BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2012-01-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4003310

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: bigDH's accountability training -- closed -- good luck out there!

BigDH - 2012-01-21 1:36 PM Forecast was for 0 c this afternoon. Ha. Liars . Currently -14 Ahhhhhhhhhhh. So tired of the cold.

Gross!

2012-01-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3996215

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2012-01-17 8:21 PM
SportzVision - 2012-01-18 1:58 AM

wu: 300 continuous. slowly increasing pace each 100
main: 20 x 50, odds at RPE 4, evens at RPE 9!
cd: 150 easy, hold form
B: solid 45 minutes at RPE3. 

This alone makes me cringe thinking about doing.  20x50?  That's rough. 

Way to go.  you're killing it.

Ya, ummm that RPE 9 for all 25 of those 50 laps...maybe not so much; but the distance is the goal and I may do a few laps at RPE 9.  My focus is elbows up, snap my wrist and fingers pointed to toes through the entire pull.   Speed will come after form...I hope!
2012-01-21 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4003402

User image

Champion
Calgary
SportzVision - 2012-01-21 1:46 PM

kevinbe - 2012-01-17 8:21 PM
SportzVision - 2012-01-18 1:58 AM

wu: 300 continuous. slowly increasing pace each 100
main: 20 x 50, odds at RPE 4, evens at RPE 9!
cd: 150 easy, hold form
B: solid 45 minutes at RPE3. 

This alone makes me cringe thinking about doing.  20x50?  That's rough. 

Way to go.  you're killing it.

Ya, ummm that RPE 9 for all 25 of those 50 laps...maybe not so much; but the distance is the goal and I may do a few laps at RPE 9.  My focus is elbows up, snap my wrist and fingers pointed to toes through the entire pull.   Speed will come after form...I hope!

wow that is a solid workout. Keep it up!
2012-01-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4000055

User image

Expert

Mel - Happy Birthday!  What a fantastic present!  What do you plan on using your degree for, Doctor?

Thanks!  The ultimate goal is to develop a program that alleviates some of the stress collegiate athletes feel as they are transitioning out of college, and most of them are "retiring" from their sport.  The NCAA has the Life Skills program but it is still lacking in areas such as how to leave behind your support system and create a new one; or how one's nutrition needs change after they stop working out 20+ hours a week; things like that, things that some of my teammates and I have struggled with after graduating.

Mel:  I went to Alabama for a year and spent some time tutoring some of the freshmen on the team.  I love the idea behind your plan and I think it is sorely needed.  College sports are becoming bigger and bigger and there is life after college.  I'm sure you will make a huge difference in helping to transition these kids to life after college.

2012-01-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4000699

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2012-01-19 9:23 PM

My wife and I are dropping kidlets off at friends and leaving town this weekend to celebrate her b-day.  To adjust for not working out this weekend, I had to rearange callender this week to get all workouts in.  Tomorrow will be my 9.5 mile long run outside in snow.  Love training through the winter.

I killed it on the spin bike this morning.  (that just sounds funny to me.)  I was riding like a 22.5 mile/hour pace over 1:35 minutes in gear 12-14,15.  I wish this would translate to my 10 speed on the road.  speaking of 10 speed, I've been drooling over the used bikes in the classified adds on this site.  I would give my left arm to upgrade.  I have a mid 90's Cannondale 10 speed.  pretty old technology for what's out there today.  I think it'll do for my HIM this summer, but can't wait to upgrade for following years IM.

Only lost .4 yesterday.  It's loss, and that's gain.  down to 191. 

Keep posting.

Mindy, Killer pool workout.  A couple of you guys' speed workouts in the pool make me crawl up into the fetal position.

Kevin - Enjoy the time without the kids - damn am I jeleous!  I know that .4 wasn't what you were hoping for but it will set you up for a big loss next week.  With workouts like the one you had on the bike - you will hit the 180s for sure.

DQ

2012-01-21 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4001419

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2012-01-20 10:08 AM

Well training is up in the air this week/weekend. Wife's Grandmother's funeral today/tomorrow. A large family so lots of eating and drinking today and tomorrow. Will try for a run this afternoon and maybe early tomorrow morning but time will tell as I am not driving this train. Brought my running gear and will see what shakes out!

Have a great  weekend everyone!

Best wishes to you and your family.  I hope you were able to get in at least something over the weekend.  Too bad they don't have a rink nearby : )

DQ

Edited by Qua17 2012-01-21 9:18 PM

2012-01-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3943114

User image

Expert

Well, I had a pretty good week.  It was the 3rd week in the month and I really tried to make it count before starting a recovery week next week.  I upped my time in the pool and the bike by almost an hour.  I also managed to break 25 miles on the bike and it felt good to get there even if it was on a trainer.  The work paid off with a nice weight loss for the week.  If I'm able to lose more 4 pounds - I will have lost the equivalent of what my daughter weighs... Time for some homebrew...

Who wins tomorrow?  My picks for the Superbowl - Pats vs. the 49ers.

DQ

2012-01-21 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4003878

User image

Qua17 - 2012-01-21 10:18 PM

Well, I had a pretty good week.  It was the 3rd week in the month and I really tried to make it count before starting a recovery week next week.  I upped my time in the pool and the bike by almost an hour.  I also managed to break 25 miles on the bike and it felt good to get there even if it was on a trainer.  The work paid off with a nice weight loss for the week.  If I'm able to lose more 4 pounds - I will have lost the equivalent of what my daughter weighs... Time for some homebrew...

DQ

I have no investment in the Super Bowl, but I think the Giants will be in there.

On the other hand, I skipped the weigh in this week... between the 2 birthday cakes (mine and my cousin's 1st), the half a dozen times eating out, the 6 hour car ride today, and the 3 days I didn't really workout I know I gained at least a pound if not more.

Tomorrow's plan is a long ride and then to get back into my schedule on monday. It's amazing how when I start eating right and then go back to eating out or processed food that my body reacts badly to it.

Edited by swimmindy 2012-01-21 10:21 PM
2012-01-22 8:30 AM

User image

kevinbe - 2012-01-19 4:23 AM

My wife and I are dropping kidlets off at friends and leaving town this weekend to celebrate her b-day.  To adjust for not working out this weekend, I had to rearange callender this week to get all workouts in.  Tomorrow will be my 9.5 mile long run outside in snow.  Love training through the winter.

I killed it on the spin bike this morning.  (that just sounds funny to me.)  I was riding like a 22.5 mile/hour pace over 1:35 minutes in gear 12-14,15.  I wish this would translate to my 10 speed on the road.  speaking of 10 speed, I've been drooling over the used bikes in the classified adds on this site.  I would give my left arm to upgrade.  I have a mid 90's Cannondale 10 speed.  pretty old technology for what's out there today.  I think it'll do for my HIM this summer, but can't wait to upgrade for following years IM.

Keep posting.

Mindy, Killer pool workout.  A couple of you guys' speed workouts in the pool make me crawl up into the fetal position.

you can get some great deals out there if you have the cash in hand to buy them quickly when they hit the market.  with the share a ride with cervelo lots of people upgrading bikes right now so watch the ads here and ST and pull the trigger as soon as what you want shows up.

2012-01-22 10:29 AM

User image

first 20 mile week to a close.  next week i am looking at 22 and i need to add in some hiking and some biking. 

Monday (work)  3 mile run

Tuesday (work) 4 mile run

Wed (work) -     hour trainer ride

Thurs                6 mile run

Friday               2 mile run and hike 5 miles

Sat                   4 mile run and trainer

Sunday             3 mile run and trainer

22 miles running (wogging)

5 mile hike (gotta get ready for the ozarks)

and 3 trainer rides... maybe 2.5 hours total.

hopefully that will bust me down a pound or so lol.... cant seem to get my weight loss in high gear. 

2012-01-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4004317

User image

Expert
rn86314 - 2012-01-22 10:29 AM

first 20 mile week to a close.  next week i am looking at 22 and i need to add in some hiking and some biking. 

hopefully that will bust me down a pound or so lol.... cant seem to get my weight loss in high gear. 

Congrats on the 20 mile week and good luck making it to 22.  Its great to add distance but be sure to fit in a rest day from time to time to let those muscles repair themselves.  

Have a great week!

2012-01-22 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4003878

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2012-01-21 9:18 PM

DQ

Great job on breaking the 25 mile barrier!
2012-01-22 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

That's some crazy miles!  Nice!
2012-01-22 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Did 2450 yards in the pool yesterday, two workouts in one session.  

Swimming is getting a lot easier but I still lack the speed.  I guess it will come around some day. Another swim day for me and on the trainer tonight. 

Funny story, my middlest daughter plays basketball in Fl and always calls after a game, good or bad she calls.  Yesterday was not good, they lost.  Her words and voice conveyed how frustrated she was with her own defensive playing. She is a 5'8" post player and when they are 6' + it can be hard.  She went on and on about her lack of defense and we discussed what she needs to do...talk to coach for more tips, foot work, plyo, yatta yatta...as we are starting to say our goodbyes she does give me one more stat, "Well", she says,"I did score 24 pts."!    I just laughed so hard.  She is as tough as nails and no one is ever going to be tougher on her.

This is the kid who tells me to stop being a mental midget, be tough, push harder....she must get this from her father! Love when my girls teach me something especially mental toughness.

Edited by SportzVision 2012-01-22 3:47 PM
2012-01-22 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

After reading a thread about time comittment for Long course training on this site, I took the advice of posters and asked wife what she felt about me doing full IM next year. 

After a good conversation, we agreed that it would be wiser to wait until my schooling (MA in Spec. ED.) is completed.  With School, work, training, hockey coaching and playing rec. league, and wife and 2 kids, life is busy.

We decided that it would be good to continue to train HIM's this year and next, and go for IM in 2014.  There are a lot of benefits I see to this as it will give me ample time to get better at Swim, Bike and Run. 

Tough loss by Ravens today.  Hope to see big Blue pull it out in evening game. 

Had a great time celebrating wifes B-Day.  She is my inspiration and best friend.  105 lbs. lost so far.  She's 15 lbs. away from her goal. 

2012-01-23 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4004579

User image

Qua17 - 2012-01-21 8:57 PM

Wed (work) -     hour trainer ride Rest day

Friday               2 mile run and hike 5 miles Bike ride with friends

Sunday             3 mile run and trainer  Hike 5 miles

Congrats on the 20 mile week and good luck making it to 22.  Its great to add distance but be sure to fit in a rest day from time to time to let those muscles repair themselves.  

Have a great week!

couple fixes to the schedule

2012-01-23 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4004711

User image

Champion
Calgary
SportzVision - 2012-01-22 2:47 PM

Did 2450 yards in the pool yesterday, two workouts in one session.  

Swimming is getting a lot easier but I still lack the speed.  I guess it will come around some day. Another swim day for me and on the trainer tonight. 

Funny story, my middlest daughter plays basketball in Fl and always calls after a game, good or bad she calls.  Yesterday was not good, they lost.  Her words and voice conveyed how frustrated she was with her own defensive playing. She is a 5'8" post player and when they are 6' + it can be hard.  She went on and on about her lack of defense and we discussed what she needs to do...talk to coach for more tips, foot work, plyo, yatta yatta...as we are starting to say our goodbyes she does give me one more stat, "Well", she says,"I did score 24 pts."!    I just laughed so hard.  She is as tough as nails and no one is ever going to be tougher on her.

This is the kid who tells me to stop being a mental midget, be tough, push harder....she must get this from her father! Love when my girls teach me something especially mental toughness.

that is a great story about your daughter. I got this feeling that if you raise your kids right they start to raise you.

nice workout too.
2012-01-23 8:20 AM

Today marks the start day of my 20 week HIM training. I really looking forward to the challenge but still trying to figure out how to make all those trainer hours more fun. Kind of weird to think that my big/longest race of the year will be my first one. Well i guess it will make all the sprints and olympic distance races that much easier later in the summer.
2012-01-23 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4005491

User image

Champion
Calgary
laser beam - 2012-01-23 7:20 AM

Today marks the start day of my 20 week HIM training. I really looking forward to the challenge but still trying to figure out how to make all those trainer hours more fun. Kind of weird to think that my big/longest race of the year will be my first one. Well i guess it will make all the sprints and olympic distance races that much easier later in the summer.

those plans are golden. Stick to it and you will be fine.

there is no way to make trainer hours "fun".
2012-01-23 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4004879

User image

Champion
Calgary
kevinbe - 2012-01-22 5:09 PM

After reading a thread about time comittment for Long course training on this site, I took the advice of posters and asked wife what she felt about me doing full IM next year. 

After a good conversation, we agreed that it would be wiser to wait until my schooling (MA in Spec. ED.) is completed.  With School, work, training, hockey coaching and playing rec. league, and wife and 2 kids, life is busy.

We decided that it would be good to continue to train HIM's this year and next, and go for IM in 2014.  There are a lot of benefits I see to this as it will give me ample time to get better at Swim, Bike and Run. 

Tough loss by Ravens today.  Hope to see big Blue pull it out in evening game. 

Had a great time celebrating wifes B-Day.  She is my inspiration and best friend.  105 lbs. lost so far.  She's 15 lbs. away from her goal. 

you gotta pick your goals careful and have the family on side that is a for sure.

Here is a secret Kevin.....there is nothing more or less impressive about an IM over a sprint AND there is nothing about an IM that is necessarily harder than a sprint. It is how you prepare and how you perform and how you hit your goals that is impressive.

RE: football. Not a big fan, but I kinda got hooked on this tebow guy so I watched a couple games and there I am, this weekend, watching the 49ers play. Ha. So not me. I mean I dvr it so it is quick. But I dvred it, so I missed the overtime (even though I recorded half an hour later). Ha.
2012-01-23 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
rn86314 - 2012-01-22 9:29 AM

Thing I found about running and endurance sports is they aren't great initially at helping you lose weight. Start running 60 mile weeks and through in some 10k tempos and you won't be fat. I suppose everyone has their own line with that. Unfortunately you can't start at 60 miles a week.

If you want to get your weight loss go here note: may not be considered safe for work for all http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Don't let the flashy pictures fool you, them are some hard workouts.

2012-01-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4005703

User image

BigDH - 2012-01-22 4:52 PM
rn86314 - 2012-01-22 9:29 AM

Thing I found about running and endurance sports is they aren't great initially at helping you lose weight. Start running 60 mile weeks and through in some 10k tempos and you won't be fat. I suppose everyone has their own line with that. Unfortunately you can't start at 60 miles a week. If you want to get your weight loss go here note: may not be considered safe for work for all http://www.bodyrock.tv/Don't let the flashy pictures fool you, them are some hard workouts.

yep thats the goal... ill be there just takes time to build up or ill end up breaking again.

2012-01-23 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
kevinbe - 2012-01-19 10:23 PM

Keep posting.

Great job in getting the workouts in even with the trip out of town! Happy Birthday Mrs. Kevinbe.

2012-01-23 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4001419

User image

Veteran
Maryland
thor67 - 2012-01-20 11:08 AM

Well training is up in the air this week/weekend. Wife's Grandmother's funeral today/tomorrow. A large family so lots of eating and drinking today and tomorrow. Will try for a run this afternoon and maybe early tomorrow morning but time will tell as I am not driving this train. Brought my running gear and will see what shakes out!

Have a great  weekend everyone!

Sorry for your loss.

2012-01-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4003310

User image

Veteran
Maryland

BigDH - 2012-01-21 2:36 PM Forecast was for 0 c this afternoon. Ha. Liars . Currently -14 Ahhhhhhhhhhh. So tired of the cold.

LOL! So I have nothing to complain about with temps in the 20's here. F

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  

of 94