BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2012-01-18 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3997874

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: bigDH's accountability training -- closed -- good luck out there!
swimmindy - 2012-01-18 2:50 PM

On a completey unrelated triathlon note:

I had a very exciting birthday present - I was accepted to the University of Texas - Austin's doctoral program for sports management!!!!

So I've added a few more goals for this year:
*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment
*Goal weight of 175 before school starts Aug 29th
*Find bike routes in Austin
*Apply for the Livestrong internship 

This is one excited birthday girl - considering this day did not start on a happy note.

Mel - Happy Birthday!  What a fantastic present!  What do you plan on using your degree for, Doctor?

2012-01-18 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Bronx
swimmindy - 2012-01-18 3:50 PM

I had a very exciting birthday present - I was accepted to the University of Texas - Austin's doctoral program for sports management!!!!

*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment

This is one excited birthday girl - considering this day did not start on a happy note.

Congratulations, and happy birthday too! Sports management sounds really interesting. What do you want to do in the field? My former supervisor left NYC for Austin for law school last fall - he seems to love it.

So, I woke up this morning and felt something weird in my eye, as though something was caught in there. Long story short, it bothered me enough to make an appt with an ophthalmologist later in the day, and it turns out I tore my cornea somehow, likely just from having dry eyes (who knew?) Anyway, I'm now on prescription eye drops and I don't think I'm allowed to swim until it's resolved. So, it's a run and bike intensive week for me until the dr says it's okay. Thank god for good health insurance, cause the eye drops alone would have put me out $120! I also decided I don't actually want to run the NYC marathon this year, thus saving me another $226 (seriously. that's just crazy) so I celebrated by buying myself a trainer tire and some clearance Saucony Mirage running shoes. Hope everyone is having a great week!

2012-01-19 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
swimmindy - 2012-01-18 1:50 PM

*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment

Wow that is awesome news.

So what is sports management? What do you want to be when you grow up?
2012-01-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3943114

User image

short 2 mile recovery run...  drives me crazy to slow down as much as they want you to... but i am the student in this game for sure and ill listen!  (i keep telling myself that)  Then a 20 mile bike... will be my first ride on my p2  
2012-01-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3999417

User image

Champion
Calgary
rn86314 - 2012-01-19 9:17 AM

short 2 mile recovery run...  drives me crazy to slow down as much as they want you to... but i am the student in this game for sure and ill listen!  (i keep telling myself that)  Then a 20 mile bike... will be my first ride on my p2  

That is a mother. Took me a long time to get Hard and Easy. What I tell myself on my slow runs is that it is really a part of the next days run. Go easy now so I can go hard the next day. I now even, gasp, let myself walk on an easy run if I just feel like it. I also find if I do my hard runs properly, going easy really isn't much of a challenge.

Since you are doing the BarryP method, I running different paces on different days?
2012-01-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3998573

User image

Champion
Calgary
katieduffy - 2012-01-18 7:43 PM

swimmindy - 2012-01-18 3:50 PM

*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment

Congratulations, and happy birthday too! Sports management sounds really interesting. What do you want to do in the field? My former supervisor left NYC for Austin for law school last fall - he seems to love it.

So, I woke up this morning and felt something weird in my eye, as though something was caught in there. Long story short, it bothered me enough to make an appt with an ophthalmologist later in the day, and it turns out I tore my cornea somehow, likely just from having dry eyes (who knew?) Anyway, I'm now on prescription eye drops and I don't think I'm allowed to swim until it's resolved. So, it's a run and bike intensive week for me until the dr says it's okay. Thank god for good health insurance, cause the eye drops alone would have put me out $120! I also decided I don't actually want to run the NYC marathon this year, thus saving me another $226 (seriously. that's just crazy) so I celebrated by buying myself a trainer tire and some clearance Saucony Mirage running shoes. Hope everyone is having a great week!

akkkk, well good thing you got it taken care of before it got infected. Hope it heals up soon.

2012-01-19 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3999472

User image

BigDH - 2012-01-18 5:43 PM
rn86314 - 2012-01-19 9:17 AM short 2 mile recovery run...  drives me crazy to slow down as much as they want you to... but i am the student in this game for sure and ill listen!  (i keep telling myself that)  Then a 20 mile bike... will be my first ride on my p2  
That is a mother. Took me a long time to get Hard and Easy. What I tell myself on my slow runs is that it is really a part of the next days run. Go easy now so I can go hard the next day. I now even, gasp, let myself walk on an easy run if I just feel like it. I also find if I do my hard runs properly, going easy really isn't much of a challenge. Since you are doing the BarryP method, I running different paces on different days?

Yeah kind of.... my med runs i push myself, i figure this is where my speed will come and are my "work outs".  my longer runs (which really are not long yet lol) are at a comfortable/conversation pace... 1030 for me right now i have found.   My short run... painfully slow is what it is supposed to be i am going now and ill do 11... but mcmillan says 1145 

I was looking everywhere to get some info on how to get back in to running... was so lost and his ideas sounded like they could get me back and running 6 days a week is going to do it :-

any suggestions would be great!

2012-01-19 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3998450

User image

Qua17 - 2012-01-18 8:37 PM
swimmindy - 2012-01-18 2:50 PM

*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment

Mel - Happy Birthday!  What a fantastic present!  What do you plan on using your degree for, Doctor?

Thanks!  The ultimate goal is to develop a program that alleviates some of the stress collegiate athletes feel as they are transitioning out of college, and most of them are "retiring" from their sport.  The NCAA has the Life Skills program but it is still lacking in areas such as how to leave behind your support system and create a new one; or how one's nutrition needs change after they stop working out 20+ hours a week; things like that, things that some of my teammates and I have struggled with after graduating.

2012-01-19 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3999172

User image

BigDH - 2012-01-19 9:42 AM

*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment

Wow that is awesome news. So what is sports management? What do you want to be when you grow up?

I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up... I just know what I want to do.  That's to work with collegiate and professional athletes as they transition out of their sport.

2012-01-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3985495

User image

Veteran
Maryland
katieduffy - 2012-01-12 7:40 AM
Qua17 - 2012-01-12 7:27 AM

Morning y'all:

Hope things are going well for you.  I hit the pool again today and got in almost 10 laps.  However - I can't seem to improve my time.  Right now, I'm averaging 3:16 per 100 yards. Question - now that I've hit the distance for my first tri in May, what are some specific things I can do to improve my speed.

Thanks in advance for your advice!  Have a great day!

David - I'm by no means an expert swimmer, but for me one of the biggest things was body position, i.e., keeping your head (& lungs) low in the water and keeping your legs and butt high so they're not dragging along behind you. There's so much more to it that I have no idea about but body position would be first and most important. Good luck!!! I'm still trying to work on that, plus not crossing my arms over my body, and improving my catch. I'm sure once I have those down I'll find plenty more!

I was in the pool this morning, 1000 yards. My flip turn skillz are the bomb, yo! Ha ha! After trying to teach myself to flipturn the last couple of times I was in the pool I think I now have it down so that it's less awkward. It makes me feel like a legit swimmer.

Congrats on the flip turn! Knew you could do it!

2012-01-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3999570

User image

Champion
Calgary
rn86314 - 2012-01-19 10:19 AM

rn86314 - 2012-01-19 9:17 AM short 2 mile recovery run...  drives me crazy to slow down as much as they want you to... but i am the student in this game for sure and ill listen!  (i keep telling myself that)  Then a 20 mile bike... will be my first ride on my p2  
That is a mother. Took me a long time to get Hard and Easy. What I tell myself on my slow runs is that it is really a part of the next days run. Go easy now so I can go hard the next day. I now even, gasp, let myself walk on an easy run if I just feel like it. I also find if I do my hard runs properly, going easy really isn't much of a challenge. Since you are doing the BarryP method, I running different paces on different days?

Yeah kind of.... my med runs i push myself, i figure this is where my speed will come and are my "work outs".  my longer runs (which really are not long yet lol) are at a comfortable/conversation pace... 1030 for me right now i have found.   My short run... painfully slow is what it is supposed to be i am going now and ill do 11... but mcmillan says 1145 

I was looking everywhere to get some info on how to get back in to running... was so lost and his ideas sounded like they could get me back and running 6 days a week is going to do it :-

I love mcmillian. Which result are you using to generate your paces?

I am a great believer in taking it slow. Given your overall mileage I think you need to be careful in putting to much intensity in. Still, if you a running 6 days a week and getting in less than 20k a week, I think you need to up your base short run. Frankly, I do not get the point of running, or doing anything, for less than 30 min. Sometimes it is all the time you have but otherwise you spend more time changing than working out.

I am not sure how you picked your short run distance. How did you? I would up it to 4.5 - 5 k, then adjust your other runs accordingly. That would be quite a jump for you, not sure how you feel about it. I mean percentage wise it is a big jump but time wise it really is not a lot of added time. I would do it. Maybe just start with the short runs and keep the other runs the same distance and increase them all gradually.

2012-01-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3990173

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Qua17 - 2012-01-14 11:58 AM

Morning y'all:

I just wanted to check in and share some good news.  I hit the scale today and discovered that I had dropped below 240 for the first time in a year.  If I can lose 2 more pounds this week - that will equal a 10% weight loss in 9 weeks.  Sweet.  Like Kevin, I've still got some weight to go and I'd like to ask in advance for some encouragement in a few weeks when my motivation goes down the toilet.

On tap for this weekend - an hour and a half on the trainer (gonna stick to my goal of only watching Biggest Loser when I'm working out), a hour walk on Sunday, and a couple of cold ones (Sierra Nevada's new rye, which I can't wait to try!) to reward myself for a good week!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

DQ

Congrats on the weightloss!

2012-01-19 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4000057

User image

Champion
Calgary
swimmindy - 2012-01-19 1:40 PM

BigDH - 2012-01-19 9:42 AM

*Find financial aid
*Find an apartment

Wow that is awesome news. So what is sports management? What do you want to be when you grow up?

I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up... I just know what I want to do.  That's to work with collegiate and professional athletes as they transition out of their sport.

That is interesting. I find the former athlete thing facinating. Sometimes you end up with this trim fit individual. Sometimes it is this big doughboy. Of course these are from people that I see on TV so they are doing pretty well career wise anyways.

I wonder, what is the success rate in life for a formal collegiate athlete when compared with the norm?
2012-01-19 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3996298

User image

Veteran
Maryland
rn86314 - 2012-01-17 10:06 PM

No idea how 3 years ago i was laying down miles like they were nothing and never batting an eye at 7:45 to 8:10 min/mile training runs....

my last three 4 mile runs have been at 9:57, 10:16 and 10:00 min paces and it seems fast lol.  I started back 2 months ago at 13 min per mile for my first 2 mile run.  I know there is progress... i can see and feel but ... just seems that you fight and scrape for each step forward lol

Great job on the progress! No worries, the speed will return!

2012-01-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3999570

User image

Veteran
Maryland
rn86314 - 2012-01-19 12:19 PM

Wow! Running six times a week really sounds like a lot to me. In my past half marathon trainings, I would run 4 times a week. In my current half marathon training, I'm running 5 times a week. (And kinda surprised that I'm doing it, because the "extra" run is done the day after the long run...and I still feel OK!) But, I do tend to be on the conservative side!

2012-01-19 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4000159

User image

BigDH - 2012-01-18 10:25 PM

I love mcmillian. Which result are you using to generate your paces? I am a great believer in taking it slow. Given your overall mileage I think you need to be careful in putting to much intensity in. Still, if you a running 6 days a week and getting in less than 20k a week, I think you need to up your base short run. Frankly, I do not get the point of running, or doing anything, for less than 30 min. Sometimes it is all the time you have but otherwise you spend more time changing than working out. I am not sure how you picked your short run distance. How did you? I would up it to 4.5 - 5 k, then adjust your other runs accordingly. That would be quite a jump for you, not sure how you feel about it. I mean percentage wise it is a big jump but time wise it really is not a lot of added time. I would do it. Maybe just start with the short runs and keep the other runs the same distance and increase them all gradually.

I just started with that program at the 2 4 6 part for a half im.  I figured i could keep up with the mileage with no problem to start.

The short runs go up quickly.. next week from 2 to 3 and on and up from there.

not sure if we are talking the same but my numbers were in miles... so 6 runs this week = 20 m or 32k

runs will be 3.2k (x3) , 6.5k (x2) , and a long of 9.5k this week

2012-01-19 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

My wife and I are dropping kidlets off at friends and leaving town this weekend to celebrate her b-day.  To adjust for not working out this weekend, I had to rearange callender this week to get all workouts in.  Tomorrow will be my 9.5 mile long run outside in snow.  Love training through the winter.

I killed it on the spin bike this morning.  (that just sounds funny to me.)  I was riding like a 22.5 mile/hour pace over 1:35 minutes in gear 12-14,15.  I wish this would translate to my 10 speed on the road.  speaking of 10 speed, I've been drooling over the used bikes in the classified adds on this site.  I would give my left arm to upgrade.  I have a mid 90's Cannondale 10 speed.  pretty old technology for what's out there today.  I think it'll do for my HIM this summer, but can't wait to upgrade for following years IM.

Only lost .4 yesterday.  It's loss, and that's gain.  down to 191. 

Keep posting.

Mindy, Killer pool workout.  A couple of you guys' speed workouts in the pool make me crawl up into the fetal position.

2012-01-20 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4000699

User image

Champion
Calgary
kevinbe - 2012-01-19 8:23 PM

My wife and I are dropping kidlets off at friends and leaving town this weekend to celebrate her b-day.  To adjust for not working out this weekend, I had to rearange callender this week to get all workouts in.  Tomorrow will be my 9.5 mile long run outside in snow.  Love training through the winter.

I killed it on the spin bike this morning.  (that just sounds funny to me.)  I was riding like a 22.5 mile/hour pace over 1:35 minutes in gear 12-14,15.  I wish this would translate to my 10 speed on the road.  speaking of 10 speed, I've been drooling over the used bikes in the classified adds on this site.  I would give my left arm to upgrade.  I have a mid 90's Cannondale 10 speed.  pretty old technology for what's out there today.  I think it'll do for my HIM this summer, but can't wait to upgrade for following years IM.

Keep posting.

Mindy, Killer pool workout.  A couple of you guys' speed workouts in the pool make me crawl up into the fetal position.

That is awesome work. It is always tough when confronted with a couple days you don't want to take off. I always try to squeeze them in, not sure this is always the best choice but it hasn't given me any problems yet. Good work!
2012-01-20 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4000256

User image

Champion
Calgary
rn86314 - 2012-01-19 3:13 PM

BigDH - 2012-01-18 10:25 PM

I love mcmillian. Which result are you using to generate your paces? I am a great believer in taking it slow. Given your overall mileage I think you need to be careful in putting to much intensity in. Still, if you a running 6 days a week and getting in less than 20k a week, I think you need to up your base short run. Frankly, I do not get the point of running, or doing anything, for less than 30 min. Sometimes it is all the time you have but otherwise you spend more time changing than working out. I am not sure how you picked your short run distance. How did you? I would up it to 4.5 - 5 k, then adjust your other runs accordingly. That would be quite a jump for you, not sure how you feel about it. I mean percentage wise it is a big jump but time wise it really is not a lot of added time. I would do it. Maybe just start with the short runs and keep the other runs the same distance and increase them all gradually.

I just started with that program at the 2 4 6 part for a half im.  I figured i could keep up with the mileage with no problem to start.

The short runs go up quickly.. next week from 2 to 3 and on and up from there.

not sure if we are talking the same but my numbers were in miles... so 6 runs this week = 20 m or 32k

runs will be 3.2k (x3) , 6.5k (x2) , and a long of 9.5k this week

oh I see now, I was looking at your mileage for the last 4 weeks. I see that you are ahead that now.
2012-01-20 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2012-01-19 8:23 PM

Keep posting.

keep looking for your bike. Let all your friends know. I did this and ended up with a 12 yr old carbon fibre trek with tri bars for $100. bought a seat post, new tires, a tune up and I was ready to roll. I call it  my Barney bike. It is a beautiful purple color....

2012-01-20 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well training is up in the air this week/weekend. Wife's Grandmother's funeral today/tomorrow. A large family so lots of eating and drinking today and tomorrow. Will try for a run this afternoon and maybe early tomorrow morning but time will tell as I am not driving this train. Brought my running gear and will see what shakes out!

Have a great  weekend everyone!

2012-01-20 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4001419

User image

Champion
Calgary
thor67 - 2012-01-20 9:08 AM

Well training is up in the air this week/weekend. Wife's Grandmother's funeral today/tomorrow. A large family so lots of eating and drinking today and tomorrow. Will try for a run this afternoon and maybe early tomorrow morning but time will tell as I am not driving this train. Brought my running gear and will see what shakes out!

Have a great  weekend everyone!

My condolences. Regarding the food/drink, I have been trying to go into those situations with a plan. Even if it is a poor plan, like limit yourself to 6 beers and half a bag of nachos. I am prone to excess, but I find if I give my self a relatively liberal upper limit I usually don't go over it, which is a victory. Another strategy I use is to plan that run for the next day. That is usually good for saving me consuming an extra beer or 2. Even if I don't go at least I didn't up my calories too much.

Tough on getting a workout in during such a time. I wish it was more socially acceptable to bond over a hike in the woods or a trip to the wave pool as opposed to food.

Even a 15 min walk or run does wonders for the body and spirit.

2012-01-20 12:38 PM

User image

I managed a double today, swam for 1800 yards and then biked for 32 minutes.

I did some stretching before I got in the water because I had to wait for a lane, but I felt really good and smooth in the water.  I played the bike by ear and kept the intensity low so I didn't over do it.

The swim set was:

200 warm up 
50 free, 50 back, 50 free, 50 breast 

Build up 
4 x 100 back rest :20 

Core (2x) 1st - no fins, 2nd - fins 
5 x 100 free rest :15 

100 EZ

This weekend I will be at a birthday party for my cousin's 1st birthday, which is 3 hours away.  So nothing planned for tomorrow.  Sunday's plan is for a long ride.  I start a new training program on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

Have a great weekend everyone.

2012-01-21 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Forecast was for 0 c this afternoon. Ha. Liars . Currently -14 Ahhhhhhhhhhh. So tired of the cold.
2012-01-21 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2012-01-19 9:23 PM

Keep posting.

Nice job on the weight loss...way to keep losing and not gaining!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  

of 94