BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 191

2012-04-10 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4140860

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: swbkrun mentor group 6 years running OPEN

JustWood - 2012-04-10 12:22 PM Jayla & Kayne are new to me...

Have another beer and try again!!!

2012-04-10 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4123816

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great finish line photo!!! Awesome.
2012-04-10 1:10 PM

Well.....This group just what I need.....I think?????

Name: NHJAKE/Jeremy

Story: I've struggled with being "Big" my whole life. I'm a firefighter and need to be in good shape. So about 5 years ago I was doing the C25K plan....As I was doing my first 5k I Fx my leg...didn't know it at the time and hobbled around for a week after not knowing!!! Surprised...last summer I started to walk/jog routine again...Did a 5k...then slacked off until the first the year. Statred doing the eliptical at the firehouse and then on did the 2mile Shamrock Shuffle with my oldest daughter Emma...her first race!

Family Status: Married to Kerri (10yrs)...3 Daughters Emma(8) Lia(6) Nora (3)....And we recently found out we are expecting our 4 child in November!Smile

Current Training: Have been doing S/B/R 6 Days a week....Plus light workout with weights 2 days. Have looked at several "free" plans, however they would be hard for me to use due to my work schedule at the firehouse....so I'm trying to develope a plan that works for me.

2011 Races: Half Way to St. Patricks Day 5K.......Hey there was FREE Guinness @ The Finish!!! What can I say.....

2012 Races: Shamrock Shuffle 2 miler.... Circle Triathlon Sprint 9/2....Half Way to St.Patricks Day 5k 9/23......And what ever else pops up.

Goals: Lose 25 lbs.....Finish My FIRST Triathlon....Be in the best shape of my life when I hit 40!

2012-04-10 1:11 PM

Story: I've struggled with being "Big" my whole life. I'm a firefighter and need to be in good shape. So about 5 years ago I was doing the C25K plan....As I was doing my first 5k I Fx my leg...didn't know it at the time and hobbled around for a week after not knowing!!! Surprised...last summer I started to walk/jog routine again...Did a 5k...then slacked off until the first the year. Statred doing the eliptical at the firehouse and then on did the 2mile Shamrock Shuffle with my oldest daughter Emma...her first race!

Family Status: Married to Kerri (10yrs)...3 Daughters Emma(8) Lia(6) Nora (3)....And we recently found out we are expecting our 4 child in November!Smile

Current Training: Have been doing S/B/R 6 Days a week....Plus light workout with weights 2 days. Have looked at several "free" plans, however they would be hard for me to use due to my work schedule at the firehouse....so I'm trying to develope a plan that works for me.

2011 Races: Half Way to St. Patricks Day 5K.......Hey there was FREE Guinness @ The Finish!!! What can I say.....

2012 Races: Shamrock Shuffle 2 miler.... Circle Triathlon Sprint 9/2....Half Way to St.Patricks Day 5k 9/23......And what ever else pops up.

Goals: Lose 25 lbs.....Finish My FIRST Triathlon....Be in the best shape of my life when I hit 40!

2012-04-10 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
They need treadmills and exercise bikes at the DMV. It would really make this time more productive. Especially knowing I have a medium run yet to get in.
2012-04-10 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4141160

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
jfought - 2012-04-10 1:00 PM

JustWood - 2012-04-10 12:22 PM Jayla & Kayne are new to me...

Have another beer and try again!!!

Actually... my lack of beer causes feeble attempts at self-pointed humor while attempting to post from a less than smart...smart phone. Kyla rocks... Jayne, well I am still trying to warm up to her.... Trevor is not helping my cause.

2012-04-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4141148

Regular
tahrens - 2012-04-10 1:56 PM

A fellow Savageman - awesome!   I didn't race last year but did the 30 the previous 2 years. I was bummed they changed the bike course.  Nothing like climbing Toothpick at 9% within 2 miles of getting out of the water.  And you need to go back and climb Frank Brenneman - even if you aren't racing.  That is tatoo worthy for sure. If you are looking for a half you should come back and do the Savage Half!!! 

Here is a photo of me and my girls coming down the shoot at my last Savage outing. 

Awesome finish line photo. I absolutely loved Savageman. It was by far the most fun and most difficult race that I have done. Are you saying that the 30.0 bike course used to be harder? I struggled with the one this year as it was. I would love to do the 70.0 but I don't know if I would be able to handle those hills, although I would love to tackle the Westernport Wall. 

2012-04-10 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4141314

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
klove13 - 2012-04-10 2:41 PM
tahrens - 2012-04-10 1:56 PM

A fellow Savageman - awesome!   I didn't race last year but did the 30 the previous 2 years. I was bummed they changed the bike course.  Nothing like climbing Toothpick at 9% within 2 miles of getting out of the water.  And you need to go back and climb Frank Brenneman - even if you aren't racing.  That is tatoo worthy for sure. If you are looking for a half you should come back and do the Savage Half!!! 

Here is a photo of me and my girls coming down the shoot at my last Savage outing. 

Awesome finish line photo. I absolutely loved Savageman. It was by far the most fun and most difficult race that I have done. Are you saying that the 30.0 bike course used to be harder? I struggled with the one this year as it was. I would love to do the 70.0 but I don't know if I would be able to handle those hills, although I would love to tackle the Westernport Wall. 

Yes it use to be harder.  ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I used the 70.3 as a training course for my Ironman training last year.  Wasn't during the race but I rode the course (made it a 1/3 of the way up the wall - hubby made it!!!) and then ran 20 miles on the run course the next day.  All the rumors are true about that bike course, the wall is the easiest of the climbs!  I swear the cows chewed faster than I climbed Killer MIller.

For those of you not familiar with the wall, check this video out.  It is a section of the Savageman HIM bike course that is 31% grade.  This is the only HIM that offers 2 bike courses (you can go around this climb if you want).  If you make it up the wall you get your name on a brick they are using to repave the road.  My husband is bound and determined to triumph at this race some day.

NameLocation"Savage" CategoryLengthAvg GradeMax Grade
Toothpick0.5 mi4th Savagery0.25 mi9%16%
Westernport18.5 miHors Savage1.2 mi12%31%
Big Savage Mtn23.4 mi1st Savagery2.4 mi6%21%
Savage River State Forest30.0 mi4th Savagery2.8 mi4%7%
McAndrews Hill32.8 mi2nd Savagery0.6 mi9%19%
Otto Lane35.1 mi2nd Savagery0.6 mi8%17%
Killer Miller38.1 miHors Savage1.3 mi8%22%
Maynardier Ridge43.8 mi3rd Savagery0.25 mi12%23%

Edited by tahrens 2012-04-10 1:55 PM

(bricks.jpg)

(savage_640.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bricks.jpg (39KB - 17 downloads)
savage_640.jpg (85KB - 15 downloads)
2012-04-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4141205

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
NHJAKE - 2012-04-10 2:11 PM

Welcome to the group Jeremy!

2012-04-10 2:04 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Welcome to Kevin, great pics.  Way to get Tracy all GRRRRRR about Savageman! 

Welcome Jeremy!  Sounds like you've got lots going on with work, 3 kiddos, one more on the way!  And training 6 days a week.  Great job!

You tell 'em, Jayne!  Enjoying the exchange, I am.  Hey, Kyla, how's that for Yoda-ism?  Oh, wait, you can't read this, you are on a plane to Hawaii!!!!  WAAAAAH!!!!  Jealous.  Raining here non-stop.

Rob- 3x request for the workouts.  Sometime this month, please! 

2012-04-10 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Ok MG I am hoping you can assist me in creating my training schedule, I have “Anchor” workouts that I would like to build around. They are a coached brick workout on Thursday mornings, medium  group ride Tuesday mornings, Masters swim Wednesday & Friday Mornings, Coached speed workouts Wednesday evenings. I want to take advantage of the coached workouts provided by my club and masters (for the coaching and accountability motivation to show up).

So with that said that’s 2 swims, 2 runs, 2 bikes. The coached Bricks are only an hour long and are multi brick sessions, the speed workouts are usually about 20-30 mins of actually running after a dynamic warm up and some core work, masters sessions are 1 hour 2000 yds

I want to add a Long Bike, Long Run, Medium Run, and 2 Swims. My problem is the spacing of the workouts. I would prefer long rides on Saturdays and Long runs on Sundays

Monday: (AM)________, (PM)________

Tuesday: Group Ride (6AM), (PM)__________

Wednesday: Masters Swim (6-7AM), Speed Run Workout

Thursday: MultiBrick (6-7AM), (PM)_________

Friday: Masters Swim (6-7AM),(PM)__________

Saturday:

Sunday:

I am thinking Swim Monday and Tuesday, Long run Sunday, Medium run Thursday evening, Long bike Saturday

Thoughts?

2012-04-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4141203

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
NHJAKE - 2012-04-10 2:10 PM

You're going to fit right in here.  Laughing

2012-04-10 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4141379

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
GrapeJuice - 2012-04-10 3:08 PM

Ok MG I am hoping you can assist me in creating my training schedule, I have “Anchor” workouts that I would like to build around. They are a coached brick workout on Thursday mornings, medium  group ride Tuesday mornings, Masters swim Wednesday & Friday Mornings, Coached speed workouts Wednesday evenings. I want to take advantage of the coached workouts provided by my club and masters (for the coaching and accountability motivation to show up).

So with that said that’s 2 swims, 2 runs, 2 bikes. The coached Bricks are only an hour long and are multi brick sessions, the speed workouts are usually about 20-30 mins of actually running after a dynamic warm up and some core work, masters sessions are 1 hour 2000 yds

I want to add a Long Bike, Long Run, Medium Run, and 2 Swims. My problem is the spacing of the workouts. I would prefer long rides on Saturdays and Long runs on Sundays

Saturday:

Sunday:

I am thinking Swim Monday and Tuesday, Long run Sunday, Medium run Thursday evening, Long bike Saturday

Thoughts?

Here are my 2 cents: 

-  Monday swim only - after long weekends a swim only on Monday is good recovery for those legs

- Tuesday PM  run

-Thursday PM either remove or change to core/lifting

Friday - add a light run or leave blank to rest up for long weekend

My concern at first impression is too much.  Train smart - not long.  Volume doesn't equal speed and too often is equals injury.   Just remember to give yourself a recovery week about every 3 weeks.  You don't have to stop, just hold a slightly lower level on distances and efforts for that recovery week. 

2012-04-10 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
GrapeJuice - 2012-04-10 1:08 PM

Saturday:

Sunday:

Thoughts?

One quick point from me. It's great to do the long stuff back-to-back days on the weekend. That is when you have the 'time.' But when it gets LONNNNG, you can't really do it from a recovery point of view. Last summer I remember doing 2-3 hr runs on Thursday afternoons, and then doing the 180k on the bike on Saturday. If I tried to do that back to back my legs probably would have fallen off.

2012-04-10 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Question: There is a new Irongirl race near where I live, a great lake and lots of good hills to ride and run. It cost $145.00 to register. It is a sprint tri. Is this price high? I have never seen a sprint cost so much.

2012-04-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4141520

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Terps421 - 2012-04-10 1:49 PM

Question: There is a new Irongirl race near where I live, a great lake and lots of good hills to ride and run. It cost $145.00 to register. It is a sprint tri. Is this price high? I have never seen a sprint cost so much.

GAWD that's alot of $$$ for a short race. We have an Olympic here thats $100 and that seems a bit much.

But on the otherhand, it's a whole lot of chickies running around in spandex. how do you put a price on that. I've heard they even sunscreen each other and all that jazz in T1.

Maybe Julia should volunteer. She could be the 'sock-puller-upper' girl.

2012-04-10 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Terps421 - 2012-04-10 2:49 PM

For a sprint?! I think so, I am doing TriRock NY and that costs $125 which I thought was alot

2012-04-10 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4141527

User image

Master
Maryland
TrevorC - 2012-04-10 3:51 PM
Terps421 - 2012-04-10 1:49 PM

GAWD that's alot of $$$ for a short race. We have an Olympic here thats $100 and that seems a bit much.

But on the otherhand, it's a whole lot of chickies running around in spandex. how do you put a price on that. I've heard they even sunscreen each other and all that jazz in T1.

Maybe Julia should volunteer. She could be the 'sock-puller-upper' girl.

Men : )

....it does seem like a steep price, I'd really like to do it but....

2012-04-10 2:56 PM

Regular

I would say that 145 dollars is a bit high for a sprint. The ones that I have done have all been under 100.

On another note, I have a quick question for anyone who is familiar with trainers. My Triathlon Team just bought 10 new trainers to use for training (duh). Well our "A" race is in 2 weeks and the trainers just arrived a few weeks ago so everyone is still excited about using them. As a result we have about 3-4 trainer practices scheduled for this week and a similar amount for next week. However, I've heard that using you're regular tires on a trainer can be very harmful to them and result in flats. I'm worried that our whole team is going to practice on these trainers, wear out their tires, and then all flat during the race. Can anyone let me know if this is the case or if i'm just making it up. You could save my whole team a lot of grief!

2012-04-10 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4141547

User image

Master
Maryland
klove13 - 2012-04-10 3:56 PM

I would say that 145 dollars is a bit high for a sprint. The ones that I have done have all been under 100.

On another note, I have a quick question for anyone who is familiar with trainers. My Triathlon Team just bought 10 new trainers to use for training (duh). Well our "A" race is in 2 weeks and the trainers just arrived a few weeks ago so everyone is still excited about using them. As a result we have about 3-4 trainer practices scheduled for this week and a similar amount for next week. However, I've heard that using you're regular tires on a trainer can be very harmful to them and result in flats. I'm worried that our whole team is going to practice on these trainers, wear out their tires, and then all flat during the race. Can anyone let me know if this is the case or if i'm just making it up. You could save my whole team a lot of grief!

I use a different rear tire on my trainer and it gets pretty bald.

2012-04-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4141547

User image

Elite
Raleigh
klove13 - 2012-04-10 3:56 PM

I use a special Yellow tire solely for use on the trainer. Still going strong after 2.5 years and 100's of miles.

2012-04-10 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Terps421 - 2012-04-10 3:49 PM

But you get such a pretty pink shirt and pink water bottle.

I think Sam might be doing this race also. 

2012-04-10 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Did I miss a pic of someone new named Kevin?   Repost please Innocent

Welcome to the group!!

2012-04-10 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
GrapeJuice - 2012-04-10 3:08 PM

Saturday:

Sunday:

Thoughts?

thoughts... i think you're crazy.  but lets get back to that in a bit...

here's what i see in the above and your 2012 race schedule. tell me where i'm wrong. give me (us) some more input please...

• working out twice a day everyday.  the schedule above is already at 10 hours a week NOT including the long run and ride on saturday and sunday. 
  • what do you mean by long bike and run (miles or time)
  • first 70.3 in september
  • an OLY 4 weeks before the 70.3
  • 2 sprints on the horizon.
  • what are "multi-brick" sessions? 
  • when does your 70.3 plan start? 

2012-04-10 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Terps421 - 2012-04-10 3:49 PM

That sounds like a lot of $$, but I have two thoughts:

1.  If you want to do the race and you have the $$, then do it. 

2.  If you want to do the race and don't have the $$, do the race, take video, and then sell the video to Trevor to recoup your entry fee Laughing

P.S.  This group is on fire today!!

Matt, good to see you back. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  

of 191