BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-12-18 4:20 AM
in reply to: #1860169

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now
zenkimm - 2008-12-17 9:42 PM

You didn't tell me you were doing a group! If you decide to take any more let me know because I want on board. Perhaps some bribery... a little red wine maybe?

Well, gosh if you put it that way, I might just have to let you in anyway...

Edited by enders_shadow 2008-12-18 4:21 AM

2008-12-18 4:23 AM
in reply to: #1856410

User image

Champion
So what's on tap today, everyone?

Busy days? Shopping? Holiday parties? A little training?

I'm heading out for a quick run this morning...then some work and I better help Santa get my daughter's presents before school lets out Friday or someone's in big trouble (that would be me!). If I have time, I might hit the gym for a little cycle too.

(You might be wondering how I manage to work so little...I'm a professor - it's finals...I have to grade exams, but my schedule is pretty flexible right now...so another question - what do you all do?)

Have a great day!
2008-12-18 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1859360

User image

Expert
hoofchick - 2008-12-17 3:02 PM

Hmmm, goals....

There are a handful of sprint tris around here that I want to try (Green Lakes, Cazenovia, Skaneatelas. Are you doing any of those, Karen?) At this point, I just want to finish without walking (either the bike or the run). I'd love to not come in last, but I can deal with it if I am (I was fourth from last in my first 10K Thanksgiving week. I survived Smile). 

I started running consistently this summer. Because of failed attempts (due to injuries) the previous year, I've increased mileage VERY slowly and I'm only up to 7 miles. I would LOVE to do a half-mary this year and I'm thinking about doing Ottawa with some friends who are doing the full. Biking and swimming for fitness/competition are new territory.

I've lost 26 pounds since I started tri training (Oct 1) and I'd like to lose another 14. I'm doing WW and trying to do 30-90 minutes of cardio (run, spin, swim) 6 days a week. After the start of the new year, I'm going to add strength training and stretching/flexibility, too. Plus, I'm an avid horse rider although I've cut back to 4 times a week because I just don't have the energy/hours in a day to ride more. My mare doesn't mind, I'm sure, lol.

I have a husband, a step-son, a puppy, 3 cats and 4 horses. And a full-time job as a software engineer. I do love to sleep, but have been having trouble finding time for naps since I started tri training, lol. Can't wait for some days off for Christmas!

Can't think of anything else relevant.

Margo

Hi Margo!  I haven't done any of those, but have heard great things about the Skinnyman (skaneatawhoseewhatsit lake).  I've done the minimussel in geneva twice now, and highly recommend it!  It wouldn't be a tough drive from Syracuse, and it is really well run.  We have a place on Seneca Lake so if you don't have local options for open water swimming let me know and we can set up some workouts .  I also did the finger lakes triathlon in Canandaigua (longer for you), and have heard great things about both Sodus and one other one up in the Syracuse area (will have to think about that).

I am also a recovering horse person- I haven't been able to fit in riding for awhile, but had a horse and trained in dressage before my son (now 15) was born.  I tried getting back into it a few years ago, but I was riding once a week and it just wasn't the same.  Some day...  What kind of riding do you do?

And fanstastic job on the weight loss! 

2008-12-18 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1860433

User image

Expert

enders_shadow - 2008-12-18 5:23 AM So what's on tap today, everyone? Busy days? Shopping? Holiday parties? A little training? I'm heading out for a quick run this morning...then some work and I better help Santa get my daughter's presents before school lets out Friday or someone's in big trouble (that would be me!). If I have time, I might hit the gym for a little cycle too. (You might be wondering how I manage to work so little...I'm a professor - it's finals...I have to grade exams, but my schedule is pretty flexible right now...so another question - what do you all do?) Have a great day!

Hi Kristen- and everyone!

On tap for today... working, then I have an ED shift tonight (I am moonlighting), so it will be busy.  I have a workout in ink, highlighted, in my calendar at 3, in the gym.  I have a scratchy throat (grr- little germy vectors... I mean lovely sweet children), so I may do an easy warm up run and upper body weights. 

My boys are 15 and 12, which is just amazing to me.  I just had my 40th birthday last year!

2008-12-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1860593

User image

Champion
momandmd - 2008-12-18 9:23 AM
We have a place on Seneca Lake so if you don't have local options for open water swimming let me know and we can set up some workouts

Hey, I vacationed on Seneca Lake this past summer! I'm an oenophile (or wino, if you'd like), and we hadn't done the NY wine trail yet...the wine was not much to my liking (too sweet), but the area is gorgeous!

We were at a B&B on the southeast corner of the lake, right outside Watkins Glen.
2008-12-18 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1860603

User image

Champion
momandmd - 2008-12-18 9:27 AM

Hi Kristen- and everyone!

On tap for today... working, then I have an ED shift tonight (I am moonlighting), so it will be busy.  I have a workout in ink, highlighted, in my calendar at 3, in the gym.  I have a scratchy throat (grr- little germy vectors... I mean lovely sweet children), so I may do an easy warm up run and upper body weights. 

My boys are 15 and 12, which is just amazing to me.  I just had my 40th birthday last year!

Germy vectors - I love it!

My younger brother (expecting his first child in May) calls my daughters "carrier monkeys" because he always gets sick after he comes to visit us.

My monkeys are almost 4 and almost 7...I can't imagine them yet at 15 and 12. (3 year gap is good, though!) And I'm 36.

2008-12-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1860593

User image

Syracuse, NY

Hi Margo!  I haven't done any of those, but have heard great things about the Skinnyman (skaneatawhoseewhatsit lake).  I've done the minimussel in geneva twice now, and highly recommend it!  It wouldn't be a tough drive from Syracuse, and it is really well run.  We have a place on Seneca Lake so if you don't have local options for open water swimming let me know and we can set up some workouts .  I also did the finger lakes triathlon in Canandaigua (longer for you), and have heard great things about both Sodus and one other one up in the Syracuse area (will have to think about that).

I am also a recovering horse person- I haven't been able to fit in riding for awhile, but had a horse and trained in dressage before my son (now 15) was born.  I tried getting back into it a few years ago, but I was riding once a week and it just wasn't the same.  Some day...  What kind of riding do you do?

Hi! I haven't heard of the minimussel. Geneva is beautiful. I'll have to check that out! I'll try googling later (I'm at work now and really shouldn't be playing here Innocent).

We have more in common - dressage is my passion (obsession?). I have a Trakehner mare that is teaching me wonderful things about softness and lightness and I have her three-year-old colt who will be started this spring. I also have my two Quarter Horses from my AQHA years (animals are family here and I wouldn't dream of parting with them once they come to live with me. they're retired and don't seem to be complaining, lol).

I have a 9yo step-son and a 19yo step-daughter. DSS lives with us, DSD is away at college.

Kristen, I would love to do a wine tour around the Finger Lakes. DH and I just haven't found the time to do it. I kind of like my wine on the sweet side, so that sounds promising. Do you have any plans to return to the area?

2008-12-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1860635

User image

Expert

enders_shadow - 2008-12-18 9:39 AM
momandmd - 2008-12-18 9:23 AM We have a place on Seneca Lake so if you don't have local options for open water swimming let me know and we can set up some workouts
Hey, I vacationed on Seneca Lake this past summer! I'm an oenophile (or wino, if you'd like), and we hadn't done the NY wine trail yet...the wine was not much to my liking (too sweet), but the area is gorgeous! We were at a B&B on the southeast corner of the lake, right outside Watkins Glen.

I am not a sweet wine fan- you just have to know where to go.  We've gotten to know some of the winemakers, so let me know if you are coming back to the area!  I am also a "wino" .  Our place is on the east side of the lake, about halfway down, in Ovid.

2008-12-18 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1860736

User image

Expert
hoofchick - 2008-12-18 10:11 AM

Hi! I haven't heard of the minimussel. Geneva is beautiful. I'll have to check that out! I'll try googling later (I'm at work now and really shouldn't be playing here Innocent).

We have more in common - dressage is my passion (obsession?). I have a Trakehner mare that is teaching me wonderful things about softness and lightness and I have her three-year-old colt who will be started this spring. I also have my two Quarter Horses from my AQHA years (animals are family here and I wouldn't dream of parting with them once they come to live with me. they're retired and don't seem to be complaining, lol).

I have a 9yo step-son and a 19yo step-daughter. DSS lives with us, DSD is away at college.

Kristen, I would love to do a wine tour around the Finger Lakes. DH and I just haven't found the time to do it. I kind of like my wine on the sweet side, so that sounds promising. Do you have any plans to return to the area?

Your mare sounds wonderful- post pics!  And to start the colt- what a great opportunity.  Do you train with someone in Syracuse?

The minimussel link is www.musselmantri.com.

2008-12-18 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Good morning!

Here is my 'about me' and some of my goals for this 2009....

It is all subject to change a little bit, as I am waiting to hear whether insurance is going to accept my claim for breast reduction surgery.  If they do, that will happen in January and I will have 6 weeks of nothing except being everyone's cheerleader while I heal.  Then I will hit the ground running.  If they deny my claim, well, I am going to just have to deal with the discomfort for another season!

About me....I am going to turn 40 in February.....which is weird, as I feel like I just turned 30 yesterday.  But that will be good, as the 35-39 AG is usually the most competitive one. I am a stay-at-home mom of two boys, ages 3 and almost 6 (January 4), married to a guy who does special effects for video games.  I live in a town called Sammamish, which is a suburb of Seattle/Redmond, Washington.  Just about everyone in this town works at Microsoft.  I had a career before having kids but I don't remember what it was.  I wish I could be a pro triathlete, but I am too old and too slow.  I generally race in the Athena category, when it is available, and usually win, which is fun.  I have done 10 triathlons in the past two years, which has been very addictive.  My usual complaints are lack of time due to my family's schedule and their needing me to feed, clothe, bathe or entertain them.  Luckily it is getting easier for me to escape for longer workouts and races as the kids get older, so I have my sights set high for the next couple of seasons.  Lynne and I do a lot of racing, training and general troublemaking together.  She would probably tell you that I am a spaz and that my kids are cute and funny.  Right, Lynne?

The for-sure races are:

• 1/1 Resolution Run 5K and jump into Lake Washington.  I will be doing this one w/Lynne.
  • June-Rock N Roll Half Marathon
  • June-Moses Lake Olympic Triathlon
  • August-Beaver Lake Sprint and also Lake Sammamish Sprint

MAYBE races include:

• 1/2 Mary sometime  before June, as I haven't done one before.  I was training for a fall one, but tore my ankle ligaments in October while trail running and had to take 6 weeks off of running....so I am building my endurance now.
  • Another 1 or 2 Olympic-distance this summer.  There aren't a ton of these offered around here so I need to be vigilant to find ones that fit in.
  • 1/2 Ironman. There, I said it.  Possibly Lake Stevens in August.  Stay tuned.
  • Mt. Rainier Duathlon in April IF I don't have surgery.  It was fun last year, would enjoy it again.
  • A few more sprints, when I can afford them.

Other goals:

• Lose weight....I lost 50 pounds prior to Aug 07 but have since put 15 lb back on. Winter is tough, as I enjoy food too much.  I am confident that I will lose it, and more this year.  It's a lifelong struggle, and I know I just have to be consistent.
  • LUNA Chix Triathlon Team...I have an application in to join the LUNA Chix, a group of women who puts on triathlon clinics and represents LUNA Bars during the season.  I think I have a good chance of being on the team, but don't know yet.  My hopes are up but it's out of my control now.  http://www.seattletrilunachix.com/

2008-12-18 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Today we are having a snowstorm, so the area is shut down, no way to get anywhere or do anything.  I may set my bike up on my trainer and ride for a while.  And of course I will play in the snow, once it stops.   I live on a plateau and everything is downhill from my house--that combined with a serious lack of snowplows makes snow days last for weeks.  It is beautiful, though!  Generally during the winter I run outdoors, bike at spin class or on the trainer and swim and lift weights at the gym, following an off-season BT plan.  I have slacked a bit of late, but am trying to be kind to myself, remembering that the year is long and I have plenty of training time ahead.  Being a part of a mentor group always helps!

2008-12-18 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Sounds like you have some awesome goals, Leslie! Luna Chix sounds like fun - hope you get it!
2008-12-18 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
I thought I would expand on my goals and such:

Story: I decided to start training for a triathlon in the spring of 06 because I was bored just going to the gym with no goal in mind. Ends up a good friend of mine used to do triathlons when he was younger, so I immediately had someone to share my goal with. I ended up doing a sprint triathlon in September of that year. (ended up doing the side stroke, rode a hybrid bike, and walked most of the run,) The next year I did 3 sprints (and a half marathon,) improving my time on each one.

2008: I only did one sprint, in May, but took 10 minutes off my time from the year before. (Swimming in a straight line will do wonders for your time) I also did my 2nd half marathon, a 10K, and a 5 mile race. Then we had our baby, so racing and most of my training went by the wayside.

2009: I see my race schedule as taking one of two paths. The first race I plan on doing is the Olathe Half Marathon at the end of March. If I am able to do the race and come out of it unscathed I would like to shoot for the Half Ironman in Lawrence, KS in June (its a half hour away from me.) If I struggle with the training or just don't feel like I will be ready by June, I will do local sprints and olympic distance races May-July and look to do the Redman half iron in September.

Weight loss: My goal is to lose about 20 pounds. I am right around 205 now, (I am lighter during race season as I have never been over 200 for a race), but I never can continue the weight loss going. My hope is that now that I have to report to all of you, I'll have no choice but to stick with eating healthy.

Family: I am married with a 5 month old boy, who is a lot of fun, but not a great sleeper, which has hampered my training. My wife is a runner and very motivated, so I'll have someone else kicking me in the butt if I start slacking. My dog Kasey is a good running partner as long as we don't see any rabbits on the path (she's a beagle mix)

Anyway, I look forward to training with all of you

Brian
2008-12-18 4:34 PM

User image

Champion
Awesome goals, Brian - that's great that you have 2 paths to pick from, depending on how things go...kind of like a "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" Book.

And it definitely helps to have a significant other who is like-minded...that's one thing that made a big switch in our family - I had lost weight before (and gained it right back), but when my hubby jumped on board, it went so much better. He doesn't tri - he runs a wee bit, but mostly is into lifting. Kind of a pain, since he doesn't get what I do - but he supports my gym time and our healthy eating style.

And good luck with that beautiful baby and sleeping...I hate to tell you this, but my first didn't sleep through until 11 months...but everyone was telling me to get her to sleep through before then.
2008-12-18 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

My goals are firstly to quit my bad habits.  Then I want to become a good runner. I want to actually see it as enjoyment and not just a workout.   I need to lose at least another 15lbs. I've lost around 10ish so far (My scales broke!

I hope to compete and finish without dying a marathon and a HIM next year.  Both aren't till middle and towards the end of the year so I am giving myself PLENTY of time to train and do it right!   But mostly to get healthier and become a better runner.

I have a couple of OWS next year, one being 3.2 miles.  I did the 1.2 mile last year as well as one across Lake Washington.  Just a bunch of fun and honestly much more relaxed. I've noticed this too about running events.  Once you're done you're done! Sweet!

SO really for me it's about training properly and not doing it half arsed and taking the time and having the patience to do it.  

2008-12-18 11:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

Woohoo! Kristen has agreed to let me come play with you guys and ordered me to post an intro/goals type thingie. It has been a crazy day, and I have not had a chance to sit down and think, but I will get on it first thing in the morning!

2008-12-19 5:44 AM

User image

Champion
Glad to see you, Kim!

I'm running behind this morning (one of my daughters has a school program this morning)...I'll be back later this morning!

Oh - and don't do what I did this morning...I turned off my alarm and slept through my workout.
2008-12-19 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
What's on deck for today, folks?

I went to my daughter's x-mas program, now I have to work for a bit, run some errands, and hopefully hit the gym for a little treadmill run. Then tonight, out for dinner and then drive around town looking at the tacky lights. (No, really - it's a thing here - they post up maps of the tackiest houses, you have to have at least 10,000 lights to qualify...it's a sight to behold.)
2008-12-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1862283

User image

Champion
Triathlynne - 2008-12-18 8:14 PM

My goals are firstly to quit my bad habits. 

SO really for me it's about training properly and not doing it half arsed and taking the time and having the patience to do it.  

I'm with you Lynne - those are great goals!

I personally struggle with that line between consistency and overdoing it...once I'm in a groove, I hate taking a rest day - and then if I take a rest day, I take another and another and another...something I'm working on!

If you can learn to enjoy running, maybe I can enjoy swimming? (Not likely, but I'll work on it!)
2008-12-19 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
A bit of a challenge, anyone?

I was completely intrigued by the no-sugar new year challenge in the weightloss forum, but for me, it's just too much - I can't go hard core, cold turkey on everything at once...so I'm going to pick one of my bad eating habits to attack for each of the 4 full weeks in January (starting Jan 5)...hopefully then, by the end of January, I'll be back to eating very clean again.

Anyone want to play along with me?

I'll post up what my goal for each week will be soon...and you all can keep me to it.
2008-12-19 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1863112

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
enders_shadow - 2008-12-19 7:22 AM
Triathlynne - 2008-12-18 8:14 PM

My goals are firstly to quit my bad habits. 

I'm with you Lynne - those are great goals! I personally struggle with that line between consistency and overdoing it...once I'm in a groove, I hate taking a rest day - and then if I take a rest day, I take another and another and another...something I'm working on! If you can learn to enjoy running, maybe I can enjoy swimming? (Not likely, but I'll work on it!)

And I have many of them....some of which I cannot break during the festive season. hehehe

I hate seeing yellow squares too, that's a bad habit.  Rest days are IMPORTANT! But urgh, if I don't want to swim or run. Eeek!

Have a nice weekend everyone! We're due another round of snow so it looks like driving for me is going to be a no no. 

2008-12-19 7:52 PM

User image

Regular
We have a 7am flight back home (New York), tomorrow, so I am going to be radio silent for a little bit. I still plan on working out while I am on vacation, so don't worry about me slacking off.

Have a good weekend everybody!!
2008-12-20 12:53 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hi gang....

I didn't get my workout today but hopefully can get to the gym tomorrow before we get slammed with another terrible storm.  My town is in the path of 70-90 mile per hour winds due Saturday night, and the nerves in my gut are acting up remembering last time this happened two years ago.  We were stuck without power for 5 days in below freezing temps and it was awful--especially the winds that caused it--it was the scariest thing I have ever been through.  We are plotting an escape before the storm hits, so that may take precedence to my working out.  Scary stuff.  At least today was gorgeous, here's a picture from my walk to the park.  More in my blog.  I will check in soon, safe travels to everyone.

2008-12-20 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Stay safe & stay warm, everyone. Check in when you can to let us know you're OK.

(Where I am, I've only ever lost power for multiple days during hurricane season - it must be really scary to lose it when it's so cold.)
2008-12-20 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1864651

User image

Expert

Hi everyone!

I like the bad food habit goal- I'll have to think about that one.

I still have a scratchy throat, and now a cough (grr), so I'll take it easy today.  I may try a short easy trainer ride later.

Keep warm!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 16