BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-05-19 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4217178

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!
otisbrown - 2012-05-18 2:53 PM

Happy Friday Everyone!!  Another weekend is here. Laughing

Tomorrow I have my first race of the season and I am looking forward to it.  There is a small chance that I might be able to place in this race as the field is typically small (150ish) and last year I wasn't that far off.

Sunday I will do my first real bike ride of the season.  Hoping that my pace will be on point, but we will see. 

Swim Smooth posted a blog today regarding breathing.  Here is the linky: http://www.feelforthewater.com/2012/05/two-quick-tips-if-you-struggle-with.html

The article got me thinking about my stroke and what happens to my arm when I take a breath. For some reason, I dont think it is straight out in front.  Something I will focus on the next time I am in the pool.  

Have a great weekend and good luck to anyone else that has a race this weekend.

--Marcus

I love these videos! Mr. Smooth is a favorite.

A good drill for this is the 'catch up' drill. You make both hands meet out front of you at the same time before you can take the next stroke. Each stroke has to catch up before you can take the next one. It's tough, but worth the effort. You learn to keep your head facing down and your hips up too.

2012-05-19 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Finally did a little spinning and strength training today. Trying to get my MOJO back. I think it's coming. I'm almost excited to work out again. The running season, new job, and 15lb weight gain kinda zapped my spirits. TriMiami triathlon is tomorrow. I will jog to the causeway, take some photos of my team mates and jog back home. @6 miles. Wish me luck. I've skipped 3 of my 6 5ks due to lack of fitness. What kind of mentor am I???? Honest, I guess. ;-)

Sometimes you get in a funk, you feel lousy... eventually you get back out there. That's where I am. And, after all, rest is a good thing. 7 weeks is a bit excessive however...

You guys inspire me, and I certainly need the enthusiasm!
2012-05-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4217178

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
otisbrown - 2012-05-18 1:53 PM

Happy Friday Everyone!!  Another weekend is here. Laughing

Tomorrow I have my first race of the season and I am looking forward to it.  There is a small chance that I might be able to place in this race as the field is typically small (150ish) and last year I wasn't that far off.

Hey, how did your race go?  Im sure you did great.

2012-05-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4218265

User image

New user
Miami

Finally did a little spinning and strength training today. Trying to get my MOJO back. I think it's coming. I'm almost excited to work out again. The running season, new job, and 15lb weight gain kinda zapped my spirits. TriMiami triathlon is tomorrow. I will jog to the causeway, take some photos of my team mates and jog back home. @6 miles. Wish me luck. I've skipped 3 of my 6 5ks due to lack of fitness. What kind of mentor am I???? Honest, I guess. ;-)

Sometimes you get in a funk, you feel lousy... eventually you get back out there. That's where I am. And, after all, rest is a good thing. 7 weeks is a bit excessive however...

I Hear ya about the funk. I am out of mine and ready to get back after it. I road with the team Hammerhead again this week and swam yesterday. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

2012-05-20 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  

I  got cleared to bike, but not clipped in. So I took the old granny bike for a spin on the forest bike trail.  Felt great to be riding, but it was a tough ride.  Very windy, and the bike is old and heavy. I noticed that it was making a lot of noise while pedaling.  I looked down and saw that the chain is completely rusted.  Well, I sure got a workout. 

I too have been struggling with motivation.  It's hard to see all your training buddies heading out for rides, runs etc and you can't.  I'm worried that by the time I can join them, I wont' be able to keep up.  I took a few days off this week because I was feeling so fatigued and worn out.  Saw my GI doc on Friday and learned my blood levels weren't too good: very low vitamin D, B12 and very high eosinophils, all of which can leave you fatigued.  Having Crohn's can make it hard to absorb nutrients.  Got a B 12 shot and perhaps it's the power of suggestion, but I do feel better..

Lovey, hope you are getting pampered while you keep that ankle elevated.  Heal quickly!

2012-05-20 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4218935

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
garylandry - 2012-05-20 11:28 AM

I Hear ya about the funk. I am out of mine and ready to get back after it. I road with the team Hammerhead again this week and swam yesterday. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

So glad you are enjoying the hammerheads! I can't wait to get back on my bike. Maybe next weekend. I actually got a run in today. Not far, but it was a run! I'm sure we'll see each other out there. We just need to keep in touch.

2012-05-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4219035

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-05-20 1:45 PM

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  

I  got cleared to bike, but not clipped in. So I took the old granny bike for a spin on the forest bike trail.  Felt great to be riding, but it was a tough ride.  Very windy, and the bike is old and heavy. I noticed that it was making a lot of noise while pedaling.  I looked down and saw that the chain is completely rusted.  Well, I sure got a workout. 

I too have been struggling with motivation.  It's hard to see all your training buddies heading out for rides, runs etc and you can't.  I'm worried that by the time I can join them, I wont' be able to keep up.  I took a few days off this week because I was feeling so fatigued and worn out.  Saw my GI doc on Friday and learned my blood levels weren't too good: very low vitamin D, B12 and very high eosinophils, all of which can leave you fatigued.  Having Crohn's can make it hard to absorb nutrients.  Got a B 12 shot and perhaps it's the power of suggestion, but I do feel better..

Lovey, hope you are getting pampered while you keep that ankle elevated.  Heal quickly!

I did some blood testing in March and I think all the stuff I'm taking is helping. I hope your B 12 shot gives you some pep!
2012-05-20 4:01 PM

User image

Well I can cross my first tri off the bucket list.  Quite a challenge! I don't know how people can do 10x these lengths in even hotter temps!  Amazing.

Thanks to Steph and everyone here for all the great information, tips and suggestions.  I think I was well prepared mentally and gear-wise. My transitions were painfully slow, but making sure I had everything I needed for the bike and run legs was more important to me than record setting transition times.

The pool swim was pretty uneventful, except for cracking my foot on the wall on first flip turn.  My focus for the bike and run legs was mainly to complete the course, not have any bike issues or get in anyone's way, and hopefully run the whole 5k.  Temps were already near 80 and climbing by 8am, and they ran out of water at the aid station by the time I passed it going back in on the run.  I finished 12th out of 21 in my age group, and 129th out of 194 overall.  I think it was a good choice for a first tri, small size & relatively well organized.

Next up is Sherox in June!

Dumb Question - Is there a trick to getting the black marker off?  I'm starting to rub off a lot of skin. Undecided

2012-05-20 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4219235

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
awk1987 - 2012-05-20 5:01 PM

Well I can cross my first tri off the bucket list.  Quite a challenge! I don't know how people can do 10x these lengths in even hotter temps!  Amazing.

Thanks to Steph and everyone here for all the great information, tips and suggestions.  I think I was well prepared mentally and gear-wise. My transitions were painfully slow, but making sure I had everything I needed for the bike and run legs was more important to me than record setting transition times.

The pool swim was pretty uneventful, except for cracking my foot on the wall on first flip turn.  My focus for the bike and run legs was mainly to complete the course, not have any bike issues or get in anyone's way, and hopefully run the whole 5k.  Temps were already near 80 and climbing by 8am, and they ran out of water at the aid station by the time I passed it going back in on the run.  I finished 12th out of 21 in my age group, and 129th out of 194 overall.  I think it was a good choice for a first tri, small size & relatively well organized.

Dumb Question - Is there a trick to getting the black marker off?  I'm starting to rub off a lot of skin. Undecided

NICE WORK! one good thing about open water.. no flip turns! Sounds like you had a good race, PROUD of you!

Nope, you just gotta deal with the marker. I've had SOME luck with nail polish remover.
2012-05-20 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota

(ashe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ashe.jpg (19KB - 10 downloads)
2012-05-20 5:56 PM

First OWS of the year today. 500 yards. It was really weird because a) water had a bacteria alert posted b) there were people fishing on the banks. My sighting practice was really so I didn't get hooked, not to stay on course. Almost asked my 12 yr old nephew to thrash me a little bit to simulate a race. Maybe next time.

edit: How do you post pics? 

editx2: Good job on the first tri awk.

Edited by skibummer 2012-05-20 6:01 PM

2012-05-20 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4218080

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Subject: RE: Pre Race Warm-up... more detail, short distancees

stephsprint - 2012-05-19 11:28 AM The warm up before the race is extremely important. The shorter the Race, the more important and longer the warm up. The Longer the Race, the warm up is still important but very short. Let’s figure “ backwards” the “ ideal warmup” for a Sprint & Olympic distance Triathlon. You don’t want to warm up too early and be cold at the start. And you don’t want to warm up in a hurry either. Arrive at least 90’ to 75’ prior to the Race “START” (which is not necessarily your start). Let’s suppose that the race starts at 7:00am: · 6:50 You should leave the water and go closer to the start. · 6:45 Get in the water and swim really easy for 1-2’ . Then do 2-3 x 10-20” accelerations. Kick hard to make sure that your ankle bracelet with the chip is not loose. · 6:40 leave your running shoes (and optional socks) in your transition and make sure everything is fine with your stuff and take your cap and goggles and go to the swim start. · 6:20-6:25 start jogging easy for 1 mile or 10’. Use socks. Stretch again. Then, do 3-4 x 20” Strides/Accelerations. · 6:15-6:20 start stretching really easy. My recommendations: · Bring baby powder with you and fill up both your biking and running shoes with it. The inside part at the heel is priority. It’s much easier to slide your wet foot inside the shoe. · Set up your transition with a little old towel and put your things on top of that. Slide your foot in the towel to take off most of the dirt from running barefoot on the sand or on the gravel. · Body Glide: under the arms; on your heels; under your arms, etc · Hydration starts the night before with lots of electrolytes from after dinner to bed time. Don’t exaggerate. · Last meal should be 12 hours before Start Gun. · Bring always two pairs of goggles (one dark and one clear) · Follow intensity/Effort/Cadence Chart for your optimal race. · This is from my coach Marcelo Holcberg

Steph,

Thanks for this info.  One thing I have seen others do, was to bring a cheep roasting pan and fill it with water.  Makes for a quick and easy foot bath before you slip your shoes on. 

2012-05-20 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Hey Everyone,

I just posted my race report.  The race went really well.  I ended with a personal best of 21:59.  I finished 7th overall and 4th (Grr 30 seconds to slow.) in my age group.  All in all I am really happy and with my time. This is almost a minute faster than my November 5K on a course that is harder to run.  

The field was small (75ish), but had some inspirational runners.  There were a couple of 60-70 runners that finished around 26-30 minutes. I hope I can still run when I am that age never mind at that pace. The oldest was in the 70+ age group and I am pretty sure he finished under 30 minutes. 

Lovey,
I am glad to hear the surgery went well. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Steph,
I do the catch drill and always thought of it as way to learn how the glide feels. Certainly makes more sense now.

Suzi,
Great news to hear you are back out on the bike!!

Awk,
Way to go completing your first tri. Guess they didn't tell you the marker was perminant? :-/

2012-05-20 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4219235

User image

Elite
washington state
awk1987 - 2012-05-20 2:01 PM

Congrats on your first tri!!!

As for the marker, wash enough so that it doesn't rub off on clothes and then wear the marks with pride!   Makes for great conversation starter at work.  Wink

2012-05-21 5:58 AM
in reply to: #4219423

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Pre Race Warm-up... more detail, short distancees
otisbrown - 2012-05-20 7:39 PM

stephsprint - 2012-05-19 11:28 AM The warm up before the race is extremely important. The shorter the Race, the more important and longer the warm up. The Longer the Race, the warm up is still important but very short. Let’s figure “ backwards” the “ ideal warmup” for a Sprint & Olympic distance Triathlon. You don’t want to warm up too early and be cold at the start. And you don’t want to warm up in a hurry either. Arrive at least 90’ to 75’ prior to the Race “START” (which is not necessarily your start). Let’s suppose that the race starts at 7:00am: · 6:50 You should leave the water and go closer to the start. · 6:45 Get in the water and swim really easy for 1-2’ . Then do 2-3 x 10-20” accelerations. Kick hard to make sure that your ankle bracelet with the chip is not loose. · 6:40 leave your running shoes (and optional socks) in your transition and make sure everything is fine with your stuff and take your cap and goggles and go to the swim start. · 6:20-6:25 start jogging easy for 1 mile or 10’. Use socks. Stretch again. Then, do 3-4 x 20” Strides/Accelerations. · 6:15-6:20 start stretching really easy. My recommendations: · Bring baby powder with you and fill up both your biking and running shoes with it. The inside part at the heel is priority. It’s much easier to slide your wet foot inside the shoe. · Set up your transition with a little old towel and put your things on top of that. Slide your foot in the towel to take off most of the dirt from running barefoot on the sand or on the gravel. · Body Glide: under the arms; on your heels; under your arms, etc · Hydration starts the night before with lots of electrolytes from after dinner to bed time. Don’t exaggerate. · Last meal should be 12 hours before Start Gun. · Bring always two pairs of goggles (one dark and one clear) · Follow intensity/Effort/Cadence Chart for your optimal race. · This is from my coach Marcelo Holcberg

Steph,

Thanks for this info.  One thing I have seen others do, was to bring a cheep roasting pan and fill it with water.  Makes for a quick and easy foot bath before you slip your shoes on. 

I can't imagine a race where anyone would have room for a foot bath! Nice! Here they would take your foot bath and throw it over the fence!
2012-05-21 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4219367

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
When you hit reply, there's a box at the bottom of the post, left of the submit button, ... check it, and then hit submit... THEN you can attach a photo. Can't be more than 100kb I think.

2012-05-21 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

Ok, Im my worse enemy.  My second planned race is this Saturday, and I havent trained in a week and a half.  Having a hard time trying to manage all the things in my life.  Oh well, I got to get through this.  Will be able to run tonight, Wensday and Friday.

Not sure if it is a good idea to run Friday.  I havent been running enough, so I dont know if running the day before a race is good or if it can hurt me.  Any suggestions?

I know this is my only second race I have ever done, and I should not be worried about my times for my first year of racing, but no one wants to do worse then their last race.  Im so focused on beating my last time.  Was allways a competitive person, but not feeling too great with a 15min mile pace.  I was looking at last years race results, and my last time would put me around 290th place...lol.

So any suggestions about running the day before a race or any tips how to shave a few seconds off my 5k time would be great.

2012-05-22 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4221345

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
oak73 - 2012-05-21 4:46 PM

Ok, Im my worse enemy.  My second planned race is this Saturday, and I havent trained in a week and a half.  Having a hard time trying to manage all the things in my life.  Oh well, I got to get through this.  Will be able to run tonight, Wensday and Friday.

Not sure if it is a good idea to run Friday.  I havent been running enough, so I dont know if running the day before a race is good or if it can hurt me.  Any suggestions?

I know this is my only second race I have ever done, and I should not be worried about my times for my first year of racing, but no one wants to do worse then their last race.  Im so focused on beating my last time.  Was allways a competitive person, but not feeling too great with a 15min mile pace.  I was looking at last years race results, and my last time would put me around 290th place...lol.

So any suggestions about running the day before a race or any tips how to shave a few seconds off my 5k time would be great.

Oak,

Dont beat yourself up.  You are still doing way more than all the couch surfers.

In speaking from experience, training is the first thing to go when life gets hectic.  I have found that being able to see it coming allows me to plan around it, helping me be more consistent. 

I would not recommend running the day before.  I have always taken at least one day off before a race. It is most likely to hurt you more than help you. 

The more you run, the easier it gets, the faster you go.  In the end it is all about consistency, time in the saddle, hitting the pavement, making like a fish...

--Marcus 

2012-05-22 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4222695

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
otisbrown - 2012-05-22 10:44 AM

Oak,

Dont beat yourself up.  You are still doing way more than all the couch surfers.

In speaking from experience, training is the first thing to go when life gets hectic.  I have found that being able to see it coming allows me to plan around it, helping me be more consistent. 

I would not recommend running the day before.  I have always taken at least one day off before a race. It is most likely to hurt you more than help you. 

The more you run, the easier it gets, the faster you go.  In the end it is all about consistency, time in the saddle, hitting the pavement, making like a fish...

--Marcus 

Thanks Marcus...true about the couch athletes.  Thanks for the support.

2012-05-23 6:38 AM

I have lost my mojo=(((((( I dont know whats happening to me. I am 31 days to my first sprint and just came off a 10 day rest d/t hip issue and bad ear infection! And my little guy who is 2yrs old usually comes to the gym with me is now having horrible seperation anxiety, so I have had to leave several times with incomplete work out attempts.  Yesterday I went into  a larger pool which is 50yrds instead of the 25 i am usually in and what a difference! I started to panic.... there wont even be a wall to grab on to in open water! I noticed that I always start out ruff around the edges as I begin to warm up and then find myself a little more comfy. However yesterday I felt like a fish out of water! This morning Since my lo wont cooperate I got up early to get in an easy run. IT was horrible, started to pour rain and i was running and sliding in mud and my legs felt like led. My pace was the slowest ever and I only got in a little over 2 miles. IS this normal to hit a slump? Am i just psyching myself out? adv or thoughts? 
2012-05-23 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Hey all,

It looks like I have been keeping a big secret to myself and I think it is time to share it with all of you.  I thought everyone knew this, but it seems that it may not be the case.  Ready.. 

Here it is ... I think you all can handle it.

Ok .. here it is.. you cant loose your MoJo.  Its yours and nothing can take it away.  Its what gets you out of bed on the days we just want to curl up in a ball.   It is what gets us up that extra hour earlier to sneak in another session. It gets us through the rain and the mud. MoJo is what makes us go! Dont ever forget that.  

What happens is life is a B****! and tries to make us think out MoJo is missing or lost.  We come up with our plans and our goals and we think we got it all worked out to the letter.  Then life just picks it apart, effortlessly,  makes us think and feel like we got it wrong. Questioning why we are here and what we are doing. Its just the way the cookie crumbles.  The bright side is you still got a cookie.  You still got your MoJo.  

At the end of the day, we are going to get injuries, illnesses, our families are going to need us, the job is going to get in the way and training is going to suffer. Just dont give up.  Heal up, recover from that illness, tend the family and keep on keeping on. 

HTH   Marcus 

2012-05-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4224431

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

erin1621 - 2012-05-23 7:38 AM I have lost my mojo=(((((( I dont know whats happening to me. I am 31 days to my first sprint and just came off a 10 day rest d/t hip issue and bad ear infection! And my little guy who is 2yrs old usually comes to the gym with me is now having horrible seperation anxiety, so I have had to leave several times with incomplete work out attempts.  Yesterday I went into  a larger pool which is 50yrds instead of the 25 i am usually in and what a difference! I started to panic.... there wont even be a wall to grab on to in open water! I noticed that I always start out ruff around the edges as I begin to warm up and then find myself a little more comfy. However yesterday I felt like a fish out of water! This morning Since my lo wont cooperate I got up early to get in an easy run. IT was horrible, started to pour rain and i was running and sliding in mud and my legs felt like led. My pace was the slowest ever and I only got in a little over 2 miles. IS this normal to hit a slump? Am i just psyching myself out? adv or thoughts? 

Erin,

My swims go the same way.  Everything seems all discombobulated and uneasy in the beginning.  At some point through the workout everything settles in and the grove begins.  It might be helpful to get some open water swims before your tri.  Around here all the lakes are dark water and its a bit different to swim in them versus the nice clear pool. 

Yes, it is normal to hit a slump.  Just look at every professional athlete.  They all hit slumps at some point  and they all work there way out of it.  You will do the same and you will get through your slump.

--Marcus

2012-05-23 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4224431

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
erin1621 - 2012-05-23 7:38 AM

I have lost my mojo=(((((( I dont know whats happening to me. I am 31 days to my first sprint and just came off a 10 day rest d/t hip issue and bad ear infection! And my little guy who is 2yrs old usually comes to the gym with me is now having horrible seperation anxiety, so I have had to leave several times with incomplete work out attempts.  Yesterday I went into  a larger pool which is 50yrds instead of the 25 i am usually in and what a difference! I started to panic.... there wont even be a wall to grab on to in open water! I noticed that I always start out ruff around the edges as I begin to warm up and then find myself a little more comfy. However yesterday I felt like a fish out of water! This morning Since my lo wont cooperate I got up early to get in an easy run. IT was horrible, started to pour rain and i was running and sliding in mud and my legs felt like led. My pace was the slowest ever and I only got in a little over 2 miles. IS this normal to hit a slump? Am i just psyching myself out? adv or thoughts? 

Totally normal. Make sure your diet is perfect and you are fueling your workouts. You'll be back up to speed in no time. 50 meter lanes! what a luxury. Are you doing a nice slow 200 meter warm-up? you really DO need to warm-up. You can make it through this!!
2012-05-23 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4221345

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota

DO NOT TRAIN THE DAY BEFORE A RACE. If you want to do a little pre-race warm-up, fine... and easy mile or two jogging, but that's IT.

You can't 'catch up' on training you miss. You have to start where you are. Look, s#&t happens sometimes. Use the race as a training day. Do a slow mile, a slightly faster mile, then run the last mile as hard as you are able. It's called progression training. If you aren't ready for a race.... SO WHAT?

Use the time to work on your abs, tighten up your diet, try a new fruit or vegetable... all of these things are valuable.

Have you ever looked at the statistics on weight loss? how much a 5lb or 10lb loss can improve your speed? You should. There are a lot of ways to get faster.

Ever tried water running?

I could go on...
2012-05-23 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'm taking my own advice here. I'm not ready for my 5k Sunday. I'm doing it anyway.

The cool thing about races is... the street is blocked off!!! You don't have to worry about traffic, about being alone, about wearing your head phones, about having enough water... it's like the perfect training day!

Go, enjoy, take it easy.

The 5k I'm doing this weekend has a huge crowd, a big military and EMS, firefighter, cop contingent AND an F16 fighter fly over. What's not to like? and I can listen to my music. )

I won't be fast. I won't PR. But I'll have a great time supporting a couple of great great causes.

I blew off my last two races.

SHAME ON ME.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45