BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2011-05-20 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3509251

Regular
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - FULL
Linda, what spring are you doing July 24th?

2011-05-20 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3509157

User image

Iowa
I am able to start working out now, I'll just start slow and easy for a week or so.
2011-05-20 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3439366

User image

Expert
I was riding this morning when a Saab pulled out of a hidden driveway cutting off my path and was only about 15 ft in front of me. I was in the aero position and had no chance to ever hit the breaks. I swerved around him but lost my edge in the process due to the wet ground, radical angle I had to take to avoid him, and having less control being in the aero position. I was on a flat going about 20 MPH. I got lucky and nothing is broken but I have a fair amount of road rash and my left elbow is swelling up. My back is also getting more sore as time passes and I have some numbness in some fingers. I think the fingers might just be from hitting and dragging on the pavement, at least I'm hopeful. I pretty much sacrificed the body to keep the bike intact. The back of my seat has a mild fray and the plastic on my right gear lever has an abrasion. Miraculously I could find no other damage but will do another check tonight when I'm not as frazzled.

The stopped and asked it I was OK and I started yelling at him asking WTF he was thinking pulling out like that and he drove off. I know where he lives but I don't know if I have any legal recourse in this matter.

Last Wednesday going to workout my car got hit by a deer that literally jumped out of the woods and hit my hood. From a glass half full perspective the car had minimal damage as it was all contained to the hood as the deer literally landed on it and bounced off. I was uninjured and the deer ran away. Luckily I was only going 30. Today also could have been much worse.had I hit the Saab, apologies to any Saab drivers but I've always hated Saab drivers as a general rule. I could have easily have broken my collar bone the way I hit or my elbow. From a glass half empty perspective, WTF.!?
2011-05-20 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3508722

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2011-05-19 4:48 PM

everlong - 2011-05-19 2:38 PM I'm doing 3 Olympics and if those go well I'll do a half in the fall.

Is this your first year doing triathlons?

I've been quasi training for a bit and did my first sprint last year in September. I've only started to take it semi-seriously since about last July. The thing about sprints is for all the money and effort to do them they are over pretty quickly. For the time invested and the cost between the average sprint and Olympic it's a better value to me. Long answer for sort of.

2011-05-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3509635

Regular

everlong - 2011-05-20 8:37 AM I was riding this morning when a Saab pulled out of a hidden driveway cutting off my path and was only about 15 ft in front of me. I was in the aero position and had no chance to ever hit the breaks. I swerved around him but lost my edge in the process due to the wet ground, radical angle I had to take to avoid him, and having less control being in the aero position. I was on a flat going about 20 MPH. I got lucky and nothing is broken but I have a fair amount of road rash and my left elbow is swelling up. My back is also getting more sore as time passes and I have some numbness in some fingers. I think the fingers might just be from hitting and dragging on the pavement, at least I'm hopeful. I pretty much sacrificed the body to keep the bike intact. The back of my seat has a mild fray and the plastic on my right gear lever has an abrasion. Miraculously I could find no other damage but will do another check tonight when I'm not as frazzled.

The stopped and asked it I was OK and I started yelling at him asking WTF he was thinking pulling out like that and he drove off. I know where he lives but I don't know if I have any legal recourse in this matter.

Last Wednesday going to workout my car got hit by a deer that literally jumped out of the woods and hit my hood. From a glass half full perspective the car had minimal damage as it was all contained to the hood as the deer literally landed on it and bounced off. I was uninjured and the deer ran away. Luckily I was only going 30. Today also could have been much worse.had I hit the Saab, apologies to any Saab drivers but I've always hated Saab drivers as a general rule. I could have easily have broken my collar bone the way I hit or my elbow. From a glass half empty perspective, WTF.!?

I am so sorry to hear about that. How lucky you were that you came out of this without a broken bone.  Good luck with healing quickly, I do get worried about getting hurt like that right now when I'm in the depths of training.  Good news on the bike too, like you said, glass half full Undecided

I would definitely call the police just to get something filed.  Better safe than sorry.

2011-05-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3509420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
shellback1998 - 2011-05-20 5:49 AM
thor67 - 2011-05-19 11:41 PM
scout142 - 2011-05-19 8:28 PM
thor67 - 2011-05-19 4:28 PM

What length of race is everyone training for?? Myself, I am doing an Olympic.

Also, this is my first triathlon ever, how about everyone else(Scott, you of course are not included in this question.Smile)

Going for sprint length this year. First one is 6/18, then 9/11, and again 10/2. shooting for an Olympic next spring or so....that's my goal anyway. When is your race?

My Olympic is July 17 in beautiful British Columbia. Great scenery but in the mountains. Oh well it will be off to the hot springs right after. I am going try sneak in a sprint in June or early July if possible and another Olympic in August hopefully.

I think you should find a race. I think you're ready

Hmm, not for an Olympic. Well I could do it, but could I do it as good as I want to??(or is it just the fear factor?)  There are a few nearby June 19 and 26 I may try get into...will keep you posted!

2011-05-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3509425

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-19 10:15 PM

Still not the fastest pace with the run (ran it at a 5.5 pace) but was happy with how I felt.

Hi Jen! What does 5.5 pace mean? =)

~Roland

2011-05-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3509927

Regular
kloofyroland - 2011-05-20 10:54 AM
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-19 10:15 PM

Still not the fastest pace with the run (ran it at a 5.5 pace) but was happy with how I felt.

Hi Jen! What does 5.5 pace mean? =)

~Roland

5.5 mph running - so about an 11 minute mile

2011-05-20 11:02 AM

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia

everlong - 2011-05-20 9:37 AM I was riding this morning when a Saab pulled out of a hidden driveway cutting off my path and was only about 15 ft in front of me. I was in the aero position and had no chance to ever hit the breaks. I swerved around him but lost my edge in the process due to the wet ground, radical angle I had to take to avoid him, and having less control being in the aero position. I was on a flat going about 20 MPH. I got lucky and nothing is broken but I have a fair amount of road rash and my left elbow is swelling up. My back is also getting more sore as time passes and I have some numbness in some fingers. I think the fingers might just be from hitting and dragging on the pavement, at least I'm hopeful. I pretty much sacrificed the body to keep the bike intact. The back of my seat has a mild fray and the plastic on my right gear lever has an abrasion. Miraculously I could find no other damage but will do another check tonight when I'm not as frazzled.

Way to sacrifice yourself to save the bike everlong! - JK, glad to hear it wasn't worse, darn SAAB drivers!

2011-05-20 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3509563

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

jimyak - 2011-05-20 6:15 AM I am able to start working out now, I'll just start slow and easy for a week or so.

Good to hear that Jimyak!  What are your workout plans for this weekend? =)

~Roland

2011-05-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3509672

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-20 6:50 AM

I am so sorry to hear about that. How lucky you were that you came out of this without a broken bone.  Good luck with healing quickly, I do get worried about getting hurt like that right now when I'm in the depths of training.  Good news on the bike too, like you said, glass half full Undecided

I would definitely call the police just to get something filed.  Better safe than sorry.

I agree with Jen.  I hope you got relevant info from the driver.  Grrrr!  Sorry to hear about that bro.  My swimming and cycling partner had an accident similar to that many years ago going down a hill in Griffith Park... a black pickup truck pulled out in front of him and he hit it head on and woke up in the hospital 3 days later.  He has some metal in his right collar bone area.  To this day, that story tells me to always wear my helmet no matter what distance and that I will train no one let alone ride with anyone who does not wear a helmet.  I wish you a speedy recovery my triathlon friend!

~Roland

2011-05-20 11:20 AM

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia

So, did a 30 min run and some core exercises Wed night when i got to the hotel - proud of myself   BUT, I had to keep slowing down to stay in Z2 ....like ALOT! I was practically walking fast so my pace was way off what I had been doing, but again, proud of myself for using/following the HRM.  Took Thursday off, and killed my sprints in the pool this morning.  200 w/u, 10x50 (30"), 200 drills (50 each of kick, pull, one arm, and FRACK (borrowed that one from Thor, its kinda fun!)), then 4 x 25 (15"), 100 c/d.  So mostly sprints today, but i was truckin (for me) and felt great.

2011-05-20 12:24 PM

User image

Wow, everlong you really have some bad karma surrounding you.  I am glad you are ok.  I ride mostly on trails because of my fear of cars, but I live in the Minneapolis suburbs and so the traffic is pretty heavy, plus we have lots of trails.  I'd definitely file something with the police but I'm so glad you are ok.  I guess your split second responses are spot on.

Jen - I want to do the Chisago Lakes Sprint on July 24th.  It's just north of Wyoming and so is within driving distance.  The big thing is that once again the swim is only 1/4 mile and that is my weakest link.  The bike is 22.6 miles and so I like the longer bike and the run is 3.31 miles.  I am definitely not in shape yet to go longer than a sprint.  But as I look at September/October I plan to keep my options open.

Shellback - as far as competition I have only 2 goals for this sprint.  1.  DO NOT GET RESCUED IN THE SWIM (ha,ha) 2. Finish.  And the highlight will be to meet Jen in person.  I am pretty competitive though.  Especially with the run.  I'm like why run the same pace as the person ahead of me if I can just put forth alittle effort and run the same pace but in front of them?

Have a great day.  Hubby is going to the 5K tomorrow with me and so I will have him take a picture after the race and post it here so everyone can see what I look like.  I'm the 52 year old slightly overweight lady with no make-up but with a huge smile on my face.

Have a great day and stay safe out there! (Everlong that was directed at you!)

Linda

2011-05-20 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3510091

Regular
tashia153 - 2011-05-20 12:24 PM

Wow, everlong you really have some bad karma surrounding you.  I am glad you are ok.  I ride mostly on trails because of my fear of cars, but I live in the Minneapolis suburbs and so the traffic is pretty heavy, plus we have lots of trails.  I'd definitely file something with the police but I'm so glad you are ok.  I guess your split second responses are spot on.

Jen - I want to do the Chisago Lakes Sprint on July 24th.  It's just north of Wyoming and so is within driving distance.  The big thing is that once again the swim is only 1/4 mile and that is my weakest link.  The bike is 22.6 miles and so I like the longer bike and the run is 3.31 miles.  I am definitely not in shape yet to go longer than a sprint.  But as I look at September/October I plan to keep my options open.

Shellback - as far as competition I have only 2 goals for this sprint.  1.  DO NOT GET RESCUED IN THE SWIM (ha,ha) 2. Finish.  And the highlight will be to meet Jen in person.  I am pretty competitive though.  Especially with the run.  I'm like why run the same pace as the person ahead of me if I can just put forth alittle effort and run the same pace but in front of them?

Have a great day.  Hubby is going to the 5K tomorrow with me and so I will have him take a picture after the race and post it here so everyone can see what I look like.  I'm the 52 year old slightly overweight lady with no make-up but with a huge smile on my face.

Linda

Definitely Linda, we'll have to meet up at the North Mankato tri, it would be fun!

2011-05-20 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3510091

User image

Expert
tashia153 - 2011-05-20 1:24 PM

Linda

Nothing wrong with being competitive. You're going to have an amazing run and look forward in hearing how it goes. Have fun smiling!

Scott

2011-05-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3510229

User image

Expert
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-20 2:27 PM
tashia153 - 2011-05-20 12:24 PM

Linda

Definitely Linda, we'll have to meet up at the North Mankato tri, it would be fun!

That's awesome. So cool how people live so close to each other that the can even compete against each other

2011-05-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3509519

User image

Expert
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-20 8:55 AM

I was contemplating between the Garmin and the Polar.  I really wanted the Garmin, but it was $400 and the Polar was $190 - so  I went with the Polar.  Plus, my current HRM is a Polar so it is compatible with it. 

I want to get a new Garmin HRM with the GPS so if/when I upgrade I'll probably upgrade my computer too then.  It's just so much money (I keep on thinking of it as an investment but when I do that, I spend a lot more).

Well save up for it. You'll be able to get data like this. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86407579

Scott

2011-05-20 1:57 PM

User image

Expert

everlong - 2011-05-20 9:37 AM I was riding this morning when a Saab pulled out of a hidden driveway cutting off my path and was only about 15 ft in front of me. I was in the aero position and had no chance to ever hit the breaks. I swerved around him but lost my edge in the process due to the wet ground, radical angle I had to take to avoid him, and having less control being in the aero position. I was on a flat going about 20 MPH. I got lucky and nothing is broken but I have a fair amount of road rash and my left elbow is swelling up. My back is also getting more sore as time passes and I have some numbness in some fingers. I think the fingers might just be from hitting and dragging on the pavement, at least I'm hopeful. I pretty much sacrificed the body to keep the bike intact. The back of my seat has a mild fray and the plastic on my right gear lever has an abrasion. Miraculously I could find no other damage but will do another check tonight when I'm not as frazzled.

Yeah, Not sure if I want to bike with you anymore. I'm glad that you're ok though teammate! Rest up, take some ibuprofen and remember to ice.  Sorry to hear about the road rash... Are you still going to stop by tomorrow?

Scott

2011-05-20 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3509563

User image

Expert

jimyak - 2011-05-20 9:15 AM I am able to start working out now, I'll just start slow and easy for a week or so.

Sounds good man! Glad to have ya back. Take your time, get back in the swing of things. Don't go out to hard, ease back into it

Scott

2011-05-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3510299

Regular
shellback1998 - 2011-05-20 1:56 PM

I was contemplating between the Garmin and the Polar.  I really wanted the Garmin, but it was $400 and the Polar was $190 - so  I went with the Polar.  Plus, my current HRM is a Polar so it is compatible with it. 

I want to get a new Garmin HRM with the GPS so if/when I upgrade I'll probably upgrade my computer too then.  It's just so much money (I keep on thinking of it as an investment but when I do that, I spend a lot more).

Scott

I don't have sufficient access to see that..  As you can tell, my Friday is nice and slow (I'm actually going to head out a little early today to get another run in before my training with the trainer.

2011-05-20 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3510323

User image

Expert
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-20 3:07 PM
shellback1998 - 2011-05-20 1:56 PM

Scott

I don't have sufficient access to see that..  As you can tell, my Friday is nice and slow (I'm actually going to head out a little early today to get another run in before my training with the trainer.

Sorry, try again!

Scott

2011-05-20 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3510306

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2011-05-20 2:57 PM

Yeah, Not sure if I want to bike with you anymore. I'm glad that you're ok though teammate! Rest up, take some ibuprofen and remember to ice.  Sorry to hear about the road rash... Are you still going to stop by tomorrow?

Thanks. I'm going to play it by ear and see how I feel. If I get out of bed and feel OK I'll make a showing. If I can barely walk I'm likely to not leave the house.

Thanks to all for the well wishes.

I forgot to put that I'm a stubborn MF who still rode home 10 miles after this happened which probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world and will only add to my soreness once I tighten up over night. But long term obviously I'll be good.

Another interesting tidbit from my Garmin data. My heart rate spiked from 133 to 165 at the same time my speed went from 19 MPH to 0 MPH. My highest heart rate the rest of the ride was 158.

2011-05-20 5:14 PM

Peterborough
Glad your ok everlong. It can get dangerous out there with some of these idiot drivers!
2011-05-21 11:57 AM

User image

First off, everlong are you doing ok?  Or are you stiff and hobbling around like a (battered and bruised) old man?

Second of all, I raced my 5K today with a time of 29:52 which is 7 minutes faster than last year.  I placed myself to far back at the start.  In a normal race I think I would have been in the right area but this was a different kind of race since there were walkers right up behind the first row of racers.  So, first problem was getting around all of the walkers, jumping the curb into long wet grass and back on the road.  Next, although it was chip timed there wasn't a pad at the start line.  Weird huh?  But I had my watch so that was good enough for me. And last, I really don't believe they had the mile markers set right.  I went out pretty slow and was 9:20 at the first mile.  This was after almost walking trying to wriggle around people, jumping curbs and running in the long wet grass.  The 2 mile marker I was at 17:56 and then the last mile was like really long and I was running faster than the first mile but my total time makes me look like it was slower.  Anyway, happy with the overall time and also now I have an avatar so all you youngsters can see what the old lady in the group looks like.

It's raining here and we are going shopping for a vehicle for my.  Piston blew in my jeep but that baby had 188,000 on it and I really loved it.  With 3 still in college this is really going to put a stop to any left over cash flow that I had.  Such is life!

Linda

2011-05-21 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3511294

User image

Expert
tashia153 - 2011-05-21 12:57 PM

First off, everlong are you doing ok?  Or are you stiff and hobbling around like a (battered and bruised) old man?

Second of all, I raced my 5K today with a time of 29:52 which is 7 minutes faster than last year.

Great job Linda. That's some serious improvement.

Thanks, I'm doing ok. The side delt is sore and it should be absorbing most of the fall. Elbow is also tender but not as bad as expected. My side by the oblique is also a little sore which I didn't expect but it's not shocking either. More than likely I'll do a short ride tomorrow and a run on Monday. Tuesday's swim is the one I'm not certain about. It's the upper body that got rocked.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67