Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-04-21 4:41 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL

Kendra, I also think that bag is a good deal.  Go for it!  It is really nice to just put everything on your back and take the bike to the race! 

and Melissa, sounds like the dreaded shin splints.  The best thing to do is to massage the heck out of them (and make it hurt! gotta dig deep).  Strengthening the calf helps some, but sometimes shin splints have a mind of their own!

I am in Breckenridge now.  This is the last weekend they are open!  And this is the first I have gotten to ski all season.  I am such a klutz that I was worried about getting injured, but all is well after my 1/2 day of skiing.  Enjoy your weekend everyone! 

And good luck to our racers!  Kick some butt out there!

2007-04-22 6:22 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

Melissa, I found this web site above that has good info on shin splints. My brother had those a lot when he ran track and cross country. I always felt bad for him they seemed so painful. Cathy, Are shin splints caused from running on a hard surface?

I had a really bad day yesterday. I'm hoping today goes a lot better. If you want more details read my training log blog for yesterday (keep in mind if you read it I was in a really bad mood when I wrote it.) The cleat on my right shoe came off while I was biking and it was my first day using the clipless pedals. Luckily, I was biking with someone that is very knowledgeable & kind and he helped me out a lot. I had to buy some new cleats & pedals.

Good Luck to everyone that is racing this weekend! I hope all your races go well!

Mel

2007-04-22 8:51 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Oh, my you did have a bad day with the bike. I too took a spill the first time out at a red light. Everyone was stopping, and we were going to be turning left so the whole group was in the left lane and I fell into what would have been the oncoming traffic, but luckily no car was coming. Scary. I learned very fast to clip out even before applying the brake. No more fall for me.

I saw that the group was going out again today. I hope you were able to go and got a good ride out of it.

My sister called yesterday (she is doing the tri on the 5th with me) and she was all excited. She had just realized that the 20 miles on the bike and 5 miles run are actually Kilometers. She was so excited to learn that. It gave me my chuckle for the day as I helped customers here at the library.

Today is my hubby's birthday. Going out to dinner after work. yeah!

Hope everyone's races went well and Cathy, hope the skiing was great.

Kendra
2007-04-23 12:13 PM

Hello everyone. I am VERY NEW to this. 39 yr old Mom with 2 daughters, ages 9 & 12. I have been a cyclist for a long time, doing group rides every so often. As usual, with kids, everything goes by the wayside. In the past, I have not been too consistent with doing anything. My husband is very supportive of me. He is a mtn bike racer. We own and run a Bike Shop here in NC. The biking is definitely my strength. In Jan I joined the Y to swim and lose some weight. I have lost 7 lbs and love the way all my clothes fit again. I have really enjoyed swimming. My daughters have done some junior tri races and I love going to see all of my family events. It is time for me to be in a race. I keep teetering on the idea of it this year. There are 2 races Sprint distances in the pool, here close to my house. May 12 & 19. The first one is 400 yard swim and other is 275 yard, both are 12 m. bike and 5K run. I am much better in the pool, maybe not very fast, but have the strokes okay. The run is my weakness, especially after swimming and biking. I have been going to pool at least twice a week and swimming for 30 mins and hitting the treadmill inside for 30 more mins -- This morning I decided I would go outside and try to bike & run, back to back, to see how my legs would feel. I decided to do a Brick (I think that is what you call it). I rode for 12.98 miles (avg of 14.3) and then ran for 3 m. (about 14 mph pace). I did survive it. Started to cramp once, then popped a GU pack. (Very good to prevent cramping) It was the LONGEST I have worked out and did consistently pushing myself. I did walk for about 2 mins out of the run. I guess I will be okay for the race. My legs were like lead when I got off the bike, but about a mile into it, they felt better. It is in 18 days. I plan on still hitting the pool as I have been and trying to get out on bike and run a few more times. Any suggestions??? I think I can swim 400 meters in about 15 mins. Are all of my times pretty good, to where I won't come way in last place?? My goal will be just to finish and to not come in last, but if I do, that is OK. --- Then after my first one, I have another one, the next weekend, but the swim won't be as long. --- I am so glad to read these messages. We are all women with kids, trying to enjoy life and love working hard at being fit.
2007-04-23 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Welcome luv2bike----where are you in NC? How far from Charlotte? There are a few of us in here!!!

Well----OWS did not happen on Sat. the people I was supposed to go with said it was too cold....The water was 63 degrees.....so I did not go. I do not want to do the first one alone---hopefully it will warm up soon it has been almost 80 here.....there are several in the coming months.

hope everyone else had a lovely weekend!

Heather

Edited by countregirl 2007-04-23 1:00 PM
2007-04-23 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Yippeee! I finished my first oly distance. It was sooooooo fun! I was really nervous on Saturday, but had TONS to do to prepare everything to leave the kids and the dogs overnight with my babysitter.  All day I was doubting myself and thinking that I didn't have enough training in and was feeling pretty nervous. But it went GREAT and I really enjoyed the whole thing. We had great speakers at the pre race dinner on Saturday night, two pro women who talked about how the most important thing is to have fun. It can be VERY intimidating to see all the fancy bikes and super fit folks, but I kept remembering this was a fun event and that the only person I was competing against was myself. I have also decided that triathlons have given me the most confidence as a woman and mother than anything I have ever done in my life. I think it is something that I feel like I can focus on for me, instead of for my kids, my husband, my job, etc. etc. Anyhow, I won't bore anyone with all my stories, but I had a great time. If you want to hear more check out my race report at Playtri Olympic .

Mel - sorry to hear about the bike incident. I too just started with clipless pedals last fall and fell on my first ride with them. I was headed up a hill and didn't switch gears in time. I promise it gets easier! My husband had been trying to convince me to use them for a long time and I always resisted. It has finally really helped my speed and I like them.

Heather - bummer on the missed OWS, but hopefully you can get one in soon. They are so different from pool swims and even if you only go a short distance, you can at least get the feel. The water was COLD for my OWS in the oly, but thankfully I had a wetsuit.

Cathy - your first ski of the season! Do you mean this Texan got in more skiing than you did this season? Well, it sounds like you got out injury free! Thanks so much for all the tips for my oly. They were very helpful.

Welcome Luv2ride! 

2007-04-24 2:00 PM
in reply to: #773774

User image

Broomfield, CO
texmom - 2007-04-23 7:29 PM

Yippeee! I finished my first oly distance. It was sooooooo fun! I was really nervous on Saturday, but had TONS to do to prepare everything to leave the kids and the dogs overnight with my babysitter.  All day I was doubting myself and thinking that I didn't have enough training in and was feeling pretty nervous. But it went GREAT and I really enjoyed the whole thing. We had great speakers at the pre race dinner on Saturday night, two pro women who talked about how the most important thing is to have fun. It can be VERY intimidating to see all the fancy bikes and super fit folks, but I kept remembering this was a fun event and that the only person I was competing against was myself. I have also decided that triathlons have given me the most confidence as a woman and mother than anything I have ever done in my life. I think it is something that I feel like I can focus on for me, instead of for my kids, my husband, my job, etc. etc. Anyhow, I won't bore anyone with all my stories, but I had a great time. If you want to hear more check out my race report at Playtri Olympic .

Congratulations! I feel much more confident as well and I haven't done my first tri yet. The training alone makes me feel so strong and it's all up to me and for me. I'm off to read your race report.

Welcome to the group, luv2ride. I just joined a few weeks ago, too.

Edited by kbsublime 2007-04-24 2:00 PM
2007-04-24 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Welcome luv2bike! Do you live near Charlotte? I live in Charlotte & Heather (countregirl) does too.

Congrats on your race Jill! What you wrote is very motivating & inspiring.

Thanks for the kind words, it's nice to know there are others that have fallen. I haven't fallen since then (knock on wood) I'm sure it will happen again.

I've been trying out my new pedals(Speedplay) and I like them better than the spds. I find it easier to clip in & out of and they are a cool color, bright pink. We swam in the cold water pool then rode part of the race course today and missed a turn (there was no road sign). None of us knew the area and were very lost we eventually found our way back.

Cathy, One of the guys in my group who has done a few tris told me to clip my bike shoes in and get into them when I get on my bike after walking through the transition area. Would you recommend doing this?

2007-04-24 10:19 PM

Hey you guys. Yes, I live close to Charlotte. I live in Winston-Salem, which is about an hour or so away. Good to know we are close.

-- CLIPPING SHOES ON PRIOR ------ I talked to a friend and he said it was really hard to do that and get your feet settled in them. Lots of people do it, so they don't have to run in their biking shoes to get on their bike in T1. I just don't think I can reach down and strap in as I try to get going on my bike.
Although, I can see the benefit of doing it to save time. That sounds like something else to keep in mind to practice it.
So many things to work on.
2007-04-25 4:57 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Jill, congratulations on your first OLY. That is fantastic. I love the positive attitude that you have. With an attitude like that, your kids will grow up just fine, and I'm sure they will turn out to be strong like youself. Strong in spirit and attitude. Way to go.

I can't imagine clipping the shoes on the bike and trying to get into them while on the bike. I don't think I would have the coordination or balance to be able to do that. I think with practice you'll be able to clip into your bike just fine.

10 days to go for my first TRI. Yahoo!

Kendra
2007-04-25 7:43 PM
in reply to: #776709

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Kendra,
Good luck on your first tri! I love to read the reactions of people's first experience. I look forward to reading yours in just a short time.

2007-04-25 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Kendra - I just signed up to do a sprint tri on May 5th so we will be "tri ing" at the same time! Good luck on your first one, I had so much fun last weekend that I decided to sign up for another one.
2007-04-26 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Go Kendra & Jill! Woohoo!  Good luck on your tris!  Kendra, Is this your first tri?

Does everyone bring their family to the race to cheer them on?  I was trying to figure out how to bring my 3 yr old twins.  The race I'm doing in June starts at 6 am so we would need to leave the house by 5 am at the latest.  I know they would not be happy campers if I wake them up that early.

Mel 

2007-04-26 7:18 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Yes, this will be my first TRI. Jill awesome to have you racing the same day. Even though I'm an hour ahead of you, you may still beat me in. Sounds like you did have a lot of fun Saturday.

Family at races. I don't know about a TRI, but at other races I usually haven't brought anyone. This first TRI, my husband and sister are going to be doing it with me. So, family will be there, but not to stand around, wait and watch. My brother-in-law was going to come to be our roadie, but now he won't be able to make it. bummer. I guess we will have to lift those bikes ourselves after the race. Thats okay. We can do it. Everyone else does.

It does get exciting as you get closer to your own races, doesn't it?

Kendra
2007-04-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #777169

User image

Broomfield, CO
lialog - 2007-04-26 5:09 AM

Go Kendra & Jill! Woohoo!  Good luck on your tris!  Kendra, Is this your first tri?

Does everyone bring their family to the race to cheer them on?  I was trying to figure out how to bring my 3 yr old twins.  The race I'm doing in June starts at 6 am so we would need to leave the house by 5 am at the latest.  I know they would not be happy campers if I wake them up that early.

Mel 

My parents are going to come. My husband and I are doing our first tri together, so my parents will be with our 3 year old daughter - they will probably just have her in the stroller so they can easily get around to see us at different parts of the race. After the tri, we get free admission to the water park so we will eat lunch and play in the water for a bit before heading home for a nap (all of us LOL).
2007-04-26 9:37 AM

Well, I am running a 5K on Sat morning this coming weekend. I have not done one in a few years. I am not treating it as a race, but a training run. My FIRST TRI will be on May 12, then another on May 19. They are Sprint distances.
I am getting Excited and nervous. This morning I went running and made it about 5 miles without stopping, I was not very fast, averaged about 11.30 per mile. I have never been able to run that far without stopping. I was really pumped up. Man I am excited now.

--- I am taking my kids and husband with me to my first race. My 12 yr old may do it too. Dad wants her too, but I dont' know if she is ready. She is awesome on the bike, but swimming 400 m. is 1/2 the distance she normally does. I told her how cool it would be just to do it and finish in an adult one. -- Maybe me talking to her about it, will take my anxiety away from myself.

These two in May are the only ones I am doing so far. They are local around here. I will see how I do and then maybe check for some others in June or July that aren't too far away.

Boy, I am worried about T1 going from the swim to the bike... I can swim the distance in my training, but will not be able to train and practice transition to get out of pool and run to the bike. I am really nervous about that.

2007-04-26 9:41 AM

I have really picked up my training this week. It is almost like I am obsessed with it. I feel good. I feel skinny in my clothes and that is what I want.

When I tell some people what I am doing.... they ask me if I am crazy. That always motivates me more, because I want to do more than others are doing.

Yesterday, my daughter and I were at the Y swimming at 6:15. She showered and then I took her to school. She was excited to tell all her friends.

I will be 40 next year, and I told myself this was My Year to take care of me. So far I am Loving it. Just hope I survive the Race.
2007-04-26 9:46 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Good for you! I tell everyone that I have found the secret to losing weight - Train for a triathlon! You will do great in your tris. Good luck in your race on Saturday!
2007-04-26 9:48 AM

I need to get more time on the bike. I hope to do that later today and a long ride on Sunday this weekend. Weather will be awesome. Hard to get it all in sometimes. I like the variety.

Hey.... you know we own a Bike Shop ------- let me know if any of you guys have any questions about Bikes, Energy Gels, Pedals, Shoes, etc........

Endurox R4 is great "recovery drink" All the guys use it after their MTB Races and I use it now too. There are also some pills called "Sport Legs" they are coming in today. I think they help your legs to keep from feeling fatigued after your race. GU packs really help me from cramping and give me more energy.

????? Does anyone run with an Ipod on? I love to have one when I run now, but was wondering about the races. Do people do that? A couple of people have told me they saw someone. I need to maybe get an armband. Not sure if I will like it or not. I always put it in my shirt pocket in the back. I will definitely use it tomorrow in the 5K if it is allowed. Would not want to use it on the bike, but the run would be nice to help keep me motivated.

??????? Also, does anyone have any tips for transitions? I want to be as efficient as possible.
2007-04-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: #777417

User image

Broomfield, CO
luv2bike - 2007-04-26 8:48 AM

Hey.... you know we own a Bike Shop ------- let me know if any of you guys have any questions about Bikes, Energy Gels, Pedals, Shoes, etc........

????? Does anyone run with an Ipod on? I love to have one when I run now, but was wondering about the races. Do people do that? A couple of people have told me they saw someone. I need to maybe get an armband. Not sure if I will like it or not. I always put it in my shirt pocket in the back. I will definitely use it tomorrow in the 5K if it is allowed. Would not want to use it on the bike, but the run would be nice to help keep me motivated.

Good to know that you could give tips on bike gear! I will probably have questions soon. I also need to get more time in on the bike.

I run with my ipod all the time. It's the shuffle, so it just clips to my shirt. I started a thread yesterday about ipods (in the main triathlon forum). Most people said that they are illegal in races. So, I'll just use it during training.

Edited my post - I have the suffle, not the nano.

Edited by kbsublime 2007-04-26 10:35 AM
2007-04-26 10:22 AM
in reply to: #777417

User image

New user
luv2bike - 2007-04-26 8:48 AM

I highly recommend the shuffle - the thing is TINY, it clips onto your shirt and it can store a lot of songs. I wouldn't be able to get through my solo long training runs without it! I was very hesitant to buy it at first (kinda pricey) but I find it's worth every penny. I saw a few people running with iPODs this weekend at the race, but I think they are generally not allowed - you'll have to check the rules for your race. Also, if you do run with it in a race, just keep it low enough so you can hear people behind you. I also use the earphones that fit into your earcanal because they don't jossel so much when I'm running and they don't fall out and there is no headband to fall down or get in the way. I find I run much faster with the iPOD - the music helps keep the pace especially Mary J Blige! LOL. Good luck with the 5K!! I'm sure you'll do great!

Edited by kaciphiz 2007-04-26 10:23 AM

2007-04-26 8:25 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Goodness gracious!  I'll see if I can get caught up here with all the posts!  I've had a heck of a week....seems to be the story of my life lately. 
2007-04-26 9:07 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Was getting worried about you. Glad to see you back. Hope your week gets better.
2007-04-27 4:15 PM

OH MY GOSH... My legs are killing me today, from the 4.5 miles I ran yesterday. I kept saying that I had never ran that far before, well, my legs have not hurt this much in a long time either.
Hopefully, I will feel better in the morning for my 5K. -
I will keep you posted.
5K tomorrow and long bike ride on Sunday, is hopefully what I will do.
2007-04-27 5:48 PM
in reply to: #779507

User image

New user
Stretch those poor sore legs out really good tonight. And Good Luck on your run tomorrow!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34