BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-04-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees MENTOR GROUP--OPEN! :)
Can I be in two mentor groups? I didn't see you guys down here and I signed up with Mixie's group last night. Any idea why this is in a different area on the board? As nervous as I am about training for my first tri this fall, I probably need all the help I can get!! LOL

2008-04-26 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1363631

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Reno8 - 2008-04-26 1:23 PM

OMG....could I be so lucky to be picked for this group...PLEASE, please, please.

If you are only going to pick persons who wear a bra and go crazy about once a month...well I will have to go to the back of the closet for the push-up and just mirror my wife about the 3rd week on the calendar.....otherwise I am your man. 

Hmmm, I don't know Steve...do you have T.I.T.S.?
2008-04-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1364007

User image

Melon Presser
MrsUSMC - 2008-04-26 8:25 PM
Reno8 - 2008-04-26 1:23 PM

OMG....could I be so lucky to be picked for this group...PLEASE, please, please.

If you are only going to pick persons who wear a bra and go crazy about once a month...well I will have to go to the back of the closet for the push-up and just mirror my wife about the 3rd week on the calendar.....otherwise I am your man. 

Hmmm, I don't know Steve...do you have T.I.T.S.?

LMAO

Best response ever.

BUNNY DARLING ...

I don't see why you can't be in two groups. You will probably naturally find yourself gravitating more toward or posting in one more as time passes, but it could also be good to get the different perspectives you'll get from the two mentors as well as the others in the group.

Welcome aboard!

2008-04-26 10:04 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks, Yanti!! Here's my bio:

NAME: BunnyB / Melissa

STORY: I'm 44 years old and divroced. I'm originally from Tennessee, but I've been living in southern California for about 11.5 years. Ever since I saw one of the Kona races on TV for the first time, I've been intrigued by triathlons and wanted to do one. However, I was extremely overweight (330+ pounds) at the time, so I pretty much shelved that notion immediately. LOL

After having lost some weight and successfully recovering from a multi-level spinal fusion last year, when my dear friend Terri (MrsUSMC) mentioned she was interested in doing a tri, I was immediately on-board with the idea. So, here I am. My first race will be the Subaru Women's Triathlon Series down in San Diego on October 19, and I'll be doing it with Terri.

The scariest part of that for me that I'm still struggling to actually learn to ride a bike. I never learned how as a kid. Yes, that's right, I actually signed up for a triathlon before mastering how to ride a bike.

I have a pretty demanding job and a nasty commute. I work in the IT department of a large research and development center that supports the Air Force. I commute ~30 miles each way for work, so I'm losing a good 90-120 minutes each day sitting on my a$$ in a car.

I'm seriously considering moving closer to my work when my lease is up at the end of August just to regain some valuable time in my schedule. The other advantage of living up in the Redondo/Hermosa Beach area is that it would provide a lot of opportunities for biking on The Strand and working on my OWS. I would even be close enough to work that I could ride my bike (once I finish learning to ride it ) which would be nice, too.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm just kind of winging it. Since I'm still doing more walking than running when I "wog", I've been focusing on increasing the time of my running segments. My plan is to start the Pates sprint training plan on May 18 which will take me the 22 weeks up to my tri in October. Even though the race I'm doing is a super sprint, I thought I would use the sprint training plan. I figure if I train for the sprint distance, then I should have no problem finishing a super sprint. I've been toying in my head with doing the Tinsel Tri sprint distance race in Hemet in mid-December, too.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Mostly running events. I've already done two 5ks this year and have 3 more on the books over the summer (May 25, June 14, and July 26). There is also a 10k option at the July race, but I haven't decided if I'm going to just work on improving on my 5k race, or if I want to challenge myself and go for the longer 10k distance.

WEIGHTLOSS: This is definitely another major challenge area for me. I have lost nearly 80 pounds from my top weight, but I still have a long way (100+ more pounds) to go before reaching my ultimate goal. I had been a lot closer, but ended up regaining a lot of weight during the 18 or so months of my back issues which ultimately resulted in the surgery. So, I'm back at it again. Let me tell you, having to lose the same weight again that you had previously lost sucks! LOL

I've really found myself having a LOT of anxiety related to my weight lately, too. I have a massive fear that I won't be able to find a wetsuit that fits. I've already accepted the fact that I'll most likely have to buy a man's wetsuit since ones designed for women rarely go above 175 pounds or so, but even that terrifies me because 1) I'm short (5'4") and 2) I'm extremely round since I'm a apple shape. While I know I need to let that motivate me to eat clean and stick with my food plan, I find myself emotionally eating, usually junk food, when I start feeling anxious about it which definitely doesn't help the situation.

Ok, I'll stop now before this turns into a short novel. I know, too late. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all better.
2008-04-27 4:25 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Ohhhh... can I switch from being a winter mentor to a summer mentee now?  I heard something about a pink ship...

Edited because, apparently, I am not so hot with the spelling at 5:30 a.m.

Edited by mila 2008-04-27 4:32 AM
2008-04-27 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1364228

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
mila - 2008-04-27 4:25 AM

Ohhhh... can I switch from being a winter mentor to a summer mentee now?  I heard something about a pink ship...

Edited because, apparently, I am not so hot with the spelling at 5:30 a.m.

Mila! 

Weclome to the Pink Ship - what would a pink ship be without you?

2008-04-27 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Thanks, Beth!  I'll swipe my bio from my mentor thread and paste it here later. 

2008-04-27 10:08 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees MENTOR GROUP-- Closed :)

Well gang, we have a great line up here!

Sunshine, Terri, Leslie, Dolores, Shawn, Jeannette, Steve, Renee, Melissa, Mila, Erin, Will, Yanti, and Beth

(Erin and Will haven't posted yet, but will be posting soon)

So, I think this is it -

Yanti will update our thread name to indicate that the group is full and let us know what the next steps are.  Since we technically never were 'live' I'm not sure if we will just be moved out of the staging area - I guess we'll find out

Edited by lastcall2003 2008-04-27 10:19 AM
2008-04-27 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Good morning all!

I know this has been posted elsewhere on BT, but I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing here. I moved my iTunes to another drive on my computer yesterday and when DH went to move all my music it deleted my playlists and duplicated all my music. Today I'm going thru recreating my playlists and am right now setting up my "running" list.

What's on YOUR "running" list?

A couple of mine are Snow Patrol's "Chocolate" and "Run" and 3Style "Way U Move."

2008-04-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1364470

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2008-04-27 10:52 AM Good morning all! I know this has been posted elsewhere on BT, but I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing here. I moved my iTunes to another drive on my computer yesterday and when DH went to move all my music it deleted my playlists and duplicated all my music. Today I'm going thru recreating my playlists and am right now setting up my "running" list. What's on YOUR "running" list? A couple of mine are Snow Patrol's "Chocolate" and "Run" and 3Style "Way U Move."

I'd love to hear what everyone has - I was thinking as I was running yesterday that I need to set up a play list that is just for running

I know one I would put on there for sure is

Matchbox twenty - How Far We've Come

2008-04-27 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

MrsUSMC - 2008-04-27 11:52 AM Good morning all! I know this has been posted elsewhere on BT, but I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing here. I moved my iTunes to another drive on my computer yesterday and when DH went to move all my music it deleted my playlists and duplicated all my music. Today I'm going thru recreating my playlists and am right now setting up my "running" list. What's on YOUR "running" list? A couple of mine are Snow Patrol's "Chocolate" and "Run" and 3Style "Way U Move."

Hey Terri,

I teach indoor cycling classes and have quite a few playlists that translate well for running, too.  I'll try to post them as I create them so everyone can pick and choose from them .

2008-04-27 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

OK, so here goes...

I'm Mila... (pronounced My-la)... my username used to be Milaminute for those of you who have been around for awhile.

I sort of fell into triathlon... well, not literally, though that wouldn't surprise most people who know me.  My athletic background was pretty limited.  Growing up I was a competitive figure skater.  I also did some road and mountain biking but was never serious about either one.  As an indoor cycling instructor, I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of very cool triathletes who really inspired me and encouraged me to branch out from the bike and hit the water and the running trail.  When I started training for my first tri, I could barely swim 25 meters and running my first mile was a victory.  I was a true beginner.  I still have a lot to learn but I also have a lot to share, particularly about cycling. 

As for training, I am using BT silver training plans that have been slightly modified to meet my needs for extra time on my pretty bike so I can crush the bike leg of HIM relays or play at bike TTs from time to time.

Last season I did Iron Girl and was then sidelined by an injury that prevented me from racing the remainder of the summer; however, I was able to do the bike leg of the SC HIM in September to finish my season on a high note.  

My 2008 schedule is still tentative as I'm currently working very hard on balance... I have a new job (that involves my passion for cycling!!!!) that is keeping me crazy busy right now, but I don't mind too much as I subscribe to the whole do what you love, love what you do thing.  However, with all that said, I'm hoping to do Iron Girl in June as well as a sprint tri in August and 1 or 2 HIM relays.  

Hmmmm... what else?  I like pink .  I have to overcome a lot of obstacles to train and race because I have a minor health condition (read: major) that makes my body, and life in general, unpredictable.  I am also in the process of getting a medical diagnosis for my youngest child who has some sort of medical "mystery" and this throws a wrench into things from time to time as testing and hospital visits can be time consuming.  With that said, my belief is that if I can do this, anyone can. 

I truly enjoy learning from and with others as well as motivating and encouraging people and I think mentor groups are a great way to do just that.  Be warned though, I do approach things with a bit of sassiness and I will likely try to remind you that every mile you go as you swim, bike and run is a gift because that's exactly how I see it.

Edited by mila 2008-04-27 11:47 AM
2008-04-27 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Alrighty then... here are a few songs from yesterday's playlist:

- Snow by RHCP
- When Your Heart Stops Beating by +44
- Sound of Freedom by Bob Sinclair and Cutee B
- I Just Wanna Live by Good Charlotte
- I'd Do Anything by Simple Plan
- Rockstar (It's Almost Over Now) by NERD
- More Time by Needtobreathe
- High Road by Fort Minor
- 4 Minutes by Madonna, JT and Timbaland... this is not a song I would typically like but I am, admittedly, stupidly excited enough about it that it's my current ring tone
- Hum Hallelujah by Fall Out Boy
- Check Yes Juliet by We The Kings

And... I've saved the best for last...

- The You Shook Me Remix... this would be the AC/DC song You Shook Me All Night Long with a bunch of 80s hair bands sampled into it (I like to call it songs from my youth), including Bon Jovi, Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, Van Halen, Def Leppard and (not so much an 80s hair band but included) Nirvana.  Every time I play this people go crazy over it!!

ETA:  That remix is not so easy to find... you might have to try, uhhhh, "alternative" methods... but it's worth the search!

Edited by mila 2008-04-27 12:24 PM
2008-04-27 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Did a 10k race this morning will get a Race report up when i get official times.
2008-04-27 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
MrsUSMC - 2008-04-27 8:52 AM

What's on YOUR "running" list?

Oooh, I can't wait to see what other people listen to since I'm always looking for new mixes. Here's a few of my current running mix playlists, depending on my musical mood.

Hip/Hop:

Start the Commotion - The Wiseguys
Let's Get It Started - Black Eyed Peas
The Way You Move - Outkast
Crank Dat - Soulja Boy
Family Affair - Mary J. Blige
Gold Digger - Kanye West
Yeah - Usher
'Till I Collapse - Eminem
Remember the Name - Fort Minor
Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
Hey Ya - Outkast
Lose Yourself - Eminem
Numb/Encore - Linkin Park & Jay-Z
Hate It or Love It - 50 Cent & The Game
Feel It - Black Eyed Peas

Classic Rock Mix:

In the Name of Love - U2
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
Listen to the Music - The Doobie Brothers
Message in a Bottle - The Police
More Than a Feeling - Boston
Rock the Casbah - The Clash
Cold as Ice - Foreigner
All Over the World - ELO
Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac

90's Mix:

Good Vibrations - Marky Mark
Waterfalls - TLC
The Boy is Mine - Brandy
Ray of Light - Madonna
Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
Rock Me Gently - Erasure
Supermodel - RuPaul
Gettin' Jiggy Wit It - Will Smith
If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters

Power Songs Mix:

Start Me Up - Rolling Stones
Let's Get It Started - Black Eyed Peas
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme) - DeEtta Little & Nelson Pigford
Move Along - All-American Rejects
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Beautiful Day - U2
Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
Proud - Heather Small

I haven't put this one together myself, but this is one another running friend of mine uses:

80's Mix:

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Message in a Bottle - The Police
Modern Love - David Bowie
One Way or Another - Blondie
Dancing with Myself - Billy Idol
Urgent - Foreigner
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
Take On Me - A-Ha
Come Dancing - The Kinks
2008-04-27 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Wow, am I ever glad I asked!!

Here's what's in my current list - I'm definitely going to be adding to it though after looking what's been posted so far. A couple of mine are also a little hokey, but the beat's good for me....

Bom Bom Bom - Living Things
Back to Me - Kathleen Edwards
Based On a True Story - Ms. Triniti
Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
Bloom - Mindi Abair
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Calling All Angels - Train
Chocolate - Snow Patrol
Clocks - Coldplay
Way U Move - 3Style
Headlights On Dark Roads - Snow Patrol
Hung Up - Madonna
Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Desert Rose - Sting
Galang - M.I.A.
Holiday - Green Day
Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down

They're all out of order

2008-04-27 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Terri - Seeing your list definitely makes me want to update a couple of my mixes. I LOVE Crazy by Gnarls Barkley.

Mila - I just heard the 4 Minutes song for the first time yesterday. That one will definitely have to go into my playlist, too!
2008-04-27 2:02 PM

User image

Melon Presser
FULL 
FULL
FULL

I can't edit the title right now, but as Beth pointed out, we have a STELLAR and FULL roster and I am so excited we are all together for this stage in our journeys!!! 
2008-04-27 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hey gang!  I need to go back and read through all the recent posts, but I thought I'd just say hi and say I finished my duathlon this morning, time 1:45, won Athena, and had a fun time.  Will post a link to my rr when I get a chance to write it!

-Leslie

2008-04-27 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Wow deja vu I just read this elsewhere hahahah. Congrats again

Here is my rr

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I didn't win though
2008-04-27 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congrats to you both, Leslie and Shawn!

2008-04-27 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
WTG Leslie & Shawn!!
2008-04-27 4:38 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Wow, you go house hunting and lay down for a quick nap and WOW - look at all the activity

this is getting better and better!

2008-04-27 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
2008-04-27 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Ok, this is just crazzzzzzzzzzzzy for those of us in SoCal. As of 3:10pm.

It's waaaaaaaaaaay too early in the year for this! Thankfully, we won't have to put up with it much longer. Our forecasted high for Wednesday is only in the 60's.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47