BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-03-21 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1089758

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full
So I think I'm recovered enough to do an LT test, I haven't needed the rescue inhaler in over a week.  I'll try it on the bike today and on the run some time next week

2008-03-21 6:58 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Another HR question (or two) here...I'm using zones that I found using the test Brian mentioned - now how often do I need to retest? (I did mine for the bike and the run last October after the tri-season was over.)

The real question I had was about a wacky HR - yesterday I did a little brick (spin class + 1-2 miles was the plan). Spin class went fine, stayed in bike Z1-Z2 (112-140) except for a couple sprints...wiped off the bike & went to the treadmill, HR went down to 106 - got the treadmill cranked up to 11 minute miles (usually fairly easy for me) and my HR went to 170+ (Z4 for the run). I lowered the speed to 12 minute miles, no change in HR...I ran 1.5 miles, and my HR was in the 170s the whole time. Once I hit cool down and dropped to a walk, it went down to normal levels.

So what is up with that? I've done bricks before without this happening.

2008-03-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1284733

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

enders_shadow - 2008-03-21 6:58 AM Another HR question (or two) here...I'm using zones that I found using the test Brian mentioned - now how often do I need to retest? (I did mine for the bike and the run last October after the tri-season was over.) The real question I had was about a wacky HR - yesterday I did a little brick (spin class + 1-2 miles was the plan). Spin class went fine, stayed in bike Z1-Z2 (112-140) except for a couple sprints...wiped off the bike & went to the treadmill, HR went down to 106 - got the treadmill cranked up to 11 minute miles (usually fairly easy for me) and my HR went to 170+ (Z4 for the run). I lowered the speed to 12 minute miles, no change in HR...I ran 1.5 miles, and my HR was in the 170s the whole time. Once I hit cool down and dropped to a walk, it went down to normal levels. So what is up with that? I've done bricks before without this happening.

I like the new avatar a lot!

I am not 100% certain about the HR, but do you sense you were getting any interference from it or another HRM in the area? Sometimes that happens to me.  It could also mean you are not fully recovered from your half marathon which really wasn't that long ago, not even a week!  Racing is taxing. 

2008-03-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1284733

User image

Expert
Michiana

enders_shadow - 2008-03-21 7:58 AM Another HR question (or two) here...I'm using zones that I found using the test Brian mentioned - now how often do I need to retest? (I did mine for the bike and the run last October after the tri-season was over.) The real question I had was about a wacky HR - yesterday I did a little brick (spin class + 1-2 miles was the plan). Spin class went fine, stayed in bike Z1-Z2 (112-140) except for a couple sprints...wiped off the bike & went to the treadmill, HR went down to 106 - got the treadmill cranked up to 11 minute miles (usually fairly easy for me) and my HR went to 170+ (Z4 for the run). I lowered the speed to 12 minute miles, no change in HR...I ran 1.5 miles, and my HR was in the 170s the whole time. Once I hit cool down and dropped to a walk, it went down to normal levels. So what is up with that? I've done bricks before without this happening.

Your LT probably hasn't changed much, as it's largely determined by genetics.  However, the pace your run at LT has probably gotten quicker.      It's not a test you want to do too often.  2X per year is the most you'd want to do.  Once a year for each the bike and run is probably fine.

Regarding the HR during your brick yesterday...  I'm not really sure...  How did you feel?  Was your breathing really labored?  Could be an anomoly as measured HR can be misleading sometimes, especially if the perceived effort was EZ.  Try it again next week (bike then run); however, start the run at a slower pace and work up to your intended speed, paying attention to your breathing rate and perceived effort.  Potentially something you should ask your doctor.

2008-03-21 9:18 AM

User image

Champion

Brian (and All)

Here is my can of worms topic for the weekend.....All this talk about HR and testing raises a question for me.  While I am mindful of HR during various work outs and races, I am usually not a slave to it.  I know that being tired, dehydrated, terrain or weather  can affect it one way or another.  It seems like triathletes on this forum spend a lot more time accumulating minutes in certain zones versus running/biking to a pace and monitoring HR.  What do you see as the main benefit of that? I think I made the mistake of running to an HR in my last race because of this mindset and it may have inhibited my performance to some degree. 

Enlighten me

Suzy

2008-03-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1284999

User image

Expert
Michiana
SSMinnow - 2008-03-21 10:18 AM

Brian (and All)

Here is my can of worms topic for the weekend.....All this talk about HR and testing raises a question for me.  While I am mindful of HR during various work outs and races, I am usually not a slave to it.  I know that being tired, dehydrated, terrain or weather  can affect it one way or another.  It seems like triathletes on this forum spend a lot more time accumulating minutes in certain zones versus running/biking to a pace and monitoring HR.  What do you see as the main benefit of that? I think I made the mistake of running to an HR in my last race because of this mindset and it may have inhibited my performance to some degree. 

Enlighten me

Suzy

Lots of debate on this in the forums.  I think for an experienced runner like you, its best to use HR as a monitor and not be a slave to it.  Your probably so "in touch" with your body as you run, that you can pretty much nail any race pace you set out to do.  A coach on this site, Jorge (amiine) has a similar perspective as you in regard to HR training and racing.

I think for beginners, HR training and racing can be a big help.  For training, to keep us from over-extending ourselves and getting the right "mix" of training paces.  For racing, to pace unfamilar race-distances.

I think HR training has been good for me.  Without it, I think I was running too hard and biking too easy during training.  For racing (runs), the HR monitor actually helped me race harder, knowing that I could push very close to LT for a half-marathon.  I had a very good experience racing that fall 1/2 marathon and intend to use it again on 4/6; but pushing closer to LT earlier in the race.

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-03-21 9:54 AM

2008-03-21 1:38 PM

User image

Champion

You are probably right regarding experience, because I feel much less knowledgeable about HR and pacing on the bike. On the trainer, my legs will fatigue/burn before my HR approaches even EZ run pace which is in the low to mid 140s. 

I have an LT test in my plans for May to try to become more educated, but I still think I will stick to a combination of PE and HR.

PS I checked Amine's logs. His ez pace cracks me up, 6:44?

2008-03-22 11:15 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Any suggestions for supplements other than Gu?  I have determined I'm not too fond of the stuff.  It repeats in my throat like straight Hershey syrup for miles despite drinking water with it.  I'll need to try them out before the half mary so it's not something new on race day.
2008-03-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1285102

User image

Expert
Virginia
mbmoran2 - 2008-03-21 10:53 AM

I think HR training has been good for me. Without it, I think I was running too hard and biking too easy during training. For racing (runs), the HR monitor actually helped me race harder, knowing that I could push very close to LT for a half-marathon. I had a very good experience racing that fall 1/2 marathon and intend to use it again on 4/6; but pushing closer to LT earlier in the race.

This is me (well sans the 1/2 mary reference, lol).  When I started doing HR training, I had to slow it down a lot...but I've seen big improvements.  I was running WAY too hard and not able to get the distance in I needed for training b/c of injuries and fatigue.  By slowing it down, I'm getting the time and distances I need in during training.  I ran my 5K w/o my HRM and found that I did fine with pacing.  I think that training with it takes me to where I need to be so that on race day, I could run off how I felt and be fine.   

2008-03-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1287125

User image

Champion

zipp1 - 2008-03-22 11:15 AM Any suggestions for supplements other than Gu?  I have determined I'm not too fond of the stuff.  It repeats in my throat like straight Hershey syrup for miles despite drinking water with it.  I'll need to try them out before the half mary so it's not something new on race day.

I pm'ed you with an idea although you would need to order it asap to test it out before your race.

2008-03-22 10:55 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
How bad an idea is it to ride my bike, even if it's just a mile or so, every chance I get for a while?  I am just really trying to get the clipless pedal thing down, and if I just follow my training schedule, I won't be on my actual bike for all the workouts.  Definitely the weekend, but that only is like one bike ride.  The others may or may not be on my bike, because it depends on work.  Am I doing myself a disservice thinking this is okay?

2008-03-23 5:51 AM
in reply to: #1287905

User image

Champion

kimmitri408 - 2008-03-22 10:55 PM How bad an idea is it to ride my bike, even if it's just a mile or so, every chance I get for a while?  I am just really trying to get the clipless pedal thing down, and if I just follow my training schedule, I won't be on my actual bike for all the workouts.  Definitely the weekend, but that only is like one bike ride.  The others may or may not be on my bike, because it depends on work.  Am I doing myself a disservice thinking this is okay?

Are you asking because you are afraid you might be overdoing it and not following your plan?  If so, I don't think you will find your body rebelling to a few easy miles every day.  I agree it is important to get used to those pedals before racing.  Just make sure you keep the miles easy and it possible, the terrain flat.

2008-03-23 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1288021

User image

Expert
Virginia
SSMinnow - 2008-03-23 6:51 AM

kimmitri408 - 2008-03-22 10:55 PM How bad an idea is it to ride my bike, even if it's just a mile or so, every chance I get for a while? I am just really trying to get the clipless pedal thing down, and if I just follow my training schedule, I won't be on my actual bike for all the workouts. Definitely the weekend, but that only is like one bike ride. The others may or may not be on my bike, because it depends on work. Am I doing myself a disservice thinking this is okay?

Are you asking because you are afraid you might be overdoing it and not following your plan? If so, I don't think you will find your body rebelling to a few easy miles every day. I agree it is important to get used to those pedals before racing. Just make sure you keep the miles easy and it possible, the terrain flat.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm asking.  I just need to get used to the pedals and I feel like with what I'm doing currently, it's never going to really happen.  By the end of yesterday's ride, I felt so much better on them than I did at the start.  I'd hate to wait like another week for another chance to ride on them again, I feel like I might lose the confidence I built up.

2008-03-23 1:10 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Suzy,

Thanks for the pm on the Infinit, that's what someone else advised me on... Hard to make choices without reading everything each of these companies puts out to promote their brand and then it's like any other purchase where you have to sort out the claims from reality and try things out.  But having 2 people say this works well on their stomach is better than blindly reading some big name guy (getting paid big bucks) to advertise some product I guess.

Kimmi,

Go ahead and ride a small amount easy on that bike as much as possible.  You need to be comfortable getting in and out of the pedals as well as how the bike handles when you change gears, turn, deal with rough patches of road (etcetera)

2008-03-23 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1282889

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
SSMinnow - 2008-03-20 11:18 AM

How did you calculate your zones?  I can't tell by looking at your log.  I used the Karvonen which requires you to know or estimate your RHR and Max HR.   Have you ever worn your HR to bed? or strapped it on for a half an hour and fallen asleep? MY RHR is different during that time.  Your Zone 1 and 2 seem really low to me.

I will say that inhalers did increase my HR fairly substantially when I was using it.  My normal 154 run would be in the 170s with no change in pace.

I'm still playing with the formulas.  I tried getting RHR while just lying on the couch for a long time (boy was that hard to do) and got around 52.  MHR is an estimate from some of the gym equipment measuring me over 180's.  Using the Karnoven formula that puts me still in zone 4 when I'm mid-160's on a run.  Again, I don't feel that much RPE so my question is which is more beneficial for me to train on?  I had wanted to go HRM to take training to a higher level but this isn't making a lot of sense to me now because all the formulas put my baseline range really low.
2008-03-24 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1288724

User image

Expert
Virginia
zipp1 - 2008-03-23 10:13 PM
SSMinnow - 2008-03-20 11:18 AM

How did you calculate your zones? I can't tell by looking at your log. I used the Karvonen which requires you to know or estimate your RHR and Max HR. Have you ever worn your HR to bed? or strapped it on for a half an hour and fallen asleep? MY RHR is different during that time. Your Zone 1 and 2 seem really low to me.

I will say that inhalers did increase my HR fairly substantially when I was using it. My normal 154 run would be in the 170s with no change in pace.

I'm still playing with the formulas. I tried getting RHR while just lying on the couch for a long time (boy was that hard to do) and got around 52. MHR is an estimate from some of the gym equipment measuring me over 180's. Using the Karnoven formula that puts me still in zone 4 when I'm mid-160's on a run. Again, I don't feel that much RPE so my question is which is more beneficial for me to train on? I had wanted to go HRM to take training to a higher level but this isn't making a lot of sense to me now because all the formulas put my baseline range really low.

I still think you are using too low a MHR.  When I got my metabolic testing done, my AT (which from reading is the same as the LT calculation) was around 192.  I can't believe that mine would be higher than yours because you are in much better fitness and can much more than I can.  

On the RHR - you should be getting a good estimate.  When I got my testing done, I fell asleep and they actually removed that info.  As that is a basal reading, not the resting reading.  You don't actually want to fall asleep, just be very relaxed.   

2008-03-24 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Like the avitar Kristen!
2008-03-24 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Careful with the MHR thing.  It's something you should rarely, if ever, try to test.  In fact, I've never figured mine out.  It's probably in the 180's, but really isn't too important to know, if you figure our your LTHR (lactate threshold heart rate).

The LTHR is such an interesting thing.  I can actually feel good running just a few beats below LTHR for a half-marathon.  However, when you hit it; you're breathing gets labored, the legs start burning and you know it'll be a matter of minutes that your body will say "no mas."  My LTHR is about 169.  I ran the middle of my last 1/2M at about 165-168 and still felt good.  The last three miles, I PUSHED and got my HR to 170-171.  Man, my heart was pounding, legs burning... It was all I could do mentally to "hold on."  The difference of only a few beats per minute and lactic acid starts building up, ventalation rate jumps, you FEEL your heart beating, legs burning.  You just know.  It's really a transition point.  Here's that chart again to see what I'm talking about...

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-03-24 11:38 AM

(Cleveland Half-marathon Pace and HR Chart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cleveland Half-marathon Pace and HR Chart.jpg (50KB - 12 downloads)
2008-03-24 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1289590

User image

Expert
Virginia

Interesting that your LTHR is so low.  Is that genetics or that you've HR trained your way to a low LT?  In other words, if I keep training w/ HR and losing weight, will mine drop?  I thought it would increase, meaning I could work at higher HRs w/o feeling the burn.  I thought it had a lot more to do with fitness than I guess it does.  Like at 170, I feel great.  I can run and run on it, the only limiter being that at my fitness level, after a while my HR starts to go up and up for the same pace and I hit that magic cross over where I feel like I can't go on. 

2008-03-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1288724

User image

Expert
Michiana

I'm still playing with the formulas.  I tried getting RHR while just lying on the couch for a long time (boy was that hard to do) and got around 52.  MHR is an estimate from some of the gym equipment measuring me over 180's.  Using the Karnoven formula that puts me still in zone 4 when I'm mid-160's on a run.  Again, I don't feel that much RPE so my question is which is more beneficial for me to train on?  I had wanted to go HRM to take training to a higher level but this isn't making a lot of sense to me now because all the formulas put my baseline range really low.

Once you figure out your LT, it gets pretty easy.  Just plug that into your BT HR zones.

I feel sort of comfortable in my low-mid Z4 (162-165bpm), but at 167-169 things get very tough.  That's the thing about LT.  It really is a "threshold."

The other thing is that you have been consistenty (when not battling pnumonia) training your aerobic system 9 hours per week for several months.  That's A LOT by any standard.  With that kind of base, you can expect to get pretty comfortable training in the low Z4 range.  That does not mean you should train harder all the time now.  However, with that strong base, and if you have some desire to get faster, you could introduce some faster pace intervals.

For the bike; you could try some 2-4 minute intervals, where you get to upper Z4 to lower Z5 with equal recovery times between.  Remember though, that your Bike LTHR will be different (prob 5-10bpm slower) than your run LT.  Something like...

• 10-15 minute warm-up
  • 4-6 X 3' Z4/5 with 3' recoveries, keeping cadence above 90rpm
  • 10-15 minute cool-down

Don't do this more than once a week.

Be more cautious increasing run intensity (to avoid injury).  You still have a lot to gain by simply running more and working on that base.  Perhaps start with five, work up to ten, 30 second strides (Z4) with 2 minute recoveries.  Then begin working in a weekly tempo (Z3/Z4) run.  Start with one mile and add 0.5 mile per week to the tempo run (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5).  Be sure to warm-up (Z1/Z2) and cool down at least 10 minutes each on tempo runs.

I just worked up to a 6mi tempo run, which is about as long as most people would want to go.  Beyond 6mi, marathoners work on their marathon pace (MP) runs, which are typically Z3 and can be as long as 16mi.  No thanks! 

Just a "little" something to think about...

2008-03-24 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1289669

User image

Expert
Michiana
kimmitri408 - 2008-03-24 1:02 PM

Interesting that your LTHR is so low.  Is that genetics or that you've HR trained your way to a low LT?  In other words, if I keep training w/ HR and losing weight, will mine drop?  I thought it would increase, meaning I could work at higher HRs w/o feeling the burn.  I thought it had a lot more to do with fitness than I guess it does.  Like at 170, I feel great.  I can run and run on it, the only limiter being that at my fitness level, after a while my HR starts to go up and up for the same pace and I hit that magic cross over where I feel like I can't go on. 

There's just so much "stuff" going on that fitness is just part of the equation.  Age and genetic make-up are big factors dictating LTHR.  Some very fit and faster people may have LTHR much lower than me.  LTHR, nor MHR just aren't great indicators of fitness.  Someone may have a lower LTHR, but greater stroke volume (mL of blood pumped per stroke), higher red blood cell count and greater capillary development in their leg muscles sending more oxygen to their legs, keeping lactic acid build-up at bay more efficiently than me.  Now, how fast one can run at their LTHR is a good indicator.

As you train, loose weight, get more fit, etc... your LTHR may or may not drop.  However, you will begin to run faster at the same HR.  For example, my running LTHR may have always been about 169bpm.  However, two years ago, my running pace at 169bpm was about 8:45/mi.  Now it's about 7:10/mi.  So, my LTHR hasn't changed, but my capillaries carrying blood to and from my leg muscles are more developed, my heart is stronger (greater stroke volume), perhaps I'm also carrying more oxygen through higher red blood cell count, hemoglobin levels.  These "adaptations" occur through years (to a smaller degree months) of consistent training, BELOW our LTHR.  The ability to move legs faster, clear lactic acid faster and deal with the pain better is gained through Z4 and Z5 training, which I argue will get me from 7:10's to 6:50's per mile.  Notice how much more is gained, early in one's career, working on the "base" at the lower intensity zones...

Just one guy's opinion, who is not a coach nor a doctor, nor very experienced....

2008-03-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1289754

User image

Expert
Virginia
That makes a lot of sense.  My pace in Z1/Z2 has increased since I've been HR training versus before when I was just running with no real focus on what I was doing.  My 5K was almost 14 min pace where in January, I was doing 16 + min pace.  And I feel better at those paces than I did lumbering around before.  I imagine that if I keep this up, then I'll see much better gains then how I used to train for running, although unfortunately, probably no more 1 min/month drops, LOL. 
2008-03-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1289712

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
mbmoran2 - 2008-03-24 12:14 PM

Once you figure out your LT, it gets pretty easy.  Just plug that into your BT HR zones.

I feel sort of comfortable in my low-mid Z4 (162-165bpm), but at 167-169 things get very tough.  That's the thing about LT.  It really is a "threshold."

The other thing is that you have been consistenty (when not battling pnumonia) training your aerobic system 9 hours per week for several months.  That's A LOT by any standard.  With that kind of base, you can expect to get pretty comfortable training in the low Z4 range.  That does not mean you should train harder all the time now.  However, with that strong base, and if you have some desire to get faster, you could introduce some faster pace intervals.

For the bike; you could try some 2-4 minute intervals, where you get to upper Z4 to lower Z5 with equal recovery times between.  Remember though, that your Bike LTHR will be different (prob 5-10bpm slower) than your run LT.  Something like...

• 10-15 minute warm-up
  • 4-6 X 3' Z4/5 with 3' recoveries, keeping cadence above 90rpm
  • 10-15 minute cool-down

Don't do this more than once a week.

Be more cautious increasing run intensity (to avoid injury).  You still have a lot to gain by simply running more and working on that base.  Perhaps start with five, work up to ten, 30 second strides (Z4) with 2 minute recoveries.  Then begin working in a weekly tempo (Z3/Z4) run.  Start with one mile and add 0.5 mile per week to the tempo run (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5).  Be sure to warm-up (Z1/Z2) and cool down at least 10 minutes each on tempo runs.

I just worked up to a 6mi tempo run, which is about as long as most people would want to go.  Beyond 6mi, marathoners work on their marathon pace (MP) runs, which are typically Z3 and can be as long as 16mi.  No thanks! 

Just a "little" something to think about...

That's making more sense now. It's really a matter of getting the LT done right.  I may have one of the trainers at the gym help me do it right after my early races.   
I've put in time for a while but what I'd like to do is train smart/train right so it's not just a matter of time into the sport but effective use of the time and getting maximum benefit from the training.  That's why I really wanted to get the HRM in the first place, I know this will get me from just putting in time to an effective workout to make use of that  time.
2008-03-24 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

For the record, lots of people, like Suzy have trained very effectively without a HRM.  She basically got in tune with her body from, guess what?... Lots of running.  She probably doesn't need a HRM to tell her that she's approaching, at or above her LTHR.  She feels the lactic acid building, hears her breathing rate increase, senses the higher intensity and corresponding fatigue.  She KNOWS her Z2 pace, marathon pace and threshold pace without a HRM.

Just because you don't know exactly what your LTHR is, doesn't mean you can't train smartly and incorporate various paces in your training.  Honestly, for 30 second strides, a HRM will be of know use as your HR lags that effort and by the time it catches up, your 30 second stride is over.  For strides, just go run at a comfortable pace and throw in some 30 second stretches where you run hard, but controlled and recover for 2 minutes after each one.  You will develop neuromuscular adaptations and begin to train your body to clear lactic acid more efficiently.  The same goes for hill repeats or "spin-ups" on the bike.

I don't know why I'm acting like such a coach today...  I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

Suzy, please reign me in if I'm steering our group astray...

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-03-24 3:18 PM
2008-03-24 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

Brian, I posted this on your blog but I'll post it again here for total group input:

How do I really train for swimming?  My plan right now just says warm up/x yards workout/cool down.  So that's pretty much what I do. Sometimes I get funky with it and do sets of 50s or 100s.  That's just to mix it up so I'm not doing the same thing all the time.  I saw the 0 to one mile plan on here and am thinking about adding that, but not sure if that's a good idea b/c I am so slow.  I'm reading TI (borrowed!) and waiting on the Freestyle made Easy DVD.  I'm a visual person, so seeing drills will help me a lot more than reading about them will. But I"m a dork and reading helps me understand the mechanics behind it.  Anyway, what should I do at the pool? Should I do warm up (as per the plan), drills, prescribed distance, cool down?  Every day or should I keep my random sets?  Is there a swim program I should add into training, now that I'm comfortably, albeit slowly, swimming a quarter mile consistently?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 23