BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jungle Jenn's Jovial Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-01-01 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1859975

Bayside, NY
Subject: RE: Jungle Jenn's Jovial Mentor Group - CLOSED

i completley agree with D, you may wanna practice and start with something low cost and get a feel for it. There is no harm in going to your local bike store and asking some questions and see what they suggest. you can always research bikes they tell you about online. You may also find the bike online a lot less money and you may just be able to pay anywhere from $15 to $75 to get fitted. Just make sure to tell the person fitting you you will be doing a tri and not just a road race.

I was lucky i bought my mountain bike used from a friend and love it, and recently got a rode bike for a present. I have spiced it up by buying different parts for it to make it lighter and more efficient on ebay for half the price of my local bike store!

I am planning on volunteering at atleast two tris before I do one and try to talk to alot of people. You never know what to expect when I competed in my first swim meet I was really nervous but there were people from everybackground and no one was there to put you down. Only encouragement!!

2009-01-02 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1881914

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

If you want to go online, check out www.bikesdirect.com.  Many people here on BT have bought from there.  I came this close back in July, but circumstances changed quickly and I had to put-off bike buying entirely.  You'll want to take it to an LBS and get it fitted, though.  My LBS doesn't charge for a fitting if you buy your bike from them.  If you bring in your own bike, they charge $60.  That's very reasonable, though.

Just last week, I finally got around to buying a bike after a year of doing this.  It's on layaway, so I won't pick her up until the spring when I pay her off, but I'm still plenty excited about it.

Whatever happens, don't feel pressured to get something you're not comfortable with, either in price or in fit.

That's great you're doing some volunteering first, Nicole.  You'll get a really, really great feel for what to expect.

2009-01-02 7:00 PM

User image

Fontana

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I have decided to place an ad on Craigslist for now and see if God will bless me with a free bike! Thanks for posting your pic, Lora..it helps to know that a bike is a bike when you just want to concentrate on finishing the race and not winning it your first time! lol

With the 5k plan, i won't actually be needing to cycle for a good couple of weeks so i'm hoping i'd either have found one for free that needs minimal fixing-up or had the time to save to buy one by early march.

I hit the scales for the first time in a year and discovered i'm actually 247 lbs, size 20/22 @ 5' 8!! Heavier than i thought, so I have my work cut out for me but i'm not discouraged.

I finished my first mile of the new year yesterday - took me 12 minutes of walk/run  - it's a start Embarassed. Great thing is that i'm not too sore and can't wait to get out there tomorrow. So far, so good.

2009-01-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1883333

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
annamariehope - 2009-01-02 8:00 PM

Thanks for posting your pic, Lora..it helps to know that a bike is a bike when you just want to concentrate on finishing the race and not winning it your first time! lol

Embarrassing myself to make others feel better is one of the many services I offer. 

Glad to hear you're not discouraged about how the scales were reading today.  Big, big, BIG congrats on getting in that first mile.  I know how huge that is and how great you must feel:  it shows!

2009-01-04 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Jenn's coming back today, right?
2009-01-04 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran

I would think she is coming back soon, unless the magic kingdom is going to keep her...and for when she is back, here is how my training schedule is coming together....I picked the 1/2 ironman October 18th to by my A race and an olympic on July 5 to be my B race (or another A).  

So I am thinking to do a 16 week program from July up to the race for the 1/2 ironman.  And either a 16 or 20 week program leading up to the July race.  That will give me 4-8 weeks or so starting now to get back in the flow and build the base and target a March sprint.  Does this sound like enough time for the adjustment to the 1/2?

I plan on mixing in some C races to have fun.  Sprint races in March, and early June for sure (plus one or two in April/May), and 1 more Olympic in August/September.

oops, and yes, my training log is up to date....Holidays are over.....better get back out there.

Edited by Big_D 2009-01-04 5:52 PM

2009-01-05 6:08 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
It's Monday morning and I am back!  We got delayed yesterday evening and didnt make it home until 1:30am and they lost all our luggage!  My running shoes were in my luggage and I thought about using that as an excuse not to run this morning but I realized I have a marathon in 5 weeks and a 60 k in about 9 so I better just use a different pair of shoes    I am off to teach class this morning then get my run done....once I get to work I will be back here and read whats been happening.  Thanks for you patience....weather was great and we had a terrific time.
2009-01-05 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1886251

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Jungle Jenn - 2009-01-05 7:08 AM It's Monday morning and I am back!  We got delayed yesterday evening and didnt make it home until 1:30am and they lost all our luggage!  My running shoes were in my luggage and I thought about using that as an excuse not to run this morning but I realized I have a marathon in 5 weeks and a 60 k in about 9 so I better just use a different pair of shoes    I am off to teach class this morning then get my run done....once I get to work I will be back here and read whats been happening.  Thanks for you patience....weather was great and we had a terrific time.

That completely sucks about your luggage!  I will honestly never get how that can get screwed up.  Really glad you had a great time and welcome back.
2009-01-05 11:58 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

Managed to teach my 20/20/20 class then ran/walked for 45 min.  Boy I could tell I have been on strike for awhile but now its time to get serious.  Heres what I see with our group....some total beginners and some with a couple years behind them. 

Derek- great goal setting and ending the season with a Half Ironman is terrific!

Lora- this is your second season and you're looking at about 6 sprints and possibly Oly....There are a couple great Olys here in Ohio and I know you could do one this season

leighsah- I enjoyed your weather there in Orlando last week but now Im back to cold again.  Do you have any races you are wanting to train for this season

Anna Marie-you've done great with your weight loss and it sounds like you have a great fitness base to get started in your training.  I have found in the past with me it is best to just go for it....find you a race sign up for it and just get rolling.  I have less excuses once I make a commitment. 

Nicole- welcome to your first triathlon season

For everyone....if you havent picked out what events you would like to do in 2009 now is the time to take a look at that and set up some goals.  Get yourself registered and we'll get training.  Be sure to log in your training log what you are doing each day so I can take a peak and see your level of training.  Dont get discouraged if you miss a workout.  Lets have some fun

2009-01-05 8:14 PM

Bayside, NY

Sorry Jen about your luggage situation....at least it happend on the way home and not the other way around! I am not sure about the tri I want to shoot for. I am looking for a sprint in April and another towards August. I have plans to compete in two swim meets so far this year. Jan 25. I will race in 50 free and 50 breast stroke and try to beat my times from Nov. 08 The second in Miami  March 6-8.

My biggest fear of the tri is the open water swim!! So I don't know if I will freeze up in the open water and have a panic attack.

Today was my first day back in the pool in 2 week, and my first day working out early am so it was a pretty hard day. After working a 10 hr day I was glad I did have my workouts already. I continue to have a hard time running out doors, my attentions span is too short!

2009-01-05 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I thought I might cap off the season with an Oly, but the last one of the year is the Toyota.  I raced that Sprint last year and want to race it again this season to compare.  Though, of course, there is nothing set in stone that the Oly has to be my LAST race.

I'm biking 24 miles now (not recently due to weather) and am up to running 5 now, so I could easily do the Oly distance.  I'd just have to focus on getting my swim up from .5 mile to 1 mile.

Hmm.  Got me thinking!  I can't wait to race!

2009-01-06 6:16 AM
in reply to: #1888214

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

Nicole

Do you have anywhere to practice an open water swim this spring or summer?  It is so common for people to panic in their first couple open water swims.  For me I did my first with my best friend and we both paniced......we made it thru by breast stroke, side stroke, back stroke and even some doggie paddle in there.  I remember I couldnt even have my goggles on my face.  After a couple of these we drove to a lake and just talked to each other before hand and stayed calm and jumped on in and we were fine after that. I think some of it comes on because of the excitment of being a first race and not really knowing what to expect.
Good luck with your swim meet in a couple weeks

Edited by Jungle Jenn 2009-01-06 6:20 AM
2009-01-06 6:20 AM
in reply to: #1888534

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

Lora

Toyota is a great race.  I did the Oly there one year and the Half.  I like everything HFP does. 
Im so anxious for spring to get here so we can get outside on the bike.  I really have a hard time on the trainer and I also dread the treadmill.  When Im on the dreadmill I always try to talk myself into getting off so I can do something else that needs done but if Im outside I run far enough away from home so that I have to get myself back

Edited by Jungle Jenn 2009-01-06 6:21 AM
2009-01-06 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey Jenn

I am thinking about getting a trainer this week.  Any suggestions?  I was just thinking of an entry level fluid.  Also, do you change your tire out when using it?

2009-01-06 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1888773

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Big_D - 2009-01-06 8:41 AM

Hey Jenn

I am thinking about getting a trainer this week.  Any suggestions?  I was just thinking of an entry level fluid.  Also, do you change your tire out when using it?

I have a cycle ops and really like it for a drainer trainer.  I know alot of folks that do change out the tire but I dont mostly because I dont use the drainer trainer that often.  I always make sure I loosen it up before I get off. If you plan on putting in alot of time on it then I would suggest having a spare.  Typically the spare can stay on during the winter and then spring hits and you wont need it except for stormy days.

2009-01-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1888687

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Jungle Jenn - 2009-01-06 7:20 AM

Lora

Toyota is a great race.  I did the Oly there one year and the Half.  I like everything HFP does. 
Im so anxious for spring to get here so we can get outside on the bike.  I really have a hard time on the trainer and I also dread the treadmill.  When Im on the dreadmill I always try to talk myself into getting off so I can do something else that needs done but if Im outside I run far enough away from home so that I have to get myself back

What you said about the dreadmill and running outside is so dead-on for me!  I really couldn't have said it better myself.  That is completely, exactly how I feel!  That's why my running has suffered since the cold weather's nestled in.

I think 5 of my tris are HFP next year.  This is silly, but I'm really looking forward to their T-shirts.  I've never worn a T-shirt where I could barely feel it on me.  They're so comfortable!

2009-01-06 11:55 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

NAME:  Tupuppy / Ty

STORY: First race was a SuperSprint in 2002.  Did it again in 2003.  Nothing in 2004.  Two sprints and the swim of a relay in 2005, 2 sprints in 2006, 1 Half IM in 2007, nothing in 2008. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with a 4 year old son and 18 month old daughter and looking to move closer to my wife's office...hopefully by the summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  There is no 'current training status.'  Started getting sick before Christmas, stopped training and got on antibiotics so it wouldn't get worse.  Did get P90X for Christmas and plan on starting that on Monday, January 12th.  That will take up my training time and energy so no tri-specific training for me for a while.

2009 RACES:  Have no races planned for this year....at the moment.  At most it will be sprints since I won't be able to get much pool time.

2009 GOALS:  Reduce weight from 225lbs (approximate current weight) to 200 to 210lbs (at minumum).  Record a sub-30 minute 5k in an organized race.  If I enter a 10k the goal will be sub-60 minutes.

2009-01-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1889506

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
tupuppy - 2009-01-06 12:55 PM

NAME:  Tupuppy / Ty

STORY: First race was a SuperSprint in 2002.  Did it again in 2003.  Nothing in 2004.  Two sprints and the swim of a relay in 2005, 2 sprints in 2006, 1 Half IM in 2007, nothing in 2008. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with a 4 year old son and 18 month old daughter and looking to move closer to my wife's office...hopefully by the summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  There is no 'current training status.'  Started getting sick before Christmas, stopped training and got on antibiotics so it wouldn't get worse.  Did get P90X for Christmas and plan on starting that on Monday, January 12th.  That will take up my training time and energy so no tri-specific training for me for a while.

2009 RACES:  Have no races planned for this year....at the moment.  At most it will be sprints since I won't be able to get much pool time.

2009 GOALS:  Reduce weight from 225lbs (approximate current weight) to 200 to 210lbs (at minumum).  Record a sub-30 minute 5k in an organized race.  If I enter a 10k the goal will be sub-60 minutes.

Hey Ty

Let me know what you think about the P90X.  I "borrowed" them off line and have looked at a few on the pc but havent had time to try to figure out why they wont burn to disc.  Looks like a great workout and wow the results are unbelievable! 

2009-01-06 9:39 PM

Bayside, NY

I signed up for a sprint on June 21! So now I have something set in stone! Do you think any of the programs here would be good for me to use? Has anyone preferred one??

I have to tell you whats funny about me and open water..I am a surfer! With that being said I have the board as my safety net and I barely sit and wait I lay and wait. I don't like my feet dangling in the water..I know I have some issues. My parentst live directly on the beach in Long Island, as soon as it starts to warm up I will be out there practicing. I plan on wearing a wet suit, but do you think booties are out of the question??

I was looking at the cycle ops, but I read both positive and neg feedback and for some reason the neg were out weighing the positive.

2009-01-06 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1889638

Bayside, NY
I love the P90x workout..I think it gives a great variety and every aspect of training. strength, endurance, flexibility, power, etc.
2009-01-07 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1891153

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
woj143 - 2009-01-06 10:39 PM

I signed up for a sprint on June 21! So now I have something set in stone! Do you think any of the programs here would be good for me to use? Has anyone preferred one??

I have to tell you whats funny about me and open water..I am a surfer! With that being said I have the board as my safety net and I barely sit and wait I lay and wait. I don't like my feet dangling in the water..I know I have some issues. My parentst live directly on the beach in Long Island, as soon as it starts to warm up I will be out there practicing. I plan on wearing a wet suit, but do you think booties are out of the question??

I was looking at the cycle ops, but I read both positive and neg feedback and for some reason the neg were out weighing the positive.

Get you a compu trainer   I thought about that once but really asked myself if the money spent and the time that I truley spend on it would warrant the purchase.  I wish I could make myself stay on them but Im so hyper of a person my mind wont shut off on the trainer or treadmill at that.....I need the outside nature to help me keep on track.
In June you shouldnt have too many problems being able to wear a wetsuit...as summer comes on and the temps of the water warms up they will not allow you too due to overheating.  hehehe about the booties.....If you wear all that you will have more time in Transition getting everything off then you actual swim time

2009-01-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1891153

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
woj143 - 2009-01-06 10:39 PM

Congrats on signing up for the race.  You'll be amazed by how much motivation you'll suddenly have.  I haven't used any of the plans, but lots of people I know have and they've really been beneficial.

2009-01-07 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

OK, Jenn.  I think I'm going for an Olympic.  (I can't believe I'm declaring it!)  It's the Great Buckeye Challenge on 8/23.  I picked it because it's later in the season and it's a mini-Olympic so the swim distance will be close to the Sprint.  The swim's my greatest struggle, so that'll be nice.

2009-01-07 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1893097

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
lkagop - 2009-01-07 4:50 PM

OK, Jenn.  I think I'm going for an Olympic.  (I can't believe I'm declaring it!)  It's the Great Buckeye Challenge on 8/23.  I picked it because it's later in the season and it's a mini-Olympic so the swim distance will be close to the Sprint.  The swim's my greatest struggle, so that'll be nice.

Good for you! The Great Buckeye Challenge is a terrific race.  Last year I did the Half there and it was super hot.....being at the end of August like that be sure to train hard in the heat so that your body can adapt the best it can.  If you havent been there before there is a great beach and the water is nice.  The run up to transition is kinda steep and they didnt stop you swim time till you got all the way to the top! 
For some reason I see you doing the Oly on 8/23 and lovin it so much that you go ahead and do the Toyota as a Oly as well

2009-01-07 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1893151

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Jungle Jenn - 2009-01-07 5:08 PM
lkagop - 2009-01-07 4:50 PM

Good for you! The Great Buckeye Challenge is a terrific race.  Last year I did the Half there and it was super hot.....being at the end of August like that be sure to train hard in the heat so that your body can adapt the best it can.  If you havent been there before there is a great beach and the water is nice.  The run up to transition is kinda steep and they didnt stop you swim time till you got all the way to the top! 
For some reason I see you doing the Oly on 8/23 and lovin it so much that you go ahead and do the Toyota as a Oly as well

Hmm.  That is weird that that's still considered swim time.  That's good to know that it's a great course.  I'll have to check it out this summer.  Maybe make a training day out of it one weekend.  We'll just have to see about the Toyota.  I really want to compare it to my Sprint course from last year, though if I can pull out my percentagey-math skills, I could find a way to still do that.  Have I said that I can't wait until racing season starts?

Thanks for the encouragement...!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jungle Jenn's Jovial Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6