BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-12-29 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2580219

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED
Hi Pirategirl:

Do you know if  you have to be a Bronze member or better to download a training plan into your log?

I tired to download a plan and either I'm doing something wrong or don't have the membership level do it.

Thanks,

2009-12-29 10:45 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
We now have 10 wonderful ladies in our group!

CURRENT LIST OF OUR GROUP MEMBERS:
PirateGirl - Elaine (mentor)
Youngatheart - Carol
krescent - Krescent
Nimue - Jessie
SGeranium - Christine
swgraham - Sandi
carol5133 - Carol
jae.miles - Jessica
Denverjess - Jess
Dene - Nadine
trainforacure - Carol

Whew! You gals kept me on my toes this evening. As soon as I read and responded to one, another was joining our group. This is great! Everyone is motivated to get this going and join together to help motivate each other as we kick off 2010.

If you click on each person's name above, that will take you to their training log here on BT. (You can also click on the "log" link under each person's name in their post). Every user on BT has a log, even if they don't use it or know that it's there. But we are going to use them each and every week to keep in touch with each other, as well as this thread. We'll click on each other's logs to see how we are all doing, but keep coming back here for the group discussion. This is where I'll post random triathlon tips/info, even if I'm only talking to myself. The list of our group is also at the very top of this thread, on page 1. This is going to grow to several pages, so you can always find it on the top on page 1.

As a group, we should add each member to our log "friends" list. On the row up above where the BT logo is you'll see the "Training Log" button in the middle. That will always take you to your log. You'll see your friends listed on the far right in your log. To add friends, click on the blue plus at the top right of the friends list. Then type in the BT username and click "Update Friends" when done. You should see their link in your friends box. This makes it easy to just click on each person's log, rather than searching for this list in this thread. It also enables us to "see" each other's logs if you have your logs closed and only accessible to those on your friends list.

The "Inspire" button is very important. It's how you leave a little note in a person's training log. If you've been "inspired" for the day, you'll see a little red number in your log on that day, and there is also a link at the very top under the BT logo in your "user information." If you click on the little red number, it opens the note. Everyone likes getting "inspires" so don't be shy in using that feature with our group members. 

Edited by PirateGirl 2009-12-30 4:49 PM
2009-12-29 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2583296

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
swgraham - 2009-12-29 7:39 PM Hi Pirategirl:

Do you know if  you have to be a Bronze member or better to download a training plan into your log?

I tired to download a plan and either I'm doing something wrong or don't have the membership level do it.

Thanks,

Whooops! Yes, sorry about that. To load all the details of the plan into your "planned training" requires a minimum of the bronze membership.

For the Free plans, I think you can still view them and print them out. You can always manually enter planned training into your logs, you just have to do each one by hand. It's not too bad if you can cut & paste. That's what I have to do each week. My coach delivers my plan on Training Peaks, and I cut and paste from that site over to my BT plan.
2009-12-29 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2583249

New user

Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - OPEN

Thanks Elaine,

I am really excited about the site.  So much to learn.

My first race is in May in Grande Prairie AB and both my sisters will be there as well.   It could prove interesting as I haven't been even near a swimming pool in 12 years and last time I rode a bike I think I was in grade 5! Mostly the swim scares me the most but I am not really sure why. 

2009-12-30 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Thanks Elaine! Looking forward to doing a lot of learning with this group! Smile
2009-12-30 12:18 PM

Whee!  Thanks Elaine....here we go!

2009-12-30 1:18 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
My training log should be public again. You will notice that I haven't been keeping track! I hope to change that soon!
2009-12-30 5:09 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Since many are new to BT and using the logs, here's a quick user guide article on how to log your workouts:

Logging Your Workouts

And for those that want to get fancy and make their blog a little more personal and pretty:

Making Your Training Log Pretty

I'm a bit addicted to the "pretty" factor.

You'll notice that when you fill out something in your blog and save it, the calendar square for that day will change color. The calendar starts out blank and white. If you write comments in the blog, it will change from white to yellow. If you log swim, bike, or run data, it will change to peach. The "Logging Your Workouts" guide above has all of the color combinations.

Since the calendar is about to flip and we will be starting with a new month and a new year on Friday, I'm going to put out a challenge to our group. Let's see if we can keep our calendars colored, meaning filling out something (anything!) in our logs each day. This will be a great way to get in the habit of using the logs regularly and tracking our workouts. And since swim, bike, and run data rank the highest, I'm gonna give out a Queen Peach award in our group to the gal that is able to get the most peach squares in January. This doesn't mean you have to do 3 hour rides or 2 hour runs. If you get a 10 minute run done, that counts for peach! (I may get on your case if you log a bunch of 1 minute workouts though ).
2009-12-30 9:15 PM

I also signed up for the January peach challenge.  I'm hoping this plus people keeping an eye on me will get me back on track Laughing.
2009-12-30 11:41 PM
in reply to: #2583302

New user
Thank you very much for including me in your group.  As I said my name is Carol and I am 60yrs old.  I live in Interlachen, Fl a small town outside of Jacksonville, between St. Augustine and Gainesville.  My town is 6 miles in radius.  I am an avid runner, but have recentenly fallen off the waqon and can't seem to get back on. 
        I have 2 daughters, both married, one in Ormond Beach, Fl and one in Graham, Wa.  I have 4 grandchildren and one on the way.  As I get older and things go south more, I realize how important it is to stay in good health.  My eating habits are not the best, I love junk food and chocolate, but am going shopping this weekend, cleaning out all the junk, and replacing it with healthy snacks.
       My goal has always been to run a marathon, and am so excited to be included in your group, as now I have friends to help me get there.
      I work full time 3-11 at the local hospital, so my exercise time is in the morning and on days off.  I have a route mapped out in my neighborhood for walking, just need to get off ther couch in the morning and do it.  I just tend to let other chores get in the way and then my time is gone.  I have decided that when I get up around 9am, the first thing I am going to do is walk.
          Working at the hospital I also have full access to the rehab center gym, where I can go for free.  On bad weather days this comes in handy.  There is also a indoor community pool that I am going to inquire into and try to get there at least once a week to just swim a lap or two for starters.  I realize I need to start out slow, it won't happen over night, but now there are people there to get me through it.  Thanks again Carol
2009-12-31 8:23 AM

I ordered my swimsuit today and bought goggle yesterday.  Looks like I am really going to do this.  Yikes!

2009-12-31 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2585620

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Youngatheart - 2009-12-30 8:41 PM 
     I work full time 3-11 at the local hospital, so my exercise time is in the morning and on days off.  I have a route mapped out in my neighborhood for walking, just need to get off ther couch in the morning and do it.  I just tend to let other chores get in the way and then my time is gone.  I have decided that when I get up around 9am, the first thing I am going to do is walk.

Nice! I have to do most of my workouts in the mornings too. As the day goes on, I'm more likely to make excuses to bail out on them. When I get up and get out the door on the workout I know it will get done. Plus, I'm half asleep so by noon I hardly remember it.
2009-12-31 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2585879

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nimue - 2009-12-31 5:23 AM I ordered my swimsuit today and bought goggle yesterday.  Looks like I am really going to do this.  Yikes!

Woohoo! Nothing like a flashy new suit.
2009-12-31 4:27 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Ok ladies. January 1st 2010 is tomorrow! Who has a New Year's Day workout already planned?

I'll be doing a run. Nothing too tough or too easy...right in the middle at the moderate pace. Tomorrow afternoon my husband and I are having friends over to play on a mountain bike skills course we put up in the backyard. It has a few jumps, log crossings, and a teeter totter. Several of the ladies coming over are in my tri club and are new to mountain biking, so this will be great practice for them. Now I just have to clean the house tonight to make it "presentable" in case they need to come in and use the bathroom.
2009-12-31 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Happy New Year to everyone! Laughing  Here's to our new tri lifestyle!!!

Thanks for the tips on "decorating" our pages.  That was the first thing I noticed since I also like colors/design.  I plan to girly-up my page soon!

Tomorrow and Saturday are the heaviest in training since I started.  It is the first double/back to back centuries weekend I have to do.   Ergo, I am at home getting ready to go to bed instead of partying.  The ride's director recommended doing these back to back 100's before the big event.  I got 9 DVDs/movies lined up, plenty of HEED and Perp and bananas and dates.  My goal is to do them as close to the real event--meaning taking short breaks only at 20 miles/marker and do them in 7 hrs or less.  The longest I've gone inside so far is 60 miles in close to 4 hours last week.  So, I'm confident about hitting the goal for 1 century.  The challenge/wall that I have to break through is repeating it on Sat. 

My ride is 5 weeks way but I am getting nervous about it.  Specifically, the climbing (it doesn't help that the ride's director keeps posting pictures of hills in his FB account!!  I'm training for the climbing using blocks and standing on my bike while in the hardest gears.  But, I keep thinking nothing beats the real thing.  Yet, I don't have any takers here to go ride that long outside in 30 deg weather!! Geez!  The only hilly area close to the city has very narrow roads and rude drivers; so, I don't feel comfortable riding alone.  After reading stories here in BT and other endurance sites, I have realized that I have to start working on mental attitude of being positive and visualizing a good outcome.  In fact, I printed picts with hills from the ride (last year's) and pasted them in front of my bike to give me a target when I use the blocks.   At some point, I have to trust I am doing my best in preparing myself with the resources I have.  Surely, being in hilly Puerto Rico right now would help a lot!! So, that's where I am.  Hopefully, my knee won't act up and I can do this. Smile I also plan to stop looking at the ride's elevation maps in mapride.  1,000 stares and OMGs are enough!
2009-12-31 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Happy New Year to all of you. I have to work tomorrow, so am planning to do some time on the treadmill at the company gym over lunch.  I'm sure that there will be football on the TV in the gym, so that should be good for at least 20-30 minutes.

I haven't done anything in about 6 months, so plan to start out slow, so may end up being a walk/jog rather than a run.Smile

2010-01-01 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2583302

New user
Happy New Year,
           I am really pumped about this an with all the support I am getting I don't see how I can possible fail.. I am looking forward to a healthy and happy new year  and a year where I achieve my goal physically and don't just talk about it.  It is chilly here, worked a double yesterday so didn' get home till 7am, but am still going to go wou and walk. Mapped out a shorter route at my house, 0.36miles per lap so I am going to try to get back up to doing it 6 times like I use to.  It's a start to get me back into shape so I can train harder.  Also have a longer different route to switch off with.  Plan to alternate the two so as not to get bored.  Thanks again for being there
                                          Carol 
2010-01-02 12:20 AM

Happy New year Ladies.  Today My Dh and I did a 5k resolution run that ended with a polar bear swim  around the dock.  Soooooo many people, hard to run in such a crowd.  We had a BLAST.  Good to know I can run after an evening of to little sleep and a little to much wine.  This is not recommended for race performance.Sealed
2010-01-02 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
I have 2 peach days in a row. That's a pretty good start for the year. Wink
2010-01-02 6:00 PM

New user
well I walked again today and added another lap to my walk.  the last lap was not as fast but I got it done 
2010-01-02 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
I got 150 in of the 200 goal.  The Sat. morning errands ran past noon and I didn't get on the trainer until 3:30.  I was a bit pooped by then.  I also realized I didn't eat enough after yesterday's ride nor this morning.  So, I had to stop at only 20 miles, eat a huge sweet potato loaded with sugar, take 20 mins break and then ride again.  I also learned Aquaphor is NOT going to cut it for long distance riding Yell I am not wearing cycling shorts for at least 48 hours! hahaha! (no, really)

2010-01-02 9:43 PM

Hello team...so glad to see you here and Happy New Year!

Question - The bike paths and roads around here are covered with ice and temps hovering around 0. What is the best way to get in a bike workout at the gym - take a spin class (never done this before) or hit the stationary bikes? Thanks for your thoughts!

2010-01-02 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2590033

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
trainforacure - 2010-01-02 5:47 PM I got 150 in of the 200 goal.  The Sat. morning errands ran past noon and I didn't get on the trainer until 3:30.  I was a bit pooped by then.  I also realized I didn't eat enough after yesterday's ride nor this morning.  So, I had to stop at only 20 miles, eat a huge sweet potato loaded with sugar, take 20 mins break and then ride again.  I also learned Aquaphor is NOT going to cut it for long distance riding Yell I am not wearing cycling shorts for at least 48 hours! hahaha! (no, really)

Great job! For saddle sore prevention I like Chamois Butt'r. Once the sores happen, after a shower I put Vaseline on the sore spots and that seems to help them heal faster. Hopefully it didn't get that bad for ya! Definitely give the bum a break.
2010-01-02 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2590131

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
carol5133 - 2010-01-02 6:43 PM

Hello team...so glad to see you here and Happy New Year!

Question - The bike paths and roads around here are covered with ice and temps hovering around 0. What is the best way to get in a bike workout at the gym - take a spin class (never done this before) or hit the stationary bikes? Thanks for your thoughts!

I've never done spin, but lots of my friends do. They like the challenge and structure of the class. With the stationary bike you may have to come up with your own workout to follow, and it may get boring. In a class you've got music and someone yelling at you what to do.
2010-01-03 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Elaine, I had tried that during a long distance event and it burned me.  Learned the hard lesson not to use something new/different during an event! haha!  Someone just recommended lantiseptic which I will give it a try.  I couldn't find it at local pharmacies.  I'll have to order it online.

Carol, you will love spinning!  It gets your heart going and it's more fun than riding by yourself.  Just make sure you arrive minutes before the class and tell the teacher you are new so that s/he will help you adjust the bike fit.  Make note of the handle bar/seat position they do.  Also, pace yourself! Do not crank up the dial (i.e. make it harder to spin) to keep up with the class.  It's fine to take it slower and to even remain on your sit.  I'd also recommend sitting mid to back of the class so you can learn body position from the most experienced folks who usually sit in the front.  Look for folks with negative body fat levels wearing coordinated cycling gear.  Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7