BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-01-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2619589

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
sstucker - 2010-01-18 11:48 AM That's the kind of info I'm looking for, I'm referring to Michael's links he posted earlier for the small dissertation and Fitzgerald's 'proprioceptive cues' . There seems to be a lot more information being passed around here and I've been wanting to join in a few times. Sorry folks don't mean to highjack your group but with permission from Michael I've ask if it would be OK to chime in. This is your group and if you feel that there are enough people here then I'll stick to reading only. I will not be offended if you choose to not have me, I'm a big boy I can take it. Note: My BIO is on the first page. Regards, Sylvain

Sylvain-I thought you were in, and perhaps just lurking. I say, Welcome!

2010-01-18 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2619483

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-18 11:02 AM Thanks for the shout outs everyone, much appreciated.

Recovery...One of the things I like about using Plans is that the recovery periods are built in and I don't have to think much about what to do next and how much, unless of course (like now) my running base is further along and I might have to alter mileage numbers a bit.  It is hard to bring it down, but know it is important.  Michael thanks for the comments on strides.  I have never used those into my runs nor speed type workouts or hills.  I have been looking at some plans lately that have those built in which again makes it easier to do.

More snow....UndecidedI used to live in South Dakota and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; snowed all the time.  I always tell my wife I wished we lived back in South Dakota, but now that I am involved in Tri's I am rethinking those comments.  She'd never do it; she hates snow.  She has the brains of the bunch.

Easy day today; toes feel a little better.  Will do my Core Today with an early Indoor Cycling Class tomorrow morning.  Have a great week everyone.

More snow, huh?  Well, then maybe I shouldn't tell you that on my run this afternoon I saw college students playing beach volleyball in shorts with no shirts.  Yes, things have returned to normal here in sunny SC....  Oops.  Too late.  Innocent

2010-01-18 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Welcome Sylvain.
Melinda

2010-01-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2619711

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
scout21 - 2010-01-18 12:49 PM

sstucker - 2010-01-18 10:48 AM That's the kind of info I'm looking for, I'm referring to Michael's links he posted earlier for the small dissertation and Fitzgerald's 'proprioceptive cues' . There seems to be a lot more information being passed around here and I've been wanting to join in a few times. Sorry folks don't mean to highjack your group but with permission from Michael I've ask if it would be OK to chime in. This is your group and if you feel that there are enough people here then I'll stick to reading only. I will not be offended if you choose to not have me, I'm a big boy I can take it. Note: My BIO is on the first page. Regards, Sylvain

My vote is welcome aboard!

On a different note, training and diet are going to take a hit this week.  My wife's uncle passed away yesterday very suddenly.  The next few days are going to be filled with too much food, too many tears and too many stories.  Please keep my family in your prayers.  His name was Jack and he passed at 57 years.  He and his wife were still head over heels in love after just celbrating their 30th anniversary.  They have two daughters, the oldest is in her mid 20's and the youngest is a JR in high school.  Jack was the patriarch of our family and is going to be missed more than I can imagine.  We are all feeling very lost right now.  This is going to be an awful week to get through.

Scout

Sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sylvain
2010-01-18 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2620860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-01-18 10:48 PM

TriGuyBri - 2010-01-18 11:02 AM Thanks for the shout outs everyone, much appreciated.

Recovery...One of the things I like about using Plans is that the recovery periods are built in and I don't have to think much about what to do next and how much, unless of course (like now) my running base is further along and I might have to alter mileage numbers a bit.  It is hard to bring it down, but know it is important.  Michael thanks for the comments on strides.  I have never used those into my runs nor speed type workouts or hills.  I have been looking at some plans lately that have those built in which again makes it easier to do.

More snow....UndecidedI used to live in South Dakota and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; snowed all the time.  I always tell my wife I wished we lived back in South Dakota, but now that I am involved in Tri's I am rethinking those comments.  She'd never do it; she hates snow.  She has the brains of the bunch.

Easy day today; toes feel a little better.  Will do my Core Today with an early Indoor Cycling Class tomorrow morning.  Have a great week everyone.

More snow, huh?  Well, then maybe I shouldn't tell you that on my run this afternoon I saw college students playing beach volleyball in shorts with no shirts.  Yes, things have returned to normal here in sunny SC....  Oops.  Too late.  Innocent

I can't believe the great weather we're getting up here, my igloo is starting to melt. LOL We're getting 30 degree weather all week and calling for 40 during weekend...no snow!!! It's just no right, but I don't mind cause that means I can have my runs outside. Last year I was fighting record snow falls. Mother nature works in mysterious ways.

Sylvain
2010-01-19 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Welcome back Sylvain!  Glad you decided to return.  btw, don't know if you've seen the posts, but we're doing a January challenge for weight loss and another goal.  If you'd like to be part of that just send me a message or inspire with your weight loss goal for the month and whatever other goal you'd like to track publicly.  Each Saturday, send me your progress and I'll update the goal grid on Sunday.

We had great weather here yesterday too... took the afternoon off and went for a 90 minute bike ride... IN SHORTS and T-SHIRT!  Woohooo... nice change after Michigan and South Bend.  Can always count on Virginia to throw you a few bones in the middle of winter to help you get through. 

-Stu

2010-01-19 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2621078

User image

Expert
juneapple - 2010-01-19 7:50 AM Welcome back Sylvain!  Glad you decided to return.  btw, don't know if you've seen the posts, but we're doing a January challenge for weight loss and another goal.  If you'd like to be part of that just send me a message or inspire with your weight loss goal for the month and whatever other goal you'd like to track publicly.  Each Saturday, send me your progress and I'll update the goal grid on Sunday.

We had great weather here yesterday too... took the afternoon off and went for a 90 minute bike ride... IN SHORTS and T-SHIRT!  Woohooo... nice change after Michigan and South Bend.  Can always count on Virginia to throw you a few bones in the middle of winter to help you get through. 

-Stu

Ohh- I'd love to get outside on my bike! I think thats probably about 4 months away for me.
2010-01-19 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Had a good 1500m swim workout this morning. I actually had fun. I no longer dread going to the pool. First indoor tri is in two weeks and I was really worried about the swim. Not anymore.
500m should be a breeze.

Edited by StlPhil 2010-01-19 9:12 AM
2010-01-19 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Morning everyone.  Hopefully I'll get out for a lunchtime run.  I'm done in the pool for at least a few days.  The dermatologist removed some moles from my back and I'm waiting for them to heal a bit more before getting into the water.  Still need to get on the bike too...

Scout
2010-01-19 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Scout, So sorry about your loss. 57 is way too young.

2010-01-19 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Training question:

Friends of mine are looking to organize a 1/2 mary in April They have asked me to train and run in it.  I'm interested in doing this, because it would be a huge running accomplishment for me. I think I need the peer pressure to push myself with my running and not get complacent.
So, my questions are: Is it possible to train for an oly and a 1/2 mary at the same time?
     How do I incorporate the 2 goals?

BTW- my first sprint isnt until the end of June.

2010-01-19 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
sorry for you lose scout. 57 is way to young to leave.

sorry for being mia lately lots of work-that really disrupts my online BT time. plus lots of family activities. but those are now behind me and now i can press on with some good quality training, and BT time.
2010-01-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2621712

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
slow turtle - 2010-01-19 11:55 AM

Training question:

Friends of mine are looking to organize a 1/2 mary in April They have asked me to train and run in it.  I'm interested in doing this, because it would be a huge running accomplishment for me. I think I need the peer pressure to push myself with my running and not get complacent.
So, my questions are: Is it possible to train for an oly and a 1/2 mary at the same time?

I would think it's as simple as creating a run focus program, just need to adjust the run by increasing the milage to reflect a half. You have plenty of time between the half and your June sprint to concentrate on the other two sports.

I just setup a run and swim focus plan. I'm running a 30K race on March 28 so I setup my run program to reflect that mileage which will put me way ahead for my first sprint in June. On swimming I've setup a plan to swim from 0 to 1 mile in six week. I'm new to endurance swimming so I'm trying this out (0 to 1650). I'm in week two of that plan.

I'm new to tri, so this is just my opinion. I'm curious how others think.

-Sylvain
2010-01-19 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

I agree with Sylvain.  No reason why not.  Just increase your run mileage slowly so that you don't wind up injured.

I ran 8 miles at lunch today with 9X400 intervals thrown in.  Felt really good.

Scout

2010-01-19 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
slow turtle - 2010-01-19 10:55 AM Training question:

That is what I'm doing right now. I have a half mary on April 11th. I use Higdon's 1/2 mary plan http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm and have incorporated cycling and swimming on cross training days. Example:

M - swim am cycle pm
T - run
W- swim am cycle pm
Th- run
F - swim am run pm (short)
S- long run
S- Off

Scaled back a little this week as a recovery week, but will get back on it next week

Phil
2010-01-19 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I agree with the others.  Yes, Oly + HM can be done.

Do watch out for 'clashes' between these two goals.  You may need to decide which one is more important to you.  For example, in order to get the necessary running in, you might have to reduce intensity or volume somewhere else.  Don't sacrifice your bike and run TOO much though, or your Oly will be, um, no fun.

If you attempt this by 'marrying' a HM plan with an Oly plan, you might find it isn't quite a match made in heaven without some rearranging.  Since you haven't run that distance, the biggest challenge will be to increase your run volume (safely), and as you get into uncharted territory, your long run is likely to be the toughest workout of the week.  You'll want to schedule your other (tri-related) workouts with this in mind -- giving yourself a decent chance to recover from the long run before you pile on a long or hard bike, for example.

One way to do this, if you can manage it, is to put your long run in the middle of the week, and your long bike on the weekend.  So, for example, you could try doing a long run on Wednesday, take Thursday as an off day (or active recovery), Friday an easy run day, and Saturday a long bike.  Doing so isn't necessary, but it would make building your run mileage a bit easier, I think.

You might also find it useful to do more bricks than you'd normally do.  The reason is that you will be building your run volume faster than a normal Oly plan would have you do that.  Bricks are a good way to get some running without adding another workout to your schedule.  You are already warmed up after the bike, so you can just jump into your running shoes and run a few miles that you wouldn't have gotten in otherwise.  But don't let these brick runs be your 'quality' run of the week.  For example, don't do your long run as a brick run, and if you do any kind of speedwork, don't do that as a brick run either.  You want to be relatively fresh for those workouts.  Just use the brick runs to build mileage.  You'll gain the added advantage of huge confidence coming off the bike in your Oly.

Bottom line:  (1) build the run volume starting now, and do it conservatively; (2) respect the recovery needs after the long run, especially distances that you've never done before (or in recent memory).

2010-01-19 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Thank you all for your sympathies.  This is a very difficult week.

Scout
2010-01-19 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
slow turtle - 2010-01-19 11:55 AM Training question:

I did both last year, though in reverse order.  OLY in early Oct, 1/2 Mary in mid-Nov.  My only mistake (and others have mentioned it) was increasing the run distance too quickly.  Otherwise, I think it is great to change up races to keep things fresh and fun (but that may just be me).  Early spring is the best season for running I think.  Summer is bike time!

When is the OLY?

-Stu
2010-01-19 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
slow turtle - 2010-01-19 11:55 AM

Training question:<br /><br />Friends of mine are looking to organize a 1/2 mary in April They have asked me to train and run in it.  I'm interested in doing this, because it would be a huge running accomplishment for me. I think I need the peer pressure to push myself with my running and not get complacent.<br />So, my questions are: Is it possible to train for an oly and a 1/2 mary at the same time?<br />     How do I incorporate the 2 goals?<br /><br />BTW- my first sprint isnt until the end of June.

For my 1/2 and 3 marathon training I used plans created by a tool on runnersworld.com called the smartcoach. You need to register to get access to it and also need latest time of a race you performed. The output is dependent on total mileage you currently run, and time of last race and also number weeks to race day.

Below is an example, this is partial output : (If you want I can create for you and send you a PM)
*** Sorry the chart below is not showing well in the message - I attached excel file with full 16 week program.

Wk Dat Mon Tues Weds Thurs Fri Sat Sun Total
1 18-Jan Rest Easy Run Rest Easy Run Rest Rest Easy Run 6 miles
24-Jan / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT / XT Dist: 2 mi
@11:37 @11:37 @11:37
2 25-Jan Rest Easy Run Rest Easy Run Rest Rest Easy Run 7 miles
31-Jan / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT / XT Dist: 3 mi
3 01-Feb Rest Easy Run Rest Easy Run Rest Rest Easy Run 9 miles
07-Feb / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT Dist: 3 mi / XT / XT Dist: 4 mi
4 08-Feb Rest Easy Run Rest Easy Run Rest Rest Easy Run 10 miles
14-Feb / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT Dist: 3 mi / XT / XT Dist: 5 mi
5 15-Feb Rest Easy Run Rest Tempo Run Rest Rest Long Run 13 miles
21-Feb / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT Dist: 5 mi, inc / XT / XT Dist: 6 mi
@11:30 Warm; 3 mi @ 9:53; Cool @11:30
6 22-Feb Rest Easy Run Rest Speedwork Rest Rest Long Run 13 miles
28-Feb / XT Dist: 2 mi / XT Dist: 5 mi, inc / XT / XT Dist: 6 mi
@11:30 Warm; 2x1600 in 9:19 @11:30
w/800 jogs; Cool

Edited by sstucker 2010-01-19 6:28 PM

Attachments
----------------
HalfTrainingPlan.xls (23KB - 7 downloads)
2010-01-19 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Back from California...launched the start of my HIM training plan today with a 30 minute slow run. 

Scout, I'm very sorry to hear about your family's loss. 

2010-01-19 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
slow turtle - 2010-01-19 8:55 AM Training question:

Isn't that funny.  I was thinking the same thing regarding possibly doing a 1/2 Mary in late May with the idea of training off of an Olympic Triathlon plan for a race later in the year; like late Sept.  Would be doing Sprints before that. 

However, after giving it more thought I will just continue doing 10K's and build on that to develop a quicker pace/better time to assist me with the run in my Sprint Tri's and be ready for the Olympic in Sept. 

Slow turtle...Please let us know how it goes with the marrying of the two plans; I am interested in the details (Pros and Cons) along the way.

5:40 pm Pacific Time...Waiting for the wife and son to get home so I can go out and do my run 5-5.5 miles; slow pace.  I am sure she'll just love that; cossing paths through the night.  My legs weren't sore at all after the 10K.  My toes actually feel a lot better; retired the old 10.5 size shoes and will use my new ones tonight.  My wife actually agreed I needed another pair of bigger and better running shoes after seeing the blister and red small toe. 

2010-01-19 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2622955

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-19 8:46 PM

Isn't that funny.  I was thinking the same thing regarding possibly doing a 1/2 Mary in late May with the idea of training off of an Olympic Triathlon plan for a race later in the year; like late Sept.  Would be doing Sprints before that. 

However, after giving it more thought I will just continue doing 10K's and build on that to develop a quicker pace/better time to assist me with the run in my Sprint Tri's and be ready for the Olympic in Sept. 

Slow turtle...Please let us know how it goes with the marrying of the two plans; I am interested in the details (Pros and Cons) along the way.

5:40 pm Pacific Time...Waiting for the wife and son to get home so I can go out and do my run 5-5.5 miles; slow pace.  I am sure she'll just love that; cossing paths through the night.  My legs weren't sore at all after the 10K.  My toes actually feel a lot better; retired the old 10.5 size shoes and will use my new ones tonight.  My wife actually agreed I needed another pair of bigger and better running shoes after seeing the blister and red small toe. 

Blisters!!! Do you use proper running socks? I have yet to get a blister and I've even run a 30K race in the rain without a problem. I highly recommend running socks they make a big difference and your feet wil love you.
2010-01-19 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for all the advice about the 1/2 training. I'll spend some time in the next few days figuring out what plan might work for me.  I may very well have more questions.

I have to go to Tampa this Thursday for a 4 day work conference. I'm hoping to get a run (or 2)in while I'm there. It would be a shame to let the warm temps go to waste.
2010-01-19 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2623001

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-01-19 6:08 PM
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-19 8:46 PM

Blisters!!! Do you use proper running socks? I have yet to get a blister and I've even run a 30K race in the rain without a problem. I highly recommend running socks they make a big difference and your feet wil love you.

A blister right on the tip of my toe next to my big toe on my right foot; left foot no problems.  I wore running socks.  However, I ran in a pair of running shoes that have the width I require but are shorter than I should be wearing.  I bought them right when I began running and didn't want them to go to waste so continued to wear them and wore them for the last time on Sunday rather than use my new ones I haven't run in before.  As I learned more about what I should be wearing I received better advice on the correct size shoe to wear.  Used my new running shoes this evening for a 4 mile run and they felt good even with the healing blister.
2010-01-19 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2623178

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-01-19 10:32 PM Thanks for all the advice about the 1/2 training. I'll spend some time in the next few days figuring out what plan might work for me.  I may very well have more questions.

I have to go to Tampa this Thursday for a 4 day work conference. I'm hoping to get a run (or 2)in while I'm there. It would be a shame to let the warm temps go to waste.

No doubt!  I did an unplanned run today partly for that very reason.  I know that these warm temps (ridiculously warm here -- 70 degrees today) won't last.

Brian, glad to hear that the new shoes are working out.  Yes, too short shoes will cause blisters and black (= eventually lost) toe nails.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46