Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2008-12-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1856890

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL

Please please please!

I am a TOTAL newbie. I have never done a triathlon or any other athletic competition. EVER. I have been training at tthe gym for about two months in all three sports.

I want to do an Olympic (the Nation's Triathlon in DC) on my 40th birday in August 2010. I will be doing a mini-Sprint in April (already registered!) and need to have guidance in increasing my training.

Read my blog below if you want to know more!

2008-12-17 12:30 PM

User image

New York

Hey Gordo

If you still have room in your group I would like to join.  I’m 33 and  live in NYC.   After a long period of inactivity I’m finally getting back into exercising.    Right now I’m focused on getting into a routine of exercising on a regular basis by running, biking and lifting weights but will begin a more structured plan in January.  My diet is improving but I still want to shed about 10 lbs.  I’m currently 6’ 2” and 200lbs .   I have set a goal to participate in my first Duathalon at the end of March and my first Tri in June (both are sprint distance events).   

Doug

2008-12-17 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

Hi Gang,

I'm going to need a bit of time to run through the posts -- I was up in the Rockies this morning (Guinn Mtn, ~11K).

Great to see all the interest.

g

2008-12-17 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1859755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

OK Gang --

I'm in for everybody that hit the thread above this link.  What I'll do over the next 2 days is review your posts and answer any initial Qs that you have.

Feel free to start asking Qs as we get to know each other.

To get you started... I am a big believer in heart rate training.

===

If you are not familiar with my book, Going Long, or endurance training, then you are going to need a starting point for training intensity.

Three things to remember:

1 - Make sure you can hit tomorrow's training. If you need to back off today, to train tomorrow then do it.

2 - Always leave yourself room to lift your effort in the second half (intervals, sets, workouts, weeks, months, seasons, races). Your best results will come from building a habit of always being strong at the end.

3 - Endurance training is about building our capacity to absorb WORK, not endure pain.

The starting guidelines are designed to give you the best shot at maximizing work across your season.

With that opener... the following is my recommended starting point:

Easy = less than 160 minus "Your Age"
Steady = around 170 minus "Your Age"
Moderately-Hard = around 180 minus "Your Age"
Threshold = don't use any to start
VO2 = don't use any to start

On the User Forum, I want you to share workout data as well as how your training progresses. I will support you in adjusting your personal zones (heart rate, power, pace, effort) in the way that YOU like to train.

The most important thing to remember is maintaining the ability to back-it-up daily.

gordo

2008-12-17 4:50 PM

Master

Thanks Gordo!!

Looks like I need to get better at using my HR monitor.  BTW I only have the most basic one, all it tells me is my heart rate, is that ok?

2008-12-17 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1859765

User image

Master

Hmm, my library only has "Going long: the wild 10-year saga of the renegade American Football League"

I did just recently get a garmin 305 so can start training with HRM... but I haven't quite figured out all the gadgetry of the unit!  I'll endeavor to digest the manual!

2008-12-17 5:01 PM

Illinois

Sweeeeet!  My ironman buddies are going to be jealous that I get to ask Gordo for advice.

BB

2008-12-17 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Gordo how do you feel about "cross training?"  Especially in the off season?!  Right now I am huge into snowshoeing, rock climbing, trail running with no "real specific training" schedule.   When I am doing this stuff should I be thinking about HR, speed, distance, time, etc.... Or chalk it up to the off season, and keeping my base pretty high?
2008-12-17 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
YAY... thanks for taking me on...

I'm a gadget person, so I have the forerunner 305 w/HRM, and I have the cadence sensor on order... I also have a Timex Ironman to keep track of my swim laps... still haven't figured out how to monitor HR during swims (except the old fashioned way - which I haven't done) So, I've been using perceived effort during swims.

I'm supposed to cycle 20 minutes today - I was going to try out my new clipless pedals after I get them installed - but it's SNOWING - I know it means nothing to most of you... but I grew up in Los Angeles, and live in Las Vegas... I don't know how to deal with snow

2008-12-17 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1859863

User image

Regular
Essex, England

Superb thanks Gordo

have recently got a Garmin Forerunner 50 HRM and footpod so have started trying to train in zone 1-2 for longer runs which is going well. Must admit I have set my levels a touch higher than your suggested range as I am 38 and was using 160 as my upper limit for easy runs. Am doing 10k for those and am not at all out of breath so figured I was about right. I did a test to try to figure out my max using a guide I found somewhere. 5 mins flat out run then 3 mins jog then 5 mins flat out and measure HR. cant remember rest of it off hand but think max was 185.

Am so pleased to be in your group as had asked for your book from Santa

2008-12-17 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Garmin 305 w/HR monitor here!  I'll follow your directions and post workouts here.  Sounds great.

Lock-n-Load!  Can't wait.

2008-12-17 6:10 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland

Ok. I've been pretty much using RPE to try and stay in zone 1-2 to date. I'm game to move to the HRM and can probably spend a little money on it imediately after christmas, though, cheaper is probably better for me.

What equipment do you recommend? Keeping in mind, I've already got a good bike computer that does distance/cadence/speed/time/etc. and a watch for swimming: time/laps/etc.

I've also got the cyclists training bible, I know it does quite a bit on heart rate training. I'll read that section of the book again tonight before bed.

My schedule is a bit borked up atm I swapped some stuff around this week to be more convienent. 9 mile trainer ride tonight.

Edited by Beafly 2008-12-17 6:11 PM
2008-12-17 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Thanks Gordo!  This is going to be so cool...

Few quick questions to start.  I'm pretty much starting my running/biking from scratch.  Is there a particular program you would recommend?  Is it still best to train by HR in my situation?  How should I do the running part to stay within the appropriate zone since my HR skyrockets as soon as I start running?  Would it be best to do a very uncomfortable 16 or more min/mile or do a run/walk combo?  My max HR as done by a bike test earlier this year was 187.  Do you recommend using the BT hr zone calculator to figure out my zones?  

Dee

2008-12-17 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've got a pretty basic HR monitor w/ chest strap (Nike Imara), tells me what my HR is while active, has an interval timer and regular time, also tells calories burned and average HR for activity once done. Pretty good starter. 

Though I must admit I do get kinda confused with all this heart rate stuff because the medication that I take to prevent migraines effects my HR & BP so its sometime hard to tell if I'm over doing it or not working hard enough.

2008-12-17 6:48 PM

User image

Champion

looking forward to traveling this road together.

G.  thanks for taking us on as your mentees.

HR monitoring is new to me ie not something that ive done as part of my trng, but im a fast learner. 

ttow!

Edited by skrtrnr 2008-12-17 6:55 PM
2008-12-17 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Thanks Gordo.

Looking for a new HR monitor for Christmas.  Broke my old one.

2008-12-17 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1859765

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Thanks Gordo.  Looking forward to being a part of the group.  I have not incorporated any HR training yet but I'll be looking for a HR monitor this weekend. 

2008-12-18 7:14 AM

Veteran
Thanks gordo. I look forward to getting advice from a pro.... I will look into a HR monitor..... What is the target heart rate you think we should be at through training?
2008-12-18 8:53 AM

User image

Regular

Woo hoo!

I've been doing HR training pretty much exclusively so far, so this is a great match. I think it's a great way to build a string base, to just make your engine powerful before fine-tuning the performance. The machines at the gym have HR sensor built in, but I guess I need an HR monitor for going outside.

Thanks Gordo!

2008-12-18 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1860518

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

k-read23 - 2008-12-18 6:14 AM Thanks gordo. I look forward to getting advice from a pro.... I will look into a HR monitor..... What is the target heart rate you think we should be at through training?

Great question -- your target is to eat right and hit your training daily.  

Always give yourself 10-15 minutes to warm-up; then (if you are feeling good) sit around your "steady" heart rate.  If you want then some time around that mod-hard heart rate is OK.  There is little benefit, for now, of leaving your mod-hard zone.  

This is going to feel a bit "slow" when running but that is OK.  You'll get a lot of benefit from staying comfortably aerobic.

With your heart rate monitor (HRM) -- just get a simple version.  You don't need a fancy/expensive model.

g

2008-12-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1859938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
jenni4 - 2008-12-17 5:26 PM

Though I must admit I do get kinda confused with all this heart rate stuff because the medication that I take to prevent migraines effects my HR & BP so its sometime hard to tell if I'm over doing it or not working hard enough.

Jenn --

Welcome.  The feeling of concern between over-doing-it and not-doing-it-enough is one that we all face.  I get it too.

If you make a mistake in your training then err on the side of caution.  The most important thing is being out there exercising/moving/enjoying.

g

2008-12-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1859932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
DeputyDawg - 2008-12-17 5:17 PM

I'm pretty much starting my running/biking from scratch.  Is there a particular program you would recommend?  Is it still best to train by HR in my situation?  How should I do the running part to stay within the appropriate zone since my HR skyrockets as soon as I start running?  Would it be best to do a very uncomfortable 16 or more min/mile or do a run/walk combo?  My max HR as done by a bike test earlier this year was 187.  Do you recommend using the BT hr zone calculator to figure out my zones?  

Dee

Dee --

Program -- seeing as we are on the BT site, why don't you use one of their programs.  I've read a lot of good things about them and the pricing appears really good value.

HRM -- yes, I recommend for you.  It is a great way to connect the way it feels, with the actual stress you are placing on your body.

Running -- you should consider starting by walking.  I had to do that with myself for exactly the same reason.  http://www.gordoworld.com/gblog/uploaded_images/twogs-795633.jpg

Run Walk -- I REALLY like this technique and use it myself.  It is not just a learners technique -- it can be very effective for all athletes.  Use Phase One from the article in the link...

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/publish/2006/12/bobby-mcgee-runwalk-protocol.html

Walking -- train your walking -- with practice, I got myself down below 15 mins per mile with my walking.  A decent pace!  Some of my pals had to jog to stay with me.  I can also generate a decent aerobic heart rate, especially walking uphill.

Hills -- to stay in our zones -- ALL of us are likely to have to walk hills.  Do it and consider it useful humility training for life-in-general!  

Zones -- try my recommended zones, for now.  They are quite conservative but will give you what you need right now.  Remember, we are about getting work done, not pain management.

g

2008-12-18 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1859924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Beafly - 2008-12-17 5:10 PM

What equipment do you recommend? Keeping in mind, I've already got a good bike computer that does distance/cadence/speed/time/etc. and a watch for swimming: time/laps/etc.

I've also got the cyclists training bible, I know it does quite a bit on heart rate training. I'll read that section of the book again tonight before bed.

My schedule is a bit borked up atm I swapped some stuff around this week to be more convienent. 9 mile trainer ride tonight.

Equipment -- CHEAP!  You don't need high end on the HRM.  Just something that shows you the number.

Cyclists Bible -- a great book.  You'll find that my recommended zones are lower than Joe's, or even my own from my book.  We need to gradually build our tolerance for overall work, and build the training habit.

2008-12-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1859884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Pashda - 2008-12-17 4:22 PM

Superb thanks Gordo

have recently got a Garmin Forerunner 50 HRM and footpod so have started trying to train in zone 1-2 for longer runs which is going well. Must admit I have set my levels a touch higher than your suggested range as I am 38 and was using 160 as my upper limit for easy runs. Am doing 10k for those and am not at all out of breath so figured I was about right. I did a test to try to figure out my max using a guide I found somewhere. 5 mins flat out run then 3 mins jog then 5 mins flat out and measure HR. cant remember rest of it off hand but think max was 185.

Am so pleased to be in your group as had asked for your book from Santa

You'll probably tolerate 160 bpm as a cap but, I suspect, you'll get faster/better training adaptations using my lower limits (for now).  You'll almost certainly burn far more fat per minute using my guidelines.

Don't sweat distance/pace but useful to keep track if you enjoy the gadgets.

Edited by GordoByrn 2008-12-18 9:37 AM
2008-12-18 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1859863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Cardholic - 2008-12-17 4:09 PM YAY... thanks for taking me on...

still haven't figured out how to monitor HR during swims (except the old fashioned way - which I haven't done) So, I've been using perceived effort during swims.

I'm supposed to cycle 20 minutes today - I was going to try out my new clipless pedals after I get them installed - but it's SNOWING - I know it means nothing to most of you... but I grew up in Los Angeles, and live in Las Vegas... I don't know how to deal with snow

Swim effort -- this is EASY; you can only swim at your maximum pace that you can hold for three-stroke breathing.  ALL -- this is very important.  We need to build an even, balanced stroke as well as learn real effort sensations in the water.  With two stroke breathing, we are all working harder than we think.

Pedals -- when learning... TWIST out -- remember to twist the heel.  You will likely fall over while clipped in (more than once).  I rolled up at my first group ride and fell over in front of (what felt like) the entire Hong Kong Triathlon Club.  Pretty embarrassing but I survived!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 51