BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - OPEN
Heather,

IMO its not too early for a HIM (or a full IM for that matter, now that I re-read what you said). You've got the experience from plenty of other races, now its just adding the distance. I did IMLP in my first season. I had been biking for 11 months, swimming for 10 months and running for 7 months (broken ankle). A lot of it is a mental thing. I have a few examples of that which I won't get into now, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW, what race (punishment) is your pic from? I did the Spartan Race in Vermont. I'm assuming its from one of those or the Warrior Dash.

Edited by zee744 2010-12-23 10:25 AM

2010-12-23 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3259130

User image

Expert
PA
zee744 - 2010-12-23 11:22 AM Heather,

IMO its not too early for a HIM. You've got the experience from various other races, now its just adding the distance. I did IMLP in my first season. I had been biking for 11 months, swimming for 10 months and running for 7 months (broken ankle). A lot of it is a mental thing. I have a few examples of that which I won't get into now, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW, what race (punishment) is your pic from? I did the Spartan Race in Vermont. I'm assuming its from one of those or the Warrior Dash.

you did IMLP eh?  i need to talk with you!  that race is in my crosshairs for the 2012 season and will be looking for some pointers. 
2010-12-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3259134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
wabash - 2010-12-23 11:25 AM

IMO its not too early for a HIM. You've got the experience from various other races, now its just adding the distance. I did IMLP in my first season. I had been biking for 11 months, swimming for 10 months and running for 7 months (broken ankle). A lot of it is a mental thing. I have a few examples of that which I won't get into now, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

you did IMLP eh?  i need to talk with you!  that race is in my crosshairs for the 2012 season and will be looking for some pointers. 

IMLP is my home course! My hometown is 45min from LP and my dad has a condo right in town. The condo make it soooooo easy for race weekend. I live about 2 hours away now, but still know the original course (they changed it due to bridge construction this year) like the back of my hand. I'm always open to answering questions and training rides. I should be there in 2012 as well as long as I don't die trying to hit 11hrs this year LOL
2010-12-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3259130

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach

IMO its not too early for a HIM (or a full IM for that matter, now that I re-read what you said). You've got the experience from plenty of other races, now its just adding the distance. I did IMLP in my first season. I had been biking for 11 months, swimming for 10 months and running for 7 months (broken ankle). A lot of it is a mental thing. I have a few examples of that which I won't get into now, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you!   It really makes me feel more confident in my decision to hear other people have done it!  I was at IMLP in 2009, my sister raced. That was the deal breaker for me standing at that finish line at midnight, I thought "I HAVE to do this one day!".    The mental part doesn't worry me, because I freaking love this stuff.  I'm a glutton for pain and long runs, haha. 

I guess I'm just more nervous about the time commitment away from my family.  But I keep thinking, my boys are so young, and in a few years they are going to have an agenda full of things of their own (sports, school, etc) so it might actually be HARDER for me when they get older! 

The pic is from the Warrior Dash in GA.  It was the picture seconds before the epic fall that tore my ankle up, I was out for 6 weeks! ha! But it was so much fun (before the fall) I would totally do it again!

Edited by RunFasterMommy 2010-12-23 10:36 AM
2010-12-23 10:41 AM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Hello!

I would love to join this group if there is still room.  I'm 38, married and a mom of two boys.  This is my second tri season and I'm signed up for IMCDA!  I'm a former competitive swimmer with a bit of running experience too.  The bike leg is where I need the most work.

I'll post a more complete bio soon.  I'm looking forward to training with all of you!
2010-12-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3259151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-23 11:35 AM

Thank you!   It really makes me feel more confident in my decision to hear other people have done it!  I was at IMLP in 2009, my sister raced. That was the deal breaker for me standing at that finish line at midnight, I thought "I HAVE to do this one day!".    The mental part doesn't worry me, because I freaking love this stuff.  I'm a glutton for pain and long runs, haha. 

I guess I'm just more nervous about the time commitment away from my family.  But I keep thinking, my boys are so young, and in a few years they are going to have an agenda full of things of their own (sports, school, etc) so it might actually be HARDER for me when they get older! 

The pic is from the Warrior Dash in GA.  It was the picture seconds before the epic fall that tore my ankle up, I was out for 6 weeks! ha! But it was so much fun (before the fall) I would totally do it again!

IMLP is awesome!! Granted I'm a little biased, but it is the original IM USA! Do it if you get the chance.

I was very happy with my 2009 results, but know I can do better. I had some foot pain on the run that delayed me at least 45min and my training wasn't exactly perfect, but I finished and beat my goal by almost 30min. This year though, I'm setting crazy goals and running...literally!!

I loved the Spartan Race, its just like the Warrior Dash. It was a lot of fun. Feel your pain with ankle injuries. I was on crutches for 3 months and couldn't run without pain for almost 8 until 11/08. Results of that are in my photo album.

2010-12-23 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
PA

all that i currently know about Lake Placid is that it is a great place to ski.  i love Whiteface.

2010-12-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3259198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
wabash - 2010-12-23 11:55 AM

all that i currently know about Lake Placid is that it is a great place to ski.  i love Whiteface.

As hard as it is to believe, I'm not a skier. I do love the riding in placid and there's a lot I can tell you about it. My dad has been riding there for 5 years, so I pester him with all my questions.
2010-12-23 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Do you have room for 1 moreSmile?  I'll post a bio shortly (have to get some laundry started first).
2010-12-23 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
PA
McFuzz - 2010-12-21 12:33 PM

I'm McFuzz (Mike). 

Who am I?  I'm a lot of things.  Professionally, I'm an engineer (Electrical).  I'm a 46-year-old family man (details to follow).  I'm a Boy Scout leader and spend a lot of time outdoors with kids.  I was active in high-school, running track and cross-country and worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor, but never swam competitively (to be honest...

Mike,
you had me at "Boy Scout leader"!   i am quite fond of scouting and i cant wait until my son is old enough to join.  i will wait till he is old enough to join a troop and then i will hope to be an assistant of some sort.  Scouting was so fun for me.  i learned a ton, went to awesome places i normally wouldnt have been able to go to, and met lots of great people.  shortly after i earned my Eagle scout in '94, i quit scouting, got a job and a girlfriend, and the rest is history.  but i absolutely cant wait to get back in to it again!

2010-12-23 11:37 AM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Wow! I join the group last night as the first person then come back today full of new tri friends.  Looks like I am the only one on the group who has not done a triathlon so should be interesting.

2010-12-23 12:03 PM

Hello Everyone!  If possible, I would like to join the group as well.

Name:  CJ

Background:  I will celebrate my 29th birthday in February.  I am recently married (this past August) to my best friend Laura.  I am an elementary building principal, and our winter break has just started.  I was a Division III track and field athlete in college.  I began as a sprinter, and quickly developed the body of a thrower.  I was very successful in college, and even as a post-collegiate athlete.  I really did not start running until last year at this time on a bet with my then fiance on who could lose the most weight before our wedding.   I won, but also had more weight to spare.  I weighed about 300lbs. at 6'.  I currently weigh around 265lbs.  

Experience:  I have no triathlon experience at all.  I have not rode a bike in about fifteen years.  My wife was an All-American swimmer in college, so I have been in the pool with her attempting to swim laps!  I currently run about 3x a week and go to spinning classes at our local gym 4x per week at 5 a.m.  I was an elite powerlifter and thrower after college, and that is one of the real reasons why I want to get into better shape.  I want to trade in that body for the body of a more athletic and healthy looking person.

Goals:  My 2011 season goals are as follows...

1) Complete an Intermediate Triathlon in August
2) Run a 5k race in under 27minutes-I have a couple local ones planned for April and June
3) Get my bodyweight to under 245lbs. by the Triathlon in August 

I have access to university pool across the street from my home.  I am a member of a gym, but unfortunately Western New York weather permits safe bike riding during the winter months.

I am motivated, and I know by joining this group I will have a greater chance of reaching my goals!
2010-12-23 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Personal:  Janet, 46 yo, married 20 years, 2 kids (20yo son, 16yo daughter).

Background:  Up until about 4 years ago, I was not active at all. I’ve always been fairly healthy, but not fit. I spent a lot of time going to the kids’ sporting activities, but never did much of my own. I decided it was time to start doing something for me. I didn’t know a lot about triathlon at the time, but what I did know intrigued me. So I volunteered at a local sprint to see what it was about and if I would be out of place trying one myself. I was impressed by the number of “average joes” who were competing. I even saw someone that I knew from high school, and she was not an athlete. I figured if they could do it, I should be able to at least finish with the right training.  I knew how to ride a bike and could swim well enough to keep from drowning, but could not run more than 100ft without feeling like I was going to die. So I started with that. I became a decent (if slow) runner so 2 years ago I started to focus more on the biking and swimming. I did my first sprint triathlon in May of 2009 and loved it! I finished BOP but I finished! 

Current training:  My focus right now has been on running. I’m training for the Little Rock half marathon in March so the biking and swimming have been kind of put on the back burner. I still do them when I have time, but it doesn’t happen often enough.  Most of my bike training has been on a stationary bike at the gym which I know isn’t ideal, but I don’t have a trainer so I figure it’s better than nothing. 

2010 races:  Half marathon in April 2010, a sprint triathlon in May 2010 (my first OWS), various other 5k’s and 10k’s.  I was scheduled for my first Olympic distance tri in Sept 2010 but had to back out due to a bike crash during training. 

2011 races:  Half marathon in March 2011, hoping to do sprint triathlons in the spring and fall (haven’t decided which ones yet) and some 5k’s and 10k’s. Possibly another half marathon in the fall.

What I’m hoping to get from this group:  I have a hard time motivating myself, especially when it comes to bike and swim training. I’m still not really comfortable riding my bike on the roads so I tend to put if off/skip it more often than I should. My swimming is OK, but lap time is limited at my gym (they have adult lap swimming times during the middle of the day when most everyone is at work) so that gets skipped more often than it should. I’m hoping you all will give me a kick in the butt when I slack off and I’d be happy to do the same for you!

2010-12-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3259337

User image

Expert
PA
soccermom15 - 2010-12-23 1:07 PM

What I’m hoping to get from this group:  I have a hard time motivating myself, especially when it comes to bike and swim training. I’m still not really comfortable riding my bike on the roads so I tend to put if off/skip it more often than I should. My swimming is OK, but lap time is limited at my gym (they have adult lap swimming times during the middle of the day when most everyone is at work) so that gets skipped more often than it should. I’m hoping you all will give me a kick in the butt when I slack off and I’d be happy to do the same for you!

do you happen to own a bike trainer by chance???  although not as much fun as the road, it's a great way to train when you can't get outside.
2010-12-23 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
One more?
2010-12-23 12:40 PM

User image

CA
Do you have room for one more?

2010-12-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3259349

User image

Expert
Missouri
wabash - 2010-12-23 12:17 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-12-23 1:07 PM

do you happen to own a bike trainer by chance???  although not as much fun as the road, it's a great way to train when you can't get outside.

No trainer unfortunately and no funds to get one right now.  It's the stationary bike at the gym for me for now and I'll try to get outside as much as I can once spring gets here (I just might need a little shove every now and thenSmile).  I know I'm going to have to get used to riding on the roads sooner or later. 
2010-12-23 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Well, so far it looks like everyone is WAY ahead of me! I'm a true beginner. I started running in June. I've done 3 5ks. One was a trail run, which was fun. I'm signed up for another 5k in January the day before my husband runs the ING Miami Marathon. A 10k (my first) a couple weeks after that. Another 5k and then my A1A Half Marathon Feb 20th. I also signed up for the Nautica South Beach Triathlon April 10th. MY FIRST I can bike and have a bike. I can swim but haven't really done laps in 10 years. There is a pool at my building...I plan on getting into it this afternoon. I KNOW NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS..but it's chilly in Miami in the morning. 55-58 degrees!

I'm 46 y/o, not fit, need to lose @ 20lbs. No kids, no pets and I walk 2 blocks to work, so no commute. I just need a little inspiration. I joined a triathlon team here in Miami and met them all last night. They are all very fit and serious, but they seem to be very nice. ::gulp::

This is all new to me. Be patient, please! I need to get to the gym, I need to get in the pool. I just got running shoes that actually fit, so maybe things will stop hurting. I have been running 3x a week and this week I up it to 4. I am running 8 miles on Sunday as part of my half-marathon training plan.

I could rattle on for hours. I'll stop now.  
2010-12-23 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3259284

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
n3dinc - 2010-12-23 11:37 AM Wow! I join the group last night as the first person then come back today full of new tri friends.  Looks like I am the only one on the group who has not done a triathlon so should be interesting.

I have never done anything .... so you won't be alone
2010-12-23 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

Name - Gmrgirl (Angi)

Background - 40 married for 11 years with 3 boys 22, 20 and 13.  Scout leader, Computer gamer, and book worm.  Nature lover.  Also smoke approximately a pack per day.

Reasons for running - Hit a mid life crisis (yes women have them too) after going on a hike with the Boys Scouts and having a very hard time keeping up about a year ago.  Saw 40 looming and decided I didn't much like who I had become.  Started hiking on a weekly basis with McFuzz and slowly started adding running in.  I absolutely love being outdoors and the feeling of freedom that running gives you.  I'm loosely following the aggressive C25K.  (I have no patience so am constantly changing it)

Former experience: Absolutely none.  Started running in November but I'm up to one mile without walking

2011 Goals:  Finish a 5K in March
Finish a 5K with no walking.
Lose 13 pounds (ideally 18 pounds)
Cut smoking down to 1/2 (ideally completely quit)
Get started with Bike training

I have no goals at this time to complete a larger race.  Just want to consistantly train and improve my overall health, fitness and outlook on life.

Edited by GmrGirl 2010-12-23 1:59 PM
2010-12-23 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Hey there I would like to join the group!

My name is Shawn and I'am a 14 year veteran of Law Enforcement.  I 'am Married and I have two kids (14 and 9).

This will be my second year for tri's.  I completed in two sprints last year and would like to take on 2 OLY's and HIM this year.

I started tri's to keep me motivated to loose weight.  I started a healthier lifestyle in the fall of 2009.  To date I have lost approx. 55 pounds  and have reached my goal weight (190lbs).

My real goal for 2011 is to compete in a HIM and to stay healthy.

2010-12-23 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
Wow!! 

I'm going to close this group with an astrisk.  I've had at least 2 or 3 people ask me to mentor them before the mentor program started, so they'll be included. 

Ree
Ingleshteechur

will be included even though they haven't posted. 

There may be some additional help from a few BT friends,  Maria40nc and Discipleguideservice, I can't do complete justice to your introductions, but here's a start. 

Maria40nc (Maria) has packed a lot of racing into less than 2 seasons.  She'll be attempting her first Ironman (IMFL) in 2011.  Very friendly, very charming, and a great attitude.  I expect Maria to be part protege and part mentor. 

Discipleguideservice (Josh) was a protege this year (2010) and did IMKY.  He recruited his wife, Ree (Maria), to BT and has inspired her to make a change or two in her own life. 

Edited by McFuzz 2010-12-23 2:13 PM
2010-12-23 2:07 PM

User image

New user
USA
Hello, to all of you beautiful people. I hope you want get this party started without me. 
I try never to confuse what I do with who I am but for introductions sake I will combine the two.
First, I would be delighted if you call me Buff, I have been blessed to hang around this planet for almost 50 years.

I have been married to a brillant  piece of humanity for the past 31 years. He is my Knight in tranished armour, translated he is as flawed as I am so we make the perfect couple.

We produced a few offspring and  are now labeled grandparents.  In my past life I was a solider...US Army style...Hooah. 9 years ago, I quit smoking, lost my mind,  and ate my way to almost 200 pounds.  It took me a few years to climb on the health bandwagon but by 2006 I was determined to lose the weight ( it took me a almost a year)  and adopt a healthy lifestyle.

Today I am a business woman/certified personal trainer and all around great gal Smile

In  2010 I became a figure competitor  who just happen to run a breezy 5k and a mountainous half marathon.

I am ready to start 2011 at WDW running in my second half.  Then I will switch the scenery and  trek it across the desert in my first Marathon. Surprised

So what in the heck am I doing here? because somewhere deep inside is a triathlete waiting to be unleashed.

So before the end of 2012 I hope I will be able to swim run and cycle my way across the finish line.

Here is your  chance to help a poor little old granny lady defy the odds and become a better verision of herself. Here is my chance to cheer all of you on towards victory. I enjoy being in a room of champions.

Stay focused on the vision people, you can make your dreams a reality. Smile
2010-12-23 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Room for one?
  They call me the Iceman.  I was 400 pounds in 2005 at age 54.  Started riding a hybrid.  Lost weight, got a road bike, kept riding.  Beat cancer in 2006.     I rode 17 miles the morning of my surgery.
  Started doing the bike portion of tris for LiveSTRONG in 2007.  Liked the people.  Weight loss slowed as my body became more efficient at one sport.   Started running and took up swimming after a 40 year absence since high school.  Did my first sprint, oly and a hybrid distance longer than an oly in 2009.  Did a spring, oly and half IM in 2010.  Nursing an IT band toward the end of the year.  Just ramping up again now. 
  I am a member off Vision Quest Coaching.  They are primarily bike oriented.  But my coach works all three sports into my routine. I get swimming help form the Masters.  Running help from the local run club.  Triathlon club has awesome people, too.
   I thrive on positive attitude.  Attitude is everything, according to Armstrong.  He is right.
   2011:  Ironman Wisconsin.  Why?  I want a tattoo.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-23 8:41 PM
2010-12-23 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
By the way, I am good about using the training log when I am in an active group...mine is far behind at the moment because the group stopped posting and I was hurt so I was only doing about 10 hours a week.   Starting to use it again today.  I also post to LiveSTRONG.com and Training Peaks. 

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-23 2:34 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106