BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-03-02 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3377451

User image

Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL!
jfought - 2011-03-01 12:37 PM So, here's my latest.  I went back to the wound center yesterday for a recheck.  All of the test results came back normal, so there's no underlying reason that the incisions didn't heal completely.  That's good news. 

Since there's no good explanation why I still have areas that didn't heal, the doctor thinks that some swelling in the leg may be impairing the healing process.  That's were the bad news comes in. . .   He wrapped both lower legs from the knee to the toes in 4 layers of b.s. for compression.  Then he said that they need to stay on until my next appointment (9 days) AND I can't get them wet.   "What about my biking and running?" I asked.  His reply, "Do you want them to heal?"  Arrrrrrrg!  I look like I have elephantitis, I can't hardly get a shoe on, it's uncomfortable (think anacondas), I can't work out, and I can't sleep well.  This is NOT working for me and I'm tempted to just eat, drink (heavily), and sleep my way through the week.  I need an intervention.

P.S. Dirk, glad the shoulder is feeling better.  I will be at Warsaw in June!  Maybe I'll see you there.

oh my my my... sorry to hear the news. although, if you think about it, trade 9 days to be completely healed vs fighting with it all year might be a good thing! best of luck!

How did everyone's February's end up?

Mine was a little disappointing, but I took the 2-9 off and had about 2 days off a week the rest of the month. Hopefully march will be a big volume month. 
Bike:4h 50m 42s  - 46 Mi, I don't log trainer miles.
Run:8h 51m 32s  - 69.06 Mi

Goals for March?
For me... Bike ~ 16-18 hours, Run ~ 110-120 miles (14-16 hours), and get in the pool.

2011-03-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3378651

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-03-02 1:11 PM
jfought - 2011-03-01 12:37 PM So, here's my latest.  I went back to the wound center yesterday for a recheck.  All of the test results came back normal, so there's no underlying reason that the incisions didn't heal completely.  That's good news. 

Since there's no good explanation why I still have areas that didn't heal, the doctor thinks that some swelling in the leg may be impairing the healing process.  That's were the bad news comes in. . .   He wrapped both lower legs from the knee to the toes in 4 layers of b.s. for compression.  Then he said that they need to stay on until my next appointment (9 days) AND I can't get them wet.   "What about my biking and running?" I asked.  His reply, "Do you want them to heal?"  Arrrrrrrg!  I look like I have elephantitis, I can't hardly get a shoe on, it's uncomfortable (think anacondas), I can't work out, and I can't sleep well.  This is NOT working for me and I'm tempted to just eat, drink (heavily), and sleep my way through the week.  I need an intervention.

P.S. Dirk, glad the shoulder is feeling better.  I will be at Warsaw in June!  Maybe I'll see you there.

oh my my my... sorry to hear the news. although, if you think about it, trade 9 days to be completely healed vs fighting with it all year might be a good thing! best of luck!

Agreed. I noticed a pain in my knee during a run a couple of weeks ago and tried to carry on running (at a more gentle pace) but ended up making it worse to the point where I couldn't even manage a mile due to the pain. After letting it rest for about 10 days it's now fine. I'm sure if I let it rest as soon as it started hurting it would have healed quicker, but I'm stubborn!

Mine was a little disappointing, but I took the 2-9 off and had about 2 days off a week the rest of the month. Hopefully march will be a big volume month. 
Bike:4h 50m 42s  - 46 Mi, I don't log trainer miles.
Run:8h 51m 32s  - 69.06 Mi

Goals for March?
For me... Bike ~ 16-18 hours, Run ~ 110-120 miles (14-16 hours), and get in the pool.
For February I had worked out that I was on target to finally break the run 100 miles in a month milestone, but the above mentioned week off saw that come to an end

Run:8h 25m  - 56.96 Mi
Swim:4h 05m  - 8350 M
Goals for March: Cycle!!! Get my bike back tonight after 5months so I fully intend to get as many miles in as I can in the next 6 weeks. Run: Think I'll have to dial it down a little to allow for more cycling time and only run 4x a week - maybe aim for 80 miles. Swim: Work on getting my 400m times to under 9mins, preferably 8:30 (currently 9:06 is my pb)
2011-03-02 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3256240

User image

Regular
Man, I have had a rough couple weeks I don't like winter....we'll have a couple days hitting 80 degrees and then drop into the low 20's(or colder) FROWNY FACE. so my sinuses have been wacky and the baby's too. I really can't wait to get back to san diego, the land of pretty constant temps and no allergies!! whew....ok enough venting.

S:  11800.00 Yd - 5h 30m
B:  25.83 Mi - 1h 50m
R:  40.00 Mi - 6h 46m
Str:  4h 50m
Sp:  30m 

looking at my feb totals, I sure could use some more biking lol. After those two 5 ks coming up this month, then I'll be able to slack off the running a little more and throw some bike in there.
2011-03-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3378651

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-03-02 8:11 AM 

Bike:6h 10m
Run:8h 25m  - 39.5 Mi
Swim:6h 32m  - 11550 Yd
Strength:3h 55m

February was good, but I'm not setting any goals for March at this point.  

2011-03-02 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3379789

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
My swim was definitely down since I took 3 weeks off because of my shoulder.  I hope to rebuild that over the course of this month.  I am looking to get my swim in the neighborhood of 20k yards to get back on track.  I would also like to do another 500 TT after I have checked the shoulder out for a few weeks to make sure I don't blow it up. 

I do log miles on the trainer for my bike workouts but I recognize that time on the trainer does not translate into "certain" miles.  I have focused workouts to hit specific HR zones for various benefits.  I am looking forward to outside riding but I have actually enjoyed the trainer this winter.  I have learned so much more about how to use it to train properly than just spin on it, which is what I did the winter of '09-'10.  I will make sure the weather has broken before I replace my trainer tire with the road tire so I don't have to go back and forth.

My run should bump up a bit as well to something around 80-85 miles.  I would like my long runs to end up around 12-13 miles by mid April to get ready for the HM mid May.

Here was my Feb. totals

Bike:14h 48m  - 296.07 Mi
Run:10h 00m 34s  - 76.18 Mi
Swim:1h 40m  - 5100 Yd
Snow Shoveling:3h 00m
2011-03-04 5:24 AM

User image

Indianapolis

Happy Friday everyone! 

What's on the plan's for this weekend for everyone?

I am "studying" for an exam currently, but am hoping to get out for a short run after I take it.

Saturday will hopefully be a long run (of ~8) and Sunday a bike ride outside, weather permitting of course. 

2011-03-04 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3382156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

Saturday:Rest

Sunday:A.M. - Run (approx. 4miles), Noon - swim.

I was reading yesterday that improving your short distance sprint swims (50-100m) can have a direct impact on longer distance performance. What's your opinion on this?

Since I was at the pool last night I decided to start putting this into practice. Normally I can swim 33m (stupid pool) in 40secs when pushing hard (44sec when relaxed), but after 12x33m deliberately focusing on lower my time I found I had lowered it to 33secs and my relaxed recovery length afterwards was at 37secs!

2011-03-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3382156

User image

Regular

Good luck on your exam!!!

I am planning on driving to the dropzone this weekend!!! Not only will I get some jumps in but I am planning on buying my very first parachute system, aka "rig"! It is used but within my specs and budget!

As far as training, a 5 mile hill crazy run tomorrow am....not sure if I'll get anything else in though.

2011-03-04 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3382329

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Man I love running!!!  I just finished a 10 mile run and wish I could have done more.  Right now I am about 30 minnutes post run and I am feeling great.  It got dark on me while I was out and I didn't have my night running gear and I shouldn't increase my mileage right now anyway.  I have had a couple of increases recently and I haven't had a recovery week for a little while.  Next week will be my recovery week, although I don't want it to be.  I want to keep moving forward, but in the interest of my well-being I'll back it down for a week.

Did I mention I love running?

My other plans for this weekend are a 2hour bike and 2 mile easy run tomorrow then beging a recovery week on Sunday with a 3-4 mile run and a 45 minute easy ride.

Oh yeah, and I am bach-ing it this weekend...........PARTAAYY AT MY PLACE!!!

2011-03-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3383393

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I just entered 2 of the planned races for this season.  The first one is in June and  Sprint and the second in August is an Oly.  I did the Oly last year and I have been told that I "must" enter the same race this year.  My wife wants me to enter this one because she gets to see me so much during the race.  Both races are on my dashboard and I think I am already prepared for them.  I think the trainer has really helped my bike over the winter and I am anxious to check it out over the course of a race.

Now for the 2 hr. trainer ride and 2 mile run.

2011-03-06 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Three more days till I go back to the doc.  The compression wraps are supposed to keep any swelling down and as a result help the wounds heal.  Only problem, the lack of any GOOD exercise is making my feet and legs swell. Did I mention that I'm not dealing with this very well? Walked on the treadmill yesterday and will try that again today.  The doctor said if I start having any problems that I can take the wraps off and I've thought about it probably 2,347 times, but I really do want my legs to heal so I can get back to my regular routine.  Trying very hard to keep the big picture in mind.  

My first (first of the season and first ever) race is also the Sprint in Warsaw at the end of June.  Dirk, I'm see you there (the back side of you anyway! LOL)  I hope to do one or two more this season, but I haven't decided on which ones.  Hopefully I can be ready for an oly next year (maybe at the end of this season, but I'm trying to be realistic here).

Well, have a good week everyone.  Keep on keeping on.

2011-03-06 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3384757

User image

Veteran
jfought - 2011-03-06 9:29 AM

The doctor said if I start having any problems that I can take the wraps off and I've thought about it probably 2,347 times, but I really do want my legs to heal so I can get back to my regular routine.  Trying very hard to keep the big picture in mind.  

So think of this as the mental training part of your training. It is awesome that you persevered after 2347 times, three days will be over before you know it, hang in there.

2011-03-07 4:48 AM
in reply to: #3385594

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
bfwhitt - 2011-03-06 10:03 PM
jfought - 2011-03-06 9:29 AM

The doctor said if I start having any problems that I can take the wraps off and I've thought about it probably 2,347 times, but I really do want my legs to heal so I can get back to my regular routine.  Trying very hard to keep the big picture in mind.  

So think of this as the mental training part of your training. It is awesome that you persevered after 2347 times, three days will be over before you know it, hang in there.

As hard as it is to take some proper recovery time, it is best.  I am sure you know thats true but somehow we all seem to forget it when it relates to us, personally.  Like Bruce is saying stay with the program and use this opportunity to get mentally focused on your goals.  I used a similar mantra when I was doing my long runs for my marathon.  Whenever things got really hard because it was hot or I was lacking sleep or something I would remind myself of how hard I have trained to get where I was already.  I knew I could get everything done and achieve my goals, but I had to stay positive.  3 more days and you're going to be a free woman.

2011-03-07 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3385758

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

DirkP - 2011-03-07 5:48 AM  

3 more days and you're going to be a free woman. 

Ah, but there in lies the rub.  I only said 3 days until I go back to the doc.  They might change the bandages, take a look at things, and wrap me back up for another week!  Frown  I WILL get a couple good workouts in--just in case!  LOL

2011-03-07 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3385788

User image

Expert
Boston
jfought - 2011-03-07 6:50 AM

DirkP - 2011-03-07 5:48 AM  

3 more days and you're going to be a free woman. 

Ah, but there in lies the rub.  I only said 3 days until I go back to the doc.  They might change the bandages, take a look at things, and wrap me back up for another week!  Frown  I WILL get a couple good workouts in--just in case!  LOL

It is so hard for us to take time off.  ...take Bruce's advice about the mental training coz when you are out there on a race...its mostly mental at that point anyway.  Also this is the time to add yoga/stretching/foam rolling, etc.. into your routine...oh so important but oh so expendable in our eyes.  I know in my own routine its the first to get cut if I just don't have time. 

I had a quiet weekend...in bed!   My husband caught a cold and then passed it on to me.   I haven't been sick in years!  I am feeling a little better today but am going to take one more day off.  Yesterday am was 54F and sunny (before the rains came in the afternoon) and I was scheduled for a long bike ride outside.   This didn't make staying in bed any easier.  

Have a great week everyone!

2011-03-07 8:22 AM

User image

Indianapolis

Spring is almost here folks. Keep on training and soon enough we will actually have some nice weather to get out and enjoy! 

Jayne, I know it has to be tough on you right now and I am hoping for the best when you go back to the doctor! Try to stay strong and positive! You'll be healed up!

Seren, Get over the flu and get back to it! As you said, the weather is warming up and it's so nice to be outside to feel the wind on your face again when you are biking! 

Dirk, I might be doing the Geist now that I am putting in some miles running... if so, IT'S ON . Also, Glad to see you are all signed up for Tri-Indy again!

Edited to say this week's goals. 

I am going to Vegas Tuesday-Saturday night so I won't be able to get my bike up this week, but I am hoping to get in 6 day's running. Goal mileage of 32-35. Depends on how I feel. It is supposed to be in the 70's (highs) and 50's (lows) for the whole time we are there, so I can't wait!! Driving to Chicago at 6pm tonight to catch an 8am flight Tuesday morning... woooo

Edited by Stickyrunner01 2011-03-07 8:27 AM

2011-03-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3385953

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-03-07 9:22 AM

Dirk, I might be doing the Geist now that I am putting in some miles running... if so, IT'S ON . Also, Glad to see you are all signed up for Tri-Indy again!

Oh, it's on like donkey kong!!  Get registered and I'll see you there.  I''ll try to hang with you as long as I can but then I'm out.  I am hoping for a 1:35 or maybe slightly better if I can stand it.  That would be a 3 minute cut from lat year's Mini-Indy that I came in at 1:38:00, which is my current PR.

Are you going to do Tri-Indy?  Olympic or Sprint?  I hope to PR that race too.  I should be able to hit that on solid too, barring any unforeseen issues.

This is a recovery week for me so I am backing down a bit for the week.  My legs are definitely in need of a little recovery time.  The additional bike time I have been hitting is giving my legs some grief but nothing I wouldn't expect from some hard training.  I should end the week with around 17 miles running and 2:45 on the bike.  The swim I intend to keep progressing upward after the layoff for 3 weeks.  But it will be a slow progression back to where I was at before the injury time out.

2011-03-07 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3387034

User image

Indianapolis
DirkP - 2011-03-07 5:22 PM

Oh, it's on like donkey kong!!  Get registered and I'll see you there.  I''ll try to hang with you as long as I can but then I'm out.  I am hoping for a 1:35 or maybe slightly better if I can stand it.  That would be a 3 minute cut from lat year's Mini-Indy that I came in at 1:38:00, which is my current PR.

Are you going to do Tri-Indy?  Olympic or Sprint?  I hope to PR that race too.  I should be able to hit that on solid too, barring any unforeseen issues.

This is a recovery week for me so I am backing down a bit for the week.  My legs are definitely in need of a little recovery time.  The additional bike time I have been hitting is giving my legs some grief but nothing I wouldn't expect from some hard training.  I should end the week with around 17 miles running and 2:45 on the bike.  The swim I intend to keep progressing upward after the layoff for 3 weeks.  But it will be a slow progression back to where I was at before the injury time out.

Hopefully I can get a fast time in the books there. I would like to go 1:20, but we'll see what the next few weeks hold running wise. 

I will most likely be doing the Olympic at Tri-Indy. I'd like to like 2:12, which would be a ~6 min PR (over a short course).

Enjoy the recovery week!

2011-03-07 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3387034

User image

Indianapolis
DirkP - 2011-03-07 5:22 PM

Hopefully I can get a fast time in the books there. I would like to go 1:20, but we'll see what the next few weeks hold running wise. 

I will most likely be doing the Olympic at Tri-Indy. I'd like to like 2:12, which would be a ~6 min PR (over a short course).

Enjoy the recovery week!

2011-03-08 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

i took the day away from training to spend a few minutes with my family.  They have been gone all weekend and finally got home at 2:30 AM.  I chose to ditch to hear how my wife's aunt did though the surgery and hear about all the goofy stuff that they had go on while at the hospital for 4 days.

2011-03-09 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Went back to doc today.  Left leg is better, but the right leg is back in compression for another 7 days.  It's a good news/bad news thing.  Still no vigorous exercise.  

2011-03-10 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

ive been really busy for the last couple of weeks not had a chance to do any trainning, been keeping active at work and went Larp last weekend so plenty of runnning around managed to out run a group of 6 players chasing me

this weekend the wife is away so no training till Monday. and Ive ordered a new bike nothing flash just better than my BSO.

2011-03-11 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3389287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

DirkP - 2011-03-09 1:55 AM
i took the day away from training to spend a few minutes with my family.  They have been gone all weekend and finally got home at 2:30 AM.  I chose to ditch to hear how my wife's aunt did though the surgery and hear about all the goofy stuff that they had go on while at the hospital for 4 days.

Sounds like the right decision to me.

Jayne: Just 6 more days hopefully and you'll be back

2011-03-12 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

My recovery week is just about over and I feel like it was a good thing for me.  Recovery weeks are difficult for me to abide by but they are a necessity to healthy training.  My run miles for the week aren't much lower than my normal week but the intensity was slightly down, and I cut 3 miles from my long run.

Who has the next planned race?  I am not up for a planned race until May 21.  I may do another 5k or 10k if I see one Iwould like to jump into but I am not seeing anything just yet.

2011-03-12 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3394728

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
DirkP - 2011-03-12 7:24 AM

Who has the next planned race?  I am not up for a planned race until May 21.  I may do another 5k or 10k if I see one Iwould like to jump into but I am not seeing anything just yet.

I'm registered for a 5k in Bloomington on April 2nd.  Hmmmm, we'll see.  Could happen.

If not, I'm going anyway.  My husband and his brother are both doing the half mary and my daughter is rowing with the I.U. rowing team.  She has a race that weekend, so I'm hoping to see her too.  Should be a good time.  That's also the kick-off to my Spring Break, so could be a week for some nice long rides.

Everything is still up in the air for me right now.  Just taking things one day at a time.  Today, I'm going to the gym to lift and then planning some yoga and stretching.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 22