BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-02-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3356047

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
microspawn - 2011-02-15 8:41 AM
loper245 - 2011-02-14 2:01 PM

What do you guys and gals think about unfueled runs? I need to drop weight, and I am a sprinter when it comes to weight loss.

I often don't eat anything in the morning if the session is less than 90 minutes and the intensity is moderate. Many people swear they lose more wieght that way but I don't know. I just do it because I don't want to eat anything big and then go for a run.

I'm similar. I only have additional nutrition for longer efforts (10+ mile runs, 40+ mile rides). Even then, its a gel on the run and an apple on the bike. For longer efforts, I'll take a couple of gels for the run. Otherwise, it's business as usual. I've noticed that most people over-fuel for exercise and end up eating way more than they used in their session.

2011-02-15 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Extreme Veteran
I see people pop open an energy drink to walk across the parking lot. I don't want the sugars. I really try to see it as fuel.
2011-02-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3356171

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
MonkeyClaw - 2011-02-15 12:32 PM
microspawn - 2011-02-15 8:41 AM
loper245 - 2011-02-14 2:01 PM

What do you guys and gals think about unfueled runs? I need to drop weight, and I am a sprinter when it comes to weight loss.

I often don't eat anything in the morning if the session is less than 90 minutes and the intensity is moderate. Many people swear they lose more wieght that way but I don't know. I just do it because I don't want to eat anything big and then go for a run.

I'm similar. I only have additional nutrition for longer efforts (10+ mile runs, 40+ mile rides). Even then, its a gel on the run and an apple on the bike. For longer efforts, I'll take a couple of gels for the run. Otherwise, it's business as usual. I've noticed that most people over-fuel for exercise and end up eating way more than they used in their session.

oooh, not me.  I can't do anything in the morning unless I eat.  Of course I'm not trying to drop weight.  I tend to wake up starving. I can't imagine going for a run on an empty stomach.  I don't eat much prior, maybe a couple eggs or oatmeal about an hour or so before, but I have to have something. 

On another note...I just had the best run of my season!   I'm in a new area, in the mountains, and over the past couple weeks(i really only started running here about 3 weeks ago), I started out killing myself to do 10:30 miles around here for 3 miles.  Well, I'm very proud to say that today, I did a 4.3 mile run in 8:36 min/miles!  I'm very excited with the progress!
2011-02-15 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Do you think it is because you are adapting to the altitude?
2011-02-15 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3356427

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
I don't know. I'm in the NC mountains, so they're not really high.  It's about 2500 feet here, give or take.  And in charlotte it was around 700, so it's not a huge difference, but could be a subtle change. 
2011-02-15 11:11 PM
in reply to: #3356003

User image

Colorado Springs
Swim went awesome! I did 1100 yds including drills and cool down. It was much different with others doing the same workout and having a coach. There is two groups I am obviously part of the beginner group, but got some huge help with technique. Now to apply it will be the key. Sorry can't add to the weight loss discussion, never been an issue here,mine is the opposite trying to build muscle. I am happy to say I have noticed over last 7 weeks a more defined me.

2011-02-16 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Glad the swim went well.  I can relate with the swim, it is my weakest of the three. I am working with a coach to finally try and learn to swim like a fish.

Can't help with the weight thing either.  It has never been an issue.  If I do not eat before a workout, then I am usually starving about 30 minutes in. 
2011-02-16 11:19 AM

I was running last night and a question came to me and thought I would get the experts' opinions on it.

I am now in my base period of training.

Which is more important, distance (miles, i.e.) or time?

Last night my goal was to run 5 mi. and after a while I wanted to stop, but instead of burning out running at a 6.6 mph pace, I dropped to 5.4 and jogged for the rest and hit 5 miles but it took longer than expected. I am using a treadmill for now, but tomorrow I am going to be running outdoors for the first time since october, I can't wait!
2011-02-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3357982

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
loper245 - 2011-02-16 9:19 AM I was running last night and a question came to me and thought I would get the experts' opinions on it.

I am now in my base period of training.

Which is more important, distance (miles, i.e.) or time?

Last night my goal was to run 5 mi. and after a while I wanted to stop, but instead of burning out running at a 6.6 mph pace, I dropped to 5.4 and jogged for the rest and hit 5 miles but it took longer than expected. I am using a treadmill for now, but tomorrow I am going to be running outdoors for the first time since october, I can't wait!

Well, I think it's going to depend on how your training is structured and how you work mentally.  For example, if your training is structured by miles (it sounds like it is), you probably want to hit your mileage, regardless of how long it takes.  Whether you are feeling good or bad, you have to hit 5 miles.  That can be a good thing or a bad thing, in my opinion.  It requires you to push to get to your desired distance, but sometimes it might be better to call it at 4.5 because the effort was hard enough.

I prefer to train by time.  But when I say time, I don't mean pace (unless a workout calls for it).  My training plans are structured by minutes.  For example, my long run calls for 90 mins - not 12 miles.  By running for time, you are able to run according to how you feel.  Some days I might go 11 miles in 90 minutes, while others I might go closer to 13.  I'm able to adjust my runs by listening to my body. 

There are advantages to both styles.  If you need the extra push to know you have to hit a certain mileage, stick with that plan.  In short, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it.  It's personal preference.

Have fun outside tomorrow!!!

Drew 
2011-02-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3357205

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
bledsoepatriot - 2011-02-15 9:11 PM Swim went awesome! I did 1100 yds including drills and cool down. It was much different with others doing the same workout and having a coach. There is two groups I am obviously part of the beginner group, but got some huge help with technique. Now to apply it will be the key. Sorry can't add to the weight loss discussion, never been an issue here,mine is the opposite trying to build muscle. I am happy to say I have noticed over last 7 weeks a more defined me.

That's great!  The technique part is huge, and it's great you've got some help.  It really is amazing how much easier it is to swim when you are with a group.  Everyone, join a masters group NOW if you can.  
2011-02-16 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3354565

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
I just found out that my gall bladder is functioning at 11%. That's bad. It's supposed to be >35% That means it will probably come out. I asked if I could have it out after tri season (AKA never LOL) and the doc said that's possible. I'm feeling a lot of things today. The recovery is two weeks after surgery if all goes well and that does NOT fit into my Hal Higdon plan Cry

As others have mentioned, I'm sorry to hear about this, but your attitude is awesome!  Whether you get the surgery now or later, make sure your health is your number 1 priority (I say that even though I run myself into the ground constantly for triathlon).  While it may seem like forever, a 2 week recovery isn't enough time to lose too much fitness, so you could likely be back at top form very quickly. 

2011-02-17 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3358059

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-02-16 12:40 PM
bledsoepatriot - 2011-02-15 9:11 PM Swim went awesome! I did 1100 yds including drills and cool down. It was much different with others doing the same workout and having a coach. There is two groups I am obviously part of the beginner group, but got some huge help with technique. Now to apply it will be the key. Sorry can't add to the weight loss discussion, never been an issue here,mine is the opposite trying to build muscle. I am happy to say I have noticed over last 7 weeks a more defined me.

That's great!  The technique part is huge, and it's great you've got some help.  It really is amazing how much easier it is to swim when you are with a group.  Everyone, join a masters group NOW if you can.  

I would LOVE too, but the meetings where I live are incredibly inconvenient and far away.  And man, there are almost no triathlete's in this town.  I guess I'm use to where I used to live where they were everywhere. Hopefully as the weather warms up I'll start finding some.  It was easy to find them in charlotte cause everyone in the pool donned the "inside out sports" swim caps.  There is a group here, but it seems very inactive so far. 
2011-02-20 7:48 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Just entered my last few workouts, super busy week at work and school. Glad I gt some workouts in and going on long trail run with girlfriend and son today. I am going to start getting up early and train in the am,that seems to be the time that I can actually get it done. There is a group here that train with a coach, the group I swam with. I am hoping that I will be able to meet with them, will just depend on work schedule. Hope eveeryone having a great weekend.
2011-02-20 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Last minute change in plans for me.  Downside is I had to skip today's mtb duathlon (which would have been a BLAST after all the rain this week).  Upside is we're going to Disneyland on Tuesday through Friday!  We were just going to send the kids to go with Grandma and cousins, but decided to make a family trip of it.

Got in a long run today, on the harsh concrete jungle of the San Fernando Valley running from my In-law's house...  Seriously though, I could really feel a difference in my feet and knees compared to my usual trail running in dirt.

I'm hoping to get in some runs next week, but am not sure if it will happen once we get to Disneyland.  looks like the hotel has a sweet full size pool though, so I may get to at least swim some laps.
2011-02-21 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
After a bit of a slack week last week (I'm going to call it a recovery week) I'm looking to ramp up a bit more this week. 

Started off Saturday with a 30 minute run while my daughter was at a girl scout event.  I decided to blow off the 2 hour spin class on Sunday in favor of riding outdoors.  I didn't get in a full 2 hours, but managed at 30 mile ride before the sun started to set.  I think it's the coldest weather I've ridden outdoors in (about 50).  I need to get some full finger gloves before I attempt that again, but it sure beat riding on the trainer.  Wish I didn't have to work today, as the temp is supposed to be high 60's today, but wind gusts up to 50 mph.  (Yikes

Masters swim class today had us swiming intervals.  8x50 - starting every 60 seconds, and 4x100 every 120 seconds.  After the first two sets, I was a fairly consistant 52 seconds/50m, and 55 sec/100m.  Doing some quick math, If I can maintain a similar pace for the 300m for my Apr 2 sprint tri, that gets me out of the water sub 5:20, which would be top 5 for my age group, and a heck of a lot faster than my 7:02 last year.
2011-02-21 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3364915

User image

Extreme Veteran
mandsberry - 2011-02-21 9:30 AM

Doing some quick math, If I can maintain a similar pace for the 300m for my Apr 2 sprint tri, that gets me out of the water sub 5:20, which would be top 5 for my age group, and a heck of a lot faster than my 7:02 last year.

Good job with the swim, however, I find it hard to translate the pool time to the open water times. I find that the push from the wall and the straight line on the bottom really help with the speed. I have tracked my open eater swims with a GPS in my swim cap and although they are not all over the place there is some zigzagging.

If you are able to wear a wetsuit then that can help equalize the time.

I’m out of commission for a little while. I had a pretty good run in with the asphalt on a ride yesterday. Just bumped and bruised and a broken helmet – read more here - http://www.powermultisport.com/

2011-02-21 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3364205

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
norcal_SAHD - 2011-02-20 3:20 PM Last minute change in plans for me.  Downside is I had to skip today's mtb duathlon (which would have been a BLAST after all the rain this week).  Upside is we're going to Disneyland on Tuesday through Friday!  We were just going to send the kids to go with Grandma and cousins, but decided to make a family trip of it.

Got in a long run today, on the harsh concrete jungle of the San Fernando Valley running from my In-law's house...  Seriously though, I could really feel a difference in my feet and knees compared to my usual trail running in dirt.

I'm hoping to get in some runs next week, but am not sure if it will happen once we get to Disneyland.  looks like the hotel has a sweet full size pool though, so I may get to at least swim some laps.

Have a great time at Disney! Your training will wait a few days.Laughing
2011-02-21 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3364943

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
microspawn - 2011-02-21 10:41 AM  Good job with the swim, however, I find it hard to translate the pool time to the open water times. I find that the push from the wall and the straight line on the bottom really help with the speed. I have tracked my open eater swims with a GPS in my swim cap and although they are not all over the place there is some zigzagging. If you are able to wear a wetsuit then that can help equalize the time. I’m out of commission for a little while. I had a pretty good run in with the asphalt on a ride yesterday. Just bumped and bruised and a broken helmet – read more here - http://www.powermultisport.com/

I hear you on the OWS vs Pool swim.  I've never swam in "clear" open water.  All of the events I've done locally enjoy a nice dark olive green colored water with visibility limited to the reach of my arm at most.  I do wear a wetsuit when the temps allow it; though given I'm no threat to the podium, I could theoretically wear it for just about all events.  (I cling to the possiblity of a freak tidal wave taking out the front 2/3's of an event, leaving me and a few others BOPer's to compete for the podium)  j/k of course..... 

A couple of the Sprint events around here use a pool swim rather than OWS.  300 - 400 meters, where you swim up and back in each lane, then under the ropes and repeat for each lane in the pool. 
2011-02-21 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Augh, I hate crashing! One of the reasons I don't race (although I'd do a TT if one was nearby). It's tough to avoid following a new person in the group though. Its just a risk that has to be taken sometimes. I'm glad you're OK!

I didn't do anything this weekend. Literally, no exercise at all. It was very strange. We had a rare snow storm, so I decided to take the time off to rest my body. Usually I would at least swim one of the days, but I would have been swimming in the blowing snow since there is only an outdoor pool here. I'm ready for an 8-9 mile run today though, and maybe a swim later. With the marathon over, I'm shortening my long run to 14-15 miles and upping my speed work. I'm also debating between doing a ride on the trainer once or twice a week instead of outdoors. This would be better for pure interval and speed work, since there are a lot of hills on my regular ride.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Oh yes - I was selected for the Gear and Training Triathlon team! So I have my first Tri sponsor. I was pretty excited about it Smile
2011-02-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3364205

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA

Enjoy Disneyland, and welcome to the concrete jungle that I run in every day.  The key is to go off-road for the long runs.   
2011-02-21 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
I’m out of commission for a little while. I had a pretty good run in with the asphalt on a ride yesterday. Just bumped and bruised and a broken helmet – read more here - http://www.powermultisport.com/

Ouch!  Glad the injuries seem somewhat minor all things considered.  There are just some situations that can't be avoided.  I had a similar crash at Age Group Worlds in Australia, but the guy that crashed first softened my landed. ha!  

Heal up and don't rush back into anything too quickly!  Think of it as a unplanned recovery week(s). 

2011-02-21 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3365258

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Oh yes - I was selected for the Gear and Training Triathlon team! So I have my first Tri sponsor. I was pretty excited about it Smile

Amazing!  That's very exciting news.  How many people are on the team?  Give us all the details and make sure to share your experience with us! 
2011-02-21 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3365680

User image

Extreme Veteran
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-02-21 3:37 PM

Heal up and don't rush back into anything too quickly!  Think of it as a unplanned recovery week(s). 

Exactly - This is probably what my legs needed. They did not get hurt and I will have to stay off of them for about a week. I'll come back bigger, better, faster, stronger!
2011-02-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3365683

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Well gang, sorry for being MIA the past 3-4 days.  Things have been CRAZY in good ol' Los Angeles the past week.  A few highlights...

Thursday/Friday:  In preparation for a big client meeting on Friday, I was stuck at work until 5:00am on Thursday night (technically, Friday AM).  Not too shabby, right?  Had to be back in the office at 8:30am.  Advertising is definitely not the most ideal job for training sometimes, but I'm not complaining.  

Saturday: I was scheduled for master's swimming at 6:45am, but that wasn't happening.  I needed to sleep in to catch up from Friday's work festivities.  I ended up swimming on my own.  I felt terrible, but knocked out 3800 yards.  I also had a long run schedule so I slugged through 13.5 miles (90 mins).  The run was actually pretty solid all things considered.  It was raining, and I always enjoy running in the rain (assuming it's not freezing outside).

Sunday: My coach, Ian Murray, got together 4 of his athletes for a great race simulation in Malibu.  It was myself, Henry Hagenbuch (another pro, who runs on a completely different level - he was an All-American at UCLA) and two quick junior racers.  Henry and I were sent out on a two-hour ride along the coast before the race simulation.  In hindsight, this was a little much as Henry and I really struggled to get through the workout.  We had a headwind for the first half of the ride and I think it taxed our legs more than we realized.

The race simulation was at Malibu High School.  We had a transition set up and attacked it like a real race.  We did a quick swim warm-up and then got right into it.  The original plan was to do 3 sets of the following:

6x100's (2 @ 1:30, 2 @ 1:20, 2 @ 1:10)
Immediately hop out of the water and run to T1
5k (very hilly) Bike
From T2, run to the track for a 2K run, dec. by 800/800/400.

Henry and I were both cramping by the first lap on the bike.  I was feeling a little better than he was, and was able to drop him on the bike and hold him off on the run.  He called it a day after the first round.  I was able to knock out one more, but it was a complete sufferfest.  An absolutely amazing workout, which we'll be doing again soon (without the ride before hand!).  

On Sunday evening, I was fortunate enough to attend the NBA All-Star Game complements of work.  It's incredible how athletic those guys are - but they can't do what we do.

Hope you are all enjoying your long weekends (if applicable)!  I'm off for a farlek run, which is probably going to hurt more than it should.  

Also, if any of you are bored or want to check it out...my new website just launched at http://www.andrewhaberkorn.com. There are still a few updates coming in the next few days, but it's a start!  Let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions.

Drew 

2011-02-21 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Monkeyclaw--that is great that you were selected for the Gear and Training team!

Andrew--Awesome workouts.  How do you keep your energy levels up for all of that?

Saturday I took the day off.  Sunday, I ran 6 miles at an 8:40 pace (my easy run day), then quickly refueled and hit the road with some friends for a 27 mile bike.  It was super windy.  
Today, I had a hard workout in the pool, then had a run that did not go so well.   The goal of the run was to run 45 minutes at a 730-745 pace.  I was able to run the first 1.5 miles at a 7:45 pace, but then fell apart.  I had to take it down to a 10:00 pace to catch my breath.  Could not take it back down to the faster speed.  I ran the full 45 minutes, but stayed at about a 9:30.  Needless to say, not happy with the run at all.  My coach told me to take tomorrow off, that I am doing great, but my body needs a break.  

Saw a facebook post right after my run that said "Don't try to win every workout, save it for the race"       My first crappy run of the season, lets hope it will be the last. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24