BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-03-10 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!!
Is this group still open? I'm a newbie in search of motivation and guidance?

2013-03-10 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4653515

New user

GoFaster - 2013-03-10 9:11 AM

Look at the foot strikes of the best runners in the world.  Youtube is great for that - lots of heel striking going on.  I could personally never run the way you've just described.  There was a recent study that said heel striking is not a bad thing.  But really it comes down to what your body does naturally, if you change that too radically you risk hurting yourself.

i think your right Neil, there have been documentaries about the ball of the foot hitting the ground as a more natural style, but i have been running heel first for 25 years and when i tried to change, man did it hurt.  do what comes naturally.

2013-03-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4654117

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Nussy - 2013-03-10 7:13 PM Is this group still open? I'm a newbie in search of motivation and guidance?

Hello Nussy, yes we are still open.  In fact, I don't plan on closing it at all....I see no reason to prevent anyone from popping in and asking questions or participate in discussions.

2013-03-12 9:13 PM

User image

Pro

OK folks, ski racing season is over and now I have no more excuses for not being more responsive to posts.  Triathlon training gets re-booted this week and I'll be here every day from now on.  I need to go back to some posts that I started but didn't finish addressing.  I appreciate other folks stepping in and answering questions.

On that note, I wanted to get feedback from everyone on the fate of this mentor group.  The early season mentor program is supposed to end during March/April when a new BT mentor group class will begin.  I wonder if people would like to keep this group going all season or call it quits in another month or so.  There are many people that haven't been too active but perhaps that is because winter is just now releasing its grip and they are now turning towards getting ready for tri training.  I'm willing to keep things going so we can see how people's training and racing is going this year. 

Thoughts?

2013-03-12 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4649509

User image

Pro
piper_chuck - 2013-03-06 9:23 PM

Hello Jim, got room for one more?

NAME: Chuck

STORY:   54 years old, carrying 70-80 pounds more than I'd like, but focused on eating healthier, being more active, and losing the pounds. Over the years I've participated in a number of sports including ice hockey, soccer, running, cycling, water skiing, snow skiing, and others. Currently in lousy shape,  but am working on it.

Hi Chuck, you're welcome to join us.  A late starter is better than never starting at all.  Look forward to working with you.

2013-03-12 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4654276

User image

Pro
petertri - 2013-03-10 9:45 PM
GoFaster - 2013-03-10 9:11 AM

Look at the foot strikes of the best runners in the world.  Youtube is great for that - lots of heel striking going on.  I could personally never run the way you've just described.  There was a recent study that said heel striking is not a bad thing.  But really it comes down to what your body does naturally, if you change that too radically you risk hurting yourself.

i think your right Neil, there have been documentaries about the ball of the foot hitting the ground as a more natural style, but i have been running heel first for 25 years and when i tried to change, man did it hurt.  do what comes naturally.

I say, heel strikers unite.  Been a heel striker myself for 37 years with no issues.  Personally, I think that most people that try to sell the "change your stride" story are ones that are selling a book or video.  I'm not saying that someone with a very quirky stride might not have injury issues, but most people are going to be fine with their natural stride.  Same goes with cadence as well imo....people took the paragraph out of Jack Daniels book where he said he studied a certain number of world class runners and many of them had cadences of around 90.  People took that and translated it to mean "to get faster you have to have a stride rate of 90".  If you keep reading in the same page or so (1st edition anyway, not sure about 2nd) Daniels said that most people should stick with the natural cadence they already have.

2013-03-12 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4653362

User image

Pro

kaw_w - 2013-03-09 7:38 PM Hi, 1st prep week this week, im using the IM training plan from the book "your best triathlon", (not knowing what im doing im putting faith in it). anyways, not off to a good start at all - recovering from manflu and its been a waaay too busy work week (grrrrr). anyways, regarding running: i started forefoot strike in Jan and have worked up to my longest run 21.5k last week(its very slow but im still developing the leg muscles, shin splints are dissapearing and the plantar faciitis is fading). ive done this thinking my heel shouldnt touch the ground, ive backtracked in the snow or mud to check the footprints and they dont show heel touching the ground, there are mixed views on the web: should the heel touch or not? also what views are ther on long run the day before the long ride or the other way around?K

see my notes above and from those of others in the group on heel-striking.  As for your question on views on long runs the day before the long ride (or vice versa) can you tell me what you call a "long run" and "long ride" and what part of a race training program you are in?  Not familiar with the book you mentioned and what they are calling a "prep week".

2013-03-13 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
After a few days of easing back into running just to get used to the pavement again today I got in a decent 5.4 miler that actually felt like a run...a little slow...but still a real run after taking time off to x-c ski.  How is everyone's mid-week going?
2013-03-13 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4657517

New user

northampton

Hi, thanks for the comments, much appreciated,

RE the long ride & run:  once a week I have a long ride (3+ hrs) & run (1.5/2+ hrs) all in zone 2. Week work days are too long – 6 to 9/10 so I have to do them on the weekend and keep the week for shorter (1hr) workouts.

I’m only at the beginning of the training plan, the prep period is described as the preparing to train period, it’s all done in zone 2 with a focus on skills, after that it goes into base 1,2,3,build 1,2, peak, race. – the more I think about it: hopefully my body will get used to the work, in which case this won’t matter?

PS the book referred to is by Joe Friel and has race specific plans for sprint, ly, half IM and IM races.

2013-03-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4651460

User image

Pro
rymac - 2013-03-08 8:05 AM
GoFaster - 2013-03-05 8:54 AM
Birkierunner - 2013-03-04 9:37 PM
GoFaster - 2013-03-04 8:44 AM

Jim - question on training plans.  I've got my first Sprint slated for the beginning of June, giving me 14 weeks to get ready.  I typically ride the trainer most of the season and only get outside to ride on the weekends.  I'm planning on using most of the workouts from Jorge's winter program.  I'm just wondering which sections of the plan I should focus on in preparing for the race.  i.e. what part of the plan should I focus on now, and what would be ideal in the 6-8 weeks before the race

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=10919

Or would I be better off considering something different?

Thanks for any feedback.

Neil, first I would step back and ask where the Sprint in June fits in with your overall season schedule and your goals.  I'm assuming that Muskoka 70.3 in September is your "A" race for the season, correct?  Personally, I wouldn't focus my next 14 weeks on getting ready for a Sprint race in June if my goal race is a HIM in September.  But if that Sprint is actually your "A" race for personal reasons you may have then I might answer a little differently.  I will go back and review Jorge's schedule layout and make some comments on what pieces you may want to focus on.

Here's how I was kind of looking at it.  I've got 14 weeks to the first race of the season, and 27 weeks until Muskoka.  With the exception of Muskoka, I'm planning to race two Sprints within a 2 week period, an Olympic 4 weeks after that, followed by another Sprint in 3-4 weeks and then 3-4 weeks until the 70.3.  Ideally I would be racing the Olympic last, but that's not going to fit the schedule, and the Sprint I am racing is a 33k bike with 7k run, so it's not too short.

My initial thought is that once the weather turns nice enough, hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll get in a long(er) ride most weekends.  For the most part this will by anywhere between 80-130km.  For the most part I would be planning to target an 80-85% effort on these rides.

It's the trainer rides (2-3) during the week where I'm a bit lost.  I don't know how to best structure these efforts to get ready for the Sprints vs the 70.3, and when to make the transition to only focus on training for the 70.3 - but continue to race the shorter distances.

Not sure of this is making sense.

The timing works out pretty good IMO.  I would transition to HIM specific 12 weeks out.  In the meantime I would probably setup the bike focus as threshold-VO2-Threshold in 4 week blocks in prep for Oly/Spring to build your FTP prior to going HIM specific.

Threshold could be 2 days of (2x20 or 3x15) with 1 long weekend ride with some VO2 thrown in but majority at 80-85% (3 rides total)

VO2 could be 2 days of (1'ON;1'OFF or 30/30) and get 15' total ON and then 1 long weekend ride with some threshold work but the majority at 80-85%.

My 0.02 cents.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this set of questions, and before I did I wanted to set up a spreadsheet with the dates of the races that Neil has on his schedule (googled them) just so I could organize some thoughts.

Ryan I'm curious about your thoughts on why you suggest that Neil put a 4 week block of VO2 work in the middle of 2 x 4 week blocks of FTP work?   There are always more than one way to skin a cat, but I would probably do something a little differently.  It depends in part on the needs/weaknesses of the athlete but I would put a VO2 block in the early part of the plan and then switch over to a longer FTP/CP block in preparation for the sprint races.  Starting with this week, I would probably schedule a 4 week block of VO2 work (at most) and then switch to a FTP/CP block of 8 weeks.  6-8 weeks are needed to elicit the desired adaptations and I would urge testing of FTP prior to that 8 week block and then test at the end of it (the week prior to your first sprint) and use your new FTP to guide training levels for your HIM prep.  I wouldn't stop VO2 work altogether during this block because you still want to maintain in that department.

How much emphasis you place on your sprint and Oly races will guide how much you do or don't want to train through them.  I personally don't taper for mid-season races but everyone's goals are different.  I don't have much to add to what Ryan suggested about a 12 week prep for your HIM and intensity levels for VO2 and FTP/CP work.

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-03-14 1:57 PM
2013-03-14 9:30 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
THanks for letting me in...here's my story. 39year old married,father of 2(3 & 5 yrs) residing in Green Bay, wi. Back in August at 295 I decided to get my life back.... I started a low GI diet and started working out. At that point I couldn't run even a mile without walking. I'm a former competitive golfer who has been in telecommunications sales for the last 17 years. 6 months later I'm down 50 lbs to 245 and I've decided a sprint triathlon in June would keep me motivated to continue to lose weight. My traing has consisted of mostly running and biking. I'm up to 3 miles running 95% of the time on the treadmill and have mixed in biking up 5-10 miles as well. I just started swim training and its been a real struggle but doing the best I can. My work schedule and travel have made it difficult to keep a good diet and consistent training schedule so I have had a tendency to push myself much harder on the weekends. Thanks n advance for the motivation and advice!!!

2013-03-15 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4660462

Nussy - 2013-03-14 10:30 PM THanks for letting me in...here's my story. 39year old married,father of 2(3 & 5 yrs) residing in Green Bay, wi. Back in August at 295 I decided to get my life back.... I started a low GI diet and started working out. At that point I couldn't run even a mile without walking. I'm a former competitive golfer who has been in telecommunications sales for the last 17 years. 6 months later I'm down 50 lbs to 245 and I've decided a sprint triathlon in June would keep me motivated to continue to lose weight. My traing has consisted of mostly running and biking. I'm up to 3 miles running 95% of the time on the treadmill and have mixed in biking up 5-10 miles as well. I just started swim training and its been a real struggle but doing the best I can. My work schedule and travel have made it difficult to keep a good diet and consistent training schedule so I have had a tendency to push myself much harder on the weekends. Thanks n advance for the motivation and advice!!!

Nussy,

Welcome, glad to see you set a goal to keep you motivated.    I to travel quit a bit for work.  I would like to hear other's advice on eating good on the road.  I find this very challenging.

Mike
2013-03-15 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4658773

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
kaw_w - 2013-03-13 6:30 PM

Hi, thanks for the comments, much appreciated,

RE the long ride & run:  once a week I have a long ride (3+ hrs) & run (1.5/2+ hrs) all in zone 2. Week work days are too long – 6 to 9/10 so I have to do them on the weekend and keep the week for shorter (1hr) workouts.

I’m only at the beginning of the training plan, the prep period is described as the preparing to train period, it’s all done in zone 2 with a focus on skills, after that it goes into base 1,2,3,build 1,2, peak, race. – the more I think about it: hopefully my body will get used to the work, in which case this won’t matter?

PS the book referred to is by Joe Friel and has race specific plans for sprint, ly, half IM and IM races.

I have read the book.  Not a big fan of Friel for most AG'ers.

Sounds like you have some big work demands.  Do you think you can follow his plan (lots of volume) with all that going on?  The reason I ask is....as the plan progresses the volume (20hr weeks) and intensity continue to increase and it can cause problems (injury & burnout) if the early prep is not followed closely.  I remember the prep periods even being in the 12-16 hr range.  That would never happen for me.

2013-03-15 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4659601

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Birkierunner - 2013-03-14 12:21 PM
rymac - 2013-03-08 8:05 AM
GoFaster - 2013-03-05 8:54 AM
Birkierunner - 2013-03-04 9:37 PM
GoFaster - 2013-03-04 8:44 AM

Jim - question on training plans.  I've got my first Sprint slated for the beginning of June, giving me 14 weeks to get ready.  I typically ride the trainer most of the season and only get outside to ride on the weekends.  I'm planning on using most of the workouts from Jorge's winter program.  I'm just wondering which sections of the plan I should focus on in preparing for the race.  i.e. what part of the plan should I focus on now, and what would be ideal in the 6-8 weeks before the race

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=10919

Or would I be better off considering something different?

Thanks for any feedback.

Neil, first I would step back and ask where the Sprint in June fits in with your overall season schedule and your goals.  I'm assuming that Muskoka 70.3 in September is your "A" race for the season, correct?  Personally, I wouldn't focus my next 14 weeks on getting ready for a Sprint race in June if my goal race is a HIM in September.  But if that Sprint is actually your "A" race for personal reasons you may have then I might answer a little differently.  I will go back and review Jorge's schedule layout and make some comments on what pieces you may want to focus on.

Here's how I was kind of looking at it.  I've got 14 weeks to the first race of the season, and 27 weeks until Muskoka.  With the exception of Muskoka, I'm planning to race two Sprints within a 2 week period, an Olympic 4 weeks after that, followed by another Sprint in 3-4 weeks and then 3-4 weeks until the 70.3.  Ideally I would be racing the Olympic last, but that's not going to fit the schedule, and the Sprint I am racing is a 33k bike with 7k run, so it's not too short.

My initial thought is that once the weather turns nice enough, hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll get in a long(er) ride most weekends.  For the most part this will by anywhere between 80-130km.  For the most part I would be planning to target an 80-85% effort on these rides.

It's the trainer rides (2-3) during the week where I'm a bit lost.  I don't know how to best structure these efforts to get ready for the Sprints vs the 70.3, and when to make the transition to only focus on training for the 70.3 - but continue to race the shorter distances.

Not sure of this is making sense.

The timing works out pretty good IMO.  I would transition to HIM specific 12 weeks out.  In the meantime I would probably setup the bike focus as threshold-VO2-Threshold in 4 week blocks in prep for Oly/Spring to build your FTP prior to going HIM specific.

Threshold could be 2 days of (2x20 or 3x15) with 1 long weekend ride with some VO2 thrown in but majority at 80-85% (3 rides total)

VO2 could be 2 days of (1'ON;1'OFF or 30/30) and get 15' total ON and then 1 long weekend ride with some threshold work but the majority at 80-85%.

My 0.02 cents.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this set of questions, and before I did I wanted to set up a spreadsheet with the dates of the races that Neil has on his schedule (googled them) just so I could organize some thoughts.

Ryan I'm curious about your thoughts on why you suggest that Neil put a 4 week block of VO2 work in the middle of 2 x 4 week blocks of FTP work?   There are always more than one way to skin a cat, but I would probably do something a little differently.  It depends in part on the needs/weaknesses of the athlete but I would put a VO2 block in the early part of the plan and then switch over to a longer FTP/CP block in preparation for the sprint races.  Starting with this week, I would probably schedule a 4 week block of VO2 work (at most) and then switch to a FTP/CP block of 8 weeks.  6-8 weeks are needed to elicit the desired adaptations and I would urge testing of FTP prior to that 8 week block and then test at the end of it (the week prior to your first sprint) and use your new FTP to guide training levels for your HIM prep.  I wouldn't stop VO2 work altogether during this block because you still want to maintain in that department.

How much emphasis you place on your sprint and Oly races will guide how much you do or don't want to train through them.  I personally don't taper for mid-season races but everyone's goals are different.  I don't have much to add to what Ryan suggested about a 12 week prep for your HIM and intensity levels for VO2 and FTP/CP work.

I use that sandwiched VO2 block just as a way to raise my ceiling one last time before the final 4 weeks to race day.  For me, this just means going from (1) VO2 ride to (2) per week and still including a threshold focus ride as well.

I think is also depends on the persons strengths/weaknesses as you mention.

2013-03-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4660696

User image

Pro
rymac - 2013-03-15 7:36 AM

I use that sandwiched VO2 block just as a way to raise my ceiling one last time before the final 4 weeks to race day.  For me, this just means going from (1) VO2 ride to (2) per week and still including a threshold focus ride as well.

I think is also depends on the persons strengths/weaknesses as you mention.

That's why its difficult to answser these types of questions in a mentor group rather than a coaching situation.  Unless you've got test results and observations of athletes training performances its hard to know what he/she needs to work on first.  And as you mention, you are still doing some of each type of workout, its just a matter of what you want to focus on and elicit a response for.

2013-03-16 8:18 AM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Ok guys, I may have a few dumb questions....here in the first....do you need to lock up your bike in the transition area?

2013-03-16 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4657484

Portland

I say keep it going.  I haven't posted all that much, but I've gotten some great advice, and when I've had questions, I've received some very helpful answers.

That's my two-cents' worth.

Gary

2013-03-16 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4662272

User image

Pro

Nussy - 2013-03-16 8:18 AM Ok guys, I may have a few dumb questions....here in the first....do you need to lock up your bike in the transition area?

No need to lock up bikes.  Access is controlled pretty well in most races and usually only athletes are allowed in the transition area. 

2013-03-16 12:05 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I vote keep it going since I just joined the group. Got a good workout in today. Longest so far 10 miles on bike, 3 on treadmill.
2013-03-16 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Jim/Ryan - thanks for the feedback.

I've been dealing with achilles issues for the past few weeks which caused me to stop running for 3 weeks.  Getting back into the swing of things now, but now it will take a number of weeks to get back to where I was.  Not sure that it will happen, but hoping to pull off an outdoor ride tomorrow.  We'll see if the snow holds off.

2013-03-17 7:51 AM

User image

Westerly
Subject: Started my race season

Officially started my race season yesterday with a 5k. It was a bit cold (under 35) for my taste but it was fun and a big crowd.  It was my second 5k and I was very happy with my time 19:46 which was 2nd for my AG.  I am glad that my calves held up so well.  Next week I am going to the Tri Mania expo (formally the multi sport expo) at MIT in Massachusetts.  They have several seminars on tap for the day that will help me prepare for my first Tri in June. 

As far as this forum goes, I would very much like it to continue.  Although I don't post a lot, I am finding all of the information very useful.  Some of the discussion is very technical but useful nonetheless.  I thought it would continue throughout the season and hope that it does.  All for now, take care everyone.

2013-03-17 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4662985

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Started my race season
Dave - that's a fantastic race result!  In the 5 years of racing, I've yet to do a stand alone 5K or 10K.  Hopefully I can work one in this year.
2013-03-17 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4662985

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Started my race season
RITri - 2013-03-17 7:51 AM

Officially started my race season yesterday with a 5k. It was a bit cold (under 35) for my taste but it was fun and a big crowd.  It was my second 5k and I was very happy with my time 19:46 which was 2nd for my AG.  I am glad that my calves held up so well.  Next week I am going to the Tri Mania expo (formally the multi sport expo) at MIT in Massachusetts.  They have several seminars on tap for the day that will help me prepare for my first Tri in June. 

As far as this forum goes, I would very much like it to continue.  Although I don't post a lot, I am finding all of the information very useful.  Some of the discussion is very technical but useful nonetheless.  I thought it would continue throughout the season and hope that it does.  All for now, take care everyone.

Great job on the 5k Dave.  Glad you want to continue with the mentor group!

2013-03-18 9:38 AM

User image

I would like to join the group.
2013-03-18 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4664174

User image

Pro

jhight - 2013-03-18 9:38 AM I would like to join the group.

Welcome...tell us about yourself

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25