2009-12-21 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2571959

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: zia_cyclst's Group - Open
geauxtri - 2009-12-21 6:32 PM
zia_cyclist - 2009-12-21 10:10 AM
geauxtri - 2009-12-21 10:00 AM Can I join? 

Absolutely.  Anyone who has LSU in their avatar is in!  I'm from south LA and went to LSU.

Way cool... I'm from Morgan City... graduated from LSU in '97... You?

Opelousas.  I went to LSU for three years.  Finished at USL (ULL now) in '84.

2009-12-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2563554

User image

Seminole, FL
Subject: RE: zia_cyclst's Group - Closed
NAME: JenMcConnell/ Jen

STORY: I started training for my first triathlon last year at this exact time. My first was a sprint in May 09'. I had not trained in six weeks and thought well I already paid I might as wel do the thing. Just cross the finish was my goal. Well, I did it. I finished and I was sold on this wonderful world of tri-ing ! I have since done 2 more and a crazy trail/hill 10k run race and get faster every race. I am not fast but just love seeing if I can beat my last race pace. My fav. sport was swimming then biking and has moved to running! I love love love to run. I never thought I'd say that. I am very slow but aim to get better this year. I am using the Jeff Galloway method and have for a month now, not loving it  but doing it no the less for the sake of speed. Go slow to get fast? We will see if it pays off inseason.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 3 year girl and 15 month old boy. Hubby is putting some pressure for me to get pregnant soon. I still plan to train if I do.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for the a half marathon in March and Oly as well as the same 4 sprints as last year.

2009 Races:
Madria Beach Mad Dog Sprint
Top Gun Sprint
Sand Key Sprint
Suncoast Sprint
Richmond TT 10k

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to lose some more. 15- 20lbs.

Looking forward to a stellar season with some new tri-buddies to spur on!!!!

2009-12-21 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2572071

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
JenMcConnell - 2009-12-21 7:53 PM NAME: JenMcConnell/ Jen

STORY: I started training for my first triathlon last year at this exact time. My first was a sprint in May 09'. I had not trained in six weeks and thought well I already paid I might as wel do the thing. Just cross the finish was my goal. Well, I did it. I finished and I was sold on this wonderful world of tri-ing ! I have since done 2 more and a crazy trail/hill 10k run race and get faster every race. I am not fast but just love seeing if I can beat my last race pace. My fav. sport was swimming then biking and has moved to running! I love love love to run. I never thought I'd say that. I am very slow but aim to get better this year. I am using the Jeff Galloway method and have for a month now, not loving it  but doing it no the less for the sake of speed. Go slow to get fast? We will see if it pays off inseason.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 3 year girl and 15 month old boy. Hubby is putting some pressure for me to get pregnant soon. I still plan to train if I do.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for the a half marathon in March and Oly as well as the same 4 sprints as last year.

2009 Races:
Madria Beach Mad Dog Sprint
Top Gun Sprint
Sand Key Sprint
Suncoast Sprint
Richmond TT 10k

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to lose some more. 15- 20lbs.

Looking forward to a stellar season with some new tri-buddies to spur on!!!!

I used Galloway's run/walk for my first IM.  It works.  For my first time long course athletes I recommend run/walk for their long runs.  Stick with, I think you'll see results.

Gordo Byrn (a former pro triathlete) and his wife Monica have blogged on pregnancy and training.  You might find some of their posts interesting.  I don't have any children so I didn't really read the posts.  I just know he's posted some about their experiences.  Type pregnancy into the search bar on his website: http://www.endurancecorner.com/
2009-12-21 8:54 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
First assignment: add all of the team members to your friends list in your training log.

Second, start using the training log to log your workouts (if you aren't already).  We need to see what you are doing.  I looked at several of your training logs.  I see some good looking logs.  Others are blank. 

Third, inspire each other in their training logs.

BTW...I mentored a group in 2008.  I didn't in 2009.  What I found is that participation is key (obvious remark).  Ask questions; post answers to questions; inspire each other; log your training.

Each week or so I'll post a topic to discuss.  We'll discuss it until it's thoroughly understood, then move on.  If you have a topic you would like to discuss then bring it up. 
2009-12-22 1:18 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
(Edited) nevermind it says closed now.

Edited by IdealMuse 2009-12-22 1:18 AM
2009-12-22 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I'm going to be sort of out of touch for the next few days.  Where we're going we'll only have dial-up internet connection Surprised.  I might be able to go into town and find a real connection.  Anyway, just wanted you guys to know.  Have a Happy Holiday.

2009-12-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2572421

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
IdealMuse - 2009-12-22 1:18 AM (Edited) nevermind it says closed now.

You can still get in if you want and if you haven't already joined another group.
2009-12-23 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2572171

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
I think I've got 1 done, and been logging my workouts for a while.  How do we do 3? Inspire eachother in training logs?
2009-12-23 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2575992

User image

Elite
Utah
benjaminjacobso - 2009-12-23 4:27 PM I think I've got 1 done, and been logging my workouts for a while.  How do we do 3? Inspire eachother in training logs?

When you visit someone's log there's a line "Inspire me".... click on that and leave a note of "inspiration" for someone.
I'll show you an example ;-)

I've been pretty bad with this task as of late   Hopefully once the holidays are over I will have more opportunities to do so (crossing fingers)
2009-12-24 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Subject: Getting going

In today's swim masters workout, the coach said we would do 24 100s on a :10 RI.  I'm comfortable in the water, but I get tired fast.  24 100s would be killer.

It took me about 8 to get a good pace (which turned out to be 2:05, including the RI).  But an interesting thing happened at about 14.  I quite suddenly felt like I could do this forever.  I have the same experience on the run -- the first 3 miles, in general, are unpleasant.  But after that, I feel like I could run forever.  The bike is the same -- the first 10 miles are painful, but then I hit a stride.  A 3-mile run or a 1,400m swim, or a 10 mile ride seem like awfully long times to warm up.

Does anyone else have the same experience?  What can I do to make the first part of the workout more comfortable, or at least reduce the distance before I get that feeling that I could go on forever?  At first I thought it was speed, but, at least on the run, my speed stays relatively constant throughout.

BTW, I ran out of time before doing 2,400.  But I did get 2,000 done.  Not too shabby!

2009-12-24 7:08 PM

User image

New user

Houston, TX
NAME: Kate

STORY: I did my first tri when I was 6- Ironkids. I grew up watching my dad train for marathons and triathlons. He used to run while pushing my stroller, and actually pushed me through a few races. I was huge into sports as a kid, but became a total couch potato.

I'm 23, and I graduated from college last May. During college, I didn't have time to sleep so working out only happened during breaks. I basically sat in class or infront of a computer all day, ate junk (because it was fast & easy) whenever I started to feel lightheaded, drank disgusting amounts of energy drinks, and set new records for sleep deprivation. I was looking forward to a fresh start- new city, beginning my career, and a new training program. That didn't quite happen. The project I was supposed to work on got cancelled, so my job offer was rescinded. My 5.5 year relationship ended when my boyfriend moved back to his home country to take care of family after his father's death. Everything in my life got turned upside down, so I started running to manage the stress.

While I'm looking for a new job, I've got tons of time to train. I want to take advantage of that. My goal for 2010 is to do a couple of sprints, and at least one oly. I want to be competitive. I'd like to do a tri with my dad at his pace (or faster Wink).

FAMILY: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been running about 40 minutes each day. I am having trouble with my knee, so I'm laying off this week. I spent 30 mins on the bike for the first time in years. My Christmas present to myself will be shorts with thick padding. I have no clue what I'm doing as far as a training plan, so advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2009 RACES: Houston Sheltering Arms Turkey Trot 5k

2010 RACES: Undecided. Hopefully I'll get a job soon *fingers crossed*, and then I'll look into the races in that area.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 10 pounds.

2009-12-26 11:25 AM

User image

I'm looking for a good base build training plan for the 1st 3 months of next year.  Any suggestions?  Most of my workouts will be inside through mid-march due to daylight and weather.  I know everyones goals and starting fitness levels are different but maybe this could be a good topic for open discussion.

I see a lot of plans for sale online and I wouldn't mind purchasing one but I'd really like recommendations first.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

2009-12-27 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2576866

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Getting going
StevenK - 2009-12-24 11:00 AM

In today's swim masters workout, the coach said we would do 24 100s on a :10 RI.  I'm comfortable in the water, but I get tired fast.  24 100s would be killer.

It took me about 8 to get a good pace (which turned out to be 2:05, including the RI).  But an interesting thing happened at about 14.  I quite suddenly felt like I could do this forever.  I have the same experience on the run -- the first 3 miles, in general, are unpleasant.  But after that, I feel like I could run forever.  The bike is the same -- the first 10 miles are painful, but then I hit a stride.  A 3-mile run or a 1,400m swim, or a 10 mile ride seem like awfully long times to warm up.

Does anyone else have the same experience?  What can I do to make the first part of the workout more comfortable, or at least reduce the distance before I get that feeling that I could go on forever?  At first I thought it was speed, but, at least on the run, my speed stays relatively constant throughout.

BTW, I ran out of time before doing 2,400.  But I did get 2,000 done.  Not too shabby!

Wow.  24x100.  I've never done any workout like that.  My swim workouts are highly varied.  You could really work on Mental Skills doing 24x100!

What do you do for a warm up?  It seems to me that it takes your body a while to get warmed up and up to speed.  A dynamic warmup could help this process.  My warmup routine does not include stretching.  I do exercises like lunges, Romanian dead lifts (without weight), squats, bridges, etc.  These are all exercises that mimic the motion your body is about to undertake.  For swimming you might add dry land exercises using bands.  The key is to elevate your heart rate some and activate the muscles you will be using in swimming, biking or running.

Great job on the 100s. 
2009-12-27 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2578123

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
jhoyt1 - 2009-12-26 11:25 AM

I'm looking for a good base build training plan for the 1st 3 months of next year.  Any suggestions?  Most of my workouts will be inside through mid-march due to daylight and weather.  I know everyones goals and starting fitness levels are different but maybe this could be a good topic for open discussion.

I see a lot of plans for sale online and I wouldn't mind purchasing one but I'd really like recommendations first.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

Have you looked at the plans on BT?  There are several plans for off seaon, winter maintenance and plans for all distances.  If you have a silver membership you have access to all of the plans.  If you have a gold memebership you have access to all fo the plans + access to a coaching forum.  These plans can be imported into your training log.  I've used several of the plans over the years.  Mike Ricci wrote most of these plans and I really like his methodology. 
2009-12-27 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2578824

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Getting going
zia_cyclist - 2009-12-27 8:10 AM
What do you do for a warm up?  It seems to me that it takes your body a while to get warmed up and up to speed.  A dynamic warmup could help this process.  My warmup routine does not include stretching.  I do exercises like lunges, Romanian dead lifts (without weight), squats, bridges, etc.  These are all exercises that mimic the motion your body is about to undertake.  For swimming you might add dry land exercises using bands.  The key is to elevate your heart rate some and activate the muscles you will be using in swimming, biking or running.

Actually, I don't really do anything for warm-up.  I just start.  For running, I start with a 5 min. brisk walk, then I stop to stretch, then I start.  For swimming, we generally do 300-600m of easy swimming, kicks, and drills as warm-up.  I try to go easy on the bike when starting, but to go anywhere from my house, I have to bike uphill -- so not much warm-up there.

Never thought about the warm-ups you describe.  I'll try that... thanks for the tip!
2009-12-27 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Subject: Thanks for the inspire
@Jen -- I got an inspire from you last week!  What a nice thing to do.  I really appreciate it.  It's funny how a little message like that really can be inspiring.

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me, but I will definitely pay it forward (and back). 

Thanks!

2009-12-28 8:13 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Bump...
I thought we were lost...
Don't want anyone else to get lost...

Perhaps tomorrow I will not only find my way back to this thread but also through the doors of the gym at work...
2009-12-28 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Hey guys and gals, 
After the holidays we'll dive into this head first.  In the mean time, think about your goals, set some firm race dates, register for a race if you can.  Nothing like a race entry to get you motivated. 

Speaking of motivation, think about why you do what you do.   Your motivation for doing triathlon?  Next week I'll have some questions about motivations. 
2009-12-31 12:39 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. We had two grandkids visiting (a 1 year old and a 4 year old) and I don't get much computer time when they are around.

NAME: Dan

STORY: I'm 51 and live in Sendai, Japan. I was part of a staff reduction at the end of 2007 and have given myself a few years off to a) catch up on life, i.e., things I like to do besides work b) see how far I can get with triathlons - ideally I want to do an IM.

In 2008 I struggled with learning to swim and bike again. I hadn't really done either for 30-35 years and only knew how to swim with my face out of the water. I also struggled with getting my running going again. I've had knees problems since doing a marathon back in 2001. This year I did manage to put together just enough training to get through my first Oly and finished in 3 hours (literally 3:00:11).

My training consistency stabilized after the Oly although I do have occasional knee problems with my knees. My left hip and left shoulder are also bugging me from time to time.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons from my wife's previous marriage. We have 3 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING:

- Run: Currently working on trying to build a consistent running base. I'm shooting for 5 runs/week and trying to stay in zone 2 while I slowly ramp up the distances.

- Swim: I recently took two private 30 minute lessons to get some critique and advice on my form. I wish I had done it a year ago. I am going to continue this once per week for a while and see what the coach can do with my stroke. The first two sessions were definitely worthwhile. I try to get to the pool 4 times per week.

- Bike: I would like to be cycling 3-4 times per week, but the weather is not going to allow that to happen. I have a trainer on order, but probably won't get it until the end of Jan. My alternative in the near term is to spend time on the health club bikes.

- Weight training: I was doing weights until June and stopped because of problems with my left hip. I recently started again with one set with very light weight and high reps.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Utsukushima Triathlon (Oly)

2010 RACES:

a 10K or HM in April/May (maybe)
Oly end of June or beginning of July (TBD)
Utsukushima Triathlon (Oly) on 8/22
Shizuoka HIM on 9/19

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently at 62 kg (137 lbs). I think my ideal weight is probably 59 or 60 kg (but a little more muscle and a little less fat) so I expect my training increases in 2010 will get me to where I want to be.

Edited by dcon 2009-12-31 12:51 AM
2009-12-31 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2581065

User image

Veteran
It is a pain to get here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=190683&posts=44&start=1

2010-01-01 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2585644

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
dcon - 2009-12-31 12:39 AM Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. We had two grandkids visiting (a 1 year old and a 4 year old) and I don't get much computer time when they are around.

NAME: Dan

STORY: I'm 51 and live in Sendai, Japan. I was part of a staff reduction at the end of 2007 and have given myself a few years off to a) catch up on life, i.e., things I like to do besides work b) see how far I can get with triathlons - ideally I want to do an IM.

In 2008 I struggled with learning to swim and bike again. I hadn't really done either for 30-35 years and only knew how to swim with my face out of the water. I also struggled with getting my running going again. I've had knees problems since doing a marathon back in 2001. This year I did manage to put together just enough training to get through my first Oly and finished in 3 hours (literally 3:00:11).

My training consistency stabilized after the Oly although I do have occasional knee problems with my knees. My left hip and left shoulder are also bugging me from time to time.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons from my wife's previous marriage. We have 3 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING:

- Run: Currently working on trying to build a consistent running base. I'm shooting for 5 runs/week and trying to stay in zone 2 while I slowly ramp up the distances.

- Swim: I recently took two private 30 minute lessons to get some critique and advice on my form. I wish I had done it a year ago. I am going to continue this once per week for a while and see what the coach can do with my stroke. The first two sessions were definitely worthwhile. I try to get to the pool 4 times per week.

- Bike: I would like to be cycling 3-4 times per week, but the weather is not going to allow that to happen. I have a trainer on order, but probably won't get it until the end of Jan. My alternative in the near term is to spend time on the health club bikes.

- Weight training: I was doing weights until June and stopped because of problems with my left hip. I recently started again with one set with very light weight and high reps.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Utsukushima Triathlon (Oly)

2010 RACES:

a 10K or HM in April/May (maybe)
Oly end of June or beginning of July (TBD)
Utsukushima Triathlon (Oly) on 8/22
Shizuoka HIM on 9/19

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently at 62 kg (137 lbs). I think my ideal weight is probably 59 or 60 kg (but a little more muscle and a little less fat) so I expect my training increases in 2010 will get me to where I want to be.

Dan, nice, detailed profile.

Japan has an IM, right?

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness. 

Weight Training: I prefer "functional strength training" instead of the weight machines or free weights.  Functional training is especially helpful for knee, hip, back problems.  Check this website for some functional strength training exercises: http://www.coreperformance.com/ . A few years ago, I had ITB syndrome and a painful periformis muscle.  Both my chiroprator/ART doc and a sports medicine MD recommended these types of exercises to fix these problems.  It worked.

2010-01-01 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Happy New Year!
2010-01-02 3:00 AM
in reply to: #2587654

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-02 12:32 AM  

Dan, nice, detailed profile.

Japan has an IM, right?

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness. 

Weight Training: I prefer "functional strength training" instead of the weight machines or free weights.  Functional training is especially helpful for knee, hip, back problems.  Check this website for some functional strength training exercises: http://www.coreperformance.com/ . A few years ago, I had ITB syndrome and a painful periformis muscle.  Both my chiroprator/ART doc and a sports medicine MD recommended these types of exercises to fix these problems.  It worked.

Happy New Year Tommy!

Yes, Japan does have an IM on the official circuit.  It is in a city called Goto.  I hope to get there (or some other IM distance race in Japan) in a year or two.

Thanks for the link.  I poked around a little, but wasn't sure exactly what you meant.  Are you saying to check in the specific injury articles and look for functional exercises or is there a specific article you can point me at.    I looked at this knee pain/injury and it has a bunch of exercises that don't require machine/weights:

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/knee-pain.html 
2010-01-02 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
zia_cyclist - 2010-01-02 12:32 AM  

On your running, I'm a firm believer that running more often (not necessarily longer) is the way to build run fitness.

** With 5 runs per week, I've been trying to decide whether to distribute increases across all runs or to move towards one long run, 2 medium, 2 short.   For example (conservatively adding 10 minutes per week):

distributed:

30  30  30  30  30
    30  35  30  35  30
    35  35  30  35  35 
    35  40  35  35  35
    etc....

mix with long run:

30  30  30  30  30
   30  30  40  30  30
   35  30  40  30  35
   35  30  50  30  35
   40  30  50  30  40
   40  30  60  30  40
   etc....

I've started moving down the mix path and my last 5 days was  40  30  50  30  40

Which approach do you think is better for the longer term?    

Thanks,
Dan

2010-01-02 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2571979

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: zia_cyclst's Group - Open
I need to add a week into my schedule.  The exact date for my February event is 1 week later than I thought.  I need to insert a week - is there any easy way to do that?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclst's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 6