Revolution 3
74F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 50m 4s
Overall Rank = 90/384
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/50
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Quazzy on Friday morning and got in about 2:00pm. Helped out at the Trakkers booth, and caught up with some of my teamamates and checked in then dropped off my bike in transition. Ran into Richie Cuttingham and Mike Lavato who stopped and talked with me a bit before heading out on a run. That is one of the coolest things about Rev 3, the prop are everywhere and very accessable and really nice people. Great treat to experience a race like this. Drove the course with Kelly and Kelly and saw there were alot of hills. Then headed out to find the hotel in Merdian and got some groceries and dinner, and then found the hotel didn't have VS so I could watch the Flyers so i had to go to bed. Got up at 5:00am strugged with my race belt snaps (shot one across the room and couldn't find it0, then packed up and drove to Quassy. Got there about 6:15, and had plenty of time to set up my area and get in my wetsuit before heading down to the water. They booted us all out of transition at 6:40 but i was already heading to the beach.
Event warmup:

Walked to the swim out and got a short 10 min swim and goggle adjustment. Water was very nice. Then got in the start corral and waited for the start since i was in the first wave.
Swim
  • 27m 47s
  • 1728 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Everyone was bunched up on the far left by the fence which took you right over the swim area buoys, so I went out right (inside of the loop as well and started out there and stayed out of most the traffic early on. First OWS since the accident so I wasn't really wanting to take any rib shots and was still unsure how my hands and left wrist would hold up. I cruised through the first third and stayed clear of an contact at all and found myself right on the bouys on the way out. Going across the lake I actually tried to follow some feet and it work well until the feet started weaving off course. Again hit the turn buoy dead on and then turned for home. Stayed smooth and relaxed the whole way and had a bit of a problem findng the swim out arch but navigating off the hats on the insdie worked well and finally the sound dialed me in. Good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not a bad swim considering I only swam for 20 min since my wreck a month ago. Had to swim with my ring on (Not such i could get it off and on in transition with my knuckles still swollen up) which caused me to not fully open my left hand to make sure it didn't try and come off.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

Long run up to transition, but was carpetted. Took my time and got out of my wetsuit fairly smoothly. Did forget to strp up my right bike shoe and had to risk getting run over to stop and take care of that on the way out.

Take care of my bike shoes before heading out.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 45s
  • 25.8 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Knowing I had a HIM tommorrow, I just cruised along but never really pushed the pace. Shifted early on the hills and spun up as much as possible. There was a weird part right at the beginning when we were on the wrong side of the road. Are you supposed to stay right when riding in the wrong direction? I almost automatically went to the side of the road, but it made me think. Seeing people pasisng on the left and right in this section was bizzare. Fortunately we were off that section of road in about a mile. Kelly's husband (Kelly) passed me about 4-5 miles in and about 10 miles late he passes me again (appartently he dropped a chain on on of the climbs). The short steep climb up to Rt 63 was mean (fortunately i knew it was coming) and the only other hill I messed up on was the up and down and up in the middle where I started standing too soon and didn't downshift enough and really hard to grind out the end of the hill in way to high a gear standing (should have dropped to the small ring but since Black bear I don't shift to the small ring while standing anymore). There was a great stretch on the way back with a gradual incline coming past some farm houses which i was flying past people just hammer which felt awesome. Good ride went from 121 OA to 72 and 24 in my AG to 12th in a ride i wasn't working too hard. Drank a bottle of EFS, a few swings every 20 min or so.

Make sure I'm in the small ring at the bottom of a hill with a steep section, so i don't have to grind too much, spinning a good cadence in an easy gear is much faster than staining on a a big gear and not having enough turnover to shift down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Decent transition, still not good getting the tire into the ground racks and had a bobble finding my row (stopped one row too early for a few seconds. Got some EFS, sprayed on some sunscreen and was off.

All my transition stuff was wet from the rain, should have covered my shoes better. Wet shoes are a good thing.
Run
  • 53m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Got going, felt my legs were slowly coming to me. Had the 4th place woman in front of my and just tried to keep her in sight. The Trakkers Team Aid Station just after mile 1 was only of the hightlights of the weekend. You could hear them 1/4 mile away and then really pumped me up. I was going well until the hills started after the turnaround. The hills were just a grind especially after the hilly bike ride and I slowed my pace down. I had a few people pass me but i caught the (former 4th place) woman and crusied along well. The last mile was about 3/4 mile of a hill up, up and under the main road, then around the corner and a quarter mile to the finish. Did have a coach run with her athlete down the stretch (which is a penatly as dicussed yesterday in the athlete meeting). Good run but did sell out since I was still saving for the half.

Push the hills more consistantly.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and Muscle Milk and then went over to the ART tents and got my right hip would on a bit. That helped, should have worked on my hammies as well. Then got my food and brought my bike to my car before coming back to hang with my Trakker's teammate before the First Endurance giveaway.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing a HIM the next day and not getting a good month's worth of training due to the Knoxville wreck.

Event comments:

Great race. Great volunteers, challenging course, great lake for swimming and great family activities plus the chance to hang out with and meet so many pros including Craig Alexander, Miranda Carefree, Julie Dibens, and of course Mike, Richie, and Carole.
Great race

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:47 | 1728 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/50
Overall: 109/384
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise triangle in a very nice, warm, and clean spring fed lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:45 | 25.8 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/384
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hills, hills, rolling hills, and a couple short steep climbs for fun. Loop around the East Side of the lake on open roads. Not alot of flats and many scarry downhill turns especially thanks to the wet roads. Not monstorous but constant hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:46 | 06.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/384
Performance: Average
Course: Very hilly course again. Through the neighborhood south of the lake. Started downhill, then gradualy uphill to a turn around then 3 good hills over the last 2.5 miles including the long finishing hill under the mainroad, then back to the park. Challenging course but was mostly shaded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes