BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-04-18 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Open for seating
Hey Steve! Just wanted to drop by and see how things went for you today in Boston! I'm sure you crushed it!!!

2011-04-18 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Conanzchick!  Glad to see you here.  And Jenny, you too!

Hi Ceril, welcome!  That in-gym tri actually sounds fairly long for a sprint, so should be really good to set you up for the next one.  I wonder how many of us sort of come alive around 40?  Seems like this is a pretty healthy outlet for our collective mid - life crises .  Nice that you have good family support!

Baowolf, wondering how your day went??  Didn't know you bib #, so couldn't track you...should have asked. 

Also, remembering you asked about my dogs running.  I have one that is pretty high energy.  But she's very serious about squirrels, and runs with her tend to be more upper body workouts than anything.  She also doesn't last too long...especially as it gets warmer.  I haven't been taking her much lately, and feel really guilty when the other dog owners in the park ask me where she is.  My hubby is taking her for walks in the evenings, so he is probably winning her over.

Edited by squirt 2011-04-18 9:44 PM
2011-04-19 6:48 AM

New user

Oh and Cheri ran Boston too!!  How did you do???  Can't wait to hear her and Steve's stories!!
2011-04-19 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Hey group,

Do you have enough room for one more?  I am actually in another group, but they aren't true beginners.  They just "begin again" each season.  I think I'd feel better in a group  where silly questions aren't so silly 'cuz everyone is mostly newbies.

First name: Karen

How long you have been training for Triathlons: December 2010

Family Status (married, single, number of children)Married, second time's a charm! 16 year old daughter, 11 year old son BOth are very active, husband isn't.

Date of upcoming race and type of race: 4 mile Easter Beach run (just for fun with daughter)

May 7 Sprint Tri- Danskin Tri Orlando

June 19 Sprint Tri-Marineland (OWS-ocean oh my!)

July 23(I think) Club med Sprint tri

Then I switch over to train for my first Marathon-Marine Corps in D.C. October

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week:I've logged a few, feel free to look. Runs now are shorter- usually 20-40 min runs.  Still like to do long runs on Sunday. Swim-ha! Can't get past 1/2 mile very s-l-o-w-l-y. Bike- depends on the training plan 12 mile, or 60 min have gone as far as 24 mile rides.

Do you have a weight loss goal: 10 more stubborn pounds

Are you run/bike or swim focused:Speed focused since I have none in any sport. I'd like to sustain a 9 1/2 min mile for long runs (10+ miles) I'd like to get stronger at biking in a headwind. (That slows my 18mph to a slow 13-15 mph)

Just watched my first Tri this past weekend.  I'd suggest to anyone thinking about tri'ing, to see one.  You learn a lot waching the transitions. -Karen

2011-04-19 4:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hey gang I am back and alive.  I wanted to start by saying a warm welcome to our group to: Kate, Cheri, Dawn, Ceril, Kenzie and Karen (appoligies for any spelling errors).

I will get a full race report up tonight or tomorrow.  I can tell you an awful lot about how not to do Boston. So here are some cliff notes:

Ok so I was on California time, so trying to fall asleep at 6:30 pm my time just wasn't cutting it on Sunday night.  I tossed and turned until 4am or for me 1am.  First thing is that if you have not driven in Boston and tried to find parking.... allow extra time.  I found a parking place and got to the bus around 5:45 am.  It was cold, air temp 30, 15 mph wind = windchill of much colder.  Don't trust the weatherman!  Ok at around 6:45 the busses dump us off at a high school field, soaking wet from the rain they had the night before and completely exposed to the wind.  I had only my mylar blanket for protection and shivered for 3 1/2 hours straight.  I now know what muscles you use to shiver and some of them are important for running.  I somehow survive until the race starts and I am in the first wave.  There were sooo many people.  Once I started running I warmed up quickly enough, but the shivering had taken its toll even before the race started.  At mile 9 the outside of my thighs started burning... not a good sign.  It was then that I knew that I would not be setting a PR today and that I was in for a very long run.  At mile 13 my right side started cramping followed by my left side at mile 16.  I was only drinking 2 ounces of water every 2 miles and cut back water to 2 onuces every 4 miles... and then no water as the side cramps got to the point where I was pausing between breaths from the pain from mile 20 on.  I also stopped Gu's from mile 20 on, I couldn't chance the pain making me walk and decided I would risk the dehydration and lack of calories.  The hardest part about the Boston marathon is not that it has steep hills (other than not bringing a snowmobile suit for the prerace fun) is that you are always going up or down, there really isn't any flat.  So as muscle groups started going, right hip mile 16, left hip mile 18, middle front thighs mile 20, right calf mile 22, left calf mile 23, my goals slipped from a PR, to just a BQ qualifying time for next year.  With both calves in nearly full cramp I did manage to remain jogging through to the finish with a little over 1 minute to spare for the BQ time.  Clearly not the race I wanted and not a PR, but a whole lot of suck it up and get it done with knowing what to do differently should I go back some day to do it right. 

Anyway, sorry for the long read.  I will catch up on the posts of our newer members over then next day or two. 

For now, what is the hardest physical activity you have ever done?  This could be a 5k, jogging that first 1 mile, swimming your first 100 yards, hiking 10 miles, anything, it does not have to be tri specific, just put it out there, what is the hardest physically challenging activity you have ever done?

Also, please log all your activities on the BT web under "training log" so I can check on your progress and provide any feedback I can on how to do things better or whatever.

Did I mention that after finishing the marathon I got on a plane at 4pm...1 of the planes got delayed and I ended up getting home at 6am or 7am (est).  May do that differently next time too.  One of those things where it may not be the best idea to save $ on your travel plans.

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-19 4:53 PM
2011-04-19 6:06 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Oh I looked at the race results section and 1522 people at the race finished sub 3:00:00.. just wow. Another nearly 1500 finished in the next 10 minutes after that.  Just fun to be with such an amazing group of athletes. 

Oh and I got to pass they Hoyt family and pat the father on the back.  He is the one who does IM triathlons with his parapalegic son.  His wife, or a lady around his age with a Hoyt name on was out in front of them. 

2011-04-19 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3455409

User image

Veteran

Welcome back Steve. Boston sounds like it was possibly the most physically challenging event for you. I am impressed and inspired by the way you pushed through to the end, making new goals on the way, and accomplishing them. If I were in your shoes I am not so sure I would have handled the challenge as well; I would have been pretty disappointed. Great Job! I hope you get a chance to do it again and have a sweet finish.

The most physically challenging thing I have done is mountain biking Slickrock in Moab, UT. It was during spring break last year and it was a warm day with lots of sunshine. The ride is just over 14 miles long, if you do the warm-up loop, with lots of steep uphill and down hill. It was one of the greatest rides I have ever done, but it worked me good. We had about an hour left until we reached the car and I nearly bonked. Thankfully a friend had some GU. It was my first time eating GU and it tasted amazing. If I remember correctly we road Slickrock after having biked another trail in the morning too, so I was already warmed up. It was so much fun!

I have been logging my workouts and I look forward to feedback! Happy Day!

2011-04-19 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Yes Boston is in my top 3 for most physical and mental decipline required to finish the race.  I would probably go Boston, Redding Marathon and then Vineman 2009.  It is really wierd that the intensity of running faster for the marathons can result in feeling physically more spent than going at a slower pace for longer in an IM, but there it is. 

I am so happy that I have done some IM's because that is what that marathon felt like, the marathon after the swim and bike.  You just register what is giving way, buck up your mental focus and have faith that you will be able to hold up to the end, adjust nutrition and hydration and goals as needed.  My goals went from 3:15 to 3:20 to 3:30, but I really wanted to not have to walk that last mile.  I was not so sure I could do it, but my goal is always to not walk... just keep one foot in front of the other.  I did have to backfill my fluilds after the race with about 80 ounces over the next 2hours. 

The bike ride sounds challenging.  It is good to keep in mind what you have survived and use it to get you through the hard points in races.  You say, "I had a rough time with that last 500 foot climb on the mountain bike, so joggin up this last 50 foot elevation gain and then finishing the run on my sprint at at least a 12:00 pace is duable." 

Hydration and nutrition are also key.  I was riding the edge of hydration and nutrition to avoid the side cramps, but it could have backfired on me.  Experience told me I that the temperature was cool enough and my training was sufficient to pull it off.  If it were 90F out I would have had to endure more side pain and stay hydrated or if the side pain was at mile 5 instead of getting really bad at mile 20 I would have had to just go really lite on the fluids every other mile to maintain.  There is a lot of strategy that changes form minute to minute.   

For your logs I like it when you put in what your walk jog program is (2 min walk, 2 min jog).  Your first goal I imagine is to get to 2 miles total, then probably 3 miles and then 1 minute walk 3 min jog and finally a whole mile jog.  Are you following a specific walk to run program?  There are some out there. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-19 6:38 PM
2011-04-19 6:37 PM

User image

Hey everyone, If there is still room for one more, I would really like to join.

First name: Steve

How long you have been training for Triathlons: I did my first tri, a sprint, in September 2010

Family Status: I'm single and just graduating from college this year.

Date of upcoming race and type of race: I'm planning on doing the Syracuse 70.3 in September, maybe another sprint along the way

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: I'm just about to start a new training plan, but as far as right now I'm doing about 8 miles running, 20 miles biking, and about 2000yds swimming a week

Do you have a weight loss goal: I'm looking to drop about twenty pounds between now and my race in September

Are you run/bike or swim focused: I really need to work on my running. I have struggled with shin splints for years, and I'm currently working with the track coach at my school to try and get a better technique.

As far as the hardest physical thing I've ever done, I would have to say it was my first head race during my first year on the crew team. It was a 6k race, and I have to say it just completely drained me like nothing else I've ever done. However, it didn't scare me away from rowing, and I was pretty bummed when I realized that I just couldn't fit rowing in to my schedule anymore. That was actually one of the big reasons I decided to do a triathlon.

2011-04-19 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome Steve, we have room for you and 4 more ish.  It sounds like your goals are agressive but duable.  You are right that 8 miles a week run and 20 miles a week bike is not goning to cut it for a HIM, but you have time.  Track coaches often cause shin splints.  First if you do not have a pair of good running shoes with the right amount of support, go to a reputable shoe store where they video you running on a treadmill, take more measurements and make sure your shoes are giving you enough support. By use I use Fleet Feet.  Then, you are going to want to build your run with more slower miles.  Your base does not currently support any speedwork.  Speedwork tends to contribute to shinsplints in a big way.  If you have any problems with your shins you need to ice them after every run, get something called a "foam roller" or a "marathon stick" to work out the knotted muscles in your shins to help with recovery.  Mostly though, build slowly, run at a comfortable pace and build your run miles to 30 miles per week with 4 runs ish per week depending on your plan.  Bike and swim are easier on your body to build, but you are looking at long swims of 3000 yards and a long bike of 65 ish miles and a long run of I would say 15 miles... eventually.  First find a plan and then build gradually.  Keep your logs up so I can bug you about them 8).  
2011-04-19 7:06 PM

User image

Thanks for your advice.

I should have explained a little more. The coach I am working with is both the track and cross country coach at my college, so he's been working with me mainly on my biomechanics for distance running. I think my shoes are ok for now, they are motion control shoes from a local store that did a stride analysis for me.

As far as recovery, I try to do ice massages after my runs as often as possible, so I'll definitely look into getting a foam roller too. I do have a plan picked out with longer distances, and I'm actually starting it this weekend. My current distances are more a function of just not having time rather than not being able to go further, but I know I have long way to go, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

2011-04-19 8:38 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Good to hear that you have a plan, that your shoes are appropriate and that your coach is distance oriented.  Are the shin splints that you experience on the outside of the shin bone or on the the inside?  The outside one is more muscle related and easier to fix.  The cure usualy includes decreasing miles significantly, walking instead of running for 2 to 3 weeks and then building back up slowly with no real intensity for another month.  That is usually enough to get back to your routine.  I know you may not have shin splints at the moment, I'm just talking about if they come back.  Often track coaches start with 400 repeats the first day of practice with no distance running to support the speedwork that results in shin splints and other not so fun things.  The problem is the coaches only have so much time to get the kinds in shape and then the season is over.  As you get older your body is less tollerant of unhealthy training practices. 

A couple key things to think about when considering a HIM is hydration and nutrition on the bike and run.  Do you currently have a good handle on that part or did you want some feedback?  A HIM is long enough that you can seriously bonk if you get behind or dont eat enough. 

2011-04-19 10:37 PM

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Open for seating 4 tables left.

Got room for a true newbie?

Name: Marc

Family Status: Married just about a year now and have a 9 year old daughter

Date of race: Hoping to do a sprint on Aug 7 and a OLY on Sept 10

Base: well start walking in Jan and have turned that into some running and hiking. Wanted to be ready for a 3.2 for 32 last Saturday and now trying to figure out how to turn this into more.

Weight loss goal: Whatever it brings! Started this journey at 260 around 240 now, every bit helps.

Focus: Would prefer bike of the 3, but have swam a long time ago and always dreaded running, but getting used to it slowly.

Hardest physical  thing I have ever done: Toss up at this point, I road a bike across the state of Iowa in a week in an event called RAGBRAI, avg about 70 miles a day. Ran/walked a 5K in 2009. Probably not in any shape do to either but found a way to plow through!

Quick story: played soccer about every day thru high school since then have done random sports here and there, mostly for fun with friends. Played rugby for about 5 years, and softball for a long time. After maxing out about 315lbs I started losing weight, then hovered around 260, then doc informed me I have diabetes, so its time to get serious. Have always thought of myself as athletic so my small steps so far are motivating a desire to get better at all 3 aspects. Im looking for some motivation and advice on how to get ready and anything and everything to get better.

2011-04-19 10:53 PM

User image

Congrats on Boston, Steve!! That is quite a war story! You are so right about using it to your advantage during future challenges. Looking forward to the full race report!

My toughest physical challenge was the Chicago Half Marathon about 7 years ago (even though I've done two marathons-and one in Hawaii, which was fairly hilly..) I started off on the wrong foot by going to the wrong location. I was young and fancy-free then, I guess...how do you not know where the race starts?! I took a bus to the musuem that I thought was the start line and there was not a soul in sight. I mean, no one anywhere, not even tourists. Then, from around a corner came another person in running gear equally as confused. We somehow discovered we were supposed to be at a completely different musuem, about 6 miles south. No car, no phone to call for a ride and about 20 minutes away from start time, we found a bus that took us straight there, miraculously! I joined the back of the crowd as the front was already crossing the start line!

It was in the middle of summer on a HOT day..probably upper 80s. The course was mainly concrete streets with no shade at all. For some reason I hadn't made a big deal out of this race so I had no supporters to cheer me on and wasn't racing with anyone. I was totally alone. People around me seemed to be dropping like flies the last couple of miles, including one man who was laying on the ground across the middle of the course, screaming at the top of his lungs in a foreign language and pointing at his feet. It's really an internal battle. Mind over matter. Like you said, you just keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually you'll get there. I felt so accomplished when I crossed that finish line!

2011-04-19 11:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Welcome to the group Marc. 

The main goal for you is to develop the habbit of exercizing daily.  Start out slower than you want to, fewer days than you think you should and build up slowly.  Triathlon is a lifestyle.  If you are not massively genetically gifted and younger it will take you years to get better at it.  For most folks weight gain comes slowly.  I did not lose any weight for the first 3 months when I first started training.  It was not until my workouts got longer than 1 hour that I finally started losing some weight.

Please keep your training logs up to date so I can bug you ... er give feedback.  Do you have a walk to run training plan and a tri specific training plan you are working with?

I am sure that if you stay in the sport long enough we will find you some tougher hardest physical days for you 8). 

2011-04-20 3:34 AM

User image

New user

Lubbock

I’m new to the concept of triathlon and new to the site. I would love your mentor group. Here is my info:

First name: Nathan but I go by Nate. Whichever you prefer.

How long you have been training for Triathlons: I have been training for triathlons for exactly one day now. I’ve been exercising consistently for the past four years and have hit a point of boredom. I need something new to motivate me.

Family Status (married, single, number of children) Divorced…2 Children

Date of upcoming race and type of race: June 25, 2011

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: Right now I run at the end of my workouts for a mile or two. No swimming or biking until I started this tri training. Still no swimming yet. That’ll be today.

Do you have a weight loss goal: Yes. I’d like to drop at least 20 pounds.

Are you run/bike or swim focused: No particular focus.

2011-04-20 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3455504

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Baowolf - 2011-04-20 7:06 AM

Oh I looked at the race results section and 1522 people at the race finished sub 3:00:00.. just wow. Another nearly 1500 finished in the next 10 minutes after that.  Just fun to be with such an amazing group of athletes. 

Oh and I got to pass they Hoyt family and pat the father on the back.  He is the one who does IM triathlons with his parapalegic son.  His wife, or a lady around his age with a Hoyt name on was out in front of them. 

You are so amazing! Even though you didn't get a PR, you still hung in there and met another goal.  With all the cramping, I don't know if I'd have the heart to continue. You would have found me onthe DNF list... You are my new hero! Congrats! Karen
2011-04-20 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3455933

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Big Tice O - 2011-04-20 4:34 PM

I’m new to the concept of triathlon and new to the site. I would love your mentor group. Here is my info:

First name: Nathan but I go by Nate. Whichever you prefer.

How long you have been training for Triathlons: I have been training for triathlons for exactly one day now. I’ve been exercising consistently for the past four years and have hit a point of boredom. I need something new to motivate me.

Family Status (married, single, number of children) Divorced…2 Children

Date of upcoming race and type of race: June 25, 2011

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: Right now I run at the end of my workouts for a mile or two. No swimming or biking until I started this tri training. Still no swimming yet. That’ll be today.

Do you have a weight loss goal: Yes. I’d like to drop at least 20 pounds.

Are you run/bike or swim focused: No particular focus.

I like you already Nate.  My 11 year old son's name is Nate. I love this group as there are numerous true "Newbies". Welcome! -Karen
2011-04-20 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Welcome to the group Nate.  That makes 13, 2 more ish and I will close the group so we can get down to business. 

Thanks Kate.  Someone made me laugh lastnight and my sides hurt soo bad, so ya the side aches were totally the shivering and not your typical side ache from too much water, eating the wrong food or other random breathing running issues.  Same with the outter thigh issue totally a muscle group I have never gotten abused in a race.  Still stiff today, may hit an easy bike ride tonight on the trainer.   

I still haven't heard from some folks about their hardest physical effort ever...taps foot expectantly. 

For those who have answered that question, your goal outside of your training is to 1) think of a question you have about triathlon and post it, like was does BOP mean, what is a Brick, what on earth is a reverse tri, where to I line up to start my first 5k, what is GU, how do you use a heart rate monitor whatever,  and 2) inspire one of other person in this group for what they have been doing workout wise or on what they are going through in RL that makes working out harder, weight loss, anything. 

2011-04-20 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Nate I am not sure what race you are thinking of, maybe a Sprint tri.... do you have a training plan picked out that you are starting to use?  Make  sure you keep your logs up so I can check on your progress.

Ah there it is a sprint with a longer than usual bike. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-20 10:14 AM
2011-04-20 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Kenzie- Great story! Does show us that we can perservere.

I started my "this time I am really going to measure my food and be good" diet.  I lost a pound already. Yeah!

Most difficult thing for me so far...Running the Daytona Half Marathon with a 2 inch stress fracture in my tibia, and didn't know it.  I just knew I was experienceing great pain, and people were walking past me.  I was left in the back of the pack...with the walkers...passing me...Times like that you wish the race was larger, like a few 1,000 larger so it would not be noticable.

After that second hardest thing is doing fartlics with my running friend who has greater stamina than I do.  So I eat her dust everytime. I have endurance, just no stamina to maintain a good pace for long. -Karen

2011-04-20 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Sorry your Boston didn't turn out the way you expected Steve but there is always next year and you are a million miles ahead of the billions of people that couldn't even attempt a Boston.

As for the hardest thing I have physically done... I haven't really participated in many races  of any sort but I would say 12hrs of hiking on the Great Wall had my legs giving out from under me near the end of 25-30k of ups and downs.  Maybe climbing some volcanos all day and night in Indonesia, there the altitude and loose rock was the killer.  Hopefully soon I will add triathlons and long distance bike touring to the list! 

Oh yeah and it is snowing here right now... I mean really?!  So much for my 2 hr bike today, maybe just a swim and weights are in order.

Marcus

2011-04-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3456821

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
mn_av8or - 2011-04-21 1:31 AM

Sorry your Boston didn't turn out the way you expected Steve but there is always next year and you are a million miles ahead of the billions of people that couldn't even attempt a Boston.

As for the hardest thing I have physically done... I haven't really participated in many races  of any sort but I would say 12hrs of hiking on the Great Wall had my legs giving out from under me near the end of 25-30k of ups and downs.  Maybe climbing some volcanos all day and night in Indonesia, there the altitude and loose rock was the killer.  Hopefully soon I will add triathlons and long distance bike touring to the list! 

Oh yeah and it is snowing here right now... I mean really?!  So much for my 2 hr bike today, maybe just a swim and weights are in order.

Marcus

SNOW!?!? Really?!? We are well into the hot days of summer here. So enjoy a little more cool training days.

You have traveled a lot.  Very jealous right now. -Karen

2011-04-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3447794

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Begiinner Banquet -Open for seating

Hi E'one

My name Is Troy (38 y/y)

I am starting to train for my First Sprint Tri

Married to a triathlete/half marathoner/soon to be marathoner (Chicago 2011), two daughters: Hailey (11) and Hannah (9)

Date of upcoming race and type of race: Pleasant Prairie WI Sprint Tri - June 26th (Hope this isn't too soon to join!)

My Base is all running, about 30 miles per week (LOTS of interval and hill work to get fast).  Never swam nor biked, XTrain is weight training

Weight: I like where I am, but I also like when I am 155 for running.  10 lbs away from that.

Totally run focused now.  Running the Kenosha Half Mary on 5/7, then Chicago Ragnar relay June 11-12.

Good luck in Boston (er, I hope you did well).  did the wind have any effect on your time?

Edited by t-royboy 2011-04-20 1:36 PM
2011-04-20 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Congrats Baowolf!  Tough race, but you persevered and did great!  How is your recovery going?

1.  Toughest thing physically? -- Helping my uncle roof a house in 100+ degree Texas summer when I was a youngun.  The $50 he paid me was NOT worth it.  Also 2-a-days on my college volleyball team.  Workout 3 hrs in the morning, soak in tub, too tired to eat, oh *$%& it's time to go back for round two.  Weird I have to think back that long....maybe I need to put more effort in on race days.

2.  Tri question -- I just got bike shoes that clip in...have ridden with them twice now, and fallen the same number of times.  No lasting harm, just discovered that indecision about whether I'm stopping is NOT my friend.  I know I'll get better at it, and clipping in is easier already.  But would I be better off to just wear my running shoes on the bike in my next tri 5/15 (sprint w/ 16 mile bike)?

Off to inspire someone

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61