BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-06-08 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2198950

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
EvenOlder - 2009-06-06 10:30 AM Nature is a funny thing.
So the huge waves and heavy winds literally picked up the buoys and were pulling them down the beach.  Amid lightning strikes and jet black sky clouds, they called off the swim.  I saw someone jump in the water and swim with the current.  He did two permanent beach buoys (300y) in about 10 seconds with the current.  Fierce waters.

So there we are all standing around at the run start because they decided to change it to a 2mi run/13mi bike/3.1mi run.

That's when the heavens opened and it began raining so hard you could only see about 10 ft in front of you.  Of course, without a bull horn the announcing turned into he said/she said/they said down the line.  About 1/4 of the people left at this point.

I pulled on sunglasses so I could keep my eyes open in the driving rain and took off.

It's funny how the beach turns into a mud pit in a heavy deluge.  Good times running in that.

Screwed up my T1 because i'd never practiced taking my shoes and socks OFF before getting on the bike.  Turns out sand will get everywhere when you run in a soupy gulash of seaweed and beach sand.  Shoes, socks, legs.  Managed to have a sock stuck to the velcro on my bike shoes so I stopped, thinking it was something wrong with my shoe.  Ripped it off and took off onto the main road.

Crushed the bike.  Never was passed, stopped counting after passing 20 people.  The rain scared the other sissies so they went slow.  I learned that skinny road bike tires will cut right through puddles, but the spray onto other people might have drowned out my "on your left" call.

By the end of the bike, the rain slowed a bit.  Picked up my errant sock on the way in to transition amid cheers and guffaws from the onlookers.  Rain was just a drizzle, calm enough that I could run the next 3.1mi without sunglasses.   I kind of missed the rain at this point cooling me down.

Considered stopping after the run, but the wife and kids had come out and so I talked a minute or two to them and put my wet sandy socks and shoes on. The run sucked because it's my weakest event.  Calves were talkin' to me in the soft sand.

Nice practice session for next week's race on honeymoon island.

Time by my watch, 1:31.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes,
steve

Nice work Steve. Glad they didn't cancel the race altogether. Good luck next weekend!

2009-06-08 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
It just keeps getting better  (This one's for you cole):
On my slow, easy recovery ride to stretch out the muscles the day after my race-
looked down at my feet for no good reason, rode off the side of the road, 20mph wipeout on the pavement.
major road rash left side and heels of my hands.  bike ok, scraped up stuff on the left side.
IF the skin heals, then I'll race sunday.

Lesson learned, keep my eyes on the road.

steve
2009-06-08 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2203486

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-06-08 6:19 PM It just keeps getting better  (This one's for you cole):
On my slow, easy recovery ride to stretch out the muscles the day after my race-
looked down at my feet for no good reason, rode off the side of the road, 20mph wipeout on the pavement.
major road rash left side and heels of my hands.  bike ok, scraped up stuff on the left side.

steve

Glad you're okay.

I di dthat a few weeks ago on the bike trail with KristenRN and her husband. I was riding alongside Kristen talking about cadence and not really watching my line other than giving her distance. Problem is I gave her too much distance and cruised right off the concrete bike path into the grassy shoulder. I cruised to a stop and unclipped though. Luckily I was at a point on the trail where I could do that. Lesson learned though I got off light...
2009-06-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2203486

New user
Gautier, MS
EvenOlder - 2009-06-08 6:19 PM It just keeps getting better  (This one's for you cole):

steve

Man... I know the feeling.  I am still not back to 100% since my fall and it has been a month or so.  Hopefully you had a soft landing and are just scraped up.  If that is the case you should be good to go in a few days.  I hit one of the bones in my knee so hard I couldn't run for 10 days.  You should know in a day or two how banged up you are.  Ibuprofen, ice, and rest is what pulled me through. 

2009-06-09 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Just scrapes.  But it's been fun explaining to my patients as I wrestle my gloves over the bandages on the heels of my hands.  (Dentist)
I know I should start wearing gloves on the training rides, but I hate them.
I'm optimistic about things getting better in time for sunday's race.  It was only moderately painful this morning in the shower, and lots of gooey fibrin was present when I peeled off the bandages.
steve
2009-06-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2204676

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-06-09 9:16 AM Just scrapes.  But it's been fun explaining to my patients as I wrestle my gloves over the bandages on the heels of my hands.  (Dentist)
I'm optimistic about things getting better in time for sunday's race.  It was only moderately painful this morning in the shower, and lots of gooey fibrin was present when I peeled off the bandages.
steve

I've never thought of wearing gloves on a ride... probably because I've never landed on my hands when I fell.

2009-06-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2205302

New user
Gautier, MS
Bill - 2009-06-09 12:23 PM
EvenOlder - 2009-06-09 9:16 AM Just scrapes.  But it's been fun explaining to my patients as I wrestle my gloves over the bandages on the heels of my hands.  (Dentist)
steve

I've never thought of wearing gloves on a ride... probably because I've never landed on my hands when I fell.

I always wear them on training rides.  I don't in races because of the time factor.  I guess it carried over from my mountain biking days.  You just about have to wear them if you are doing off road mountain biking.  I didn't think about the benefit of saving the skin on my hands, but that is an added bonus!
2009-06-10 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good morning everyone. Quick question...what foods do you find settle well before working out especially before a run...I usually go for about 4 hours without being able to eat anything between driving and getting out of swim practice and I need to find something that I can eat before a go for a run so that way I don't hit the wall once I get home.
2009-06-10 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
For me it depends on the time of day I run and how long I intend to be out, but if I need some calories before a run I usually have an Eggo waffle or two with peanut butter, or 1/2 a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. I usually run at 0500 though, and my freezer is always full of Eggos because of my kids, so maybe it's more out of convenience. Or a Cliff Bar if I have any laying around.

I always try to give myself 30 minutes though between eating and running. Another real important factor is your post-run recovery meal. Do you usually have something to eat after a workout? For me, that goes a long way with me not hitting the wall.
2009-06-10 11:29 AM

New user
Before a workout regardless of whether it's a run, swim, or ride, I eat either a cup of Kashi Go Lean with 1% Milk or a Greek Yogurt with a 1/4 cup of granola. Both are followed by a scoop of rice protein powder desolved in water.
2009-06-10 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
I have a question for the group too. I know it's mostly personal choice and comfort, but who here races without socks?

I did my first OWS last weekend followed by a bike, and I saw for the first time what a b*tch it will be to get on socks in transition, with my feet soaking wet and full of sand. I've never tried riding without socks, but am contemplating trying out some Zoot shoes or something geared to go sockless. In my mind, at least, it seems easy enough for a sprint distance. What do y'all do?

And just as a side note...I weighed in today at 191, which puts me at -12 lbs over the last few months. I'm super stoked and feel great. I just wanted to tell you guys because all I get from my wife is how all I ever want to do is work out.

2009-06-10 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
That is totally awesome.
2009-06-10 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2208134

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-10 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2208879

Elite
Texas
JeepFleeb - 2009-06-10 7:29 PM
gran - 2009-06-10 1:32 PM
I have a question for the group too. I know it's mostly personal choice and comfort, but who here races without socks?

I never wear socks on the bike and I'll only put on socks for a HIM run or longer.

Just be sure to practice it first before race day.

Exactly.

I find it helps to put a little body glide on the rough spots inside my shoes wen I run without socks. I'll do the same with my bike shoes, but really only the upper heel cup so they slide on easier while I'm pedaling.
2009-06-10 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2208937

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Bill - 2009-06-10 8:04 PM
JeepFleeb - 2009-06-10 7:29 PM
gran - 2009-06-10 1:32 PM

I never wear socks on the bike and I'll only put on socks for a HIM run or longer.

Just be sure to practice it first before race day.

Exactly.

I find it helps to put a little body glide on the rough spots inside my shoes wen I run without socks. I'll do the same with my bike shoes, but really only the upper heel cup so they slide on easier while I'm pedaling.

^^^x2 or x3 -- I lost count!    Anyway, I tried running without socks about a week before my first tri, and it wasn't pretty.  Fortunately the blisters healed enough to not cause a problem.  But definitely practice first!

2009-06-10 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2208134

Elite
Texas
gran - 2009-06-10 1:32 PM I have a question for the group too. I know it's mostly personal choice and comfort, but who here races without socks? I did my first OWS last weekend followed by a bike, and I saw for the first time what a b*tch it will be to get on socks in transition, with my feet soaking wet and full of sand. I've never tried riding without socks, but am contemplating trying out some Zoot shoes or something geared to go sockless. In my mind, at least, it seems easy enough for a sprint distance. What do y'all do? And just as a side note...I weighed in today at 191, which puts me at -12 lbs over the last few months. I'm super stoked and feel great. I just wanted to tell you guys because all I get from my wife is how all I ever want to do is work out.

Congrats! 12 pounds makes a big difference on the bike and run.

2009-06-11 9:41 AM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Good job on the -12 Gran.

I have been away for a while on holiday, and dealing with a flu before that, but I am glad to be back. My life is going to get pretty hectic with moving and studying for my course, but I really want to keep my fitness levels improving and training from dropping off.

My goal is to race at least one sprint tri this year and I feel that I am at a level now where I could attempt one I just have to find out my Course Schedule on Monday and see when I can make it happen. I know you guys all lead pretty busy hectic lives and I am wondering what keeps you motivated and what are some tips for keep your training on track?

Thanks!
2009-06-11 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2210032

Elite
Texas
justinfss - 2009-06-11 9:41 AM Good job on the -12 Gran. I have been away for a while on holiday, and dealing with a flu before that, but I am glad to be back. My life is going to get pretty hectic with moving and studying for my course, but I really want to keep my fitness levels improving and training from dropping off. My goal is to race at least one sprint tri this year and I feel that I am at a level now where I could attempt one I just have to find out my Course Schedule on Monday and see when I can make it happen. I know you guys all lead pretty busy hectic lives and I am wondering what keeps you motivated and what are some tips for keep your training on track? Thanks!

I worked 80-100 hour weeks the first few years of tri training, so now that I only work 40-50 I feel like I have all the time in the world. That said, it can still be challenging to get it done because of family commitments etc...

One thing I've found is that I tend to have better odds early in the day. Evening workouts tend to get bumped when my schedule doesn't go as planned.

Also, making sleep a priority has helped. It's a lot easier to get up early to train when I've had more than 6 hours of sleep. Any less than that and it's probably better for me to stay in bed. Getting 5 hours of sleep, having a poor quality workout, and then being tired the rest of the day probably does more harm than good. Taking an unscheduled rest day and restructuring my plan for the rest of the week is suboptimal, but it's proven to be better than training tired. I recover better, have better quality sessions, I am more consistent over time when I approach missed or compromised workouts that way.
2009-06-11 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2210146

Regular
Jacksonville
Bill - 2009-06-11 10:08 AM

One thing I've found is that I tend to have better odds early in the day. Evening workouts tend to get bumped when my schedule doesn't go as planned.
Also, making sleep a priority has helped.

x2 - My wife still thinks I'm nuts, but if I don't wake up and train by 0500 or during my lunch at work, it generally doesn't get done. Another perk to working out early is having a beer as soon as I get home from a long day at work, instead of worrying about having to get a workout in
2009-06-11 1:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
I tend to get most of my workouts in durigng the evening/night but would love to be able to get them done in the morning just becaus esometimes things do come up and evening workouts get bumped. You really have to have a strong will to get workouts done in the evenings especially afterwork. I've found that if I try to meet up with others it holds me accountable to actually get it done.
2009-06-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2211074

Elite
Texas
etselec444 - 2009-06-11 1:49 PM I tend to get most of my workouts in durigng the evening/night but would love to be able to get them done in the morning just becaus esometimes things do come up and evening workouts get bumped. You really have to have a strong will to get workouts done in the evenings especially afterwork. I've found that if I try to meet up with others it holds me accountable to actually get it done.

Accountability helps. Unfortunately in five years I've met someone to swim once, met someone to run once, and biked with someone maybe a dozen times.

Tri training can be very solitary. Not that that's always a bad thing... but knowing someone is meeting you for a workout makes it harder to tank just because you don't feel like it in my experience.

2009-06-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2211579

Extreme Veteran
Bill - 2009-06-11 2:54 PM
etselec444 - 2009-06-11 1:49 PM

Accountability helps. Unfortunately in five years I've met someone to swim once, met someone to run once, and biked with someone maybe a dozen times.

Tri training can be very solitary. Not that that's always a bad thing... but knowing someone is meeting you for a workout makes it harder to tank just because you don't feel like it in my experience.

apparently we Arizonans are a highly social bunch
2009-06-11 5:14 PM

Veteran
Sarasota FL
This group and the training log helps.
Planning your training the day before helps.
Telling your friends when your next race is so you better be ready helps.
Results helps.
Losing weight and looking better helps.
Telling people people i'm training for a triathlon and seeing looks of awe helps.

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-06-11 5:38 PM
2009-06-11 7:39 PM

Regular
Beaumont
Whenever I don't feel like doing my scheduled workouts, I will pull up some ironman video's on youtube.  Works every time.  I get the chills, jitters, etc.  Way better than caffeine for me, but I am pretty weird!

Matter of fact, I just watched a few and probably will have trouble falling asleep Wink 
2009-06-11 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2211645

Elite
Texas
etselec444 - 2009-06-11 4:17 PM
Bill - 2009-06-11 2:54 PM
etselec444 - 2009-06-11 1:49 PM

apparently we Arizonans are a highly social bunch

Ironically enough as I was walking out to the trail for my run I saw KristenRN starting a run with her dog. We ran about 1/4 mile together and her dog was not feeling it (WAY too hot) so I was on my own. But I'd say that counts...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26