BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-04-29 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3473868

Regular
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-OPEN
I take it that's the face in question, what a trooper!

2011-04-29 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Welcome Brad, Steve, and Stephanie.

Stephanie you are hardcore. It takes alot of guts to have a bike wreck, and get up, get back on the bike and finish the race. It says a lot more when you can say you still LOVED the race. I can relate to that a bit. Last May I travelled down to Knoxville, TN for the Rev3 Knoxville Olympic Tri and ended up supermanning over the handlebars. Fortunately I stayed off my head, and didn't break anything. But when I decided to get back on the bike and then gut out a 10K looking like a zombie (and having someone at the aid station wrap my hands on the run), finishing that race was an amazing feeling!

http://andyrosebrook.blogspot.com/2010/05/this-weekend-i-had-very-i...
2011-04-29 9:40 PM

New user

Hi Andy,

Is there still room for one more in your group?

I'm a newbie, 41 and have signed up for the Olympic Rev3 in June.  I attended a Multi sport conference in Boston MA about a month ago and loved it. ? ?I would love the advice of someone who's been were I am now.

Thanks,

Susan

2011-04-29 9:48 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hi Susan. Welcome aboard. REV3 Quazzy is a great time and hopefully I'll see you there. Great lake for the swim and a nice family friendly location at the mini amusement park. Make sure you are ready for some hills on the bike and run. No monsters but alot of rollers. You can see my race report form last year.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Edited by southwestmba 2011-04-29 9:51 PM
2011-04-29 10:42 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Tom

I'll be honest I've never been a huge HR training fan for the run. I find HR training to be great for the bike and my HR zones stay somewhat in line with my Perceived exertion levels. But with the run my HR zones and perceived exersion levels never seem to line up. Most people who start HR training find it very hard to keep a run in zone 2. Since my athletic background was as a runner, I tend to trust my PE levels when it comes to running. What I eventually figured out is all HR zones are not created equal.

Take the typical age adjusted HR zones, the standard zones you will find posted in the gym (220-Age x 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, and 50%) this might be good as a guideline for someone just starting out, however it does fit everyone. According to that formula my max heart rate should be 179 bpm but I routinely will hit 190s doing a zone 5 interval set. Obviously that can throw things off a bit. What I'd suggest it do a max effort 5K and take your HR data for that effort and then base your zones off that (using the LT method). Using different methods My run zone 2 in 135-148 using the Karvonen method (uses the difference between max heart rate and resting heart rate) while my swim zone 2 is 110-129 using the Age Adjusted method. (The BT HR zone feature lets you calculate your zones via 4 different methods). Also note you have different LT hr for biking, swimming, and running.

Coach Jorge has some good methods for determining your LT for the bike and run, I'll try and hunt down those links for everyone.

Andy
2011-04-29 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Phaethon, nice job with the swimming today! You asked about whether it is best to break the sets up or just do them in one shot. Breaking the swim up into shorter intervals allows you to rest between sets and maintain your effort level and focus your on your form. If you want to build swim muscules doing hard intervals with rest is better than a long steady swim. However, once you start to get the TI concepts down doing a long continuous swim is benifical since it teaches you is keep your form together as you start to get tired. As you get tired your form tends to go first, so long swims focusing less on speed and more on form help alot.

I actually do run-swim bricks to emphasize form a bit more. I run for an hour or so and then hit the pool and swim 2150 yards straight just focusing on long smooth, strokes, body position, and swimming "downhill" starting out fatigued. That helps me in my longer swims (HIMs and IMs). Now understand, I am not an ace swimmer and my goal is to get through the swim level feeling as fresh as possible so I can go to work on the bike.

Some of the better swimmers certainly are welcome to chime in.

Andy

2011-04-30 9:29 AM

I rode my bike for 17 miles and then ran 5k this morning.  I went to the place were my event is going to be with 5 other people doing the event.  It was really enjoyable.  Nice cool morning.

I have a couple of biking questions:

Is there any reason to stay seated while youre going up a hill or is it better to stand up to peddle harder?

I dont have aero bars, just an older bike.  At what speed is it best to "get low" and hold the bottom part of the curved handle bars. 

2011-04-30 12:36 PM

Tuna,

You should probably get some clip on aero bars. They can be had for under $100, and they make a big form difference (I actually prefer the riding position on them). Did 30 miles this morning on the bike, and they were a big help.

Andy,

I agree with your idea of doing a run-swim brick. It's amazing how much difference technique makes, as IMO the swim portion is really just about conserving energy (you won't win or lose in the first 10% of the race). Focusing on form and conserving energy and not so much speed will probably be the best. My question would be on pool vs open water training. Is it about an even trade (ie. 1 mile in the pool=1 mile in open water)? Or is open water a lot more difficult because you have no walls or lines?

2011-04-30 1:27 PM

I want in!  (If there's room!)

Name: IronDiva/Erika.  I'm 29 and live in Sunnyside (Queens), NY.

Story: This is my third tri season.  I grew up in Santa Rosa, CA, watching my mom swim on Vineman relay teams every year.  I trained myself for my first half-marathon in 2008, and after establishing that confidence in running decided to race my first tri in 2009.  It was the NYC tri and it got me totally hooked.  I raced 4 oly's that season, then moved to HIM distance in 2010.  I did Barb's Race (all-womens HIM on the Vineman course) and Toughman last season, and am now addicted to HIM distance.  I think it provides just enough of a challenge while not requiring the immense training hours I'd need to put in for full IM distance.  (Although...maybe someday!)  I work a day job in NYC, and am also an opera singer who gigs around the area when I have the chance.  Hence my log-in name.  Between 9-to-5ing and auditioning/performing/all other musical activities, it's really tough for me to squeeze in training, so this group being led by a self-coached athlete who finds time to get the training done for long course races really appealed to me!

Family Status: Single

Training Status: I was originally planning for Rev3 Quassy, but then did an indoor tri this winter which scored me a slot for Escape from Alcatraz!!!  So I'll be going home in June for that race.  My major HIM will be Timberman in VT, and I hope to fit at least one, ideally two, more in (Tinman?  Syracuse?  RI?  Toughman again?) before October.  Final planning is on hold pending potential singing gigs.  And lots of running races and open water races in between (doing NY Road Runner 9+1 program to get a marathon spot for 2012).

Weight loss: I'm pretty happy with my weight but, like most women, wouldn't be opposed to losing a few pounds.  

My main hope in joining this group is making my workouts more effective in small amounts of time (especially on the bike), and keeping motivated and honest in logging my training!  My PR for HIM is 6:19 from last year, would love to go under 6 this season.  I also bought a big-girl tri bike this year (was racing on a road bike my first 2 seasons) so am excited to see how that changes my races.

2011-04-30 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Welcome Erika.

Thats awesome you got into Alcatraz, that one of those race I really want to do. Good luck and that should be a blast. I have done Timberman and IM RI 70.3 and I really liked Timberman plus I got a photo and Autograph with Chrissy Wellington after the race. She is awesome, all the other pros were hanging out together and she was out in the Transition area hanging with the ace grouper.
IM RI was pretty fun, I did it the first year and it was really, really hott on the run, but I heard they are changing the course this year so my race report might not be good intel anymore. IM Poccanos 70.3 is another race to take a look at late season.
2011-04-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3474811

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Tuna

As far a hill climbing, while there are some who would tell you to stay seated at all times, I like to get out of the seat on short climbs and will alternate on longer climbs 5 min seated, 5 min standing. The real key is too make sure you drop into a nice easy gear as early as possible and keep a nice consistent and quick turnover. IF you try and mash too high a gear at the bottom of the hill you will burn out your legs and it is easy to drop a chain when dropping to a higher gear when you are under heavy tension. So the fewer shifts on the hill the better. Starting in a gear that feel too easy allows you to spin up to the top of the hill and save your legs. Plus I really love passing someone in my granny gear

As far as getting low. When you are feeling alot of wind smacking you in the chest, that is a good time to get lower. (You make your own wind as you go faster.) I've heard 18-19 mph is where the drag starts to make a difference. Clip on aerobars are a good investment which can make a nice difference, but you don't need them. I did my first four season and first two Ironmans without aerobars. In fact, they actually mentioned that my bike was the only one without aerobars during the Kona Bike count.

Andy

2011-04-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3471975

Regular

Good read, hip! We all make mistakes, but not all of us learn from them. You did some good things the past few years, keep it up!

My wife bought me Joe Friel's "Your First Triathlon" as well as "The Triathlete's Training Bible"; I don't recall telling my wife about these books, but of all the books out there, these would be the ones I would of purchased! The Lord works in mysterious ways. I find "Your First Triathlon" very encouraging, taking some of the mystery of what to expect in my first tri out of the equation, and of course anxiety about the unknown. It's funny, I haven't even leafed through the Bible yet, I don't feel worthy! I'm still learning from the first book...well, good luck with things!

2011-04-30 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3474452

Regular
Thanks Andy, 'preciate it! Your run/swim brick sounds intriguing, I might do an abbreviated one tomorrow...
2011-04-30 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3474276

Hi Phaethon!  Swimming is my strength in tri (but please note I am NOT a coach so take my advice with a grain of salt), so I'm going to very humbly provide my opinions.  

I'd say, just like running or cycling, it's good to mix up the workouts.  Sometimes do longer efforts, sometimes do intervals.  I am very comfortable in the water and finishing a distance swim is not something I worry about, so I'd say I do 1500+ nonstop in the pool maybe once every 2 months, just to compare times.  But if it's going to make you more comfortable knowing you can swim without stopping, maybe do that more often!

Something I really like doing in the pool when it's a "longer" set day (like 400 repeats or something) is pick up the pace every 4th length.  It breaks up the monotony, helps me keep count, AND teaches me to sprint then actively recover (as opposed to stopping at the wall).  So here are just a couple ideas for 1200-yd workouts to avoid boredom!

200yd warm-up (50 swim/50 kick/50 pull/50 swim), 400 swim (sprint every 4th 25), 400 swim (50 easy/50 hard), 100 sprint for time, 100 verrry slow cool down.

200yrd warm-up (same as above), 4x50 "pick-ups" (start slow and build to a sprint by last 10 yds or so), 100 easy, 10x50 repeats at your first 50s time plus 15 seconds, 200 pull cool down.

300yd warm-up (kick every 4th length), 800 non-stop "LoCo" (25 easy/25 hard, 50 easy/50 hard, 75 easy/75 hard, 100 easy/100 hard, 75 easy/75 hard, 50 easy/50 hard, 25 easy/25 hard), 100 pull cool down.

...I could go on, but I'm just sort of making these up as I type.  You'd probably need to modify a bit, to build in more laps for the TI drills.  I'm pretty sure he also doesn't advocate kicking/pulling as part of the workout, although I'm not super familiar with his technique, so maybe you'd modify that as well.  But I hope maybe I inspired some creativity in the pool for you!

e

2011-04-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3475247

Thanks for the welcome, Andy!  I'm really hoping Chrissie comes back for Timberman this year; I would love to meet her.  And I'm excited to hopefully get photo ops with Leanda and Crowie (among others) after "escaping" in June.  I may be in Europe from September onward (70.3 Aix-en-Provence, anyone?  I wish) so am hesitant to consider later races, although Poconos looks like a gorgeous course.
2011-05-01 12:02 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group
Steven

Open water swimming introduces a few variables that you need to be aware of which can make things more difficult. As far as distance goes, I find swimming in open water easier since I don't have my rhythm broken every 25 yards when i hit the wall. The main things you have to get used to and practice is sighting, navigation, and turns.

Most people who swim in the pool navigate off that nice black line down the lane which they can always see, so swimming straight isn't a problem. In open water you don't have those cues. You have to 1) get used to sighting off you fellow swimmers and 2) finding the next buoy and swimming as straight a path as possible. I've seen plenty of folks (Including myself) add alot of extra distance to their swim because they drift to the left pick up the wrong buoy. I've been responsible for leading a whole group of 8-10 people into the beach at one race, (I had an excuse I'm blind as a bat without my glasses). Bottom line you need to get used to popping your head up and locating your target every 10 strokes or so. Factors such as sunrise, current, and waves can make that more interesting, but stay calm follow the swimcaps and feet when in doubt try to sight while on top of the waves and sight more frequently when there is a current so you can stay on course.

Another challenge in Open Water Swimming are the turns. You get used to hiting the wall and doing a 180 in the pool but how often do you do a 90 degree turn. It is something you need to practice. Ideally you want to sweep around it at a shallow angle and not have to take it tight and turn 90 degrees in one shot cause you lose all your momentum and likely will get run into as the entire field who spread out allways seem to funnel down to one tight mass of humanity right on top of the turn buoy. If you are uncomfortable in traffic, it pays to go wide and well around the main traffic lane and though you may add a little distance you stay in rhythm and avoid getting jostled and beaten.

Main thing about open water swimming is to stay calm and keep your head. It can be very hectic at times (especially the beginning) , and the swim is a full contact event , just remember most of the time it is not intentional. Stay calm and and llok for an opportunity to swim to open water. At the start I try to envision where the choke points are and how every one is lining up and then I choose a course that will avoid then mess as much as possible.

Hope that helps

Andy

2011-05-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3475354

Regular
Thanks ID! I appreciate your time and input. I think mixing it up is a good thing too, don't want things to get monotonous. I like your idea of picking it up on the 4th length, that might stick in my head; honestly, on long swims, I'm doing fine and the next thing I know it's 'Where am I??'. I usually punish myself by adding an extra length; lucky I'm a masochist.
2011-05-01 8:43 AM

Regular

I have more questions!

I plan on being regular with my events, how many should I do a year? How much time should I take off after an event? How many sprints should I do before I graduate to...Olys, is it? Whatever distance is next! Thanks in advance...

2011-05-01 9:54 AM

Andy, I appreciate the biking instruction.   Im going to start dropping into a lower gear on hills and see how that works. 

I have had a problem in the past with a pinched nerve in my elbow that made the inside of my lower arm go numb, so I dont think Ill get the aero bars.   My left arm will not go completely straight, so I cant  lock my elbows.  As long as things are feeling okay with the elbow Im going to stay as is for now.  I have wondered if the bars would remove stress from my elbow.  If I ever buy a newer bike I may try them. 

I have swam some open water swims in the lake just for fun.  When your goggles get fogged and you are swimming towards the sun it is hard to see.  I read somewhere that washing your goggles with dishwashing soap was an effective way to prevent fogging.  It does work.  I swam in the lake over Easter and washing them before hand and it made a big difference.  Tuna

2011-05-01 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hey everyone,
Sorry I haven't been around... work and training have been crazy.  I am recovering from my 12 mile run this past weekend as I start my taper for my early season marathon.  I am thinking about trying to pace a 5:00 marathon but I am worried about putting myself under that much pressure when my main race is really my Ironman in September.

As for our weather, it has been up and down.  Lots of rain but none of that S word   The wind has been very bad the past few days.

I'll read some of the last posts tonight at work when I have some free time!
2011-05-01 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
May 1st means 40% off all TRISWIM TRISLIDE & FOGGLE products using code: MAY140FBTW at www.sbrsportsinc.com or www.triswimbeauty.com

These folks are one my my team's sponsors. TriSwim Shampoo and Conditioner is one of the best products I've used to get that chlorine smell out of your hair and skin. They also make Foggle which is a great anti-fogging wipe for goggles and sunglasses and tri slide which is body glide on steroids and is wet suit safe. That a look and give them a try at 40% off.

Andy

2011-05-01 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
For reference only:

My first year I did 4 sprints.
My second year I did a marathon, 3 sprints and an Olympic.
My third year I did a marathon, 2 Half Ironmans, and a bunch of sprints.
My fourth year I did a marathon, 2 HIMs, a ton of sprints, and ended the season with an Ironman.
Basically I have done an Ironman a year since then and 1-3 HIMs a year.

I cut back on my racing when my wife started working more as the weekends are her high volume times. I took my time stepping up in distance and building my base up which certainly helped fight off burn out and injuries. As far as how many races in a season, see how well you recover. Shorter races, shouldn't take long to recover from, so you can do sprints several weeks in a row with no problem. As far as stepping up in distance, you probably can step up to an Olympic pretty quickly is you are comfortable covering the distances on your weakest leg. I'd take a bit more time stepping up to a HIM and Ironman. BUilding a base is vital for races which take 5-7 hours (HIM) or 12-17 hours (IM) and if you don't have a strong one those run can be really ugly (trust me).

Personally, I found once I had built the base that I recover pretty quickly. Chornilogically, I have done a HIM and Half Marathon on back to back weeks, two HIMs in the same month, a marathon and a HIM in 13 days (PR for my HIM), two hilly HIMS in two weeks, a hilly Oly and HIM on back to back days, and this year I plan to do a hilly Oly and HIM double one weekend followed by another HIM the next weekend. Those are the insane challenges I set for myself to keep things exciting. Of course rising to those challenges and surprising yourself can be very rewarding. Particularly when I can look back to my first sprint, which I had to get off and walk my bike bike up a hill and took everything I had to finish.

Andy
2011-05-01 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3476326

Regular
Thanks Andy, that gives me a basic outline of possibilities. I really wanted to get involved with a IM in my 50th year, you know, the big 5-0, but that might be biting off more than I can chew. A HIM would be a nice accomplishment though; I can imagine on my birthday blowing out the candles (shirtless, of course) and accepting only a small piece of cake because I'm in training for a Half Iron Man...Cool
2011-05-01 9:54 PM

Hey - got room for another? Newbie to triathlons... I've got a sprint on July 10th, a 150 mile ride later that month, and then another sprint in mid August. Been biking during the summers the last couple years - was losing weight and enjoyed being outdoors instead of in my basement with P90x! I swam like a fish as a kid - grew up on a lake... thought that would be my strong suit (until I hit the pool a few weeks back!). And my young English setter likes to run so much, I started going on short jogs with him... and then the jogs got a bit longer.

And after realizing I was good at swimming (at one point in my life), enjoyed biking, and could run... well - a triathlon seemed like a good idea to keep myself focused & engaged in physical activity. I've been "training" for the last month and feel like I'm coming along well. I really enjoy researching and learning via reading... and damn - there's a lot to read on triathlons, and each individual sport!!!

Ben.

2011-05-01 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hello Ben. I think we can sqeeze you in to the group.

Andy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14