BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-12-30 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2577496

User image

Eastern Iowa
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED
McFuzz - I started Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week this last Monday and wondered what your thoughts are regarding this program.  Would you recomend any strength training with this program and is there anything else you would recomend to the first timer?

2009-12-30 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2583744

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

jboyles - 2009-12-30 8:59 AM McFuzz - I started Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week this last Monday and wondered what your thoughts are regarding this program.  Would you recomend any strength training with this program and is there anything else you would recomend to the first timer?

I'm not too familiar with this program.  I've heard that strength training is beneficial for multisport (you can check my logs to see that I haven't done any strength training... )  One of the guys I was running with today is a big proponent of strength training as a key to his 100-mile runs. 

2009-12-30 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

And it's time to C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E!! 

Here's my 2009 run total: 

Run:170h 31m 22s  - 1003.31 Mi

You think those little 3-mile runs don't count in the grand scheme of things?  I suppose I could have skipped one of them, but I'm glad I didn't (or at least I didn't skip enough to keep me from achieving this total )

2009-12-31 5:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

Congrats on your 1000 mile success!!!! It has got me thinking on my grand total for the year......

2009-12-31 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2583344

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

discipleguideservice - 2009-12-30 12:19 AM Ok- so I have a pretty nice spinning bike, a tread mill, and really good efx eliptical machine in my home gym.  My only bicycle to date is a Schwinn Moab MB.  So I just went and looked at tri-bikes tonight.  A little sticker shock to say the least.  The question is, is it realistic for me to train on my spinning bike for the next couple of months and purchase a tri-bike in the spring, then still be ready for an IM in Sept?

Josh

Yep when I went out to buy the bike I was amazed that even the pedals were sold seperate! I started to think they were going to charge me for the air in the tires!  I ended up with a Scott S50 - best advice is negotiate.  I ended up with the bike, pedals, shoes, and a helmet (because sooner or later I will crash!) for the same price as the bike itself when I first walked in.  I negotiated down and paid cash.  If I recall the pedals were about $40 - shoes - $60 - Tax-$50 and a helmut about $35.  I saved close to $200.

I guess that is one good thing about the current economy.  My bike shop was trying to thin its inventory and by paying cash they didn't have the credit card fee.

Although I have yet to ride another bike my scott has been amazing.  Very light and tight.  I have yet to have any mechanical issues and when riding it is super quite.  I would reccomend the Scott series to anyone.

Wally

2009-12-31 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2585747

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Thanks Kevin,

Thanks for the info, I have a fairly high end Schwinn mountain bike, so I knew about the separate pedals, shoes, etc.  I went and got measured up a couple days ago for a tri-bike, so at leaste I know what size frame I am looking for.  I am considering going used from craigs list or ebay.  I got time, as you probably know, we are in for another round of snow tomorrow, temps in the single digits for next week.

One thing that is really unfortunate, I got all this great mountain bike gear, and non of it works for road bikes except the dumb helmet (different shoes, pedals, sadle, tires, rims  -  the hole shooting match).  Having a mountain bike compared to a road or tri-bike is like having a motorcycle compared to a convertable car.

Anyways, I will be on the spinning bike starting next week pretty hard, that should keep me busy for a couple months.

2010-01-01 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Question...  I am using a road bike that was my brother's... I know I need a  new seat, tires, but the pedals are LOOK pedals.  They look like I could keep them and just buy the shoes, but I am not sure??  And if so, what kind of shoes should I buy??

Thanks,

Laura

P.S I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow till the 11. I'm not sure if I'll have internet.
2010-01-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2587458

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

laurak11 - 2010-01-01 8:08 AM Question...  I am using a road bike that was my brother's... I know I need a  new seat, tires, but the pedals are LOOK pedals.  They look like I could keep them and just buy the shoes, but I am not sure??  And if so, what kind of shoes should I buy??

Thanks,

Laura

P.S I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow till the 11. I'm not sure if I'll have internet.

You can keep the pedals.  You'll need shoes and replacement cleats (unless your brother still has them).  As for what kind, there are really 3 kinds of bike shoes:  mountain bike shoes, road shoes, and triathlon shoes.  You'll probably want to skip mountain bike shoes (they've usually got some tread on the soles and are usually designed for SPD pedals).  Road versus triathlon shoes?  Triathlon shoes usually have a single strap that opens to the outside (so you can put them on or take them off while riding) whereas road shoes will have 2 or 3 straps (and maybe a ratcheting buckle).  If you're doing short races, the tri shoes offer an advantage.  On a 10+ hour day, you won't notice the 10-20 seconds to tighten regular road shoes (unless you finish in 11:00:07 or something like that).  Almost all road/tri shoes are Look compatible, but it doesn't hurt to ask to be sure.  As for brands, that's a personal preference and different brands fit...differently...because they're molded, make sure the pair really fits because they won't stretch like street shoes do. 

As you start riding more, pay close attention to any knee pains that may be a symptom of something not set up right on your bike.  Your knee should be slightly bent (about 15 degrees) at the bottom of the stroke (one way to check is to put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke.  If you can with your leg straight but without stretching or rocking, it's about right.

Enjoy the vacation!  I'll be traveling the week you get back, but should have SOME internet access. 

2010-01-04 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Anybody have any reccomendations for a good - beginner to interm swim timed work out?

Something in the 1500-1800M range - please include times as I know I can swim the distance it is just I have no clue if I am swimming at a snails pace or too fast that I would never finish a longer swim.

Kevin

2010-01-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2592064

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

wallico - 2010-01-04 8:55 AM

Anybody have any reccomendations for a good - beginner to interm swim timed work out?

Something in the 1500-1800M range - please include times as I know I can swim the distance it is just I have no clue if I am swimming at a snails pace or too fast that I would never finish a longer swim.

Kevin

First step is to do a swim "time trial."  Swim a 200-300 yard warm-up.  The time trial is 1000 yards with a goal to finish as fast as possible with even splits for the first and last 500 yards.  Swim a 200 yard cool-down.  In my own case, I'll swim the TT in 17:00 so I'd shoot to finish each 500 in 8:30.  If I'm 8:00 and then 9:00, I went out too hard and couldn't hold the pace.  I'd consider it a successful time trial if the splits were within 15 seconds of one another, so 8:20 & 8:35 would be OK. 

You can then find swim workouts based on this "T-pace." 

An alternative is to swim 10x100 (100 yard intervals) trying to keep each 100 on the same pace.  (+/- 2 seconds would be considered pretty consistent).  With long rest intervals, you can do these hard (so maybe shoot for 1:30 with a 1:00 or 1:30 rest).  With shorter intervals, you'll have to back it off and maybe shoot for 1:45 with 0:15 or 0:30 rest.  I'll swim 1:35-1:38 with 0:12-0:15 or 0:22-0:25 rest so I'll go off either every 1:50 or 2:00.  I probably don't push too much harder and that's probably why I'm still swimming 1:50'ish splits in many of my races.  (I don't swim straight, so my official pace is pretty slow )  I usually try to keep my overall pace right around 2:00/100 including rests. 

2010-01-06 3:24 PM

User image

Eastern Iowa
Help - My running is by far the biggest strruggle I have.  I am at a walk/run pace now but can't seem to make any real headway toward running distance or over 5 mph for any amount of time. 
I have run sevral 5K races which felt like a near death experience and seem to be in a rut in my trainning. 

Is there anyone out there that has any tips for beating a plateu?

2010-01-06 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2598602

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

jboyles - 2010-01-06 4:24 PM Help - My running is by far the biggest strruggle I have.  I am at a walk/run pace now but can't seem to make any real headway toward running distance or over 5 mph for any amount of time. 
I have run sevral 5K races which felt like a near death experience and seem to be in a rut in my trainning. 

Is there anyone out there that has any tips for beating a plateu?

Let us know what part you are struggling with....will your legs not make it or do you struggle with the breathing or something else?

For me my legs felt great but I could never get the breathing down or relaxed.  Once I ran out of breath I was done eventhough my legs were still fresh!  Most of the time that was between 2-3 miles.  I have since learned that a need to relax and breath longer instead of quick gasp of air.  When I start to feel the onset occur I breath several time very long in thru the nose and slowly out the mouth.  At first try it seems to make things worse but shortly after 2 of these every 3-5 minutes it seems to relax me which in turns gives me another mile to go!

It took me a few trys to get what I now feel comfortable doing on the run so if that is the case then give a few different ways a try and motor on!

2010-01-06 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2598744

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Good advice.  I have been running since high school.  Was on the varsity cross country team.   We did lots of different drills and kinds of training.   By far the most important thing is breathing.   For me it goes something like this, long distance runs are all about rythm.  I breathe in through my nose for two steps, then out of my mouth for two steps.  For sure this will varry for every person, depending on your cardio, but remember it is all about keeping a smooth rythm.
2010-01-07 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I think you guys are starting to figure out how these mentor groups work! 

Josh, Wallico, thanks for the suggestions to help Josh with the running. 

Josh (B),  As Josh and Wallico have asked, what's the specific issue you're having?  Out of breath/heart racing?  Legs just don't want to turn over? 

A couple things to consider is it's easy (very easy, from personal experience) to get into a rut and plod along at a safe pace for a safe distance.  When you do this, you'll experience the "plateau" that you talk about.  Consider mixing up the runs a lot.  Have you considered trail running?  We have an active group of trail runners here.  On the road, I'm running 8:40--9:00 pace (when the weather is cool and the roads are clear) for 4--13 miles.  When we hit the trails, it's usually much slower (I figure 12 minutes/mile) and we'll run 4--10 (last spring, training for the ultra, we had some 20-30 mile runs).  We walk up the hills (and sometimes down them if they're really treacherous).  The pace is relaxed and we're usually chattering back and forth the whole time whereas the road runs, I'm not ready to talk much.  All of a sudden, we've run 5 or 8 miles and it doesn't seem like we've really "worked" at it.  Nice change of pace.  As for running faster, take one run a week and do some "strides" (20-30 seconds where you pick up the pace) with a couple minutes of running recovery.  For me, this would be 20-30 seconds at a sub-8 min/mile pace and then 2-3 minutes at an 8:45-9:00 pace.  This gives you a chance to work on the breathing issues mentioned above, plus you can partially flush the lactic acid from your legs.  If you run in town, this can be one block fast and two blocks slow.  If you're in the country, use utility poles. 

Spend some time focusing on your posture and foot-strike.  Are your feet "slapping" the ground?  Get up on your toes and lean forward a little.  Again, start with small intervals until your body adjusts. 

2010-01-07 3:44 PM

User image

Eastern Iowa
Awesome poitners!  My legs tend to be the biggest issue, they get tired after 5 minutes and at the point my run falls apart, start slapping my feet ect.  I have never really experienced problems with breathing although if I were to run longer say 7- 8 minutes this would probably be an issue. At the 5 minute mark my heart rate is typically around 179 and my legs are spent.
2010-01-08 1:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Hello,

Swimming is relatively new for me.  I mean, I know how to swim... I grew up with a pool in the backyard, but I've never swam laps.  I've got a beginner question:

Is it helpful to wear ear plugs?  I took a little swim today and notice the water bothering my ears a bit. Maybe I'm just not used to the feeling??

BTW, I am participating in a class on Saturday at the health club to get some coaching on technique... I'm looking forward to it!!

Enrique 

2010-01-08 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Earplugs can definitely help.  I have some and wore them for the swim in Coeur D'Alene but don't usually wear them for lap swimming.  Cold water sloshing around in your ear can lead to headache and dizziness (which is why they're helpful in cold water).  Having water in my ears doesn't bother me when I'm swimming, but it does afterward, so I usually ignore the warnings on the box of cotton swabs...

Enjoy the lessons.  Sometimes, just making the commitment to be at the pool at a specific time every week helps as much as anything.  Swimming (at least not for most of us) is not about speed, it's about technique and being smooth and relaxed in the water is the first step. 

Use positive visualization.  You'll subconsciously try to make whatever mental image you have reality.  As you drive to the pool, and as you change clothes and shower, imagine what a great swim "looks like."  Gliding effortlessly through the soothing, calm, water...Your breathing is relaxed (remember, it's effortless).  You can see the tiny air bubbles coming off your hands and arms.  Your motion is fluid, like a dolphin or a manta ray (the manta ray comes from Maria40nc in my friends list.  She swims under water following the contour of the pool just like she imagines a giant manta ray doing in the ocean. 

2010-01-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2602174

User image

Eastern Iowa
ecpasos - 2010-01-08 1:41 AM Hello,

Swimming is relatively new for me.  I mean, I know how to swim... I grew up with a pool in the backyard, but I've never swam laps.  I've got a beginner question:

Is it helpful to wear ear plugs?  I took a little swim today and notice the water bothering my ears a bit. Maybe I'm just not used to the feeling??

BTW, I am participating in a class on Saturday at the health club to get some coaching on technique... I'm looking forward to it!!

Enrique 

I took a triathlon swim class at the local Y and it was the best money I ever spent.  I think any swimming help is priceless and I also found it to be allot of fun!
2010-01-08 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2602450

User image

Eastern Iowa

Is there any tips out there for keeping goggles from foggin up?

2010-01-08 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2599834

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

The stride thing reminds me of when I ran cross country we used to hate the coach when he would make us do "fartlicks"  sounds like something I made up, I know.   But it really is a word... means short fast sprints spaced out throughout a long run.  Great training tool.  Especially notice it when you want to pass someone on a trail.  We usually went full sprint from telephone pole to the next.  We would do them about 3 times per mile.

2010-01-08 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2602687

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
There is a spray you can buy at most scuba dive shops that you spray inside the lense, then wipe it clean.  It is pretty good stuff.  A cheaper alternative is to spit in the goggles, wipe it around, then rinse it back out with pool water.  Sounds gross, but that is what old school scuba divers do.

2010-01-08 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2602687

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

jboyles - 2010-01-08 9:39 AM

Is there any tips out there for keeping goggles from foggin up?

I get them wet, , wet my face a little, lick the inside of the lens and then put them on over my eyes before I get in the water.  I don't put them on top of my head at all and rarely have a problem with them fogging (or leaking).  Periodically, I'll give them a good swish/scrub.  The fogging occurs when you trap a lot of moisture inside the goggles and it condenses on the lens.  When you put then on top of your head, your body heat is evaporating all of the water in your hair and it goes...UP...right into the goggles.  If you really saturate your face (like try to put the goggles on after you've gone under water once), you likewise trap a lot of moisture. 

2010-01-08 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Thanks for the swimming tips. 
2010-01-09 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If you've seen the inspires in my blog, I've got a couple other BT'ers who may pop in now and then.  I hope that is acceptable to all of you.  I've even encouraged them to contribute. 

Are you logging?  Some log lots of details on their workouts and their day.  Others are pretty brief.  The more you can log, the more you'll remember the context of the workouts when you go back in a few months or years.  It's easy to get caught up in the current training saga and forget how far you've come, and looking back on the earliest days may be a way to find the gems in your journey. 

Are you inspiring each other?  Those encouraging words from everyone in the group become a great motivator for those days when you're busy or tired or frustrated. 

I'll be out of town for the week with limited internet access.  I should be on every day, but it won't be all day, so if it's taking an unusually long time for me to respond (or I'm not inspiring quite as much as "normal" ) that's why. 

2010-01-11 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2604669

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

So I tried GU for the first time yesterday.  I must say it was nothing like I expected, the taste and texture will take a few to get used to.  I am glad I had water with me! 

I will say my first expierment with it went well no major gut/stomach cramping and did log a good workout - 2 hours and 53 minutes.  Ended up taking 2 during the workout. - Flavor - LimonLime.  I paid $2.50 each at a Dick's Sporting Good Store.

Anybody have any favorite Race supplements?   Water, Gatorade, Cliff shot, GU, powerebar gel?  If anyone has had any successes or failures let me know.  I am going to try a few so I will give a review as I try a new one!

Kevin

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11