BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-04-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - OPEN
Deb, look at the OLY plans on the site here. I was on the run focused plan (2 bike, 2 swim, 3 run) and was happy with it.

2011-04-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3452618

User image

Champion
Calgary
nick_318is - 2011-04-18 10:39 AM

BigDH - 2011-04-17 9:04 PM Dave and Nik, Thanks for posting your plan for the week. Nik, moving stuff around is an awesome way to deal with things, just be careful not to move stuff off the chart, which can be pretty easy with swimming.

When you say off the chart, do you mean just not doing the workout?  I really want to try and get all my workouts done in any given week, they might not always be on the same day but I don't want to short change myself in one area, especially with swimming.  The only time I go AWOL will be in about a month when I'm in Europe on vacation for 10 days.  I'll be walking A LOT and maybe doing a few runs but swimming and biking won't be options.  This was part of the reason I wanted to do the 20 week plan vs 16 so I would have some extra time.  I'll have some questions about my workout plan when that gets closer.

In other news, thanks for sending that snow to Detroit, now I have to ride inside today.

Yeah, that is what I mean.

Don't sweat the holiday. But just be prepared for when you return, you may not want to get back at it.

Yeah, about the snow....sorry.
2011-04-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3452764

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-04-18 11:34 AM

BigDH - 2011-04-18 8:22 AM oops, I mean to say WHEN you get the workouts in.

Darn right, I "missed" 7 work outs in the past 5 months but I have also slammed a few extras in there to so I think I am about even.

That is a pretty good run, only missing 7 workouts in 5 months. I would say even amazing.

After 10 weeks on my marathon program I finally ended up short changing a 18k'er because of a little taper I ended up doing for my HM.

They say one workout doesn't really make a difference but there is a psychological benefit I think of hitting everyone you can.
2011-04-18 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Very nice race report Deb,

Here is my little recap for those of you interested.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2011-04-18 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

I'm not Canadian so is it possible to join you guys?

Story - got started in tri's 2 years ago as a way to stay active and not run as much.  I was fighting knee pain from being overweight.  First tri was just what I expected, actually finished within 1 minute of my goal time.  Worked hard during the off season, lost 50+ pounds and finished my 2nd tri 16 seconds behind the winner of the Clydesdale division.  

2010 ended up being a great 1st full season with 4 1st, a 2nd, and a 5th place finish in the 0-39 Clyde division.  

2011 is already underway with my first Duathlon, a PR (sub 2 hour) half mary, and just this past weekend my first wetsuit legal sprint tri.  My next big race is a May 1st Oly then 5-7 sprint tris during the summer before finally ending the year with my 1st HIM in November.

I am 34, married for 12 years with 2 boys, 6 & 9.  I am a Certified Athletic Trainer and teach metal & wood shop at a local high school.

2011-04-18 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3453452

User image

Champion
Calgary
cwpeters,

Of course, the more the merrier.

And wow, that is a busy summer you have planned. You get the same question as everyone else, You have a plan you are following?

2011-04-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3453465

User image

Regular

Welcome to the group CWpeters.  What's your real name, by the way?

Alright.  I'm leaning towards the 20 week 3x a week Oly plan.  I've been kind of making my own plans, and I don't think it's the best bet for me.  A couple thoughts on it though:

I think I'm going to convert the times to distances for the runs and bikes.  I just prefer to plan how far I'm going rather then how long.  (Easier to plan out my route too.)  If I were to guess the run times are likely based on a 6:00/km, what do you think the bike times would be based on?  Or is this just a bad idea and I should just run and bike based on time?

The run distances are a huge drop for me, coming off half marathon training.  Could I get away with running more then it says in the plan?  I actually really enjoy my long runs, and had been thinking I would keep my long one at least 12-14 km.  Would I be better off to just drop that volume anyways?  Admittedly, I haven't been biking much, so maybe it would be good to drop the run volume, since I'm upping the bike?

Same with the swim actually.  I'm going to be doing more then the plan says.  I have a 1 hour tri club program Monday nights.  Then on other nights, I usually do around 45 minutes.  Not sure I want to drop that time.  I feel like with the time it takes to get to the pool (not that it's far) and dried off afterwards, I may as well spend a bit more time swimming.

Am I overthinking this?  I know the plan is written that way for a reason.  I'm not an expert, so perhaps I shouldn't mess with it...

2011-04-18 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak
Nice race reports guys, sounds like it made for an interesting race.
2011-04-18 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3453501

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
_Deb_ - 2011-04-18 5:38 PM

Alright.  I'm leaning towards the 20 week 3x a week Oly plan.  I've been kind of making my own plans, and I don't think it's the best bet for me.  A couple thoughts on it though:

I think I'm going to convert the times to distances for the runs and bikes.  I just prefer to plan how far I'm going rather then how long.  (Easier to plan out my route too.)  If I were to guess the run times are likely based on a 6:00/km, what do you think the bike times would be based on?  Or is this just a bad idea and I should just run and bike based on time?

The run distances are a huge drop for me, coming off half marathon training.  Could I get away with running more then it says in the plan?  I actually really enjoy my long runs, and had been thinking I would keep my long one at least 12-14 km.  Would I be better off to just drop that volume anyways?  Admittedly, I haven't been biking much, so maybe it would be good to drop the run volume, since I'm upping the bike?

Same with the swim actually.  I'm going to be doing more then the plan says.  I have a 1 hour tri club program Monday nights.  Then on other nights, I usually do around 45 minutes.  Not sure I want to drop that time.  I feel like with the time it takes to get to the pool (not that it's far) and dried off afterwards, I may as well spend a bit more time swimming.

Am I overthinking this?  I know the plan is written that way for a reason.  I'm not an expert, so perhaps I shouldn't mess with it...

If you are already way up on the run I would say to continue to build that, but not at the sacrifice to the bike. I think a lot of the plans assume someone is fairly inactive so the plans ease into it slowly. The fact that you are currently running half marathon distances would certainly prove that you are a little ahead of the curve. I would say that the plans are scalable just be sure not to ramp things up more than 10% per week. Personally I would keep your run up but not at the sacrifice to the bike.

If you want to base things on distance thats fine I like the time based plan as it removes a lot of the planning. If a run calls for 40 minutes I leave my house, run 20 minutes then turn around and go back(great way to force negative splits too!). For a 7km run I would have to build a route, probably print a map and actually follow it.
2011-04-18 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3453747

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-04-18 7:08 PM

_Deb_ - 2011-04-18 5:38 PM

If you are already way up on the run I would say to continue to build that, but not at the sacrifice to the bike. I think a lot of the plans assume someone is fairly inactive so the plans ease into it slowly. The fact that you are currently running half marathon distances would certainly prove that you are a little ahead of the curve. I would say that the plans are scalable just be sure not to ramp things up more than 10% per week. Personally I would keep your run up but not at the sacrifice to the bike.

If you want to base things on distance thats fine I like the time based plan as it removes a lot of the planning. If a run calls for 40 minutes I leave my house, run 20 minutes then turn around and go back(great way to force negative splits too!). For a 7km run I would have to build a route, probably print a map and actually follow it.

I agree regarding keeping your run training for all those reasons.

I think it is a great idea to train via distance. I trained by time for the longest time but really you don't race a certain time you race a certain distance. On the bike and the swim I am not sure it matters as much for running. There is no coasting in running. If you are slow runner, which both of us are, and throwing in walk breaks...well, running/walking for 60 min is a lot different than running/walking 10k, I learned that the hard way. Although, on easy workout days I think it is more permisable to substitute time in for distance as the point of an easy workout is more to just get the time and do some active recovery.

I would guess, maybe, 25k an hour if you are going to translate time to distance for the bike.

I don't think you are overthinking things. It is good to be critical and try to taylor plans to your situation. But if you change it, be sure to follow it. If you can't follow then you will need to re-evaluate.
2011-04-18 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Thanks for welcoming me in.  My real name is Chris.  I am currently using one of the BT Olympic plans in the Silver membership level but I don't remember which one.  I have already downloaded my HIM plan into my training log, so that's the plan name that shows at the top of my logs.  I only have 2 more weeks on the Oly plan before it ends, so I am looking for something to get me through the majority of the summer.  I really need to improve my swimming.  I am sponsored by a local bike store that has a USAT Coach on staff, I plan on meeting with her to set something up.  Up to this point I have used various BT plans.

Plans for this week are:

Str: 
45m
S: 2400.00 Yd 
50m
R: 6.00 Mi
1h 00m 
B: 23.00 Mi 
1h 15m 
Str: 
45m
S: 2550.00 Yd 
55m
B: 25.00 Mi 
1h 25m 
R: 4.00 Mi
40m 
R: 7.00 Mi
1h 10m

2011-04-19 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

looks like a good week, do you run your bike/run days as bricks?

I have done a few and my plan that I just started calls for a brick every week.

2011-04-19 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Have a good day everyone. I am off to drive all over southern alberta. Gonna try to get my run in on the side of thw highway or something.

It is only Tuesday and I am all ready looking forward to the end of this week.
2011-04-19 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Daren, I'm feeling the same way today.  Didn't sleep great yesterday and I just want a couple days off from working.  Thankfully I have this Friday off and I'm taking next Friday off.  Today is a rest day so hopefully I can just relax.

You guys were talking about distances vs minutes, I agree having a distance in mind is helpful.  Since I am establishing a running pace I like to look at how many minutes my plan calls for and try to map out a distance that corresponds.

The only time I think minutes work okay is on the trainer or a treadmill, cause lets face it you're not really going anywhere.

2011-04-19 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Springs
sign me up
2011-04-19 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
welcome aboard remodelig47

Tell us a bit about yourself and what your plans for the season are.

2011-04-19 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So how is everyone's week going?

I had an interesting workout today. Was supposed to be 14k with 5 X 600 meters at 5k pace which I think is 4:40. Anyways.

So I am going to this meeting but I brought my running stuff, so I get there and the guy isn't there. They say he will be back "soon", well what does that mean. So I am in the middle of nowhere down this dirt road but it is gorgous outside so I go out and change into my running clothes and do 7k and do 5 X600 all less than 4:30 pace. So awesome right. Guy shows up I have my meeting. Then I drive into town for this other meeting but I am a bit early so I do another 7k then finish it off with 2 more 600 repeats at less than a 4:20 pace.

So, not exactly what was scheduled but got something in.
2011-04-20 8:39 AM

User image

Regular

Thanks for the feedback on the plan.  I am going to convert the run and bike to distance rather then time.  I'll keep the time for bikes in my plan as well in case I ride on the trainer or pulling the kids in our chariot though.  I just feel more accomplishment in finishing a distance then in finishing a time.  I'm also going to keep my run volume higher then it is in the Olympic plan.  I'm playing with the idea of a fall half marathon, so that way I can keep the option open.

I juggled things and moved my rest day to yesterday rather then Friday.  I had a massage booked yesterday and the inlaws get here Thursday night.  (An excuse to get away for some time is appreciated when the inlaws are visiting.)

Once I start my Olympic plan next week though, I'm going to keep the juggling to a minimum.  I'm also going to go back to doing early morning runs on weekdays.  I did that last summer and I feel like it helps cement my routine for me.  I wish I could do swims early morning too, but the pool doesn't open early enough, so I'm stuck with evenings for that.

2011-04-20 8:43 AM

User image

Regular

Welcome to the group remodelig47.  Same question as I asked Chris: what's your real name? 

Darren, great job on the run.  Nice way to fit it in.

2011-04-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3455674

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

BigDH - 2011-04-19 8:14 PM  So I am in the middle of nowhere down this dirt road but it is gorgous outside so I go out and change into my running clothes and do 7k and do 5 X600 all less than 4:30 pace. So awesome right. Guy shows up I have my meeting. Then I drive into town for this other meeting but I am a bit early so I do another 7k then finish it off with 2 more 600 repeats at less than a 4:20 pace. So, not exactly what was scheduled but got something in.

thats smokin' dude, I love squeezing in the extra little sessions

2011-04-20 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3456591

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-04-20 9:59 AM

BigDH - 2011-04-19 8:14 PM  So I am in the middle of nowhere down this dirt road but it is gorgous outside so I go out and change into my running clothes and do 7k and do 5 X600 all less than 4:30 pace. So awesome right. Guy shows up I have my meeting. Then I drive into town for this other meeting but I am a bit early so I do another 7k then finish it off with 2 more 600 repeats at less than a 4:20 pace. So, not exactly what was scheduled but got something in.

thats smokin' dude, I love squeezing in the extra little sessions

lol, well it is smoking for me. But it is per km not per mile.

Now I am off for a 29 ker, but I can't finding my friggin headphones. Going to be a long three hours, just me and my thoughts.

2011-04-20 6:41 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Had a great run. Thought it would suck royally because I had no tunes but turned out I ran into some pretty cool people who ran with me for a bit and made the time fly.
2011-04-20 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Deb - I have done both types of plans from BT, ones with times and ones with distances.  I much prefer the distance plans.  Its just easier to map out a 25 mile ride rather than a 1 hour 20 minute ride.  The other types of plans I have used are the RPE and HR Zone plans.  I really struggled with the HR Zone plans until I recalculated my max heart rate.

Darren - Sounds like you train the same way I do, squeezing it in where ever and when ever you can.  I teach part-time in the morning and then have to be back on campus for after school practices and all home sporting events.  Because of our schools rotating class schedule, some days I'm done teaching by 9, others 10:30, some 12, and still other 1.  At the beginning of every week, I have to arrange my workouts so that I can make it to the pool on the days I get out early.

The good thing about working at a high school is having keys to the track, so today after practices were over I got in my speed work run before heading out to my boys' baseball practice.  Tomorrow will be a catch up day with a swim in the morning and a ride in the afternoon.  

2011-04-21 6:46 AM

Hello,

If your ok with a newbie UK member, I would like to join in on the fun!!

I normally sign up for something with all good intentions to train!! 2 marathons later I think I need to train more regularly and consistenly!!  The first marathon I was reasonably fit from running 1and 1/2 miles each wayhe station to work, I did one 6 mile run a few weeks before.

The second one I was sure I would train properly for, however it never really kicked off until 6 weeks before.  I built up quickly to 8 miles, which was my main training distance.  I did a 13 mile training run to check the distance and then did the marathon.  It went ok, but it was very hot (for UK spring anyway!!).  Fortunately in the past I have been very fit, with good endurance. 

I do enjoy training once I get going!!  Getting going is the issue.  I can be really committed once I can schedule into my getting to work routine.  But its not always possible.  Once I have a bit of a plan then I am normally ok, even if its just getting it done!!

I want to start training to get very fit again, also I have thought triathlon might suit me a bit more than running alone.  So thats why I am here!!

I am looking to maybe do a Olympic in Sept, I might do a sprint as part of training and to get a feel of it etc.  I must admit the half IM looks quite appealing who knows from there.

I havent got as far as a training plan as yet, I will need to seriously build on my swimming technique though!!  I have found a triathlon club just down the road from me so I might try to meet up with them.

My name is Mark and I am 38.

Cheers,

2011-04-21 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey Mark, welcome to to our group, pull up a chair, make yourself at home....

I think a triathlon club is a great idea. I know there are a couple in Calgary but they are located too far from my house and I tend to train at odd hours and like to be home in the evenings.

Is anyone else in club?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21