Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-05-23 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

Ernesto,

I'm looking at your goals and thinking about my own.  Two of ours are in common (BQ and 20 min 5K).   (The IM's aren't on my radar right now.)

Are you actually thinking about running Boston, or just qualifying?  Because at this point I'm wondering what qualifying even means.   For the 2012 Boston, I would need a 3:30:59 to officially "qualify".  That seems doable (with a lot of training) since the usual rule is double half marathon time plus 10 which would put me at 3:26:02.

But I doubt that would get me in, since they are allowing early registration first by those that beat their qualifying time by 20 minutes (not counting the 59 seconds, so I would need 3:10), then by 10, then by 5, and finally everyone else if there is room, and even then they would choose the fastest first. 

But it gets both better and worse.  I don't want to run a marathon until October and by then 2012 will be filled.  For 2013 they are lowering all the qualifying times by 5:59.  Luckily, however, what counts is your age on the day of the race, and for 2013 I will be 50.  (Noooooooooooo!).  So what Boston giveth by my getting older (5 minutes), Boston taketh away by the new standards (5:59).  

So what year are you shooting for?

2011-05-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3514828

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-23 7:53 PM

Ernesto,

I'm looking at your goals and thinking about my own.  Two of ours are in common (BQ and 20 min 5K).   (The IM's aren't on my radar right now.)

Are you actually thinking about running Boston, or just qualifying?  Because at this point I'm wondering what qualifying even means.   For the 2012 Boston, I would need a 3:30:59 to officially "qualify".  That seems doable (with a lot of training) since the usual rule is double half marathon time plus 10 which would put me at 3:26:02.

But I doubt that would get me in, since they are allowing early registration first by those that beat their qualifying time by 20 minutes (not counting the 59 seconds, so I would need 3:10), then by 10, then by 5, and finally everyone else if there is room, and even then they would choose the fastest first. 

But it gets both better and worse.  I don't want to run a marathon until October and by then 2012 will be filled.  For 2013 they are lowering all the qualifying times by 5:59.  Luckily, however, what counts is your age on the day of the race, and for 2013 I will be 50.  (Noooooooooooo!).  So what Boston giveth by my getting older (5 minutes), Boston taketh away by the new standards (5:59).  

So what year are you shooting for?

Chris,

Curiously and coincidentally, I was thinking today about my short and long term goals. My next Ironman will be 2012, maybe 2013, depending on a few things. More focused on short term, I would like to break this plateau that I have been on for quite a while when it comes to running improvement.

The thing starts with my natural tendency to grow fast twitch fibers and heavy legs. I'll have to get rid of some muscle but probably loose some bike fitness. I like running a lot more than the bike so no probs here.

I'll try to break the 5K sub 20 mark before the year is over and I might run a full marathon at the end of the year or Houston early 2012. I doubt this will be my shot for Boston though. I haven't done a 5K in two full years though so I might break it first shot but I'll wait until the weather starts to cool down.

My new goal is to get FAST. I'll shorten the workouts for all three and focus a lot on FTP and strength (bike); and turnover, gait and weight to run faster. Pool time I'll just try to stay consistent. 

2011-05-23 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3514960

User image

Maple Grove, MN

evillarroel - 2011-05-23 9:12 PM

Chris,

I'll try to break the 5K sub 20 mark before the year is over and I might run a full marathon at the end of the year or Houston early 2012. I doubt this will be my shot for Boston though. I haven't done a 5K in two full years though so I might break it first shot but I'll wait until the weather starts to cool down.

My running partner wants us to attempt to break the 20 min 5 k next Monday (Memorial Day, 12 days before my Oly).  There's a race here in Minneapolis which is really fast, both in terms of terrain and competitors.  The field is so fast that if last year I had run exactly a 19:59 min 5k, I would have come in 14th out of 34, in my age group (45-49). A 19:59 in your age group (35-39) is, in fact,  worse than average for this race.  This is a big race for the short distance guys, because 20 min for any age group usually puts you FOP. 

My partner's theory is that running along fast runners makes you faster (I think he is correct).   I plan on two big bike rides Saturday and Sunday anyway.  Does this seem like a bad idea? 

(BTW, what is FTP?)

Chris

2011-05-23 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3514995

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Yes what is FTP and FOP? 

Also, Chris, how tight are the Vibrams supposed to fit.  I have lots of room in my smaller foot and my toes are moving around.  Feeling like I might get those blisters that Ernesto referred to a while back.

Thanks Ernesto, that Metroplex Sprint looks like fun.  So, I'm revising my training plan.

2011-05-23 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3513666

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I've opted to not do the race this weekend.  Ernesto recommended the Metroplex and it looks like fun and a good test for me.

I'm curious about the Tejas Triathlon.  You said it almost made you give up triathlons completely.  Why?

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-23 10:01 PM
2011-05-23 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3514792

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

My original goal was to finish in under 2 hrs but that might be pushing it..  But that is a goal I can't release just yet.  I have free range to train and nothing structured yet so putting in the long runs and tempos should be easy...

2011-05-23 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3515027

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jdiis - 2011-05-23 9:49 PM

Yes what is FTP and FOP? 

Also, Chris, how tight are the Vibrams supposed to fit.  I have lots of room in my smaller foot and my toes are moving around.  Feeling like I might get those blisters that Ernesto referred to a while back.

FOP:  front of pack.  (Also BOP, back of pack and MOP, middle of pack).

As for the Bikilas, your toes probably will move around a little.  What about the back when you tighten?  Do you fall out of the heel?  If not, then you are probably ok.

I do get blisters in my Bikilas, if I don't wear socks, but not in my sprints.  I get the blisters in the Bikilas along the side of my foot, the inside side where the foot curves in about halfway between my ankle bone and the tip of my big toe.  There is a seam there.  So when I run in the Bikilas I wear Injini toe socks and have no problems.  

I've switched to the sprints now that it is summer.  They are easier to get on anyway, which matters in transitions.  

2011-05-23 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

@Everyone, thanks for your compliments and I totally agree with Jackie, this group rocks and I'm also proud to be a part of it!

I'm also excited to read about everyone's goals, upcoming races and constant progress!

When I was going through my 1/2M yesterday, I thought about the group and a desire to share positive news, which helped push me during some of the tough moments of the race and give it my best.  @Chris, I had your recent great race with negative splits in mind along with Ernesto's advice about going easy at the beginning and pacing myself.  However, once the race started and I hit on-going hills along with the heat, there was no way I could keep my HR in check (even though I really tried) and ended up with an avg Heart Rate at 94% of max.  And yes, I now have my Maffetone book and will begin reading it this week.

@Ernesto, my next significant goals are completing my 1st 1/2 Ironman race on August 27 in Guatemala and then running my 1st marathon (Chicago) on October 9th.  I need your advice (others as well) in terms of finding a good 1/2 IM training plan and thoughts on adjusting the running portion of it to support my desire to do the marathon a little more than a month later.

Thanks,

Gabriel 

2011-05-24 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3514995

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-23 9:30 PM

evillarroel - 2011-05-23 9:12 PM

Chris,

My running partner wants us to attempt to break the 20 min 5 k next Monday (Memorial Day, 12 days before my Oly).  There's a race here in Minneapolis which is really fast, both in terms of terrain and competitors.  The field is so fast that if last year I had run exactly a 19:59 min 5k, I would have come in 14th out of 34, in my age group (45-49). A 19:59 in your age group (35-39) is, in fact,  worse than average for this race.  This is a big race for the short distance guys, because 20 min for any age group usually puts you FOP. 

My partner's theory is that running along fast runners makes you faster (I think he is correct).   I plan on two big bike rides Saturday and Sunday anyway.  Does this seem like a bad idea? 

(BTW, what is FTP?)

Chris

FTP is functional threshold power for the bike. It is basically the watts your legs can generate at lactate threshold. And yes, you're absolutely right, running with faster people will make you faster.Last time I ran with the Dallas Running Club for a season I got about 20 secs a mile faster in about five months.Shorten the ride on Saturday and ditch Sunday's if you wish to go fast Monday. You can't do it all without a cost. I would recommend though that you start focusing on the bike during the school recess. If you find a nice group and commit you will be a very well rounded triathlete by the end of summer.
2011-05-24 7:54 AM

User image

Regular

Ernesto, bike has been at a full-stop for last 8-10days due to travel and busy schedule but I am trying to keep on with spinning and running meanwhile.I think last Friday and Sunday were my better performing runs. HR wasn't spiking up and down, speed was slow but consistent and breaks were much fewer. I am not trying to be a speed monster but making 10k distance relatively easy.

Am I recording the runs properly on my Garmin FR? They are recorded as 1-lap since I am focusing on complete distance/time. I just comment the walk-breaks used. Should I be using distance/rest time splits?

Another question regarding my fitness... on Sunday's run I noticed, that recently my stopping point (i.e. requires me to lower the effort) has lowered in terms of HR. Few months ago, I could push to my HR to as high as 190+ but now it starts killing me if I go over 180. What does this mean?

2011-05-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3515155

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-05-23 11:30 PM

@Everyone, thanks for your compliments and I totally agree with Jackie, this group rocks and I'm also proud to be a part of it!

I'm also excited to read about everyone's goals, upcoming races and constant progress!

When I was going through my 1/2M yesterday, I thought about the group and a desire to share positive news, which helped push me during some of the tough moments of the race and give it my best.  @Chris, I had your recent great race with negative splits in mind along with Ernesto's advice about going easy at the beginning and pacing myself.  However, once the race started and I hit on-going hills along with the heat, there was no way I could keep my HR in check (even though I really tried) and ended up with an avg Heart Rate at 94% of max.  And yes, I now have my Maffetone book and will begin reading it this week.

@Ernesto, my next significant goals are completing my 1st 1/2 Ironman race on August 27 in Guatemala and then running my 1st marathon (Chicago) on October 9th.  I need your advice (others as well) in terms of finding a good 1/2 IM training plan and thoughts on adjusting the running portion of it to support my desire to do the marathon a little more than a month later.

Thanks,

Gabriel 

Gabe,

If you have iTunes I have found some incredibly nice training programs (for the self coached athlete) that Endurance Nation is publishing in the Podcasts section of the store. Coach Rich and Patrick are great at the Ironman and Half Ironman distance.

Those guys and Mark Allen Online are the best training programs I have found, they focus on putting meaningful work and getting return on investment, instead of raking in “junk” miles.

The good thing about the Endurance Nation programs is that they are free of charge and downloadable. Pay close attention to what they say and particularly to the Podcast called “the Basic Week” which is a template (that you can twitch) for endurance training.

AboutChicago, all you will have to do is lengthen your runs for base two weeks after your Half is done with.

2011-05-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3515778

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update. It's official. I signed up today for the Bigfoot Triathlon (sprint/clydesdale) Sunday June 26. My first although I've already signed up for the Chicago Tri in August. WooHoo! I hope it'll be as much fun as the training (mostly) has been. Swim 750m, Bike 13.1 miles and a 3.1 mile trail run. This is touted as "the beginner friendly race" for this area. Bib # 6221.

Bought my first wetsuit yesterday (Zoot fusion full sleeved) and hope to get out into Lake Michigan within the next week or so. Current water temp 54 degrees.

2011-05-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3515975

User image

Master
baurryman - 2011-05-24 11:03 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update. It's official. I signed up today for the Bigfoot Triathlon (sprint/clydesdale) Sunday June 26. My first although I've already signed up for the Chicago Tri in August. WooHoo! I hope it'll be as much fun as the training (mostly) has been. Swim 750m, Bike 13.1 miles and a 3.1 mile trail run. This is touted as "the beginner friendly race" for this area. Bib # 6221.

Bought my first wetsuit yesterday (Zoot fusion full sleeved) and hope to get out into Lake Michigan within the next week or so. Current water temp 54 degrees.

Awesome!  The first tri's of the season are this weekend here in Michigan I can only imagine how cold the lakes are given the cold spring we have had.

2011-05-24 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
baurryman - 2011-05-24 11:03 AM

Hi Everyone,

54 is pretty cold, but with the wetsuit and adrenaline you will be fine Barry! Practice putting it on and off - it can save you some time and frustration. Good luck there and have fun!

Edited by markz 2011-05-24 3:40 PM
2011-05-24 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3515307

User image

Maple Grove, MN
evillarroel - 2011-05-24 6:49 AM

Chris

..And yes, you're absolutely right, running with faster people will make you faster.Last time I ran with the Dallas Running Club for a season I got about 20 secs a mile faster in about five months.Shorten the ride on Saturday and ditch Sunday's if you wish to go fast Monday. You can't do it all without a cost. I would recommend though that you start focusing on the bike during the school recess. If you find a nice group and commit you will be a very well rounded triathlete by the end of summer.

Ernesto,

Your line above " You can't do it all without a cost" is hitting home.  I've been following the plan you laid out for me for my Olympic Tri in 2.5 weeks.  Today is run speed work day.  So my partner and I decided to see if we could run 5 consecutive 1k intervals (with 2 minute rests in between) at just under the 20 min pace, or 3:55 min per kilometer.  I basically failed (as I have been recently on intervals).  Did the first two, but just gave up on the third.  Just not enough gas left in the tank.  (It's all in my training log).

I think what I have learned is that going from a 21 to a 20 minute 5k isn't a simple matter of having a good day, or picking a good race, or any other small thing.   I had this as a long term goal, not a short term goal, probably for a good reason.  

So rather than screw up a good training plan for the oly (which emphasized bike training) by running the 5k, I'm going to skip the 5k and stay on plan for the tri.   Like you said, you can't do everything without cost.  I'm already focused on two things: long running races and tri's.   It's probably just stupid to focus on three.  

2011-05-24 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3515049

User image

Houston, Texas
jdiis - 2011-05-23 10:00 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I've opted to not do the race this weekend.  Ernesto recommended the Metroplex and it looks like fun and a good test for me.

I'm curious about the Tejas Triathlon.  You said it almost made you give up triathlons completely.  Why?

OK, sorry for the long post, but you asked!   

Last year was my first tri ever, and I trained non-stop from December 09 to the event in April.  However, the night before the race, a huge windstorm blew through Galveston and by morning the bay was far too choppy to swim.  So, the event turned into a duathlon with just a bike and a run.  I finished pretty happy with my performance.  I was excited about triathlons and the huge change it had made in my life, and I wanted to keep going.  Remember, I've never been an athlete, so this was all very new to me.  Plus, not doing the swim seemed kind of like a cop-out.

So I signed up for Tejas at the beginning of June.  I had never done an OWS before, but felt like I could navigate it OK since I was regularly doing the distance in the pool.  My plan was to swim 10 strokes breathing on one side, sight, then 10 on the other side, sight again, etc.  While breathing on the right, I was fine because being on the outside, I had the pack and the buoys to my right.  When breathing on my left, all I could see was the shoreline.  I swam the planned strokes, then looked up to sight, and was face to face with a kayak.  The guy was waving me back to the course.  In 10 short strokes I had done nearly a 90 degree turn and was way off.  I blew a lot of energy getting back on course, and the rest went downhill from there.

During the swim I kept thinking, "why am I doing so poorly, I should be better than this."  I exited panicky and out of breath.  Then during the bike, with everyone passing me, including the next two heats, my morale utterly caved in.  Every time someone said, "on your left," I mentally said, "yeah, you and everyone else."  It was pathetic.  I even knew that the mental part was killing me, but I couldn't snap myself out of it.  By the time I returned from the bike segment, they were collecting the cones from the beginning of the course and I thought, "holy cow, I'm going to be dead last."

I could barely run and walked quite a bit.  I kept thinking over and over, "you're not meant to do this.  This is for actual athletes, not you.  You were foolish to think you could do this."  Etc. ad nauseum.  Had I finished in that state of mind, I wouldn't be doing this today.  However, something happened right at the end that changed all that.

I was determined not to embarrass my family by walking, so I came running around the last bridge toward the finish line.  My daughter was there with Grandma, my wife was taking pictures, and suddenly I saw my 6 year old son running along beside me.  He looked up at me with such an expression of pride and admiration, it totally blew away every negative thought I had.  It suddenly didn't matter if I was dead last, I still completed something that most people don't even try, and there was at least one little kid who was proud of me.

I know, it's kind of dorky.  Most athletes probably come to the realization that it's all a matter of perspective sooner or later, but I just had never considered it that way.  I think that experience will stay with me for a long, long time.  Like I said, my wife was taking pictures of the whole thing, which I've finally put in my album here on BT.  I think you guys can see it if you want to.

So it's kind of a big deal for me to skip this race as you suggest, Ernesto.  I'm still thinking about it.  It makes sense physically, but it's the mental challenge I was looking forward to conquering.  But now as I'm writing this I wonder if that's all that important after all, given the larger goal of better health, better speed and eventually longer races.  Like I said, I'm still thinking about it.

Mike

2011-05-24 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Just a quick update. It's official. I signed up today for the Bigfoot Triathlon (sprint/clydesdale) Sunday June 26. My first although I've already signed up for the Chicago Tri in August. WooHoo! I hope it'll be as much fun as the training (mostly) has been. Swim 750m, Bike 13.1 miles and a 3.1 mile trail run. This is touted as "the beginner friendly race" for this area. Bib # 6221.

Congrats on signing up for your first Tri!!!!

I finally went out and did a run.  First since the 14th Tri and 15th 5k races.  I had several issues starting out and ended up stopping the watch and just walking to the Beach (about a half a mile).  I was trying to get the HR monitor to read but I still haven't figures it out.  Scott bought me a new Garmin watch..405 and this was the second time I've been unable to get the monitor function to work.  Not sure if it's the watch or the monitor itself, or me!  Last wed I purchased new shoes.  Same brand and make as my old ones since the wear on the bottom was even.  I guess the change affected me harder than I thought!  I started getting a tightness and pull in the back of my right knee.  at about mile 4 I stopped the watch again to determine if I was hurt or injured...I determined it was something to push through so I did.  I also ran with a fuel belt for the first time.  I had to stop when I tried to get the water on and off so again I stopped the watch so I could try to maintain a moving pace.  I ended up running 8.19 miles (actually run time) at a moving pace of 9:48.  again I did stop the watch a few time to adjust equipment and the like.  It's in my log with the garmin link.  Again the half is in 3 weeks and I really want to be in at 2hours or less....

Here are my splits: 9:39, 9:44, 9:44, 9:31, 10:08, 9:42, 10:09, 10:36, 2:03...   Mile 8 is a hill back off the beach....It was this area that I walked when I was heading to the beach while trying to get the monitor to work!

2011-05-24 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3465640

User image

Subject: RE: Mentor Program
hi Ernesto...long time....busy...buthere I am....with a question. The race is on june 12, I have not train as I did in the past. Is there a way to test myself to make sure I can do it? Today I swam 1,050 in 45 mins, some breaks, but I am extremelly slow.....100m in 4:55....
2011-05-24 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3516915

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Mentor Program

yubi - 2011-05-24 7:16 PM hi Ernesto...long time....busy...buthere I am....with a question. The race is on june 12, I have not train as I did in the past. Is there a way to test myself to make sure I can do it? Today I swam 1,050 in 45 mins, some breaks, but I am extremelly slow.....100m in 4:55....
I'm gonna put it simple: if you race in those conditions, you're gonna set yourself up for failure and you'll probably abandon the sport. Just let it go and get ready for it if you find the time to train (I mean a different race).

Sorry for being so blunt, just trying to spare you from worse realization on race day...

2011-05-24 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3516820

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-24 5:51 PM

Just a quick update. It's official. I signed up today for the Bigfoot Triathlon (sprint/clydesdale) Sunday June 26. My first although I've already signed up for the Chicago Tri in August. WooHoo! I hope it'll be as much fun as the training (mostly) has been. Swim 750m, Bike 13.1 miles and a 3.1 mile trail run. This is touted as "the beginner friendly race" for this area. Bib # 6221.

Congrats on signing up for your first Tri!!!!

I finally went out and did a run.  First since the 14th Tri and 15th 5k races.  I had several issues starting out and ended up stopping the watch and just walking to the Beach (about a half a mile).  I was trying to get the HR monitor to read but I still haven't figures it out.  Scott bought me a new Garmin watch..405 and this was the second time I've been unable to get the monitor function to work.  Not sure if it's the watch or the monitor itself, or me!  Last wed I purchased new shoes.  Same brand and make as my old ones since the wear on the bottom was even.  I guess the change affected me harder than I thought!  I started getting a tightness and pull in the back of my right knee.  at about mile 4 I stopped the watch again to determine if I was hurt or injured...I determined it was something to push through so I did.  I also ran with a fuel belt for the first time.  I had to stop when I tried to get the water on and off so again I stopped the watch so I could try to maintain a moving pace.  I ended up running 8.19 miles (actually run time) at a moving pace of 9:48.  again I did stop the watch a few time to adjust equipment and the like.  It's in my log with the garmin link.  Again the half is in 3 weeks and I really want to be in at 2hours or less....

Here are my splits: 9:39, 9:44, 9:44, 9:31, 10:08, 9:42, 10:09, 10:36, 2:03...   Mile 8 is a hill back off the beach....It was this area that I walked when I was heading to the beach while trying to get the monitor to work!

You'll be fine,but start your long runs easier and build.

Call the Garmin CS about the strap, that info is VITAL

2011-05-24 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3516620

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-24 3:53 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-24 6:49 AM

Chris

..And yes, you're absolutely right, running with faster people will make you faster.Last time I ran with the Dallas Running Club for a season I got about 20 secs a mile faster in about five months.Shorten the ride on Saturday and ditch Sunday's if you wish to go fast Monday. You can't do it all without a cost. I would recommend though that you start focusing on the bike during the school recess. If you find a nice group and commit you will be a very well rounded triathlete by the end of summer.

Ernesto,

Your line above " You can't do it all without a cost" is hitting home.  I've been following the plan you laid out for me for my Olympic Tri in 2.5 weeks.  Today is run speed work day.  So my partner and I decided to see if we could run 5 consecutive 1k intervals (with 2 minute rests in between) at just under the 20 min pace, or 3:55 min per kilometer.  I basically failed (as I have been recently on intervals).  Did the first two, but just gave up on the third.  Just not enough gas left in the tank.  (It's all in my training log).

I think what I have learned is that going from a 21 to a 20 minute 5k isn't a simple matter of having a good day, or picking a good race, or any other small thing.   I had this as a long term goal, not a short term goal, probably for a good reason.  

So rather than screw up a good training plan for the oly (which emphasized bike training) by running the 5k, I'm going to skip the 5k and stay on plan for the tri.   Like you said, you can't do everything without cost.  I'm already focused on two things: long running races and tri's.   It's probably just stupid to focus on three.  

[/QUOTChris,

The way you run and train makes obvious the fact that you are driven and eager, just utilize that energy wisely and focus it towards the right things. Too big a bite will lead to injury or burnout. Yourbody has to be given the time to absorb the workouts.

You don't get faster WHILE you're running, swimming or cycling. You get faster on the couch watching TV or sleeping while RECOVERING from those workouts. Give yourself time, take at least one day off a week and unplug.

If you want to eat an elephant, do it one piece at a time, right?

2011-05-24 11:34 PM
in reply to: #3515428

User image

Regular
ironbaby - 2011-05-24 8:54 AM

Ernesto, bike has been at a full-stop for last 8-10days due to travel and busy schedule but I am trying to keep on with spinning and running meanwhile.I think last Friday and Sunday were my better performing runs. HR wasn't spiking up and down, speed was slow but consistent and breaks were much fewer. I am not trying to be a speed monster but making 10k distance relatively easy.

Am I recording the runs properly on my Garmin FR? They are recorded as 1-lap since I am focusing on complete distance/time. I just comment the walk-breaks used. Should I be using distance/rest time splits?

Another question regarding my fitness... on Sunday's run I noticed, that recently my stopping point (i.e. requires me to lower the effort) has lowered in terms of HR. Few months ago, I could push to my HR to as high as 190+ but now it starts killing me if I go over 180. What does this mean?

Just quoting myself incase you missed it among the barrage of other posts... Any bits on the HR bit (that why I can't push it as high as before)? Just curious if its for good or worse.

Did a 15mi-bike+3.1mi-jog this evening. Bike was effortless but run was tiring from the beginning. I have time/distance/Hr on the training logs as I remember but unfortunately a technological mishap wiped out today's data before it could be uploaded.

2011-05-25 4:31 AM
in reply to: #3517246

User image

Master
ironbaby - 2011-05-24 11:34 PM

Just quoting myself incase you missed it among the barrage of other posts... Any bits on the HR bit (that why I can't push it as high as before)? Just curious if its for good or worse.

Did a 15mi-bike+3.1mi-jog this evening. Bike was effortless but run was tiring from the beginning. I have time/distance/Hr on the training logs as I remember but unfortunately a technological mishap wiped out today's data before it could be uploaded.

Are you maybe just fatigued?  When I did my last cycling test for the winter cycling program I did I could not get my HR to what I knew was a threshold level.  I had improved but my length endurance was an issue.  I was tired and needed a couple days off.  Maybe you ramped up a bit quickly and your body is telling you to back off for a few days?

2011-05-25 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3517246

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-05-24 11:34 PM

Your HR not going as high as it used to is called fitness. Max HR nominally doesn't change but in reality it becomes outrageously hard to reach after a while. I could not go to 183 for my life now and a couple of years ago that was my race pace HR in a 5k.
2011-05-25 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3517296

User image

Regular
dangremond - 2011-05-25 5:31 AM

Are you maybe just fatigued?  When I did my last cycling test for the winter cycling program I did I could not get my HR to what I knew was a threshold level.  I had improved but my length endurance was an issue.  I was tired and needed a couple days off.  Maybe you ramped up a bit quickly and your body is telling you to back off for a few days?

I didn't think about the fatigue. You are probably half-right about it... not been sleeping enough this week and did not eat anything between ride-run. I assumed nutrition won't be required during transitioning between such short distance.

As for length endurance, I have done longer rides/runs before. Hopefully that wasn't the case.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84