BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-03 12:34 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

There's no hope.......I can't keep up with all of you!

I guess I'm training too much! Innocent

I felt like dog poo today.  I managed some half-butt workouts.  They weren't the best but I kept with my schedule and did "something" resembling my intentions.

Between the munchkin puke-fest last week, New Years vacation out of town, and getting back to real life today.....I'm beat.  I need a vacation!

2013-01-03 6:03 AM
in reply to: #4557819

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
KWDreamun - 2013-01-02 11:47 AM

Jonathan, mine is barely below the elbow, right where it attaches to the elbow.

How is the puppy?  What is his/her name?  How is the poty training going?

Yeah...that's where my elbow hurts right now too.  I was lifting back in 2006 and hurt that forearm doing some curls or something and it's affected my throwing a baseball ever since.  Super annoying.

The pup is great....except yesterday my wife left her in the living room for about an hour and she ate a couple of her brand new smartwool socks that I bought my wife for Christmas.  So we had a quick trip to the emergency vet to make sure she'd be fine.  And she is.  I'm not even sure why we went.  Oh well.  Potty training is actually done.  She's completely housebroken.  The only issue we were having the first few nights is that she wanted to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  Thankfully she slept through the night last night.

I hear you Tracy....sometimes you need a vacation from life on vacation....especially with kids!

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2013-01-03 6:09 AM
2013-01-03 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4559157

User image

Bronze member

michgirlsk - 2013-01-02 10:35 PM Okay, I need to limit my internet browsing (including this forum.)  The clicking around (and typing, while we're at it) just is not doing any good to my tendons.  Literally, I can feel my tendons in a way I shouldn't be feeling them with the clicking of the mouse and with typing.  I think this makes it sound like it's bad- it's not THAT bad, but still, I think the little things are adding up which just prolongs the issue.  SO, (we'll see how this goes, but!) I am making a conscious decision to stop the clicking of the mouse and typing unless necessary for a few days!  So, I am going to attempt to sign off here for a bit!  This sounds a bit dramatic, but... Smile

Well I hope it feels better fast so you'll be back! Take care of that elbow!

2013-01-03 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4559247

User image

Bronze member
RunningYogini - 2013-01-03 12:34 AM

There's no hope.......I can't keep up with all of you!

I guess I'm training too much! Innocent

I felt like dog poo today.  I managed some half-butt workouts.  They weren't the best but I kept with my schedule and did "something" resembling my intentions.

Between the munchkin puke-fest last week, New Years vacation out of town, and getting back to real life today.....I'm beat.  I need a vacation!

I know how you feel. I have to try to wake the kids up in about 10 min. - back to school today. I have a feeling this is not going to go well.

2013-01-03 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Samantha, I hope you have a speedy recovery with your elbow and get back in the pool soon!

Dina, good luck w/ the children and school.

Jonathan, what is your dog's name?

Well a little good news, I swam 100 yards non-stop for me.  That is a 1st for me, now if I can just figure out how to keep going. 

2013-01-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4559635

User image

Elite
far northern CA
KWDreamun - 2013-01-03 7:15 AM

Samantha, I hope you have a speedy recovery with your elbow and get back in the pool soon!

Well a little good news, I swam 100 yards non-stop for me.  That is a 1st for me, now if I can just figure out how to keep going. 

Yay!!!!  100 yards!!!!  I remember that milestone!  Congrats!

2013-01-03 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I noticed something interesting this morning while running on the treadmill.  My feet are especially painful today so I kept the entire 5 mile run at only 6.5 mph just to give things a break.  Yesterday was a double run which is why they are worse today.  (but that's not my point)

So my HR began in the low 120s and made its way up to 130 as I finished, but a few seconds before I finished, I began to think about my breathing.  Unconsciously I was controlling my breathing.  In slowly over about 4 steps and then out slowly over the same amount of time.  Yet I had a slight sensation of oxygen deprivation.  So I began to breath faster and my HR dropped to 125 in only about 5 seconds.

How do you all breath when running or even cycling? (or swimming for that matter)

I first began to play with this last season and realized on the bike that when I would just let my exhale go and almost 'over breath' that I felt so much better at or near threshold.  Rather than controlling my exhale, I just relax and let it 'fall' out on it's own.  The lungs empty faster than when I control it and I seem to get dramatically more CO2 out and feel so much better.

I propose a little experiment for you all.  Next time you are on a stationary bike or a treadmill (and monitoring heart rate) play around with your breathing technique and rate and see what your HR does.

2013-01-03 12:30 PM

User image

NH

I started doing the breathing checks last winter  running on the treadmill after you suggested it then.  One of the reasons I like the treadmill is I can focus on things like breathing without worrying about the terrain, wind, dogs, etc.  I can fluctuate my HR +/- 3 or 4 beats simply by changing my breathing pattern.  What I have found is probably what you are describing.  My most "efficient" pattern (in terms of lowest HR) is when I really just relax the breathing both in and out.  It takes time to get to the point where you aren't forcing it since once you start focusing on something it becomes very hard to just "let it happen".  I have less success doing the breathing correctly outside, simply because it really requires a lot more focus.

I'm actually trying to employ the same feeling in the pool when I swim.  It's harder to keep the breathing as relaxed, but I'm starting to get closer.

2013-01-03 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

I just watched a site on youtube about keeping your feet strong.  It is as simple as doing 1 leg hops on a soft surface such as sand, grass or thick padded carpet.  The goal is to make your feet stronger so you can get away with less padding in your shoes.

Runners what do ya'll think?

Jeff I agree with the breathing.  One runner around here that helps me a lot says to breath out of your mouth and relax your jaw, just let the air flow out.  Mainly you'll get more air.  A minor theory is the more relaxed you are, the better you will perform, even small jaw muscles.

Karl

2013-01-03 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Karl good work on the continuous 100. Keep working on it and you will get there.

Jeff I have to try what you are suggesting I have messed around with my breathing while running but I never really compared what I was doing to what my actual HR it is. I should mess with this over the weekend on my long trainer ride too just to see if I can influence my HR.

Another subpar session at the pool today. The last two weeks I've only gotten into the pool 2 times for the week as oppossed to 3 and it shows. I swam tired and sluggish yesterday and today. I did however meet a triathlete from California today and he swam like a fish lol. He is visiting his parents out here and he told me both him and his wife were looking to relocate to Wash DC. Tracy you might appreciate this he lives out in Napa but I don't he liked our cold weather here lol. It is pretty cold today he was off to ride his cyclocross bike outdoors. Man I feel guilty now doing my trainer ride indoors and not running today and this guy who is not used to cold weather is riding outdoors! I like running in the cold weather too, I'm such a slacker.

2013-01-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4559635

User image

Bronze member
KWDreamun - 2013-01-03 9:15 AM

Woo Hoo!! Congrats Karl!

2013-01-03 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4559853

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2013-01-03 10:39 AM

I noticed something interesting this morning while running on the treadmill.  My feet are especially painful today so I kept the entire 5 mile run at only 6.5 mph just to give things a break.  Yesterday was a double run which is why they are worse today.  (but that's not my point)

So my HR began in the low 120s and made its way up to 130 as I finished, but a few seconds before I finished, I began to think about my breathing.  Unconsciously I was controlling my breathing.  In slowly over about 4 steps and then out slowly over the same amount of time.  Yet I had a slight sensation of oxygen deprivation.  So I began to breath faster and my HR dropped to 125 in only about 5 seconds.

How do you all breath when running or even cycling? (or swimming for that matter)

I first began to play with this last season and realized on the bike that when I would just let my exhale go and almost 'over breath' that I felt so much better at or near threshold.  Rather than controlling my exhale, I just relax and let it 'fall' out on it's own.  The lungs empty faster than when I control it and I seem to get dramatically more CO2 out and feel so much better.

I propose a little experiment for you all.  Next time you are on a stationary bike or a treadmill (and monitoring heart rate) play around with your breathing technique and rate and see what your HR does.

Interesting, I've never focused on that but I don't typically wear a HR monitor when I run either. I'll give it a shot.

2013-01-03 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4560156

User image

Bronze member
strikyr - 2013-01-03 12:50 PM

Karl good work on the continuous 100. Keep working on it and you will get there.

Jeff I have to try what you are suggesting I have messed around with my breathing while running but I never really compared what I was doing to what my actual HR it is. I should mess with this over the weekend on my long trainer ride too just to see if I can influence my HR.

Another subpar session at the pool today. The last two weeks I've only gotten into the pool 2 times for the week as oppossed to 3 and it shows. I swam tired and sluggish yesterday and today. I did however meet a triathlete from California today and he swam like a fish lol. He is visiting his parents out here and he told me both him and his wife were looking to relocate to Wash DC. Tracy you might appreciate this he lives out in Napa but I don't he liked our cold weather here lol. It is pretty cold today he was off to ride his cyclocross bike outdoors. Man I feel guilty now doing my trainer ride indoors and not running today and this guy who is not used to cold weather is riding outdoors! I like running in the cold weather too, I'm such a slacker.

Umm, if you are a slacker then I'm a total slug. I don't even think for one second about going outside to run or ride. We still have snow all over the sidewalks here. I know I could put my cleats on my running shoes but it's not worth the risk of injury to me. It does not matter if you are inside or outside as long as you keep on moving! Hope your next swim feels better for you.

2013-01-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4557906

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
JeffY - 2013-01-02 12:23 PM

Hello everyone.  As Dirk already mentioned I tend to stay away from computers when I'm not at work and I've been on vacation since the Friday before Christmas.  I have read up quite a way, through page 10 I think but if I wait until I get completely caught up to post, I might actually never post!

Jen, you are asking about Nationals....I am fairly confident in saying that qualifying for it is NOT an opportunity you won't have again.  If the experience appeals to you, then by all means do it.  If you would prefer to do nationals some day, but not this year then you will surely qualify again if you stay committed to triathlon.

To the Dad to be:  I went through exactly your scenario.  After the birth of our 3rd child my ex-wife went from part-time to full-time Mom.  Every one is different, but when she became a full-time Mom it didn't lighten the load on me at all.  After a night short on sleep and a solid 10 hours with a baby your wife will likely be hoping you will give her a few hours break rather than be out training. 

Definitely discuss it with her and don't make the mistake of thinking her days at home are any easier than her days working outside the home.

See if you can take your child with you to the gym?  My YMCA's all have child care, even for 6 week old infants.  If you were to go in for a workout and could take your baby, your wife would love that. (except sometimes with the 1st child especially parents don't want to leave them in the care of strangers)

Thanks for the input about Nationals - everyone's comments have been very helpful on this subject. I will be making a decision this month. Since I am new to the sport and my husband appreciates my tri talk as much I enjoy his golf talk, I know better than to drag on and on about tri stuff with him. If there was a 24-hr tri channel on tv like there is a Golf channel, he would be in trouble though.

I'm a mom of a 2-yr old and 4-yr old. My husband is in law enforcement and works out of town - he is gone more than half the week and I am left to keep everything moving along at home while working full time myself, training, and keeping the girls on their schedule. I appreciate your input regarding late nights. I still have those when the girls are sick and am so appreciative when my husband provides relief when he is home. Words cannot express how grateful mommies are when daddy takes over.

2013-01-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4558016

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
strikyr - 2013-01-02 1:01 PM
trigal38 - 2013-01-02 11:21 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-02 10:17 AM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-01 11:25 PM

Quick recap on this morning's Half Marathon:

I posted a short race report.

My IT Band tightened up on mile 4. The run consisted of three loops on the bike path. Each loop coming back caused discomfort on my right knee, I know the bike path is uneven and am wondering if the ground was lower (drainage) and therefore I struggled with each lap? Once my knee tightened up I concentrated on running easy and enjoying the scenery. Perhaps I should have stopped all together, but I could not bring myself to do that.

Around mile 9, my body ran out of fuel. Flying cross country the day before, not getting much sleep the two nights prior and not eating/fueling enough caught up to me - I know that is exactly what happened. I didn't beat myself up about it though. The mere fact that I flew across the country with two little munchkins and basically had a 22 hour day on 3 hours sleep and still made it to the race location to run 13.1 miles, is more than many would consider doing.

My total run time - 2:06:56.

Hey, all I can say is awesome job getting that run done with!  I think that 2:06 is certainly respectable given the circumstances.  Nice job!  Now go enjoy the vacation!  And remember to massage and stretch those IT bands.

x2 - I would have been a zombie under those conditions. Great job!

X3, great job Jen for hanging in there and toughing it out especially considering all the circumstances. You'll look back o this race and appreciate it more since you had to tough it out to finish. That 2:06 is 3 minutes better than my best at the HM I was healthy for the two I ran lol.

Thanks everyone. Glad to share my race with you guys. I was pretty much a zombie after the run and finally am feeling adjusted and rested today. Now I am ready to eat my way through some tasty food over the next few days. I visited the local YMCA yesterday and am hoping to get a swim in tomorrow or Monday.

2013-01-03 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4558259

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

wbayek - 2013-01-02 2:54 PM Jen, I have to say I'm impressed powering through those issues to finish the half.  This is a case where the time be damned, that was a HELLUVA race.

Thank you. Knowing that whatever time I posted on 1.1.2013 would be a Half Marathon time I would want to beat by the end of 2013, made it realistic to slow down and run easy.

2013-01-03 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4560134

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
KWDreamun - 2013-01-03 12:36 PM

I just watched a site on youtube about keeping your feet strong.  It is as simple as doing 1 leg hops on a soft surface such as sand, grass or thick padded carpet.  The goal is to make your feet stronger so you can get away with less padding in your shoes.

Runners what do ya'll think?

Jeff I agree with the breathing.  One runner around here that helps me a lot says to breath out of your mouth and relax your jaw, just let the air flow out.  Mainly you'll get more air.  A minor theory is the more relaxed you are, the better you will perform, even small jaw muscles.

Karl

1 leg hops will definitely be done on the forefoot.  It will challenge the calf/achilles/arch.  It would be good preparation for transitioning to forefoot running.  But your normal gait probably has you landing on your heel and I don't think a non-impact hopping program 'strengthens' your bones and joints (above the ankle) for greater levels of impact.

That is, except for indirectly, by virtue of strengthening lower leg muscles so they absorb more of the shock of impact just because they will be more dense.

It is most certainly a good exercise for leg strength though.  And doing it on sand or grass will also indirectly strengthen the stabilizing muscles of the lower leg because the ground will be uneven and will reqjuire lateral stabilizers to control ankle roll.

I think doing barefoot running drills is the best way get ready for shoes with less padding (if you want this).  When you run barefoot you get so much feedback upon impact that you will naturally run soft.  And this should be done on a harder surface rather than a soft one.  But not a surface with dangers for your feet....I suggest a treadmill or a running track. 

As you run barefoot on one of these surfaces focus on trying to find silence.  If you don't hear the feet landing (or make it minimal) you will be running with very little impact.  But resist the temptation to run barefoot on the toes.  Try to keep both the heel and toes at least equally weighted when you come down.  This is because it's mostly the barefoot heel landing that teaches you to run lightly.

Do that often enough (in short amounts) and you will be able to memorize the technique and use it when running in shoes too.  It's not as easy as you'd think to use that form in shoes because the shoes remove the tactile feedback that helps you run softly.

2013-01-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4558290

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
JeffY - 2013-01-02 3:08 PM
wbayek - 2013-01-02 1:56 PM
JeffY - 2013-01-02 12:40 PM

I took a day off from training to do this for her...so she knows I love her!!

Wow, I didn't think ANYTHING could get you to take a day off - this will leave a lasting impression.  And I agree with Dirk, that looks like a nasty job.

Yep, but at least I don't have to replace the heater core.  I've never done that and hope I never have to.  I have removed the dash from my '70 GTO (years ago), but haven't put it back in yet.  That's a lot of work!  It would be twice as much in a newer car.

I was stopped cold turkey when I read '70 GTO. I have a 2005 Pontiac GTO and she is one high maintenance ride. Seemed like everything wanted to go wrong with the car in 2008. I hope she is grateful that you took a training day off to fix her car.  

2013-01-03 3:57 PM

User image

Bronze member

I kind of hate to mention this with so many people in the group struggling with swimming but I actually had a great day in the pool. I finally got my 50's down to 40 seconds and my 100's back down to 1:25 for the first time in, well, I don't know how long but a really long time.

I have been killing myself to stay around 1:30/100 all fall. I mean staring at the water, preparing to enter the pain cave, then swimming so hard I thought I might blow up right there in the pool. So the best part was I was not killing myself to hit these times today! The first 100 I thought was a fluke - 1:27. I did not even go all out. The workout said I was supposed to do a 200 but I switched it out for 2 more 100's instead and the next was 1:25, the last 1:26!

I don't make a lot of progress anymore so I was pretty excited .

2013-01-03 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4560588

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
trigal38 - 2013-01-03 4:27 PM
KWDreamun - 2013-01-03 9:15 AM

Woo Hoo!! Congrats Karl!

2x the Congrats! Maybe keep doing 100 yds at a time?

2013-01-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4560675

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
trigal38 - 2013-01-03 4:57 PM

I kind of hate to mention this with so many people in the group struggling with swimming but I actually had a great day in the pool. I finally got my 50's down to 40 seconds and my 100's back down to 1:25 for the first time in, well, I don't know how long but a really long time.

I have been killing myself to stay around 1:30/100 all fall. I mean staring at the water, preparing to enter the pain cave, then swimming so hard I thought I might blow up right there in the pool. So the best part was I was not killing myself to hit these times today! The first 100 I thought was a fluke - 1:27. I did not even go all out. The workout said I was supposed to do a 200 but I switched it out for 2 more 100's instead and the next was 1:25, the last 1:26!

Congrats! I think that's awesome and please post more if you have great swims. I don't feel that my swim is awful, but I have a long way to go. Since I concentrate more on vloume building, I rarely bring a watch or time my laps or anything. I still just get in and swim. Your post inspires me! Great job!

2013-01-03 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Just took a look at my 2012 totals.

Bike: 

I typically log only miles when I ride outside and only time when I ride inside, so it is the mileage + the time.

1454.00 Mi 

182h 03m  (equivalent to about 3640 miles)

so about like 5000 miles.

Run:

1680.83 Mi 

Swim: 

223,205 M

Pretty cool!

2013-01-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4560680

User image

Bronze member
jenbmosley - 2013-01-03 4:01 PM
trigal38 - 2013-01-03 4:57 PM

Congrats! I think that's awesome and please post more if you have great swims. I don't feel that my swim is awful, but I have a long way to go. Since I concentrate more on vloume building, I rarely bring a watch or time my laps or anything. I still just get in and swim. Your post inspires me! Great job!

Well I should mention that I've been at this swimming for fitness thing for 11 years now! When I started out swimming it was just for exercise because the pool was really close to my work. I never timed anything and swam everything in sets of 10 laps. All I ever did was build distance. Eventually I hit 2 miles and thought well now what? I joined a beginners swimming class to learn other strokes so that was my next challenge. Then we moved, I joined another class that just happened to be full of triathletes. That was 5 years ago and the rest is history!

2013-01-03 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4560704

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2013-01-03 4:14 PM

Just took a look at my 2012 totals.

Bike: 

I typically log only miles when I ride outside and only time when I ride inside, so it is the mileage + the time.

1454.00 Mi 

182h 03m  (equivalent to about 3640 miles)

so about like 5000 miles.

Run:

1680.83 Mi 

Swim: 

223,205 M

Pretty cool!

MACHINE!!!!!

2013-01-03 4:54 PM

User image

Bronze member
OH! and before I forget, for all the Junkies with dogs, if your dog needs some chew toys our local PetSmart had all of their Christmas themed dog treats, stockings full of chew toys/rawhide chews on clearance 75% off when I was in their today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119