of 2

2010-06-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2921641

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Bilateral Breathing
greyg8r - 2010-06-14 9:22 PM
TriMyBest - 2010-06-14 5:18 PM Greyg8r, what connection does breathing bilaterally have to do with how hard you are going?
When I am going hard, I have to breathe every stroke and will run out of air if I try to go bilateral. Wait a second ... what is bilateral breathing? Is it: 1. Breathe on right, breathe on left, breathe on right, etc. This requires that you go 1.5 strokes between breaths. 2. The ability to go breathe on right or left so that you can breathe on every stroke? I thought it was number 1.

I think that most of us mean the ability to breath on either side when we refer to bilateral breathing, not necessarily a particulary breathing pattern.

2010-06-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2920678

User image

West Georgia
when I training I breathe every third stroke. I assume that I will most likely do this in a race because this is how I have  trained. There is so  much technique in swimming that it is difficult to keep everything where it should be. 

Kick, feet close together, not too hard,

elbow high, good strong pull

breath, turn, left right,

head down,

swim downhill

hips up,
.................................................................................... 
2010-06-15 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2921163

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
greyg8r - 2010-06-14 5:08 PM
sloclyde - 2010-06-14 3:49 PM
aquageek - 2010-06-14 4:44 PM Bi lateral breathing is completely unnecessary.  Phelps doesn't do it.  Breathe how you feel most comfortable as long as you have proper technique.  The obsession with learning blb will take away from more positive gains you can make via technique improvements.

What about when there are 2 foot breakers coming in from your right side for 80% of the swim? I think bl breathing is totally necessary for a triathlete.  Phelps...maybe not.
I agree wiith aquageek that you don't need bilateral breathing in a triathlon and, I believe, maybe wrongly, that if are able to go bilateral versus one side, that you are not going hard enough. But, being able to breathe on either side is a real plus. (I should follow my own advice).

Not going hard enough? Relative to what? I breathe when I need to based on effort. Most of my breathing is bilateral. I am comfortable going pretty hard and still breathing every third stroke, but when I am pushing the pace (and my heart rate) I breathe more often so that equates to single side every 2 strokes. For me it would be foolish to go so hard every time I swim that I'd have to breathe single side every 2. On a side note, I can also go easier/slower such that I can breathe single side every 4th stroke.
2010-06-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2921485

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
aquageek - 2010-06-14 4:57 PM

Maybe I should have said that you never need to bilateral breath but you should have the ability to breathe to either side, if needed in certain conditions.  However, I have yet to blb in any tri or OW race and I place #1 or #2 in my swims.   This is where triathletes come off the rail, a focus on some technique they think they need.  That's fine if you want to focus on blb, but you will do so at the expense of your kick, your walls, your head position, your straight line, etc. 

Oh, and ditch the toys (pull buoy/fins/paddles), another cardinal sin of the tri swimmer.  Those are devices used by expert swimmers to supplement, not a crutch.

What is up with that slam on Tri Swimmers...lol. So only "expert" swimmers can use training aids? As if we as Tri Swimmers are mentally challenged and we can't understand how to properly use a training device...?? There are a ton of folks out there who have no idea how to use fins/paddles/buoys etc., but it has nothing to do with being a triathlete and more to do with just being ignorant in general.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bilateral Breathing Rss Feed  

of 2