BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-04-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)
Thanks ya'll--lots of notes, but crazy busy day. I hope to get a race report out tonight!

2009-04-07 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2065227

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)

So, I got hit by a truck yesterday running. I hate drivers around here. I was approaching a 4-way stop and there was a school bus there with the pick up behind it. I was a few yards short so I waved the bus through. The pick up then pulled up to where he was supposed to stop. He made eye contact with me and then hit the gas. The back end fish tailed a bit (it was raining) and hit me in the torso. I slammed me hands on the truck and screamed "MOTHERF$#KER!!!!" He pulled through the intersection and hit the brakes. I motioned for him to come back and he took off. I am not sure that he was afraid of the beating I was about to give him or what. I did not get his plate # because i was so mad....(some cop I am right??)

I have a nice bruise on my left shoulder, but otherwise I am no worse for wear. Lucky he did not run over my feet with his big phallic tires. I ahve many close calls around here on my bike, but usually not when running. Ugh....

2009-04-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2067575

User image

Elite
Connecticut
gator22 - 2009-04-07 8:07 AM

So, I got hit by a truck yesterday running. I hate drivers around here. I was approaching a 4-way stop and there was a school bus there with the pick up behind it. I was a few yards short so I waved the bus through. The pick up then pulled up to where he was supposed to stop. He made eye contact with me and then hit the gas. The back end fish tailed a bit (it was raining) and hit me in the torso. I slammed me hands on the truck and screamed "MOTHERF$#KER!!!!" He pulled through the intersection and hit the brakes. I motioned for him to come back and he took off. I am not sure that he was afraid of the beating I was about to give him or what. I did not get his plate # because i was so mad....(some cop I am right??)

I have a nice bruise on my left shoulder, but otherwise I am no worse for wear. Lucky he did not run over my feet with his big phallic tires. I ahve many close calls around here on my bike, but usually not when running. Ugh....

Holy crap, that is awful!  What a jerk!    Glad you are okay minus the bruise.  How frustrating. 
2009-04-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2067666

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2009-04-07 8:06 AM
gator22 - 2009-04-07 8:07 AM

Holy crap, that is awful!  What a jerk!    Glad you are okay minus the bruise.  How frustrating. 

Arghhhh...I hate hearing about things like this because it's SO senseless. I mean seriously, what is so intimidating about a person running or cycling that makes someone else commit an assault or attempted murder because that is what it is!!! I've never even thought about trying to hit another car with my car, much less a PERSON....argh...glad you are okay for the most part!
2009-04-07 1:41 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan
Hi folks,  Sorry I've been missing.  Training, but not blogging.  Wow.  So much has happened. 

Brittany, so sorry to read about your leg and that you missed out on Boston.  Glad to know that you could defer.  But it looks like you had a FANTASTIC race in Galveston.  That's the nice thing about Multi-Sporting...you've got three options!  I heard the mosquitos decided to come out for the race...welcome to the Gulf Coast.

Erica...yikes, looks like you're recovering too.  Umm, yea, your swims are goliath!  Good grief.  Your base is gonna be out-of-sight.  IM here you come!

Kirk...good freaking grief on the truck.  What an idiot. He's only a man if he picks on runners!  I'm glad you weren't hurt (and I wish he'd stopped ...  maybe not, but still).  I swear that's my worst fear, getting hit or otherwise assaulted by a nimrod.  I purchased a rear view mirror but felt silly so I haven't worn it much.  But I do check over my shoulder a lot.  Even though Austin (and even home..Chappell Hill) are generally bike (and runner) friendly...I'd rather look death in the eye than get hit from behind!  Stay safe.

Wes...spring fever is an understatement.  My youngest son and I are the cold natured ones and both of us have had enough with the fluctuations.  Bring on summer!

All right, so I can't commit.  Olympic or Sprint for CapTex tri?  My first tri ever will be The Rookie (a mini tri) two weeks before CapTex Tri.  I'm on a 1/2 training plan and am training in the distances, I just can't decide to pull the trigger.  Once I've paid for it, I'll commit to it.  Which explains why I haven't paid for it!  My original plan was to do sprints until Austin Tri in August.  But now that seems a long way off and too close to Longhorn 70.3 in October.  Probably being too ambitious here, but it's my nature.  Hmmm.
2009-04-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2068686

User image

Elite
Connecticut
kishop - 2009-04-07 2:41 PM
All right, so I can't commit.  Olympic or Sprint for CapTex tri?  My first tri ever will be The Rookie (a mini tri) two weeks before CapTex Tri.  I'm on a 1/2 training plan and am training in the distances, I just can't decide to pull the trigger.  Once I've paid for it, I'll commit to it.  Which explains why I haven't paid for it!  My original plan was to do sprints until Austin Tri in August.  But now that seems a long way off and too close to Longhorn 70.3 in October.  Probably being too ambitious here, but it's my nature.  Hmmm.

How long is the mini?  Is it close to sprint distance?  If so, I say go for the oly.  Kind of like stepping stones.  Sprint, oly, HIM.  That being said, I'll be doing my HIM before an oly so maybe don't listen to me!

2009-04-09 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2071403

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2009-04-08 1:07 PM
kishop - 2009-04-07 2:41 PM

How long is the mini?  Is it close to sprint distance?  If so, I say go for the oly.  Kind of like stepping stones.  Sprint, oly, HIM.  That being said, I'll be doing my HIM before an oly so maybe don't listen to me!

Kedra--hey girl, welcome back!! Everyone, I'm SOOO sorry I seem to have been distant, it's been a rough month for me.  Anyhow, about CapTex, it really depends upon your goal for racing.  The Rookie is a pretty short sprint and would be a great spin up for the sprint at CapTex which has a significantly longer swim and bike.  If you think the Austin Oly is too far out from what you'd like to do, check out the Waco Triathlon http://triwaco.org/.  It will be an olymypic distance race and just up the road from Austin a bit.  I might be doing that one as well, we'll see how my leg is doing come CapTex.  I wouldn't say, though, that the Austin Oly is too close to Longhorn though.  It's nearly two months prior, you just need to be prepared to treat that as a training day (so only a mini-taper) if your A race is Longhorn (which is a PHENOMENAL race and I think I'll be volunteering at it--too close for me to race it or even the Aquabike prior to IMFL).

To everyone---I am so sorry I haven't been as active or in blogs as I should be. It truly has been insane. Thanks to all of you for your encouragment of me.  I know they are having the new mentor groups start.  I will not be stopping this one, we can continue it so long as y'all want to throughout this season.  BUT, don't worry about my being offended if you want to join someone elses.  I will still drop in here and in your logs as often as I can, but I just wanted to make sure you knew I won't be hurt if you want to try some advice from someone else!
KEEP ON TRAINING!
2009-04-09 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2074012

User image

Expert
It seems weird they would start new mentor groups before the race season really begins??? Us in the NE are still dusting snow off our cars!!
2009-04-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2074068

User image

Elite
Connecticut
gator22 - 2009-04-09 1:36 PM It seems weird they would start new mentor groups before the race season really begins??? Us in the NE are still dusting snow off our cars!!

I thought the same thing!  It is weird that people are racing every weekend and we are still freezing!  That being said, today was nice and I got a bike ride in OUTSIDE!!!   Ummm, I'm slow.  I need to make it a point to get outside every chance I get!
2009-04-12 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2074655

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Not sure I like this new design.   I can't pull up the site from my phone anymore!
2009-04-14 10:28 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
CREW! It's mid-April, holy cow where does the time go by! Life is crazy to say the least, and I know you all understand.  How those of you with children do it, I have no idea but you are my heroes!

So, who is racing this month? Kedra--did you figure out which race to go for?  Kirk and Erica--how goes HIM training? 
My calf is doing much better and I forsee running in the near future, not at Boston next week, but that's okay.  The past few weeks have been rough on me in a number of ways. I go on a week of vacation starting tomorrow, and when I get back my nose goes back to the grindstone!!  I must admit, I haven't been paying attention to race weight all that much, and I seriously need to do so.  TODAY IS THE DAY! 

How is everyone?

2009-04-14 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2083244

User image

Expert

I am feeling really tired and busy, but tis the season for that. I am hoping to get a 9 mile run and 30ish mile bike ride in this week. the kids are off and I am chasing them and work, so who knows???

2009-04-14 7:20 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2009-04-14 11:28 AM CREW! It's mid-April, holy cow where does the time go by! Life is crazy to say the least, and I know you all understand.  How those of you with children do it, I have no idea but you are my heroes!

So, who is racing this month? Kedra--did you figure out which race to go for?  Kirk and Erica--how goes HIM training? 
My calf is doing much better and I forsee running in the near future, not at Boston next week, but that's okay.  The past few weeks have been rough on me in a number of ways. I go on a week of vacation starting tomorrow, and when I get back my nose goes back to the grindstone!!  I must admit, I haven't been paying attention to race weight all that much, and I seriously need to do so.  TODAY IS THE DAY! 

How is everyone?

HIM training is going well.  I have been hitting most of my workouts.  Almost all my bike and run training but have been blowing off some swimming.  I don't feel too bad about that though.  I must say, as much as I think the plan might be overkill on swimming, I am getting faster.  During my speed swim last week, my average 100 times were 1:53.  I was wicked excited about that.  It is nice to see progress.  I am getting outside this weekend for my long ride so that is another positive!  I am still worried about biking 56 miles and then running 13 but I know I can do it.  Trust the training, right?
2009-04-14 9:01 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan
TexasMPGal - 2009-04-14 10:28 AM CREW! It's mid-April, holy cow where does the time go by! Life is crazy to say the least, and I know you all understand.  How those of you with children do it, I have no idea but you are my heroes!

How is everyone?

Hi Brittany and all,  I'm glad to hear your calf is recovering.  No good time for an injury, but you've got a long season ahead of you!  I'm excited about your vacation.  I'll have to live vicariously through you for a while until I can squeeze on in.  Those of us with kids...busy!  Those of us without kids...busy!  Speaking of kids...my soon-to-be-7 year old wants to do a tri.  I found him one in Houston and he's stoked about the training.  We took on Town Lake this evening (he rode, I ran) and he didn't take anyone down.  We'll have to work on the trail etiquette a bit more though.  My 3 year old also wants a 'race', so I'll have to find him a kids run.  I think the Bun Run has one.  I'll have to keep reminding him that at no time, not once, will I carry him!

Thanks for the recommendation on the Waco Tri. I think I'll do that one.  It will follow a long string of business and personal travel, so that will be a good guage of how much my training fell off!  And get me back on the wheel for Austin Tri.  So, I'm going to do the Sprint at CapTri.  I feel pretty good about that.  Rookie in 1 month...whoo hoo.  Ready to get this show on the road.  It feels like I've been 'training' for a triathlon FOREVER!
2009-04-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2084969

User image

Expert

Well, I got an e-mail from the race director for my HIM. I had requested Tony's badge number for my race number. It turns out that she lives in the next town over and knows the whole story. She put a big message on the race website and added one on the race t-shirts. No pressure to finish now!!!

2009-04-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2085512

User image

Expert

Ok all you runners. Here is my dilemma. I am wanting to run 9 miles tommorrow. It would be my longest run to date. I am planning on going on a dirt/crushed gravel path that is really flat. However, during my last two runs (5 miles/4 miles) I have felt the onset of shin splints. This has me nervous. Should I back off for a while. My HIM is not until 6/27 and I need to do some long runs but i don't want to get hurt. Opinions??

2009-04-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2086258

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
gator22 - 2009-04-15 12:20 PM

Ok all you runners. Here is my dilemma. I am wanting to run 9 miles tommorrow. It would be my longest run to date. I am planning on going on a dirt/crushed gravel path that is really flat. However, during my last two runs (5 miles/4 miles) I have felt the onset of shin splints. This has me nervous. Should I back off for a while. My HIM is not until 6/27 and I need to do some long runs but i don't want to get hurt. Opinions??

Kirk- don't run through the pain of shin splints, start off with the plan to do the run, but if they start getting painful, then don't finish it out that way....you do have long enough before then that if it's not as long, you'll be okay.  Maybe sub in some extra biking (cause while run fitness surely counts, if your bike fitness is solid, you'll have more gas in the tank for the run) or finish up on a elliptical...do NOT excaberate shin splints (if that's what you have).  Also, I suggest icing them post-activity as well.  Be careful!!
2009-04-15 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2087079

User image

Expert

Thanks Brit! My marathon running co-workers told me to bag it. I am just going to ride for the two hours instead and push it back to Monday....

2009-04-18 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2087101

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Hope all is well.  I see I'm not the only one that has been slacking on the logs and board. 

It has been tough to get motivated when my next race seems so far away.  End of July (sprint), August (sprint), September (olympic) and hopefully a Half Marathon to end the year.  I have been finding my way back on the bike a bit, even though it is inside.  In the meantime I plan on spending lots of time in the yard, fixing up the house, playing baseball and playing at the lake!

---

Wes

2009-04-19 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  I got a nice ride in today.  A bad one yesterday.  I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.  Eat before you ride.  I left the house w/o eating breakfast and had no calories on my ride.  I was dying 20 mile into it.   Stoopid mistake that will not be made again!  Today's ride was with a few BT people.  Lots of talking and some decent hills.  My legs are a tad sore. 

I am thinking about switching up my training plan a little and focusing more on biking and not so much on swimming.  Biking is definitely my weakness and it's the longest part of the tri.  Soooo, I am thinking I need to focus on my weakness.
2009-04-20 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2095302

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2009-04-19 12:28 PM Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  I got a nice ride in today.  A bad one yesterday.  I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.  Eat before you ride.  I left the house w/o eating breakfast and had no calories on my ride.  I was dying 20 mile into it.   Stoopid mistake that will not be made again!  Today's ride was with a few BT people.  Lots of talking and some decent hills.  My legs are a tad sore. 

I am thinking about switching up my training plan a little and focusing more on biking and not so much on swimming.  Biking is definitely my weakness and it's the longest part of the tri.  Soooo, I am thinking I need to focus on my weakness.

Some smart remarks here.  The swim is important, but truly, it is the shortest portion of the bike.  If you are comfortable with your swimming but not as much on bike and run, then maintain the swimming and improve the bike and run.  The bike is probably one of the most crucial aspects of a triathlon.  The faster you get on the bike, the more time-overall, you are able to bank.  Also, the more bike fitness you have, the more you will have in the proverbial "tank" when you get to the run.  Improving on the bike is key.  Nutrition on the bike is key--as you have learned!!

I am still up here in Buffalo and will make my way home on Wednesday where I plan on hitting hard.  I posted it in my blog, but my doctor confirmed this past week that the bone scan DID indicate a stress fracture on the top of my fibula.  It's been a month since I hurt it, and it is definitely healing.  They say 6 weeks is usually the healing time...so maybe I get to run again soon!  Either way, I'm having a good "off season" for these past few weeks and am ready to tackle it hard and heavy starting Thursday!

2009-04-20 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2096562

User image

Expert

Brit, if you are in Buffalo you are dealin with the same Sh#t weather I am right now. I cannot shake the shin splints either. I ran twenty some minutes on a treadmill this morning. I am going to have to think about walking 13.1 miles.....They will close the race down before I finish, but I don't care. My wife will wait for me or else so won't be able to get home from the adirondacks!!

2009-04-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2096972

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Looks like it's going to be a rainy day in Dallas today.  Maybe it's time to hit the pool again.  I joined the Boys vs Girls swim challenge for May so I have to get to the pool more now!

2009-04-25 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2109511

User image

Elite
Connecticut
wkirbytri - 2009-04-25 9:07 AM

Looks like it's going to be a rainy day in Dallas today.  Maybe it's time to hit the pool again.  I joined the Boys vs Girls swim challenge for May so I have to get to the pool more now!

Oh, it's on!  I'm in for that challenge too.  Should be fun!  I have no intentions of having an assatar so I will be in the pool and meet my goal for sure!
2009-04-25 5:02 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Phew, what a crazy and busy few days back from vacation. A week seemed long, but then again, so has the past 3 days!! I hear the NE is getting some AWESOME weather. I left that for you when I came home on Wednesday.  Not that I wish it on you, but I would've liked to have left the wind as well.

Some inter-group swim rivarly!! Awesome!! I'm afraid to ask what an "assatar" is--I'm assuming it's a picture of your butt as your avatar...haha, that's pretty funny.

I've hit it hard since I've been home and I can tell that the past two weeks of "down time" have bit me a little, oh well.  The leg is healing up and I really think I can run soon.  I don't have any pain at all, but I don't want to go to early and re-injure anything either! I'm supposed to race an Oly at the end of May (Memorial Day) and that should be able to happen, but I fear what my running is going to look like when I start back up! Oh well, part of the deal!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20