of 41

2013-07-18 8:46 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by PsyTri

Finished first 5k in over a decade (and my second ever!). Training paying off (physically and mentally). Finished 10/41 in my gender/age group, but more importantly, I met my goal of an average pace under 8 min/mile. 7:54/mile to be exact. Very happy. It was in the rain, with puddles!

Was a good experience performing alongside others. A good challenge to learn to stay in my own head. Although I'm not at the upper level (there were some really fit athletes/runners - even some pro runners), it's hard not to feel that competitive pull. I was able to pull back into my own head and focus on my pace and my own goals. Until the end, that is, when I wanted to pass as many others as I could.

As I was coming down the home stretch, I heard this guy coming up on me and grunting. I started sprinting, and he playfully yelled, "Come On," like a challenge. I blasted through the finish line first, and then quickly felt my calves seizing up! They are better now (somewhat), but it was worth it. I had no idea what my pace was, but I'm sure that the last push brought me under the 8 min mark I was seeking. Overall, a really good training experience.

Gary

That is awesome! And you finished hard, which is always a plus.

2013-07-18 9:07 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Finished first 5k in over a decade (and my second ever!). Training paying off (physically and mentally). Finished 10/41 in my gender/age group, but more importantly, I met my goal of an average pace under 8 min/mile. 7:54/mile to be exact. Very happy. It was in the rain, with puddles!

Was a good experience performing alongside others. A good challenge to learn to stay in my own head. Although I'm not at the upper level (there were some really fit athletes/runners - even some pro runners), it's hard not to feel that competitive pull. I was able to pull back into my own head and focus on my pace and my own goals. Until the end, that is, when I wanted to pass as many others as I could.

As I was coming down the home stretch, I heard this guy coming up on me and grunting. I started sprinting, and he playfully yelled, "Come On," like a challenge. I blasted through the finish line first, and then quickly felt my calves seizing up! They are better now (somewhat), but it was worth it. I had no idea what my pace was, but I'm sure that the last push brought me under the 8 min mark I was seeking. Overall, a really good training experience.

Gary

Awesome! Congrats on meeting your goal!
2013-07-20 1:34 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
 Here are the July stats so far as of this evening:

SwimBikeRunTotal Time
strykergt12206150.156.9233:18:16
TRIal_of_miles15650258--27:07:06
Fresno_Joe7450220.655024:50:29
iLOVEwaffles7220.32136120:37:00
miche0331369086.8237.2319:59:59
knighton11736.31119.0438.6316:26:12
mbehr198313368.72122.8829.2115:58:07
superclydesdale4234114.6332.2615:45:24
wenceslasz9186.35114.218.4114:19:54
oriolepwr--129.6331.0513:37:10
PsyTri660052.417.4811:11:20
ransick----64.810:58:10
cayrip--25.5244.210:19:50
sarah73430046.1626.728:24:48
Jax--52.130.587:03:29
ybeal382539.676.025:30:49
lesandtj--78.51--4:26:39
Tri Rick Tri240019.513.12:26:46
TomsTri-ing--15.14.12:08:40

I did not include those who had no logging for this month yet.

I've got one more week of build before taper so maybe I'll catch up to one of you jokers in one of the categories.  

2013-07-20 8:38 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Joe

I know you are really busy , but you still manage to find time to post the stats.Good job Bro .They are really very helpful.Seems to be alot of you guys are currently on taper mode like: Joe,George Rebecca.

I strongly believe I will be Oly ready in two weeks. Our group have always been very helpful and manage to bring me back to the water.

More Power to our group!!!

Cheers Karl

2013-07-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt @Joe I know you are really busy , but you still manage to find time to post the stats.Good job Bro .They are really very helpful.Seems to be alot of you guys are currently on taper mode like: Joe,George Rebecca. I strongly believe I will be Oly ready in two weeks. Our group have always been very helpful and manage to bring me back to the water. More Power to our group!!! Cheers Karl
Thanks, buddy.  I find the stats to be a big motivating factor for me, so I'm glad to help. 
2013-07-20 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Good luck to wenceslasz at Lake Stevens tomorrow!

2013-07-20 8:26 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Good luck to wenceslasz at Lake Stevens tomorrow!

X2!!
2013-07-21 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Rode the 56 mile route of my 8/11 race today.  Did it with a buddy, so we were talking a lot of the time, I wasn't aero most of the time.  Quid pro quo I also pushed it a little harder than I will on race day on a couple of the uphills.  Finished in about 3:06.  Good route, I like it.  Long stretches without a shoulder, so we went at dawn to avoid traffic.  If the course is well marshalled it will be a really nice route.  I actually think the 40 mile route I've been doing with the 1650 ft climb is tougher than this route was.  Still took a lot out of me, I feel exhausted now.  I was really lax about my nutrition and drinking because I was distracted by my buddy (who hadn't ridden a road bike in a while so he drafted off me the whole time).  Based on my training route I had been thinking maybe 3:15-3:20 so I'll be thrilled with 3:05ish if that's how it goes on race day.

Oh also on a short ride on Saturday my rear tire died.  It's been on its last legs for awhile, and I had a conti gp4000s waiting to replace it, so I did so.  I also used a latex tube (was able to get it on without popping it in one go, so that was cool) because I wanted to keep the only spare butyl I had on me for the ride today.  Don't really know what affect it had, won't know till I ride a route I'm familiar with.

2013-07-21 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Not that I'm a stalker but for anyone interested, George is almost done on the Lake Stevens course: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=lakestevens70.3&y=2013#axzz2ZifVKTEM

Bib# 1154

ETA: And he's done!  Great job, George!  

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-07-21 5:15 PM
2013-07-21 10:12 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Not that I'm a stalker but for anyone interested, George is almost done on the Lake Stevens course: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=lakestevens70.3&y=2013#axzz2ZifVKTEM

Bib# 1154

Woot! Awesome race George!
2013-07-21 10:35 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by ransick

Bib# 1154

Woot! Awesome race George!

Cant wait for his report!!!! George did great in his swimming!!! and still did ok with the bike and run to make the cutoff.

George is really inspiring me more and more to hit the water again tomorrow to get ready for Aug Oly and hopefully for Nov. HIM.

More power to our group. Our group have been producing HIM's like pancakes.George now,Joe next week then Rebecca.... Goodluck to you all Athletes!!!!

2013-07-22 2:07 PM

New user

Bib# 1154

congratulations George!
2013-07-23 12:23 AM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Hi all!

I just got home a few hours ago and it took awhile to unload and decompress somewhat. I only just saw my times after I got home although I had a reasonable guess of what they were.

I'll write a proper report tomorrow but here are a few highlights:

In the four days before the race we swam in Lake Stevens a couple times - very nice and we drove the bike course (bad idea). I ride lots of hills and 700m climbing is normal for us but riding the bike route I was actually scared and certain , "I'm going to die!!". The run route had a couple good climbs as well.

Race day morning. It was cold (11C/52F) and there was thick fog. So cold we weren't sure how to dress. Got to the event. Got body marked not feeling nervous at all (Me ?). Went to the bike and set everything up under my bike. The fellow on my left kept pushing into my space and was my primary nuisance of the day.

Got on my wetsuit and headed over to the dock and our 50+ males wave group. We were wave 12 of 14 and we watched everyone ahead of us start. I remained calm and interested in what was happening. Then our wave was walked out onto a low floating dock (about 100 of us) and we hopped off into the water. One fellow lost his goggles on his jump in. I'm not sure if someone got them for him or he swam without them. Our horn sounded and we were off. The water was boiling and people were crowding but nothing too bad. I started out easy and allowed myself to warm up and ignored everyone else as best I could. There was a rope underwater along the buoy line so I was about 10-12' to the right of it and kept it there all the way out. Except when the rope turned I missed it and swam 25m further out into the lake.

I felt really fast in the water and was really enjoying the swim. People grabbing my ankles made we swim faster and very few people passed me and I caught up to many people from the two waves ahead of ours. One lady was swimming backstroke and although I passed her I was amazed at how fast she was swimming.

I came out of the water thinking it was a long 1.2miles but I don't know.

Transition was fine. I took my time rather than hurrying and kept calm. A few people in my area were off-balanced by the swim and staggering a bit. One big (nice) fellow was so unstable I held back and let him get on his bike and I kept well away from him.

As I said I was afraid of the bike route but I got going fast and just kept going. It was REALLY hard, constant ups and downs, with no flats at all. People were really friendly and chatting back and forth which made the time go faster. The last 20 miles was incredibly hard. My computer says I hit 20% grade on a couple hills. The hills were big, steep and had lots of sharp turns but fortunately they had police warning people to slow down at critical points. The worst was a fast downhill then a sudden 90deg right turn and an instantaneous steep climb (probably the 20% grade). I made it up but a lot of people were walking up. Through the worst of the hills I played "leap-frog" with a lot of people. They'd pass me and I'd pass them and this helped ride faster. I had a lot of fun on the ride but with the hills in the last 20miles I couldn't rest my legs for the run.

Coming into the finish of the bike the crowds were fantastic and people were cheering me on by name which really was neat. In transition I changed quite fast and walked out of transition hoping for my legs to get comfortable before I started running.

I felt pretty good and there were people I had met along the way that cheered me on every time I passed them on them run. I couldn't calm my heart rate down and found myself walking too much because I couldn't get my HR under control. This was my first HM and when I ran I was doing pretty well for me but I could only run half the time then I speed walked when I couldn't run. The crowds were even better on the run and it was a lot of fun even though I was way slower than I wanted.

Then this neat thing happened. I had passed the last AID station. I knew I would finish about an hour longer than I had expected but I felt good. then I came up to a group of 10 or so young people who had finished long ago and they all stood up and cheered me on, high-fiving me and encouraging me so when I was past them I started running the last mile or so and accelerated the whole way to the finish line. It felt really awesome crossing the finish line.

My time was disappointing and I don't want to swim, bike or run for a few days. Everyone was amazingly friendly and supportive.

Now I'm looking for my next one.
2013-07-23 4:25 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Congratulations. It sounds like you enjoyed the whole experience, which is what it is all about. I have not had the guts to step up to a HIM, so I am completely in awe of your ability! Way to go!
2013-07-23 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

George,

That is a fantastic race! Great swim. What an intense bike! Way to stick it out. I would have not made it on the run after a bike like that! And if you have to do a walk/run, so be it. And an inspiring finish. You finished a *hard* HIM! Way to go!

(I am so glad my bike will be flat to rolling. It's my only chance to finish!)

Seriously, you are looking to do another? I am very impressed. I am looking forward to not training so much, I have to say. Feel like it's taken over my life. I mean, it'd be fine if I didn't have a full time job and didn't have 2 small children. But, I do, so I'm going to scale back after my HIM. Not sure to what, but two-workouts-in-one-day is not on the agenda past Sept.

How did your nutrition plan pan out?

-R

2013-07-23 6:09 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Master
St. Louis
Awesome recap George! I took a week off after my HIM's. A rule of thumb a friend of mine uses is to take a day off for each hour you raced. I kinda like it.

2013-07-23 8:29 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by ransick A rule of thumb a friend of mine uses is to take a day off for each hour you raced. I kinda like it.

I like that rule of thumb!

2013-07-23 11:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I just posted a race report. There is a bit more info there than I wrote yesterday but don't feel it necessary to read.

I had a lot of fun and was amazed before the swim that I was comfortable and not at all nervous. It was just an amazing experience and the people were awesome. The camaraderie really makes it worthwhile.

It was my original intention to do an early Sprint then a June Olympic before this event but my Sprint was sold out and the Oly was cancelled so it was down to the HIM. My friend did it with me and this was his first triathlon ever.

My nutrition worked out well on the bike but fell apart a bit on the run. I had to pee a couple of times so I was certain I had hydrated well and I had my own food with me at all times plus I grazed a bit at each AID station on the run. The cooler temps really helped on the comfort levels of the day. If it had been a lot warmer I would have had to make sure I drank a lot more than I did.

I also enjoyed just sucking on ice to keep me cool.

I have a lot of items I want to answer but I'll have to leave that to tomorrow.

I really like the rule of thumb for post race recuperation. I have to start building up my bike time in preparation for Challenge Penticton come August 25th but I will take this week very easy and start out slowly next week. It is really hot just now so I'll have to ride as early as possible to keep as cool as possible.
2013-07-24 6:53 AM

New user
Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by ransick A rule of thumb a friend of mine uses is to take a day off for each hour you raced. I kinda like it.

I like that rule of thumb!

me too, I might have to use it after this weekend!
2013-07-24 5:49 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Goodjob George!!!! you got 1 HIM under your belt. I read your report atleast 3X... Congrats again
2013-07-25 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Great job George!! You earned it!!

2013-07-25 8:19 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

So here's something funny - Those of you who read my race report from my oly know that my timing was messed up because the announcer told athenas to go in the wrong wave. So I am listed as the winner, BUT I don't know if my sole opponent started at the same time as me, or if she started two waves later. So I was looking at the racers for my HIM in Sept. There are 3 athenas signed up so far, me, the woman I don't know if I beat last time, and someone else. So I guess I'll get another chance to try and beat her!

(I wish more women would sign up for athena.)

-R

2013-07-25 8:40 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Friends

anybody ever try to do heads up freestyle like in this link:

http://www.cosmolearning.com/video-lectures/how-to-swim-head-high-f...
let me know how was it

thanks
2013-07-25 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Friends anybody ever try to do heads up freestyle like in this link: http://www.cosmolearning.com/video-lectures/how-to-swim-head-high-f... let me know how was it thanks
Not sure what you mean.  In a triathlon?  It's not a particularly efficient swim stroke.  I lift my head up regularly for sighting, but I don't have my head up all the time.  Lifting your head up creates a lot of drag and it takes a lot of energy and muscle to maintain that position for an extended period.
2013-07-25 10:52 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Friends

anybody ever try to do heads up freestyle like in this link:

http://www.cosmolearning.com/video-lectures/how-to-swim-head-high-f...
let me know how was it

thanks

Look up. Tarzan drill on YouTube . I haven't done it but it appears to be a common drill, probably for faster swimmers.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41