BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sdanaher's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-12-17 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2565424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: RE: sdanaher's Mentor Group - Closed
It was broadcast on some Directv channel at some point and I recorded it. PM me.

2009-12-17 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2557483

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
yea.. bro we will definitely put down some mileage... as for late january, i deploy for work and don't get back until feb 14th.

The drainer is my friend, i tell myself constantly.. Haven't been on it in awhile though.. i suck..

now there's someone keeping me accountable.. should get better..
2009-12-17 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Everyone in our group should add one another to friends to keep inspires up - they really help when you know someone else is checking out your training logs and rooting for you.I've got most or all of you on there already and will definitely be looking in and inspiring.
2009-12-18 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Anyone taking the holidays off from training?I'm going to do some from the 23-27, but won;t have access to my bike and the pool where I will be is very very crowded.Probably just do some runs outdoors and rest up.
2009-12-18 11:49 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I'm trying to use the extra time off during the holidays to ease into a more aggressive workout schedule, so I guess I'm the opposite. I signed up for a pile of classes in the new year (find them motivational) - couple of running groups, swim for triathlons class at my gym, stroke clinic, flip turns clinic (never did learn how to do them properly), couple yoga classes, long-distance bike training class... you get the idea. Figure if I sign up for all this stuff with my friends I'll actually show up.
2009-12-18 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
I'm taking some time off for the holidays...not really by choice but oh well. I am going back to my hometown for 2 weeks to visit the family (leaving first thing tomorrow). There is a small gym in the town (some weights, treadmill, etc.) so I will be hitting that up as often as I can. No swimming pool unfortunately.

I probably won't be around much for the next little bit so I hope everyone has a great holiday season.

2009-12-18 1:12 PM

I am heading to CA for three weeks. I just ordered a foot pod, and hopefully I can run with it. Not sure if I would be able to find a pool in the area I will be. Will be back to Austin on 1/3.
2009-12-18 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
I plan on continuing through the Holidays, hopefully riding and running outside if the weather cooperates.  Merry Christmas!!!
2009-12-18 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Shane,
I forgot to mention one thing about my goals, IM Florida (Panama City) 2011. That's one of the reasons why I'm doing New York at the end of this year. So anything you can recommend for a first HIM and a first IM: i'm ready to listen!!!! Thanks

On another subject: Santa was here today and I just got my first wetsuit!! It is an Xterra VectorPro X2 Sleeveless. It fits great and I've read some good reviews. A bit tight around the neck. Do you know anything about it? any body?
Any recommendations on use and care????
Thanks
Jaime
2009-12-18 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2567027

User image

New user

No break for me!  I'm really hyped to get things going and develop some swim and bike endurance.  I'm thinking of an olympic distance in early July so I think this will give me enough time to prepare for a 16 or 20 week training program.  So far I can swim 75m without stopping...LOL only 1425m to go!

Jason
2009-12-18 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2567531

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
boxer - 2009-12-18 3:11 PMShane,
I forgot to mention one thing about my goals, IM Florida (Panama City) 2011. That's one of the reasons why I'm doing New York at the end of this year. So anything you can recommend for a first HIM and a first IM: i'm ready to listen!!!! Thanks

On another subject: Santa was here today and I just got my first wetsuit!! It is an Xterra VectorPro X2 Sleeveless. It fits great and I've read some good reviews. A bit tight around the neck. Do you know anything about it? any body?
Any recommendations on use and care????
Thanks
Jaime
Woohoo! I needed a wetsuit for my 70.3 last season so I got one. I have a Zoots, it is a little tight around the neck if I don't pull the back up enough, maybe a similar issue? use and care I was told to store it flat, mostly unfolded, and NOT inside-out. Since it is no issue to do just that, I store it that way. I pulled it out the other day just to check on it and it seemed to be doing fine.

2009-12-18 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2567040

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
HNewman - 2009-12-18 11:49 AMI'm trying to use the extra time off during the holidays to ease into a more aggressive workout schedule, so I guess I'm the opposite. I signed up for a pile of classes in the new year (find them motivational) - couple of running groups, swim for triathlons class at my gym, stroke clinic, flip turns clinic (never did learn how to do them properly), couple yoga classes, long-distance bike training class... you get the idea. Figure if I sign up for all this stuff with my friends I'll actually show up.
Well hey, that rocks.I'd love to keep training hard but I think my body wants a couple down days so I'm thinking of doing slow or no runs 25th/26th. Don't sweat the flipturns if you can't get them. You'll never need them in a tri. Even indoor swim tris most people aren't doing them. At most of those you need to switch lanes while turning which is harder, so many just avoid them.Someone told me a joke once that you can pick out the triathletes at a swim masters class - they don't do flipturns.One piece of advice someone else gave me was regardless of turn (open or flip) don't push off too hard ever length, because you don't get that advantage in an OWS and it shortens the length of the pool for stroke count.

OH, PS. yoga is awesome for triathletes if you can get in there from time to time, don't push yourself with the stretches. It helped me loosen up tremendously last winter and avoid/fix some nagging quad tightness that was causing other issues.

Edited by sdanaher 2009-12-18 7:30 PM
2009-12-18 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2567786

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
jason158 - 2009-12-18 4:41 PMNo break for me!  I'm really hyped to get things going and develop some swim and bike endurance.  I'm thinking of an olympic distance in early July so I think this will give me enough time to prepare for a 16 or 20 week training program.  So far I can swim 75m without stopping...LOL only 1425m to go!

Jason

Haha.. dude.. .we were all there. No doubt about it. I was just thinking about that during my swim today. I had an "easy" swim which there was no such thing for me when i re-started swimming as an adult.

Now I did a 1500 today and had to convince myself to keep the pace down even though I just wanted to add some speed and get it done.

You have the right attitude to get focused when you are extra motivated, the dividends will come.

2009-12-18 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2567027

New user

No breaks here. Christmas is not a big holiday here like it is in the states. I get a few days off work, but with no family around there's not much for me to do.  It will give me a lot of time to hit the gym (which actually never closes).  The upside is that I don't face all of the tempting food during this time of the year.
2009-12-18 10:15 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas
Shane- sent you a pm... thanks
2009-12-19 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Just getting back to training.. i feel somewhat behind because of achilles issues.. i feel im getting back though. breakthrough run the other day.. After i watch the championships (kona Ironman, nbc, 4:30) that will re-ignite the fire.. that has dimmed..

Happy Holidays everyone..

2009-12-19 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2568820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
momo - 2009-12-19 2:45 PMJust getting back to training.. i feel somewhat behind because of achilles issues.. i feel im getting back though. breakthrough run the other day.. After i watch the championships (kona Ironman, nbc, 4:30) that will re-ignite the fire.. that has dimmed..Happy Holidays everyone..
I DVR'd that and look forward to watching it many times on the trainer.
2009-12-19 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2568971

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Momo, totally agree!! Perfect timing for the airing of Kona Championship. I DVR it, just got back home and ready to go watch it!!! I'm sure that it will most definitevely reignite the fire!!!

Edited by boxer 2009-12-19 9:34 PM
2009-12-20 10:01 AM

Nassau County, NY
Hey shane...the philly race was awesome. first time i ever did an organized race and the vibe and people were amazing. I hope to do the full this coming year. My parents moved down there 2 years ago and I find myself visiting a lot, great city!

Need some recommendations of a bike purchase and what to do about logging bike hours in the winter. Do I go with riding indoors on a trainer? Are there specific workouts i should be doing or just log hours? Also, I'm beginning to realize running outdoors in NY during the winter is not only cold, its unpredictable and I can never have a set workout. Should I just move my runs indoors as well? 

Thanks again! 
2009-12-20 10:55 AM

Regular
, Indiana
I plan on taking a few days off.  Just finished finals and am mentally and physically worn out.  I trained all through studying.  Ill take the weekend off get back Monday and train through Christmas Eve then take the weekend off again.  Then head back to school for some more studying and start training again.  
2009-12-20 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2569603

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
duvman93 - 2009-12-20 11:01 AM

Hey shane...the philly race was awesome. first time i ever did an organized race and the vibe and people were amazing. I hope to do the full this coming year. My parents moved down there 2 years ago and I find myself visiting a lot, great city!

Need some recommendations of a bike purchase and what to do about logging bike hours in the winter. Do I go with riding indoors on a trainer? Are there specific workouts i should be doing or just log hours? Also, I'm beginning to realize running outdoors in NY during the winter is not only cold, its unpredictable and I can never have a set workout. Should I just move my runs indoors as well? 

Thanks again! 

Tons of great bikes out there today.. You have go ride a few.. all bikes are different. your bike will choose you.. sounds funny but true. i once rode trek bikes.. great bike... my time trial bike is felt, and road bike is fuji..

Normally in the off season is maintenance time.. strength training, work on biking power, running (intervals, speed work).. using the trainer and treadmill can be a torture session.. but its a necessary evil.. lol. if you can brave the elements.. train outside every once and a while.

We you purchase your bike, get a computer that has mounting stuff for rear wheel. this helps with using the trainer. some people use the garmin setup..

hope this helps alittle..
mo

2009-12-20 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Good day my fellow athletes...

Some of you have your logs locked, so we can't view them.

Go to settings -> then to Training Log Settings -> Then uncheck Training log is private..

Edited by momo 2009-12-20 12:39 PM
2009-12-20 2:35 PM

Nassau County, NY
Hey momo...thanks for the advice. I'm going to head out to my local store after the holidays.When you say Garmin setup, are you referring to using a Gamin watch as a bike computer? I have a forerunner 305 and I think I'm supposed to be able to do that. I guess I'll figure that out. When it comes to purchasing a bike though, I'm a bit nervous about making a large investment in an item i know nothing about. Are there places that allow you to demo a bike for a season? I have absolutely no experience on a road bike so its going to be tough for me to make a decision based on what the bike store guys tell me or what I feel while on a trainer in the store. Any suggestions or just head to the store and see what they have to say?
2009-12-20 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2569737

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Sorry mo, I am kind of embarrased, I stoped doing any Log entries around October.
Picking it up tomorrow Monday, Shane made me realize I have exactly 16 weeks until St. Anthony's. I am coming up with a plan. I need to improve not only my biking volume but also the quality of my workouts. I love biking and have a lot of fun in the bike, but I haven't had much direction on how to do it. I've just been......lets say....riding.

Watched Kona last night, I wanted to go running at midnight!!!

Doing a 10k on the 31st at 5pm. Should be a great way to end the year and boost my metabolism a little. It's been kind of dormid!!!

Thanks guys, you all already got me pretty motivated!
2009-12-20 3:25 PM

Regular
, Indiana
duvman I also did the Philly Half. It was an amazing race with an amazing atmosphere. I have to admit though, I was pretty taxed at the end of it and sore for a few days after. How did you feel? How was your time?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sdanaher's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11