BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-02-16 10:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Originally posted by ettringite23

Half-marathon in mid-april. After the half-marathon, I hope to maintain some level of base and build my biking for my HIM in July.

Thanks,
Todd

You can do that. The running experts suggest your long run reach 15 miles for a half IM by the peak week. maybe run it twice with a short week long run in between. You're already at 8 so you seem to be on track. You are doing great! Two things to watch out for.10% per week increase foreach of three weeks, then one week down to recover. No two hard runs in a row. If you want to increase volume you can always add onto your mid week runs. The supreme running coach in USAT Bobby McGee suggests four different runs. One LSD. One hill repeats. One speed workout. One easy recovery. A brick run is added nearer the race. With the demands our other sports put on us we can't sometimes do all of those so the recovery run can be skipped as long as you are taking a rest day during the week and getting recovery on the bike.

That pattern works well on the other sports too. Bike once long in zone 2, once with speed intervals, once with hill repeats, once easy. Swim can be drills, endurance if you only swim twice, or drills, drills and endurance. No two hard workouts in a row.

Edited by IceManScott 2014-02-16 10:23 PM

2014-02-17 8:07 AM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Regular
Wow, thanks Scott! I usually always follow the 10% rule, but did not know how to treat volume increase after a recovery week. I will stick to the 10 % rule. Based on your previous posts, I had already instituted one LSD, one speed, one hill, and one recovery per week. I have done similar with the bike, but have only been doing 2 bikes per week. This will increase in the near future.

I have a follow up question. This is more general. While increasing run volume, should a triathlete increase bike volume? If so, by how much? If not, how does one build both run and bike to the required levels? Would this be done by alternating build times between bike and run (i.e. three weeks build run and plateau then three weeks build bike and plateau)? This would seem like a long process, especially with recovery weeks and such.

Thank you very much,

Todd
2014-02-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Wow, thanks Scott! I usually always follow the 10% rule, but did not know how to treat volume increase after a recovery week. I will stick to the 10 % rule. Based on your previous posts, I had already instituted one LSD, one speed, one hill, and one recovery per week. I have done similar with the bike, but have only been doing 2 bikes per week. This will increase in the near future.

I have a follow up question. This is more general. While increasing run volume, should a triathlete increase bike volume? If so, by how much? If not, how does one build both run and bike to the required levels? Would this be done by alternating build times between bike and run (i.e. three weeks build run and plateau then three weeks build bike and plateau)? This would seem like a long process, especially with recovery weeks and such.

Thank you very much,

Todd

Great question. Sometimes your race schedule dictates where you put emphasis. Like yours this year and mine last year. Early marathon. I was running and running through the winter. But I was also riding the trainer 3X and swimming 2X and fitting strength in. The key is this: Fit people can tolerate more overload. So triathletes are often building three sports at once. The cautions are;
-Stay within the 10% suggestion on every sport as you build:
- Use a 4 week mesocycle, meaning build three weeks and then lower volume by about half for the fourth week to recover:
- Within each week, never do two hard exercises in a row, such as a hard bike followed by a hard run. Mix them up. Alternate. An exception might be a hard swim followed by a hard bike. But watch this. If you feel overworked too much or the bike workout suffers in quality, change it up and recover more.
- Make easy workouts easy and hard workouts hard. Zone 2, Zone 4 are endurance athlete's friends. I do some Zone 5 stuff VO2 to help raise the lactate threshold but I've been doing this for several seasons. It's god to include pops of short 30 secs., 60 secs, 90 seconds, 2 minutes on the bike and fartleks on the run and speed work in the pool. But don't overdo it. If you run only one moderate speed that is all you'll have - one gear. Exercising the three energy systems in the body is the key to fitness. But do it wisely.
- Don't try to make up missed workouts by doubling up hard workouts on one day.
- Never skip rest days. One a week at least. If you need an extra, take it. Overtraining leads to depression, burnout and injury. Remember, this is supposed to be fun! None of us get rich from this. It's about fitness and enjoying an active lifestyle.
- And most of all, pay attention to warm-ups, cool downs, stretching, rolling and other injury prevention.

Hope that helps. Good luck. You're doing great, it sounds like.
2014-02-17 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by IceManScott

Thank you very much,

Todd

Great question. Sometimes your race schedule dictates where you put emphasis. Like yours this year and mine last year. Early marathon. I was running and running through the winter. But I was also riding the trainer 3X and swimming 2X and fitting strength in. The key is this: Fit people can tolerate more overload. So triathletes are often building three sports at once. The cautions are;
-Stay within the 10% suggestion on every sport as you build:
- Use a 4 week mesocycle, meaning build three weeks and then lower volume by about half for the fourth week to recover:
- Within each week, never do two hard exercises in a row, such as a hard bike followed by a hard run. Mix them up. Alternate. An exception might be a hard swim followed by a hard bike. But watch this. If you feel overworked too much or the bike workout suffers in quality, change it up and recover more.
- Make easy workouts easy and hard workouts hard. Zone 2, Zone 4 are endurance athlete's friends. I do some Zone 5 stuff VO2 to help raise the lactate threshold but I've been doing this for several seasons. It's god to include pops of short 30 secs., 60 secs, 90 seconds, 2 minutes on the bike and fartleks on the run and speed work in the pool. But don't overdo it. If you run only one moderate speed that is all you'll have - one gear. Exercising the three energy systems in the body is the key to fitness. But do it wisely.
- Don't try to make up missed workouts by doubling up hard workouts on one day.
- Never skip rest days. One a week at least. If you need an extra, take it. Overtraining leads to depression, burnout and injury. Remember, this is supposed to be fun! None of us get rich from this. It's about fitness and enjoying an active lifestyle.
- And most of all, pay attention to warm-ups, cool downs, stretching, rolling and other injury prevention.

Hope that helps. Good luck. You're doing great, it sounds like.

One good suggestion I got early on - build yourself a perfect training week. Put the bikes on certain days, runs on certain days, swims on certain days, strength on certain days. Then you can look at the week and plan your long workouts when you have the time, your shorter more intense workouts when you don't have the time and you can see how the intensity plays out workout to workout. Plan a rest day. I do Friday so I'm fresh for the longer workouts at the weekend. Some coaches do Mondays so you are tired over the weekend and training tired to get your body used to the effort. I think that is fine for elites but not age groupers and masters. We need quality workouts and training tired is a Rx for injury. But suit yourself. A perfect week lets you repeat workouts easily and build week to week just by looking at what you did last week. Repeating workouts is something I do a lot. Tuesday and Thursday bikes are often the same, sometimes Saturday too. Just depends. During these base periods I've been doing LOTS of hill repeats for functional strength training. Really feeling strong. The endurance rides on Sunday at up to 90mins but I can't wait to get outside to run longer. My endurance is lagging on the run, I know. But it should carry over from the bike to the run and the pool somewhat so I should catch up. I have until late July for a half IM. More than 20 weeks. Lots of time.

2014-02-17 9:12 AM

User image

Happy Monday Team!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend of training and just living in general. Final Totals for week 5; Swim:9700yds,Bike:7hr 50min, Run:3hr 20min. I felt strong for most of the workouts, although struggled a bit at the end of the long swim and was SUPER lazy about pacing for my long run, I know I can push myself harder I just get into this mindset of "it's okay to stay comfortable...." I'm still working out bike nutrition as I get into the longer rides (had a 3hr 45 min ride on Saturday), thus far I've been sticking with shot blocks, but the sugar doesn't sit right, any thoughts? Alright everybody have a great week, spring will come eventually (fingers crossed)!

Helen
2014-02-17 3:41 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Regular
Nice work, Helen! That is a great training week!

2014-02-17 4:08 PM

User image

With a paid membership the the workouts available on BT become more detailed? Or is it still minute based with instruction to put some hills and intervals in on shorter days?

I have run thru my beginner sprint and added a few weeks to the end. I was putting together the next several weeks as a balanced x 2 schedule. I was doing 3 runs 3 swims, and 2 bikes and modifying based on time during my beginner schedule. With times getting longer I wanted to split workouts up with an occasional AM/PM workout. I have essentially planned on doing a beginner Olympic program just to continue to build base. If things go well I may do an Olympic in September or October. Is this a good plan? Or should I just continue with my current months works and repeat until I get 20 weeks from my last week and then start the program then? I hope to "compete" in 6 races in the local series. If I want to do some road races here and there would it be better to add an extra run in?

Thanks

Nate
2014-02-17 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Iceman, you are da bomb! Thanks again for your expertise. I will make sure that I stay with the 10 % rule in each sport; though, I may likely break that with swimming. I am going to have to be creative to space out hard bike and run workouts.

thanks again,

Todd
2014-02-17 10:59 PM

User image

Regular
Me having fun at the pool on Valentines Day night...
2014-02-17 11:16 PM

User image

Regular
2014-02-18 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Iceman, you are da bomb! Thanks again for your expertise. I will make sure that I stay with the 10 % rule in each sport; though, I may likely break that with swimming. I am going to have to be creative to space out hard bike and run workouts.

thanks again,

Todd

You can't always since there is so much to do with half IM and IM distances. Here's my perfect winter base week:

Saturday - intensity bike, short run. Strength.

Sunday - longer bike, swim

Monday - runs with hills. strength.

Tuesday - anchored Masters swim in morning, intensity bike in afternoon, strength

Wednesday - run with speed work, strength

Thursday - Masters in morning, intensity bike in afternoon, strength

Friday off.

In spring when outside becomes possible, the Saturday run goes long, the Sunday bike goes long and I add a brick at the end of the bike of 20 to 30 minutes.

The hills and speed runs are on the treadmill or outside depending on weather. I run the treadmill after dark and to avoid harsh weather. I also ride the bike trainer during the week. The trainers save me lots of time from having to ride out of town before starting a workout or wasting time riding home. They also are safer and far more precise as they are unaffected by wind or the elements. People who think you have to ride in bad weather all the time or after dark are the ones I visit in hospitals. I ride long rides and long runs in the rain for training but only if visibility is unaffected.

So the schedule sometimes includes a hard swim with a hard bike on the same day but separated by several hours.

I also have learned by error that I have to devote time to dynamic warmup and cool downs plus rollers and yoga and stretching to avoid injuries like IT band. So far the hip is holding up with Rx Celebrex and Real Time Pain Relief and Rock Tape.

Edited by IceManScott 2014-02-18 6:22 AM

2014-02-18 7:08 AM

User image

Chicago
Hello,

I'm finally getting focused on my core. I've had two workouts so far and I could really feel the soreness today. The challenge will be to keep the workouts up. So far for today I still have left a fast short run then masters swim in the evening.

Have a great day!
2014-02-18 11:20 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

I have to share this with people who will get it. My boyfriend asked if a gift card for a pedicure would be a good birthday present for me, I said "Not really, my foot calluses are pretty well formed to my cycling shoes and I don't want to mess with that." What has become of my life... Oh triathlon.

Have a great day all!

Helen
2014-02-18 12:01 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Back safe and sound from my long weekend get away. Had a great time but did not get any Tri training in until I get home late Monday and did a run. I will check in on everyone's posts and chime in where required

KC
2014-02-18 12:02 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Scott - just wanted to say great posts - I learn so much from you. Thanks.

KC
2014-02-18 12:04 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Great work Helen. I do bonk breakers - you ever try them? Don't worry about the run pacing, you will get there.

KC

Originally posted by mtrunner6

Happy Monday Team!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend of training and just living in general. Final Totals for week 5; Swim:9700yds,Bike:7hr 50min, Run:3hr 20min. I felt strong for most of the workouts, although struggled a bit at the end of the long swim and was SUPER lazy about pacing for my long run, I know I can push myself harder I just get into this mindset of "it's okay to stay comfortable...." I'm still working out bike nutrition as I get into the longer rides (had a 3hr 45 min ride on Saturday), thus far I've been sticking with shot blocks, but the sugar doesn't sit right, any thoughts? Alright everybody have a great week, spring will come eventually (fingers crossed)!

Helen

2014-02-18 12:06 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Nice job Gil.

KC

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hello,

I'm finally getting focused on my core. I've had two workouts so far and I could really feel the soreness today. The challenge will be to keep the workouts up. So far for today I still have left a fast short run then masters swim in the evening.

Have a great day!
2014-02-18 12:07 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
LOVE IT

I have to share this with people who will get it. My boyfriend asked if a gift card for a pedicure would be a good birthday present for me, I said "Not really, my foot calluses are pretty well formed to my cycling shoes and I don't want to mess with that." What has become of my life... Oh triathlon.

Have a great day all!

Helen
2014-02-18 12:08 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Great Vid Todd - thanks for sharing.

Which Go Pro do you have? I am thinking about getting one.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2014-02-18 12:09 PM
2014-02-18 3:36 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Regular
2014-02-18 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Have a great day all!

Helen

Life will never be the same, Helen.

KC, thanks.

2014-02-19 5:44 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

Thanks for the info Todd - how do you like it?

Scott - you are welcome.

OK - back on track after the weekend - nice swim and run today - bike tomorrow.

KC
2014-02-19 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Ran 4.5 m on the trial tonight. Snowy, icy, wet and SLOW. Lots of endurance work to do. I was strong enough. Legs feel fine. Just have to turn on the aerobic machine more and peak the upper end so get more speed. It will come.

Edited by IceManScott 2014-02-20 4:41 PM
2014-02-19 9:34 PM

User image

Chicago
Been sitting on is sinus problem for two days now. All that I have managed to do is some core stuff but no endurance work. Hope to be better tomorrow.

Cheers!

2014-02-20 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4920811

User image

Continue to work on my continuous freestyle, up to 200y.

Nate
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30517 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.