BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
I wasn't getting any email notifications so I thought everyone was laying low here, ha! The new look is hard to navigate! I need to catch up, but bad news here, I won't get to do Xterra Maui. I'm super disappointed. I need to reevaluate. Don't know what I'm going to do, but I don't even feel like training anymore. May just need a day or month to get over it. It's just not the best time financially for us.

Be back later to read the race reports.

2013-05-20 3:43 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Blanda

I wasn't getting any email notifications so I thought everyone was laying low here, ha! The new look is hard to navigate! I need to catch up, but bad news here, I won't get to do Xterra Maui. I'm super disappointed. I need to reevaluate. Don't know what I'm going to do, but I don't even feel like training anymore. May just need a day or month to get over it. It's just not the best time financially for us.

Sorry Blanda - that sucks.

We're in the process of cancelling our November vacation for some of the same reasons and some others. I know it's a bummer but you've still got a great summer to look forward to! Take a week to wallow and then get back to it!!
2013-05-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Great race results, folks!

Randy: Congratulations to your daughter! Aww... they grow so fast.

Randee: I tried to comment on your race result, but couldn't. Great job on that duathlon! 2nd leg of running I can't even feel my legs. EEK! Thanks for the positive words. I hope I don't feel this bad too long.

Scott: That is a huge different! Wind is not our friend.

Sighting: Depends. If the current is strong, every 5-6. If not 6-8ish. I've been able to work out just getting my eyeballs out of the water after I roll my face into it as I reach for my next stroke. I was doing that thing before where I was popping my head and a little of my shoulders out. Exhausting and slowed my roll!

Music: I don't get many chances to use music while training.

Hope you're having a great training week!

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-20 5:35 PM
2013-05-20 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Finally had an xray today and I am here to report that I have four fractured ribs, 4, 5,6 and 7, but no scapular involvement. Boo! Yeah! I'm so conflicted. Sports Med doc told me that I should expect the pain to last several more weeks, offered me Vicadin for at night (which I turned down) and told me to train on with pain as my guide. For now, there is no question that IM is still full steam ahead. I figure if I can run nearly 15m yesterday, I am still viable.

I will be doing only what I can and not what what I would like to do. Can't ride the Parlee for at least another week for fear of falling again (seems my dr and the man question my riding skills) and for some reason backstroke makes me want to cry like a baby so it's out too.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-05-20 7:14 PM
2013-05-20 5:59 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Finally had an xray today and I am here to report that I have four fractured ribs, 4, 5,6 and 7, but no scapular involvement. Boo! Yeah! I'm so conflicted. Sports Med doc told me that I should expect the pain to last several more weeks, offered me Vicadin for at night (which I turned down) and told me to train on with pain as my guide. For now, there is no question that IM is out of the question. I figure if I can run nearly 15m yesterday, I am still viable.

I will be doing only what I can and not what what I would like to do. Can't ride the Parlee for at least another week for fear of falling again (seems my dr and the man question my riding skills) and for some reason backstroke makes me want to cry like a baby so it's out too.

aw man that sucks So sorry.

At least the doc didn't say you can't do anything. Ribs are tough too because there's not much you can do.

Heal up. Sending good thoughts.
2013-05-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Good work for you who raced this weekend.

Sorry for my late race report but yesterday was a fairly busy day for us in Wichita, watching out for tornados and all. Spent a good part of the afternoon in our basement.

Well, my final YMCA Sprint Series is over. Finished last in my age group but there were only six of us. The race consisted of a 400 yd swim, 12 mile bike, 2.8 mile run. My overall time was 1:17. My heart rate was really high for some reason (mid 150's), starting from the very beginning. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed in my performance but I never took any time off before the race so I think that played a role. I'm definitely going to taper down the training prior to my Oly next month.

Put in a 21 mile ride today and a short swim. I think I have finally figured out a 2 kick stroke myself and I definitely feel like I needed an improvement somewhere. It's nice to have it in my weakest area, too. In addition to being more energy efficient, I'm hoping it allows me to push alittle faster too. I have a 1:17 minute run scheduled for tomorrow.

2013-05-20 8:26 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Blanda - I'm so sorry to hear about the race. I was really looking forward to living vicariously throught you in that experience. You have done so well, however, and you have alot to be proud of.

Suzy - Take it easy with those ribs.
2013-05-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda sorry about the Xterra falling through. Get another race on your schedule and get back at it! Take advantage of the work you have done.

Suzy-sorry about the ribs. So, you think IMWI is out with the injury? Its still a good ways out.

Dave-ya'll be careful in the Midwest. So much nasty weather. Hang in there with the training and you willbe fine for the Oly.

On the road early for work tomorrow. Bike in the evening. Killer training week ahead for me.   

2013-05-20 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

New user
Blanda, I am so sorry to hear about your change in plans. I know that has to be a huge disappointment. You have some awesome things you can do though! I always enjoy reading about your adventures! Makes my gym work seem dull! Suzy, I sure hope you find some training that works for you with the rib injuries. Wow, running that far injured is amazing! I had a great swim today. I did 2K for the first time ever! I am slow but very happy with the endurance gains. Brick tomorrow, gonna try for one hour on the bike and 1.5 mile jog after. Ok, wait I AM gonna do that brick, not try!!
2013-05-20 9:33 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Sorry it's been such a long time since I've posted. Work has been crazy and training has been like a circus (in tents)!
I have a lot of catching up to do on reading posts, this group is super active this season!

This week is the final big week of training before the Raleigh Half Ironman. Last week I skipped out on swimming in favor of doing afternoon runs/rides instead. I still have a really hard time of getting up super early for the Master's practices.

This weekend, Jamie and I are going up to Raleigh to camp out with his folks and at the same time do our long training ride/run on the Half IM course. I really like this idea and we are fortunate enough to be able to do a preview like this before we do the actual race!

I've also just started a blog documenting my triathlon training, but as you will read in the first post, it's also a way to help me learn some skills I'm hoping to use in my professional career. Right now, there's not a whole lot of tri-info, but I'll be fixing that as the days go by! Feel free to take a look! I'll probably be shamelessly advertising here as I update with triathlon posts

http://trifunctional.wordpress.com
2013-05-20 10:18 PM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Blanda don't let this set back get the better of you. There will be another race and it will be all the sweeter (and faster) for the extra wait.

Suzy sorry about the broken ribs. Sounds like no fun at all. I can understand why the backstroke would be particularly painful. Try doing he breaststroke. That should put less strain on the ribs. Just shorten up the stroke if you need to. Heal quickly!

2013-05-20 11:16 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Expert

Awesome performances from everyone!!!!!

Karla - I suffer big time from the Ironman bug. I've done Texas twice now and I can definitely attest to the heat. I've done IM Lou a few times as well and it's pretty darn hot too. Despite this, "the IM bug is strong with this one". While I don't have a chance in HE$%$ of KQ'ing, I do hope to get there by completing 12, which if all goes well I will reach this goal after IM AZ this year. For me, the actual IM Race Day is the icing on the cake to all my training.

Well, I had my first long run with the new Hoka shoes. 16.4 miles. I was very impressed with how comfortable they felt on my feet, and and they seemed to make the run feel smooth the entire distance. Since the sole is very thick, I felt as if I had to lift my feet higher off the ground to avoid tripping. This sensation only lasted about a mile or so and then I forgot all about that fear. I had to adjust the lacing a few times and I actually found leaving them tied looser than usual worked best for me. What impressed me most about the Hoka's is how I feel AFTER my run. My legs feel good, no aches and pains at all, just the usual good soreness after a long run. Next I will try them on a shorter distance to compare them to my other shoes. They are the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever bought, but if they make running more enjoyable, and help reduce injury, then this is only a small price to pay. My Verdict: 2 thumbs up!

Tomorrow I am bringing my bike in for some fine tuning on my fit. I'm still experience pain in the left trapezius. Usually comes on after about 30 miles or so. I find the pain very annoying and hope that adjusting my bike will help. I also found some exercises on line which can also help with this issue.

Jim
2013-05-21 4:41 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jimmyb

Well, I had my first long run with the new Hoka shoes. 16.4 miles. I was very impressed with how comfortable they felt on my feet, and and they seemed to make the run feel smooth the entire distance. Since the sole is very thick, I felt as if I had to lift my feet higher off the ground to avoid tripping. This sensation only lasted about a mile or so and then I forgot all about that fear. I had to adjust the lacing a few times and I actually found leaving them tied looser than usual worked best for me. What impressed me most about the Hoka's is how I feel AFTER my run. My legs feel good, no aches and pains at all, just the usual good soreness after a long run. Next I will try them on a shorter distance to compare them to my other shoes. They are the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever bought, but if they make running more enjoyable, and help reduce injury, then this is only a small price to pay. My Verdict: 2 thumbs up!

Thanks for the great review! The countdown is on for me.......going to buy a pair when I'm in Boston I'm sure!
2013-05-21 7:57 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Last day of school for me!!!!! Let summer vacation begin...

Started the day with an early morning swim. It was pretty rough...I'm feeling pretty beat up. Yesterday was our 8th grade field day, and I think the heat and humidity took its toll. Couple that with the two 2:00 a.m. phone calls and two texts (complete with scantilly clad photos of some strange woman!) to my number, which was clearly the WRONG ONE, 4:30 a.m. came way too early.

2013-05-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by glfprncs

Last day of school for me!!!!! Let summer vacation begin...

Started the day with an early morning swim. It was pretty rough...I'm feeling pretty beat up. Yesterday was our 8th grade field day, and I think the heat and humidity took its toll. Couple that with the two 2:00 a.m. phone calls and two texts (complete with scantilly clad photos of some strange woman!) to my number, which was clearly the WRONG ONE, 4:30 a.m. came way too early.

Wow, love getting random middle of the night calls... Well done for getting up and getting it done.

Enjoy summer vacation! That seems really early, but I guess our school year works differently here.
2013-05-21 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Finally had an xray today and I am here to report that I have four fractured ribs, 4, 5,6 and 7, but no scapular involvement. Boo! Yeah! I'm so conflicted. Sports Med doc told me that I should expect the pain to last several more weeks, offered me Vicadin for at night (which I turned down) and told me to train on with pain as my guide. For now, there is no question that IM is still full steam ahead. I figure if I can run nearly 15m yesterday, I am still viable.

Bummer! But at least now you know you're not being a wuss about the whole thing ;-) You've got the right idea - just do what you can. At least it's nothing that'll end your season. Sounds like you were lucky you didn't damage your shoulder! Rest up and I hope you heal fast.

2013-05-21 10:30 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I got up and got an 8 mile run in this morning; I've found it's much easier for me to get up for a run then it is a swim. That just leaves my swim this evening, which shouldn't be too bad. I'm at a new gym, which has an outdoor pool; it's really nice swimming in sunshine and clear water, which is another reason I'd rather run before sunrise and swim in the sunshine.
2013-05-21 1:22 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

Hudson Valley Region
Thanks for all of the advice and links on HR training. I read as many as I could find over the weekend and went out for a field test during lunch.

I had a 2.6 mile run scheduled for today. I ran the first 5 minutes as a warm-up and my HR shot up to 155. I walked the rest of the way. Actually, about 20 minutes in I decided to make it a 40 minute workout instead of a 2.6 mile run. I tried a few times to run but my HR shot right back up to 150+ within 20 paces.

My average HR was 138 and that's because I spent the first 5 minutes at 155. Much of the time I was between 130-135.

So, I'm kind of at a loss for how to proceed. If I'm walking then it seems like I should be doing this every day. It also seems like I should be walking for a set time until I can run for that time.

2013-05-21 1:40 PM

Hudson Valley Region
Originally posted by leechj
I've also just started a blog documenting my triathlon training, but as you will read in the first post, it's also a way to help me learn some skills I'm hoping to use in my professional career.

<gibberish>
I have a couple of Clojure-based projects that I snuck in at work. I think it's a great language to use if you're in a Java shop. I happen to deal with a lot of listy things so it's a good fit.

Definitely use leiningen (http://leiningen.org/). Also check out #clojure on irc. It's a pretty friendly place (last time I checked, at least).
</gibberish>

Edited by thirdstation 2013-05-21 1:42 PM
2013-05-21 7:54 PM

Hudson Valley Region

I think you are already an ironwoman! Fifteen miles with four broken ribs. Damn!
2013-05-21 8:17 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by thirdstation

I think you are already an ironwoman! Fifteen miles with four broken ribs. Damn!

What he said!

2013-05-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Master
South Alabama

thirdstation/Mark-how did you set your HR zones? The standard 220-age is not very accurate. I think there is an article somewhere here on BT about the problems with that approach and some alternative ways to calculate HR zones.

Busy day with work but was able to get in a bike session this evening. Tomorrow will be early treadmill run before heading out on the road for work again then another bike session tomorow night.

Anyone have big plans for the Holiday weekend?

2013-05-21 8:27 PM
in reply to: Blanda

Hudson Valley Region
Originally posted by Blanda

Sorry for the disappointment Blanda :-( Sending good vibes your way!
2013-05-21 8:55 PM
in reply to: slornow

Hudson Valley Region
Originally posted by slornow

thirdstation/Mark-how did you set your HR zones? The standard 220-age is not very accurate. I think there is an article somewhere here on BT about the problems with that approach and some alternative ways to calculate HR zones.

Busy day with work but was able to get in a bike session this evening. Tomorrow will be early treadmill run before heading out on the road for work again then another bike session tomorow night.

I used the Maffetone formula of 180-age. It is, by his admission, a "good enough" measurement. I'm OK with that. The 220-age gets me 125-142 which is not too far off Maffetone.

I'll try to do a LT test. My monitor can do average HR but, it doesn't have a lap function so I'll just have to restart it - no biggie.

I'd be surprised if an LT test told me I should be training in the 155-170 range. That would be too convenient :-)
2013-05-21 8:57 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by slornow

First HM!

Followed by recovery from first HM.  Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88