BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-04-20 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3456668

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - OPEN
nhermes - 2011-04-20 12:25 PM

It took me 29:39 to swim the mile, but that's not counting my breaks between each 300. I might try it again this weekend with fewer breaks not sure yet.

As for my race I actually have a goal of top 10 and if I feel in shape I'll try to win it. I imagine as a college swimmer you have a pretty big competitive side also. My main problem for the race will be the biking which is only 10 miles, but my options right now are a mountain bike with road tires or maybe a cheap road bike the GMC Denali. I've seen in forums people suggesting both directions and the review on here says the road bike is not bad. Do you or anyone else in this group have a suggestion on which one to choose?

Whatever you are more comfortable on.

If it were me, I'd ride the GMC Denali. You'll be able to get a little more aero, and you're on something much more suitable for the course, especially with the gearing. Ask around about borrowing a bike, too. You never know what you'll come across.

For my first tri, I rode my dad's road bike which was too big. For my second, I rode an old steel frame Nishiki Mixte. Any bike that will get you there will work!

2011-04-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3456690

User image

Regular
Norman
Thanks Ken and Elaine. Right now I am trying to find one to borrow, but if I can't I'm considering buying the Denali in a week or so just so I can get used to it and figure out everything before race day. Changing tires, etc.
2011-04-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3436233

Hi Elaine, I'd love to join your group, too

NAME: Shannon (shannonh20)

STORY: 41 yrs old and have been less active than I would like. I just moved to a country club where we have bike trails, swimming, tennis and running and walking teams.  This is the first time I have lived in an area so conducive to training for a tri.  I did a 1/2 marathon a few years ago but have just been training intermittently since then. 

FAMILY STATUS: Living with my SO and his two kids. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Just starting out this week. . .

2011 RACES: I am registered for a Sprint tri on July 16!

WEIGHTLOSS: This is a real area of "opportunity" for me.  Weight has crept on but I know it can come off. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone and getting started. 

Shannon

2011-04-20 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3456800

User image

Pro

Hi Shannon! Welcome to the group!

Make sure you log your workouts here. Are you doing a plan from this site or just getting started on your own first? 

That country club sounds like a great place to live and to be active! 

2011-04-20 7:26 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA

Hi, Elaine.  I'd like to join the group if you still have room Smile

NAME: Tom (ladlehaus)

STORY: I was the typical high school athlete that got fat and lazy in college and continued being fat and lazy throughout early adulthood. I finally got tired of it and jumped into triathlon last spring. My wife calls it my midlife crisis; I prefer to think of it as my early-midlife crisis--31 is too early to be midlife, right? Anyways, I ran three sprints last year and loved it. Even my first one that almost had me pull out on the bike was a blast. Any race that I can finish, I consider a win. This year I'm looking forward to running a HIM and watching my son run in his first triathlon, and maybe even running the local super sprint with my son and my dad.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children: Benjamin 9 and Genevieve 7.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in week 3 of BT's Beginning HIM training plan. Unfortunately this week I'm also trying to get over an injured hamstring from a soccer game over the weekend.

2011 RACES: The Dam Tri (sprint), the Pittsburgh Triathlon (oly), our local YMCA tri (sprint), and Timberman 70.3.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 30 lbs. since last year to get to 185. I'd like to lose 20-30 more.

2011-04-20 8:25 PM

User image

New user
Iowa

Hi Elaine - can I join too?

NAME: Elena (etakla)

STORY: 42 (will be 43 in June)  and am a Technical Recruiter who lives in Iowa but born and raised in Michigan.  I grew up a swimmer but stopped around age 17.  On and off gym rat in my 20s  gained weight, lost weight, married, had babies THEN started hitting it hard at the gym in my early 30s.  Competed in a figure competition in March of 2005 (3rd place Masters) and then got out of shape again.  Relocated to Iowa in July of 2009 and embraced the active outdoor lifestyle here.  Competed in the Scheels Duathlon in May 2010, bike leg of tri relay (HyVee June 2010) , Des Moines 1/2 Marathon Oct 2010 and Living History trail run November 2010 (total BLAST if anyone is in or around Iowa - fills up fast tho).  Love the lifestyle and people I've met and bike/run with!  Looking forward to my first couple of Tris this yearLaughing

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 16 years - two girls - 13 and 11

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 3x per week now with co-workers and following the schedule my friend is doing as she is training for a marathon in October.  Probably will back off miles when her long runs get too long but for now just doing what she does! (i.e. this week a 5 mile, 6 mile and 8 mile),  bike 2x  week or so and swim when I feel like it (once/week but should probably increase).  Most training is EARLY in the morning before anyone gets up!

2011 RACES:

Dam to Dam 20K June 4

Copper Creek Tri - Spring - late June

HyVee Olympic Tri - September 3

Des Moines 1/2 marathon - mid October

Living History Farms trail run (7 miles or so) - mid November

WEIGHTLOSS: generally fluctuate between 137 and 142 but would really like to be 130-132

2011-04-21 8:29 AM

User image

Pro

Hi Tom! Welcome to the group! 31 is not old enough for a mid-life crisis Maybe a 1/3 life crisis? I really like the quote in your signature. Glad to have you among the athletes again and off the couch! The Beginner HIM is a great plan that has gotten many, many athletes to the finish line of the first HIM, and more. Just make sure you let your hamstring heal. Don't push too hard now, or it'll come back to get you later. It looks like your training has been pretty solid. What are your goals for the HIM? Any concerns? Timberman looks like a gorgeous course! 

Hi Elena! Welcome! I checked out your logs - with those times, your goal of top 1/3 of your tri should be well within reach. I'd stick with running with your marathon friend, but use the mileage here: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm as a good idea of where to start cutting back from her plan. You can also try the custom plan creator here to create a run-focused triathlon plan with higher run mileage. I actually have done my best sprint tri while training for an olympic, so if you already have the base there, don't be afraid to train a bit longer.

2011-04-21 9:08 AM

Elaine,

I  read the bio of the other open mentors and something about yours got my attention.  So, to that end, I would like to join your group.

I just turned 40 one month ago today and it took me a bit to acknolwled that I am middle age! I have done 3 sprint tri's and 1 marathon.  I want to do an olympic tri and I know that I am going to need help, this is why I  NEED a mentor.  I plan to do this race, with my friend, in Oct 11.

I live in phx metro area and love to travel.  I am gay with a partner of 16 years.  We have no children or pets, but  loving families, repectfully, who have blessed us with a host of neices and nephews.

2011-04-21 11:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by melbel1038 2011-04-21 12:54 PM
2011-04-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3458814

Pro

Welcome Melanie!

I wanted to do that reverse tri, but I'm job searching and might be moving, so I didn't register. Have fun! It should be a blast! I did the Miami Man last year, but just the Olympic distance. The course is pretty nice, and the event is really well-run. You should love it

The ING marathon should be far enough away from the Miami Man to allow you to build that run volume safely. 

Your 20 in 2 challenge is pretty awesome, and a great motivation to get out running!

I'm so happy that triathlon is a part of what keeps you happy and healthy. 

Are you thinking of adding any other races this season?

2011-04-21 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3458383

Pro
Subject: RE: Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - CLOSED!
ERiley007 - 2011-04-21 10:08 AM

Elaine,

I  read the bio of the other open mentors and something about yours got my attention.  So, to that end, I would like to join your group.

I just turned 40 one month ago today and it took me a bit to acknolwled that I am middle age! I have done 3 sprint tri's and 1 marathon.  I want to do an olympic tri and I know that I am going to need help, this is why I  NEED a mentor.  I plan to do this race, with my friend, in Oct 11.

I live in phx metro area and love to travel.  I am gay with a partner of 16 years.  We have no children or pets, but  loving families, repectfully, who have blessed us with a host of neices and nephews.

Hi! Welcome to the group! Care to share your real name, or do you just want to be ERiley? Either way is fine with me

You've got plenty of time to get ready for the Olympic distance in October - about 24 weeks. What is your fitness like now? What's your swim, bike, run volume? Have you checked out any of the plans here or somewhere else? Let me know what I can do to help you out

2011-04-21 1:54 PM

Pro

With 13 members including myself, this group is now CLOSED!

So, quick update on my training - I saw the Physical Therapist this morning. We foam rollered, stretched, ultrasounded, and iced. I'm supposed to alternate run/walk every minutes for 10 minutes this weekend, and stop if I feel pain. I'm excited. I haven't ran in a month! We talked about my Olympic distance race next weekend. I'm seeing her THREE times next week, and on Friday, she'll let me know if I can run/walk or if I need to just walk. I'm happy to feel like I'm finally on the road to recovery

How is everyone else doing?

2011-04-21 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3459220

2011-04-21 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3459250

Edited by melbel1038 2011-04-21 2:59 PM
2011-04-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3459431

Pro
melbel1038 - 2011-04-21 3:59 PM
ratherbeswimming - 2011-04-21 2:54 PM

With 13 members including myself, this group is now CLOSED!

So, quick update on my training - I saw the Physical Therapist this morning. We foam rollered, stretched, ultrasounded, and iced. I'm supposed to alternate run/walk every minutes for 10 minutes this weekend, and stop if I feel pain. I'm excited. I haven't ran in a month! We talked about my Olympic distance race next weekend. I'm seeing her THREE times next week, and on Friday, she'll let me know if I can run/walk or if I need to just walk. I'm happy to feel like I'm finally on the road to recovery

How is everyone else doing?

I hope you get to ease back into running again!   Good luck with the Oly.  I imagine you are really itching to get running again.

My training week came to a screeching halt yesterday.  I did a 20 mile bike ride Tuesday but I've been fighting this nagging cough.  My philosophy is to keep training as long as I FEEL ok though I may have symptoms.  Well I've felt ok.  No fever.  Have been a little tired but had the deep chesty cough thanks to my 4 year old.  I had this same thing 6 weeks ago (and sidelined me for a half mary I had registered for) and also in November (during Miami Man)....hmm maybe my philosophy is flawed LOL.  So anyway instead of heading to the gym to swim I went to a walk in clinic and they thought I might have pneumonia so they xrayed and took bloodwork.  Turns out to be just asthmatic bronchitis thankfully but I've been side lined at least through the weekend.  Lots of meds.  So I guess I'm relaxing thru Sunday at least.  I normally take Monday off so I might just start back up Tuesday if I feel up to it.

Rest. Stretch. Get well soon!

2011-04-21 3:40 PM

Pennsylvania

Finally getting a week where training is more regular: no multi-state drives or illness!   Planning on doing my first ever non-stop mile swim tomorrow night at the pool, so if anyone has any advice, tips, or general words of wisdom I would appreciate it!

A little frustrated with how my Garmin 305 is not working with my cadence/speed sensor while riding inside on the bike on the trainer.  It worked like a charm for a few months since I installed it, but for the past few rides the numbers are clearly wrong.  I will have to check into it further; I checked the sensors themselves last night and they seem to be positioned correctly, and a quick look at the watch settings seems OK, too.  IDK.

I'm getting a bit freaked out about the fact that my first Olympic distance race is in 6 weeks and I haven't been running since late January because of knee issues.  I need to call my orthopedic doc to see if I got insurance approval for a Synvisc shot yet, but that scares me a bit, too, worried I may be one of the few folks that is allergic to the shot or it has a detrimental effect rather than helping.  Anyone ever have one of these shots or know anyone who did?

Welcome to all the new folks, and to the other Melanie! Smile

Good luck with your race this weekend, Elaine.  Make sure you give us a report!

2011-04-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3458284

Regular
Western PA
ratherbeswimming - 2011-04-21 9:29 AM

Hi Tom! Welcome to the group! 31 is not old enough for a mid-life crisis Maybe a 1/3 life crisis? I really like the quote in your signature. Glad to have you among the athletes again and off the couch! The Beginner HIM is a great plan that has gotten many, many athletes to the finish line of the first HIM, and more. Just make sure you let your hamstring heal. Don't push too hard now, or it'll come back to get you later. It looks like your training has been pretty solid. What are your goals for the HIM? Any concerns? Timberman looks like a gorgeous course! 

Thanks, Elaine.  I know I have to let my hammy heal, but it's tough. I feel so lazy this week, and I just got a new pair of running shoes. Extra biking and swimming until it's back well enough to run. 

My only goal for Timberman is to finish before they close the course. I really enjoyed some longer bike rides last fall, so I wanted to do a longer race this year. I'm a little concerned about the big hill on the bike course; I didn't do hills well last year. But there are tons of hills where I live, so I'll have time to prepare for it, if it ever stops raining here.

2011-04-21 9:30 PM

New user
Iowa

Well this week training has been pretty good.  The weather has been iffy but we have managed to get a couple of outdoor runs in. The bike rides have been inside - one on a regular exercise bike and one on a spin bike.  I am looking forward to getting outside for a ride but it has been raining so much!

My running friends and I are planning 6 in the morning but rain is in the forecast - if it is too bad I will swim tomorrow and we will do the run on Saturday so we are covered either way (weekend looks decent weather-wise -- Yay!)

Diet has been really good this week - I had been out of control for a couple weeks so started planning and logging this week which helps a ton.  I did have a business lunch today (hate those - always too much temptation!) so I got a grilled chicken sandwich with fruit and didn't eat the bun (well maybe a bite or twoWink  )

I love being part of an on-line group and am really looking forward to watching everyone hit their goals throughout the season!

Elena

2011-04-21 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3459529

New user
Iowa
melbo55 - 2011-04-21 3:40 PM

Finally getting a week where training is more regular: no multi-state drives or illness!   Planning on doing my first ever non-stop mile swim tomorrow night at the pool, so if anyone has any advice, tips, or general words of wisdom I would appreciate it!

A little frustrated with how my Garmin 305 is not working with my cadence/speed sensor while riding inside on the bike on the trainer.  It worked like a charm for a few months since I installed it, but for the past few rides the numbers are clearly wrong.  I will have to check into it further; I checked the sensors themselves last night and they seem to be positioned correctly, and a quick look at the watch settings seems OK, too.  IDK.

I'm getting a bit freaked out about the fact that my first Olympic distance race is in 6 weeks and I haven't been running since late January because of knee issues.  I need to call my orthopedic doc to see if I got insurance approval for a Synvisc shot yet, but that scares me a bit, too, worried I may be one of the few folks that is allergic to the shot or it has a detrimental effect rather than helping.  Anyone ever have one of these shots or know anyone who did?

Melanie - good luck with the swim tomorrow!  You will feel awesome afterward I bet - what a milestone - a whole mile of swimming!

I was really frustrated with my Garmin heart rate strap today.  It was one of those days where the strap wouldn't pick up the heart rate so I was on the stupid bike that doesn't have a TV and the heart rate thing wasn't working AND I had lost the soft ear thingy off one side of my headphones!  Total equipment malfunction - not the most pleasurable ride - LOL!

Sorry about your knee - injuries stink.  I totally messed up my back somehow last year a week before my duathlon - don't even know what I did but just woke up in pain a week before the event.  I've never heard of a Synvisc shot so can't speak to any effects but I hope you can get something that will work for you!

Have a great night!

E

2011-04-21 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3459992

Veteran
jenks

Hey Guys and all the new people.  Thank you for the positive notes about my race.  Right now I am feeling really good about my fitness and ready for the oly.  I am looking forward to seeing how others do during their races. 

I am getting back on board the training boat after my race.  It is great to see everyone starting to fill up the training logs. 

2011-04-21 11:44 PM
in reply to: #3456548

Regular
little kate - 2011-04-20 8:45 AM

HI guess I can bike ok, but lack a vehicle, and am RUBBISH at swimming (i.e. flail through a lap at most).

Nice to have you in our group Kate! Don't worry too much about the swimming- I went lap swimming for the first time 5 years ago and could barely make it across the 25 yard pool (couldn't even put my face in the water lol). The next year I completed my first Olympic tri with a 1500m open water swim (OWS), so anything is possible! My advice: take a swim class if you can. At this point, technique is everything!

2011-04-21 11:54 PM

Regular
melbo55 - 2011-04-21 1:40 PM.

I don't know exactly what the situation is with your knee,  but I did my first Oly tri on an injured knee (didn't know what was wrong with it at the time, thought I had just sprained it a few months before). Because of the injury I hadn't been running at all before the race, but I had been swimming and biking. I found that I was so warmed up by the time I got to the run that I didn't have any knee pain at all. I think that if you let pain be your guide and walk when you need to you can do it. I hope the treatment works out for you

2011-04-22 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3460107

Veteran
jenks

Little Kate,

I agree with IronCowgirl on the swimming.  If you just start getting some laps in and continue to add little bits it will build up for you faster than you might think.  You will also start to develop a swim stoke for yourself.  My wife was the same way about 1 year ago.  She went to a few masters classes at our pool and had some people give her a few pointers and now she loves the swim.  and beats me at it.  You are in the right group for need of swimming.  I would love to see what elaine has to say to help. 

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!" Dori (finding Nemo)

2011-04-22 8:00 AM

Pro
melbo55 - 2011-04-21 4:40 PM

For your mile, just relax! Take it 100 by 100. If you're struggling on a lap, do some drills and stretch out your strokes for 100 yards, and tell yourself that the next one will be better. You'll do fine!

I had my speed/cadance sensors start to act up. I took it to a bike shop, and he waved a stronger magnet over the sensors. After that, they worked again. They didn't charge me either. It might be worth either calling Garmin or just taking it into a shop. 

I've never had a Synvisc shot. Have you addressed your concerns with your doctor? They might have some good advice. 

For the Oly, have back-up plans on the run. If running starts to not work out, start on a run/walk interval. Be prepared to change that interval based on how you feel.

2011-04-22 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3459984

Pro
etakla - 2011-04-21 10:30 PM

Well this week training has been pretty good.  The weather has been iffy but we have managed to get a couple of outdoor runs in. The bike rides have been inside - one on a regular exercise bike and one on a spin bike.  I am looking forward to getting outside for a ride but it has been raining so much!

My running friends and I are planning 6 in the morning but rain is in the forecast - if it is too bad I will swim tomorrow and we will do the run on Saturday so we are covered either way (weekend looks decent weather-wise -- Yay!)

Diet has been really good this week - I had been out of control for a couple weeks so started planning and logging this week which helps a ton.  I did have a business lunch today (hate those - always too much temptation!) so I got a grilled chicken sandwich with fruit and didn't eat the bun (well maybe a bite or twoWink  )

I love being part of an on-line group and am really looking forward to watching everyone hit their goals throughout the season!

Elena

Logging what you eat is a HUGE help. I do it on occasion, usually inspired by feeling like I'm letting my eating get out of control.

Hope the weather clears up for you soon!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 12