BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-04-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Open
everybody send some positive karma my way... get my test results from my MRI back tomorrow...

my next couple of months all hinge on it :/

Christina and Krystyna, both of you have fun and set some records racing this Sunday!

2010-04-13 11:01 AM

User image

Morning everyone!

Got my indoor bike trainer (It's a Bell stand type) last night and put it together this AM.  I'm like a kid at Christmas I swear!  We've had some rain off and on, so my plan is to rack my bike tonight on it and ride indoors for the first time

Any tips or pointers are appreciated.

FYI,  I'm doing the BT beginner cycling training program to get my legs up to snuff for now.  I typically have enough leg strength for speed, but am lacking endurance, so that's what I'm hoping to build up in doing this program.
2010-04-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2788203

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Nice! Let us know how it goes. I haven't really looked into trainers yet, but am always keeping my eyes peeled for deals on Craigslist. Having the option to ride inside would be nice, but in my tiny apartment I don't know where'd I'd even store it.
2010-04-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2788343

User image

drphungky - 2010-04-13 9:38 AM Nice! Let us know how it goes. I haven't really looked into trainers yet, but am always keeping my eyes peeled for deals on Craigslist. Having the option to ride inside would be nice, but in my tiny apartment I don't know where'd I'd even store it.

I got mine on Ebay, for 60 bucks (free shipping).  Luckily I have a spacious living room (and the bf can't complain because his golf clubs take up space, hehe) to ride indoors.  I had to watch around on Ebay for a deal for a while, at least 3 weeks before I found mine.  I was going crazy because the weather has been back and forth here with the rain and temps.  I definitely notice more injuries when I ride in the cold and I want to minimalize damage to my bike/tires from wet roads.  I've had a bike rust out bad from rain damage, so I'm going to avoid it if I can!  I need some new tires though soon.  Mine are looking a little worn.
2010-04-13 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
drphungky - 2010-04-13 10:38 AM Nice! Let us know how it goes. I haven't really looked into trainers yet, but am always keeping my eyes peeled for deals on Craigslist. Having the option to ride inside would be nice, but in my tiny apartment I don't know where'd I'd even store it.

I found my Blackburn magnetic trainer on bonktown.com for 75 I think.  It's not the best trainer but it gets the job done!
2010-04-13 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
NAME: b2673ad/  Kevin

STORY:
  51 years old-  former soldier, I own and manage my own business and it has been very challenging for the past 18 months.  I was up  to 310 pounds, joined WW, bought a road bike and dropped down 230. Then I had hernia surgery in August 2008 and the weight has been slowly coming back.  I started training for a Sprint Race in June 2009 and completed my first race in August 2009.  I injured my knee training for race #2 (DNS) and completed race #3 (Oct, 2010) while walking the run.  Knee surgery 30 Dec 2009. 

FAMILY STATUS:
Married (29 years), 2 children- daughter got married last week and my son graduates from college in May 2010.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I am training about 5 days a week and looking on turn-it up a notch in May -June

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Right now I am signed up for 2 Sprints here in Charleston.  1 May & 23 May.  Plus I am signed up for the LowCountry Splash a 2.4 mile OWS on 5 June.  I am thinking about doing an Olympic distance race in September but waiting to sign-up after I see how my knee does here in May.

2009 RACES:
  3 80 mile bike rides and  2 Sprint Races.

WEIGHTLOSS:
  I am looking to get back  down into  the 240's currently  at 263.5.    I am 6'5" in height. 

I am looking for some extra eyes to evaluate and motivate me to step up my training and performance.  I really want to complete that Olympic distance race in September. I hope there is room here for an older guy.

Thanks

Kevin

2010-04-13 6:33 PM

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
NAME: PATiger33/Jeff

STORY:
 I was a serious triathlete in a former life (10 years ago) and raced every distance.  I left the sport because of time issues and injuries.  However, I am going through some personal and professional changes and believe that triathlons and the training involved with triathlons help me focus on my life goals.  I am 34 and am working on my LLM in Taxation at Villanova.  I am originally from Louisiana and am a huge LSU and Saints fan.  

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single, Never Married and No Kids

CURRENT TRAINING:
 I am doing the 5 month Ironman training schedule and P90X.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 I will do all distances and hope to get a lottery spot in Hawaii.  I will probably run Savage Man.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 I am 6'2" and am at 190.  I want to race around 170-175.  I used to race around 160, but I was too thin.  I plan to keep a little more muscle this time around so I can attack the hilly courses.

2010-04-13 7:20 PM

User image

Welcome all the new folks!

Uhoh Jeff's a Saints fan!  Me and the bf are Colts fans...might have a challenge on our hands here, hehe.

Completed my official day one on BT's Beginner Cycling Training.  Bike trainer was fun!  Better than riding in the cold wind and rain.   Gotta get some new tires though.  Mine are almost shot.  My front one won't hold air.  Keeps going flat.  I don't see any puncture marks, but it won't stay nice and firm.  not good for when I ride on the road.   any suggestions on how to save a buck on tires?
2010-04-13 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Welcome Kevin and Jeff!

Sorry If I'm a bit of a Spaz this week, between the doctors appointments and planning my best friends bachelor party / wedding (well... i'm not planning the wedding) for this weekend, I may be a bit less responsive than I usually am.
2010-04-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2789812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-13 9:14 PM 

Sorry If I'm a bit of a Spaz this week, between the doctors appointments and planning my best friends bachelor party / wedding (well... i'm not planning the wedding) for this weekend, I may be a bit less responsive than I usually am.

Bachelor party? GET OFF BT AND GOOO PARTTTY!!!!!! 
2010-04-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2789812

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-13 9:14 PM Welcome Kevin and Jeff!

I was the father of the bride last week.  Enjoy the wedding week.  I will be off the net Wednesday and Thursday while in Memphis.

Thanks for letting me join the group.

Kevin

2010-04-13 8:35 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
it's kind of sad, there was a sprint I really wanted to do too
I was asking "can I still be the best man in my tri-suit?"

Sadly, they wanted it a bit more "traditional" and demanded I be in a real suit...
2010-04-13 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2789676

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jessistriohmy - 2010-04-13 8:20 PM Welcome all the new folks!

Uhoh Jeff's a Saints fan!  Me and the bf are Colts fans...might have a challenge on our hands here, hehe.

Completed my official day one on BT's Beginner Cycling Training.  Bike trainer was fun!  Better than riding in the cold wind and rain.   Gotta get some new tires though.  Mine are almost shot.  My front one won't hold air.  Keeps going flat.  I don't see any puncture marks, but it won't stay nice and firm.  not good for when I ride on the road.   any suggestions on how to save a buck on tires?

If it keeps going flat, the first thing that comes to my mind is to check your "rim strip" inside the wheel... sometimes bike companies like to skimp and use cheap strips, which will puncture a tube over and over again.

saving on tires... you can shop ebay if you know what you want and save a little money. I like Conti Gatorskins to train on, and either Conti 4000's or Pro3race's to race on. Some people have trouble with the pro3's though... I never have, but I've read a lot of people not being able to keep them from flatting...
Gatorskins are INDESTRUCTIBLE however.
2010-04-13 8:43 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
drphungky - 2010-04-13 12:38 PM Nice! Let us know how it goes. I haven't really looked into trainers yet, but am always keeping my eyes peeled for deals on Craigslist. Having the option to ride inside would be nice, but in my tiny apartment I don't know where'd I'd even store it.

I also would throw out the suggestion to keep your eyes open for rollers on craigslist. A LOT of people buy them and, after taking a spill off the side once or twice, decide that rollers are not for them and just sell them. It's easy to make your own "fork stand" which will let it mimic a regular trainer too... or you can just buy one from Kreitler.  My rollers slide under my bed... and I suppose my trainer would too if I ever folded it down so space shouldn't be too bad.
2010-04-13 8:49 PM

Southeastern NC
Hi Chris,

My name is Mike and would like to know if there is any room left in this group.

A little about me. I'm 41 and I have taken a challenge by a friend to get back in shape and do a sprint tri this summer. I was a mountain bike racer for about 12 years and trained with a road team to improve my off road racing. But, an addition to my family and increased travel with work ended my riding and racing about 7 years ago. During that time off the bike I was in and out of the gym and ended up putting on about 40 lbs.

I have just started researching different training programs and would like some advice and motivational help on how to proceed with training and my very first sprint tri.

The ride is not going to be a problem since I easily rode a couple of 15 mile road rides this past week with a 2 hour mountain bike ride in the woods thrown in. I am very comfortable in the water with over 24 years of surfing under my belt but know there is a big difference between paddling a board and swimming. What I am concerned with is the run. I have never been very comfortable running and really not sure how to run properly.

If there is some room available, I really look forward to participating with the rest of the group.
2010-04-13 8:54 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Welcome Mike! You are in!

I think we've got a good group here, I believe we're closed for business to the public! Cool

Thanks everybody in advance! I hope we can all learn a lot from each other, help each other through the "tough days," and be there to celebrate the accomplishments!

Edited by Leegoocrap 2010-04-13 8:57 PM

2010-04-13 10:40 PM

User image

yorba linda
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
I ordered my first bike and i am getting fitted on Friday, and i am jsut getting over being sick so i am excited to get out on the road Friday afternoon to get a few miles in.

Anyone here in the SoCal area?

Chris good luck on the MRI results, Im sure everything will come back A-OK
2010-04-14 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I have an extra bike trainer (Blackburn)  I bought one and then was given one by one of my employees.

Let me know

Kevin
2010-04-14 8:15 AM

Southeastern NC
Hey guys's,

I have been looking at the various programs and I am thinking about using the (20 week Olympic - 2x Balanced) program to train for an end of summer sprint. What do you think, is this too much too soon? 

I chose this program because on most of the others the biking is just way too short.
2010-04-14 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2790078

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
etadeja - 2010-04-13 9:40 PM I ordered my first bike and i am getting fitted on Friday, and i am jsut getting over being sick so i am excited to get out on the road Friday afternoon to get a few miles in.

Congrats on the new bike!  It's always exciting to get a new toy, have fun with it. 

Chris - Any word on the MRI results?

I finally have a rest day today and will actually be able to make it to my Yoga class for the first time in a month.  My muscles are going to be so glad!   
2010-04-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2790506

User image

Veteran
mross - 2010-04-14 9:15 AM Hey guys's,

I have been looking at the various programs and I am thinking about using the (20 week Olympic - 2x Balanced) program to train for an end of summer sprint. What do you think, is this too much too soon? 

I chose this program because on most of the others the biking is just way too short.

I had the same problem- that sprint training plan was not challenging enough. So I ended up signing up for an Oly in September! But if you're strictly sticking to sprints, I'd look for a plan elsewhere- I feel like there are plans you could use where the volume and intensity match the sprint distance. It doesn't make sense to me to train for an Oly with a lot of long, "easy" workouts if you're going to do a short, fast sprint. But I'm also a beginner, so maybe some more experience tri-ers can chime in.

2010-04-14 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
So my MRI came back fine... Doctor gave me some stronger anti-inflam's and gave me the A OK to continue racing and training! Woot Woot! Big relief off my mind
2010-04-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2790674

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
eca712 - 2010-04-14 10:01 AM
mross - 2010-04-14 9:15 AM Hey guys's,

I had the same problem- that sprint training plan was not challenging enough. So I ended up signing up for an Oly in September! But if you're strictly sticking to sprints, I'd look for a plan elsewhere- I feel like there are plans you could use where the volume and intensity match the sprint distance. It doesn't make sense to me to train for an Oly with a lot of long, "easy" workouts if you're going to do a short, fast sprint. But I'm also a beginner, so maybe some more experience tri-ers can chime in.

Really I don't consider training for a sprint much different than training for an IM. Obviously some of the "long" rides / runs / swims are going to be considerably shorter... still though, you should be doing plenty of tempo, endurance, and recovery work. If anything, I think when I was training specifically for shorter stuff, it was more intense than the long distance workouts.

I say that, yet I've got a 5x10'tempo/2'recovery bike workout tonight. How's that in IM training!?!?
2010-04-14 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2791743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-14 2:13 PM
So my MRI came back fine... Doctor gave me some stronger anti-inflam's and gave me the A OK to continue racing and training! Woot Woot! Big relief off my mind

Oh that is good goooood news! I'm so glad to hear it!!  
2010-04-14 6:55 PM

User image

Thanks for the tire info!  I'm eying these Gatorskins, they look sweet!!!!  Thankfully payday is tomorrow, so I can order a pair and get them in hopefully before my birthday at the end of this month.  I'd like to get them on my rims and test them out before then!

Oh and almost forgot, yay for good MRI results!  OT, you used to be into bb'ing right?  My bf had to give it up because he has a herniated disk in his back!  Too many deadlifts, I guess. :P  I love strength training, as you can probably guess from my training log so far.  It's such a fun part of training!

Edited by jessistriohmy 2010-04-14 7:38 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19