Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-12-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2558347

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Group - Open
Got room for one more!  I actually was in another mentor group (SWBKRUN - what the heck was I thinking?!), but I'm already getting a bit overwhelmed with all the posts (and many useless ones, especially since this is my first season).

Lmk, then I'll post my info!

2009-12-17 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2564582

User image

Master
Sin City
abake - 2009-12-17 8:38 AM

Does anyone here do the Coach Troy Spinervals bike workouts?  I borrowed Suffer-O-Rama from a friend and gave it a shot last night.  It seemed like a really good workout although I had some problems with my drainer and had to get off and readjust the bike a couple of times.

I have not tried the Spinervals yet, but I wanted to know what was the issue with your trainer that you had to keep adjusting? I may help with that.  You shouldn't have to keep adjusting it once you have it set.
2009-12-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2564568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Riley,

Welcome to the group,

So do you have any races planned this summer or are you going to work on base training and try and build up some endurance before you try and get some running and biking in?

An Xterra tri is something that I have wanted to do for a while, just haven't found one that works for me.

Good luck in your training and let me know if you have any questions.

Lenny
2009-12-17 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2564688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi DJ

We have room, welcome to the group.

Tell us about yourself and where you are looking for help.

This is my first time as a mentor so I hope we can all learn from each other.

Lenny
2009-12-17 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2564582

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
abake - 2009-12-17 10:38 AM

Does anyone here do the Coach Troy Spinervals bike workouts?  I borrowed Suffer-O-Rama from a friend and gave it a shot last night.  It seemed like a really good workout although I had some problems with my drainer and had to get off and readjust the bike a couple of times.

Never tried any spinervals before. I have a CT and right now I am trying to follow Jorge's training plan, he has some good workouts.
2009-12-17 12:17 PM

New user

Room for one more?

NAME:  bruthfred 78 - Beth

STORY:  31 y/o, live in NJ.  Got married last year and since then, the 'honeymoon' period has had a serious effect on my exercising and my waistline.  A friend at work suggested a 'mini' sprint triathlon in July 2010 and I was intrigued, so I agreed to do it.  I'm a total newbie.  Was a swimmer and runner in high school (very average in both) but that seems like a million years ago, so I don't really know if that benefits me now, other than the fact I can get in the pool and not drown!  Totally new to biking...have to actually get a bike, but I've been using the stationary bike at the gym.

FAMILY STORY:  Married w/4 cats.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Following the 'Couch to Sprint' plan (started on 11/30) and I really enjoy it so far.  Getting up and working out before work as well.  I thought I would hate the early workout, but I'm starting to love it.  Gets it out of the way.  I haven't done the training log yet...will update this weekend. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  'Couch to Fridge' pretty much sums it up

2010 RACES:  Long Branch, NJ Tri Series mini sprint 7/11/10.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Am 5'8" currently weighing in at 162.  Would like to lose between 10-15 pounds (I've already dropped 4 since I started working out/eating better!). 

2009-12-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2563960

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
lrunfit - 2009-12-17 7:29 AM
Lumber Dad - 2009-12-16 7:29 PM Hi Lisa,Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Looks like you have the running and swimming covered. With a little more biking looks like you can do great in the triathlon.Good job on getting into Boston, is this going to be your first Boston?I ran Boston back in 1989, wow that was a long time ago.Do you do any of your running outside? Now that December is here looks like we are getting our Wisconsin winter.Do you do speed work in your running? I know it is hard to get any done outside until spring. I try to work on hills until than.Let me know if you have any questions.Lenny

Yep this will be my first time at Boston - I have only run one marathon and that qualified me.  I try to do all of my running outside.  I just got some yaxtrax for when it is snowy.  Running on the treadmill has a tendency to lead to injures for me so I try to avoid it at all costs.  This summer is the first time that I did hill repeats and speedwork. It paid of big time!  I dropped 3 minutes off my half marathon time (1:27:10).

If anyone in the group needs running advice I am happy to share.  I know I will be asking a lot of biking questions

Thats a great time, I haven't seen that kind of time since I was in my 20's. I am trying to get back under 1:30 again. I did a 1:36 last spring, I think I need to get more time on the track.
2009-12-17 12:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Group - Closed
I would like to join this group as well. 

Me:  trainergirlmick - 40 (almost 41) Milton, WI

Story: I was born and raised in Madison, WI.  Have lived in state my entire life.  Played soccer in high school through college (Division 3) and just got into triathlons 2 years ago.  I have done, sprints, oly's and 1 half IM.  I am signed up for IM Wisconsin this year (signed up with my husband who is in his first triathlon season). I have done several half marathons and  just completed my first marathon (Chicago).  I am a MOP'er, but really enjoy doing triathlons.  I am a one year breast cancer survivor (just finished my year long treatment on 10/23/09 and hoping to be done...will know more by spring of 2010 if I need to start up again).  And yes, I ran the Chicago Marathon and did Spirit of Racine, while going through treatment.  I am looking forward to this next year and "racing" for fun as it always is and some advice and support along the way. 

Family Status: Married and have 2 kids ages 11 and 7 and 2 dogs :-)

Current Training: spinning 2 times per week, will be swimming 2-3 times a week come January 1, running 2 times per week and trying to lift 3 days a week until IM training starts.  Need to lose about 9 lbs of chemo/steroid weight. 

2010 Races: Madison half marathon, Lake Mills Sprint, Janesville 100K Pie Ride, Big Foot Olympic, Ironman Racine 70.3, Madison Mini Marathon, and Ironman Wisconsin.

I think that is it...would love to be in this group. 
2009-12-17 12:34 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I have a couple of the Spinerval dvds and use them occasionally on trainer/rollers.  Jorge's winter biking plan here on BT seems to be very popular.  Mike Plumb at Tri Power Multisports posts swim and bike workouts on his website www.tripower.com -listed under the forum heading.  The bike workouts usually are 60-90 minutes with some solid intervals based on power or HR zones.  I use these 2x a week and typically incorporate a long ride on weekends to get 3x bike in.  Spinervals help break th monotony if I dont have a specific type of workout in mind.  Anything to get me through on the indoor workouts... 

2009-12-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2564827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Beth,

Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.

I think having some swim expericance puts you ahead of the game there. Running and biking will come along with the more time you put in. Work in to it slowly, build up a base now. You don't want to increase too fast and risk an injury.

Looks like you are in the right direction with your weight loss. Some times writting it down helps.

Looking forward to seeing your logs, they help keep you going too.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Lenny
2009-12-17 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2564691

User image

Expert
Illinois

I wanted to know what was the issue with your trainer that you had to keep adjusting? I may help with that.  You shouldn't have to keep adjusting it once you have it set.

gasketGreat, maybe you have run into this? It's a Cyclops Mag Trainer. When doing standing-on-the-pedals work, the rubber gasket (see my crude Photoshopping) on the tube that supports the back wheel would work loose, thus freeing the wheel. Very dangerous!

Should add that this does not happen under normal use.

I thought about supergluing the gasket to the tube but maybe there's a better fix?

2009-12-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2564882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi, Welcome to the group, thinks for joining.

Wow!!! Great job making it through cancer treatments. Plus finishing a Marathon & 1/2 IM at the same time.

You should have no trouble with an IM after going through all of that.

I did Racine in 04 & 07, I like that race. Was going to do Door County this year but didn't work out, maybe next year.

Looks like you have a great year planned out leading up to IM Wis, let us know if you have any questions. I did Wis back in '06 when it rained all day.

Keep up the good work on your logs.

Lenny
2009-12-17 4:10 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay...so started using the training log on here, but I'm confused.  My Monday has a red box around it and my thursday has a gray one...what do these mean....anybody?

And Lenny, what kind of dog is brewer...does he like running in the single digit temps???

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2009-12-17 4:13 PM
2009-12-17 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2564568

User image

Expert
Illinois

RACE GOAL: Finishing an Xterra in 2011.

That sounds like a whole lot of fun. Have you picked out any likely races yet? I know there were some over in Indiana. If I could get out on the mtb more often I would love to do a short xterra someday.

2009-12-17 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2565482

User image

Expert
Illinois

jgerbodegrant - 2009-12-17 4:10 PM Okay...so started using the training log on here, but I'm confused.  My Monday has a red box around it and my thursday has a gray one...what do these mean....anybody?QUOTE]

The red outline means injured/sick and the grey outline is for the current day. 

2009-12-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2565482

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
jgerbodegrant - 2009-12-17 4:10 PM Okay...so started using the training log on here, but I'm confused.  My Monday has a red box around it and my thursday has a gray one...what do these mean....anybody?

And Lenny, what kind of dog is brewer...does he like running in the single digit temps???

He is a yellow lab. He doesn't seem to mind the cold too much, even when it is cold he likes to stick his nose in the snow.

Nice job on the training log, they look nice.

2009-12-17 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
NAME: CyborgQueen/ DJ B

STORY:
Born and raised in NJ, moved to Las Vegas in 2008. I'm also deaf (and I guess in a way it makes me stand out!). In 2008, I got two cochlear implants (one in each ear), and I can hear a lot better than hearing aids.  I've been a couch potato my whole life. There isn't an athletic bone in my body...until now.  I started cycling in end of July 2009, and logged 860 miles since then.  I've been "considering" triathlons as my stepsister does triathlons. However, a friend of mine did some and was looking for a tri partner. I was encouraged by my biking friends to do it...so here I am!  I know what to "expect" at races, but never experienced racing at all.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged to Roy, with 4 cats and a dog: Mocha, Hobbes, Keno, Reno and Stardust (the dog). Currently a student enrolled in Game Art and Design. So I have a very flexible schedule that many triathletes will envy. Wink

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing some running (as I have never ran in my LIFE!), and will be starting swimming in Jan when I get back from NJ.  Since I'm already experienced with cycling, I thought I could at least tackle these two for now, but WILL do some invervals on trainer.  Real set schedule training starts in January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races - but completed two charity rides - RTC Viva Bike Vegas: 35 miles, and Empower To Ride for Breast Cancer (support group charity ride) - 51.2 miles

2010 RACES:  Kind of up in the air. I have a couple that I'm thinking of. IronGirl tri in May, Lake Las Vegas Triathlon and Las Vegas Triathlon.  I am hoping to be strong enough to do one olympic, but we'll see! Many of the Las Vegas triathlons are later in the summer.   On top of this, I will do three charity rides - ADA in April (64 miles), RTC Viva Bike Vegas (either 64 or 118), and MS 150 (150 in span of 2 days - this ride is NOT official yet, but I'm considering it).

WEIGHTLOSS: After I started cycling and eating a little bit better, I've lost 17 20 pounds (as of yesterday) within a couple months, and is losing more.  I would like to lose a bit more, but not a huge priority.

2009-12-17 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2564827

User image

Master
Sin City
bruthfred78 - 2009-12-17 10:17 AM

Room for one more?

NAME:  bruthfred 78 - Beth

STORY:  31 y/o, live in NJ.
FAMILY STORY:  Married w/4 cats.

Welcome fellow NJian!  (Although, I don't live in NJ anymore)

Have you considered doing Randolph Lake Triathlon?  My stepsister did that for two years. It was her first triathlon, and I believe she said it was a good course for a new triathlete. I think it happens in July(?).  When you do your mini-sprint, you could do the Sprint. :-)

2009-12-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2564942

User image

Master
Sin City
abake - 2009-12-17 10:52 AM

I wanted to know what was the issue with your trainer that you had to keep adjusting? I may help with that.  You shouldn't have to keep adjusting it once you have it set.

gasketGreat, maybe you have run into this? It's a Cyclops Mag Trainer. When doing standing-on-the-pedals work, the rubber gasket (see my crude Photoshopping) on the tube that supports the back wheel would work loose, thus freeing the wheel. Very dangerous!

Should add that this does not happen under normal use.

I thought about supergluing the gasket to the tube but maybe there's a better fix?

I don't have Cyclops Mag Trainer (I have the Fluid one, but it's pretty much the same).  I can see exactly what you mean. My "gasket" is on there pretty tight with no way to budge.  I would NOT use superglue because you may spill some on the metal bar that moves, then you're SOL! Or, it won't work on metal/smooth materials. So, to be honest, I really recommend you to call Cyclops and see what they can do.  From what I've heard and read, they have a pretty good customer service. See if your warranty is still okay. Maybe they can send you a new gasket, or they can somehow repair it.

Probably why it comes off when you do intervals or heavy use, is because you're bouncing a little, and it jiggles it loose.  I would get it fixed right away, but I wouldn't use superglue.
2009-12-17 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2565639

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
CyborgQueen - 2009-12-17 7:09 PM NAME: CyborgQueen/ DJ B

STORY:
Born and raised in NJ, moved to Las Vegas in 2008. I'm also deaf (and I guess in a way it makes me stand out!). In 2008, I got two cochlear implants (one in each ear), and I can hear a lot better than hearing aids.  I've been a couch potato my whole life. There isn't an athletic bone in my body...until now. 

That's so cool!  I mean...cool is probably the wrong word to use, but I have always been intrigued by deaf people and the use of sign language etc.   I would love to hear how your race life/cycling differs and how you deal with traffic etc.  This may be sort of a stupid questionk, I mean, I know you probably use sight more, but I would be scared!  Welcome to the group!!
2009-12-17 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2565647

User image

Expert
Illinois

CyborgQueen - 2009-12-17 6:20 PM
abake - 2009-12-17 10:5I don't have Cyclops Mag Trainer (I have the Fluid one, but it's pretty much the same).  I can see exactly what you mean. My "gasket" is on there pretty tight with no way to budge.  I would NOT use superglue because you may spill some on the metal bar that moves, then you're SOL! Or, it won't work on metal/smooth materials. So, to be honest, I really recommend you to call Cyclops and see what they can do.  From what I've heard and read, they have a pretty good customer service. See if your warranty is still okay. Maybe they can send you a new gasket, or they can somehow repair it.

Probably why it comes off when you do intervals or heavy use, is because you're bouncing a little, and it jiggles it loose.  I would get it fixed right away, but I wouldn't use superglue.

You are probably onto something about bouncing and jiggling the trainer, it's hard for me to pedal smoothly when standing up. I'll see if I can get a new gasket.  It's about two years old but maybe I'll get lucky  Thanks for your insight!

2009-12-17 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2565639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Welcome again DJLooks like you have the biking down. How is your swimming, do you already know how to swim or are you looking into lessons?Looks like you are building your running up slowly, if you never ran before this is a good idea. I see the IronGirl is 3.1 miles so you should be able to build up to that by May. Some people have more trouble with the swim so you might need to work on that more.Are you still able to bike outside? I think I will be stuck on the trainer for the next few months.Let us know if you have questions.Lenny
2009-12-17 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

An issue that I run into is the bike/run transition. It seems to take the better part of a mile to "get my legs under me" and at sprint distance, that's significant.  I'll do a couple of sprint distance tris early in the season, with the first being in April. I am guessing I need to incorporate more brick workouts.  Thoughts, opinions on how often to do this?  Many of the training plans I see don't really have you doing bricks until quite close to race day. I am not sure that is enough.

2009-12-17 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2565832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
abake - 2009-12-17 8:26 PM

An issue that I run into is the bike/run transition. It seems to take the better part of a mile to "get my legs under me" and at sprint distance, that's significant.  I'll do a couple of sprint distance tris early in the season, with the first being in April. I am guessing I need to incorporate more brick workouts.  Thoughts, opinions on how often to do this?  Many of the training plans I see don't really have you doing bricks until quite close to race day. I am not sure that is enough.

When I was training for my IM I tried to add a brick to my long run and long bike. Then on other days in order to get all my work outs in I would swim first then get a run or bike in as a second workout. In my shorter tri I never had any problems so I didn't do as many. So if you are have more trouble you should try and got more in. The more you can get in the better. They don't even have to be that long, maybe 10 - 15 minutes for a shorter race.Since I have to take my dog for his run first thing in the morning I do my run first then my bike or swim.
2009-12-17 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2565668

User image

Master
Sin City
jgerbodegrant - 2009-12-17 4:35 PM
CyborgQueen - 2009-12-17 7:09 PM NAME: CyborgQueen/ DJ B

STORY:
Born and raised in NJ, moved to Las Vegas in 2008. I'm also deaf (and I guess in a way it makes me stand out!). In 2008, I got two cochlear implants (one in each ear), and I can hear a lot better than hearing aids.  I've been a couch potato my whole life. There isn't an athletic bone in my body...until now. 

That's so cool!  I mean...cool is probably the wrong word to use, but I have always been intrigued by deaf people and the use of sign language etc.   I would love to hear how your race life/cycling differs and how you deal with traffic etc.  This may be sort of a stupid questionk, I mean, I know you probably use sight more, but I would be scared!  Welcome to the group!!

You haven't seen cool until I can put spoons on the sides of my head and allow it to stick...I have magnets, so any metal objects can stick on it. I've gotten loads of laughs doing that.

Cycling - not that much, however, I hear more of the wind more than anything else. If someone is behind me and starts talking, I immediately move to the right in case if they were saying On your Left.  "hearing people" has the tendency to speak lower, not "ON YOUR FRICKIN' LEFT!!". Occasionally I can catch someone yelling that.    I most likely will sport a COOL Tri Top that says "DEAF" on the back. Will I get more cheers that way? *winks*

I've been deaf my whole life, so it's nothing.  It's going into T1 after the swim that would freak me out..to make sure I adjusted my CI correctly, make sure that my bike helmet is not pushing my CI coil on too tight...oh boy!  :-)

Edited by CyborgQueen 2009-12-17 9:26 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 28