BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Thinking of you and your family! Here is hoping that things turn around sooner than later. YOU are STRONG and you can handle it, but also know it is okay to get a helping hand from those closest to you! Focus on the positives and have a great weekend!

Originally posted by SportzVision OMG! Can 2014 get any worst...wait I am sure it can i do NOT want to test fate! So raising three girls has always been a challenge. As kids they were great and a lot of work but fun. then they became adults...don't get me wrong, they are hard workers and are still pretty good...well most of the time. Out of the three one (it can be any of the three), one always has to be my woe. This week it was my youngest. Last night my middle daughter came to me and told me, with a shaky voice and frightened eyes, that the youngest was having a miscarriage and needed me. They live together 70 miles from our home and the middlest was here to do laundry and spend time with the g-son. So I put my mom cape on and head out 10 at night to be with her. I spent the night, took the day off work and we strolled along the river most of the day. She dodged a bullet this time but we are also both still sad at the loss of a baby. My daughter is fine and as I type I can hear her laughing with her sisters in the living room; they are all here tonight, safe and sound. GWAD sometimes I wonder where we went wrong and then remember oh yeah they are adults and can make their own bad decisions. Work sucks and I am beginning to dread going into the office. However, someone I worked with previously called me and asked if I would apply to be her boss. I did and I hope something comes along soon because I feel my season in my current position is quickly coming to an end. I love my work but I feel I am swimming against the current and when I swim with the current the tides change and I am going the wrong way again. Well gotta get to sleep alarm goes off in 3 hours. Prayers please. Oh training, thats lost...well a good run and actual to goodness run without walking an entire 5K this week and yoga 2x. Other than that it was a bust. But no worries you know me the Queen of starting over! I start again tomorrow, shoes are packed plan in hand.

2014-06-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

End of the week update: Bike commuting yesterday and a short 3.5 mile run today. Trying to build my mid-day heat running tolerance as the start time of my July sprint tri is 10:30am, which means I will be running right at noon or so. Fortunately last year there were a couple spectating households along the route who were spraying water upon request!

This weekend I may give stand up paddle boarding a try, anyone have any experience with it?

2014-06-13 6:00 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

End of the week update: Bike commuting yesterday and a short 3.5 mile run today. Trying to build my mid-day heat running tolerance as the start time of my July sprint tri is 10:30am, which means I will be running right at noon or so. Fortunately last year there were a couple spectating households along the route who were spraying water upon request!

This weekend I may give stand up paddle boarding a try, anyone have any experience with it?

So you are in agreement that if I'll be doing a race in significantly warmer temps than I am used to (or comfortable with) that I should start making it a point to train in those temps? We're rapidly coming up at a time of year where I uncharacteristically get up at dawn so I can run before it hits 55 degrees, but since I know I'll be running in about 75-80 degree heat at the tri, I figured I'd better start bucking up. That 5K is going to be torture.

Stand-up paddleboarding, did it once two years ago. Great core workout....if I lived near water and/or had more of a desire to spend time on the water I do leave near, I'd take it up. I have a super strong core so it wasn't tough for me. The biggest issue for me is that kneeling is extremely uncomfortable, and at the time I was only six months out of a severe calf strain so was super uncomfortable in the classic positions and really tentative moving around on the board because I felt protective of my calf (any calf cramping tended to re-injure it). But what worked for me was sitting indian-style on the board and doing most of my paddling till I was comfortable standing. Once standing it was a breeze, but I knew I couldn't do it for two hours and I also knew I'd hurt myself going from standing to kneeling repeatedly, so I waited until I knew I could stand for the rest of the session to do it.
2014-06-13 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
11/28 with a brick today
6.2 mile run
1800 yd swim
1000 free continuous
100 pull
100 free
100 kick
100 free
6 x 50 sprints (20 sec rest)
100 cool-down
2014-06-14 10:24 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Quick help time. I am looking to pick up a set of wheels today since I have a killer deal but am curious about the size. They aren't Zipps but they are the same size as the 808s. I live in a completely flat area with not one hill for any of my races. The winds aren't ever too bad to worry about cross winds. Is it silly to go that size or is it fine? I heard that depth is the best to run but want to make sure it's not crazy to run an 808 on the front.

HELP! I really fell in love with them but don't want to make an mistake.
2014-06-14 10:30 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Well Earned Treat!

Gas Lamp Seasonal! Sadly only available at one of "Calgary's Best Pubs" I had it at the Seanachie.

(Gas Lamp Beer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Gas Lamp Beer.jpg (25KB - 3 downloads)

2014-06-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Burd

Quick help time. I am looking to pick up a set of wheels today since I have a killer deal but am curious about the size. They aren't Zipps but they are the same size as the 808s. I live in a completely flat area with not one hill for any of my races. The winds aren't ever too bad to worry about cross winds. Is it silly to go that size or is it fine? I heard that depth is the best to run but want to make sure it's not crazy to run an 808 on the front.

HELP! I really fell in love with them but don't want to make an mistake.

Worst case, you sell them and recoup some of your money. Best case, killer deal.

Go for it. Lots of people run 808-size wheels, or 80mm / disc combos. For IMWI I'll probably run a 60/80 combo, but hills and crosswinds are the name of the game.

My take is that most of the adaptation is in riding style, and it matters less for heavier folks compared to flyweights (i.e., matter a lot less for 170lb guys than for 120lb women).
2014-06-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

All it takes is not paying full attention, trying to clip back in, intersection, looking the wrong way, and taking one hand off the handle bars.  My season is over!  Surgery on Tuesday.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2014-06-14 8:02 PM

Attachments
----------------
arm.jpeg (57KB - 9 downloads)
2014-06-14 10:12 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Ouch....what happened??  Hope not too serious!!

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

All it takes is not paying full attention, trying to clip back in, intersection, looking the wrong way, and taking one hand off the handle bars.  My season is over!  Surgery on Tuesday.

2014-06-14 10:16 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins Well Earned Treat! Gas Lamp Seasonal! Sadly only available at one of "Calgary's Best Pubs" I had it at the Seanachie.

Seanachie? brewpub? geez, I have to get to Calgary more often!!

2014-06-14 10:19 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Proud to say my wife won her age group today in a small triathlon! Super proud of her! 

We race together in 4 weeks....she is going to be tough to beat!(for me at least!!)

2014-06-14 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
I guess the picture didn't post. My left collar bone is in three big pcs and a few smaller ones. The surgeon didn't have the correct size plates so he's ordering on Monday and surgery on Tuesday.
2014-06-15 3:55 AM

User image

Expert

I guess the picture didn't post. My left collar bone is in three big pcs and a few smaller ones. The surgeon didn't have the correct size plates so he's ordering on Monday and surgery on Tuesday.

Holy crap! I am so sorry! That's terrible! I hope you heal ASAP!
2014-06-15 10:27 AM

User image

, Vermont
Congrats to her!! Fantastic!!
2014-06-15 10:37 AM

User image

, Vermont
13/28 with a brick today.

20.08 mile (32.32km) bike in 1:16 - slower on the way out than usual but tore it up on the way back. 15.8 mi/hr

3.05 mile (4.91km) run right after bike in 26:29 for 8:40 min/mile - way too fast. First mile felt slow due to coming off the bike - felt like cement bricks on my feet. But I ran it better than it felt apparently. I felt fine after - just hungry!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads and single moms out there! It's our anniversary to boot! #12!

A happy note - my older son's (9) baseball team (Red Sox this year) won their championship 1-0 off my son's RBI single! For a kid who didn't get too many hits this season, I was so happy for him. I don't think he even realizes what he did! hahaha

Have a great day everyone!
Jenn
2014-06-15 10:40 AM

User image

, Vermont
Monty, that is horrifying! I am so sorry! Heal quickly and keep your spirits up!

Best,
Jenn

2014-06-15 12:13 PM

User image

So sorry to hear about your collarbone...heal up!
2014-06-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

15/28 as of yesterday. Did two back to back bricks Fri & Sat (swim/bike and bike/run) and although they went well I could feel the fatigue in my legs on the bike both days. I'm sure it's not helped by the bike itself, but I'll keep at it.

Westsuit shopping yesterday took HOURS!!!! I found one zoot which fit pretty well but was armless, and another couple of full body ones of higher quality at a tri-store. Of course, the $400 one fit the best. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but I should probably just take the leap and buy it.

Sandi
2014-06-15 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Damn...heal up fast and recover well. Sorry to hear that.
2014-06-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
16/28. Going strong and half the month left.
2014-06-15 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by thor67

Proud to say my wife won her age group today in a small triathlon! Super proud of her! 

We race together in 4 weeks....she is going to be tough to beat!(for me at least!!)

She's a rockstar! My money is on her next month

2014-06-15 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

I am so sorry to hear about that! That bites!
2014-06-16 5:20 AM

User image

Now that I am back home I am getting very ready to start training for real. Did a long run yesterday of 8km and today I have a short bikeride on the plan. The trip was both great and not great. I ran quite a bit and saw a fair bit of Riga, also I got some inspiration from one of my danish collegues who is training for his first ironman in 5 weeks. The down side was that I didn't run as much as I wanted as high heels every day did its number on my ankles.

As mentioned I had a lot of good beer, particulary a nice honey beer at this medival inspired place in the old town. I also have 3 bottles of Nøgene Ø IPA that I got in the duty free. It happens to be one of my favorite beers. Oh and on Wednesday I will be skipping training. Because I will be at a Brewing course. Well that is if they got my signing up.
2014-06-16 8:06 AM

Bismarck, ND
I would like to join!

I have been out of the tri seen for 2 years. (building house, decided to try to focus on more distance running, etc) But, I completed my first tri this last weekend (completely untrained except for the run) and realized how much I missed it. I was not experienced before. I live in an area that only has 1 tri per year so I have to travel to the venues.

I would love to work my way up to a HIM someday but this year will stick with sprints.

I don't have any close friends that do triathlons so everything that I know is just from reading off the internet. Hoping to make some "virtual" friends to bounce ideas off of.

PLUS, I LOVE BEER! Seriously, my hubby and I put 2 beer taps in our bar. Love it! Just hard to watch the weight when it is so convenient. I love all kinds of beer. My go to is usually a wheat ale but I love trying all kinds.

I have been married almost 14 years and have 3 girls: 10, 5 and 3

Hope you will have me!
2014-06-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

2 beer taps...you are in! Good to have you aboard!

Originally posted by brreems I would like to join! I have been out of the tri seen for 2 years. (building house, decided to try to focus on more distance running, etc) But, I completed my first tri this last weekend (completely untrained except for the run) and realized how much I missed it. I was not experienced before. I live in an area that only has 1 tri per year so I have to travel to the venues. I would love to work my way up to a HIM someday but this year will stick with sprints. I don't have any close friends that do triathlons so everything that I know is just from reading off the internet. Hoping to make some "virtual" friends to bounce ideas off of. PLUS, I LOVE BEER! Seriously, my hubby and I put 2 beer taps in our bar. Love it! Just hard to watch the weight when it is so convenient. I love all kinds of beer. My go to is usually a wheat ale but I love trying all kinds. I have been married almost 14 years and have 3 girls: 10, 5 and 3 Hope you will have me!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51174 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19850 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.