BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-04-19 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2082292

User image

Regular
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Open!
Hey, I'd like to join!

NAME: NIMHendrix

STORY: I have played various sports all my life, and have belonged to bike groups and swim teams. A few years ago, I started running (though technically I think my first race was the Peachtree Road Race 10k in 2001), but I have struggled with it a lot. I want to move on to triathlon because I think it will be more exciting than footraces and put my cross-training and background to good use.

FAMILY STATUS: 32, married, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm recovering from various injuries, and so my training has been a little one-sided. I run 3-4 hours/week, play racquetball competitively 2-6 hours, need to start swimming and biking regularly, and do group fitness classes (mainly yoga and zumba) and ride horses.

RACES SO FAR: 3 5ks so far in 2009. My goal is to do one race every month, or swap to a tri as soon as I feel comfortable and/or the race looks like a good one.

2009 RACES: My plan is to break :30 in a 5k and compete non-embarrassingly in a sprint-distance tri. Oh, and I plan to do two 10Ks, too.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I'm currently about 30 pounds above a healthy weight, so weight loss is a big priority. However, along those lines, I'm suffering from what I think is mainly a lack of consistency and conviction -- and I hope with my training to rework the way I think about fitness and make it more a part of my life.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT: I'll try anything and take any advice! Also, I'm tough -- I may not complete in the best time, but I will go the distance.

2009-04-20 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2096290

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Nimhendrix - 2009-04-19 11:30 PM Hey, I'd like to join! NAME: NIMHendrix STORY: I have played various sports all my life, and have belonged to bike groups and swim teams. A few years ago, I started running (though technically I think my first race was the Peachtree Road Race 10k in 2001), but I have struggled with it a lot. I want to move on to triathlon because I think it will be more exciting than footraces and put my cross-training and background to good use. FAMILY STATUS: 32, married, no kids. CURRENT TRAINING: I'm recovering from various injuries, and so my training has been a little one-sided. I run 3-4 hours/week, play racquetball competitively 2-6 hours, need to start swimming and biking regularly, and do group fitness classes (mainly yoga and zumba) and ride horses. RACES SO FAR: 3 5ks so far in 2009. My goal is to do one race every month, or swap to a tri as soon as I feel comfortable and/or the race looks like a good one. 2009 RACES: My plan is to break :30 in a 5k and compete non-embarrassingly in a sprint-distance tri. Oh, and I plan to do two 10Ks, too. WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I'm currently about 30 pounds above a healthy weight, so weight loss is a big priority. However, along those lines, I'm suffering from what I think is mainly a lack of consistency and conviction -- and I hope with my training to rework the way I think about fitness and make it more a part of my life. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT: I'll try anything and take any advice! Also, I'm tough -- I may not complete in the best time, but I will go the distance.

Hi Nicki!  Welcome to the group!  It sounds like you have a decent background in the 3 sports.  And you're right, footraces are fun, but tris are even more fun.  I hope I can help you achieve some of that consistency you're looking for
2009-04-20 9:20 AM

User image

New user

Name: fire eagle/ darren

Story: I'm 44 yrs old, about 2 years ago I went to the doc and he said I was overweight & had high blood pressure.  So, I had to get serious.  Ordered P90X and have been doing that off & on until about 4 months ago, I have been doing it pretty seriously since then.  That's when my wife challenged me to do a 1/2 tri.  She runs in 5Ks& 10ks.  I've added biking & swim for the past 5 wks.  My goal is to do a 1/2 tri in Sept.

Family Status: married with a little 8 yr old princess

Training: I still do some of the P90X but have started also doing the 20wk 1/2 tri training

Races so far: Nada, I have never done one.  So, I have jumped in and am going to do a sprint tri this Sat. Xterra(100m swim, 16 m bike,4m run) over the hills & thru the woods...

Weight loss goals:  I have lost about 15, currently 185, 5'9".  I want to lose about 15-20 more. 

What will make me a good student: I want this to be a lifestyle and tris sound like it would make it fun.   I don't know really anything and am willing to learn from others.  Like this Sat.?   Anyway, I will probably ask a lot.  Thanks

2009-04-20 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2096773

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fire eagle - 2009-04-20 9:20 AM

Name: fire eagle/ darren

Story: I'm 44 yrs old, about 2 years ago I went to the doc and he said I was overweight & had high blood pressure.  So, I had to get serious.  Ordered P90X and have been doing that off & on until about 4 months ago, I have been doing it pretty seriously since then.  That's when my wife challenged me to do a 1/2 tri.  She runs in 5Ks& 10ks.  I've added biking & swim for the past 5 wks.  My goal is to do a 1/2 tri in Sept.

Family Status: married with a little 8 yr old princess

Training: I still do some of the P90X but have started also doing the 20wk 1/2 tri training

Races so far: Nada, I have never done one.  So, I have jumped in and am going to do a sprint tri this Sat. Xterra(100m swim, 16 m bike,4m run) over the hills & thru the woods...

Weight loss goals:  I have lost about 15, currently 185, 5'9".  I want to lose about 15-20 more. 

What will make me a good student: I want this to be a lifestyle and tris sound like it would make it fun.   I don't know really anything and am willing to learn from others.  Like this Sat.?   Anyway, I will probably ask a lot.  Thanks

Welcome to the group, Darren!  Sounds like you have a pretty solid start on training.  An xterra event should be fun.  I kind of want to do one too just to see what its like.  The P90X stuff is great.  My dad has used it to drop about 40 pounds and I'll jump in and do a workout now and again when I'm home.  Much different than tri training, but good variety.

Let me know what you have for questions about your first race.  How you done any research as to what you need for transition?
2009-04-20 12:40 PM

User image

New user

Hi my name is Leila. I'm hoping to join your group. I need all the help I can get Laughing

NAME: disturbed275 / Neal

STORY: I have never been extremely active or stuck with any specific training program but I have a few friends who have been running and competing...they are a great inspiration. My goal is to race for my 40th birthday in October so I have plenty of time to prepare. I start today with a training plan from this site which is very reasonable for beginners. I really want to stick with this and be a rock star by the time I'm 40!

FAMILY STATUS: 39, Mother of 4 boys, ages 22, 21, 19, and 8.5 months

CURRENT TRAINING: I am using a program downloaded from this site which is intended for beginners with zero experience. It lasts 22 weeks. I am also working on strength training 2-3 days per week.

RACES SO FAR: none unless you count racing to work, racing home, racing to keep up with my son....

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Although I am only 135 lbs now that is the most I have every weighed and it doesn't look or feel good on me at all. I've had a hard time getting motivated since bringing home my son (and I can't even blame it on pregnancy...he's adopted LOL). I'd like to get down to 110 with a lot of lean muscle. May be dreaming but I am ready to work hard at it.

2009-04-20 1:47 PM

I'd like to join the group, if possible. 

Name:  cmgonzalez/Cristina

Story:  My older sister is turning 40 this summer.  She decided to train for her first triathlon in honor of the occasion.  So I decided to tag along and join her in the training!  Since then, I've enlisted a couple other girlfriends to do our first sprint tri on JUNE 6, 2009 in New Mexico. 

Family Status:  married with two children, age 3 yo and 7 mo. baby.  I am a full-time mom with baby, and I run a small business out of the house. Making training time is tough, but I do have the support of my (cyclist) husband.

Current Training:  I started the BT 16 week program back in February w/ a five month old baby and still 15 pounds of pregnancy weight.  The program is 2 runs, 2 swims, 2 bikes every week, one short and one long of each discipline.  I have MOSTLY stuck to it.  The first five-six weeks I was totally on it and was feeling great.  Especially after months of not exercising. Then my kids got sick and training stopped for a couple weeks.  At Easter, I started up again.

I have seven weeks until the event, so I really need to keep at it now! 

My swimming is strong:  even, solid, balanced stroke (high school swim team, but that was twenty+ years ago!!).  On my short swims, I try to do some sprint work.  Because I don't have childcare for the baby, it's hardest to find swim time BUT it's probably my strongest of the three disciplines.  5.30am is a possibility, but I'm usually pretty fatigued from the baby's night waking. I'm lucky if I get one swim per week right now.

My cycling is improving:  I did 30 miles Easter weekend, 20 miles this last weekend, with some short spin sessions in between.  It's a little easier for me to get in at least one long bike ride every week because my husband rides, so he is supportive of me riding (ie:  he agrees to watch the kids while I ride!) And I have a GREAT new bike which makes me want to ride more.

I don't know how to pace myself and this is what worries me the most about the triathlon-- how do you keep your legs from wearing out on the bike so that you can still pull off the run?

My running is slow and steady:  Not sure what to say here.  I don't know anything about technique.  I enjoy running but I'm definitely nervous about this part of the race. I can do 3 miles right now, but I'm breathing pretty hard by the end.  I'd like to improve this-- mainly by logging more time and distance.  This I CAN do with the baby in the jogger-stroller.  The excess weight I carry does not help my running!

Fitness/Weight Loss Goals:  Well, I'm37 y.o. and with a still-nursing baby.  I gained about 40 pounds during pregnancy, and have lost 35 of those.  But to get to my ideal weight, I have another fifteen to go.  I really feel it when I run, carrying those extra fifteen pounds.  I do try to get in at least one weight-lifting workout every week, too.

Past Races:  NONE!  

Upcoming:  First sprint triathlon on June 6, 2009 in New Mexico.  1/2K swim, 20K bike, 5K run.  My main goal is to finish with a smile on my face!  

My questions:  transitions?? yikes, I'm nervous about this!  clothing??  (I'm a nursing mom, I need a lot of breast support for the run.  Should I change into my sports bra?  Should I swim in my sports bra, thereby skipping having to change.  And if so, won't it chafe when wet? )  Would really appreciate some links/advice to women-specific forum for this kind of information.

Thank you, Cristina

2009-04-20 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

Neal - if you've room for one more - count me in.

NAME: sundevil87 / Thom

STORY: This is my second season of participating in triathlons.  I've been a runner most of my adult life and swam in high school.  Bike is the new sport for me.  I am an Army Officer stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany - but returning to the States this June (Carlisle, PA).  I got the tri bug late in 2007.  I'm taking the ease into the sport approach (both to learn it well and to not get injured), with my goal of completing an IM being next year - this year I'm going to complete the Quakertown HIM.  Last year I focused on the sprint and oly distances.  My schedule last summer got screwed up (not unusual in my profession) and I ended up having to cancel out of the oly I had planned but I did have the training base to complete.  I'm determined not to let that happen this year.  Since I am heading to an Army school for the next year I shouldn't have any problems.  I love this sport. 

FAMILY STATUS: 44 (on Friday), married with a ton-o-kids (5) (i.e. tons of training time challenges )

CURRENT TRAINING: I use a combination of a training plan from BT and the Coach Wizard on Training Peaks - both based on Joe Friel's concepts and Mike Ricci (D3) training plans.  I try to work out 6 days a week - from 6 to 10 hours per /week.  I've not succeeded in getting in all my workouts in yet this year - but I will.  Swimming seems to be the hardest.  My training base is solid - I can run 2 hrs/plus, bike 3 plus and swim 2500 meters straight.  I strength train twice per/week and throw in yoga when I can.

2009 Races: First race in on May 3 in Gelnhausen, Germany - it is a sprint.  I have another scheduled in June - but that may have to slip as that is when I'll be deep into getting ready to move back to the States.  I have an OLY scheduled in July in Quakertown and then the HIM in September.

RACES SO FAR: Berlin marathon 1999; Butzbacher Sprint triathlon 2008

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Despite the training - I need to lose about 15 - 20 pounds.  I weigh in at 198 and want to weigh 180.  Damn German Beer!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I love the sport.  I'm pretty good about posting my training (I use Training Peaks, but I will begin to add it here).  I'm pretty motivated.  I have some experience - so I think I can share what I've learned so far.

I'm glad there is this April round of mentor groups.  I was in a group last year (with Cav in England - hi again Cav) and I enjoyed it.

Thom

Edited by sundevil87 2009-04-20 3:12 PM
2009-04-20 3:37 PM

New user

Room for one more?

Name: Ryan

Story: I have never really been what I would call athletic. I like physical activities once I get started, but have had trouble remaining consistent. As far as Triathlons sports go, I have biked recreationaly for about 10 years, although not so much the last 2 years. I do have a gym membership that I have not used since new year. Prior to a winter vacation, I went to the gym 5 days a week for about 3 months and lost 20 pounds. I felt great! I have since regained this weight. I work and go to school, but easily have 7 hours a week to train.

Family Status: 30, married, 2 young boys

Current training: I as said above, I really don't have one. I was thinking of starting the 13 week couch potato to sprint? I am a terrible runner, the will be my biggest obstacle I think.

Races so far: None as of now.

2009 Races: I would love to be ready for a sprint this fall? Maybe some bike rides and 5K runs this summer?

Weight Loss Goals: I am 6 feet tall and 215lbs. I would like to get back to 180lbs.

What will make me a good student: I really feel sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I need a change! I feel like I have the ability to do this, just need guidance ( and somone to keep me on track from time to time.) I have no real guidlines for what to do, so I am very teachable and open to suggestions.

Thanks Neal for the opportunity!

2009-04-20 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2097714

User image

Veteran
Among Canadian Lakes and Trees
Hey Christina, we are in similar kid territory!  I'm still nursing as well, and I've heard that finding a great top with a built in bra works well - apparently it takes too much time to add tight stuff after a swim.  makes sense. experiment with it in your swim work-outs.  I've heard lululemon has a good option, as does Land's End (and they're cheaper).  I've read that this is an very supportive top (Aqua Terra line).  This is the one i want to try:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraDotSquareNeckXbackSwimTop~191505_593.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PHK&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000001962&origin=index

My questions:  transitions?? yikes, I'm nervous about this!  clothing??  (I'm a nursing mom, I need a lot of breast support for the run.  Should I change into my sports bra?  Should I swim in my sports bra, thereby skipping having to change.  And if so, won't it chafe when wet? )  Would really appreciate some links/advice to women-specific forum for this kind of information.

Thank you, Cristina

2009-04-20 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2097905

User image

Veteran
sundevil87 - 2009-04-20 4:11 PM

FAMILY STATUS: 44 (on Friday), married with a ton-o-kids (5) (i.e. tons of training time challenges )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
2009-04-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2095563

User image

Veteran
I'm about to head out to a group swim/bike/run - and it's raining which means we'll be on the track.  I'm tired and haven't been feeling well but hopefully it's a good night!

On another note (and a q in here)...  I've been struggling with eating control this week - I wish I could say that my weight gain was baby weight but it wasn't.  I've lost all but 5lbs of baby weight and if you read my intro you'll know how much more i need to lose.  a lot. I find when I'm tired i eat more. Tonight after workout - I'll try to just have a glass of O.J. Is that enough to replace my glycogen stores (term I just heard)? Is it necessary to eat more for recovery?

2009-04-20 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
Well, it looks like we have a pretty good group of people here.  I am going to close the group now.

I'll be back later to welcome the new folks later!  Gotta go for a run!
2009-04-20 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2097490

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
leilamckinney - 2009-04-20 12:40 PM

Hi my name is Leila. I'm hoping to join your group. I need all the help I can get Laughing

NAME: disturbed275 / Neal

STORY: I have never been extremely active or stuck with any specific training program but I have a few friends who have been running and competing...they are a great inspiration. My goal is to race for my 40th birthday in October so I have plenty of time to prepare. I start today with a training plan from this site which is very reasonable for beginners. I really want to stick with this and be a rock star by the time I'm 40!

FAMILY STATUS: 39, Mother of 4 boys, ages 22, 21, 19, and 8.5 months

CURRENT TRAINING: I am using a program downloaded from this site which is intended for beginners with zero experience. It lasts 22 weeks. I am also working on strength training 2-3 days per week.

RACES SO FAR: none unless you count racing to work, racing home, racing to keep up with my son....

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Although I am only 135 lbs now that is the most I have every weighed and it doesn't look or feel good on me at all. I've had a hard time getting motivated since bringing home my son (and I can't even blame it on pregnancy...he's adopted LOL). I'd like to get down to 110 with a lot of lean muscle. May be dreaming but I am ready to work hard at it.

Hi Leila welcome to the group and BT.  Nothing like a milestone birthday to motivate you   The beginner programs on this site are very reasonable, especially for those with time constraints.  Do you have a race in mind for October?
2009-04-20 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2097714

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
cmgonzalez - 2009-04-20 1:47 PM I'd like to join the group, if possible.

Name: cmgonzalez/Cristina

Story: My older sister is turning 40 this summer. She decided to train for her first triathlon in honor of the occasion. So I decided to tag along and join her in the training! Since then, I've enlisted a couple other girlfriends to do our first sprint tri on JUNE 6, 2009 in New Mexico.

Family Status: married with two children, age 3 yo and 7 mo. baby. I am a full-time mom with baby, and I run a small business out of the house. Making training time is tough, but I do have the support of my (cyclist) husband.

Current Training: I started the BT 16 week program back in February w/ a five month old baby and still 15 pounds of pregnancy weight. The program is 2 runs, 2 swims, 2 bikes every week, one short and one long of each discipline. I have MOSTLY stuck to it. The first five-six weeks I was totally on it and was feeling great. Especially after months of not exercising. Then my kids got sick and training stopped for a couple weeks. At Easter, I started up again.

I have seven weeks until the event, so I really need to keep at it now!

My swimming is strong: even, solid, balanced stroke (high school swim team, but that was twenty+ years ago!!). On my short swims, I try to do some sprint work. Because I don't have childcare for the baby, it's hardest to find swim time BUT it's probably my strongest of the three disciplines. 5.30am is a possibility, but I'm usually pretty fatigued from the baby's night waking. I'm lucky if I get one swim per week right now.

My cycling is improving: I did 30 miles Easter weekend, 20 miles this last weekend, with some short spin sessions in between. It's a little easier for me to get in at least one long bike ride every week because my husband rides, so he is supportive of me riding (ie: he agrees to watch the kids while I ride!) And I have a GREAT new bike which makes me want to ride more.

I don't know how to pace myself and this is what worries me the most about the triathlon-- how do you keep your legs from wearing out on the bike so that you can still pull off the run?

My running is slow and steady: Not sure what to say here. I don't know anything about technique. I enjoy running but I'm definitely nervous about this part of the race. I can do 3 miles right now, but I'm breathing pretty hard by the end. I'd like to improve this-- mainly by logging more time and distance. This I CAN do with the baby in the jogger-stroller. The excess weight I carry does not help my running!

Fitness/Weight Loss Goals: Well, I'm37 y.o. and with a still-nursing baby. I gained about 40 pounds during pregnancy, and have lost 35 of those. But to get to my ideal weight, I have another fifteen to go. I really feel it when I run, carrying those extra fifteen pounds. I do try to get in at least one weight-lifting workout every week, too.

Past Races: NONE!

Upcoming: First sprint triathlon on June 6, 2009 in New Mexico. 1/2K swim, 20K bike, 5K run. My main goal is to finish with a smile on my face!

My questions: transitions?? yikes, I'm nervous about this! clothing?? (I'm a nursing mom, I need a lot of breast support for the run. Should I change into my sports bra? Should I swim in my sports bra, thereby skipping having to change. And if so, won't it chafe when wet? ) Would really appreciate some links/advice to women-specific forum for this kind of information.

Thank you, Cristina

Hi Cristina!  Sounds like you've gotten some really solid training in already.  Coming from a swim background (even if it was awhile ago) is great.  I know that's a lot of newbies first concern.

A husband as a cyclist will be a big plus.  Sounds like you're getting in some decent mileage there too already.  What kind of bike do you have??  I have a really unhealthy infatuation with all things bike related

The run fitness will come along with the mileage you put in.  I never used to give much thought to run technique, but there are some things  you can do to make things easier.  Also, as far as running off the bike is concerned there is the ever popular "brick" workout, which basically consists of biking and then running immediately afterwards.  I talk about these in more detail in the future, along with transitions.

And for the clothing question.  I did shave my legs yesterday so I'm feeling a little more feminine than usual, but I cannot answer that myself   I'll see what I can dig up in the forums.

2009-04-20 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2097905

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-04-20 3:11 PM

Neal - if you've room for one more - count me in.

NAME: sundevil87 / Thom

STORY: This is my second season of participating in triathlons. I've been a runner most of my adult life and swam in high school. Bike is the new sport for me. I am an Army Officer stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany - but returning to the States this June (Carlisle, PA). I got the tri bug late in 2007. I'm taking the ease into the sport approach (both to learn it well and to not get injured), with my goal of completing an IM being next year - this year I'm going to complete the Quakertown HIM. Last year I focused on the sprint and oly distances. My schedule last summer got screwed up (not unusual in my profession) and I ended up having to cancel out of the oly I had planned but I did have the training base to complete. I'm determined not to let that happen this year. Since I am heading to an Army school for the next year I shouldn't have any problems. I love this sport.

CURRENT TRAINING: I use a combination of a training plan from BT and the Coach Wizard on Training Peaks - both based on Joe Friel's concepts and Mike Ricci (D3) training plans. I try to work out 6 days a week - from 6 to 10 hours per /week. I've not succeeded in getting in all my workouts in yet this year - but I will. Swimming seems to be the hardest. My training base is solid - I can run 2 hrs/plus, bike 3 plus and swim 2500 meters straight. I strength train twice per/week and throw in yoga when I can.

2009 Races: First race in on May 3 in Gelnhausen, Germany - it is a sprint. I have another scheduled in June - but that may have to slip as that is when I'll be deep into getting ready to move back to the States. I have an OLY scheduled in July in Quakertown and then the HIM in September.

RACES SO FAR: Berlin marathon 1999; Butzbacher Sprint triathlon 2008

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Despite the training - I need to lose about 15 - 20 pounds. I weigh in at 198 and want to weigh 180. Damn German Beer!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love the sport. I'm pretty good about posting my training (I use Training Peaks, but I will begin to add it here). I'm pretty motivated. I have some experience - so I think I can share what I've learned so far.

I'm glad there is this April round of mentor groups. I was in a group last year (with Cav in England - hi again Cav) and I enjoyed it.

Thom

Glad to have you Thom!  First off, thanks you for serving in the army.  The stuff you guys do for this country is amazing.  It looks like you have a great training base already.  I don't blame you for not laying off the German beer.  I have a business trip to Duseldorf in about a month and I think that's what I'm looking forward to the most

That sprint is right around the corner.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.
2009-04-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2097984

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Ryden111 - 2009-04-20 3:37 PM

Room for one more?

Name: Ryan

Story: I have never really been what I would call athletic. I like physical activities once I get started, but have had trouble remaining consistent. As far as Triathlons sports go, I have biked recreationaly for about 10 years, although not so much the last 2 years. I do have a gym membership that I have not used since new year. Prior to a winter vacation, I went to the gym 5 days a week for about 3 months and lost 20 pounds. I felt great! I have since regained this weight. I work and go to school, but easily have 7 hours a week to train.

Family Status: 30, married, 2 young boys

Current training: I as said above, I really don't have one. I was thinking of starting the 13 week couch potato to sprint? I am a terrible runner, the will be my biggest obstacle I think.

Races so far: None as of now.

2009 Races: I would love to be ready for a sprint this fall? Maybe some bike rides and 5K runs this summer?

Weight Loss Goals: I am 6 feet tall and 215lbs. I would like to get back to 180lbs.

What will make me a good student: I really feel sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I need a change! I feel like I have the ability to do this, just need guidance ( and somone to keep me on track from time to time.) I have no real guidlines for what to do, so I am very teachable and open to suggestions.

Thanks Neal for the opportunity!

And last but not least, Ryan!  Welcome to the group!  Triathlon is a great way to get in shape and I think the variety makes it much easier to stick with a plan.  With your background, I think the couch to sprint plan would be a good one to follow.

And I'm curious as to what your swimming background is?  It was much harder than I ever anticipated when I first started out (not to scare you or anything )

2009-04-20 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2098205

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mammaJaS - 2009-04-20 5:07 PM Hey Christina, we are in similar kid territory! I'm still nursing as well, and I've heard that finding a great top with a built in bra works well - apparently it takes too much time to add tight stuff after a swim. makes sense. experiment with it in your swim work-outs. I've heard lululemon has a good option, as does Land's End (and they're cheaper). I've read that this is an very supportive top (Aqua Terra line). This is the one i want to try:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraDotSquareNeckXbackSwimTop~191505_593.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PHK&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000001962&origin=index

My questions: transitions?? yikes, I'm nervous about this! clothing?? (I'm a nursing mom, I need a lot of breast support for the run. Should I change into my sports bra? Should I swim in my sports bra, thereby skipping having to change. And if so, won't it chafe when wet? ) Would really appreciate some links/advice to women-specific forum for this kind of information.

Thank you, Cristina

This is great!  I love to see you guys helping each other out too!  I'm not the only one with answers.
2009-04-20 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Ok, now that the group is set I think that the first topic I am going to formally cover is transitions, since there already seems to be some interest.  I'll try and organize my thoughts and post a good summary of what you need, how to set up an area, and tips for speeding things up.  I believe there is a good video about this somewhere on the site as well.

Also, I am in progress of setting up a group table.  It will have links to everyone's blogs and to this thread.  You can post it in your dashboard to have quick access.  I fully encourage dropping by eachother's logs to leave motivational inspires.  I will try and do so on a regular basis as well.

Welcome, and happy training.  Hopefully it's a good spring for all!
2009-04-21 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
2009-04-21 9:11 AM

New user

Eau Claire
Hello Neal

I'd like to join your group.  I'm very new to this.  Actually my wife and I jokingly decided to try a Sprint triathalon.  After some reseach and encouragement from friends we signed up to do one in July.  

I've just started training.  I'm an avid biker.  Last summer I rode 75 to 100 miles a week.  However, I'm not a runner but trying very hard to become one.   In three weeks I'm running 2 miles in 18 minutes.  OK running might be a stretch more of a jogger at this point.  I have tracked all my training.  My personality lends itself to almost being compulsive about logging everything.  

The more I train the more questions I have......

2009-04-21 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2099491

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thorntonma - 2009-04-21 9:11 AM Hello Neal

I'd like to join your group.  I'm very new to this.  Actually my wife and I jokingly decided to try a Sprint triathalon.  After some reseach and encouragement from friends we signed up to do one in July.  

I've just started training.  I'm an avid biker.  Last summer I rode 75 to 100 miles a week.  However, I'm not a runner but trying very hard to become one.   In three weeks I'm running 2 miles in 18 minutes.  OK running might be a stretch more of a jogger at this point.  I have tracked all my training.  My personality lends itself to almost being compulsive about logging everything.  

The more I train the more questions I have......

Hi Mark!  I suppose I'll let one more in  

Sounds like you have some decent bike fitness.  And 9 minute miles is not too shabby for someone just starting out.  You have plenty of time to improve upon that by July.

2009-04-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2099189

User image

Veteran

These are some great links  - thanks for finding them for us!  and thanks for asking the Q Christina

Mae

2009-04-21 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2100911

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Hey Neal and everyone else

Just wanted to stop by to post pad bump your thread.
2009-04-21 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2101242

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
rlejeune - 2009-04-21 6:38 PM Hey Neal and everyone else

Just wanted to stop by to post pad bump your thread.

Hey Robert!  Thanks for the bump!
2009-04-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2098232

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mammaJaS - 2009-04-20 5:15 PM I'm about to head out to a group swim/bike/run - and it's raining which means we'll be on the track. I'm tired and haven't been feeling well but hopefully it's a good night!

On another note (and a q in here)... I've been struggling with eating control this week - I wish I could say that my weight gain was baby weight but it wasn't. I've lost all but 5lbs of baby weight and if you read my intro you'll know how much more i need to lose. a lot. I find when I'm tired i eat more. Tonight after workout - I'll try to just have a glass of O.J. Is that enough to replace my glycogen stores (term I just heard)? Is it necessary to eat more for recovery?

Ooh a recovery question.  I almost missed this one.  Of course there are differing opinions on this as well, but there is some general consensus.

Replenishing your glycogen stores within 2 hours of a workout is generally a good idea.  There is some research to suggest that taking in both carbs and protein is the most beneficial way of doing this.  The protein helps to repair muscle and also aids in uptake of the carbs.  I've read both a 3:1 or a 4:1 carb to protein ratio is a good general guideline.  This can be done with a variety of food sources or liquid sources such as chocolate milk or some whey protein and water.  So while OJ is a good start I would add in some protein too.

There are drinks and bars and such designed specifically for recovery.  I've experimented with some but none have really stood out for me.  I will generally take in even more protein than suggested.  For short workouts (1 hr or less) I'll stick with chocolate milk.  For longer workouts I'll generally mix whey protein with water within a half hour and then eat a meal within 2 hours.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16