BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2009-12-15 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Michael- Thanks for being willing to give your time to this.

First Q: Is any one following Jorge's winter cycling program this year? Last year, I found it really helpful, but I haven't checked it out yet this year.

2009-12-15 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to be a mentor. I believe I counted 14 people in your group, I'll try joining another group.

Thanks
Sylvain
2009-12-15 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2561009

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
slow turtle - 2009-12-15 7:08 PM Michael- Thanks for being willing to give your time to this.

First Q: Is any one following Jorge's winter cycling program this year? Last year, I found it really helpful, but I haven't checked it out yet this year.

Hi Turtle - never heard of it, but please post a link.  I need a plan to follow!  I did, however, just today start a Higdon 1/2 marathon plan just so that I'd have a plan to follow.

Scout
2009-12-15 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2561062

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
sstucker - 2009-12-15 8:47 PM Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to be a mentor. I believe I counted 14 people in your group, I'll try joining another group. Thanks Sylvain

Sylvain, you can't leave, you make us International!  How will we do the Olympic length tri's without you ;-)
2009-12-15 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  I'm glad to see that folks are logging.  I'd encourage everyone to do that.  I've been using the logs here since I signed up and have found them extremely useful.  I'll do what i can to make helpful -- or at least encouraging! -- comments in your logs.  I'd encourage others to do the same as you have the time and desire.

Here, for your convenience, is the group:

Blade(Adam)
Experior(Michael)
grannygear(Melinda)
juneapple(Stu)
linawalton(Lina)
OneFastMule(Mark)
Sammeg(Ted)
scout21(Scout)
slow turtle(Heidi)
Spleen(Pete)
sstucker(Sylvain)
Stone Cutter(Mike)
StlPhil(Phil)
TriGuyBri(Brian)
wplummer(Will)

Edited by Experior 2009-12-15 8:12 PM
2009-12-15 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2561062

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2009-12-15 8:47 PM Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to be a mentor. I believe I counted 14 people in your group, I'll try joining another group. Thanks Sylvain

You're more than welcome to stay!

2009-12-15 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2561116

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
I will start using training logs soon. Thanks for doing this Michael.Nice to meet all of you.Melinda
2009-12-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2561103

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2009-12-15 9:05 PM
slow turtle - 2009-12-15 7:08 PM Michael- Thanks for being willing to give your time to this.

Hi Turtle - never heard of it, but please post a link.  I need a plan to follow!  I did, however, just today start a Higdon 1/2 marathon plan just so that I'd have a plan to follow.

Scout

I am following the plan this year.  I'll be adding one more bike (easy, longer ride) per week soon, but my main bike training right now is to follow that plan.

There is a thread here on BT about the plan:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=186131&posts=373&start=1

The actual workouts are posted by Jorge on his blog.  The link is in one of the first few posts of that thread.

because of my race schedule, I started a few weeks behind, so right ow I'm on about week 4.    The plan can be done any time, but winter is a good time to do it because the workouts are easiest to do on a trainer rather than outdoors.  They are meant to increase your power on the bike.  After just 4 weeks, I'm already seeing some good improvements, so I'll definitely stick with the plan to the end.  The sessions are HARD, but mercifully short.

2009-12-15 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Michael,

First, thanks for your dedication to our success! I guess I will begin the process by asking a couple questions. I am using the Higdon 1/2 marathon plan for a April 2010 race. On the cross training days I am adding spinning (60 min sessions followed by a  1 mile run right after the class ends) and doing the 700m to 1650m in 6 weeks swim plan 3 days a week. I just got a bike (cannondale synapse 5) and will be getting start on the bike as soon as the weather breaks. I guess my real question is weather this is enough volume to get ready for  the half in April.  Here is the basic plan:

2009-12-15 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
 MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Week 1Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
4 m runOFF
Week 2Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
4 m runOFF
Week 3Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3.5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3.5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
5 m runOFF
Week 4Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3.5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
3.5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
5 m runOFF
Week 5Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
6 m runOFF
Week 6Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
5-K RaceOFF
Week 7Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4.5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4.5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
7 m runOFF
Week 8Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4.5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4.5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
8 m runOFF
Week 9Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
10-K RaceOFF
Week 10Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
9 m runOFF
Week 11Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
5 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
5 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
10 m runOFF
Week 12Swim (AM)
Strength (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4 m runSwim (AM)
Cycle (PM 60 min)
4 m runSWIM (AM)
Strength (AM)
Half MarathonOFF
2009-12-15 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
BTW I'm im week two.

2009-12-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2561123

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2009-12-15 8:18 PM
scout21 - 2009-12-15 9:05 PM

Scout

I am following the plan this year.  I'll be adding one more bike (easy, longer ride) per week soon, but my main bike training right now is to follow that plan.

There is a thread here on BT about the plan:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=186131&posts=373&start=1

The actual workouts are posted by Jorge on his blog.  The link is in one of the first few posts of that thread.

because of my race schedule, I started a few weeks behind, so right ow I'm on about week 4.    The plan can be done any time, but winter is a good time to do it because the workouts are easiest to do on a trainer rather than outdoors.  They are meant to increase your power on the bike.  After just 4 weeks, I'm already seeing some good improvements, so I'll definitely stick with the plan to the end.  The sessions are HARD, but mercifully short.

This looks exactly like what I was looking for!  Thanks for posting this link.  I'm sure I'll have some questions tomorrow when I have a chance to really look at it and try and figure out the terminology...

Scout
2009-12-15 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2561192

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2009-12-15 9:57 PM Michael,

First, thanks for your dedication to our success! I guess I will begin the process by asking a couple questions. I am using the Higdon 1/2 marathon plan for a April 2010 race. On the cross training days I am adding spinning (60 min sessions followed by a  1 mile run right after the class ends) and doing the 700m to 1650m in 6 weeks swim plan 3 days a week. I just got a bike (cannondale synapse 5) and will be getting start on the bike as soon as the weather breaks. I guess my real question is weather this is enough volume to get ready for  the half in April.  Here is the basic plan:

Phil,

The Higdon plans are well known for getting people to the finish line of half marathons (and full marathons -- with a different plan of course).  So my first comment is that if you stick to the plan, then you should be fine.

The cross-training will help with aerobic conditioning, but will otherwise not really do much for you that is run-specific.  It is great to keep the metabolism up and as I said to improve aerobic conditioning.  Don't 'substitute' any cross training for running though.  You need the running volume to generate running=-specific adaptations, including building up endurance in your non-muscular soft tissue (tendons, etc.) and building up that network of capillaries to deliver blood more efficiently to the muscles in your legs.  Nothing other than running will do those things for you.

Based on what you'll read in running authors such as Daniels, Pfitzinger, and Fitzgerald (to name some of my favorites), I'd say that the run volume is near the lower end of what you'd want to do for a half marathon.  This makes sense for a beginner plan.  I know that you've had foot and ankle problems so lower volume is probably a good thing in your case.  I think it is better to be conservative this time around and once you are hooked into doing another (!) you could consider doing a slightly more aggressive plan.

Absolutely the most important thing is consistency.  Stick to the plan and you'll maximize your chance of success on race day.
2009-12-15 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2561284

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2009-12-15 9:54 PM

Phil,

The Higdon plans are well known for getting people to the finish line of half marathons (and full marathons -- with a different plan of course).  So my first comment is that if you stick to the plan, then you should be fine.

The cross-training will help with aerobic conditioning, but will otherwise not really do much for you that is run-specific.  It is great to keep the metabolism up and as I said to improve aerobic conditioning.  Don't 'substitute' any cross training for running though.  You need the running volume to generate running=-specific adaptations, including building up endurance in your non-muscular soft tissue (tendons, etc.) and building up that network of capillaries to deliver blood more efficiently to the muscles in your legs.  Nothing other than running will do those things for you.

Based on what you'll read in running authors such as Daniels, Pfitzinger, and Fitzgerald (to name some of my favorites), I'd say that the run volume is near the lower end of what you'd want to do for a half marathon.  This makes sense for a beginner plan.  I know that you've had foot and ankle problems so lower volume is probably a good thing in your case.  I think it is better to be conservative this time around and once you are hooked into doing another (!) you could consider doing a slightly more aggressive plan.

Absolutely the most important thing is consistency.  Stick to the plan and you'll maximize your chance of success on race day.

The other thing with the Higdon plans is that there are usually 3 different levels of each one (beginner/intermediate/advanced).  I looked at the 3 1/2 mary plans and decided to go with the advanced plan because it started with the weekly mileage that I'm currently running which is in the neighborhood of 25-30 miles/week.  By the time it gets towards the end of the plan, I should be in the neighborhood of 40 miles per week.  My 1/2 isn't until May, but I have to have a plan or my training gets all screwed up.  Besides, I want to increase my miles over the winter, and following an established plan seems like the best way to do that.

Scout
2009-12-16 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone!  What's on tap for today?

Me (after I pay the bills -- ugh): 

* swimming this morning (trying to make up for the missed swim yesterday -- someone puked in the pool 15 minutes into my swim yesterday; very pleasant indeed!)
* final Christmas shopping (I got paid yesterday!)
* run this afternoon
* take the kids to get a Christmas tree

All in all a full day. I hope you all have a good one.
2009-12-16 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2561552

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Experior - 2009-12-16 7:14 AMGood morning everyone!  What's on tap for today?

Me (after I pay the bills -- ugh): 

* swimming this morning (trying to make up for the missed swim yesterday -- someone puked in the pool 15 minutes into my swim yesterday; very pleasant indeed!)
* final Christmas shopping (I got paid yesterday!)
* run this afternoon
* take the kids to get a Christmas tree

All in all a full day. I hope you all have a good one.
Todays one of my fun days where I commute into downtown Manhattan, nice 5 hour roundtrip from Long Island. Anyway, hopefully get home in time to get the kids in bed, then I'll hit the treadmill. Have a great day everyone!

2009-12-16 7:53 AM

User image

Regular

Today's an upper body and running day for me.  I did my chest / back / arms weights this morning and I'm planning on 4 mi at lunch.  I'm jealous of those of you that still have warm (or at least not freezing cold) weather.  I'll probably be inside (here in Massachusetts) until March...

- Mark

2009-12-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2561552

User image

Expert
Salem
Just finished my run in between rain showers; had quite a bit of wind anrain in the last 48 hours over here on the pacific coast.  Ran 4.11 miles this morning.  My wife looked at me like I was crazy.  Nothing for this afternoon.

Looking forward to a couple weeks off from work for Winter Break.  Going to spend some time with my son doing father and  son things;  you know PS2; going to he Lego Store; renting videos; playing with whatever Santa Brings (both his and mine).  I am hoping for a H20Audio MP3 Player to use when I swim.  If Santa doesn't bring it (which I doubt he will) it'll be off to the store for me.

Have a wonderful day. Laughing
2009-12-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2561284

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2009-12-15 9:54 PM

Mike,

Thanks. I actually cut back my running volume by a day when I added the cycling and swimming.  I think I'm going to add back the running day to my "lite" day on friday and move my long run to sunday. The extra day will not really effect the foot. Well, nothing that some anti-inflamatories won't fix. That should help to get my volume back were it should be. Man this is REALLY HELPING!

Phil

Phil

Phil,

2009-12-16 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Doh! Stupid fingers!

Mike,

Thanks. I actually cut back my running volume by a day when I added the cycling and swimming.  I think I'm going to add back the running day to my "lite" day on friday and move my long run to sunday. The extra day will not really effect the foot. Well, nothing that some anti-inflamatories won't fix. That should help to get my volume back were it should be. Man this is REALLY HELPING!

Phil

2009-12-16 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Morning everyone - I'll be out the door in about 30 minutes for an interval run.  1 mile w/u, then 7X400 intervals w/200 recovery then another mile or so cool down.  Work is slowing down before the holidays.  I'm going to try and get to the bike shop this afternoon and get some headset spacers so that I can get a little more done on my bike.  All that is left is to cut the steerer tube, install the star nut and then adjust the rear derailleur.  I'm looking forward to getting this project done!

Tonight we have my son's first orchestra concert.  He's in 3rd grade and plays the cello.  It's going to be quite a night! 

Scout

2009-12-16 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Tri swim class this am and spinning class this pm. Worried about the spinning class. The instructor keeps talking about all the cookies she's been baking. I hope she's not been eating a lot of the cookies, she may try to work them off tonight.....................all at one shot. Surprised
2009-12-16 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Scout-The language for the cycling program is hard to figure out at first. Let us know if you have questions.

I'm feeling pretty sick with a nasty cold, so I might try to get a bike in tonight. But I don't think a run or swim is going to happen.
2009-12-16 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
happy wednesday to everyone-
skipped the run today my knee swelled up from yesterdays run. spent some time in the pool 1000yds, and circuit training(60 min).
christmas tree shopping tonite with family.
finish up some christmas shopping during lunch.
2009-12-16 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
IT'S DONE!  I probably have to tweak the shifting a bit, but my new bike is done.  I bought the new frame - just couldn't turn down a nearly 70% off sale and moved the components from my old bike to the new.  I'll break it in on the trainer later tonight or tomorrow.  Sorry about the crappy picture.  I share my basement with my boy...and he has almost as much crap as I do!

Scout

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46