Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-06-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Hello everyone,

Caro, told me that you guys would be willing to adopt someon else into this group. She has spoken a lot about all of you so I am excited to becoming part of this wonderful group.

As you already might know its Caro's fault for me getting into triathlons, I had always wanted to do the Escape to Miami Triathlon but never got into finding out how everything works. But as some people say, I am hooked. I still have some personal goals which I want to fulfill as a runner but I am sure they won't be a problem with my Triathlon goals.

Rich, I am very impressed by everything I have heard and read from you. You inspire all of us and I hope that as Caro said we will be able to join you in the Ironman adventure.

I have to get back to work, but I hope you accept me as yyour new member of this group.

Have a great day.

2007-06-26 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Welcome! We are happy to have you and have heard good things about you too.

Congrats on your triathlon!

NOTE TO GROUP: My younger brother came out to see my race this past Saturday and has signed up to join me in my next race in August! (His computer is long dead, so he won't be joining our on-line group.) Going from a surfer to a triathlete in 6 weeks. Should be interesting. I think the run will be his biggest challenge. I will let you all know if he comes up with any questions I can't answer. The best part; now I will have someone to train with more often!

GO TEAM GO!

Hey Rich, when's your next race???

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-06-26 9:32 AM
2007-06-26 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Mentoring and Beyond! Woooo Hoooo!
This is GREAT that everyone wants to continue on and I am definitely game! This mentoring session/season finishes at the end of August according to the guidelines. I like the thoughts about either a private designated chat or a new thread. From a time/logisitics standpoint, a thread might be easier, but it would definitely be a kick to talk in a chatroom situation. So we can work on the coordination and set up of that.

This is WAY to cool!!!!
2007-06-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: #860493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Welcome Felipe
Hey Felipe!

Definitely Welcome! You and your sis did an awesome job on your first tri! Outstanding work. I will have to look at your times of the rest in your age group, but know that you are competing in a TOUGH age group.

I looked at your race splits! Overall Outstanding!

* Your swim would have been faster.....your swim trunks created some unnecessary drag....may consider jammers, tri shorts, or a full tri suit to make you more aerodynamic in the water. The more aerodynamic the less energy expended.

* Your T1 and T2 splits were awesome...... no wetsuits...Nice! (In California, we typically use wetsuits because the lake water is too cold or the ocean currents are too cold.)

* Biking split wasn't bad....I think you can gain time here on your bike without exploding your legs and ruining the set up for your run.

* Run time was decent.......(OK, you would have beat my _ (blank) _!), but in your age group, you will want to do more running.

My suggestion would be a focus on your cycling and running. Start with small ring riding for 1 to 2 hours. Slowly progress up the chain ring.

Other other thing you might consider is finding a local bicycle shop and see if they have any organized rides on a weekly basis.

You are within striking distance of a sub hour time. If you work at it hard, you could break the one hour barrier by your August tri.

Let me know what questions you might have.

Again, WELCOME!

Rich
2007-06-26 12:45 PM
in reply to: #860493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Hey, Felipe! Welcome! So glad you can join our little family. Congratulations on your first tri.  I think it's so cool that you and Caro are training together! And yeah, triathlons are addicting!!! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your goals and watching you bust them all down
2007-06-26 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys!!!!!
Thank you soo much for such a warm welcome for my little brother!!!! He is not that little huh??! hahaha
We are totally hooked now. We are thinking maybe we can do another one July 8th? and August 5th?

Well, for me it all depends on studying. Right now that is my focus and priority! I have to pass this damm test! So I've been neglecting the blog guys!! But that is why my brother is here!!! yey HE CAN update you on everything.... maybe get some dirt on me??!( right Rich!)

I COncur with all of you on keeping the thread, or creating a new one going! This team has been indispensable for my motivation in all aspects, nutrition, training and all!!! As such, YES lets totally keep it going!

Our main A race is in September. I know Andi's race A is also either August or September. I'm sure Cris ,Kat, Derek, Ang and Barb have races somewhere around the end of the Tri season!

You Rich! Of COURSE you have one!!! Now, what can we do to support you though? You ahve given us sooo much, and we have given you hmmmmmmm, admiration and love???

Thank you for everything again guys! All of you are the most amazing people! Yes I say Ironman 2009 here WE COME! hahahahaha

2007-06-26 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Sweet, another hottie to add to the group! Welcome! *smile*

So you are all talking ironman next year, eh? Well, I'm not ready for that yet, mainly because of the commitment of time to train, but I am open to the idea of a half ironman. I'm crossing my fingers that Team in Training does it again -- if that's the case, that's the route I'm taking. The whole TNT experience has been absolutely incredible (Rich, I'm sure you can attest), and I'm only 1/4 through my training!

If I hear anything, I'll certainly post it on here. I'd be honored to race next to (or behind) such a fine group of folks like yourselves.
2007-06-27 12:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi! I meant to ask you about your fund raising.....how is that going.....private message me on that one if you would like....

THANKS!

Rich
2007-06-27 1:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich 's Upcoming Race?
Hey Gang!

You were asking about my race..... Sunday, July 22, 2007......Vineman 70.3 (Half-Ironman). This is my "A" race for this year.

This one is unique in that it is a point-to-point triathlon. That means there are two seperate transition areas. T1 is right next to the river (a stream) where the swim is being held (1 1/4 mile swim). T2 is 15 miles away which is reached via the long way around..... a 56 mile bike ride....... the run is a 13.1 mile out and back.

I have two more weeks of "hard training"..... I am actually going to be unavailable this Thursday through Sunday because I'm heading up to the race site to ride, run and swim it. It is about 500 miles north (or about 1 hour north of San Francisco).

Right now I'm racking up a lot of miles on the run and a lot of time in the pool. I'm not getting a lot of bike time, but not too concerned at this time. I'll be getting more bike time this long weekend along with becoming very familiar with the route.

I'll have to think what you can do for me, other than keep me on track.....

Chat with you tomorrow (6/27)!

Rich

2007-06-27 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Andi!!
I'm glad TNT is working great for you!!! Well, the Ironman is probably going to happen in a year or more I'm guessing? hahahaha so kmaybe we can tackle a half together, or maybe even plan a sprint together? Maybe while you are in the Keys.....???

Rich!!! OMG that race sounds AWESOME! I am sure you are going to have MORE than a blast at it. Definately, seeing the terrain is pivotal!! Now I understand!!!! That sounds very exciting. I don't think as the cyclingmaniac that you are, you should worry about the bike swim and running, it obviously important. I know my older brother was demoralized after the swim, since he had to stop and breath for a bit and catfch his breath....

Wanted to drop a line since i gotta eat books now!!!! good workouts team!!!
send you love!
2007-06-27 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
We're behind you 100% for your race, Rich! Do you feel you are getting stronger / improving since you finished your treatments in February?

My "A" race in August is local and allows me to practice the actual course. How helpful do you think that is? (I noticed you are going up to practice your July race course.)

Caru and company are talking about JOINING Ironman 2009 with Rich -- the rest of us are talking cheerleading for the event. ;-)

2007-06-27 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Rich, Kat, Christine and Andrea, thank you for your warm welcome!

Rich, thanks for your comments and observations. I agree with you and thanks for pointing the run part, now that I think about it I could have definately done much better on that. I am running a half marathon at the end of July so I will be bumping up my running in the upcoming weeks.

I really felt like the bike kicked my butt. It was also frustrating to see people blaze past me, I don't mind people passing me but they way they were doing it I just felt like I was going at .05 mph. I had an issue with what gear to have on the bike, I had it on the big rings but I kept on putting it harder then softer I didn't really know what would be the best choice.

Thank you, and Ironman 2009 it is!!

Take care.

Edited by feliperubio 2007-06-27 9:48 AM
2007-06-27 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hi Felipe,

Have you focused much on your cadence? One of my bike coaches is really big on that, and has us keep our cadence at 90 RPMs. Lance Armstrong has a very high cadence, and it helps him significantly when he needs it the most. Having a higher cadence also saves your legs so that you don't feel as fatigued. You may not feel like you are going as fast, but usually (at least for me), you have a higher speed because of it. Less work, less jello legs, better results.

I found this long and rather winded article, but it has some good nuggets of information that you may find interesting.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/cadence.html

I can tell you that since I've increased my cadence from the low 70s to the low 90s, my speed and endurance has improved dramatically!!!

Rich, oh cycling god, feel free to pipe in I'd be interested in your comments on cadence.

2007-06-27 10:42 AM
in reply to: #862523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Cadence.... Andi is right on!
Andi! You are right on with the cadence..... I keep my cadence between 90 and 100. On steep hills, I may get down to 70 to 80 (on 6% to 8% grades). We have some monster mountains behind us.... San Gabriel Mountain Range.... I live in the foothills. The mountain range goes to 6500'. I'm at 700' and we climb, climb, climb.

Felipe, don't worry about how fast they blaze by you.......the race doesn't really start until the run and usually the later part of the run. (The whole purpose of the swim is to get you to the bike, the whole purpose of the bike is to get you to the run, the whole purpose of the run is to get you to the finish line) Again, the race begins with the run because many people blow themselves up on the bike ride and don't have enough on the run. That is where you make your move.

Read the article that Andi provided and think about the above. Don't be hesitant to ask questions.

Rich
2007-06-27 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Felipe,

It's great that you are getting in the habit of logging your workouts.

Training logs are helpful for people to look at when giving you feedback. Motivating and fun to look back on too. There are some workouts you can't wait to get on and log in.

Doesn't sound like you have any lack of motivation, though!

Hey, Rich!

What about my questions to you in my earlier post?...
2007-06-27 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Rain rain rain

Not to change the subject or anything, but just in case y'all have have been hearing about all of the flooding in north and central Texas today, Austin and the immediate surrounding areas seem to be okay so far.  It looks like the worst is just north and west of me.  I've seen predictions of another 6-8 inches of rain in the next 24 hours. We're going to be keeping a close eye on the rivers as all this stuff moves downstream in the next few days.  We're on high ground here, but please say a prayer for all of those folks who are literally up to their necks in flash floods. Some of the footage that I'm seeing in the area is pretty scary.

We now return to our regularly scheduled triathlon discussion...

Edited by katzchen55 2007-06-27 2:53 PM

2007-06-27 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I do remember a guy telling me while we were going up the bridge the first time and as he passed me easily "RPM's! RPM's!", I just looked at him and did not have a clue what he was reffering to, hahahaha.

Anyways, I'm gonna try to focus on that the next time. I'll have to figure out sometime with Caro so we can go on a good long bike ride.

The training logs are awesome, it nice to be able to keep track of everything. I have a forerunner 205 watch so that makes everything much easier and exact.

FR
2007-06-28 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Bike trainer
Hey Rich!  I just got a pretty basic magnetic bike trainer - I'm thinking it's going to be pretty useful during this rainy season we're having here in TX, and over the winter months.  What are some good trainer workouts/drills that I can be doing to improve my bike times?
2007-06-28 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where on earth have I been!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Well. Nowhere exciting...sadly. But I'm alive...and stress hasn't taken me out, so I guess considering the circumstances things are fabulous. 

A few things...

1. I'm not dead. I emailed Rich earlier this week (finally)...there's a lot of drama going down at work and I've been pulling 65+ hour weeks. Seriously. It has been so freaking awful. I met with HR on Tuesday and we're planning my escape. AWESOME. I'm really excited to explore other agency opportunities. Plus it'll save my sanity and help me get back in a scheduled groove. I'm proud of myself to opening the door to this discussion. I love my team to bits, but I'm at the end of my fuse...time for a change.

2. Because of said psycho work weeks, training has well...plummeted. Totally awesome. Right?! Aside from a crappy run here and there (which totally deflated my confidence) and a workout video or two, I did absolutely zero riding and swimming. But I'm back in check...finally. Had a rockin' bike ride on Monday and a brilliant 8 mile run tonight (first good run in almost a month)...my OWS was supposed to be last night but the class was cancelled due to lightning and thunder. BOO. And to think...this is the first week in about 2-3 months that I've been leaving before 5:30 every day (mostly because I just don't care anymore).

3. I volunteered at a half ironman over the weekend...and it was so inspiring. Seeing these folks in action, including my godfather, was truly amazing. But man...passing off gels and stuff to bikers is TOUGH.

4. My first tri is...uh...next weekend. Clearly, because of lack of training I'm not going to race it. Physically I know I'm fit enough to grind through it--hopefully with relative ease. I"m not certain.

5. I've been desperately trying to catch up with race reports and all that jazz from my mini hiatus. You guys are doing so awesome. I'm jealous. I can barely keep my log up to date let alone drop in to say hi. (and I totally suck because of it...and I say that in jest...)

6. I'm proud to report that my bike is now my friend. I love her to bits. I just need to work on speed and changing gears (dude...is there anyway they can grease it or something to make this easier!? my left hand is ridiculously weak and its so frustrating!).

7. I miss you guys. ...but I'm back!! :D

Okay...that's all I got for now. It's super late and time to put my tired self to sleep!!  

xoxo

Barb

2007-06-29 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Bike ride last night turned into a run from the lightening! Happy to have survived and got in a good workout.

Moving this weekend. May be disconnected for several days. Will fit in a workout here and there. Have a great weekend all!
2007-07-01 9:59 PM
in reply to: #865454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rooting for Barb!
Hey Barb!

Glad you are inspired and back in the saddle so to speak...... With your upcoming triathlon, just go out and have fun.....don't worry about time. Just plow through it the best you can and have a GREAT laugh!

I'm sure volunteering for a 70.3 race was inspiring! I am three weeks out from my race (7/22) and am getting very excited. Swam, rode and ran the courses this weekend. All three courses are through Redwood Forests of Northern California area in the Russian River region. Rollers, hills and beautiful scenery.

Can't wait. Again, Barb! Welcome back! And CONGRATULATIONS on making friends with your bike!

Rich

2007-07-01 10:01 PM
in reply to: #865856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Christine:

Glad you are safe from the weather in your neck of the woods! Be safe!

Rich
2007-07-01 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Uhmm...

Someone hold me.

What have I done?

*gulp*

2007-07-01 10:33 PM
in reply to: #868222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida or Cour de lene?
Hey Barb.... What did you do? Florida or Idaho?

Rich
2007-07-01 10:48 PM

User image

Florida 70.3...the one in Disney, not clearwater...

DH and I both took the plunge...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46