General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where did you get your tri bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2345558

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: RE: Where did you get your tri bike?
In fairness to all bike shops, I don't think you can test ride a tri bike once or twice for 20 miles and find your perfect bike (based on price or fit).  It takes a few hundred miles in the saddle to really learn how to ride aero comfortably.

So if I am reading this right, what you're saying is that going from road bike to tri bike is something of a leap of faith. I'm not really going to know if it's right for me until I buy a bike and ride it for a while.

2009-08-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2346105

User image

Master
Small Town
jeffsab - 2009-08-13 11:01 AM
In fairness to all bike shops, I don't think you can test ride a tri bike once or twice for 20 miles and find your perfect bike (based on price or fit).  It takes a few hundred miles in the saddle to really learn how to ride aero comfortably.

So if I am reading this right, what you're saying is that going from road bike to tri bike is something of a leap of faith. I'm not really going to know if it's right for me until I buy a bike and ride it for a while.

Not a leap of faith per say, but if you know you want a tri bike to race with - TT, Tri whatever - then you need to get the bike that fits best.  Or if you don't get the bike that fits best, then be prepared to make adjustments to make it fit right, which isn't a big deal... it just means that you may need to add on parts or modify the bike in a manner that will cost you seconds (yeah, seconds) and energy.

But to say that you'll know what bike you want to buy after riding it for 10 miles, I don't think that will happen.  That's I'm saying to do the research about bikes before you go to the bike shop of choice.  They can put you on a Cervelo P4 (they won't, but they could in theory) and let you ride it for 10 miles or even 10 minutes on the trainer... all good, but you won't really get the feel for riding aero and ultimately for the bike until you've spent some significant time with it.  One good thing about buying new, is that short of crashing, the bike won't lose value if you find that you don't like it in a month.  A great aspect of buy used is that if you get a good deal, you can still turn around and sell it without losing too much.
2009-08-13 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Sort of, you're close.

What is true is that coming off your previous bike (no matter what type), a new bike will FEEL much different...snappier, maybe softer or stiffer, and something that feels really great on a test ride may not be optimal for how you end up using that bike. Example: If you test ride a carbon frame vs. an aluminum frame, it's clear that the aluminum is stiffer. Period. And on a test ride with a new seat for <10 miles, it'll feel darned good. However, lots of cyclists have gone to carbon to soften the ride - aluminum is a pretty harsh ride if you're putting 100+ miles/week on less than smooth roads.

And what also is true is that your body and your comfort / position are from your current bike. As Jeremy said perfectly, if they drop you on a new bike in the aero position, 'textbook' setup,  you may feel comfortable, you may not. You'll certainly be using your muscles differently. So it's another variable. And over time, it will change as you find out if you want to ride steep vs. slack, etc.

So you've got 3 variables: materials, muscle memory, and position, all of which will be brand new to you on a 20 mile test ride. It's really hard to get a 100% match on a bike with those three in play. A test ride will likely not tell you the 'right' answer, but it certainly will highlight a 'wrong' answer.

Lastly...the only thing you really can't 'undo' with a bike purchase is the frame - you're stuck with the top tube length, materials, etc.  In contrast, forks (unless integrated), wheels, components, bars, stems, seats, posts all can be swapped relatively easily. IMHO The value in the fit is to get you on a frame THAT ISN'T WRONG, and keep adjusting it over time by tweaking less-expensive components to get optimal.  But there are no absolutes.
2009-08-13 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

I think the main issue is that "for awhile" is going to be different for each person.  The way it was explained to me when I got into this sport and what Bike Sport did when I showed up on their doorstep, is that a bunch of measurements would be taken and based on these, some recommendations for bikes would be made.  Based on these recommendations and your budget would determine what would work for you.  Once you get the bike, from my experience is that it takes many miles in the saddle before you get used to the fit and then you might have to go through several refits to get it right.  Plus you might go through several saddles before you find the right one.
2009-08-13 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2341466

Regular
Lansdale, PA
I joined the Bike Sport MI waiting club this past April. Took 8 weeks to the day for my Felt B12 to arrive. If Tom had told me 8 weeks fine i would have been prepared. When he told me 10days i expected 10 days. Another gentleman in my club went in Feb to get fitting for a P2 and finally got his  two weeks after me. Too Long! His knowledge in incredible but he needs a business manager to take over the shop so he can just focus on Fitting. For god sake one of the telephone promts is "If you need to know the satus of an order press 2" I think he knows he's got a problem. Fraser bike from now on. Awsome service Ron gets it a double thumbs up for service.
2009-08-13 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Small Town

2009-08-13 12:58 PM

I ordered a cervelo s1 from bikesport back in june and was told 2 weeks. After 2 months came around i was just going to cancel the order so i called other shops to see if they had the bike and none of them had it. Most were saying that they wont get anymore in until the new 2010 models come out. Other shops said that they were on very long back order and wouldnt be sure if cervelo would still be making them when i would get mine. I went to bikesport to tell them that and apparently they knew. It made me wonder how long they would wait before telling me i wasn't going to get my bike. But it seemed they did feel bad about making me wait and everything. So when i was down there yesterday he ordered me a felt f4 which is a $3000 bike and is only charging me the $2000 that i would have paid for the s1. Now i was told he would try to get me 2-3 day shipping so i hope that works out. But other then the bikes taking awhile to order, bikesport is a pretty good store. They are very nice and know what they are talking about. Im pretty much a usual customer there i only live like 10 blocks away and am there like once a week or so buying crap. Also they have great prices on everything it always seems like everything is on sale i don't think i've ever paid full price for anything there.
2009-08-13 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2346659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Danny55567 - 2009-08-13 1:58 PM I ordered a cervelo s1 from bikesport back in june and was told 2 weeks. After 2 months came around i was just going to cancel the order so i called other shops to see if they had the bike and none of them had it. Most were saying that they wont get anymore in until the new 2010 models come out. Other shops said that they were on very long back order and wouldnt be sure if cervelo would still be making them when i would get mine. I went to bikesport to tell them that and apparently they knew. It made me wonder how long they would wait before telling me i wasn't going to get my bike. But it seemed they did feel bad about making me wait and everything. So when i was down there yesterday he ordered me a felt f4 which is a $3000 bike and is only charging me the $2000 that i would have paid for the s1. Now i was told he would try to get me 2-3 day shipping so i hope that works out. But other then the bikes taking awhile to order, bikesport is a pretty good store. They are very nice and know what they are talking about. Im pretty much a usual customer there i only live like 10 blocks away and am there like once a week or so buying crap. Also they have great prices on everything it always seems like everything is on sale i don't think i've ever paid full price for anything there.

Good luck to you Danny.  Just like on their website (the link that Jeremy posted) which says the majority of their bike ship from stock, that's what I was told.  Tom told me because it was in the warehouse it'd be 2-3 days.  That 2-3 days ended up stretching into over 6 weeks.  They kept blaming it on Felt saying that they were behind on their shipping.  I seriously question this though.  If I had to guess, the money I paid probably went to fund someone else's bike and I had to wait for someone else to make a purchase to fund mine.  Of course that's just speculation and I have no proof of that, but that's just my gut read on the situation there.
2009-08-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2346659

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Danny55567 - 2009-08-13 1:58 PM  So when i was down there yesterday he ordered me a felt f4 which is a $3000 bike and is only charging me the $2000 that i would have paid for the s1. Now i was told he would try to get me 2-3 day shipping so i hope that works out.

Please let us know when your bike comes in.  Our bike was overnighted at one point, never showed.  Then it came in while we were on vacation and amazingly wasn't there when I called to set up a fitting.  If it truly comes in by the end of the week I'd be shocked.  I certainly hope you don't have the same issues as we did.

Good luck

2009-08-13 2:14 PM

Thanks looks like ill need all the luck i can get lol. They told me 2-3 days yesterday (wed) so sat ill go down there to see if its in or what they have to say. Then if its not in by wednesday Im going to cancel it and never go back there for anything again.
2009-08-13 2:59 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
I have to say that although I got my bike used, I've gotten everything else at Cadence. They run a tight ship, and just about everyone I know who's worked with them is happy. I've gotten my tri racing suit, gotten laces, race blets, race gel, water bottles, cages, cleats, and lots and lots of free advice. The word on the street is that Angel is excellent at fitting, and he knows his stuff. If I ever have the money to buy a new bike, it'll go to Cadence. (yes, I am POOR. I'm lucky that I got my bike when I found out a friend has posted it on CL. It was luck. I'd be racing on a MT bike without that piece of luck.)

2009-08-13 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I understand being tight on money, thats what made it that more frustrating.  When you hand someone nearly $2000 you expect a service and not games full of BS.  The wife has busted her butt to do her first Tri and wanted a chance to get a bike fitted to her and sometime to train on it.  At the rate Bikesport was working we would've been retired and out of state by the time it came in.

I'll be contacting Cadence for a fitting for K and I'm still looking for a Felt and will probably deal with them.  I was shocked when K called Fraser and got the price of a Felt knocked down by a few $ but then there was a $200 fee for fitting.  WTF you by a nice ride and have to pay for a fitting, thanks but no thanks.  So between Fraser being on the other side of the world from a west sider and the fitting fee I see no reason to deal with them.

I just wish on our visits and calls I could've talked to Angel first, but we'll give him a shot and he's quite a bit closer.

Edited by rottieguy 2009-08-13 5:04 PM
2009-08-13 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2347288

No Tri-Bike here, but bad service from BikeSport.   I bought a trainer and when I was shoppnig and asking questions I got all kinds of answers.  After I spent my money and had a problem, I could not get a response.

Sure it was only a $300 total order, but no answers after I had a problem.  That told me all I needed to know.  In the Businees my famly owns we know a little about customer service.

Too bad about the stroke, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  I do hope Tom is donig better.

Joe
2009-08-14 8:17 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
It was not in any way my intention for this thread to turn into a rant about Bikesport. I have been in there twice, had great service both times. (However, I was only making two inconsequential purchases.)

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. It's very helpful.
2009-08-14 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

I will say something, if you do decide to go into bikesport and shop for a bike/get a bike there, Make an Appointment.  Most of the time they are too busy for this or that to give you a hand coming in off the street.  I have been in there several times and not been given the time of day, it was really really frustrating.  I made an appointment when I wanted to go in and get fit prior to purchasing and had Tom's full attention.  Same when I picked the bike up, the fit took hours and i had his full attention.

2009-08-17 12:51 PM

User image

Stanton
What a great thread.  This is my 2nd season trying to be a triathlete and am starting to look to upgrade my ride for next yr.  Now you want to talk about being on the the other side of the state.  I am at least 2 hours from anything on the east side. 
Looks like I am going to hit A2 and Saline for some bike shopping, and possibly Frasier, might as well make a day out of it. I am assumeing that I should make an appointment at each place.
One question. Why a tri bike?  What are the advantages to a tri bike compared to a 2k road bike? I kind of understand the geometry and angles are different, but will an avg age group guy know the diffrerence?  thanks for the help.

2009-08-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2348461

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Shortyy - 2009-08-14 11:23 AM

I will say something, if you do decide to go into bikesport and shop for a bike/get a bike there, Make an Appointment.  Most of the time they are too busy for this or that to give you a hand coming in off the street.  I have been in there several times and not been given the time of day, it was really really frustrating.  I made an appointment when I wanted to go in and get fit prior to purchasing and had Tom's full attention.  Same when I picked the bike up, the fit took hours and i had his full attention.

I'll even go further...don't make the appointment for a weekend...Saturdays are usually wall-to-wall in Bikesport. Also...at least for me, Tom's been open to coming in an hour early on Saturday (before normal shop hours) to do the work. That eliminates the 'competition' with other customers.

Lastly, if you have to do a Saturday during normal hours, bring a bike that you can ride on the Computrainers. If you end up waiting, at least you'll get a ride in.
2009-08-18 1:10 PM

Macomb Township MI

I went to Bikesport and had my fit done....ordered my Felt from Tom.  I was told the 1-2 weeks.  My bike took 6 weeks to come in.  My patience was really wearing thin but I kept my order.  When the bike came in I went back for the final fitting which they promptly scheduled and that went well.  I really wish they would of been more up front on how long the bike was going to take...as they must have a good idea if its going to be 1 week or 6.

I have since also been to Fraser and I really like the general atmosphere in there more.  I have purchased some small things there and have asked them many questions and was impressed.   I have heard nothing but good things from their customers. 

Hindsight I would go to Fraser.

2009-08-20 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I bought my P2SL from Tom last year and had the same headaches everyone has mentioned.  I will say this though, they took care of me when the bike finally came in.  Threw in some goodies since I traveled from Grand Rapids.  Long story short, the first time I was heading to pick up the bike I got a call on my cell asking if I had left yet because there was a problem and I wouldn't be able to get the bike.  Problem was I was 10 miles from his store.....

Anyway, they took care of me and I am happy with my bike.  How they can manage to stay afloat with all the negative pub is amazing.

Slight hijack, what's the story about a stroke?  At his age and fitness level, a stroke seems totally out of the equation...Anyone know some specifics?

2009-08-20 12:15 PM

Macomb Township MI

Tom talked to me about it.  Cliff notes was a heart abnormality of sorts...and he has since had surgery to correct the issue. 

2009-08-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2360442

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

ParadigmPerformance - 2009-08-20 1:15 PM

Tom talked to me about it.  Cliff notes was a heart abnormality of sorts...and he has since had surgery to correct the issue. 

Does that mean 100% recovery and full racing schedule?  Business running issues aside, he loves endurance sports and provides very detailed reviews and tips on his site....I don't wish health problems on anyone!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where did you get your tri bike? Rss Feed  

of 2