BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!!!!

Luckily no serious injuries here. I fell on the ice last November and landed on my hand which transferred all the weight to the shoulder and arm muscles - that arm still hurts on occasion.

Ski accident years ago, did something to my left knee. I have had an MRI, but nothing conclusive showed up. It occassionally will flare up, the doc thinks it's the meniscus and it occasionally gets pulled b/c it is weaker.

IT band issues around christmas, I think I got that one taken care of by rest before it got worse.

However, as I get older it seems that there is always some nagging minor pain and things definately don't heal as fast.

2011-05-04 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Knock on wood, I have fortunately not had to deal with any serious injury that I couldn't train through.  Mostly hamstrings and calf problems, but never enough to miss more than a couple of days.  Usually I use that time to catch up on my swimming which is usually sorely lacking anyways. 

Training for the 2010 Goofy Challenge I did have to deal with a tender hamstring for about a month.  Ice and stretching and some ultra sound therapy by my PT friend got me through the race.  Missed a couple of the long runs, which I think cost me a couple of minutes, but I really can't complain.

The other minor injury, and you will probably find this as funny as my family and friends did came from a bike wreck in my basement. Embarassed  I was trying out my new rollers and was bracing my self with an old kitchen stool with a swivel seat on one side and my treadmill on the other.  For those of you that don't know, rollers are for indoor bike training, similar to a trainer, but you are free wheeling between a set of rollers in the rear which turn another roller in the front.  It takes a fair amount of balance and you need to be smooth on the bike.  Very good tool for improving bike handling skills.    I let my concentration wander and the back wheel slid off the rollers and start to launch me forward and instead of reaching for the solid treadmill I went for the stool back which swiveled and help me fly over the handlebars.  With all the racket, the wife came running down and after she realized I was alright, I thought she was going to pull a stomach muscle laughing at me.  She couldn't wait to tell my biking/tri buddies!

Mildly sprained wrist and a huge bruise on my ego! 
2011-05-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3481950

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

kenj - 2011-05-04 1:08 PM Knock on wood, I have fortunately not had to deal with any serious injury that I couldn't train through.  Mostly hamstrings and calf problems, but never enough to miss more than a couple of days.  Usually I use that time to catch up on my swimming which is usually sorely lacking anyways. 

Training for the 2010 Goofy Challenge I did have to deal with a tender hamstring for about a month.  Ice and stretching and some ultra sound therapy by my PT friend got me through the race.  Missed a couple of the long runs, which I think cost me a couple of minutes, but I really can't complain.

The other minor injury, and you will probably find this as funny as my family and friends did came from a bike wreck in my basement. Embarassed  I was trying out my new rollers and was bracing my self with an old kitchen stool with a swivel seat on one side and my treadmill on the other.  For those of you that don't know, rollers are for indoor bike training, similar to a trainer, but you are free wheeling between a set of rollers in the rear which turn another roller in the front.  It takes a fair amount of balance and you need to be smooth on the bike.  Very good tool for improving bike handling skills.    I let my concentration wander and the back wheel slid off the rollers and start to launch me forward and instead of reaching for the solid treadmill I went for the stool back which swiveled and help me fly over the handlebars.  With all the racket, the wife came running down and after she realized I was alright, I thought she was going to pull a stomach muscle laughing at me.  She couldn't wait to tell my biking/tri buddies!

Why I don't use rollers.  See above. 

They had some for free at an open house a couple of weeks ago.  They sat there. 

Best to practice rollers in a doorway so the bike can fall far, or so I heard.

2011-05-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3481735

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
KeriKadi - 2011-05-04 12:36 PM

QOTD: What injuries have you had in your training and how have you dealt with them?

My first injury when I started running in February 2009 was an ITBand injury in my left leg. I did stretching, foam roller, ice and rest and it got better. In December 2009 it came back with a vengence while HM training. Sat out the HM, took time off and nothing worked. February 2010 I found a chiropractor certified in ART = Active Release Techniques. At the time I could not run 2 miles without a lot of pain. After 2 sessions I was pain free, built up my run and have not dealt with it again.

In the fall of 2011 while training for my first HIM distance I started experiencing heel pain in my left foot. Was seeing my ART guy but when we realized it wasn't getting better I went for an MRI. September 4 I was put in a boot with crutches, I had a stress fracture of my cancaneus. My HIM was November 7. I continued to bike and swim and added aqua jogging. I did not run in the weeks leading to my HIM. We knew the run on race day would be tough and it was but my heel didn't bother me at all, just my lack of run fitness, it was a LONG 8 hour day! My heel aches every once in a while when it is cold but has heeled.

Right now I am battling some shin splint issues. It started with my right leg and when I see my ART guy it gets better but I haven't been since my Oly. Now it is affecting both shins. I have new shoes and have not changed running surface so it may be the way I am running. I need to get through the sprint I have on the 15th and then work at making this better.

My worst injury was a very minor hamstring pull last year. I saw my sports medicine orthopedist and said it was hip bursitis and gave me some anti-inflammatory cream to resolve the issue. I finally saw my chiropractor a few weeks later since the cream didn’t do anything. My back was hurting ans I also mentioned that my “hip” was bothering me. He found that my piriformis muscle was as tight as a “golf ball”. Do a google search on piriformis syndrome for more info. He though my back problem was directly related to my tight piriformis.

My first session went like this; he took the nice warm heating pads off my butt /leg then he shut off the electrode stimulation device and then proceeded to use his elbow to “massage” my muscle. I went back about 6 times to have this treated. It was excruciatingly painful as he did his deep tissue massages. But eventually the muscle relaxed.

I’m now using a foam roller to keep my muscles in check. On some days it can be quite painful if the muscles are really sore. But most of the time now, it’s just a maintenance session with the roller.

2011-05-04 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3481950

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-05-04 2:08 PM Knock on wood, I have fortunately not had to deal with any serious injury that I couldn't train through.  Mostly hamstrings and calf problems, but never enough to miss more than a couple of days.  Usually I use that time to catch up on my swimming which is usually sorely lacking anyways. 

Speaking of bikes falls……

About 3 weeks ago I was getting off my bike after a long ride and I unclipped my left shoe and planned on leaning to the left when my 8 year old son yells “Dad” from inside the house. I instinctively leaned to my right because that the direction he was calling me from…….

And yup I fell over but luckily my truck was there to stop me from hitting the pavement. Embarassed

2011-05-04 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3481452

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 8:29 AM

Got back from CA last night. HM went even better than I could of hoped! Going from 7200 feet to sea level made a HUGE difference. I don't think my HR ever went below 150 and at the last 1/2 mile it was over 170, but couldn't even tell. My goal was to run it under 2'30" and I did it in 2'18"!!!! I will get a RR up as soon as I can get some time. Course was beautiful and weather was gorgeous!

On my way home, I stopped at the LRS and bought a wetsuit.  Planned on just trying some on and then ordering online, but the owner was there and he offered me a sweet deal on a barely used one. Yeah!

Not official yet, but it looks like we will be moving to AK. So, I will be very, very busy in the next couple of months getting the house on the market. I am sure my training will suffer, but will try my best to at least keep my gains.

Congratulations! That is great!

2011-05-04 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 8:29 AM

Got back from CA last night. HM went even better than I could of hoped! Going from 7200 feet to sea level made a HUGE difference. I don't think my HR ever went below 150 and at the last 1/2 mile it was over 170, but couldn't even tell. My goal was to run it under 2'30" and I did it in 2'18"!!!! I will get a RR up as soon as I can get some time. Course was beautiful and weather was gorgeous!

On my way home, I stopped at the LRS and bought a wetsuit.  Planned on just trying some on and then ordering online, but the owner was there and he offered me a sweet deal on a barely used one. Yeah!

Not official yet, but it looks like we will be moving to AK. So, I will be very, very busy in the next couple of months getting the house on the market. I am sure my training will suffer, but will try my best to at least keep my gains.

Congratulations! That is great!

2011-05-04 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 9:29 AM

Awesome run

2011-05-05 4:38 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 11:29 AM

12 minutes in a half mary is HUGE.  congratulations!!

Ahh moving.  Did that last summer.  By the time one house was on the market, sold, other bought & moved in, the summer was gone.  Not to mention the de-cluttering that we did while moving.  All worth it in the end, but would not want to do it again soon!

2011-05-05 4:45 AM
in reply to: #3481735

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-05-04 1:36 PM

QOTD: What injuries have you had in your training and how have you dealt with them?

I have had plenty.  

Couple years ago had fractured ankle & wrist, ankle has steel plate, wrist titanium.  Not able to do anything for a month.  Went to gym & cycle with walking boot on.  Cycled during the winter & gradually back into the running.  Took a while for the soreness to go.

Had a sore hamstring on & off, Massage therapy seems to help this, although no trouble in the last year.

During Xmas break this injured my knee somehow.  No firm diagnosis, except arthritic.  Again, did a lot of time on bike during winter & gradually back to running.  Now trying to build up running distances again.  Now, if I am going for long run, will take an ibuprofen before & helps with knee soreness & swelling after run.  This is evolving & I am learning to manage it better.

R

2011-05-05 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Injuries, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention...

Wasn't that a Frank Sinatra song?

IT band tendinitis after HIM last fall.  Didn't slow down enough afterward, I'm told. 6 weeks with ortho, physical therapist. Learned the value of foam rollers, yoga...really good at prevention.  Also wearing straps just below my knees, which seem to wander when I don't.  The knee rubs the tendons and eventually they get sore. I haven't had any problems since I do the straps, foam rollers (Grid and Rumble Rollers) and yoga (Yoga for Cyclists DVD by Training Peaks and Yoga for Cyclists ebook from Roadbikerider.com for like $3) and a massage therapist  1- to 2-times a month depending on pain and workout load.

Swim continues to improve.  Another second off my 400 warm up and faster 100s than ever.  Basically farleks in the pool.  Speed work works.

Fartleks on a 7 mile run last night.   90 minute bike workout @ tempo 75% tonight.   I may ride the Real vid of IM Wisconsin for a while.

Have a great day.

Ice.

2011-05-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3483085

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-05-05 7:56 AM

Injuries, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention...

Wasn't that a Frank Sinatra song?

IT band tendinitis after HIM last fall.  Didn't slow down enough afterward, I'm told. 6 weeks with ortho, physical therapist. Learned the value of foam rollers, yoga...really good at prevention.  Also wearing straps just below my knees, which seem to wander when I don't.  The knee rubs the tendons and eventually they get sore. I haven't had any problems since I do the straps, foam rollers (Grid and Rumble Rollers) and yoga (Yoga for Cyclists DVD by Training Peaks and Yoga for Cyclists ebook from Roadbikerider.com for like $3) and a massage therapist  1- to 2-times a month depending on pain and workout load.

Swim continues to improve.  Another second off my 400 warm up and faster 100s than ever.  Basically farleks in the pool.  Speed work works.

Fartleks on a 7 mile run last night.   90 minute bike workout @ tempo 75% tonight.   I may ride the Real vid of IM Wisconsin for a while.

Have a great day.

Ice.

I beleive that was Frank! Nice!

Prevention and smart training usually prevents most injuries! 
2011-05-05 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3482981

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-05-05 5:45 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-05-04 1:36 PM

I have had plenty.  

Couple years ago had fractured ankle & wrist, ankle has steel plate, wrist titanium.  Not able to do anything for a month.  Went to gym & cycle with walking boot on.  Cycled during the winter & gradually back into the running.  Took a while for the soreness to go.

Had a sore hamstring on & off, Massage therapy seems to help this, although no trouble in the last year.

During Xmas break this injured my knee somehow.  No firm diagnosis, except arthritic.  Again, did a lot of time on bike during winter & gradually back to running.  Now trying to build up running distances again.  Now, if I am going for long run, will take an ibuprofen before & helps with knee soreness & swelling after run.  This is evolving & I am learning to manage it better.

R

Holy cow Richard, were you in a train wreck?
2011-05-05 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I was doing some inspiring this morning and I noticed you guys are all inspiring each other!  That is great!  I know that when I am trying to give myself an excuse to skip or cut short a workout, that knowing that someone may see that and comment helps with a little extra motivation to get it done!
2011-05-05 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Looks like I might get to ride outside today!!!! As of now it is 27 degrees, with only 6mph winds. A beautiful day!

Happy training everyone!!!!

2011-05-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3483245

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-05-05 9:25 AM I was doing some inspiring this morning and I noticed you guys are all inspiring each other!  That is great!  I know that when I am trying to give myself an excuse to skip or cut short a workout, that knowing that someone may see that and comment helps with a little extra motivation to get it done!

+1 - those inspires go a long way.....

2011-05-05 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

kenj - 2011-05-05 9:25 AM I was doing some inspiring this morning and I noticed you guys are all inspiring each other!  That is great!  I know that when I am trying to give myself an excuse to skip or cut short a workout, that knowing that someone may see that and comment helps with a little extra motivation to get it done!

Totally agree with this Ken!  To be inspired we must inspire each other.

'Blessed to be a blessing' is something that I strive for.

2011-05-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3483403

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
robingray_260 - 2011-05-05 10:20 AM

Looks like I might get to ride outside today!!!! As of now it is 27 degrees, with only 6mph winds. A beautiful day!

Happy training everyone!!!!

It was a balmy 32 this morning here.  I moved the trainer inside for my ride.

2011-05-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3470704

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
acv - 2011-04-28 8:54 AM

Recovery Week!

So do any of you plan recovery weeks? I’m not on a set plan yet I’m just base building to get in shape for my 20 week plan which starts in about a month. I usually do a 3 week build 1 week recovery.

Judging by the way I’ve been feeling and the fact that this is my 4th week of building time & distance I think I’m due for a little recovery. I usually just drop the distance by 15-20% and try to add an extra rest day in. Then I pick up where I left off the week before.

So what do the rest of you do? I’m especially interested in people training for longer distances where the miles really do add up quick.

I just wanted to bring this up again. I've cut back a little this week and after my bike ride yesterday I realized I was really tired. Today in fact I slept in. I was going to try and get my run in today but I guess that will have to be tomorrow. I wasn't mentally committed to running this morning although I set my alarm clock for 5:00am. I have it barely audible so I don’t wake up my wife I must have shut it off and I didn’t wake up till 7:00. I have to say I feel pretty rested right now.

I had two other people mentioned that during a recovery week that they feel tired. It’s been a while since I did a “true” recovery week and I just wanted to see if others felt tired during a recovery week. And more importantly any tips on getting back up to speed the next week?

Edited by acv 2011-05-05 9:40 AM
2011-05-05 9:59 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Just wanted to second the notion that the inspires go a long way.

When I go to respond to them it looks like I'm responding to a whole group and as that's not what I want I just don't.

2011-05-05 11:39 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

So true!  That is also why I have started tracking my calories... If I want to eat something I think "is that really something I want everyone to know I ate?"  If not, I don't eat it!

2011-05-05 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3483725

User image

Expert

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't checked in in a while. Lots of great stuff going on!

Congratulations on the new bike Vivian. Very nice! I think it is traditional to post pictures of a new bike for the group

Well done smashing your goal time in your HM, Robin. A great start to the racing season. I am looking forward to your RR.

Keri, you have certainly had your share of injuries. Your perseverance is inspiring. Makes me realize how fortunate I am since I have not had to deal with any injuries.

My training is going well. As usual, I should swim more, but I am feeling comfortable in the water. Running and biking have been great. I am really enjoying riding outdoors, and I have even been able to do a few rides in shorts, and a short sleeve jersey.

Anthony

2011-05-05 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Hello everyone..Thank You all for the inspires it keeps me going..Feeling good about my race next weekend,bike and run stronger than last year at this time however my swim is down been pushed for time and the ac joint seperation doesn't help matters,but will continue to move forward.. Got a short OWS in tonight but the water was still cool with no wetsuit..

Topic for group: How much if any do you taper the week before an event???

2011-05-05 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I just want to chime in with my love of "inspires' I try to get a chance to visit once in awhile and like having people chime in on mine.

As far as injuries go I've been very lucky. I've never really had anything that has kept me down. I've had some pains but most things so far seem to be taken care of with stretching and maybe a visit to the chiropractor.

Taper...it never seems to work for me, usually taper ends up being "do nothing" for me for some reason.

I just realized that my first tri is in one month....I can not even begin to imagine getting in to the water just yet!
2011-05-05 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi All,

So much going on in my life this week. We are under contract for a home and I keep receiving all these documents from the lender, title company, etc etc and it is making my head spin. So I am sorry I have not been as involved as I want to be. That will change though.

My run session with my coach went well. He videotaped me and when I saw the tape I said to him, "yep that is pretty much how I run". We spent a good amount of time working on my lean and pushing off from the back foot. He had me do some things to practice that and when he videotaped me at the end I did seem to be doing a bit better. He also suggested that I hold my arms more bent then I was and that seemed to make sense also. These things I need to work on seem manageble so that is my focus. It certainly  gives me something to focus on!

I need to catch up on the thread and will be more present here from now on.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72