BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2008-12-19 5:43 AM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (Open)

Karen--Yes, you are in! Welcome.  You have a big goal and a lot to go to get there, but hopefully we can help with the motivation piece.  It sounds like you have the basic knowledge for the three sports, but with a 70.3 on the schedule in April it's definitely the right time to get going training right now! China for the 70.3, wow!! That's incredible and I'm sure will be some great stories. 

I would highly suggest that one of the first things you look/get is a training plan for a HIM.  They have some great ones here on BT.  Having a plan, logging your workouts, and just seeing the red/pink square in your log vs. the yellow can be motivating!! There is a lot of info to pass your way, so we'll get on that here really soon!

2008-12-19 6:53 AM

hi

i'm 38 and new to the sport. i had an injury last year that kept me out of the season. i'm feeling better and i'm hoping to do a 1/2 ironman in may. i have kept up my swim and bike and started running again. (slowly) i'm not looking to place, just looking to finish.

hopefully u can keep me going all the way to the finish. i need a rah rah person. i work and live with a bunch of downers, who thinks i'm crazy.

thanks
erin

ps i'm big into my faith in Jesus. i know i can do all things through Him who streagthns me.

Edited by erinmac 2008-12-19 6:56 AM
2008-12-19 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hi Brittany,

I'd like to join the group as well. I was in TriOk's January mentor group last year and made some great friends.   

Name:denny.l/Lesley

Story: This is my third season of "triing" but really my second committed season.  I couldn't swim 25m or run a mile when I started training for the 2007 Austin Danskin. I had been riding a Mt. Bike quite a bit but hadn't been on a road bike since college.  I'm 45, was widowed 7 years ago and am a single mom of a great 17 year old boy. I am a HS teacher of military dependents in San Antonio. (AF) This has been a grand adventure! It is hard to describe the feeling of accomplishment I felt when I finished my first Olympic distance race in October. I've made so many friends (and met a wonderful guy) through BT and triathlon. I took some time off to rest in November and the first couple of weeks of December and I feel excited to start training again. I went on a nice little 7 mile run on the treadmill the other day...Ha! who would have believed that a year ago!
Last season's races-
I did 11 races last season...mostly sprints. They are all listed on my log. My longest was the SOMA 1/4 man. I really liked that distance.

Family Status: single w/BF, 17 year old son

Current Training: This year's goal- 1/2 IM. Next race is Austin 3M 1/2 Marathon Jan 25. My "A" races are Buffalo Springs 70.3 in June and SOMA 1/2 in October.

2009 Races:
3M Half Marathon Jan
Lone Star Triathlon Festival Olympic April

Ironman Coeur d’Alene
(support crew for BF) June
Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 June
SOMA 1/2 IM Oct

I'm sure I'll do a bunch more sprints and minis as well as some 5 and 10 Ks.

Longterm goal- IM in 2011 or 2012
2010 is the summer my son graduates from HS...that summer is his

Mentoring Needs- Last year, my mentoring group was the #1 reason I had a successful season. Without those folks, I might have had the confidence and the fitness to improve my sprint time in the Danskin but never would have even imagined doing an olympic distance race or even conceptualized doing a 1/2 IM this year.....the obsession is all their fault and I love them a ton for it! I've seen Brittany on BT and I think she (you ) will be a great mentor especially as I work on longer distances. 

I was in the BT tailgate area at the Longhorn 70.0. Tri-chic, Gaary and my BF did the relay but I didn't meet you. YEA Texas BT!

Les 

2008-12-19 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (FULL)
Lesley and Erin-- Welcome, and I'm gonna say that y'all round us out! I'm short on time right now, but, now that we're complete as a group I will put some ideas and thoughts here soon!! TGIF, that's for sure!
2008-12-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1862754

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Wes--I accidentally missed saying WELCOME to you too!! My apologies, but absolutely you are in on the list and we're going to get rolling here soon!!

I'll put out a list of everyone in the group...I do ask that you make sure your logs are accessible for the group to look at--you don't have to open it up fully to all of BT, but if you could for the group (add us as friends and then limit log viewership to friends only) it'll help us motivate and check in on you!

Okay, work to get done!

2008-12-19 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (Full)

Rules of Engagement for the Mentor Group
Okay team, so, here is how I foresee us operating, and some of the things I and the group need from you in order to make us successful:

1. Involvement: it doesn't have to be everyday, or even every week, but do drop in the thread or in each other's logs as often as you get a chance.  This will help you get to know one another, learn from each other, and cheer each other on towards our goals. To make this possible, I ask that the group open up their logs to fellow group members...we just want to stop in and inspire you (or hold your feet to the fire when need be!!)  Life is busy, don't I know, but when you have a chance

2. Honesty: Let us know if you're struggling, let us know where you need you help, and ask questions!  Now, I, and the group as a collective, may not have an answer for it all--but when that happens, I will do my best to find you an answer and/or source to check out.  Two sub-points to the honesty piece:
     a. It's okay to vent: whether it's about a bad workout, frustration with a sport, a race, or life in general.  We are here to support you...let this be your outlet so you don't have to take it out on your family or co-workers, or keep it bottled up inside and eating you up.
     b. It's okay to BRAG: When you have an awesome workout, complete your first race, have an awesome race, a major improvement, pass a personal milestone, lose 1lb or lose 50lbs, then shout it out and let us know!! We want to pat you on the back and brag right along with you!!! Your friends may think you're nuts, but since we're all nuts too, you can brag to us!

3. Encourage each other: Part of the involvement, yes, but feel free to encourage each other, and feel free to sometimes offer a little tough love if someone needs it...some of the best friends I have ever had have been those that kicked me in the butt when I needed it!!  They have also been the ones who have hugged me when I've done well, and cried with me when I'm hurting.  I hope we can be similiar with each other here in the group.  Also, recognize that we are all at different levels, with different abilities, goals, and talents.  That is FINE.  Do not compare your results/times, etc. with anyone else's in the group, cause we're like snowflakes--each one is different.  The important thing is getting out there and doing IT! That is what we all have in common, the desire, and hopefully the discipline motivation to get to the start line and make it to the finish line, be it a super sprint or an Ironman (*gulp* some days I think I'm insane).

4. Have fun:  Seriously, I may list this as #5, but it really is the priority.  If you hate every minute of it (you're going to dislike some of it cause we all have BAD days) then there is no point in doing it.  You have to have some fun, or "satisfaction" with what you're doing or putting the time and effort into it will not have the same impact and result that it could if you it was something you enjoyed.

So, those are my rules! I don't think they're too burdensome.  What I owe you now is a list of everyone in the group put into one solitary post, and then we'll start working on some of the questions.  Some things it looks like we need tackle right off the start, as many have some decent Spring races (4-5 months away) planned are:

1. Do you have a training plan?  If so, are you comfortable with it? Does it make sense to you? Is it too much, is it too little?
2. Equipment. What are your questions on what you need to race? Depending upon length of race and desired goal for the race, as well as how deep your wallet and desire to purchase gear is, will determine what you actually NEED.  You do not need a tri-bike with race wheels, aero helmet, carbon bike shoes, and a $600 wetsuit to race...but there are some basic necessities and they do differ depending upon some factors.

So, take some time to answer these couple of questions and it will help us get started!

2008-12-19 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

You guys are lucky to have Brittany as your mentor.  I have had the pleasure of knowing her (both on-line and in person) and I can tell you that I have never met a more naturally talented athlete in my life.

I have been racing for 5 years now and she is an inspiration to me!

Edited by dodgersmom 2008-12-19 1:43 PM
2008-12-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1863735

User image

Expert

I am currently using the book Training Plans for Multisport Athletes . I am in the first week of the 27 weeks to a HIM plan. It is pretty aggressive for this far out, especially swimming. I tweak it to do more on the weekends when I don't have the kids. On the weeks I do (most weeks) I try to suck it up and get up at the crack of dawn to do the workouts. Anyone else work at night? I work 1500-2300 here when the crime happens and getting up early is rough....but its the only time some of the training will get done!!!

Kirk

2008-12-19 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1863481

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2008-12-19 12:51 PM

1. Do you have a training plan?  If so, are you comfortable with it? Does it make sense to you? Is it too much, is it too little?
2. Equipment. What are your questions on what you need to race? Depending upon length of race and desired goal for the race, as well as how deep your wallet and desire to purchase gear is, will determine what you actually NEED.  You do not need a tri-bike with race wheels, aero helmet, carbon bike shoes, and a $600 wetsuit to race...but there are some basic necessities and they do differ depending upon some factors.

So, take some time to answer these couple of questions and it will help us get started!

I'm using an intermediate training plan for my upcoming half marathon.  I am pretty comfortable with it.  I really want to improve my finishing time from the last one.  I ran that one just to finish.  Now, I want to shave about 15 minutes off that.  I'm looking at a 2:15 goal.  Is it practical?  I'm not sure but I'll give it all I have! 

On to my HIM....I don't have a plan for that yet.  I need to get on that.  I keep thinking I have plenty of time since it's in July but I really do need to get figure something out, soon. 

I am still working on getting my road bike.  I have a few more payments and then it's mine!  Probably looking at February time frame.  *sigh*  In the mean time, I haven't been biking at all since the weather turned cold.  I need to get back on that!  

Biking is my biggest limiter due to the fact that I don't have a road bike to train on!  It worries me a bit that I am tackling a HIM and still don't have the bike.  Yikes.  I think I'll have enough time to train after I get it in Feb....right?  Five months???  What do you all think?  

2008-12-19 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1863912

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
gator22 - 2008-12-19 2:51 PM

I am currently using the book Training Plans for Multisport Athletes . I am in the first week of the 27 weeks to a HIM plan. It is pretty aggressive for this far out, especially swimming. I tweak it to do more on the weekends when I don't have the kids. On the weeks I do (most weeks) I try to suck it up and get up at the crack of dawn to do the workouts. Anyone else work at night? I work 1500-2300 here when the crime happens and getting up early is rough....but its the only time some of the training will get done!!!

Kirk

I don't work nights...but I have a crazy workout schedule. Often I have to get up at 0415 or 0420 to get in my first workout--then I go to my unit's PT (Physical Training) which is not challenging to me at all anymore--then I typically do a workout when I get home.  I will probably start doing some swimming during lunch, as sometimes I'm just whipped when I get home.  But, I'm in the same boat of if I don't do it early, I can't get it done.  I have moved up my bedtime, but I don't have kiddos to worry about so that makes a difference.  Working those hours can definitely make it challenging, however, you do have the possibility of getting in a (to you) "early morning" bike while there is still light, cause your early morning is really the mid-afternoon.  I get stuck on the trainer a lot cause it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home!

2008-12-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1864005

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2008-12-19 3:52 PM

I'm using an intermediate training plan for my upcoming half marathon.  I am pretty comfortable with it.  I really want to improve my finishing time from the last one.  I ran that one just to finish.  Now, I want to shave about 15 minutes off that.  I'm looking at a 2:15 goal.  Is it practical?  I'm not sure but I'll give it all I have! 

On to my HIM....I don't have a plan for that yet.  I need to get on that.  I keep thinking I have plenty of time since it's in July but I really do need to get figure something out, soon. 

I am still working on getting my road bike.  I have a few more payments and then it's mine!  Probably looking at February time frame.  *sigh*  In the mean time, I haven't been biking at all since the weather turned cold.  I need to get back on that!  

Biking is my biggest limiter due to the fact that I don't have a road bike to train on!  It worries me a bit that I am tackling a HIM and still don't have the bike.  Yikes.  I think I'll have enough time to train after I get it in Feb....right?  Five months???  What do you all think?  

Erica, I do think that five months is enough time to get there...maybe not in as good a condition as you would fathom, BUT, what you will have going for you is some of the endurance piece when it comes to aerobic capacity cause you are running.  Now, to be truthful, you'll have to work hard and focus on the bike a lot when you get started, but thankfully you're not totally unfamiliar with biking--this one will just seem that much faster to you compared to the MTB.  You just have to be ready to tackle the bike workouts and make the most of every single one...some good intensity, and building up the mileage, and yes, I think you can get there.  I did my first HIM probably about 5-6 months after I started seriously biking, but I really really focused on the bike and made sure I got my long rides in.  That first HIM wasn't nearly as pretty as the second, that's for sure, but you have to start somewhere, and that first HIM was STILL a PR for me!   So, mentally prep yourself now to become a cycling monster when you get it, and then you'll be fine. 

As for the half-marathon, if you're training well, it is possible to shave a good amount of time off a previous time.   In a span of 7 months I improved my 1/2 Mary time by 18 minutes from the first 1/2 Mary to my 2nd Half-Mary...so YES, it is possible, just keep up the training and aim high...never forget the effect of adrenaline...sometimes it can make your race day that 10-15 secs per mile faster than you need to reach that goal! 

2008-12-19 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1862241

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Profwrite - 2008-12-18 6:37 PM
Does everyone plan on keeping nutrition logs? I don't want to lose a ton of weight, but I do need to eat healthier.  Some meal ideas would be helpful.  

Marie, this is a good question...I have used it in the past and it has helped me in tracking nutrition and losing weight cause I realized what I was really putting in...I do highly recommend it to any of you if you are serious about wanting to lose weight...whether you use BT or you use FitDay or CalorieKing...all of those are helpful tools. 

I may look at doing it again come the New Year or post-marathon...maybe some for weight management, but also so I can monitor what I'm taking in as I get heavy IM training as well.  Good nutrition and proper fueling for racing and training is a key aspect to success!

2008-12-19 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1863481

User image

I currently don't have a formal plan for training.  Swimming is my weak point, so I've been hitting it pretty hard lately.  I can run at least 3 miles right now, not very quickly, but I can do it.  I was biking every other day during the spring/summer/fall between 15- 30miles/day on a mountain bike, so I feel pretty comfortable for the biking leg.  I've checked out some of the programs that are on here for beginners and I feel that i can cover the beginning volume quite easily, so I may use a program for an oly to train for the sprint.  I just need to try something for a couple of weeks, see how it works and adjust it from there.  My body lets my mind know what works and what doesn't.

My goal is to finish my first tri and not be the last one while doing it. The sprint I plan on doing is a pool swim, so no need for a wetsuit.  I planned on buying tri shorts and a top and swimming in both to save time in T1.  I bought a mountain bike last spring and plan on riding it this year at least.  I hadn't planned on buying  shoes or pedals, but I do need a helmet. My bike's frame isn't designed to mount a cage for a bottle, so I'm going to use my Camelbak.  I bought my first decent pair of running shoes about a month ago.  I never realized how much of a difference having the right running shoes could make.  I'm not sure what else I will need, chip holder?, race belt? Any suggestions for a first timer?

2008-12-20 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1864120

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2008-12-19 6:11 PM
ebshot - 2008-12-19 3:52 PM

Erica, I do think that five months is enough time to get there...maybe not in as good a condition as you would fathom, BUT, what you will have going for you is some of the endurance piece when it comes to aerobic capacity cause you are running.  Now, to be truthful, you'll have to work hard and focus on the bike a lot when you get started, but thankfully you're not totally unfamiliar with biking--this one will just seem that much faster to you compared to the MTB.  You just have to be ready to tackle the bike workouts and make the most of every single one...some good intensity, and building up the mileage, and yes, I think you can get there.  I did my first HIM probably about 5-6 months after I started seriously biking, but I really really focused on the bike and made sure I got my long rides in.  That first HIM wasn't nearly as pretty as the second, that's for sure, but you have to start somewhere, and that first HIM was STILL a PR for me!   So, mentally prep yourself now to become a cycling monster when you get it, and then you'll be fine. 

As for the half-marathon, if you're training well, it is possible to shave a good amount of time off a previous time.   In a span of 7 months I improved my 1/2 Mary time by 18 minutes from the first 1/2 Mary to my 2nd Half-Mary...so YES, it is possible, just keep up the training and aim high...never forget the effect of adrenaline...sometimes it can make your race day that 10-15 secs per mile faster than you need to reach that goal! 

I was thinking the same thing. I have 3 hours a day to train so as soon as I get my bike, I'll be out.  Good thing I have a bunch of cold weather gear!  I'll probably get a trainer too for the snow (yuck) and bad rain.  My goal for the HIM is to finish.  No time goal yet.  I always try to be realistic, I know I won't send any speed records on the bike but as long as I don't blow up, I'll be happy.  

Now, I'm all ears when it comes to nutrition.  Brit, what do you usually use for your longer races?  I used GU in my half marathon and found out I needed more calories than I planed on.  I know it is all about trial and error but I'm certainly open for suggestions!  I'm thinking about trying out Infinit.  

2008-12-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1864463

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

TheSloth - 2008-12-19 10:49 PM I currently don't have a formal plan for training.  Swimming is my weak point, so I've been hitting it pretty hard lately.  I can run at least 3 miles right now, not very quickly, but I can do it.  I was biking every other day during the spring/summer/fall between 15- 30miles/day on a mountain bike, so I feel pretty comfortable for the biking leg.  I've checked out some of the programs that are on here for beginners and I feel that i can cover the beginning volume quite easily, so I may use a program for an oly to train for the sprint.  I just need to try something for a couple of weeks, see how it works and adjust it from there.  My body lets my mind know what works and what doesn't.

My goal is to finish my first tri and not be the last one while doing it. The sprint I plan on doing is a pool swim, so no need for a wetsuit.  I planned on buying tri shorts and a top and swimming in both to save time in T1.  I bought a mountain bike last spring and plan on riding it this year at least.  I hadn't planned on buying  shoes or pedals, but I do need a helmet. My bike's frame isn't designed to mount a cage for a bottle, so I'm going to use my Camelbak.  I bought my first decent pair of running shoes about a month ago.  I never realized how much of a difference having the right running shoes could make.  I'm not sure what else I will need, chip holder?, race belt? Any suggestions for a first timer?

Good shoes are a MUST!! Absolutely it can make a difference...if any of you have never gone to a running store and had them check your gait and get you shoes that fit you, then do it!! Helps prevent injury and helps with the general comfort of running. 
Tri top and shorts are great--I find I like riding in my tri-shorts better than cycling shorts anyhow.  Your bike plan sounds perfectly fine...really you have what you need.  Chip holder--not needed, the company providing the chips will have it on a strap for you (they don't want to lose it either!).  I do like the race belts--you can get a decently cheap one and it keeps you from having to fool around with safety pins. you can just hop off the bike, grab hat (if you wear one) and race belt and go...but besides that I think it sounds like you have what you need for your race.

Reference the training--wow you're putting the miles on the MTB, good for you.  And if you feel comfortable doing an Oly plan, go for it!! It will only help you with the race as your base and strength will be that much better. 

2008-12-20 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1864693

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2008-12-20 10:37 AM 

Now, I'm all ears when it comes to nutrition.  Brit, what do you usually use for your longer races?  I used GU in my half marathon and found out I needed more calories than I planed on.  I know it is all about trial and error but I'm certainly open for suggestions!  I'm thinking about trying out Infinit.  

I'm sure we'll hit nutrition a lot for the different distances throughout the year.  It is a careful balance as you want to take in what you need, but you don't want to overtake cause that can mess with the stomach.  It is trial and error, that's for sure.  For the 1/2 Marathon, I usually take a GU about 15 minutes before the start, then one at 4.5-5 miles, and then another at 8.5 miles.  I hate stopping for water stops so I carry a fuel belt with two bottles of NUUN--they are no calorie (or like 5 cals) electrolyte tablets put in water.  I take that as I want, and if I want plain water, I can grab some.  I don't take sports drink during the run, because, depending upon your size, your body can only absorb so many calories per hour. I found, through trial and error, that I was probably overdoing it at times.  No stomach issues, but no "burst" of energy either.

I have not used Infinit on the run yet...I'm thinking of trying it. I DO use it for the bike and has been very satisfied with it.  It keeps me from having to worry about "eating" anything while biking.  You can customize your blend per the distance you plan on doing, etc.  I intend to keep using it for the bike and expect it'll be my primary bike fuel for IM.  I do concentrate it, so it's necessary to chase with water.  If you search tri-talk or gear reviews, there are some great discussions on it right now.  Apparently until Christmas you can get 35% if you use the "XMAS" code!

In a nutshell--I use primarily water, GU, Infinit, NUUN, and occassionally GU2O for my training needs.

Okay ya'll, I'm headed out on vacation for Christmas, but I will be training and checking in....I just may be absent the rest of today.  Keep the questions and ideas coming!

2008-12-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1864754

User image

Expert

It sounds like we have a great mix of experience here! I am a real big dude, so nutrition on longer rides is an issue for me. I did a century last year and wound up stuffing girl scout cookies in my jersey for an emergency!! I am doing it this year and I will be more prepared for class

Off to my old unit Christmas party....I did my workout so my Jamesons won't make me feel too guilty...Have a good weekend everyone!!

2008-12-20 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1864877

User image

Elite
Connecticut
gator22 - 2008-12-20 3:21 PM

It sounds like we have a great mix of experience here! I am a real big dude, so nutrition on longer rides is an issue for me. I did a century last year and wound up stuffing girl scout cookies in my jersey for an emergency!! I am doing it this year and I will be more prepared for class

Off to my old unit Christmas party....I did my workout so my Jamesons won't make me feel too guilty...Have a good weekend everyone!!

I have to ask since my daughter is a Girl Scout and it is now cookie selling time, what is your favorite Girl Scout cookie?  I'm a fan of the Samoa's and Thin Mints.  Yum!

2008-12-20 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1864754

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2008-12-20 12:54 PM
ebshot - 2008-12-20 10:37 AM 

Okay ya'll, I'm headed out on vacation for Christmas, but I will be training and checking in....I just may be absent the rest of today.  Keep the questions and ideas coming!

Have a wonderful vacation!  Headed anywhere exotic?  I have a friend headed to Mexico.  I'm jealous!  

Bryan is on leave from now until the 27th.  Thank goodness!  It's nice to have him home for a bit before he heads back out to sea.  

ETA:  Okay, I need remedial quotes or something.  Messed them up again!!! Embarassed

Edited by ebshot 2008-12-20 6:54 PM
2008-12-20 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
1. Do you have a training plan? If so, are you comfortable with it? Does it make sense to you? Is it too much, is it too little?

I have imported one of the beginning sprint training plans from BT and will start it next week when I return home from Christmas vacation. I did bring my bike and trainer with me so will attempt to get some sort of a workout in and not eat all week.

2. Equipment. What are your questions on what you need to race? Depending upon length of race and desired goal for the race, as well as how deep your wallet and desire to purchase gear is, will determine what you actually NEED. You do not need a tri-bike with race wheels, aero helmet, carbon bike shoes, and a $600 wetsuit to race...but there are some basic necessities and they do differ depending upon some factors.

Bike: Trek 7.2fx hybrid with road tires. Originally bought this bike to commute to work. I have never been on a road bike before, but have been eyeing them quite a bit this past year after riding upright for so long and no place to move my hands. I'm not worried about riding my current bike in a sprint, but will I be able to get away with this bike in an Olympic tri?

I really just want to finish a tri before I start getting over my head in goals. Most posts I've seen from people that are attempting their first triathlon seem to note they don't want to finish last. This was my thought too, but maybe I should TRY to come in last on my first race so no one else will be disappointed :-) I was ready to participate in my first sprint last fall, but a re-scheduled volleyball game for my daughter (I was coaching) changed that plan and then a minor injury put the rest of the year out.

-Wes
2008-12-20 11:01 PM
in reply to: #1865177

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

I have to ask since my daughter is a Girl Scout and it is now cookie selling time, what is your favorite Girl Scout cookie?  I'm a fan of the Samoa's and Thin Mints.  Yum!

This will my daughter's first year to sell cookies (Brownie scout). I may have a tough time staying away from the Tagalongs!

-Wes

2008-12-21 3:06 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
I'm already signed up in another mentor group but saw a few buds in here (Erica and David) and decided to be a lurker if ya'll don't mind?!
2008-12-21 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1865180

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2008-12-20 6:54 PM  Have a wonderful vacation!  Headed anywhere exotic?  I have a friend headed to Mexico.  I'm jealous!  

Bryan is on leave from now until the 27th.  Thank goodness!  It's nice to have him home for a bit before he heads back out to sea.  

ETA:  Okay, I need remedial quotes or something.  Messed them up again!!! Embarassed

Haha, no where exotic, that's for sure...I'm in Katy (W. Houston) but the whole family is here (my sister from California with the 1st grandbaby/nephew), and both the college brothers. My folks are moving to Buffalo, NY this next year (Dad with new job) and so this will be the last Christmas here where we all call it home!
2008-12-21 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1865495

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
wkirbytri - 2008-12-20 10:56 PM 1. Do you have a training plan? If so, are you comfortable with it? Does it make sense to you? Is it too much, is it too little? I have imported one of the beginning sprint training plans from BT and will start it next week when I return home from Christmas vacation. I did bring my bike and trainer with me so will attempt to get some sort of a workout in and not eat all week. 2. Equipment. What are your questions on what you need to race? Depending upon length of race and desired goal for the race, as well as how deep your wallet and desire to purchase gear is, will determine what you actually NEED. You do not need a tri-bike with race wheels, aero helmet, carbon bike shoes, and a $600 wetsuit to race...but there are some basic necessities and they do differ depending upon some factors. Bike: Trek 7.2fx hybrid with road tires. Originally bought this bike to commute to work. I have never been on a road bike before, but have been eyeing them quite a bit this past year after riding upright for so long and no place to move my hands. I'm not worried about riding my current bike in a sprint, but will I be able to get away with this bike in an Olympic tri? I really just want to finish a tri before I start getting over my head in goals. Most posts I've seen from people that are attempting their first triathlon seem to note they don't want to finish last. This was my thought too, but maybe I should TRY to come in last on my first race so no one else will be disappointed :-) I was ready to participate in my first sprint last fall, but a re-scheduled volleyball game for my daughter (I was coaching) changed that plan and then a minor injury put the rest of the year out. -Wes

Wes- I like the BT Plans, I used them this past year for my races (with some personal modificiations) and I think it's a great way to start off into this.  As for the bike piece, for your Sprint, absolutely the hybrid will be fine....in Sprints people ride EVERYTHING.  I'm not way familiar with hybrid bikes at all (in fact, I'm really only familiar with my tri-bike---when I bought my bike I knew I was going to do tri's and lots of them so I just went straight for the tri-bike, end of year sale and military discount helped too!) .  Now, for an Olympic, a lot of that will probably depend upon you, how comfortable you are riding it for that distance, etc.  I can tell you that someone completed Ironman Arizona this year on a BMX bike...yes, I'm 100% telling the truth, a BMX bike.  He didn't wear a wetsuit (water was 62 or so), rode a BMX bike, and he wore the same baggy shorts from the BMX bike on the run.  He did finish.  So, it really is up to you!  I wouldn't recommend the BMX bike option (I think he was doing it for a cause)--but goes to show that you can do tri's with whatever you have as far as basic equipment, you just have to be trained with it!
One of the great things about your first tri season (as I found out this year) everytime I did a distance for the "first time" it was personal record (PR)!! So, that was fun...and some people ask how many tri's until I'm a triathlete--in my opinion, if you complete that first triathlon and keep training in the sport to do more, that's all it takes!!
2008-12-21 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1864877

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
gator22 - 2008-12-20 2:21 PM

Hope you had a great Christmas party!! I'm trying to get the gumption up to run today--it went from 80 to 30's in one fell swoop and I'm with family.  But, I will run!!

Girl Scout cookies--that is not the first time I've actually heard of folks doing that!  I am interested to see what the LONG bike rides are like. 76 miles is the longest I did in training this past year, but I definitely will need several centuries under my belt before Ironman.  I'm hoping the Infinit and Cliff Bars do it for me! We will see!! I need a new saddle first, in fact, I'm shopping for one the week after Christmas cause I'll finally have time to get down to the Austin tri-shop to get it....the one I have now will not work for me for 100+ mile rides, and that's what this next year has in store!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20