BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4569540

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
Meulen - 2013-01-09 9:00 AM
bdenehy - 2013-01-09 7:23 AM
Meulen - 2013-01-08 3:50 PM

I just booked my hotel for training camp in Monteray, CA today.  I'm pretty pumped to do this camp with my coach.  Gonna hurt, getting out of IL and into those mountains!!!!! Sealed

That sounds great Brian! How long will you be out there?

4 days of training in the mountains.  2 of the rides are over 100 miles!! Sealed The Sea Otter is going on when we arrive.  Some of the crew will be racing in that.  There is a bunch of different bike disciplines to race at that event.  I'm going to hit up the expo and skip the racing though.  The only race I had interest in was an MTB race, and I don't feel like shipping 2 bikes out there.

Just being around all that cycling should be motivating and a great start to the outside season!

2013-01-09 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4569552

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Mission2be - 2013-01-09 9:10 AM

kenj - 2013-01-08 6:20 PM To those of you headed to Disney for your races, safe travels!!  Let us know if you can or will be checking in while you are there! 

Thank you!!! I sure will be checking in. Ill be lounging around on Saturday so what better way then to continue race/train planning!!

Don't forget to stay hydrated!! It looks like it is going to be warm there this weekend!  I am a bit jealous, when I did Goofy in 2010 it SNOWED during the half on Saturday and was 24 degrees at the start of the race Sunday and never went above freezing.  I have been asked not to return Wink!  Enjoy yourselves!

2013-01-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Jennifer, I'm a lot like you when it comes to bike maintenance.

I can now change a tire. I do better with one on one instruction, so I had someone show me how to do it on my bike, and then I just did it over and over again one evening in front of the TV until I got faster.  It helps that I live in the goathead capital of the world and get lots of practice out on rides, too.  I'm now teaching my other tri buddies how to change their tires and we are going to have tire changing races one day this winter.

I also wipe down my bike and look for cracks in the frame and lube the chain when I remember.  Other than that, it goes to the professional.  I'm gonna try the You Tube videos now, too, though.

-Jaime

2013-01-09 10:07 AM

User image

Mission2be--Go, you Goofy woman, go! 
2013-01-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4569504

User image

Master
Sin City
jennifer65 - 2013-01-09 5:43 AM

Can anyone recommend any books/internet sites that describe road bike maintenance for an absolute beginner?  I admit that in the last 2 years I have treated my, rather nice, trek bike like my car, ie got on it rode, around then put it away.  I have had it serviced a couple of times but anything else my partner has dealt with (he likes using spanners - I let him). However there are a couple of reasons I need to change my ways,

a) this is the first year I have redden my bike outside in the winter. It is getting horrendously muddy. This wouldn't be so bad if the frame wasn't white or I didn't have to man handle it in and out of my car every so often. Also - I notice that in general, triathletes seem very hot on keeping their bikes clean.  I have washed it down a couple of times now with weak detergent but I don't know if it's ok to wash down the cables and I can't get in around the chain, and should I be mixing detergent with oil?  I have sent off for some 'muc-off' from the internet

b) On reading autobiographies and race reports on here it seems that flat tires/ bike problems are not unusual on long races - I do need to learn how to put my chain beck on/ change an inner tube at the very least.

I treat my bike better than I treat my car...don't feel bad. :D

I recommend Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, or Bicycle Magazine's Bike Maintenance.   Those two books is a little bit MORE than what you need seriously. 

DO NOT use detergent OR OIL! It can ruin your chains/cable and the frame. I'm sure you did the detergent weak enough, but still, it's not a good idea.  

Get ZEP Orange Degreaser instead.   Go outside and hook up your bike to a bike stand or trainer. I use my trainer when I clean my bike and I make sure that I take my bike off the trainer to wash it off, if it's that bad.  Get lots of Terry towels. You will want to work on the dirtiest part of the bike - the chain/derailleurs (there's plenty of YouTube videos on this). Then work your way into the derailleurs, your chain rings, then your frame. You can spray the degreaser on the Terry Towel and wipe it down with any spots that are really bad such as the bottom of your bike at the BB, the chainstays, etc.  With a CLEAN towel, make it wet, then just give it another wash down with just water (just to help get rid of any film left over from the degreaser) as well as wiping down the rest of the frame.  Dry with towel at the same time as it can leave water marks...think wax on, wax off. :D     Very rarely I spray down my bike, only if it's really dirty.    

After that, lube your chain (I recommend White Lightening Dry Lube.  The wet lube will just muddy up your chain very quickly, and it's good for wet weather, cold, etc.  Not Vegas because of all the desert sand/dirt that sticks to it like crazy. 

Then I give my bike a spray down with Finish Line Showroom and Protectant (you spray it on your frame, then wait a min or two, then wipe down with clean terry cloth), it gives my bike a shiny look. 

To Maintain the cleaniness, grab a terry cloth, and just give it a wipe down wherever you see dirt.  Because o the Showroom and Protectant AND using the degreaser, it sort of acts like teflon, and it's very easy to wipe down dirt/grease spots. 

You do want to keep cleaning the chain once every 3-5 rides (depending on how long, how dirty, etc). And lube it after every time you clean the chain.  

I don't know what you mean by "I can't get in around the chain."   I rarely ever touch my cables, if I do, I just give it a wipe down with the clean cloth without degreaser or water.  

If you really are feeling a little awkward, I suggest you go to your favorite LBS, and ask them to spend some time with them, and have them show you exactly how to clean your bike.  You can ask them to check your chain length. I didn't realize that my chain was so stretched out until I got a new wheelset and the chain was making a horrible noise. Turned out they didn't realize that as well because my chain was always so clean. LOL! Some LBS do offer maintenance class, that's how I learned all of this...not by books. :-)

Good luck!! I LOVE cleaning my bike!! If only I can give my car more TLC. 

As for the chain dropping/changing inner tube - again, ask LBS if they have a bike maintenance class.  It is most likely will be covered there as well.  I've done it a few times and I won 2nd place for fastest changing of the tube and got a nice gift certificate for the bike shop.  

Most of the time, I think people drop their chains on the hills when going from large ring to small ring (front), when they're in their hardest gear.  It's a knowledge of gear shifting issue (human based), not the bike.  You should always have your bike checked before your races and ride it once prior to your race (let someone else give it a check through...you've been training and stressing out with the race that you may not pay attention to details). 

Edited by CyborgQueen 2013-01-09 11:29 AM
2013-01-09 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Am I the only one that hates to clean their bike? Last time I cleaned it - I screwed up the chain and ended up bending the derailleur (don't ask me how I have no idea!) - had to take it in to the LBS to fix. Maybe with my new bike I will be a little more attentive.

In my experience changing a flat for the first time was really hard - however after a few times it kind of clicks and gets way easier!

Day off today!  I did have a 45 min run that I decided to change to Fri (my original rest day) as legs are feeling really fatigued after the long trainer ride and masters skate ski yesterday.

Happy Wednesday!

2013-01-09 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Thanks everyone on the advise on how to clean their bikes!  I will have to bookmark this page for future reference!
2013-01-09 1:11 PM

User image

Heart Rate training question...

I am testing this week for the first time since last March.  On my bike test this morning (30 min time trial) my average HR was 180 compared to 163 last time.  Course was the same although perhaps a little breezier.  Pace was faster.  Just curious, does this mean I am in better shape than last time testing?  Worse?  What does a higher average HR mean? (other than the fact that all my zones move up!

I KNOW!  It means I'm getting younger, right?  Something about max HR going down with age? 

2013-01-09 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I hate to clean my bike too! I like having it clean, but because my knowledge is lacking, I'm sort of afraid to mess it up. Maybe I should say bike mainantence is my weakest sport?? I've also never changed a flat (never had one on any of my bikes), other than it sitting too long & simply needing to air it up. I know I should just pretend it's flat & practice, but I've neglected to do so. I've watched someone, but I know that doesn't count! It's really something I need to read up on, thanks for all the great resources everyone. I need to check & see if any of our LBSs' offer classes or I have a neighbor that is really knowledgable, so I could have him come over & show me when it warms up.

No trouble with workouts this week, except I keep putting off my 2 pool workouts. The pool is at a different location then where I go for my am workouts, & I keep finding excuses to put it off. Now I have to go Thurs & Fri!! Hoping by putting it here, I'll actually go!!
2013-01-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4570247

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
RunningJoke - 2013-01-09 1:11 PM

I am testing this week for the first time since last March.  On my bike test this morning (30 min time trial) my average HR was 180 compared to 163 last time.  Course was the same although perhaps a little breezier.  Pace was faster.  Just curious, does this mean I am in better shape than last time testing?  Worse?  What does a higher average HR mean? (other than the fact that all my zones move up!

I KNOW!  It means I'm getting younger, right?  Something about max HR going down with age? 

Means you didn't work hard enough last time!  

If these were all out tests than something might have went wrong with the HR reading.  It doesn't seem right.  180 is pretty high for an avg.  Possible, but very high, especially taking into account your last reading.  

*edit*-Just to clarify, you shouldn't see big changes in HR.  What should change is your speed, or amount of performance you get at a given HR.

Edited by Meulen 2013-01-09 1:30 PM
2013-01-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4567232

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Kath2163 - 2013-01-07 9:51 PM

Omahabritt - 2013-01-05 9:07 PM Kathleen--I did HIM Kansas last year, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. It was a very tough day, but honestly the swim was the easiest of the 3, & it's by far my worst discipline!! I still had a great time, & will do it again if I can work it in my schedule. I'm also doing IMWI this year as are a couple more in the group. Welcome! Still trying to pick a training plan for my IM. So I bought "Be Iron Fit" for my Kindle & it looks like there's only 2 swim workouts a week??? That really doesn't seem like enough. For my HIM it was usually 3 (sometimes more) per week. Thoughts? I'm slow, don't have a swimming background, but felt like the frequency I did last year made me well prepared, not sure if I want to take a chance with fewer swim workouts.

Thank you!

I would love to chat with you about Kansas. Just the logistics seem a bit more complex for this race.

PM me anytime with any questions you have.

I would highly recommend getting a campsite. We had a hotel too, but having a dedicated, shady place for my husband & kids to hang out during the race was great. Next time we will all stay at the site the night before (just I did last year), but I'll have my own tent. They close the park early to traffic & even earlier to the campsite, so my saint of a husband had to get 2 kids up, checked out & drove to the park at 4am. He pulled in just as my alarm went off!

2013-01-09 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-09 2:11 PM

Well, you might have a point about the age because if my HR hit 180, pretty good chance I would flat line next.

I agree with Brian, there is something wrong here.  Ideally, your HR would go down to accomplish the same result.  Since you mentioned the wind and the speed on the same course, it is tough to gauge your fitness between the two as the conditions changed.  The fact that you held a faster pace in the wind would be an indication of better fitness, but since your HR was elevated compared to the original test last March it is an indication that it took a bigger effort to accomplish this result. 

My first guess is that the HR monitor may not be working properly as that is an extremely high avg., especially compared to March.  You may want to wait a week or 2 and try the test again.  The other thing that effects HR is humidity, hydration level, and temperature. 

This is an excellent topic that is a bit confusing.  Keep the questions coming.  Also, there is an excellent article on BT, that I need to find the link to from Mike Ricci, the coach that wrote many of the plans on BT.  It is about how 220 minus age is not the best way to determine your HR zones.

2013-01-09 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Hi all,

I am still fighting this miserable cold or whatever I have.  I have not been sleeping at night.  I emphasize at night, because yesterday morning, I feel back asleep after my alarm went off and I was late for work, and just now I was trying to catch up on a bunch of back pages of posts and I actually nodded off here at my desk.  Maybe it is time to see the doctor...

The spreadsheet of races is awesome and I will add mine when I get a chance.

I did firm up plans with my coach for the Beach2Battleship full.  I really think she is as excited for me as I am!  Her confidence in me really helps!

Karen

2013-01-09 3:20 PM

User image

Well, average was actually 170 (typo in earlier post), but I think it's correct.  I hit 189 regularly on hard parts of sufferfest videos on the trainer.  My max ever was 200, but that was doing CPR on a gunshot victim I happened upon on the side of the trail this summer.  I'm 36 years old, so that max seems pretty high to me, too, but it doesn't seem to be getting lower!

Last spring when I tested I was in great shape for running but a beginner on the bike.  This year I've worked a ton on the bike and I'm not in great running shape.  So now that I've had time to think more about it I'm hypothesizing that my bike skills were my limit last year as opposed to my heart rate.  Does that seem possible?

2013-01-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4570407

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-09 3:08 PM

Hi all,

I am still fighting this miserable cold or whatever I have.  I have not been sleeping at night.  I emphasize at night, because yesterday morning, I feel back asleep after my alarm went off and I was late for work, and just now I was trying to catch up on a bunch of back pages of posts and I actually nodded off here at my desk.  Maybe it is time to see the doctor...

I did firm up plans with my coach for the Beach2Battleship full.  I really think she is as excited for me as I am!  Her confidence in me really helps!

Karen

The bug going around this year is certainly a persistent one!  I hope you get it out of your system soon Karen!

Glad your coach is on board for your B2B training!  Enjoy the journey Karen!

2013-01-09 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4570598

User image

Veteran
RunningJoke - 2013-01-09 4:20 PM

Well, average was actually 170 (typo in earlier post), but I think it's correct.  I hit 189 regularly on hard parts of sufferfest videos on the trainer.  My max ever was 200, but that was doing CPR on a gunshot victim I happened upon on the side of the trail this summer.  I'm 36 years old, so that max seems pretty high to me, too, but it doesn't seem to be getting lower!

Last spring when I tested I was in great shape for running but a beginner on the bike.  This year I've worked a ton on the bike and I'm not in great running shape.  So now that I've had time to think more about it I'm hypothesizing that my bike skills were my limit last year as opposed to my heart rate.  Does that seem possible?

I am not an expert on heart rate, but what I read and experienced my self was an elevated average heart rate base on being tired from a few weeks worth of accumulated exercise. I rode the same course two weeks apart with the same average miles per hour, but a higher heart rate on the second ride. What that After some reading I learned that I wad pushed it pretty hard that entire week to my heart as a muscle was fatigued and was working harder to maintain the same level.

2013-01-09 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
RunningJoke - 2013-01-09 11:11 AM

I looked at your logs, and you have your HR avg at 170 and max is 184. Something is off there, as I believe there should be a bigger gap between the avg and the max. If your HR hits 184 just for ONE second, it's recorded as max. I never pay attention to the max HR because it's not really important (at least to me it's not because if you hit your HR strap or had a hard hill, it will record a 190 or even a 200 while for a normal ride, my HR won't reach that...hope that kind of make sense).   

Also - are you looking at the AVG HR during your 30 minute test? Max HR doesn't count, only avg.   I would do the test again in a couple weeks and see what comes up. Keep wearing your HR monitor and see if you see any disparities. TYPICALLY - someone that does the runs for the same amount of RPE (ie - Easy, Zone 2), the avg HR is HIGHER than the bike HR avg  (I could be really wrong, so if anyone disagrees, please correct me.  I notice this for my runs and quite a few other people's run/bike HR). 

I would question the HR avg, something is off...

2013-01-09 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4570407

User image

Veteran
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-09 3:08 PM

Hi all,

Karen

I definitely feel your pain. I still feel pretty bad and tonight is our family night to go out to dinner, but will still try my best to get at least 45 minutes on the trainer. I really miss running at this point (sounds weird for me to say that) but I am looking forward to the weekend and feeling better by then.

I am interested to see how your coach approaches the year in training for the B2B.
2013-01-09 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-09 4:20 PM

The 170 makes more sense.  I have found that my max HR on the bike and the run are miles apart.  For 5k races I routinely avg. around 165 - 168.  I rarely get out of the 150's on the bike even on long climbs on hot days.  So to respond to your last statement, yes your legs and bike skills can be more of a limiter than your HR on the bike.  It may well still be even with the improvement. 

Some people have more carry over from bike to run and vice versa than others with fitness.  But, until you get a solid bike base, the muscle memory and adaptation will create a limit that can only be over come by time in the saddle.  Fortunately riding is fun! Keep up the great work!

2013-01-09 3:31 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
RunningJoke - 2013-01-09 3:20 PM

170 sounds better!   But I still think you just didn't go out hard enough last time.  The little differences could be conditions or stress or whatever, but in general your HR s/b pretty constant.  The performance is what changes.  If you're fatigued your resting HR will be a bit higher but, for me when I'm really fatigued, I can't even get my HR up to normal levels.  Like you and Ken my HR is way different on the bike vs run.  I'm much higher on the run.  You use more muscles on the run so this makes sense.

Edited by Meulen 2013-01-09 3:32 PM
2013-01-10 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning all!!

Almost the weekend!  I had a less than stellar ride on the trainer this morning, but none the less it is done! 

I think that part of my problem this morning was that my bike work is getting both more intense and a little bit longer.  I have always been a morning person and trained predominately in the morning but have not always done a good job with the pre-workout nutrition.  I guess for at least the harder workouts I am going to need to add in some calories. 

2013-01-10 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
I got a good trainer workout last night after 10PM. I took some work home so after it was done I went to the basement and got going. Still not running outside cause of my cold, but I am feeling a little better.
2013-01-10 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4571479

User image

New user
kenj - 2013-01-10 9:09 AM

Good morning all!!

Almost the weekend!  I had a less than stellar ride on the trainer this morning, but none the less it is done! 

I think that part of my problem this morning was that my bike work is getting both more intense and a little bit longer.  I have always been a morning person and trained predominately in the morning but have not always done a good job with the pre-workout nutrition.  I guess for at least the harder workouts I am going to need to add in some calories. 

Great job, Ken! I also have challenges with pre-workout nutrition in the mornings. For short runs, swim or strength workouts, I rarely take in any calories before exercising, and that's usually not a huge problem. As the distances get longer I try to eat something, but it's still a challenge. I'll be interested to hear what you figure out for yourself. My biggest challenge is that I don't have much time between waking up and starting the workout, so I can't really take in too much, especially before something high impact like running.

I had a great run last night, and although my lower back was still tight from over-doing it with dead lifts two days ago, I managed to turn it into a tempo run and felt great at the end. I did not, however, get up for CrossFit this morning--I was so tired, more than usual!

This evening will be my first time in the pool in a LONG time. Checking out a master's group which I may or may not join, but meeting with the coach afterwards to talk about one-on-one help with my swim stroke.

Happy Thursday, everyone!
2013-01-10 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I'm the same way about nutrition pre-workout for early mornings. It seems like if I eat something it doesn't sit well or I use it as an excuse to delay my workout (usually on the weekends). At most I take a drink or two of cold coffee if I'm dragging. On the rare occasion I eat something it's always a banana or a piece of toast w/pb.

Becky, I'm headed to the pool today too (after a too long of an absence). I'll be interested in hearing how it goes! I've thought about joining a masters group, but don't think my husband wants to pay for 3 pools! (Gym, country club in the summer, & masters at a local college). There is a swim group class that meets once a week at the gym, that I may look into. I've always hesitated because my breastroke & butterfly need so much work. I even took private lessons, but it was still pretty laughable.

So I had a sort of odd thought the other day about my aversion to evening workouts (for me anything after 3pm). I'm thinking maybe I should start doing some occasionally. My thinking is that during the IM, I'll essentially be working out in the evening, so I should probably get used to it at some point? Curious if those who have done an IM & don't like eve workouts ever ran into a problem. Maybe I'm over thinking it? (Wouldn't be the first time)

Also, a lot of you seem to do HR based workouts. I didn't last year for simplicity sake, but have been mulling it over for this year. Does it seem to help?
2013-01-10 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4571479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-01-10 9:09 AM

Good morning all!!

Morning nutrition is a tough one...  I'm pretty good at fueling up on race morning because of the time between eating, getting to race site, etc.  But on morning workouts, I doubt I could roll out of bed and eat something before working out.  I tend to run a deficit, then eat an unreasonable amount of calories after Surprised

I'm hitting the time of year that tests my commitment to training.  Aside from my upcoming family duties, I stayed at a hotel near work last night then ran from there.  On the bright side, it way downright balmy and clear here this AM.  I'm hoping my run focus helps with staying consistent. Have running shoes, will travel.  I don't travel for work, but from January-March, tend to stay in hotels a lot.  It allows me to work late, be in early and skip out of 3 1/2 hours of commuting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64