BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-04-14 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3445725

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-OPEN
billeckert - 2011-04-13 10:49 PM Hello Eli,

Would like to join your group.  Did the Winter program and was in a group with experior.  Learned a lot from the group and it helped me stay motivated.  Here is my info:

NAME: Bill

STORY: Rode my bicycle a lot until I was 16.  Lifted weights through HS and the Army.  Was on the swim team in 10th and 11th grade.  In the Army for 3 years after HS.  Played Rugby one year in college.  I have not done much of anything for about 15 years.  I have walked some and lifted weights occassionly but nothing regular until recently.  Some HS friends and I planned a trip to raft the Gauley River in WV.  I saw the videos and thought man I better do something before I go.  I walked every day for a month and lost about 5 pounds before I went.  The trip was in early October 2010.  One of my HS friends had started doing triathlons.  I talked to him a little.  It seemed interesting and I looked into it.  I found that it does not have to be an Ironman.  I looked at the Sprint races and thought I could do that.  I found this site and started the 20 week Sprint program -run focused in middle October.  At that time I did not have a place to swim so I just did bike on swim days.  I got a membership to a health club in late November and began swimming.  I restarted a new program in December, the 20 week Sprint program, balanced.  Then in January I changed to a custom plan from this website that gave times and mileage to give me a better idea of where I should be.  I have been following that plan and have have kept my log on here for all of my workouts.  My first sprint tri will be on April 30th and I am ready to be a CLYDESDALE!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 19.5 years, two kids, 17 year old son and 5 year old girl.

CURRENT TRAINING: 6 days a week.  Following a custom plan from this website.  Yoga once a week.  After my race on April 30th I am taking a week off of heavy training.  I will do some light swim, bike and run that week.  Then I am starting a 20 week program to do an olympic event in the fall.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - Sprint, April 30th

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs - Sprint, June 11th

Maybe another sprint in July or August.

Tugaloo Triathlon - Olympic - September 24th.

Atlanta Half Marathon in November. (We'll see, it has been on my list forever and just never managed to get out and start training)

2010 RACES:  Couch to refrigerator to couch.

WEIGHTLOSS: Was at 280 last summer.  On a 5' 8" frame that is a little scary.  At 238 right now.  Not really watching the weight as much as I am watching the changes. Still would like to be down between 210 and 220 by fall.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
I look forward to joining this group to be able to get some feedback on what I am doing and to be able to see what other people are doing or have done.  I am really interested in hearing about how people got started and what their struggles were and what they continue to be.  I hope that I can add to the group with my input and questions that I am sure to have.

Bill, welcome aboard! Not to get off topic, but what position did you play at Rugby?

Sounds like you have some good plans. Looking forward to working with you as the season picks up!

2011-04-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3445906

User image

Master
TriColby - 2011-04-14 7:07 AM

Thanks for having me guys.  I am just getting into the sport, and really looking forward to my first race, June 18th in Orlando.  

Story:  I am 28 years old, and started running back in October to lose a few extra pounds.  I really enjoyed the running, so i wanted to start doing more active stuff.  I bought a road bike and have really enjoyed that this year so far.  The swimming is the rough spot for me.  I have never been a swimmer in the athletic sense, just your float around and drink beer swimmer.  I am starting my YMCA membership this weekend to try and get 3 days a week going with that.  

Family Status:  Engaged to a very lovely and supportive gal.

Current Training: I run 3 times a week, and I do strength training 3-4 times a week.  I try and ride my bike as much as possible on the weekends, which usually translates into 15-30 miles of Road and Mountain biking over the course of Saturday and Sunday.

Plans:  I really started this whole thing to get in shape for the Tough Mudder in December.  12 miles of military style obstacle course.  I figured the best way to get in shape for something is to be as active as possible, and multi-sport seems interesting because of my ADD, lol.  I have the Father's Day Triathlon on June 18th in Orlando, which I am debating doing the MyFirst Event for that since i don't know how strong my swimming will be, but there is a part of me that just wants to sign up for the Sprint to test myself.  Then I am hoping for the Fall Triathlon in August in Orlando, and Tough Mudder in December down near Tampa.

Weightloss:  I have lost 21 pounds since October but more importantly I have gotten off my arse for the first time in many years, and I feel great!

I am really looking forward to getting in shape this year and completing some races, and it sounds like you guys are really into this, and that makes it even more exciting to have people to talk to about it. Everyone I know is a professional beer drinker, so when i talk about triathlons or the like, I look like the crazy guy.  Really looking forward to the group, especially for some help with swimming, and thanks for having me.  Nice to be in a group with fellow Floridians!

Fathers day in Orlando....Hmmmmm that sounds like fun!

Finding a group of like minded people can help. I started in to Tri's through a friend, he introduced me to a group from meetup.org, and they have been stuck with me ever since!

The swimming does take some getting used to, but give it some time. You have to get comfortable in the water, let the water float you as much as possible. In some ways, if you manage to float and drink at the same time, you have many of the important swimming skills-Floating, one arm at a time for movement and rythmic breathing (while you drink).

2011-04-14 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3445925

User image

Griffin, Georgia
LMAO about the swimming.  Great analogy.
2011-04-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3445922

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Played prop at Georgia Tech right after getting out of the Army.  Started Rugby at 205 and got down to 195 while playing.  Have never seen those weights since.
2011-04-14 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Ocala
Would it be worth the money to invest in a trisuit, or does it really make a difference?  I only own board shorts for swimming anyway, so i need something to swim in, but I was not sure if it was necessary or a good investment.  They look pretty cool, and I could totally see myself feeling ready to tear it up while wearing one, but they are not cheap.  Any thoughts on them?
2011-04-14 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3446028

User image

Master

billeckert - 2011-04-14 8:00 AM Played prop at Georgia Tech right after getting out of the Army.  Started Rugby at 205 and got down to 195 while playing.  Have never seen those weights since.

What years? I played for Tulane from 1991-1995. We played you all at a couple of tournaments.

2011-04-14 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3446084

User image

Master

TriColby - 2011-04-14 8:21 AM Would it be worth the money to invest in a trisuit, or does it really make a difference?  I only own board shorts for swimming anyway, so i need something to swim in, but I was not sure if it was necessary or a good investment.  They look pretty cool, and I could totally see myself feeling ready to tear it up while wearing one, but they are not cheap.  Any thoughts on them?

Nothing is cheap for tri specific gear.

I haven't bought a tri suit yet, as I always worry about having to pee.

I would say find a pair of shorts you like, maybe two, one for racing and one for training.

Good shorts don't seem to last more than about a year before they start to look a little saggy in my experience. Two years, and you might be showing more than your speed on the ride.

As for shirts, I found a tri top I liked for racing, that didn't slow me down or chafe when I swam.

But you are right, tri suits just look cool!

2011-04-14 11:06 AM

New user

Hi Eli, Is there still room open in the group? If so, I'll go ahead and post a bio in just a bit. Thanks!
2011-04-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3446554

User image

Master

sobriquetness - 2011-04-14 11:06 AM Hi Eli, Is there still room open in the group? If so, I'll go ahead and post a bio in just a bit. Thanks!

Certainly, please come and join us!

2011-04-14 1:03 PM

User image

Ocala
Time to pull the trigger.  Should I sign up for the My First with a .4K swim, or the Sprint with a .75K swim?  I have 9 weeks to train in the pool?  That should be enough, right?  And it is a USAT event, would I be better off buying the membership for the year, or the 1 time $10 fee?

Edited by TriColby 2011-04-14 1:05 PM
2011-04-14 1:12 PM

New user

Thanks!

NAME: Vanessa

STORY:
Started out running marathons, been doing that since 2009. Inherited my bf's old tri bike and found out I love riding so I'm looking to do a tri in the near future! Also, I'm in the Miami area.

FAMILY STATUS:
  In a relationship for over a yr. My bf has done 2 HIMs and 2 IMs in the last 2 yrs.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I exercise a lot, but not in any sort of structured program. Usually do short work-outs during the week and a long run on Sat and long bike on Sun.

2010 Races:
Houston half marathon, ING Miami full marathon

2011 RACES:  Houston full marathon

WEIGHT LOSS:  I’m good with my weight. If anything, I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs.

I love to learn!

2011-04-14 3:17 PM

User image

Carmel

Eli

I'd like to join your mentor group - this will be tri year #2 - but last year I did "blind" - and hope to do better this year - with a little help.

If accepted - I'll post a bio tonight - and try to fiind a photo - thanks.

Paul

2011-04-14 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3446833

User image

Master

TriColby - 2011-04-14 1:03 PM Time to pull the trigger.  Should I sign up for the My First with a .4K swim, or the Sprint with a .75K swim?  I have 9 weeks to train in the pool?  That should be enough, right?  And it is a USAT event, would I be better off buying the membership for the year, or the 1 time $10 fee?

Tough call on the swim, is that the only difference between the races? If so, go for the shorter swim.

As for the membership...do you think you will do 3 or 4 tri's in a year. If 4, buy the membership.

2011-04-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3447237

User image

Master
pgrun - 2011-04-14 3:17 PM

Eli

I'd like to join your mentor group - this will be tri year #2 - but last year I did "blind" - and hope to do better this year - with a little help.

If accepted - I'll post a bio tonight - and try to fiind a photo - thanks.

Paul

Paul,

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you and hope we can help.

2011-04-14 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3447248

User image

Ocala
eliwashere - 2011-04-14 4:21 PM

TriColby - 2011-04-14 1:03 PM Time to pull the trigger.  Should I sign up for the My First with a .4K swim, or the Sprint with a .75K swim?  I have 9 weeks to train in the pool?  That should be enough, right?  And it is a USAT event, would I be better off buying the membership for the year, or the 1 time $10 fee?

Tough call on the swim, is that the only difference between the races? If so, go for the shorter swim.

As for the membership...do you think you will do 3 or 4 tri's in a year. If 4, buy the membership.

The only difference is the swim yes, but I figured I may as well go all out.  I am pretty confident that I can swim that distance.  But I am still thinking about it.  

As for the membership, I have 4 slated for the year, though I have not done one yet at all, so I guess I will hold off until I have completed one?  I just didn't know if there were any other benefits to it.

2011-04-14 3:43 PM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA

NAME: Chris

STORY:
Always been an active person in playing basketball, baseball, ice hockey, etc. in addition to a lot of weightlifting and recreational cardio. Wanted to get started on a sport that I can do well into the future as I am 22 y/o currently. I have only done 1 sprint triathlon so far but I am training a lot and preparing for 2 olympics. The plan right now is to do olympics this year, half ironman next year, and then full ironman in two years.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single but I live with my girlfriend of 2 years

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Currently working on 3x olympic training plan (3 swim, 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 2 weight lifting sessions)

2010 Races: None

2011 RACES:  Intramural sprint triathlon, 2 Olympic triathlons

WEIGHT LOSS:  Started at 245 and am currently at 229

I am young, hardworking, and stick to training plans really well. I do a lot of research and I also communicate/e-mail all the time.

2011-04-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3447315

User image

Master
xine2kgts - 2011-04-14 3:43 PM

NAME: Chris

STORY:
Always been an active person in playing basketball, baseball, ice hockey, etc. in addition to a lot of weightlifting and recreational cardio. Wanted to get started on a sport that I can do well into the future as I am 22 y/o currently. I have only done 1 sprint triathlon so far but I am training a lot and preparing for 2 olympics. The plan right now is to do olympics this year, half ironman next year, and then full ironman in two years.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single but I live with my girlfriend of 2 years

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Currently working on 3x olympic training plan (3 swim, 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 2 weight lifting sessions)

2010 Races: None

2011 RACES:  Intramural sprint triathlon, 2 Olympic triathlons

WEIGHT LOSS:  Started at 245 and am currently at 229

I am young, hardworking, and stick to training plans really well. I do a lot of research and I also communicate/e-mail all the time.

Chris,

Welcome aboard. Watch out, once you do the olympic distance, anything seems possible!

2011-04-14 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3447653

User image

South Florida

Chris,

Welcome aboard. Watch out, once you do the olympic distance, anything seems possible

AGREED! Once the Sprint's and Olympic's become easy, you'll start wanting to charter into the dark side of Triathlon. The Half Iron and Full Iron Distance. You say now, you have no intentions of doing such crazy thing, but just you wait. Especially if you hang out in this Mentor Program. Both Eli and I are know being a glutton for punishment!

Edited by nvalaitis 2011-04-14 8:34 PM
2011-04-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3447718

User image

Regular

This is funny hopefully I'll be at this point in a year or so!

nvalaitis - 2011-04-14 9:23 PM

Chris,

Welcome aboard. Watch out, once you do the olympic distance, anything seems possible

AGREED! Once the Sprint's and Olympic's become easy, you'll start wanting to charter into the dark side of Triathlon. The Half Iron and Full Iron Distance. You say now, you have no intentions of doing such crazy thing, but just you wait. Especially if you hang out in this Mentor Program. Both Eli and I are know being a glutton for punishment!

2011-04-14 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3446084

User image

Regular

Just bought a suit tonight and I'm sitting in it now haha just trying it on. Its a 2xu compression it has a nice chamois in it normally 190$ LBS had a 25% off coupon for one item so about 150 for it. I've seen cheaper on amazon.com. Go try some on at whatever Local options you have then hit the internet to save money. Only reason I bought local was the coupon and I like to support the local stores for a couple purchases a year and other things I can't get online like shoes due to fitting issues. I have two pairs of tri shorts that I do my swim training and sometimes biking or brick workouts in. A couple pairs of tri shorts and even a bike jersey could be thrown on in T1 real quick then stripped off in T2 without slowing you down. I plan on a race # belt too.

TriColby - 2011-04-14 9:21 AM Would it be worth the money to invest in a trisuit, or does it really make a difference?  I only own board shorts for swimming anyway, so i need something to swim in, but I was not sure if it was necessary or a good investment.  They look pretty cool, and I could totally see myself feeling ready to tear it up while wearing one, but they are not cheap.  Any thoughts on them?

2011-04-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3446833

User image

Regular

divide out the membership and do the math, if I remember right I'd have to do like 4 usat events to break even, don't think I'll do that in my first year maybe 2 and a couple others that aren't usat.

TriColby - 2011-04-14 2:03 PM Time to pull the trigger.  Should I sign up for the My First with a .4K swim, or the Sprint with a .75K swim?  I have 9 weeks to train in the pool?  That should be enough, right?  And it is a USAT event, would I be better off buying the membership for the year, or the 1 time $10 fee?

2011-04-14 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3447300

User image

Regular

Pretty sure you can convert further into the year.

TriColby - 2011-04-14 4:38 PM
eliwashere - 2011-04-14 4:21 PM

The only difference is the swim yes, but I figured I may as well go all out.  I am pretty confident that I can swim that distance.  But I am still thinking about it.  

As for the membership, I have 4 slated for the year, though I have not done one yet at all, so I guess I will hold off until I have completed one?  I just didn't know if there were any other benefits to it.

2011-04-14 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3447741

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
grownassman161 - 2011-04-14 9:39 PM

This is funny hopefully I'll be at this point in a year or so!

nvalaitis - 2011-04-14 9:23 PM

Chris,

Not sure if I'll ever convince myself to do a full.  Although last year I never thought I would attempt a HIM, and right now i have 2 on my schedule.   Although to be honest I am pretty sure I don't want to spend the time needed to train for a full.  That is a huge commitment for sure.  Plus I swam the HIM distance today, and not sure I could stand being in the water that long.  I wasn't tired but extremely bored.

Edited by chmoore2 2011-04-14 9:18 PM
2011-04-15 5:54 AM
in reply to: #3446407

User image

Griffin, Georgia
eliwashere - 2011-04-14 11:16 AM

billeckert - 2011-04-14 8:00 AM Played prop at Georgia Tech right after getting out of the Army.  Started Rugby at 205 and got down to 195 while playing.  Have never seen those weights since.

What years? I played for Tulane from 1991-1995. We played you all at a couple of tournaments.

Played only one year.  1987.  Moved to far away from campus (30 miles one way) and just got too busy with school and working.  I know, excuses, excuses.  Wish I would have played more.  It was a great time.

2011-04-15 7:37 AM

User image

Ocala
Well, its official, no turning back, I am signed up for my first race in June.  I hope I don't regret it, but I went with the Sprint over the shorter swim.  I just couldn't do the shorter one for some reason, I guess I wanted the challenge.  Oh well, hitting the pool and the bike this weekend.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20