BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-03 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - OPEN
Hey Andrew,
I'd like to get in on this as well. 

STORY: I've been doing triathlons for a couple years, started in 2007, after being told that I could do a half ironman after I completed a marathon in oct 2006.  So in may 2007 I completed the white lake half.  I did a few other sprints that year.  The following year I did another race, i think only one, and lost the bug.  In 2009 I didn't do any, but then in late 2009 i got engaged and decided the only way for me to get into shape for my honeymoon was to train for another half IM. I had a great season of tri's, and actually placed 3rd in my category in the second race of the year, and that really motivated me a lot.  I never was able to do the half I trained for because I lost my job and couldn't afford it, but I got rehooked.
Now my sights are set on Ironman Arizona in November.  I've never done a race of this distance and figured I could use a little help, especially when the training starts to become overwhelming.

FAMILY STATUS: as I mentioned I just got married in october 2010.

CURRENT TRAINING: In the offseason I trained for a marathon, which i wound up not doing because of time and money constraints, but my main goal was to just build up my running base, and I have to say mission accomplished. I started out doing about 11 min miles for 10+ miles, and by the end I was doing 13 miles in 9:22 min/miles. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 4 sprints, 1 olympic.

2011 RACES:  This year I'm planning on two 'A' races, one olympic in may, and the ironman in november.  I plan on a few sprints, possibly a half in early sept.

WEIGHTLOSS: No weightloss goals, my wife doesn't want me losing anymore.

2011-01-03 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck on the IM training RookieIM. I did Louisville in 2009 - I had a great experience.

Lets get a roll call with location.

James (microspawn) - Mississippi (grew up in TX and then lived in IN for a dozen or so years)
2011-01-03 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

Hey Andrew, Happy New Year! This group sounds great...don't know if you have room for one more? I have been a sprint tri/ 5-7k runner ( i use that term loosely)  for the last 3 years, but definitely want to step up to olympic this summer. I am old and slow and need all the motivation I can get! If you have room, let me know and I will give you my whole life story-ha! Just kidding!!
Holly/hollz

2011-01-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3274755

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome RookieIM and Holly!  Definitely happy to have you join!  

We are at 11 right now, so we have room for about 4 more if people are interested.  

Holly - we expect your full life story...get typing.

Drew

2011-01-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3274615

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
microspawn - 2011-01-03 11:16 AM Lets get a roll call with location. James (microspawn) - Mississippi (grew up in TX and then lived in IN for a dozen or so years)

Andrew or Drew (andrew_haberkorn) - Manhattan Beach, CA (grew up in Cedar City, UT and Colorado Springs, CO).

2011-01-03 5:07 PM

New user

Carmel

Andrew - looks like a great group is forming - I want in!

My name is Mike 

STORY: I have completed a few tris and marathons over the years.  I got into Tri in 2007 completing a sprint and then in 2008 attempted Florida 70.3 but didn't get thru the water after two guys swam over me.  I hate the water and that just made it worse.  I completed NYC Tri in 2008 & 2009.  Then my soon to be ex wife decided she wanted to do an Ironman so I took 2010 off to be home with the kids so she could train.  I am now ready to get back into it and need the distraction from the family issues.

FAMILY STATUS: I am newly separated from my second wife.  she moved out in October and has just decided it is over.  I have two great kids - Shan (13) from first wife and Liam (4) from current. I didn't see what happened coming at all but maybe just didn't want to see it.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am just learning to swim the Total Immersion way.  it is helping me get comfy in the water but it is only 4 weeks in.  I get on the indoor trainer twice a week so far.  I am also just starting p90x - friend gave them to me for christmas

2011 RACES: 
   NYC Marathon November 2011
   Minuteman Sprint Tri June 2011
   NYC Tri August 2011
   Harvest Moon Duathalon Sept 2011
   Any New York Road Runners races

HEALTH Issues: I am a heart attack survivor of 7yrs with defib.  I had one at the nice age of 35yrs.  I am also Type 2 Diabetic.  I weigh in at 171lbs and my doctors would like me down at 155lbs.  I don't have my diabetes undercontrol - soda is my downfall since i go to it when stressed.

Why would I be a good mentee? I am in need of this and want this to change my life around.  Tri is a lifestyle that i really like and i love the people i have met in the last few years that a triathletes.

2011-01-03 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3274823

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-03 3:47 PM
microspawn - 2011-01-03 11:16 AM Lets get a roll call with location. James (microspawn) - Mississippi (grew up in TX and then lived in IN for a dozen or so years)

Andrew or Drew (andrew_haberkorn) - Manhattan Beach, CA (grew up in Cedar City, UT and Colorado Springs, CO).

Steve Hebert (Otter_sh) - Palm Bay, FL
2011-01-03 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3275150

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Lets get a roll call with location.

James (microspawn) - Mississippi (grew up in TX and then lived in IN for a dozen or so years)
Steve Hebert (Otter_sh) - Palm Bay, FL

Tim Miller (MonkeyClaw) - Sedona, AZ (moved here last May from the Philly area)

Edited by MonkeyClaw 2011-01-03 5:27 PM
2011-01-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3275141

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Mike,

Welcome to the group!  Very happy to have you be a part of this.  Thanks for sharing your info.  I think it shows a lot of courage for you to come here and be so open (that goes for others who have shared as well).  I believe this group can and will be a great support system for everyone involved.

Is your first race of the year going to be the tri in June?  I'm not totally familiar with the NYRR's schedule, so I'm not sure when those races are off the top of my head.

Drew

2011-01-03 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3275188

New user

Carmel
Hi Drew,

Thanks for the welcome!! I am very much looking forward to this.

NYRR is pretty much every month - i have only signed up for a few 5K races right now since still working out the child arrangements since we are both wanting to be active.

I actually have signed up for a few Time Trial races - January 8th, 22nd and then two more in Feb.

I have also signed up for Prospect Park Du on March 19th - 5K - 14M Bike - 5K.

The ones i listed are my key races this year - Harvest Moon and the NYC Marathon are my key races.  I would love to do extremely well in NYC but not the the detriment of Harvest Moon Du.

I will get the dates of the NYRR races confirmed and will let you know.

Thanks again for accepting me

Mike
2011-01-03 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3275141

Lake St. Louis
James how was the heat and humidity in Louisville?  2011 will be my first season for tri's, but I have always been involved in endurance sports.  I was thinking a HIM late in the year and maybe an IM next year.  Louisville is one I was thinking about.  Would you recommend it?  How was the swim in the Ohio River?

Mike welcome to the group.  I love P90X.  It works great.  One word of caution though is to make sure you do the Plyo's on soft surfaces.  I have had problems with stress fractures in the shins due to doing the workout on the hard floor in my basement.

As far as the roll call:

Darrell - St. Louis, MO.  Grew up in Kentucky and live in Tennessee for 6 years before moving to St. Louis.

Edited by UTMrunner 2011-01-03 7:33 PM

2011-01-03 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3274823

User image

New user

Greenville, SC

Tom (need to be faster)- Greenville,SC (grew up in Miami, FL)

2011-01-03 9:37 PM

User image

Sunderland
Hi Drew,

I'd like to join your group if you'll have me.

Story:  I started running (jogging) in July because I wanted to lose a few pounds, get in shape, and basically feel like I was doing something positive with my free time.  I had pretty much been a couch potato for the past 10 years and wanted to make a change.  I did a handful of 5Ks in 2010 with a few of my friends and had a blast.  One my friends happens to be a triathlete and after talking with her, I decided I wanted to try one.  They look like fun.  I'm up for the challenge.

Family: I'm 32, single, and don't have any children.

Current Training: I try to run 3 miles a few times a week.  I've been battling injuries on and off for the past few months (knees, ankles, feet) but I'm healthy now and hope to stay that way.  I'm going to join the YMCA with in the next couple weeks and start swimming.

2011 Races:
Hyannis 10K - February
Holyoke 10K - March
Wrentham Duathlon - April 
Westfield Sprint Triathlon - June

Depending on how these go, I'll probably do a couple more sprints over the summer.

Weightloss:  I'd like to lose a few pounds of fat but I'm not too concerned about it.  I mainly just want to stay healthy and injury free.  

Why would I be a good mentee? I'm starting from square one and want to have a successful season.  I'd be grateful for any advice and support I could get.

-Ben
2011-01-03 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3275524

User image

Colorado Springs
Bert Bledsoe (bledsoepatriot)  Colorado Springs, CO.  -- grew up in So. Cal until High School then Yosemite.

Edited by bledsoepatriot 2011-01-03 10:05 PM
2011-01-03 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3275524

User image

Colorado Springs
Need to be Faster - 2011-01-03 7:34 PM

Tom (need to be faster)- Greenville,SC (grew up in Miami, FL)
Bert Bledsoe (bledsoepatriot) Colorado Springs,CO (grew up in So. Cal and then H.S. in No. Cal Yosemite)

2011-01-03 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Andrew, I am hoping to join your mentor group as an additional measure in the area of motivation for me.  I have done a bunch of triathlons (4, 2 years ago and 2 last season), a bunch of 5K's and a few 10K's . I have a medical syndrome which makes it very difficult for me to lose weight, but not impossible. I want this to be the year. The year I drop at least 20 pounds and get FASTER.

Story: I began exercising in earnest about 3 years ago after a long break from participation in High School sports.  I began small and with a knowledge of myself - knowing that I needed consistency more than intensity for awhile.  I have grown to love working out but continue to find it difficult to fit in my schedule. I work full time, am a mother, a wife, etc.  I do find the time to train, however, but I am ready to become even tougher this year.

Family: I am married with a five-year-old girl, both of whom I adore.

Current Training: During the tri season, I train with a local track group but mostly I use the Essential Triathlete Magazine's training guide. Although honestly, it's collecting dust right now.  I recently set up an area in my basement to put my bike on the trainer and I belong to two local gyms - on of them being the "Y" with a 20yd pool.

2011 Races:Several - please see my training log

Weightloss: 20 pounds gone in 2011. It's time. I did lose the weight and keep it off before I had my daughter. I can do it again..right?

Why would I be a good mentee?: I log my workouts, regularly communicate issues, need encouragement to keep going.  I also provide encouragement for others to help keep everyone going.
(What the other guy said
-----Exercise + Weight loss = more energy to have the extreme amount of fun I enjoy.

2011-01-03 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3275719

Lake St. Louis
gcoller, welcome to the group.  I am right there with you on the goal of losing 20 pounds.  We will have to work together to keep each other motivated. 
2011-01-04 12:23 AM
in reply to: #3275719

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome Ben and Gcoller!  Glad to have you.  You've joined the best group on BT (totally unbiased)!

I'll leave the group open until early tomorrow morning for anyone else trying to get in on this action.  We'll take 1-2 more.

Drew 
2011-01-04 1:00 AM

User image

Expert
alright, just came in from the garage after 45 minutes on the rollers.  I haven't been on the bike in quite a while, and it showed!!  Felt fine, but I was a gear or two lower than I remeber...  Lots of sweat though, I definately remember that part!

Location roll call:  Norcal_SAHD aka david,  location: Novato, California.  About 30 minutes north of San Francisco.  Or, in triathlon terms, about one hour south of the Vineman Ironman.  Laughing

A few asked about the Xterra triathlon... I loved it!  It was fairly short for an Xterra (800yd, 16 mile, 4 mile), but hard.  Now, it was only my second ever tri (though I've done a few more since then) so I don't have much basis for comparison, but it was totally fun.  I'm a mountain biker first (got my first mtb when I went to college in 1988 and rode most every day up in the hills above school) so that's what drew me to trying the Xterra.  In the years from about 95-08, I pretty much did nothing but get married, work, have kids, get comfy and gain a buncha weight.  The usual. Sealed  I only mention this to point out that despite loving mtbing, I'm not in particuarly great biking shape anymore...

anyway, back to the Xterra...  everyone was low key, every kind of bike imaginable, and it was a small race (less than 200 people total, I think) because it was not a national points race, and is early in the season.  The bike course was a blast, not as nasty as I've read about for some Xterra's, but lots of nice single and double track and some technical rock gardens thrown in.  There was one muddy hill I dismounted and ran up both laps, though I saw some that rode up it.  My average speed was 10 mph which was a little south of middle of the pack.

The run was TOUGH!  Again, I'm not a strong runner, but I had to walk multiple times up hills, and even down one hill cause it was so steep I was worried about falling. 

I'd love to do some more Xterra's, there are three others in my general vacinity, but one conflicts with other stuff, and the others are full olympic length (and at altitude) which I don't think I'd be ready for this year.  Maybe next year.  They really are fun, and a bit more 'survival' at times than a regular road tri.

ok, enough rambling...  off to bed.
2011-01-04 1:15 AM

User image

Expert
And a question, what's everyone riding?  What's your winter setup (trainer in the living room?  garage?  rollers?  hardcore with studded tires outside in the snow?)

My main bike, my mtb, is a 10 year old Specialized Stumpjumper Pro full suspension with WAAAY too much $$ spent on it over the years (nice wheels, Push tuned shock, full XTR, etc.).  Despite being old, it's farily light (for a full suspension bike) at ~26 pounds and rides great.

I don't own a road bike at the moment, but the bike I ride on the road is a really old steel hardtail mountain bike with road tires that weighs something over 30 pounds.  This is the bike I race in road tri's.  We're in a bit of a financial pickle at the moment so it will probably be some time before I upgrade to a real road or tri bike, but I do love researching them just in case. Money mouth

My winter setup is rollers in the garage, right next to a treadmill.  I have a TV out there, but usually either listen to my ipod, or baseball on the radio if it's baseball season.  I find the TV a little too distracting when on the rollers... Surprised

Whatcha riding?

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2011-01-04 2:36 AM
2011-01-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3275387

User image

Extreme Veteran
UTMrunner - 2011-01-03 7:32 PM

James how was the heat and humidity in Louisville?  2011 will be my first season for tri's, but I have always been involved in endurance sports.  I was thinking a HIM late in the year and maybe an IM next year.  Louisville is one I was thinking about.  Would you recommend it?  How was the swim in the Ohio River

Ironman Louisville was a wonderful experience. I had a perfect day and met all of my goals for the race. My fantasy gold medal time was 12 hours even but everything just clicked. I finished in 11:18 with more in the tank feeling great.

I trained in the heat and humidity of Southern Mississippi (95 + on heat and humidity) and got lucky racing Louisville the ‘cool’ year. I have written a bunch of posts about the experience on my blog –

http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/search/label/ironmanLoiusville

No wetsuit in the Ohio River. People wearing white clothing turned brown. There was not much of a current. The time trial start was easy and eliminated a lot of the churn.

2011-01-04 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3275825

User image

Colorado Springs
David thanks for all the info on your bike. I have just started training for my first tri and I don't even own a bike. I have been using stationary at gym. I am hoping to get bike near the end of Feb so hoping you and the rest of the group will be able to give me some tips. I posted my race log for my first race as suggested by Drew while it was still relatively fresh in my mind. Also figured out that the training schedule I chose had two a day workouts. Which is totally workable, but I rode my 24 minutes yesterday and then tried to jump in the pool and was exhausted. I think that I am going to use the beginners 18 workout to 500 meters for swim over next six weeks and then reevaluate. This way I can ease into the swim. Any thoughts on this idea? This is first time in at least 20 years I've tried to actually train so could use all suggestions given. Also should I be training at a pace where I can still have conversations? I usually push harder than that, or should I be basing things off HR? My resting HR seems to be at 70. Hope being the new guy won't be overwhelming to everyone as I have lots of questions.
2011-01-04 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3276313

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-04 7:16 AM David thanks for all the info on your bike. I have just started training for my first tri and I don't even own a bike. I have been using stationary at gym. I am hoping to get bike near the end of Feb so hoping you and the rest of the group will be able to give me some tips. I posted my race log for my first race as suggested by Drew while it was still relatively fresh in my mind. Also figured out that the training schedule I chose had two a day workouts. Which is totally workable, but I rode my 24 minutes yesterday and then tried to jump in the pool and was exhausted. I think that I am going to use the beginners 18 workout to 500 meters for swim over next six weeks and then reevaluate. This way I can ease into the swim. Any thoughts on this idea? This is first time in at least 20 years I've tried to actually train so could use all suggestions given. Also should I be training at a pace where I can still have conversations? I usually push harder than that, or should I be basing things off HR? My resting HR seems to be at 70. Hope being the new guy won't be overwhelming to everyone as I have lots of questions.

I'm lucky enough to be riding outside still. I've had to scrap a few rides, but since I'm concentrating mostly on the run it's not that big of a concern. Swimming outside too - swam when it was snowing the other day!

If you're having a hard time going from bike to swim, you may want to go easier on the bike. I've found intervals on the bike are very productive, and a very effective use of time. Before scrapping the 2-a-days altogether, you may want to try going a bit easier on the bike with intervals of 30s hard/5m easy. This will give you a couple of intervals to start with as you gain fitness. Also, you may want to try swimming first, then riding and see how this goes. I've found that beginning/returning swimmers tend to lose their breath before they actually wear themselves out. Swim a few hundred meters - even if you have to stop every 25 - then hop on the bike.

Tracking your resting heart rate (RHR) can be useful for determining overall fitness. Also, recovery heart rate (how much it drops in 1 minute) is good to track, especially when starting/restarting. These are easy to measure and show improvement as you get more fit.
2011-01-04 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3274615

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Names Josh, I live in Asheville, nc. But grew up outside philadelphia.  Moved to asheville with family in 98, went to college in 99, then moved to charlotte. Lived there for 7 years, now I'm back in asheville again. Circle of life
2011-01-04 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3276313

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
"avid thanks for all the info on your bike. I have just started training for my first tri and I don't even own a bike. I have been using stationary at gym. I am hoping to get bike near the end of Feb so hoping you and the rest of the group will be able to give me some tips. I posted my race log for my first race as suggested by Drew while it was still relatively fresh in my mind. Also figured out that the training schedule I chose had two a day workouts. Which is totally workable, but I rode my 24 minutes yesterday and then tried to jump in the pool and was exhausted. I think that I am going to use the beginners 18 workout to 500 meters for swim over next six weeks and then reevaluate. This way I can ease into the swim. Any thoughts on this idea? This is first time in at least 20 years I've tried to actually train so could use all suggestions given. Also should I be training at a pace where I can still have conversations? I usually push harder than that, or should I be basing things off HR? My resting HR seems to be at 70. Hope being the new guy won't be overwhelming to everyone as I have lots of questions."

When I started doing 2 a day's it was a session in the morning before work and another one after work, so you had a ton of recovery time. Especially early on I don't think it's important to work on the bike to swim but there are more experienced folks who may say I'm wrong.  But this early on you just want to work on your base.  Going from bike to swim right now is only going to slow down your swimming progression since you are going to be too tired to get a good swim workout in. 
Just my thoughts...will happily defer to someone else if I'm wrong.

Edited by RookieIM 2011-01-04 9:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24