BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-12-23 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3256949

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-23 6:44 AM

2010-12-23 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3258667

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -OPEN!
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-23 6:54 AM
jsiegs - 2010-12-22 9:56 PM Hey Fred, I'd love to join your group.

NAME: Joe

STORY: I'm a NH native who came to Baltimore for college and I've stuck around since.  I'll be 27 on Jan 2 and starting my third full year of triathlons, and the second where I'm training with any purpose.  I started out just winging it, did alright for myself, but wanted more.  I picked up the volume, but had no idea what I was doing (and wanted to know how some of those guys were so much faster than me).  Eventually, found a coach for a couple months to end last season, had a GREAT last race, found BT, ditched the coach and have immersed myself in training plans, philosophy, details, etc.  I'm actually still friends with the coach (he works on the same Army post as I do), and he's gotten me more involved and been a real life mentor for me.  He just convinced me to run for the Executive Board of our local tri club, so I'm gonna give that a shot (though I feel a little unqualified).  I love the scientific approach (I'm a ChemE by trade).  Mass and energy balances - what goes in equals what comes out...it's science!  My recent "last thing I'll buy for myself without having to ask permission" present to myself was a Power Tap powermeter, which I'm learning more about everyday as I use it and read about it.

FAMILY STATUS: Proposed to my amazing gf last July, getting married August 20, 2011.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm trying to build my run now - starting with 150 miles in sept and shooting for 170 in December, then hang on.  Missed a lot of time on the bike because of work travel, but I'm following Jorge's winter plan.  Swimming...what swimming?  I hope to pick it up with some regularity to start 2011.

THIS YEAR's RACES: My results from 2010 were as follows: I had a 2:14:xx and 2:12:xx Olys at Blackbear and NorthEast, 1:40:xx Oly-ish race at Paris Mountain, a 1:04:xx sprint (good for second OA) and a 5:03 at Rhode Island 70.3.

2011 RACES: I am signed up for Columbia Olympic May 2011, Eagleman 70.3 June 2011.  I'm hoping to add an early season Olympic, a July/Aug Olympic and if I can manage a sprint in June (one I've done 3 times so far, so it's a cool race for me).

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I am currently 6'1" and weigh 165 lbs. I've been down to under 150 two years ago, but raced last season about 155, which I think is ideal...hopefully I get back dow there.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: My "A" race is Eagleman, so targeting that HIM distance.  Last year my biggest goal was sub 5 hours at Rhode Island...probably pushed too hard on the bike and fell apart on the run.  It was tough conditions (lots of people thought much tougher than the years before), but I'm still out for revenge at that distance.  I'm pretty active on BT, log everything, like to talk tri to anyone who will listen.  I'm always looking an edge and love to hear what people more experience than me know.  I think I've learned a lot too, and could help others in the group as well.  I'm VERY competitive, probably to a fault, and sometimes that comes out unintentionally, so it's be great if there are others like me, but I try to keep it in check when there aren't.

THis isn't meant to be a "brown nosing" comment, but I've read a lot of what you say in the forums and have always found your advice very helpful, encouraging, and most of all polite and respectful (something that some people here seem to have issues with).  Because of that I would love to join your mentor group this winter.

Joe, glad to have you!

Are you still in the Army? Either way, thanks for serving!

Wow, 2:12 at Blackbear is awesome! That is a tough bike course so even more impressive.
BT can be a great site, but there can be A LOT of noise from angry and unhappy people, so I stay away from the main forums moreso than I used to. The main advantage of a mentor group is that we can train for similar goals, have open discussions and help each other WITHOUT that noise. The mentor groups are a great experience IMHO.

I am also racing Columbia and Eagleman this year. It will be my 4th time for each race. We will talk lots about Eagleman I'm sure. Also Powertap is great. I am training with power using a computrainer and will be receiving a Quarq powermeter in January. I will be learning through my coach quite a bit about this topic and hopefully sharing the info as best I can.

Welcome
Thanks Fred. I gotta clear up two things first: I'm a civilian working for the Army, came to it straight out of college so no service for me. Also my 2:12 something ( closer to 2:13 IIRC) was at northeast. I was 2:14 something at blackbear (I'm posting from my phone so I don't want to look it up or I may lose what I've written). I'm also a Michigan fan...given your old screen name, is that gonna be a issue?
2010-12-23 7:53 AM

Expert
PA
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!
bummer!  this sounds like a cool idea that i didnt even know anything about, prior to seeing this!  I'd have definitely signed up for this FG if i would have come across it sooner!
Fred, great job at Savageman this year!  your speed is enviable......
2010-12-23 7:56 AM

Master
Highlands Ranch
NAME: Steve Maas

STORY: This is my 5th year of triathlon as well. The brief  history is:
* Competitive swimmer in High School and before, followed by 2 decades of relative inactivity and dietary indulgence
* 2007 - Signed up for a local sprint after running the 1st mile of my life 2 months prior.  I'd been working out to lose the  weight gained in the 1st bullet and grew tired of working only against the number on the scale
* Fast Forward to 2010: Completed my 1st 70.3 in Boulder, along with 3 other tri's. It was a great experience, but the run was a low point, and left me knowing I could do better.  In October I ran the RocknRoll Denver HM just to prove the point to myself.
* Also in 2010, I will have swum ~125 miles, biked ~2,000, and ran over 500; if you'd told me I'd achieve the last a few years back, I would have laughed uncontrollably at the idea

FAMILY STATUS: Married. 3 boys ages 9, 11, 14.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train about 5-8 hours/weekly during the dark days; a little more in spring and summer . I know I always need to do more long rides and long runs.  I struggle mentally to enjoy running, and am a self-declared non-runner.

THIS YEAR's RACES: Boulder 70.3 I finished in 6:23.  

2011 RACES: Boulder 70.3 (and few shorter tri's, along with several run events and possibly including Escape From Alcatraz - got a lottery spot)

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I am currently 5'11"ish and weigh ~210 lbs. I aim to be closer to 185-190 lbs in race season...I've had this aim for the past few years, I'm just  more solid than soft now. My weight is pretty steady, but over the holidays I gain a bit as well.

2011 GOALS: To finish each leg of every race better than last year, and finish Boulder 70.3 comfortably under 6 hours
2010-12-23 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3258676

Master
South Alabama

slornow - 2010-12-23 6:04 AM

Good morning-I would love to join the group if there is room left. Will add more details later today but here are the basics.

Screen name: Slornow-real name Randy Location: I live in Fairhope, Alabama and work in Mobile Alabama.  Fairhope is beautiful town located on the east side of Mobile Bay about 20 minutes from Mobile, 45 minutes from Pensacola Florida and 45 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico.   

I'm 48, married for 20 years with a son 17 and daughter 16. This will be my 3rd season doing triathlons.  Did my first HIM in November and plan for 2011 is to do a Spring and Fall HIM with some sprints/olympic distance events during the Summer.

More later-looking forward to the group.

Randy 

I will try to fill in all of the blanks

Screen Name: Slornow as in "slower now than I used to be" Real name-Randy

Personal info: I am 48, married for 20 years with a son 17 who is a high school junior and daughter 16 that's a hs sophmore.  I live in Fairhope, Alabama which is in South Alabama.  I've lived here for 22 years but grew up in Hampton Virginia and went to college at James Madison University.  I'm a lawyer in a 2 man firm and have a good bit of flexibility in scheduling for races and attending my children's activities.

Sports background:  Pretty much played all of the usual sports growing up.  Got pretty serious about tennis and played competitively as a junior and for a couple of years in college. Since then worked out regularly doing weights, running off and on and some tennis here and there.  Got a little more focused on running 3-4 years ago but seemed to always have a nagging injury so 2 years ago read an article about triathlons and decided to give it a shot-never knew how hard it was to swim further than 25 yards!

Triathlon-in my first season (2009) I did 2-3 sprints and an olympic distance and was hooked.  Not a podium contender but typically in the top 20-25% of my AG.

Current training-I really enjoy training (swimming not so much) and will finish 2010 with about 450-460 hours (9 hours a week). Not too bad considering I missed 2-3 months of consistent running and biking. When healthy and training consistently I usually avg 10-12 hours a week.  Had an online coach for most of 2010 and it helped but not continuing with him in 2011 as I am pretty self motivated.  Have been looking at the Endurance Nation Plans and may follow one of those heading into the season.  I like to have a plan/structure as it keeps the workouts focused on specific goals. 

2010-injured my hamstring in a 1/10 half marathon and basically did nothing but swim until May 2010-yeah that sucked! Did Chattanooga Olympic in July, Hammerhead Olympic (Jacksonville, FL) in August, USAT Age Group Nationals Olympic (Tuscaloosa Alabama) in Sept.and Iron Star HIM (Conroe Texas) in Nov.  Really enjoyed the HIM distance and had a pretty solid race for a first HIM with a 5:27 finish-although my T1 was really sad.

2011-right now I have a bit of a nagging hamstring and calf issue so my Spring schedule is still a bit up in the air. Still training but have cut back a good bit hoping the aches and pains will go away. Possibly New Orleans HIM in April or another HIM a lttle later if the hamstring keeps acting up.  A local race or 2 and Chattanooga again in July.  Will see after that but would like to do a second 2011 HIM in the Fall-maybe Augusta or possibly Iron Star again.   

2011 goals-get/stay healthy. A sub 5:15 HIM; sub 2:25 at Chattanooga with stretch goal of top 10 AG. 

What will make me a good group member??-I love reading race reports and really like hearing people's "story" about their triathlon experiences.  I am by no means an expert but will offer advice when I can and seek it frequently.  I log all of my training here on BT and visit the site several times through out the day to log training and see what is going on.    I look forward to reading up on everyone and learning from the experience.

Randy    

2010-12-23 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3258709

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-23 7:44 AM
1. I think we should start by discussing some bike basics. Tribike, road bike. Cranks, cassettes etc.

I'm having a crisis of hydration (ok, not really, just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do).  Sprint/Oly should be fine, but wondering about HIM distance.  I'm giving up my Speedfil and behind the seat hydration for aero reasons.  Or at least I was, then I saw a bunch of pros in Kona with them on TV.  I had come to understand they were the aero "devil".  Had some Channukkah $$ to spend, so I got an aero bottle to replace the speedfil, which I think is a good aero choice.  For a hot Oly or Eagleman, I'd want another too.  I have an old PD aero drink thingy I got on craigslist awhile ago but never used.  I could also do a regular bottle mounted "torpedo" style up front on the bars.  What do you think the best option, aero-wise is?  I'm not overly concerned with ease (I tend to drink too much if it's easily accessible), but want space up there to monitor my power on my Garmin.  Anyone have any advice who's done the distance on how many bottle are necessary, or which up front system works better?  The torpedo mount is the only one I'd probably have issues refilling on the go.
2010-12-23 8:58 AM

2010-12-23 9:03 AM

2010-12-23 10:44 AM

Elite
Ontario
All, I'm a bit late to the party, but Fred has let me join the group - for which I'm very thankful.  Tried to get into his group last go round and missed out.  Here's my basic info:

NAME: GoFaster / Neil

STORY: This will be my fourth year of Triathlon, and I've gone from BOP to MOP, looking to figure out how to find myself FOP.  I started out with no background in any of the 3 sports, and quickly discovered that swimming and I don't see eye to eye, the bike I'm okay, but the run usually saves my bacon.

I did the Muskoka 1/2 in 2009, and injured my ITB during the race, which sort of shelved a lot of 2010 for me as I never got myself recovered.  I'd like to go back to Muskoka this year with a goal of racing faster in every discipline.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married, great wife, two crazy kids. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
Apart from the current Xmas period, I've been training 6-7 days a week for the past few months.  Working on the swim A LOT, with swimming 4 days a week - but my distances are limited since I need to fit these in over lunch hours.  I'm also following Jorge's cycling program, with the goal of getting my watts/kg up around the 3.8 mark by September.  Come January I plan to start following the FIRST 18 week 1/2 marathon plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010):
Three Sprints, that was it.  Just couldn't get any run volume in cause of the ITB.

2011 RACES:  1/2 Marathon in May, 3-4 Sprints (maybe an Olympic) June - August, and then 1/2 HIM in September.  Went 5:56 the first time out, and am currently silly enough to think I would like to aim to go 5:15 - 5:30. 

WEIGHTLOSS:
Non issue for me.  I'm 6' at 153lbs, if anything I wouldn't mind adding a couple of pounds and have been thinking about lifting a couple of times per week to strengthen different areas to help with the ITB. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: 
Going into my 4th year I'm no longer "new" at this.  I think I'm able to contribute to the group while also learning from the mentor and other members.
2010-12-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3258709

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Fred - 1. I think we should start by discussing some bike basics. Tribike, road bike. Cranks, cassettes etc

I have a question about road/tri bikes for long distance races.  I started on a tri bike and did all my training/racing for 2010 on it.  I got a road bike about a month ago.  It's so much more comfortable to ride, I considered using it for Superfrog.  Other than losing some time due to being in a less aerodynamic position, what other possible disadvantages are there to using a road bike?  Any group members opinions are welcome, thanks!

2010-12-23 12:51 PM

2010-12-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3259273

2010-12-23 1:09 PM

Master
One more to add to the group. I'm looking forward to being part of a mentor group focused on HIM and IM distance.

NAME: Rene

STORY: My background is in cycling. In 2007, I learned how to swim and entered my first triathlon. I'm still a very frustrated BOP swimmer. The good news is that I enjoy swimming. I quickly moved from sprint to longer distances. On a whim a few years ago, I entered the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon and was chosen in the lottery. Jumping off of the boat and swimming (slowly) to Marina Green was a great experience. After Alcatraz, I signed up for my first HIM in the fall of 2008. In 2009, I completed IMFL. IMFL was a wonderful experience. The goals of the first IM was to finish. In 2010 the goal was to drop my finishing time at IMFL. In April 2010, I hired a new coach and started training with power. Besides a few injuries/and a bike wreck things were looking pretty good for IMFL. Then 9 days before IMFL, I broke my toe and ended up having surgery. When the toe was broken we decided it was best to DNS the race instead of suffering through the run. In November, I went from training 20 hours a week to being in a wheel chair at work. As elementary PE teacher it was easier and faster to get around the gym in the wheel chair.
Six weeks later things are finally staring to feel like normal again from a training standpoint. Right now I'm up to running 30 minutes for my long run. Woo Hoo! I have several races in 2011 that seem like they're coming up quickly.

FAMILY: Married for 24 years. 2 "kids" 17 and 19.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm 6 weeks post op from surgery. Training and fitness is starting to come back slowly. Or slower than I would like.

2010 RACES: A few sprints, duathlons, Patriot HIM. 9 days before IMFL I broke my toe and had to DNS the race.

2011 RACES: Lonestar HIM, IMTX, and a few sprints/duathlons thrown in as the schedule permits. I'm signed up for Austin 3M half marathon on 1/30. We're waiting to see how the running comes along before committing to the race.

WEIGHT LOSS: Every year I say I need to lean out and eat clean. So far it hasn't happened. This is probably the area that I struggle with the most. I'm normally so tired from work and training that making good choices isn't a top priority.

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD MENTEE:
I'm always open to suggestions and constructive feedback.

2010-12-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3259396

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-23 10:54 AM
I have a question for you? Were you professionally fit on the bike? If the fit is done well then a road bike and a tri bike should BOTH be very comfortable.

Either way, nothing wrong with using a road bike in an IM or HIM.

I have to run (bringing girls to 'Tangled'). Will chat later

Yes, I was fit on both bikes, by the same person.  'Comfortable' may have not been the proper choice of wording, I was just referring to the overall riding experience on the roadie compared to the TT bike. 
2010-12-23 1:20 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
NAME: Eric / ewoolf44

STORY: I am a 23 year old Arizona native. My athletic background consists of about 16 years of football from kindergarten to college. That means I have zero endurance experience. About 6 months ago I became interested in triathlon as a way to fulfill my desire to compete again and find a new way to push my body to its limits. I enjoy the structure of training and look forward to growing as a student of the sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Single and no little ones.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently following a BT 16 week Olympic training plan. My biggest focus right now is improving my swim technique.

THIS YEAR’S RACES: Anthem Holiday Classic Sprint (Dec 2010)

2011 RACES: JCC Sprint (Feb 2011), Marquee Oly (Apr 2011), Soma HIM (Oct 2011). These are the races I’m registered for but I am still in the process of planning my race schedule for next season. I could definitely use some advice on this.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: None specifically. Currently in decent shape at 180.

WHY I AM A GOOD MENTEE: I am a good mentee because I understand the value of receiving advice from others and I enjoy working towards a common goal with a group as opposed to going it alone.

2010-12-23 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3259426

Master
Baltimore
shmeeg - 2010-12-23 2:10 PM
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-23 10:54 AM
I have a question for you? Were you professionally fit on the bike? If the fit is done well then a road bike and a tri bike should BOTH be very comfortable.

Either way, nothing wrong with using a road bike in an IM or HIM.

I have to run (bringing girls to 'Tangled'). Will chat later

Yes, I was fit on both bikes, by the same person.  'Comfortable' may have not been the proper choice of wording, I was just referring to the overall riding experience on the roadie compared to the TT bike. 

What's "superfrog" you mentioned?  I think almost everyone, when properly fit, is more comfortable on a road bike than a tri bike (I am).  Dave Luscan (sp?) had a good post about tri fit and "comfort".  He said it's more your ability to withstand the position for the length of the race than comfort.  It's hard as heck for me to stay aero in training, but I force myself to to get used to it.  Races are a different story as I'm so focused I forget about comfort and it's not really an issue for me.  It's not a position that will make me stiff or sore or hurt mind you, just not how I'd choose to ride if I wasn't being timed.  Sorry for the rambling, but yeah, my roadie position isn't really set up for racing, since I don't do that on it, so it's comfortable to me (I actually fit myself on the road bike, so take that for what you will.  My tri bike was a pro fit).  Also, the set up of the road bike with brakes, shifting, handling (because of the geometry differences) will be better.
2010-12-23 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3259451

HI FRED! So much action on here already! Thank you so much for letting me join your group (Like tank boy have been watching this closely)

Will read other bios to see what to say and then post mine. THANKS!!!!! Kate
2010-12-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3259451

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jsiegs - 2010-12-23 11:23 AM What's "superfrog" you mentioned?  I think almost everyone, when properly fit, is more comfortable on a road bike than a tri bike (I am).  Dave Luscan (sp?) had a good post about tri fit and "comfort".  He said it's more your ability to withstand the position for the length of the race than comfort.  It's hard as heck for me to stay aero in training, but I force myself to to get used to it.  Races are a different story as I'm so focused I forget about comfort and it's not really an issue for me.  It's not a position that will make me stiff or sore or hurt mind you, just not how I'd choose to ride if I wasn't being timed.  Sorry for the rambling, but yeah, my roadie position isn't really set up for racing, since I don't do that on it, so it's comfortable to me (I actually fit myself on the road bike, so take that for what you will.  My tri bike was a pro fit).  Also, the set up of the road bike with brakes, shifting, handling (because of the geometry differences) will be better.

Superfrog is the HIM I will be doing in 2011.  Oside 70.3 is too early for me (and sold out already I think?), but I am going to try and get a volunteer spot for it and maybe race it in 2012 if I don't have to deploy.  I am having a hard time relaxing on the roadie, I tend to lock out my elbows and tense up my shoulders because I'm just used to laying down in the aero bars.  I also had my roadie fit for commuting w/ a bag on my back so it's not the most aggressive positioning either.
2010-12-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3258673

Denmark
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-23 1:02 PM
jcb123 - 2010-12-23 1:31 AM Jacob, welcome

Very cool to have someone from Europe in the group! I have 2 young children as you do and do the vast majority of my training on my own. Most of my training occurs before work. I think we can share our training and learn from each other. Do you feel as though running is your strong suit?

'Be Iron Fit' is an excellent book from what I have heard.

Lastly, I was terribly out of shape due to education and training until I was 32. I started to train more seriously around aged 35 and am currently 40. I am definitely in better shape than I was 10 years ago!

Im glad to be in the group. I guess running is my best discipline, but im working hard on the bike too. Swimming is my weakest.

I do a little of my training in the morning, but I do the main part in the evening, when the kids are at sleep. We have a hard winter here in Denmark this year, so I have been on the trainer for the last 2 months. This week i have been running in -18 degrees celsius, (Around 0 deg Fahrenheit i think).

I have been keeping my log in sporttracks, but I will update my BT log from when i started the be iron fit program.

Finally a question to you all. What units do you prefere? Can you relate to min/km, kmt or is min7mile and mph better?
2010-12-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3259484

Master
Baltimore
shmeeg - 2010-12-23 2:48 PM
jsiegs - 2010-12-23 11:23 AM What's "superfrog" you mentioned?  I think almost everyone, when properly fit, is more comfortable on a road bike than a tri bike (I am).  Dave Luscan (sp?) had a good post about tri fit and "comfort".  He said it's more your ability to withstand the position for the length of the race than comfort.  It's hard as heck for me to stay aero in training, but I force myself to to get used to it.  Races are a different story as I'm so focused I forget about comfort and it's not really an issue for me.  It's not a position that will make me stiff or sore or hurt mind you, just not how I'd choose to ride if I wasn't being timed.  Sorry for the rambling, but yeah, my roadie position isn't really set up for racing, since I don't do that on it, so it's comfortable to me (I actually fit myself on the road bike, so take that for what you will.  My tri bike was a pro fit).  Also, the set up of the road bike with brakes, shifting, handling (because of the geometry differences) will be better.

Superfrog is the HIM I will be doing in 2011.  Oside 70.3 is too early for me (and sold out already I think?), but I am going to try and get a volunteer spot for it and maybe race it in 2012 if I don't have to deploy.  I am having a hard time relaxing on the roadie, I tend to lock out my elbows and tense up my shoulders because I'm just used to laying down in the aero bars.  I also had my roadie fit for commuting w/ a bag on my back so it's not the most aggressive positioning either.

Gotcha, that makes sense.  Relaxing really does help.  Using some core muscles can take some strain off too (not that I do that or anything).  Its a muscle memory thing getting the elbow bend and relaxation - just focus on it for awhile (I've been told through playing golf it takes about 21 hours of doing something before it becomes natural) and it will come.

I was gonna ask if you were in the marines based on the 29 Palms next to your name, but it looks like you are.  I was out there and in Barstow fielding some equipment last winter, not the best vacation spot but I bet its great for open roads and training.

2010-12-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3258933

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-23 9:58 AM No problems with Michigan fans lol. But I bet you are not loving your coach? I just finished my trainer ride for the am and will get a brief swim in soon I hope. I did black bear when it was a HIM, and it was a tough race for me.

I'm more mad at Michigan for hiring him in the first place.  They had to know the program had to be rebuilt from the ground up based around his offence.  I'm not a fan of the spread, especially for Michigan, but I'm annoyed they didn't give him the time to really do it before everyone jumped all over him.  If you sign up to change your offence, you gotta give him like 4-5 years to get the recruits in then let them mature.  As far as character...well yes, never been too pleased with him...but I digress.  My boss went to Penn State and he's praying Paterno leaves this season. 

Thanks for the advice on Eagleman hydration too.  I want to "live off the course" so to speak (I may be one of the only people I've talked to who really liked the Powerbar drink).  I did an 80 mile ride that day last year in the heat and completely fell apart on a 30 min run afterwards...ended up more like a 15 minute run/walk.  Sounds like it can be done with just 2 bottles though, I was worried about that. 
2010-12-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3259510

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jsiegs - 2010-12-23 12:00 PM
Gotcha, that makes sense.  Relaxing really does help.  Using some core muscles can take some strain off too (not that I do that or anything).  Its a muscle memory thing getting the elbow bend and relaxation - just focus on it for awhile (I've been told through playing golf it takes about 21 hours of doing something before it becomes natural) and it will come.

I was gonna ask if you were in the marines based on the 29 Palms next to your name, but it looks like you are.  I was out there and in Barstow fielding some equipment last winter, not the best vacation spot but I bet its great for open roads and training.

Yeah, I actually just changed that in my profile.  Moved down to Camp Pendleton last week, Merry Christmas to me!  We hated the desert.  The sandy hills on base were good running and we did a weekly group ride that was pretty much all rural roads, but it's really limited in terms of what's out there.  I'm stoked to find a masters swim group down here and get in some OW swimming on a more regular basis!  And the cycling, hell there's bike lanes EVERYWHERE here.  Plenty of good trail running relatively close by as well.  I think next to Colorado, I couldn't be in a better place in terms of triathlon training and opportunities available to take advantage of.
2010-12-23 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3259502

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jcb123 - 2010-12-23 11:58 AM
Im glad to be in the group. I guess running is my best discipline, but im working hard on the bike too. Swimming is my weakest.

I do a little of my training in the morning, but I do the main part in the evening, when the kids are at sleep. We have a hard winter here in Denmark this year, so I have been on the trainer for the last 2 months. This week i have been running in -18 degrees celsius, (Around 0 deg Fahrenheit i think).

I have been keeping my log in sporttracks, but I will update my BT log from when i started the be iron fit program.

Finally a question to you all. What units do you prefere? Can you relate to min/km, kmt or is min7mile and mph better?

That sounds like some nasty weather!  Keep it metric, I need to work on my conversion skills Laughing
2010-12-23 3:29 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76