BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-07-02 1:08 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: RE: Race Report--Five Mile Lake Sprint Triathlon
Just doing the two mile. We'll make it a full weekend and visit some friends and do the Charlottesville thing.

Have a 8K on the 4th here in Yorktown. My son and granddaughter will also be here for the weekend so I don't now how much other training I'll get done.

You all have a good 4th and for the Canadians sorry I missed yours yesterday.

2013-07-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Wife and I are going to Southern Pines, NC Thursday morning to run a 5K, after that we're headed to the Lumber river for a Kayak/Camping trip down the Lumber river. That is if it ever stops raining and the river level drops by then. Right now it's in the flood stage. If it doesn't drop, we'll just go camping instead. I'll bring my running shoes and guitar and try to get a little running in. I finally got over the free range dog incident, picked up my bike from the shop yesterday. Now I'm hoping this continuous rain will stop so I can get off the stationary bike and treadmill and get outside!

To everybody: Have a Safe and Happy Independence Day!
2013-07-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dustytrails

Over 100 is not something u can acclimate too, even if u r out there all the time. SCOTT u must b a swimmer, sheesh. LOL

Yep, a swimmer, guilty as charged!  The only thing that happens when you go out and swim in 100+ temperature is you get a better tan!  I don't know that I was trying to acclimate to the heat so much as I was trying to make sure the heat wouldn't kill me. Cool

2013-07-02 4:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: good luck this weekend to those racing

Originally posted by juneapple

All in all though, a nice course and a good workout. 4th out of 15 in age group.

Stu

Good job Stu!

2013-07-02 4:35 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

I won the 55+ age group and was 19th overall out of 193 finisher . . .

. . . I clocked the 5K in 20:09, about a 6:30 pace, and cut about 10 seconds off my run time on the same course from last year.

Steve

Congratulations on winning your age group.  Problem is that is also my age group!  I suppose we will be fine so long as you stay up there and I stay down here!  Smile

I suspect the ONLY way I am going a 6:30 pace is if I take the car...after a tune up!  Good job, I envy the run speed.

My wife and I peddled around Lake Washington and the surrounding hills. Granted, I looked a little goofy just cruising along in my aero helmet and TT bike, but it was all I had on the road trip so it was that or nothing.

The ensemble would have been complete with Bermuda shorts and flip-flops!  LOL

2013-07-02 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Hi All:

I had a good sprint race on Saturday and then a very nice 90 minute recovery peddle around Bellevue, Washington on Sunday. My wife and I peddled around Lake Washington and the surrounding hills. Granted, I looked a little goofy just cruising along in my aero helmet and TT bike, but it was all I had on the road trip so it was that or nothing. But, it was a spectacular weekend in the northwest. When the weather is good here it's really hard to beat.

The race was fun. I won the 55+ age group and was 19th overall out of 193 finishers. The swim was short (450 yards or so) and I was decent (44th), which for me is actually good. I really screwed up starting out on the bike as I threw my chain not once, but TWICE. Talk about frustrating. I lost a bunch of time as a guy I beat out of transition by about 30 seconds passed me while I was standing over my bike putting the chain back on. It took me about 3 miles to catch him. But even with that I knocked about 15 seconds off my time from last year (22nd). I had very good run (21st). I clocked the 5K in 20:09, about a 6:30 pace, and cut about 10 seconds off my run time on the same course from last year. So, I was very happy about that. Overall, I was faster over last year in every segment of the race including the transitions, which gave me a time improvement of 1:22. Without the goofiness on the chain I would have had a spectacular race and knocked 2 minutes off my time. Cie la vie.

Next race for me is the Chelanman Olympic on July 20. So, two weeks of solid training coming up before leading into another taper.

Best of all, the Tour de France is back!

Have fun out there!

PS--Weight: 161.5

Steve

Wow! Congratulations on the race! You did so well!

2013-07-02 4:37 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: The Week Ahead
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Last weigh in is next Sunday.

Hope everyone has a good week!

My weight was actually 144. It has pretty much held there sooo....Congratulations Dusty!
2013-07-02 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: good luck this weekend to those racing

Hand never left the gear shifter for long.

Stu

I need to learn how to use my gear better. I am not an efficient biker. But congrats on getting it done!

Went on a group ride Sunday. The temps finally dropped here into the 80s and it was a great ride. Planning another ride on July 4th with a friend. Need to get back to swimming, too. Maybe I'll do that on Thursday as well. Run scheduled for tomorrow. Did Spin this morning.
2013-07-02 4:51 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Best of all, the Tour de France is back!

Steve

I believe that is the precise reason that DVR's were created isn't it?

I saw a pre Tour de France show last week where they were talking about the different favorites.  During the show they said that Cadel Evans FTP is over 375 watts.  That certainly put my 225 watts into perspective!  Guess that is why he can go over 45 mph and I can barely manage 25.

2013-07-02 4:54 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

CONGRATS!!!! The winner of the Black Dog mug is Dustytrails.

Congratulations!

So are you going to celebrate with a Hot Fudge Sundae?  LOL.

2013-07-02 5:07 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Track work Tuesday

. . . And as always, be CAREFUL on the track. It's extremely stressful on grey guy/girl legs. Any twinges of pain (other than aerobic discomfort) and the workout should be terminated.

Steve

OK, so now I am confused and I fear about to show my running naivety.  I have always been under the impression that it is easier on the joints to run on a track because it is 'softer.'  Is that not the case?  There is a park close by the house that has a 1/4 mile dirt track.  I alternate running there and with a 2-mile asphalt loop.  I can feel my foot slipping on the track, but feel the impact more on the asphalt.

So which is the 'preferred' surface to run on?  I still run about 50% of the time on asphalt since most races are on the road, i.e. asphalt, so I figure I should be training on that.  How off base am I here?

And specifically, why is a track "extremely stressful on grey guy/girl legs?"

2013-07-02 9:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by Bull

I'll bring my running shoes and guitar and try to get a little running in.

I saw this and immediately thought of a running guitar player - too funny!

Moving on to a more serious note this reminded me of your accident:

In the Tour de France 2nd stage on Sunday another stupid minded dog owner had his dog off leash and almost messed up the entire race. In the final sprint with 100 feet to the finish line this dog runs out onto the street right after the two leaders went by and almost sent the entire peloton crashing, the dog and owner just got out of the way by a fraction of a second. The dog probably would have gottten killed because the pack was going so fast and god knows what would have happened to the riders. What a freaking idiot, what was he thinking having a dog off leash in that crowd. Sometimes I think the world is filled with morons.

Anyway I am glad you are feeling better, have a great 4th!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-07-02 9:26 PM
2013-07-03 4:03 AM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
I can barely play guitar sitting comfortably on my butt. LOL. Looks like the rain isn't going to let up here until tomorrow, so the kayak trip down the river probably won't happen. In my younger days, kayaking a swollen river might have been a challenge, at 55 it's just plain stupid. Yesterday got a four mile run in the morning and managed to get in a 2500 yard swim in the evening.
2013-07-03 11:06 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

. . . And as always, be CAREFUL on the track. It's extremely stressful on grey guy/girl legs. Any twinges of pain (other than aerobic discomfort) and the workout should be terminated.

Steve

OK, so now I am confused and I fear about to show my running naivety.  I have always been under the impression that it is easier on the joints to run on a track because it is 'softer.'  Is that not the case?  There is a park close by the house that has a 1/4 mile dirt track.  I alternate running there and with a 2-mile asphalt loop.  I can feel my foot slipping on the track, but feel the impact more on the asphalt.

So which is the 'preferred' surface to run on?  I still run about 50% of the time on asphalt since most races are on the road, i.e. asphalt, so I figure I should be training on that.  How off base am I here?

Scott--

You're right, the track is soft and generally easier on the legs. Softer surfaces overall are the preferred way to go, especially as the mileage builds up and you get into marathon training. So, asphalt beats concrete, gravel beats asphalt, trails beat gravel and top track surfaces beat trails (some tracks are basically asphalt). Of course, the challenge is it would be brutally boring to do a weekend long run of 15 miles by making 60 quarter mile circles on a track. But then you're a swimmer, so after all those hours staring at a black line on the bottom of a pool, you may be immune to track boredom.

That said, what I was referring to on the "extremely stressful" comment was not the surface but the pace. Running a faster pace, especially well above race pace, taxes the muscles and joints--even the abs--much differently than when you're just plugging along at your normal cruiser pace. It's very easy (particularly for us aging baby boomers) to break down because at the higher pace your body starts calling for energy production to achieve speed from muscles/ligaments/joints that must be engaged differently than when you are running slower. Typically when you run fast your foot strike changes moving from a heel strike to midfoot (shifting how your legs absorb impact and accelerate) and your turnover rate goes up all of which create new stresses to which you're not accustomed. In addition, the track is a circle with a continuous series of left hand turns. Those turns cause additional stress on the joints when running fast due to the repetitive corners you're hitting twice per quarter mile. Especially for the first few trips to the track to run "hard", it's very easy to tweak a muscle or joint.

What I learned over the years is the "tweaks" seem to come on slowly, giving the impression that it's probably not a big deal to keep going to finish the workout. WRONG. That small tweak on interval four morphs into a significant issue by interval 12...then it's 2-3 weeks on the rebound trying to get rid of tendonitis or a muscle pull.

So, the point here is to make sure your track interval paces are appropriate for your current fitness and training goals. This isn't meant to be a workout that is identical to what you do on the road, just shifted to a track. It's meant to teach your body to produce and adapt to speed. And that creates the stress.

Steve
2013-07-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Steve

There are a lot of "depends on" with running. Running is the easiest of the three sports to get injuries in. There is a lot of impact pounding that can create havoc with the joints, ligaments, and muscles. Tracks can be hard on you if they are hard surfaces and if you are running a lot. It's better to run off the track if you're running a lot because all that circling will train different muscles than running straight. The general guidelines are that you should run on a variety of surfaces and try not to run all the time on surfaces that are tilted or curved (ie: don't always run on the same side of the road if it is slanted away from the middle. Don't always run the same direction on circular tracks). If you're race is on asphalt, train a little bit on asphalt. You don't need a lot of time for your legs to get used to the surface and the possibility of stress outweighs the benefits of long periods on the asphalt.
2013-07-04 12:06 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Independence Day!
Happy 4th of July everyone!  Stay safe today.

2013-07-04 12:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Steve

Scott-- You're right, the track is soft and generally easier on the legs. Softer surfaces overall are the preferred way to go, especially as the mileage builds up and you get into marathon training. So, asphalt beats concrete, gravel beats asphalt, trails beat gravel and top track surfaces beat trails (some tracks are basically asphalt). Of course, the challenge is it would be brutally boring to do a weekend long run of 15 miles by making 60 quarter mile circles on a track. But then you're a swimmer, so after all those hours staring at a black line on the bottom of a pool, you may be immune to track boredom.

That said, what I was referring to on the "extremely stressful" comment was not the surface but the pace. Running a faster pace, especially well above race pace, taxes the muscles and joints--even the abs--much differently than when you're just plugging along at your normal cruiser pace. It's very easy (particularly for us aging baby boomers) to break down because at the higher pace your body starts calling for energy production to achieve speed from muscles/ligaments/joints that must be engaged differently than when you are running slower. Typically when you run fast your foot strike changes moving from a heel strike to midfoot (shifting how your legs absorb impact and accelerate) and your turnover rate goes up all of which create new stresses to which you're not accustomed. In addition, the track is a circle with a continuous series of left hand turns. Those turns cause additional stress on the joints when running fast due to the repetitive corners you're hitting twice per quarter mile. Especially for the first few trips to the track to run "hard", it's very easy to tweak a muscle or joint.

What I learned over the years is the "tweaks" seem to come on slowly, giving the impression that it's probably not a big deal to keep going to finish the workout. WRONG. That small tweak on interval four morphs into a significant issue by interval 12...then it's 2-3 weeks on the rebound trying to get rid of tendonitis or a muscle pull.

So, the point here is to make sure your track interval paces are appropriate for your current fitness and training goals. This isn't meant to be a workout that is identical to what you do on the road, just shifted to a track. It's meant to teach your body to produce and adapt to speed. And that creates the stress. Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative response.  Guess I am safe because "Scott" and "fast" are not two words that appear in the same sentence about running!  And yes, I absolutely agree that running around in circles on a track is boring - almost as bad as swimming laps.  Guess I will continue to alternate between the track and the riverbed asphalt loop.  Maybe when I grow up and become a real runner I can find a more intriguing location to run!

2013-07-04 12:28 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by b2run

There are a lot of "depends on" with running. Running is the easiest of the three sports to get injuries in. There is a lot of impact pounding that can create havoc with the joints, ligaments, and muscles. Tracks can be hard on you if they are hard surfaces and if you are running a lot. It's better to run off the track if you're running a lot because all that circling will train different muscles than running straight. The general guidelines are that you should run on a variety of surfaces and try not to run all the time on surfaces that are tilted or curved (ie: don't always run on the same side of the road if it is slanted away from the middle. Don't always run the same direction on circular tracks). If you're race is on asphalt, train a little bit on asphalt. You don't need a lot of time for your legs to get used to the surface and the possibility of stress outweighs the benefits of long periods on the asphalt.

Thank you for helping to clarify all of this for me.

I have been trying to mix up where I run for exactly the reasons you cited.  I know at both of my 'regular' run locations, there are people running in both directions, CW and CCW around the track or around the riverbed asphalt loop.  While both locations are flat and I certainly am not going fast enough to create a bias in the turns, I am going to start alternating the direction I run.  One of my biggest concerns is that I avoid injury.  I figure this 55-year old body will not heal quite as quickly as it did back in the day.

2013-07-04 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Happy 4th
Anyone do anything fun on the 4th....like win a hot dog eating contest?

Nah, me either. But, I had a good solid track workout in the morning, dinner with friends and then kicked back to watch the local firework display.

Good enough for me.

Hope you all had a great holiday!

Steve
2013-07-04 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Happy 4th
Happy 4th Everyone!

I fell off what had been a good nutrition week thus far as one of our good friends brought over some incredible ribs and orzo salad. Best ribs I have ever tasted. I over-indulged for sure. Sometimes it is just so worth it.

Did start the day right with the 4th of July 5K. Logged a 24.55 which is the 1st time under 25 in a 5K in awhile, so I'm happy with that especially since I didn't do any tapering or anything.

Stu
2013-07-05 8:50 AM

User image

Regular

Happy 4th Everyone!

I fell off what had been a good nutrition week thus far as one of our good friends brought over some incredible ribs and orzo salad. Best ribs I have ever tasted. I over-indulged for sure. Sometimes it is just so worth it.

Did start the day right with the 4th of July 5K. Logged a 24.55 which is the 1st time under 25 in a 5K in awhile, so I'm happy with that especially since I didn't do any tapering or anything.

Stu

Hey Stu, the best part of having a fitness regimen is be able to enjoy something like ribs and orzo guilt free because you know you'll burn it off. You didn't fall off....you EARNED those ribs. Congrats on your 5k time!

Steve

2013-07-05 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Anyone do anything fun on the 4th....like win a hot dog eating contest?

Nah, me either. But, I had a good solid track workout in the morning, dinner with friends and then kicked back to watch the local firework display.

Good enough for me.

Hope you all had a great holiday!

Steve

Hope everyone had a great 4th! My day consisted of a 4 mile run and a 26 mile bike ride. It was a beautiful day! The rest of the day was laid back.
2013-07-05 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: whats everyone got on tap this weekend/
congrats steve. thats super fast.

Scott u got all the good advice u need. As for trail running....i found out it makes my neck hurt. Maybe too much looking down and my neck catches a lot of impact somehow. I have been told that running "light on your feet" makes a good trail runner.

My surface of choice is a red rubber high school track..followed by a grassy trail...a dirt road (not too slanted) ...a football field....u get the idea.
I avoid asphalt and granite gravel running trails that are so hard packed it feels like there is a concrete underlayment. LOL

I never run downhill or on concrete and I have NO trouble with my knees.

Doing 8 min. miles on the track has made my sore and tired the next day. I blame it on being old and not doing it enough. But then again....how often can we do track w/o's over fifty? comments invited

-Linda

2013-07-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: whats everyone got on tap this weekend/
Originally posted by dustytrails

Doing 8 min. miles on the track has made my sore and tired the next day. I blame it on being old and not doing it enough. But then again....how often can we do track w/o's over fifty? comments invited

-Linda

Hey Linda:

I usually end up a little sore after a track session. Usually, I'm sore in the calf muscles, sometimes upper quad near the hip flexor. But I've pretty much learned that if I'm setting up my paces correctly, any soreness will be modest and clear in a couple of days. But, the first couple of times out, you're going to feel it a lot more because there is a lot of adaptation required for the faster pace and the corners on the track. I'm doing a track session at a minimum every other week, often every week, so it's really not a shock to my legs any more. However, the first track session of the spring after the snow melts is usually followed by several days of soreness because my legs aren't conditioned for the workout..

I would use the basis of your current 5K or 10K race pace for setting your intervals. The tendency is to run the interval too fast, which makes the issues with soreness worse.

Hang in there!

Steve
2013-07-06 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: track w/o
so i went twice to the track this week. 800 meters race pace...my race is in two weeks so i figure i am just trying to maintain the minimal amount of aerobic conditioning I have. LOL

I will worry about hitting it a little harder after tri season ends.

Would like to do an intermediate distance tri as a relay runner if anyone in Texas needs a runner.

Going to compete vicariously tomorrow as a course marshal for "Tri for old glory" in martindale, Texas.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37