2011-01-01 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3257156

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Tripletmom01 Group OPEN

"star"  wow...that makes me feel good  

Dave...you better start listening better

Happy New Year everyone!  This is going to be a fun group and a cheat sheet would be a great idea!

2011-01-01 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3271445

Story: I started being active in 2005 when my friend convinced me to do the bike ride across Iowa. I loved everything about it--training, socializing, the affect on my body . A couple of years later, another friend got me to sign up for a sprint tri. It doesn't take too much convincing! I did 2 that summer.i took the next year off fro competing due to laziness, and the year after I had shoulder surgery. This year, I did 3 tris. I loved how much I improved, but I want to move up in my age group.

Family status: boyfriend and dog

Current training: I need to work on this. I was burned out last month, so I mostly swam, did yoga,step...no real training. I'd like to continue yoga and do more strength, swim/bike/run at least 2 times a week.

2011 races: signed up for Oshkosh Half Marathon and Trek sprint. Considering doing and oly and maybe a full marathon.

Weight loss: I'd like to drop some weight so I can increase my speed!!
2011-01-01 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3270429

User image

New user

CC, TX

Hi Ele

Happy to have you in my group!

I think you need to have a goal!  Are there any races youd like to train for?
What do you think is your strength? 

Awesome!

The first race I have in mind is the Corpus Christi Duathlon (5K/30K/5K), which is in mid-April. I don't think I'm a strong rider or runner. But over the last year, I saw a great improvement on the bike, both time and mastery. I think taking spinning classes helped me. 
2011-01-01 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3271495

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hi Susie

Its good to take some time off structured training...the yoga and strength are perfect for off season.
Where do you live?

cyclingsusie - 2011-01-01 5:26 PM Story: I started being active in 2005 when my friend convinced me to do the bike ride across Iowa. I loved everything about it--training, socializing, the affect on my body . A couple of years later, another friend got me to sign up for a sprint tri. It doesn't take too much convincing! I did 2 that summer.i took the next year off fro competing due to laziness, and the year after I had shoulder surgery. This year, I did 3 tris. I loved how much I improved, but I want to move up in my age group. Family status: boyfriend and dog Current training: I need to work on this. I was burned out last month, so I mostly swam, did yoga,step...no real training. I'd like to continue yoga and do more strength, swim/bike/run at least 2 times a week. 2011 races: signed up for Oshkosh Half Marathon and Trek sprint. Considering doing and oly and maybe a full marathon. Weight loss: I'd like to drop some weight so I can increase my speed!!

2011-01-01 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3271600

tripletmom01 - 2011-01-01 6:39 PM

Hi Susie

Its good to take some time off structured training...the yoga and strength are perfect for off season.
Where do you live?

cyclingsusie - 2011-01-01 5:26 PM Story: I started being active in 2005 when my friend convinced me to do the bike ride across Iowa. I loved everything about it--training, socializing, the affect on my body . A couple of years later, another friend got me to sign up for a sprint tri. It doesn't take too much convincing! I did 2 that summer.i took the next year off fro competing due to laziness, and the year after I had shoulder surgery. This year, I did 3 tris. I loved how much I improved, but I want to move up in my age group. Family status: boyfriend and dog Current training: I need to work on this. I was burned out last month, so I mostly swam, did yoga,step...no real training. I'd like to continue yoga and do more strength, swim/bike/run at least 2 times a week. 2011 races: signed up for Oshkosh Half Marathon and Trek sprint. Considering doing and oly and maybe a full marathon. Weight loss: I'd like to drop some weight so I can increase my speed!!

I live in Oak Creek, WI. I'd love to find new training partners!
2011-01-01 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3271445

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
lrunfit - 2011-01-01 4:52 PM

Happy New Year everyone!  This is going to be a fun group and a cheat sheet would be a great idea!

Lisa you ARE a Star!  no doubt about it!

Nice to read everyone's bio.   If you need advice on how to get injured or not be a good listener, I'm here for you 

2011-01-01 9:14 PM

New user

NAME: rusling/Candace

STORY: Well I've been an athlete my whole life, come from a family of pros. I stopped running in high school (I'm 24) to become a professional ballerina, I had a few great years as a dancer and left only due to injury. I have a super strong background in swimming as I used to compete at that as well as a child (and have an Oly vet as an aunt :S), running has been frustrating due to how fast I used to be and having NONE of that come back to me! And biking, well, so far it sucks, haha.

FAMILY STATUS:
married. I teach ballet in the evenings at a private studio and am in Graduate studies.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't been doing much this winter. I was training a lot up until August and suffered an injury, so I'm looking to start over, again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did my first two sprint triathlons and actually achieved all of my goals! In my very first race I was the second woman out of the water.... now I just have to figure out how to keep that placement.

2011 RACES:  I am hoping to start with an easy sprint early in the season and get right into my first Olympic length. The goal is Kona in 4 years

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm at that exciting time of my life where my lovely, could eat anything, look good in a plastic sac body is gone. I'm 5'9 and could stand to lose a few, but more importantly get the strength and muscle tone back that I had last summer.

This group sounds great and what I'm looking for if you'll have me!

Edited by rusling 2011-01-01 9:16 PM
2011-01-02 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3271714

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

I think we are doing just fine on the injury thing.... pretty much...considering

oriolepwr - 2011-01-01 7:51 PM
lrunfit - 2011-01-01 4:52 PM

Lisa you ARE a Star!  no doubt about it!

Nice to read everyone's bio.   If you need advice on how to get injured or not be a good listener, I'm here for you 

2011-01-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3271838

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

welcome to out group Candace!

You have an amazing athletic background.. I think you have the ability to go far in triathlon!

What kind of injuries have you had?

Very jealous of your swim ability...mine is just plain old averager

rusling - 2011-01-01 9:14 PM NAME: rusling/Candace

STORY: Well I've been an athlete my whole life, come from a family of pros. I stopped running in high school (I'm 24) to become a professional ballerina, I had a few great years as a dancer and left only due to injury. I have a super strong background in swimming as I used to compete at that as well as a child (and have an Oly vet as an aunt :S), running has been frustrating due to how fast I used to be and having NONE of that come back to me! And biking, well, so far it sucks, haha.

FAMILY STATUS:
married. I teach ballet in the evenings at a private studio and am in Graduate studies.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't been doing much this winter. I was training a lot up until August and suffered an injury, so I'm looking to start over, again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did my first two sprint triathlons and actually achieved all of my goals! In my very first race I was the second woman out of the water.... now I just have to figure out how to keep that placement.

2011 RACES:  I am hoping to start with an easy sprint early in the season and get right into my first Olympic length. The goal is Kona in 4 years

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm at that exciting time of my life where my lovely, could eat anything, look good in a plastic sac body is gone. I'm 5'9 and could stand to lose a few, but more importantly get the strength and muscle tone back that I had last summer.

This group sounds great and what I'm looking for if you'll have me!

2011-01-02 8:32 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Good morning group!

Hope everyone had a good new years...I for one am very looking forward to Monday

I think I will allow 1 maybe 2 more people in our group and then close it up.  People will join and then kind of dissapear...so its nice to add a few more at the start.

Also I would like all of you to log your workouts in bt.  Add eachother as friends and inspire and support eachother.  This group is a great support group as well as a great place to pick up valuable info!

Someone asked about saddles, trainers and training with power.....

First of all I have had probaly more trouble then anyone with saddles!  Main reason being my bike is just a tiny bit too big...unfortunately I cant afford a new one right now   Anyway...with a fitting bike and being fit by a well trained bike fitter you should be able to find a saddke that works. I use the Adamo.   I find I really need the cut out.

As for trainers..there are a few out there... the most well known are probaly the cyclops and the Kinetic trainers.  I havent looked lately but am guessing they will cost about $225ish????

As for training with power it really is the bomb   I got my power tap last winter and LOVE it.  I have become a much better cyclist with it.  Not saying its neccessary but it will help if you use it correctly.  What kind of questions do you have about it?

2011-01-02 8:47 AM

User image

Hello. I would like to join if there is still room.
My Name is Libby. I am 54 years old. Married with two grown kids.
I am signed up for IM Canada 2011.  I've done sprints, olys, 2 HIMS and 2 IMS over the years. 
I'm usually the one who comes in towards the end of the pack with a big grin on my face.
I am still trying to figure out how this BT works and how to post on the forums.

Thank you,
Libby

2011-01-02 8:57 AM

New user

Good morning everyone! I just opened my log to everyone, found it easier that way. As for trainers I love my kinetic, a few years ago cheaped out and got a wind trainer... Bad idea to loud and never used it.
2011-01-02 9:22 AM

User image

Regular
Marshfield
Hi Tammy!!!!  So excited for the mentoring!!

NAME: Jodi Katzenberger/jjkatzenberger
STORY:  I live a very crazy/busy life between a demanding career and my kids activities.  I a still a newbie at triathlons as I have only been doing them for only about 2 years but I LOVE THEM !!!  I am also getting sucked into the Marathon world...yahoo!!!  Still have alot to learn  
FAMILY STATUS:
  I am married and a mother of two: son 9 years old and daughter 3 years old. My kids love that I am an active mom and I think I am a great role-model for them to be active throughout their lives!
CURRENT TRAINING: I have been trying to do a swim focus as that is my greatest weakness.  I have improved on my running fitness and working towards feeling stronger on the bike.  Still battling IT Band issues but improving.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I have done many sprints, few half marathons, and a duathlon. My goals this year include completed two HIM, two Olys, and two marathons...pheew!!!
2010 RACES:  I am planning on some short runs (5K, 10K) two Olys (one spring and one fall), two HIM (again, one spring and one fall). I am also interested in some duathlons as well.  I would love to be able to sign up this year for IMM for 2012...nail biter!!
WEIGHTLOSS:  I would like to loose some weight, maybe 5 pounds.  I am 5'2" and 120lbs.  I feel really weak when I loose to much weight so I tend to hover around 120.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have greatly appreciated all the coaching I have recieved from you thus far Tammy.  I look for more work in the area of swimming!

I am so very excited for 2011 and really have enjoyed the HR zone training so plan to stick with that!!

Thanks Tammy!!!
2011-01-02 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3272167

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
tripletmom01 - 2011-01-02 8:32 AM

First of all I have had probaly more trouble then anyone with saddles!  Main reason being my bike is just a tiny bit too big...unfortunately I cant afford a new one right now   Anyway...with a fitting bike and being fit by a well trained bike fitter you should be able to find a saddke that works. I use the Adamo.   I find I really need the cut out.

As for trainers..there are a few out there... the most well known are probaly the cyclops and the Kinetic trainers.  I havent looked lately but am guessing they will cost about $225ish????

As for training with power it really is the bomb   I got my power tap last winter and LOVE it.  I have become a much better cyclist with it.  Not saying its neccessary but it will help if you use it correctly.  What kind of questions do you have about it?

I've been interested in training with power since I feel like it's ALWAYS crazy windy here near the big lake, and I think power would be a better indicator of how I'm doing on the bike (rather than just looking at mph).   On the other hand, I'm a totally average athlete so in some ways, I feel like I'm too slow anyway so it doesn't matter   I guess I'd be interested in which power meters others have been happy with and I'd like to hear from some average joes that use it.

I'm looking for a better saddle fit too.  Got the Cobb V-Flow Max for my tri bike last spring.  It's way better than the stock saddle but I don't love it.  I might move it to my road bike and get something different for the tri bike but I think I need to get in for a saddle fitting.
2011-01-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3272195

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Tripletmom01 Group FULL!

triLib - 2011-01-02 8:47 AM Hello. I would like to join if there is still room.
My Name is Libby. I am 54 years old. Married with two grown kids.
I am signed up for IM Canada 2011.  I've done sprints, olys, 2 HIMS and 2 IMS over the years. 
I'm usually the one who comes in towards the end of the pack with a big grin on my face.
I am still trying to figure out how this BT works and how to post on the forums.

Thank you,
Libby

Welcome to the Group Libby!  What IM have you done?

Let me know if you have any questions about bt!

I think I will call our group FULL

2011-01-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3272296

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

The wind is the biggest area I love my power tap..I used to get defeated by it...now I look down and see my watts are where they need to be and I know I am fine.  Its also better then HR because at times it takes your hr minutes to get up but riding with power you know exactly when you are in the right zones.

I have the cyclops powertap elite.... I can actually get them at a decent price thru my coaching if anyone is interested.

Id definitly get fit on your bike before trying out a bunch of saddles!

SpottedCow - 2011-01-02 10:06 AM
tripletmom01 - 2011-01-02 8:32 AM

I've been interested in training with power since I feel like it's ALWAYS crazy windy here near the big lake, and I think power would be a better indicator of how I'm doing on the bike (rather than just looking at mph).   On the other hand, I'm a totally average athlete so in some ways, I feel like I'm too slow anyway so it doesn't matter   I guess I'd be interested in which power meters others have been happy with and I'd like to hear from some average joes that use it.

I'm looking for a better saddle fit too.  Got the Cobb V-Flow Max for my tri bike last spring.  It's way better than the stock saddle but I don't love it.  I might move it to my road bike and get something different for the tri bike but I think I need to get in for a saddle fitting.

2011-01-02 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3271234

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the bike advice. Since I do have the "monster" at home and it works okay, I think I will just keep training with it this year until I start HIM prep.  The power meter does appear to give numbers that are consistently related to the effort I put out.  They are quite pathetic (120-220 depending on effort) compared to stuff I see on this site but I guess that's where I'm at.  There is a HR monitor on the bike but it doesn't appear to work. I'm thinking of getting a watch with an HR monitor. (It should be obvious by now that I'm a first-class cheapskate if I agonize over stuff that costs less than $100!) Can't even contemplate all these other fancy devices like Garmin, etc. 

Running-wise, my log will be pretty sparse because I don't have a way to precisely measure routes. I check them with my cycle computer or Google Earth, but the reality of running in a developing country is that I can't consistently run a planned route. Often I have to change routes mid-run due to construction, traffic, flooding, feral dogs, harassment, etc. There is no running trail, track, or other measured, lighted, traffic-free place with safe footing to do speedwork or precisely measured runs. I run for a given amount of time, either easy/moderate runs of 45-60 min, long runs (1:20 to 2:00), or speedwork. The latter is fartlek and tempo runs, based on effort, since if needed I can stop for traffic, etc. or change routes and just pick up where I left off. I think this is one area where a heart rate monitor might be useful!

Compared to run/bike, my swim setup's pretty good. We have a 25 meter indoor pool at our school, although faculty access hours are limited.  I am a "master" of the 60-minute workout.  Our former master's coach quit when the school cut funding but we swimmers/traithletes are hoping to hire a private coach--politics of this are sticky so my fingers are still crossed. But I count my blessings that I don't have to drive miles to a pool, or get up at 4:30 AM to swim.

The plus of my situation is that I have some great tri buddies. We bike together and share the pool. No one runs my pace but I see them out there training and we support each other at races. I also don't get tempted to go out and race too much and can just focus on training and staying healthy. Oh, yeah, and massage is cheap. I can afford one every week!

RE my mom: She's 72, and a lifelong recreational cyclist (but not mechanically minded), and loves watching bike/tri events on TV. She can still give me a run for my money on a flat course. We celebrated her birthday a few years ago with a metric century in Budapest.
2011-01-02 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3271221

New user

Thank you Tammy!

I do have a trainer but I have used it like twice. It's really hard for me to workout at home so I need the accountability of a class. I am taking an 8 week computrainer class starting this week.

My goal this season is to improve on the bike, I am intrigued by the power meter you speak of. As much as I would like to get a new better bike this season (currently I have a entry level road bike with clip on aero bars) it probably won't be worth the $$ until I can ride with more power.

I did Racine last year as my first HIM and had a lot of fun, this year I want to really push myself now that I know what to expect.

tripletmom01 - 2011-01-01 2:05 PM

Welcome to the group Sandi!!

I did PP as well a Racine last year so I can give you pointers there.  Which HIM did you do?

Do you have a bike trainer?

Sandals06 - 2011-01-01 10:58 AM Hi I am Sandals06/Sandi and would like to join your group.

I am married with one teenage son and live in Chicago. I have completed a couple sprint and oly distance triathlons, last year I completed my first 1/2 Ironman. Last year was all about surviving the distance....this year I really want to push myself.

T  he past several months I have taken off from training but am starting the new year focusing on running and cycling classes. Cycling is my biggest weakness.

For 2011 I plan to race Racine 70.3 and Pleasant Prairie oly distance

2011-01-02 12:44 PM

Hello I would love to Join!  Training Now
Name: Karan/ kduncan
Story: This is a personal Fitness Challenge that I set for myself last May when I turned 40 I was at 271 pounds. Started a couch to 5K program had bad foot issues with plantar fascitis, took the summer off went to swimming. Started back in the fall to complete the Komen in Nov. and the Jingle Bell in Dec Currently at 230. I am slow but determined. I used to be a competitive swimmer in high school.
Family Status: Married 3 boys 9,7,4 very busy and athletic. Working Mom needs to keep up -
This Year's Races: I have a 5k On Feb 20th and the Danskin Tri on June 5th (Sprint)
Current Training: I pulled the 5 month beginner schedule off this site. I have not purchased cycling gear yet. I have been using a stationary bike, swimming laps, and road running. Took a since my last 5k on Dec 12th.
Weight loss: Obviously: A big Goal. I am currently on Medifast and have lost 40 pounds since Oct. Wondering if I should enter the Athena division or age division or if it even matters since my goal is completion.
What will make you a good mentor: Encouragement for someone totally out of their comfort zone. Realistic advise.
2011-01-02 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3272151

New user

Thanks for having me. I have suffered the gauntlet of injury! But this summer I actually had a high ankle sprain and have developed some tendonitis in my foot and achilles. But it feels pretty good now, nice and strong. I have to get some new bike shoes, mine were a bit small last season which contributed to the problems.
2011-01-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3272346

User image

Subject: RE: Tripletmom01 Group FULL!
Thank you for welcoming me into the group.  I was so excited about joining the group I ran downstairs and got my workout done early this morning!

I did IM Canada '06 which was on my 50th birthday. Finished 34 minutes after midnight.  I did IM Arizona Nov. '08 finished 16:49:41

2011-01-02 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ok so am the only guy here?   Tough life I have 
2011-01-02 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Logging workout question
Does anyone know how to log swim/run workouts on BT given my situation?

I run based on time (explained in last entry); distance is at best a guess. 
I swim based on distance. I count the total distance, not the total time, since I'm usually doing sets, not swimming the whole thing continuously at the same pace.
I can quantify road biking with time or distance, indoors only with time as the distance display doesn't work (i.e. it reads 1.3 after an hour).
So right now if I set the graphs to display time, it looks like I don't swim.
If I set them to display distance, it will look like I don't run or bike indoors!
Should I just guess the swim time, and graph based on time, or what?
2011-01-02 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3273146

New user

Subject: RE: Logging workout question
Hot Runner - 2011-01-02 9:00 PMDoes anyone know how to log swim/run workouts on BT given my situation?

I run based on time (explained in last entry); distance is at best a guess. 
I swim based on distance. I count the total distance, not the total time, since I'm usually doing sets, not swimming the whole thing continuously at the same pace.
I can quantify road biking with time or distance, indoors only with time as the distance display doesn't work (i.e. it reads 1.3 after an hour).
So right now if I set the graphs to display time, it looks like I don't swim.
If I set them to display distance, it will look like I don't run or bike indoors!
Should I just guess the swim time, and graph based on time, or what?
Have you tried www.mapmyrun.com to plot your runs? It maybe easier than google earth. Or if you have one of those smart phones then you Dan download an app to use the internal gps.
2011-01-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3271225

New user

La Grande
I just started to follow a training plan today.  I am using the training plan by Joe Friel in his book, Your First Triathlon, 12 weeks to your first tri.  I figured I might at well be a newbie since the last tri I did was 2 years ago. It also allows me to do most of my triaining this winter in the gym we have in town.  I can take spin classes and use the treadmill as well as weights there.  We have an indoor pool but lap swim is very limited, but not impossible to use.  Swimming is definately my worst area.  I could be moving backwards for all  I can tell.  Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.  At the moment it is 17 degrees
Rene'
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tripletmom01 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 14