of 67

2011-05-21 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3511294

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - FULL

Hi Linda! 

7 minutes faster???  That's almost a 20% improvement!  Very impressive!  =)

Thanks for sharing your new avatar with us.  Sorry to hear about your Jeep.  =(

~Roland

2011-05-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3439366

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Today's workout:

Training Week 4 - Recovery - Day 6

• Warmed up with "Sweet Spot" drills @ 200
  • Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

Awww, last day of recovery week... ^_^  I'm actually excited to go back to higher volume workouts in 2nd month base phase. 

I felt more in tune with the water today as my lap times improved and SPL stayed at 18 the whole time.  Woot!  HR sensor kept sliding downward and came off once again.  >.<  Did some flip turn practice for 5-10 minutes after 750.  Was able to push off into freestyle successfully 3 times. =)

~Roland
2011-05-22 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
tashia153 - 2011-05-21 12:57 PM

First off, everlong are you doing ok?  Or are you stiff and hobbling around like a (battered and bruised) old man?

Second of all, I raced my 5K today with a time of 29:52 which is 7 minutes faster than last year.  I placed myself to far back at the start.  In a normal race I think I would have been in the right area but this was a different kind of race since there were walkers right up behind the first row of racers.  So, first problem was getting around all of the walkers, jumping the curb into long wet grass and back on the road.  Next, although it was chip timed there wasn't a pad at the start line.  Weird huh?  But I had my watch so that was good enough for me. And last, I really don't believe they had the mile markers set right.  I went out pretty slow and was 9:20 at the first mile.  This was after almost walking trying to wriggle around people, jumping curbs and running in the long wet grass.  The 2 mile marker I was at 17:56 and then the last mile was like really long and I was running faster than the first mile but my total time makes me look like it was slower.  Anyway, happy with the overall time and also now I have an avatar so all you youngsters can see what the old lady in the group looks like.

It's raining here and we are going shopping for a vehicle for my.  Piston blew in my jeep but that baby had 188,000 on it and I really loved it.  With 3 still in college this is really going to put a stop to any left over cash flow that I had.  Such is life!

Linda

Absolutely amazing Linda! I knew you would kill it. Sorry to hear about the jeep. Stay positive!
2011-05-22 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3511454

User image

Expert
everlong - 2011-05-21 4:05 PM

First off, everlong are you doing ok?  Or are you stiff and hobbling around like a (battered and bruised) old man?

Second of all, I raced my 5K today with a time of 29:52 which is 7 minutes faster than last year.

Great job Linda. That's some serious improvement.

Thanks, I'm doing ok. The side delt is sore and it should be absorbing most of the fall. Elbow is also tender but not as bad as expected. My side by the oblique is also a little sore which I didn't expect but it's not shocking either. More than likely I'll do a short ride tomorrow and a run on Monday. Tuesday's swim is the one I'm not certain about. It's the upper body that got rocked.

[/QUOT]take your time man, nothing wrong with taking some time off.
2011-05-22 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3511717

User image

Expert
kloofyroland - 2011-05-21 8:41 PM

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

Awww, last day of recovery week... ^_^  I'm actually excited to go back to higher volume workouts in 2nd month base phase. 

I felt more in tune with the water today as my lap times improved and SPL stayed at 18 the whole time.  Woot!  HR sensor kept sliding downward and came off once again.  >.<  Did some flip turn practice for 5-10 minutes after 750.  Was able to push off into freestyle successfully 3 times. =)

~Roland
Great job man, you'll get better quick just push your body. How many hours this week?
2011-05-22 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3512004

User image

Expert

shellback1998 - 2011-05-22 7:03 AM

take your time man, nothing wrong with taking some time off.

So much easier said than done! Honestly I took yesterday off worried about my back and side which today feel ok. My legs really haven't felt more than normal soreness. So I don't think riding or running will be bad for me. If today was swimming on the other hand I really would take the day off. I'm still not sure I'll swim on Tuesday. My left should still has a pretty good Charlie horse from the impact.

2011-05-22 9:05 AM

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia

Second of all, I raced my 5K today with a time of 29:52 which is 7 minutes faster than last year.  I placed myself to far back at the start.  In a normal race I think I would have been in the right area but this was a different kind of race since there were walkers right up behind the first row of racers.  So, first problem was getting around all of the walkers, jumping the curb into long wet grass and back on the road.  Next, although it was chip timed there wasn't a pad at the start line.  Weird huh?  But I had my watch so that was good enough for me. And last, I really don't believe they had the mile markers set right.  I went out pretty slow and was 9:20 at the first mile.  This was after almost walking trying to wriggle around people, jumping curbs and running in the long wet grass.  The 2 mile marker I was at 17:56 and then the last mile was like really long and I was running fastert than the first mile but my total time makes me look like it was slower.  Anyway, happy with the overall time and also now I have an avatar so all you youngsters can see what the old lady in the group looks like.

It's raining here and we are going shopping for a vehicle for my.  Piston blew in my jeep but that baby had 188,000 on it and I really loved it.  With 3 still in college this is really going to put a stop to any left over cash flow that I had.  Such is life!

Linda

Way to rock it out Linda! That's an awesome improvement! Good luck finding a new car - sorry to hear about the jeep.
2011-05-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3512005

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

shellback1998 - 2011-05-22 4:06 AM

Great job man, you'll get better quick just push your body. How many hours this week?

Yep!  I'm excited about the advantages of using the flip turn!  This week's schedule consists of a total of about 5.5 hours of cycling, swimming, running and another 1-2 hours of strength training and stretching.  =)

@Scott, about strength training, I don't have any equipment at home and no gym membership, what suggestions do you have that I can do?  I was thinking various types of pushups, pullups, crunches, squats...

~Roland

2011-05-22 1:24 PM

User image

It's my recovery week!!!!!!!!!! 

Scott - I'm looking for advice on my training plans for the next 2 weeks. How does this look:

Recovery week: Run - still do 3 workouts of no more than 3.5 miles (my usual distance) but with a strong focus on keeping my heart rate in upper zone 2. This will be hard for me because I grit my teeth every time I have to slow down to get the heart rate down.  Bike - still do 3 workouts, ride no more than 14 miles but again with focus on keeping heart rate in upper zone 2/lower zone 3.  Swim - do 4-5 workouts (have extra days off from work) continue to build endurance and technique, begin with warmup, do TI drills as long as necessary to get it down, finish with laps focusing on techniques practiced.  About 1200 meters total.  Plan to do a time trial on Tuesday for 1/4 mile.  This is mental more than anything else to embed in my brain that I can do this distance.

Build Week 1: Run - 3 workouts/week, never 2 days in a row, never more than 10% weekly increase but begin to add in a 5 mile run once per week this week and each future week, with plans to do some intervals following week.  I seem to recover well, but have no speed.  Bike - 3 workouts/week, so far my focus has totally been on distance and feel I've got that for the sprint distance. 1)Hill work with controlled effort using small gears, stay smooth, stay seated, 4x 1 minute on good grade hill (Jen if you are reading this read highlands monster hills), of course doing a good (10 mn) warm up and cool down (15 or more) Feel my legs are now strong enough for this.  2) The long ride: 60+ minutes in zone 2 (will love this day). 3) Cadence work: warm-up 10mns, Do this x10: R pedal (15 sec), Both (45 sec), L pedal (15 sec), Both (45 sec).  Focus on pedal stroke being smooth entire time, use small chain ring at about 80-90 rpm. Swim - same as previous week.

The sprint tri I'm doing is flat but I think the hills will add something to my biking.

Everlong - I wanted to tell you I bought a Saab just to goad you alittle but it looks like Monday we will be getting a Sorento, a brand new one since they actually will give me $1000 just for proof of being a jeep owner (a jeep that doesn't run), ha and the interest rates made the monthly payments cheaper than used.  New experience for me.

And last, two updates....I was 3rd in my age group...suprise but again a different kind of race to be sure.  (I put myself in the bottom 25% of my age group for the sprint but that is a different kind of racer that does that to be sure).  And I was beat (by alot) by a 70 year old women.  I thought YOU GO GIRL, but then that didn't count because she wasn't in my age group!

Linda

2011-05-22 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well went for a couple of 4 mile  hilly runs this weekend at my parents. they have awesome paths to jog on. Wasn't scheduled for a run today but...went with a friend who runs like a damn gazelle. Depending on my son's lacrosse schedule, i am planning on a bike ride tomorrow.(long weekend in Canada).

Found a couple of sprint races nearby, june 12 and june 19. One in the pool one in a lake. leaning towards lake race to get the bugs out and see how training for olympic is going...

Worried I might crush myself mentally for the Olympic a month later... 

Will keep you up to date!

Cheers!

2011-05-22 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3512371

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2011-05-22 3:20 PM

Well went for a couple of 4 mile  hilly runs this weekend at my parents. they have awesome paths to jog on. Wasn't scheduled for a run today but...went with a friend who runs like a damn gazelle. Depending on my son's lacrosse schedule, i am planning on a bike ride tomorrow.(long weekend in Canada).

Found a couple of sprint races nearby, june 12 and june 19. One in the pool one in a lake. leaning towards lake race to get the bugs out and see how training for olympic is going...

Worried I might crush myself mentally for the Olympic a month later... 

Will keep you up to date!

Cheers!

I think it's a great idea to both if you can handle it. Pool swim will be good as well. Get to test the bike and run and see how you are with those as well. The lake swim, will be a great open water experience for you. I definitely suggest you doing this one. Just to get the fair of OWS out of the equation. You'll do great with both. Pool swims are good as you go by a time. 

2011-05-22 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3512314

User image

Expert

Looks pretty good Linda. Once again congrats on your 5k, that is totally solid.

Scott

tashia153 - 2011-05-22 2:24 PM

It's my recovery week!!!!!!!!!! 

Scott - I'm looking for advice on my training plans for the next 2 weeks. How does this look:

Recovery week: Run - still do 3 workouts of no more than 3.5 miles (my usual distance) but with a strong focus on keeping my heart rate in upper zone 2. This will be hard for me because I grit my teeth every time I have to slow down to get the heart rate down.  Bike - still do 3 workouts, ride no more than 14 miles but again with focus on keeping heart rate in upper zone 2/lower zone 3.  Swim - do 4-5 workouts (have extra days off from work) continue to build endurance and technique, begin with warmup, do TI drills as long as necessary to get it down, finish with laps focusing on techniques practiced.  About 1200 meters total.  Plan to do a time trial on Tuesday for 1/4 mile.  This is mental more than anything else to embed in my brain that I can do this distance.

Build Week 1: Run - 3 workouts/week, never 2 days in a row, never more than 10% weekly increase but begin to add in a 5 mile run once per week this week and each future week, with plans to do some intervals following week.  I seem to recover well, but have no speed.  Bike - 3 workouts/week, so far my focus has totally been on distance and feel I've got that for the sprint distance. 1)Hill work with controlled effort using small gears, stay smooth, stay seated, 4x 1 minute on good grade hill (Jen if you are reading this read highlands monster hills), of course doing a good (10 mn) warm up and cool down (15 or more) Feel my legs are now strong enough for this.  2) The long ride: 60+ minutes in zone 2 (will love this day). 3) Cadence work: warm-up 10mns, Do this x10: R pedal (15 sec), Both (45 sec), L pedal (15 sec), Both (45 sec).  Focus on pedal stroke being smooth entire time, use small chain ring at about 80-90 rpm. Swim - same as previous week.

The sprint tri I'm doing is flat but I think the hills will add something to my biking.

Everlong - I wanted to tell you I bought a Saab just to goad you alittle but it looks like Monday we will be getting a Sorento, a brand new one since they actually will give me $1000 just for proof of being a jeep owner (a jeep that doesn't run), ha and the interest rates made the monthly payments cheaper than used.  New experience for me.

And last, two updates....I was 3rd in my age group...suprise but again a different kind of race to be sure.  (I put myself in the bottom 25% of my age group for the sprint but that is a different kind of racer that does that to be sure).  And I was beat (by alot) by a 70 year old women.  I thought YOU GO GIRL, but then that didn't count because she wasn't in my age group!

Linda

2011-05-22 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3512314

User image

Expert
tashia153 - 2011-05-22 2:24 PM

Big shopping gap between a Saab and a Kia. $1000 is a lot of gear! And now I can still like you. Wink

I did end up taking a second day off. Haven't had two off in a row in a bit so hopefully tomorrow I feel some of that.

2011-05-22 5:41 PM

Regular

What an awesome run Linda!  Congratulations.  

Keep that up and you'll definitely smoke me in the run. 

Today is my day of rest.  I actually had a party (for my boyfriend's birthday) last night and it was my first time drinking in over a month (since I had quit smoking) and I made it, I didn't have a cigarette.  So I was definitely happy with that. 

2011-05-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3511717

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

~Roland
"be the water" Roland! I've tried flip turns, but only when I know nobody is watching . Tried one on Friday when I was doing my sprints and I bounced off the bottom, and was thinking some very colorful language as I finished that lap, LOL!
2011-05-22 7:31 PM

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia
Did a 40 min tempo run yesterday. 10 min in Z1/2, then kicked up to mid Z3 with peaks to the top of my Z4, then 10 mins in Z2. Felt good to speed it up some. I was ready to stop at the end, but felt like I could have kept going. Don't know how far I went because I didn't buy the GARMIN . I know I finished a 5k, hilly, cross country race route, then maybe another mile or so. Then I replaced the French doors on the back of my house and knocked some other "honey-do's" off the list, yay!Did a whopping 3.4 mile bike ride this am. I overslept and that's all I had time for befor church and family stuff! New week starts tomorrow: weights in the am, bike in the pm - looking forward to trying a road bike my brother lent me....man those tires are skinny . Wish ya'll a good week!

2011-05-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3512696

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
scout142 - 2011-05-22 5:57 PM

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

I felt more in tune with the water today as my lap times improved and SPL stayed at 18 the whole time.  Woot!  HR sensor kept sliding downward and came off once again.  >.~Roland

"be the water" Roland! I've tried flip turns, but only when I know nobody is watching . Tried one on Friday when I was doing my sprints and I bounced off the bottom, and was thinking some very colorful language as I finished that lap, LOL!

Stupid question but are you allowed to do tumbleturns in swimming??

2011-05-23 2:55 AM
in reply to: #3509945

User image

Iowa
kloofyroland - 2011-05-20 11:03 AM

jimyak - 2011-05-20 6:15 AM I am able to start working out now, I'll just start slow and easy for a week or so.

Good to hear that Jimyak!  What are your workout plans for this weekend? =)

~Roland

Startng today (Mon) with a short run. I have the garmin 305 with HRM which I got from Ebay a few months ago. I paid about $90. I have been afraid of the HRM because I am sure I am overtraining for my age and fitness level but I will have more information of just where I am in my training.

Jim

2011-05-23 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3512589

User image

Expert
jenajoy22 - 2011-05-22 6:41 PM

What an awesome run Linda!  Congratulations.  

Keep that up and you'll definitely smoke me in the run. 

Today is my day of rest.  I actually had a party (for my boyfriend's birthday) last night and it was my first time drinking in over a month (since I had quit smoking) and I made it, I didn't have a cigarette.  So I was definitely happy with that. 

Yay! Good job, that's a pretty good accomplishment in itself. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you against Linda ...   I'm sure you're lungs appreciate the fresh air as well. Happy training!

2011-05-23 5:31 AM
in reply to: #3512895

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2011-05-22 10:10 PM

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

I felt more in tune with the water today as my lap times improved and SPL stayed at 18 the whole time.  Woot!  HR sensor kept sliding downward and came off once again.  >.~Roland

You can do anything you want... Flip turns are good, but unless you're competing in a masters swim meet you really don't need them. The time it takes you to flip, and turn and then breath is normally longer than you want to do anyway. You don't want to become oxygen depleted, hit the wall breath turn is usually the way to go

Scott

2011-05-23 5:34 AM
in reply to: #3512752

User image

Expert

scout142 - 2011-05-22 8:31 PM Did a 40 min tempo run yesterday. 10 min in Z1/2, then kicked up to mid Z3 with peaks to the top of my Z4, then 10 mins in Z2. Felt good to speed it up some. I was ready to stop at the end, but felt like I could have kept going. Don't know how far I went because I didn't buy the GARMIN . I know I finished a 5k, hilly, cross country race route, then maybe another mile or so. Then I replaced the French doors on the back of my house and knocked some other "honey-do's" off the list, yay!Did a whopping 3.4 mile bike ride this am. I overslept and that's all I had time for befor church and family stuff! New week starts tomorrow: weights in the am, bike in the pm - looking forward to trying a road bike my brother lent me....man those tires are skinny . Wish ya'll a good week!

Good for you, sounds like you are making some progress on the run. Great job! Biking, wow a whole 3.4 miles.. But at least you got out there.  Remember, my coach always tells me if I have an appointment or something in which I can't make. To always make the volume up in the Bike, not the run. So, keep that in mind. Have a great day/week of training

Scott

2011-05-23 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3512696

User image

Expert
scout142 - 2011-05-22 7:57 PM

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

~Roland

And no-one taped this masterpiece

2011-05-23 5:37 AM
in reply to: #3512246

User image

Expert
kloofyroland - 2011-05-22 1:16 PM

shellback1998 - 2011-05-22 4:06 AM

Yep!  I'm excited about the advantages of using the flip turn!  This week's schedule consists of a total of about 5.5 hours of cycling, swimming, running and another 1-2 hours of strength training and stretching.  =)

@Scott, about strength training, I don't have any equipment at home and no gym membership, what suggestions do you have that I can do?  I was thinking various types of pushups, pullups, crunches, squats...

~Roland

Do some pull ups, one leg squats, buy some stretch cords.  Do yoga, planks sit ups, bicycle crunches

Scott

2011-05-23 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3512895

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

I dunno.  I do know they have limited value in an OWS, but they look cool when you're not bouncing off the bottom or flailing around like I do  

2011-05-23 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3513106

User image

Expert
scout142 - 2011-05-23 6:58 AM

Today's workout:

• Slow freestyle @ 100
  • M/S > Z2 750
  • 18SPL yay!

I dunno.  I do know they have limited value in an OWS, but they look cool when you're not bouncing off the bottom or flailing around like I do  

That is true!  I'm guessing you hit the bottom on the shallow end, if you are on the deep end we have bigger problems. 

lol

Scott

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67