BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-10-24 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

Colby, how was it?

Nick had an amazing race at the GFT. We were so close in times for most of the race, we actually started the bike right next too each other.

here is my race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=272472

2011-10-24 1:50 PM

User image

Ocala

Well guys after months of toying with my stupid knee, and thinking about this stuff all the time, I have officially completed a triathlon.  The swim was way rough, I thought I was going to die for sure.  Against the recomendations of nearly everyone I have ever talked to about the sport, and my better judgment, the swim portion was the first (an only) time I have/will swim open water.  It terrified me.  I tore it up on the bike and run though, and finished with 1:40:01.

I didn't realize how light headed I was going to be when I go out of the water, and it took me awhile to recover from that, so my first transition was super slow.  All in all, I loved the experience, and I am just glad I finished.  Thinking maybe I will stick with Duathlons until a more realistic way to practice swimming comes along.

2011-10-25 8:02 AM

User image

Master

Way to go Colby! Congrats on your first race.

OWS can be a shock to the system. It takes some time to get used to the feeling of being surrounded in the water by a bunch of other swimmers. Plus, the dizziness can also take some time. I know some people that swear by earplugs to help with the dizziness.

Congrats again on your race. 

2011-10-27 8:03 AM

User image

Master

So,

How is the end of the season treating everyone?

My suburn and chafing wounds are almost healed, so I am starting to think about my workouts again.

I am planning to add some of my basic core workouts, either at gym or home, back in to the mix. Here are the basics:

30-50 pushups

10 pull-ups

air squats/one legged squats/lunges/jumping squats

Plank and side plank

Repeat x2

I hope to do this little workout at least 3 times a week. Also planning on getting back to running 3-4 times a week and biking 1 or 2 times.

Running will be my focus until after January, and then I get to ramp back up with HIM training.

2011-10-28 9:28 AM

User image

Master

Yikes,

Did some bodybuilders yesterday. two sets of 15. You would have thought I had sprinted a mile. Talk about needing to work on my core....

2011-10-28 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3740111

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-10-27 9:03 AM

So,

How is the end of the season treating everyone?

My suburn and chafing wounds are almost healed, so I am starting to think about my workouts again.

I am planning to add some of my basic core workouts, either at gym or home, back in to the mix. Here are the basics:

30-50 pushups

10 pull-ups

air squats/one legged squats/lunges/jumping squats

Plank and side plank

Repeat x2

I hope to do this little workout at least 3 times a week. Also planning on getting back to running 3-4 times a week and biking 1 or 2 times.

Running will be my focus until after January, and then I get to ramp back up with HIM training.

Wow, that's a nice workout.  I have zero sympathy for sun burn problems - we got about 2 inches of snow last night and another 5-7 are predicted for tomorrow!  I'm not ready for this yet.

I'm about ready to start training again, I really need it.  The sickness isn't totally gone, but the end of the tunnel is in sight.  I can't wait, I'm really frustrated and need to get active again.

2011-10-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3736064

User image

NH
TriColby - 2011-10-24 2:50 PM

Well guys after months of toying with my stupid knee, and thinking about this stuff all the time, I have officially completed a triathlon.  The swim was way rough, I thought I was going to die for sure.  Against the recomendations of nearly everyone I have ever talked to about the sport, and my better judgment, the swim portion was the first (an only) time I have/will swim open water.  It terrified me.  I tore it up on the bike and run though, and finished with 1:40:01.

I didn't realize how light headed I was going to be when I go out of the water, and it took me awhile to recover from that, so my first transition was super slow.  All in all, I loved the experience, and I am just glad I finished.  Thinking maybe I will stick with Duathlons until a more realistic way to practice swimming comes along.

Awesome job, triathlete.  Swimming is a tough discipline, I think it keeps many people away from tris.  Hopefully you'll find a way to get more comfortable in the swim, I agree that the key is to get in the water and just get used to it.  The good news there is that the swim is the warm up to the real event, so getting to just a reasonable swim leg will still allow you to do very well in triathlons.

2011-10-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3740111

User image

Carmel

End of seaon - mine ends next Saturday, Nov 5, the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (a tour of Indy's war monuments). Training has gone well for the marathon - but has included a lot of bike and swimming along the way....

After the marathon - I'll swim the following week only - rest these old legs - and then get into an "easy" period until January. I will swim 2x, run 2-3x and bike at least once a week through the holidays -----while I review this year and plan goals/races for next year (Olympic distance????) I suspect I'll end up more or less what I have been doing getting ready for this marathon: Mon: abs/easy run Tues: swim/bike Wed am-abs, pm-run speed Thurs: am-swim pm - bike Fri=abs/rest. Sat LSD Sun rest or bike or swim (I really think riding my mountain bike on Sundays after my long Saturday runs helped my legs recover) Work/family always change the plan - but I always make sure I get in the LSD (long slow distance run and 2 or 3 other workouts per week.

The early morning swims have been tough - but---so early - I'm back to wake the kids up for school - the swims do not disturb anyone else's routine. I feel swimming has helped my core. Bike - at least outside, either road or mtb =just fun! I think its really helped my legs recover after long or faster runs. I'll ride indoor now. Running has been limited to 3 and no more than 4x a week. I was running 5-6 days, and that was a receipe for injury (at least for me) = I learned that for me, cross training has helped me engage more muscles = helped lessen injuries. I do the ab workouts watching TV - sportscenter or big bang.

No sunburn here in Indiana.

Thanks for everyone's discussions this summer- even when Iwas not writing - Iwas reading - and everyone in Eli's forum, and Eli especially you - have helped me through this tri summer - THANKS!

Paul

2011-11-03 9:50 AM

User image

NH

Agree that this group was great Paul.  Thanks to all.

I actually had lunch with Eli up in the great white north yesterday - it was great to actually meet him and talk a bit.  Addicts love discussing their addiction with each other!

On the training front, I'm trying to get my mojo back after this sickness and have started Jorge's bike plan.  Legs actually felt ok but the lungs were not happy.  My plan is to really run focus and see how much of the bike plan I can tolerate.  I have a HM way out there (end of April) that is my next target race.

2011-11-03 7:37 PM

User image

Master

Warren,

It was great to meet you! I am hoping to mentor again next time they start it up.

Since Halloween just passed, here is my pumpkin

Pumpkin:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=14215&photoid=139631

Edited by eliwashere 2011-11-03 7:51 PM
2011-11-06 12:49 PM

User image

Master

Last event of the year!

Did the Boca Raton PAL half marathon. Interesting day.

Race scheduled to start at 6:30 AM. The race is about 4 miles from my apartment, so easy morning. Had to get the bikes on the car though, as we were doing a charity ride after.

I was hoping to be able to run sub 2:00 for the race, but didn't think I had a PR in my legs. I was a little nervous at the start. 

This is a small local race, so the crowd wasn't big. It was also nice to hear the national anthem sung without speakers and watch and hear everyone quiet down out of respect.

Race got going, and boom-I went out a bit fast. Ran an 7:58 the first mile in an attempt to get clear space to run. Second mile was 8:05, 3rd mile was 8:15. I was feeling good, but knew I couldn't keep it up. I was also trying something new this time. Instead of my usual run 9 minute walk one, I ran 9 and then tried to ease the pace down for the one minute.

Was feeling good, keeping steady, and my HR was under control. After about mile 5 though, things started to get weird. The volunteers had us make a turn that wasn't part of the course, so the mile markers didn't match up to our location. This wasn't a huge problem, but it does mess with your head a bit. The turn had us do the correct course, but out of order with the planned course.

By mile 6, I was starting to feel the pace in my legs. I had started eating my cliff bloks to try to avoid the rubbery feeling of having no energy, but had about 5 minutes where I was wondering if I would fall over.

Without the mile markers, I was wondering how my pace was. At about mile 9.5, we passed a Mile 7 marker. This totally threw me off. I was about 1:10 or so, and was wondering if I had totally messed up my race. I knew I had gone more than 7 miles, but was tired enough that I was questioning my judgement. I actually stopped to walk for a moment at the next water stop to get my head straight.

At that point, we turned back onto the main road for the last 3 miles. I knew I wanted to pick it up a bit, but didn't really have that much left. My pace was uneven, and my HR started to go above 170, which is usually where I blow up. 

By mile 11, I just wanted to be done. I knew I had the 2:00 locked up, but didn't want to slow down too much, even though I was sure I wouldn't PR this race. I spent the last 2 miles arguing in my head about why I should keep suffering and not walk. This is a common discussion I have in my head, and often results in much more walking that I want. I am proud to say I did a good job of toughing it out and finished the run well, if not strong.

By the last 500 yards, I was cooked. I don't remember the last time I really pushed myself to a decent finish. Much diiferent than the IM race where I was just trying to survive.

Finished the race at 1:54 and a bit on the clock. No chip time, so I think I may actually have been closer to 1:53:48 or so.

The best part about the race, aside from seeing my friends while racing- They had chocolat chip cookies with the post race snacks. YUM.

Cooled down by doing a 15.9 mile charity ride on a computrainer with my wife. Averaged 21.4 miles an hour on a course with some small rolling hills. Legs felt great after that.

Looking forward to ramping up my running and planning for next season!

2011-11-06 7:01 PM

User image

Carmel

Ely:

GREAT half marathon!

I have run in the "heat" - but it is tough - I checked your weather, and it was 70 at the start - (yesterday's race in Indy started at 35 - and was -perfect-) I realize you get "used" to the heat - but it has its challenges.

Don't worry about the first mile or two - adrenaline really works well - just remember to settle into your pace by mile 2 or 3. walking thru water stops - to make sure you actually drink some - is ok. Gu/hammer/cliff all work well - BUT - they do not have enough SALT for me (6ft, 177lbs). I've tried salt tabs - work fine, but cost a lot-- McD salt packs=free, work great! wrap in saran wrap and put in pocket to keep dry - just chew off the saran while running - try it on a practice run or two - it helps me keep my legs at the end of a race.

I rode my mt bike today after yesterday's marathon - legs feel much better - your plan yesterday - run/ride sounded great.

I'll take tomorrow off and swim on tues - may try running thurs or fri - real easy. After your hard effort mini run - don't forget - TAKE IT EASY - the following week. no matter how ok you feel.

Paul

2011-11-07 9:35 AM

User image

NH

Great races for both you guys. 

Eli, that’s a super effort on the half.  It’s always great when everything falls into place.  The mental side of these races is so important.  Sounds like you don’t race with gps –  the data helps relieve the race marker anxiety though I don’t like checking too much during the race.  I generally agree with Paul that adrenaline plays a big role in the first few miles, but the gps can help temper that a little bit so you don’t get too carried away.  I’ve learned for me at least a little too much at the start really kills the last few miles.

Paul, good effort on the marathon.  I'd love that type of weather also.  70 sounds way too hot for an ideal race.  Is that it for the year for you?  You had a busy year with some super times.

I’ve totally moved inside for biking.  My plan is to get my running back on track, build up frequency and miles at 6 days a week, and do Jorge’s bike program.  I think as long as I keep the runs at an easy effort I can still hammer the bike.  My next planned race is a half marathon next spring, and I really want to better last year’s PR.  One of the advantages of starting so late in life is that even at age 49 (50 by the time of the race) I can still be posting PRs.

2011-11-08 9:16 AM

User image

Master

Paul,

Thanks, good advice for the run. Actually, I have acclimated to the weather here. Anything below about 76 is just fine for me. Over 80, then the heat, water, salt issue comes into play.

I had a good race mentally, and physically as well. The biking helped a ton. Went for an "easy" run today of about 4 miles and ran at about the 1/2 marathon pace without too much trouble. Makes me think that those first few miles really bit me in the rear!

I am hoping to spend the next few weeks getting my post race diet back under control. I don't have a 5lb gummy bear to worry about like Nick V does, but I need to cut back on the baked goods!

So, I weighed and measured myself today. Strangely, the left side of my body is bigger than the right side. I thought I was taking bad measurements and double checked, but it came out that way both times. I am interested to see how this works out as I try to lose weight and workout again.

2011-11-12 3:49 PM

User image

NH

I thought you looked a little off kilter when I saw you Eli!  Good luck with the weight loss and getting back at it.

I'm happy to report that I've started biking and running now, and I'm really tightening up my eating again.  My lunch with Eli actually marked the end of my "pig out" period and I'm planning to do stay pretty clean through winter outside Thanksgiving and the week around Christmas.  Being Italian, the food at Christmas is too much to lay off!

2011-11-16 6:29 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Travel is killing my workouts! I have been on the road for most of the last two weeks. It makes it hard to get in my regular workouts. Amazing how hotel rooms make you want to not work out.

Luckily, I go home for a day today and will be home this weekend.

Hope all are well. 

Good to hear you are back in the swing of things Warren!

2011-11-17 10:18 AM

User image

Master

Ahh, Home again. Although, only for one day.

Managed to get in a 6 mile run this morning. I was so happy to be out there, I went out WAY to fast and suffered the last 3 miles. 

I guess I can look at it two ways.

On the one hand, it is great that I can go out at a 8:20 pace and think it is normal for 3 miles. I really didn't realize I was pushing that hard.

On the other hand, I should be a little more self aware.

I am going to chalk this one up to experience. I guess suffering through the last 3 miles in heat is good training as well. 

2011-11-19 9:46 AM

User image

Master

Wheee, weekend at home!!!!

Went for a 15 mile run with my lovely wife and then rode 20 with a friend. The 15 mile run was nice.

the ride was HARD!! My legs were like jellly. Still fun to be on the bike. 

2011-11-25 8:34 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Sorry that I have not kept up very well lately.  Looks like everyone has been doing well.  My latest news, I ran the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving Day.  All I can say is I finished.  I was able to run (jog) the first 9.5 miles and then went into run/walk mode.  I would guess that I ran about 60% of the remaining miles.  I felt really good through the first 6 miles, completed the 10K portion in 1:22:22 (13:15/mile).  I kept that same pace through the 9.5 mile mark.  Finished the race in 3:06:14 (14:13/mile).  Not fast but the run is my worst part.  I can't say that I hate it but it is definitely not my favorite.  The coolest thing about this race was that I felt really good through mile 6 and continued to feel good until the 9.5 mile mark.  I was really surprised and happy with that.  I know I did not train enough leading up to the race.  My longest run was 7.25 miles.  I just run so slow that it was taking up too much time to run the long runs. 

Anyway, a year ago I could not even walk a mile so things have definitely changed.  The after race soreness and stiffness is incredible.  Continuing to hydrate and stretch as much as I can tolerate.  I know it will go away but I sure wish it would hurry up.

Moving forward I plan on doing  lot of running through the winter months.  4-5 times per week with distances of 2.3 miles to 4 miles.  I can make the time for these very easily.  I plan on trying to build up some speed on the run through the winter at these distances before I start adding any longer runs.

Race report is here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Thanksgiving to everyone!

2011-11-28 10:24 AM

User image

Master

Bill,

Way to go! That is a fantastic achievement. As you wrote, the difference between the performance from one year to another is spectacular!

Plus, that is a much nicer thing for your body on Thanksgiving than overeating, which is what I did.

2011-11-28 8:08 PM

User image

NH

Bill, great day!  Hey, 13.1 is no joke.  How are you feeling after a few days? 

That sounds likes a great winter running plan.  I'm trying the 3:2:1 plan, so it's 6 days a week for me and a slow build towards a spring half marathon.  Keep checking in and we'll all keep each other motivated.

2011-12-02 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3918217

User image

Griffin, Georgia

OMG.  It was painful.  If I sat for too long it was a struggle to get up.  If I was up for a while, it was a struggle to sit down.  Some of my friends were making fun while at the same time remembering that I had just run a half marathon, which none of them could do.  Heck it was a struggle to just move around.  I got a foam roller on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  It helped a lot.  Saturday was still painful but at least I could move a little better.  Sunday morning I woke up and the pain was 95% gone.  I finally ran again Tuesday. and have run 4 days in a row for 2.3 miles.  Now that the time of pain is a little in the distance, I have lost my mind again.  I am doing the tough mudder in Georgia in February.  I think it will be a blast and a great time to take some of this training and just get crazy.

Eli - Oh, I ate more than my fair share.  The funny thing was that I was not as hungry as I thought I would be.  I ate and drank so much after the race that I guess I was just keeping myself satisfied.  But like I said, I ate plenty of turkey, dressing and pie.

Hope everyone is well and back on training for the winter.  Lets make time for the festivities and also keep making time for the training.

wbayek - 2011-11-28 9:08 PM

Bill, great day!  Hey, 13.1 is no joke.  How are you feeling after a few days? 

That sounds likes a great winter running plan.  I'm trying the 3:2:1 plan, so it's 6 days a week for me and a slow build towards a spring half marathon.  Keep checking in and we'll all keep each other motivated.

Edited by billeckert 2011-12-02 4:41 PM
2011-12-05 10:03 AM

User image

Master

Wheeeee,

Holidays are getting in full swing here.

My wife is starting her annual 1/2 marathon extravaganza. I think she has three weekends in a row, with next Sunday being the last of the set for at least 2 weeks.

Gearing up for our Ragnar race down to Key West.

And generally getting cookies made, decorations out, and cleaning house.

Oh, and running.

Also, got back on the bike and suffered through a 60 mile ride to pick up my wife's packet on Saturday. The wind was gusting up to 30 MPH on the way up. Much nicer on the way back.

2011-12-06 12:48 PM

User image

Master

Did I mention the joys of running with others?

On Sunday, Nick and I met up with some friends for an "easy" run of 9-11 miles. 

We were supposed to run 9-10 min pace.

We got started a little late, and I guess the enthusiasm of playing with others took over. Our first 3 miles were 8:15-8:30 or so.

I felt great, and I think Nick did too. However, another friend was a little upset at out pace being almost a minute per mile faster than we had planned.

And then, to cap it off, at the end, Nick tricked me.

He pointed towards the beach and said "look at that" In the two seconds I looked, Nick had sprinted ahead. I think he almost stopped since it took me so long to realize he was pulling a fast one on me.

Now I know our next race will be a tough one!

2011-12-10 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3928385

User image

Carmel

The race to Key West sounds fun.

Woke up to 15 degrees today - nice 10 mile run - you find ice in the weirdest places - difficult to keep the water bottle from freezing... 

The best part of the run is having coffee with the group afterwards.

My bike is locked in my trainer. I try to ride 1-2x a week. I have been swimming at least 2x a week. All is very informal this month - will pick a training plan and begin training "with a plan" in January.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Paul

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20